Is lorazepam the same as clonazepam?

midwestma 17 Jun 2010

Lorazepam and clonazepam are the same as Ativan and Klonopin. Both pretty much do the same thing. They are both benzodiazepine medications. However I'm not sure if they act the same way on a person. Hopefully someone who know a bit more about these two meds could help you out much better than I can. Good Luck.

barbles2413 17 Jun 2010

lorazepam is ativan and clonazepa, is klonopin bith used for anxiety

Lovesviv 14 Dec 2017

I find that these two drugs work differently depending on the person. They might do the "same thing" but make you more or less sleepy/and or content (anxiety free).

Psyched 17 Jun 2010

Sabbi,
Lorazepam is the generic name for Ativan; which is a benzo that functions as a sedative, hypnotic, and antianxiety med. It can be prescribed for anxiety, irritability, alcohol withdrawal, and some seizure activities. Clonazepam is the generic name for Klonopin; which is a benzo derivative that acts as an anticonvulsant. It can be prescribed seizures, panic disorder, and anxiety. I would NOT recommend taking one as a replacement for the other without consulting your physician first. Hope this helps.

Inactive 18 Jun 2010

I've always taken clonazepam (Klonopin) -- I believe that it is a long acting benzo compared to lorazepam (Avitan) few hours -- I read that clonazepam can actually worsen depression.

Avitan-lorazepam/ The half-life is 4 hours. That means that it will decrease by half every four hours. For example, if you take 1 mg, you will have .5mg in your bloodstream after 4 hours, .25 after 8 hours, .125 mg after 12 hrs, and .06 mg after 16 hrs, .03 after 20 hrs, and .015mg after 24 hrs., etc.

Klonopin- Clonazepam has a much weaker sedative effect.

Both benzos, and like all benzos are very addicting.

sabbi 19 Jun 2010

i find that lorezepam makes me fall asleep and i wake up having apanic attack it doesnt happen with clonazepam

Inactive 19 Jun 2010

Thats odd you shouldnt be waking up with panic attacks as its not one of the side effects, its supposed to treat panic attacks among other conditions. Contact your Doc.

I always ask the same to everyone i try to help... what other meds are u on... cause of the interactions. and what dosage r u on?

DeJesus312 18 hours ago

I just ran out of clonazepam , I just want to know if it is safe to take lorazepam until I get my prescription for my clonazepam?