Can I stop taking 15mg remeron after 4 days without any problems?

WildcatVet 25 Jan 2016

Hi, anon! After only 4 days you'd likely be fine but one should NEVER stop psychiatric medications except under a doctor's supervision. It was prescribed for a reason and you risk not only discontinuation side effects but also a rebound of the problem you took it for in the first place.
Best wishes, WCV

anonymous62 25 Jan 2016

Hi WVC, thank you for answering. I called my doc but have not received call back... don't see her for 2 wks and I'm not liking this drug. I was also prescribed 1mg klonopin for anxiety which is helping more. I don't want to get too deep into the remeron that I experience more side effects or withdrawals when stopped. I also take 50mg metoprolol at night and 100mg losartin in am both for blood pressure. I am experiencing side effects from the remeron and frankly, the drug scares me after doing research but not until after I started taking it.

I'm glad I found this site... grateful for the resource and people to reach out to. God bless you:)

janiebme 27 Jan 2016

Hi anon-
My doctor wanted to prescribe Remeron. I had researched it before he mentioned it. Like you, I did not like the list of side effects, most notably rapid weight gain and the possible withdrawal symptoms. I told my doc I would stick to Amitriptyline 25 mg PM for now. Very slowly tapering off the Amitriptyline 1/4 reduction over 2 week periods. So far no withdrawal symptoms. Check with your doctor regarding discontinuing it.Best of Luck to you :)

anonymous62 27 Jan 2016

Hi janie... thank you for sharing your experience with me. Unlike you, i didn't research effects of remeron before I started taking it but it didn't take me long to do so as I didn't like what i was experiencing after just a few doses. That's how I found this site, which is truly a blessing for gaining knowledge of what docs don't always tell us. We just want relief from our symptoms at the time. I did eventually hear back from my doc after I already decided to not take another dose of the remeron and she actually replaced it with trazodone. I told her I would stick with the 1mg klonopin 2xday for now as it's working for me. I then read about trazodone and no thank you on that either! I guess I mislead her in thinking I had insomnia or something but it's the anxiety... I don't want or need to be a zombie.