Is there a generic form of L-Methylfolate? Our insurance doesn't cover Deplin?

after considerable research, i believe there is no generic for it. and the brand is pricey for sure. i got some sample bottles from my doc and have been on it along with pristiq for 4 days. its too early for the prisiq to kick in, but deplin goes to work in your body right away. today is the first day i actually feel like my old normal self. its amazing. and if this streak continues i am going to do a formal appeal to my insurance to put it in their formulary, or at least propose that they pay for some of it. generally here in WA, its about $100 for a months supply.

PRBmom 29 Aug 2011

Wow - they want $350 a month here in Florida!! I'm going to try appealing to my health care insurance carrier, too, but have little hope that they will cover it - we have a really BAD plan thorugh my employer. My son was prescribed the same combination (Pristiq and Deplin) that you are on and was amazed at the immediate response he had with the Deplin. When we couldn't afford to fill the Deplin prescription, the psychiatrist suggested that we substitute a high-dose B-complex supplement, but after being on it for 3 months my son says it doesn't have the same effect at all. We are just going to have to find a way to pay for the Deplin to get the results he needs.

anniepc1234 29 Aug 2011

can you have it mail ordered from here or canada at a better price? i haven't looked at that option yet. i also read that if your son tried to substitute the b vitamins for the methylfolate, he'd have to take 66 pills a day of the over the counter stuff to equal 1 pill of the prescription!! no wonder it didn't work for him! i'm sure he didn't take 66 tabs a day. $350 is highway robbery. can you believe that? those drug companies have their nerve. and this isn't even classified as a drug, its a "medical food". crazy over pricing once again. so glad your son got some good results from this. i'm betting it will just get more expensive because people are starting to pay attention since folks are getting good results. i would check out the canadian mail order thing. i used it a couple of times on another drug a few years ago, and it was much less than here. so good luck and let me know if you find anything you think is a good deal. by the way, are you talking about the 7.5mg tablet?

Yes, their is another way to get L Methylfolate 15mg from Methylpro.com in Sisters Oregon.
If you do a comparison you will find it is the same drug as deplane. It is made by Genosis pharmacy in italy. You do not need a prescription to buy this food supplement.

Just now hearing about this drug, and I'm willing to try anything. Amazon has a listing for what's called "Methyl-life Supplements" for $77 for 90 tablets at 15 mg per tablet. I'd consider buying it, especially if I knew it already worked, as in the case of PRBmom. Just thought I'd add that to the ideas.

There is a generic version for Deplin. They're $80 where I'm from. Not sure how effective it is as my doctor said that the Deplin brand version is manufactured using some nanotechnology they created so the generic may not be the same. I always thought that by law the generics need to have the same formulations as he brands. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Lori J 15 days ago

No comment about yours actually. Just saying by me they're charging $58. A month, and I thought THAT was expensive!