Will gabapentine pass a dot physical?

kaismama 24 Jan 2015

Its not a drug of abuse, I doubt they'd test for it.

balbanese 25 Jan 2015

Depends of the specifics they're testing for, other substances, etc. Best to have documentation from the prescribing physician as to the presence, dosage, instructions, diagnosis and a few words regarding your integrity as a patient taking prescribed medications (of any variety).

Trish Schiesser 25 Jan 2015

Now that's a darned good answer. I defer to you and your knowledge.
Trish

balbanese 25 Jan 2015

I can't tell if that's sincere or sarcastic.

Trish Schiesser 25 Jan 2015

Balbanese - it is definitely not sarcastic - I wouldn't do that.
Best to you,
Trish

del_leo 25 Jan 2015

As with any drug it just depends on what they are looking for. Gabapentin isn't a narcotic, but when taking any kind of prescribed medication you should always be forthcoming and have written proof. However, because gabapentin (Neurontin) is typically used in patients who suffer from seizures, as it suppresses the nerves, May not be something that would be acceptable for the DOT (if you're driving) simply because of safety issues. I know it tends to make me really drowsy, and sometimes lethargic. When I first began taking it my Dr. restricted my driving for almost 3 months. But I do take 800 mg 3 times a day. Good luck!