Does neurontin cause weight gain?

balbanese 23 Sep 2014

It can, water weight, so be sure to hydrate and don't change our eating habits.

summers02 5 Oct 2014

Thanks balbanese - I will have to give up my love of all things sweet, but so far I haven't had much of an appetite. The neurontin is helping with anxiety and sore joints - which is a nice win.

balbanese 5 Oct 2014

Yes, and giving up the sweets? A win win! I just went on a Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Sugar, Sugar substitute free diet. Within 3-days I felt brand new, not sure which of those made the difference, but I can say that once the sweets are gone, you will be amazed at the wonderful natural flavors out there. Also, beware of Fructose (in fruit) corn syrup, honey (all forms) and other sneaky ways sugar sneaks in.

pamee 23 Sep 2014

Neurontin can cause weight gain or weight loss, depending on your metabolisim. It can also increase appetite or make you crave certain types of foods like those high in carbohydrates or fat. The weight gain may be from a slow down of your metabolism or cause fluid retention.

summers02 5 Oct 2014

Thanks, Pamee. I do have an awful sweet tooth - so will have to watch that! (drat) I drink lots of water (always have) so maybe this will help. Only being 5'1" every pound shows.

pamee 5 Oct 2014

I agree (drat) lol take care!

mrbreezeet1 10 Jan 2015

I gained 20 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. Everybody said it was my fault, and it was cause I ate "breaded chicken" I say B/S.
I say it was the gabapentin.
I had the doctor take me off the gabapentin, and now l am depressed

summers02 11 Jan 2015

Sorry to hear this. Eating breaded chicken shouldn't cause such weight gain... don't listen to these people. Your doctor should be able to prescribe another medication to help with your depression - there are lots of choices. Please call the suicide help line or someone you trust, don't hurt yourself because you are worthy... no matter what!

Daftpunk69 30 Jun 2016

Well depends on how much breaded chicken and bow cooked, baked or fried. Bread is a simple carbohydrate which behaves in the same way in the body as sugar.

Paula cook 22 Feb 2015

I have severe pain in my neck. Every vertebrae in my neck is bulging and deterated. I take nerotins and hydrocodone for it. I have noticed a little weight gain. The pills help but I'm sick of having to take pills every day. I'm on 400 milligrams of nerotins 4 times a day. Does it cause weight gain.

Jamie Walker 7 Dec 2015

Dear Paula Cook,
Thank you for your time and effort to help folks out. I use to take Hyrocodone 10mgs 4 times a day with my 1200 mgs of Gabapentin which helped my Neck and spine very well ,
But I gained alot of weight. Then my doctor took me off the Hyrocodone and I've had severe PAIN. I gained 50 lbs. Due to the Gabapentin.

Savannah81 31 Jan 2016

I thought I was going crazy. I'm eating less and still gained 55 pounds. I thought it was the blocks. But now I see.
What's funny is that even though the studies say 2/3 % reported weight gain. But reading through comments I'm finding more than 50% of people are reporting significant weight gain with long term use.
I'm thinking the studies are not accurate.

stuwer231267 24 Mar 2015

I have been using gabapentin for almost 3 years along with morphine and I have put on loads of weight and my legs and feet have swollen up and my local nurse thinks it's lymphadema but I have been doing some research and gabapentin causes fluid in the feet (although it doesn't mention from the knees down).I had been getting weighed regularly and my weight just kept going up and up but I tried on holiday teeshirt that were bought for last year's holiday and they are 2 sizes too small for me.I can't exercise due to my lungs not working right,angina,kneecap keeps dislocating and now lymphadema so that could be part of the reason I'm gaining weight but I honestly don't eat a lot.i can go all day without eating then I can eat a little bit before I go to bed,so I'm not scoffing my face all day.im going back to my doctor and asking him to gradually take me off them as I was really sick in bed one day and forgot to take my medication at night and I woke ...

mrbreezeet1 24 Mar 2015

Sorry to hear all that you have it worse than I do for sure.
Hope you get to feeling better soon, and can start to enjoy life again.

Lin_Z_Rae 24 Sep 2015

Thanks for saying that. Gives me hope that I can stay on Remeron, which is ultimately what I assumed caused all the weight gain. I will omit gaba and see what happens. I have to take Lasix or I end up in ER with MAJOR swelling. Have had ultrasound of Veinous region and arterial and both were normal so u have to conclude the med mixture is the cause. A year ago I was only on 2 meds--now I have lost count! Tired of the roller coaster.

Jstyk 23 Jun 2015

I found neurontin itself didn't cause my weight gain (70+ lbs). It was the increased appetite hence change in eating habits that did it. Inspite of being more active with pain managed, I was REALLY enjoying food more than normal. If your appetite changes, definitely seek out support, it isn't anything to be embarrassed about.

btcgc 15 Jul 2015

I'm finding that gabapentin must be causing me to at least retain weight. Since starting on a small dose, that I refuse to titrate up as ordered, I have been working out regularly, eating very healthy -no carbs, no gluten, no sugar, or ANY processed foods. Just a couple of years ago when I did the same, I lost substantial weight. Now, despite same program, very little weight is coming off and very, very slowly. That's why I am now researching this topic and came to your question. I should be seeing more progress, therefore, that is why I am concluding that the neurontin must be causing me to retain weight. So with no change in eating habits, it could cause weight gain, but I suppose it all depends on your own metabolism prior to starting the med. Good luck. I want off!

DDPMK5OF6 24 Jul 2015

For me the answere is yes,. On the day I started Gabipentian 300mg 2x's a day, I weighed 148lbs. Before starting gabapentin my daily pain level of 7 to 10 with some days not being able to function at all (pain level off the chart.) Shortly after staring it, I noticed a reduction in my migraines, muscles spasms, it helped with all my pains. I was able to get dressed, cook, clean, have a life with a pain level of only about 4 to 5.
Less pain by 1/2, my energy & activity level more than double, & no change in my diet, I should be thrilled.
But I was gaining around 1lb a week, I thought my levethroxine might be off, however that was not the case.
I weighed 162lbs (a weight gain of 14 lbs) when I went on vacation for a week. I had forgot my Gabipentian at home and when I returned I did not start it back up.
My pain level is between 7 to 9, greatly reducing my ability to have a life. However, my weight is down to 151lbs

Lin_Z_Rae 6 Sep 2015

My advice is to try a diuretic, rx not otc, like Lasix or Spironolactone. The fluids and water weight can be the difference between wearing your new shoes or wearing slippers everywhere.

Karolina020 9 Sep 2015

You sound identical to me..Pain and chunky or no pain and thin.I've been on it for three months and almost 10 lbs irregular periods forget things. And fat..but upside I can function

tilellic 6 Aug 2015

I started taking this med when I went off Xanax and klonopin. I also was very careful about my weight bcuz I had previously been overweight and it is difficult to lose! I have spinal stenosis also, so this neorontin helps with both pain and anxiety. BUT, it is counterproductive, bcuz I have more pain AND anxiety when I'm heavy! I wish my doctor would have told me.

Lin_Z_Rae 6 Sep 2015

Benzodiazapines, like Xanax and Clonazepam, cause cravings for sweets that I feel can't be measured in comparison to Neurontin (gabapentin) or other anxioletic meds. I personally had an enormous weight increase when I was put on Remeron (Mirtazapine), gabapentin, AND Visaryl (hydroxyzine). My appetite went sky high. the Remeron caused peripheral Edema, sending me to the ER for a shot of Lasix. I am not exaggeating when I say I peed off 9 lbs in 24 hours. But I still have all this extra weight. My gp has ordered ultrasounds. Echocardiogram, blood work. This combo of meds is the only thing that helped my depression, Anxiety and insomnia, so they don't want me off the meds. It's unbareable being so heavy, but it was impossible living without the meds.

jayjacobson 25 Jun 2016

I have been taking neurontin for a couple of years now. I was already heavy, but now I am 300 plus. I need to stop taking this, but anxiety and chronic pain do suck. I asked my doc if I can taper down, and that is fine. I will report when I get back to my usual 250!

Stacymacquivey 22 Oct 2015

I would like to know if Neurotin makes ya gain weight?

JetCityWoman92 23 Jun 2016

I've been taking Gapapentin for a year now. I take 300mg capsules,600 mg a dose,every 12 hours if needed. Ever since my doctor put me on Gabapentin for a few reasons (Helps my Bipolar disorder..or as some would call it,Manic Depression,as well as the pinched nerve in my arm.) I noticed almost right away the medicine caused me to gain 25 pounds..and though I haven't gained anymore weight,I just wanted others to know yes,Gabapentin either makes you lose or gain weight. For some people like me,they retain water weight,around their gut. I crave alot of carbohydrates and salty foods,it's weird because before I was on Gabapentin,I never really would crave those kinds of foods. Hopefully this answer helps ya out!:)

Jenniej717 23 Jun 2016

Hi I barely eat anything! Maybe some fruit, yogurt, cereals, cream of wheat, not much at all. I am 5'4" and 175lbs. Mostly all in my abdomen. I just don't understand how I can be this size when I don't really eat. Either this neuorotin or topamax...

shellyr79 5 Jul 2016

I have been on Topamax for years with no problem. I started Gabapentin at only 300 mg for a little over a month ago, and the water retention is ridiculous! I feel bloated ALL THE TIME!!!

suzannecandle 6 Sep 2016

I gained 30 pounds in one month on Gabapentin and after refusing to take it any more, in 2 weeks lost that weight but was left with stretch marks... even after 2 babies, I never had stretch marks... it did nothing for me but ruin my body even more

Mayalita07 18 Oct 2016

I have been on Gabapentin for a month now. Taking only 200 mg daily BUT have gained 7 pounds. I am fit, very slim and I work out regularly. I am pretty sure it's because of the med