How long will Dexilant stay in my system? How do I ween off dexilant without withdraw?

kaismama 2 Apr 2013

It has a short half life so it won't hang around in your system more then a day. You don't have to wean off of it, it doesn't cause dependance.

carrie826 2 Apr 2013

What is the life span? I have been on 60mg for over a year.

kaismama 3 Apr 2013

You mean half life? Its only like 8 hr. Total time in your body is 5 times that. It doesn't matter how long you are on it, it doesn't cause dependence. There is no reason you can't just stop it.

comment 1 Feb 2014

My doc said to wean off of it To avoid rebound effect.

MommaKO 1 Feb 2017

I realize this question is old but I cant stand to see anyone be misinformed. I have taken Dexilant for over 5 years and am medically trained. On three separate occasions I have had problems with my insurance not wanting to pay for one reason or another, thus I would have to go without. Then within 2 days(without) I would start to wake up due to acid bubbling up in my mouth and it would make me feel like I was drowning. Also it caused uncontrollable vomiting during these short bouts. I have a particularly bad case so that may very well be the reason for my suffering from withdrawal. Every body literally reacts differently (Uniquely so) to any medication. I had to try everything in the book, as they say, before I was able to get my insurance to pay for it. I am diagnosed with GERD. Anyway, the moral of the story is that this particular medication WILL cause withdrawal effects to the tune of increasing acid production among other things.