How long does it take for Nuvigil to take effect. Also, how long will it last?

LaurieShay 22 Jul 2011

Hey joabond,

You will notice a difference the first time you take Nuvigil and it will last approximately 8 to 12 hours. It takes several months to obtain the maximum benefit on this medication. When I first started taking Nuvigil, it kept me awake well into the night. I now take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and it last until around dinner time, then I begin to feel sleepy again.

Hope this helps,

Laurie

joabond 22 Jul 2011

I just started taking it 4 days ago. I take it as soon as I get up in the mornng 6:00 a.m. on an empty stomach. But it seems to only last until around 6 p.m. I was hoping that it would last until at least 10. I took Riddlin for a few years, then tried Adderal (the generic) and the Adderal worked wonders for 2 months then stopped working. I am on the 250 of the Nuvigil. My first prescription was free, and my insurance will cover it after I meet a $500.00 deductible at a cost of $75.00 per script... because there is no generic. I just do not want to spend the $500.00 if down the road it stops working... I need something. I just can't stand always being sleepy anymore. It seems that I am sleeping my life away and life is to short! Any more advice??

LaurieShay 22 Jul 2011

I agree, it lasts a max of about 12 hours. I take 300 mg, more than the recommended maximum. I have been taking Nuvigil for about 7 months and it hasn't stopped working. At first I felt a little wired, but after the first week or so, it just kept me awake throughout the day. I also take two antidepressants. Do you take anything other than the Nuvigil?

joabond 22 Jul 2011

No I am not taking anything else. I use to take anti-depressants but became immune to them. I need to be on something now, but can not seem to find anything to help me. It has never made me feel wired or hipper... I just am not sleepy (at least until around 6 or 7 pm). Any suggestions?

https://www.drugs.com/answers/432848/comment/?reply=232498

LaurieShay 22 Jul 2011

Just want to share that I have had to change my antidepressant every few years as I become immune to them too. I am now taking Pristiq and Wellbutrin together and it really has helped me alot. I use to sleep 12 to 14 hours a night and take a nap in the afternoon. Not since this combo. I'm now sleeping a normal 8 with no naps. Might want to reconsider the antidepressant as a possibility.

joabond 22 Jul 2011

Years ago I took Wellbrutin... I felt better than I ever had... HOWEVER, I gained a LOT of weight. So I went off of it. Did the combination make you gain weight?

LaurieShay 22 Jul 2011

Nope, in fact this combo has helped me lose weight. I have lost over 25 lbs since February. Slow but sure weight loss. It's great. Maybe investigate the Pristiq. I had some mild nausea and headache in the beginning, but honestly feel great now.

joabond 23 Jul 2011

Thank you. I am going to talk to my doctor about that.

LaurieShay 23 Jul 2011

Ok, let me know how it goes. Good luck!!