Is there a generic form of L-Methylfolate? Our insurance doesn't cover Deplin?

anniepc1234 29 Aug 2011

after considerable research, i believe there is no generic for it. and the brand is pricey for sure. i got some sample bottles from my doc and have been on it along with pristiq for 4 days. its too early for the prisiq to kick in, but deplin goes to work in your body right away. today is the first day i actually feel like my old normal self. its amazing. and if this streak continues i am going to do a formal appeal to my insurance to put it in their formulary, or at least propose that they pay for some of it. generally here in WA, its about $100 for a months supply.

PRBmom 29 Aug 2011

Wow - they want $350 a month here in Florida!! I'm going to try appealing to my health care insurance carrier, too, but have little hope that they will cover it - we have a really BAD plan thorugh my employer. My son was prescribed the same combination (Pristiq and Deplin) that you are on and was amazed at the immediate response he had with the Deplin. When we couldn't afford to fill the Deplin prescription, the psychiatrist suggested that we substitute a high-dose B-complex supplement, but after being on it for 3 months my son says it doesn't have the same effect at all. We are just going to have to find a way to pay for the Deplin to get the results he needs.

anniepc1234 29 Aug 2011

can you have it mail ordered from here or canada at a better price? i haven't looked at that option yet. i also read that if your son tried to substitute the b vitamins for the methylfolate, he'd have to take 66 pills a day of the over the counter stuff to equal 1 pill of the prescription!! no wonder it didn't work for him! i'm sure he didn't take 66 tabs a day. $350 is highway robbery. can you believe that? those drug companies have their nerve. and this isn't even classified as a drug, its a "medical food". crazy over pricing once again. so glad your son got some good results from this. i'm betting it will just get more expensive because people are starting to pay attention since folks are getting good results. i would check out the canadian mail order thing. i used it a couple of times on another drug a few years ago, and it was much less than here. so good luck and let me know if you find anything you think is a good deal. by the way, are you talking about the 7.5mg tablet?

bonsie1 23 Mar 2016

Yes, their is another way to get L Methylfolate 15mg from Methylpro.com in Sisters Oregon.
If you do a comparison you will find it is the same drug as deplane. It is made by Genosis pharmacy in italy. You do not need a prescription to buy this food supplement.

ladeekatt 23 Mar 2016

Just now hearing about this drug, and I'm willing to try anything. Amazon has a listing for what's called "Methyl-life Supplements" for $77 for 90 tablets at 15 mg per tablet. I'd consider buying it, especially if I knew it already worked, as in the case of PRBmom. Just thought I'd add that to the ideas.

geloman1 26 Mar 2016

There is a generic version for Deplin. They're $80 where I'm from. Not sure how effective it is as my doctor said that the Deplin brand version is manufactured using some nanotechnology they created so the generic may not be the same. I always thought that by law the generics need to have the same formulations as he brands. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Lori J 8 Jul 2016

No comment about yours actually. Just saying by me they're charging $58. A month, and I thought THAT was expensive!

Fleming1 21 Sep 2016

I have great insurance extremely expensive however and they told me that it was just deemed a medical food about 4 months ago from the insurance companies and no-one is covering it because insurance companies do everything they can to protect themselves not their patients ... I have a clotting disorder MTHFR and my daughters also have Factor 5..methylated folic acid is necessary and it is the best and the only that works... so as long as the insurance companies don't have to pay out anything I guess it'll work for them good luck to everyone seeking assostance ..enjoyed reading the post thanks

kbaker2212 2 Feb 2017

My doctor prescribed me Deplin after genetic testing to confirm I have the gene deficiency. I could not afford this but found a similar mail order brand called methylpro. I took this for three months and it did help and I recommend it. I just saw my psychiatrist last week and he said he just learned of a new brand that is only available via mail order with a prescription from your doctor. He said this is as close to Deplin as you can get, they do some special step, as Deplin does, in the manufacturing process. It is still pricey, but a fraction of Deplin. I got a 90 day supply for $112. I will start it tomorrow and hoping for better results!
The contact information is:
EBMmedical.com

7welcomehome77 14 Feb 2017

I feel like I'm missing something here? My understanding is that *Deplin is just L-Methlfolate. This is sold in health food stores, from about $15-$20 a bottle. Some evidence is that taking this with all the other "B" vitamins and magnesium helps it with effectiveness.
Nutrients and "Health grade foods" can many times prove just as effective as "prescriptions".
What it seems like to me is that Pharmaceutical Co's. are not in the primary business of selling these natural products and therefore charge enormous amounts for the very same thing you can get from a health food store.
I had a very eye-opening lesson in this when I was prescribed by my doctor, a combination of digestive enzymes in one tablet. I went to get it filled and the clerk without a flinch told me "that will be $900.00!!

annmia123 15 Apr 2017

Deplin has very high dose methylfolate which until recently you could only get by prescription. Now as someone said there is a company called Methylpro which appears to have something similar.

Mela Mama 8 Aug 2017

I thought the same thing and about died when my son had me pick up his prescription at Costco because it was cheaper there. I argued with him, went home, did some research and "shopping" and found that most of the ones I saw were MUCH less than the 15 mg. Most were mcg.

gammongal 6 Mar 2017

This is what gets me - how can it be a prescription when it is not a drug but a food according to the FDA?

Lori J 6 Mar 2017

Gammon gal & 7WelcomeHome77, I just can't for the life of me remember what another food drug, needs a prescription. But my insurance wants 700.00 for it! I'm not, can't get that. It's that certain drug companies know how to use nanotechnology to make it, I read. And that's from other people here. And I got that feeling from the maker of Deplin. That there was something special they did. I didn't know that it was nanotechnology. My memory is just so bad. By the way? Do either of you need the drug? Yes it's called a drug too.

misslindsay 19 Mar 2017

I went to the online formulary search with my insurance company and typed in "L methyfolate" and searched and searched and came up with a few drugs that were covered.

I couldn't believe that many pre-natal vitamins containing L-methylfolate were covered because apparently it helps to prevent miscarriage and birth defects.

One of them is Neevo DHA and that is what I take now even at 53 yrs old. I can honestly say I don't think it works as well as Deplin but I do feel ok on it and it's defiantly better than nothing.

I am Megaloblastic anemia and MTHFR.

Mela Mama 9 Aug 2017

It all depends on the dosage. The higher dosage, like Deplin, will cost more and require a prescription. If you want low dosage you can buy those anywhere. I found them at Vitacost and other online stores. They are actually more expensive if you compare dosages. It is like tylenol. You can buy those like candy, but when you get the higher therapeutic dosage, it requires a prescription.

msneu1 24 Apr 2017

There is no generic for Deplin but the results for those in need of the drug is amazing. I just started on Deplin about a month ago and I wondered why I had never heard of this medication before. It has made a huge difference for me.

Rudy6897 17 May 2017

Right here on this Drugs.com site, you can click on the DRUGS A-Z drop-down menu and click on "Pricing & Coupons", where you'll type in Deplin and it will give you some pricing info. Supposedly you can print out a Drugs.com Discount Card to be able to purchase a 90-day supply for $192.

I'll see the discount card or coupon works when I go to Walgreens tonight to pick up my 60-day supply of Deplin that I was just prescribed yesterday.
As it shows now on my Walgreens portal, that 60-day supply is going to cost me $356.69 out of pocket without the use of any discount!

Rudy6897 17 May 2017

I have also printed out a coupon from www.singlecare.com to be able to "Save up to 75% on Deplin".
I'll see if either discount card or coupon works when I go to Walgreens tonight to pick up my 60-day supply of Deplin that I was just prescribed yesterday.

DrMichaelC 10 Jun 2017

Hi all,
I am a doctor that happens to have MTHFR. I cannot believe that after all of these years nobody has realized that there is an official generic of Deplin. It's actually not really even a generic as it is manufactured by Deplin. It's a marketing thing. I can assure you it's the real generic and the exact same thing as Deplin. If you go to goodrx.com and serxh for Deplin or L-merhylfolate you will have choice for generic and it's the real one. It's marketed by Breckinridge Pharmaceuticals since 2012 so I can't believe nobody on here knows this.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2012/10/01/494402/10006888/en/Pamlab-LLC-and-Breckenridge-Pharmaceutical-Inc-Announce-Joint-Venture-to-Provide-Authorized-Generics-on-Pamlab-Branded-Medical-Food-Products.html

In health, Dr. MC

KerriWittman 7 Aug 2017

I've been purchasing a 90 day supply of Breckinridge brand for a couple of years. Price just doubled... $108 out the door-not covered by insurance. While I despise Walmart it's still the only place I've found that is affordable. You have to specify that brand when you order it- I still get a prescription from my Dr.

annmia123 8 Aug 2017

I may be wrong, but I don't see any mention of nanotechnology when I research it, even on the Deplin website. I think what makes Deplin different is that the L-methylfolate is a formulation called Metfolin which is very bioavailable. Until recently Metfolin was under patent but now it is not, so Breckenridge is able to make it the same way as Deplin. Methyl Life has a comparison of different formulations. There is another high-quality formula called Magnafolate which is just now beginning to be used.