Is lomotil available without a prescription? OTC?

itsmetoo2 27 Jan 2010

Yes, but if you buy it OTC then the strength is milder.

honeyvols 7 Oct 2012

Where do you get it?

Lizztreiber 24 Dec 2014

If OTC under what name?

Anonymous 4 Mar 2013

I am 65 years old, and 3 years ago I had my colon removed due to UC. I do not have an ostomy, as they reconstructed my small intestine into a J-pouch.

I have been on 10-12 Imodium AD tablets a day and 4-5 level teaspoons of Metamucil Fiber every day to keep me regular and in a non-diarrhea state.

Can I use Lomotil instead, and how long could I be on it without damage?

ChelleKay 29 Mar 2017

I took Lomotil back in the 80's when it went from rx to OTC. Ask the pharmacist if you can't find it. I am not positive, but, I think the spelling is off. Its been so long since I used it I can't remember the spelling; it just looks off a tad. I may be wrong on that, but it worked well for me too. Good Luck

wilkjg 2 Aug 2017

I have only, today, joined this site and noticed your question. You have probably already gotten your answer to this (since 2010, I would hope so) but here it is: Lomotil and it's generics are only available by prescription in the United States. In other countries, like Brazil and possibly Canada (those countries with the red box and black box labeling rules) you can sign for limited quantities of narcotic medications. At least it used to be that way. Perhaps those countries are now trending the US and have tightened up on their dispensing laws.