Is it ok to take an expired clindamycin 300mg?

3 Answers

DzooBaby 7 Jun 2013

No. If it is expired, at the very least it has lost potency. Many "mycins" can become toxic when old. The chemicals can change over time. Dispose of it and get a new prescription. Besides, it is never good to try to treat with left over antibiotics (which you shouldnt have in the first place because they are meant for you to take the full course even if you feel better). If you have left overs, it is doubtful you have enough for a full course plus, without seeing a Dr, you dont know if the bacteria is even susceptible to the antibiotic. Please see your Dr. It is not good to try to cut corners when dealing with infection. This is how "superbugs" are formed. This sort of activity is what causes bacteria to become resistant.

CobraKai 27 Jan 2019

Yes. The other person answering the question is full of it. You came on here to have your question answered not to be lectured about bacterial resistance as if the next pandemic is lurking in your sock drawer.
Here’s the deal, if your old antibiotic was found in your glove box, probably not going to work, unless you live is San Francisco where the temperature doesn’t vary from 65 degrees much. But if it hasn’t been exposed to extreme temperatures (heat is worse than cold) or sunlight, and you have an infection, and you KNOW you have a bacterial infection because you’re not an idiot, your tooth is infected, you feel it in your lymph nodes, whatever, you have no money or no insurance or whatever your situation is, but for whatever reason you have old antibiotic, TAKE IT. I’ve done 20 times and it’s never done anything but clear up my infection. It’s good for at least 3-5 years if stored correctly.

Worse case scenario it’s not as potent. So take another one. I can actually taste it. I know if it’s working or not. And penicillin (not clindamycin which is a synthetic) is a fungus, so if anything it probably gets better with age.

Biggerfoot 15 Jun 2020

I need to back up cobrakai here, Ive had extensive medical training and experience thanks to being an army medic. With the exceptions of liquid medications, tetracycline, nitroglycerin, insulin, and a few orphan type medications. There's no danger in taking expired medications. According to the DOD research I was privy to, most medications lose about 2% effectiveness per annum for the first decade and approximately 1% per annum after the first decade. There were some outliers but if I recall correctly they were lesser used meds and just degraded a bit faster.

The US government has an insane stockpile of medication and did a lot of research due to the replenishing costs associated with maintaining the reserves. They are fine with using expired medications within certain guidelines and adjusting doses slightly to account for the lost potency. So if there was a need to use 20yo antibiotics, you would figure that they would have 70% effectiveness and to have someone take 4 per day (qid) instead of the standard (tid).