... effects. I was taking 5mg's a day. (I know not a lot... but I'm really small) How long will it take for the side effects to go away?-Or how long should it take to have the medicine out of my system?
Methimazole is rapidly metabolized and has a half life of 6 to 13 hours.
This means that every 6 to 13 hours, half of the previous amount of methimazole in your body disappears.
How long it takes your body to get rid of methimazole is very hard to determine and also depends on :
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
You should talk to your doctor if there is any specific side-effect you are concerned about.
- Methimazole Information for Consumers
- Methimazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Methimazole (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Updated 26 Nov 2011 • 1 answer
Updated 13 Jun 2013 • 4 answers
Updated 4 Aug 2015 • 2 answers
Updated 24 Jun 2013 • 1 answer
Updated 17 Oct 2017 • 1 answer