after years of the same problems everyone here is reporting a GI Dr just prescribed Welchol for me - I'm wondering about whether it matters what time of day to take it? I have had diarrhea every morning, from immediately after breakfast and sometimes again late AM. never later in the day. she prescribed a low dose at bedtime (probably not to interfere with morning medications, vitamins, etc), but I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to how the timing works best?
Thetomas also the tablets should be taken whole here is the dose they say but follow the directions from your doctor. If the problems continue check with them next week..
Welchol Dosage and Administration
The recommended dose of Welchol Tablets in adults, whether used as monotherapy or in combination with a statin, is 6 tablets once daily or 3 tablets twice daily. Welchol Tablets should be taken with a meal and liquid.
It sounds like your system is producing too much bile. I have Chronic diarrhea thanks to Gallbladder surgery. It took me years to figure out the best dosage. Lots of experiments. What I found was:
- Your body produces a bulk of the bile for the day in the early morning hours, which is likely why your issues are mostly in the AM.
- If I take it at the same time every day (around 7:30 for me) and wait 1.5 hours before eating, then I have no diarrhea. I've been doing this for 3 months without issue.
- The timing catches the bile during the production cycle. The waiting gives the Welchol time to absorb the bile.
- I take two pills.
My recommendation: Start with 3 pills at 7:00 AM every morning. Wait 1.5 hours before eating. Adjust and tweak until you find what works best for your body.
Before figuring this out, I was taking 6 pills a day and it wasn't always working... So timing and waiting are very important. If I don't wait at least 1.5 hours, I will have issues.
- Welchol Information for Consumers
- Welchol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Welchol (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 14 May 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 4 Dec 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 13 Jun 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 24 Jul 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 1 Feb 2017 • 0 answers