Can trazodone be used as a pain reliever?

Marvell 20 Mar 2013

Trazodone has an "off label" use of treating headaches, but I'm not sure about its use as a general pain reliever.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/trazodone/

antbailey75 20 Mar 2013

Trazodone is used for depression, anxiety, sleeplessness and for chronic pain. Did not work for my pain, did help me sleep. Pill Wizard.com is my source of info for your question. Hope my answer helps.

madhupjoshimd 20 Mar 2013

yes, trazadone is used by physicians as a pain reliever & some individuals respond favorably.
please make sure & follow your doctors' recommendations & only make doctor recommended medicine dosage changes.
sincerely,
Madhup Joshi, MD
Maui, Hawaii

Jan4acure 21 Mar 2013

Regarding Trazodone. I have been prescribed this med. for sleep. I have found no info. anywhere that it is indicated for pain off label or otherwise. I have chronic pain (joint pain from untreated disseminated Lyme disease.) Absolutely no pain control benefits what-so-ever.

mhelcl 21 Mar 2013

I took it and it made me feel horrible. It did nothing for my pain but it did help me to fall asleep. The drowsy feeling before I fell a sleep was so unpleasant that I had to discontinue the drug.

sara12345 22 Mar 2013

Trazodone took away MOST of my fibromyalgia pain and has been a great sleeping pill for me, but as you can see, everyone responds differently to the medication. I do still have some pain and a lot of other medical problems associated with fibromyalgia. I don't know how Trazodone would work on any other kind of pain. It certainly hasn't helped with my migraines or neuropathic teeth pain.

ohanna 1 Apr 2018

Hi,

I also have fibro and I am going through tremendous pain and cannot figure out why I’m having all this pain. My inflammation blood work is high. You mentioned that trazodone has helped with the pain. How long were you on it before you noticed it helping? Are you in any other meds for pain? Hopefully you can help me understand fibro because Inreally don’t. Ty

sara12345 1 Apr 2018

When did you start having this tremendous pain? I'm not an expert about fibromyalgia, but I don't think that it would account for your high inflammation blood work. Go to a doctor or call to your doctor's office and ask them 1) Why is your inflammation blood work high? 2) Describe your tremendous pain and ask them why you are having it. People with fibromyalgia will have pain in various places, but the way you describe it, it sounds like something else. I would be interested to know what your doctor thinks. Or go to the ER or an urgent care facility if you are having tremendous pain. Hope that you will feel better soon.

Lillian Stochl 21 Jun 2018

I have terrible pain in my head from sinus infection will Trazodone help? after reading its an antidepressant I am a little nervous. I am not depressed just pissed off of the pain in my head. And I have been on 2 different kinds of antibiotics and once finished the pain came back.