Does tramadol cause opiod induced constipation?

jengre 22 Jun 2013

Yes it does. I take metamucil every night and sometimes morning if necessary. I don't have the problem anymore. If I miss a day it's ok, but try not to. It helps with other things as well so it's worth it.

MacIntosh12 23 Jun 2013

I agree with jengre, yes indeed it can cause constipation.
Best wishes,
Lara

ken31gin 23 Jun 2013

You are both so right. Although Tramadol is not a true narcotic it acts as a "booster" for narcotics, I can't think of the right word I'm looking for here but it does help narcotics work. And Metamucil works great, I take it every morning in my coffee. My doc said this is ok and ok to use it everyday. If a full dose is too much you can cut down and use less and it will still help with constipation. Hope this helps.

MacIntosh12 23 Jun 2013

Hi Gin,
Are you looking for this description, Tramadol is a synthetic opioid analgesic, even though doctors don't think it's a narcotic, it is described as narcotic like and can actually be a bit pernicious as it acts as an SNRI once it hits the brain, making it more addictive for some people than oxycodone. Sad, but true. And docs are handing it out right and left as if it's nothing, when I've seen and "talked to" hundreds of people that are horribly addicted to Tramadol or Ultram. (I'm not trying to be the least bit disrespectful Gin, just giving you my experience after being on this site for four years) I've seen too many posts about getting off of it. Wild stuff, yet it works for pain and depression, a doctor must taper her patients off of it just like a "true narcotic."
Hope I wasn't rude to you Gin!
Your friend,
Lara

Delila 23 Jun 2013

Hi, i'm interested to read this feed, i don't take Tramadol any more, but i suffered with constipation while taking it. But, i didn't eat much then. I didn't realise it was a common side effect.