Does LISINOPRIL have a diuretic in it? I have to pee constantly?

Rajive Goel 4 Jun 2010

Lisinopril is commonly prescribed to treat conditions affecting the heart and blood vessels, such as high blood pressure. It can also help improve survival following a heart attack. The drug blocks the angiotensin-converting enzyme, which is normally part of a reaction in the body that causes blood vessels to narrow.

Its not a diuretic, you must talk to the doc./pharmacist who prescribed the med, hope this helps?

marjorie zych 4 Jun 2010

Denise1013, Lisinopril does not have any water pill medicine in it. It is used to lower blood pressure but doesn't contain a diuretic like some blood pressure meds do. Hope this little tidbit helps marjorie zych

bzimmerm6 18 Sep 2016

Lisinopril is not a diuretic. However, it is commonly prescribed in combination with hydrochlorothiazide - the latter being a thiazide diuretic that helps prevent the body from absorbing too much salt which can cause fluid retention. Fluid retention can increase blood pressure and lisinopril combined with a diuretic can be very effective in lowering pressure to acceptable levels in patients where water retention is a contributing factor in cases of hypertension. The combination drug is sold under the brand name Zestoretic and generically as lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide (contained within a single pill). If you do not want a diuretic ask your doctor if lisinopril alone would be an acceptable alternative to the combination drug.

Chyk41 19 Sep 2016

Yes, lisinopril is a diuretic. It is one of the super drugs that is a combination of drugs in one. I was given the answer from my cardiologist after my heart attack . They use it in combination with a low dose of Lasix. They found our that I'm allergic to diuretics and went into kidney failure. I now take spironolactone which remove fluid outside of the kidneys.

bzimmerm6 22 Sep 2016

You are correct in that lisinopril is frequently used in combination with a diuretic such as furosemide (Lasix) or hydrochlorothiazide after an MI brought on by congestive heart failure. However, by itself, it is not a diuretic and is not a combination of drugs. It is available (and commonly prescribed) by itself as a single medication. Lisinopril is in a class of medications known as ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors used to treat heart failure, high blood pressure, and to prevent certain renal and eye complications in those with diabetes.