How long does it take for ankle swelling to reduce after taking Lasix?

kaismama 19 Apr 2014

Lasix starts working fairly rapidly and you'll find you're going to the bathroom allot. The edema will decrease in a few hours and after a day or two should be almost normal. Of course a low salt diet and getting your legs elevated helps too.

Apple12345 20 Feb 2017

Elevating my legs hasn't helped hoping these do... did you need to take any other health supplements with them?

Lin_Z_Rae 20 Sep 2015

It helped me almost immediately, took 9 lbs of water weight off and have not been feeling urge to get up and urinate in the night. However, keep an ample supply of bananas, Gatorade and water. You will need to replenish the electrolytes and potassium.

Lin_Z_Rae 20 Sep 2015

I just got a call from the nurse on call after being off of Lasix for 2 days and on Spironolactone instead. Which did not work. The leg swelling is back full force. With any luck I will have my refill request processed by an on call md tomorrow morning when the pharmacy opens. Gained the 9 lbs of fluid back also. Yikes! Assuming the edema is also around the heart, since technically I was dx with peripheral Edema.

Apple12345 20 Feb 2017

Hi,, did you need to take any other retention or health supplements with Lasix?

Lin_Z_Rae 25 Feb 2017

No, I didn't need any other supplement. However, make sure it is water edema only that's causing swelling because for me it turned out to be a blood clot in my legs that went to my lungs.

Apple12345 25 Feb 2017

Thanks for this... I was advised water but will.keep an eye on it

Johnny_L 4 Jul 2017

My physician gave me a prescription of Potassium to take with the Lasix as Lasix depletes the body's Potassium in the process of eliminating excess fluid.