Can gabapentin cause you to gain weight and cause bloating in your stomach area cause every since?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Does gabapentin cause weight gain?

Answers

Laurieroz 27 Jun 2018

I’ve definitely heard that it can.

cindy-59 28 Jun 2018

Hi Alfredag. Yes it most certainly can. I know from my own experience plus many others talking to me about the same thing happening to them. I gained over 80 pounds and I looked and felt like I was 6-7 months pregnant. I was even asked a few times if I was. It was very hard on my back and I still have problems with my back now. I had many other horrible side effects too. I took it for 8-9 years and I’m now slowly tapering off because I couldn’t handle it any longer. These drugs are poison (IMO) and should not be on the market! Take care

TKMarsh711 28 Jun 2018

Just wondering, after you get off of it do you lose the weight? Also Cindy-59, how much were you taking and how are you tapering?

cindy-59 28 Jun 2018

Hi TKMarsh. The medications that I was actually taking are Lyrica and Cymbalta which are the same type of drugs. I am off Lyrica and still tapering off Cymbalta. I started at 60 mg of Cymbalta and I’m down to approximately 20 mg. (99 beads). I’m tapering at 10% every 10-14 days. Sometimes I can go a bit faster; but sometimes I have to go a bit slower. We have to listen to what our bodies are telling us and go from there. I have started to lose a bit of weight; but most people I talk to say that they start to lose weight about 2-4 weeks after being completely off. I can’t wait

Stevie J 3 Nov 2020

I agree, they are poison... I absolutely gained weight and I look pregnant, not the best look on a 53 yr old