I have has shingles for about a year. No blisters, just small red spots under the skin that itch like crazy. These red spots are all over my body especially on both sides of chest. The spots are not very pronounced and are spaced out. Some itch happens where there are no spots but itch is still intense. Cortisone helps for a few hours. My doctor prescribed valacyclovir 500mg daily. I can't tell if valacyclovir is helping. The doctor says the itch may last for years. Is there anything else I might try.
Is there any long term shingles itch treatment?
- 30 Jan 2021 by charlesjbowman
- 30 January 2021 (4 weeks ago)
- herpes zoster, valacyclovir, blister, skin, treatment, chest
I questioned the diagnosis and Dr. ordered blood work. He ordered VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRUS ANTIBODY and the results were 3238. That is a really high number since the range for positive is about 150 or higher.
Do yourself a favor and contact a good knowledgable acupuncturist who specializes in chinese medicine. It took me 4 years and thousands of $ to get varicella zoster virus diagnosed.
- Valacyclovir Information for Consumers
- Valacyclovir Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Valacyclovir (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.