Does Lamictal XR work the same for bipolar as Lamictal?

Rajive Goel 19 Jun 2010

Lamictal XR (extended-release lamotrigine) is a prescription medication approved to treat certain types of seizures in people age 13 years and older. It is approved for use only in combination with other seizure medications.

Lamictal (lamotrigine) is a prescription medication used to treat the following conditions:

Bipolar disorder -- Lamictal is approved as a mood stabilizer to treat bipolar disorder (manic depression).
Epilepsy -- Lamictal is approved to treat various types of seizures in people with epilepsy.

Both meds are differently indicated, however it is recommended to speak to the doc/pharmacist for more & medical information, hope this helps?

wparker123 19 Jun 2010

So do you agree? i mean its really new so it'll get "official" approval for bipolar soon. Or else my psychiatrist wouldn't have changed it

wparker123 19 Jun 2010

I talked to the pharmacist and its like adderall vs adderall XR. Same stuff just XR is once a today as apposed to twice or three times a day w/ Adderall. I only take Lamictal 200mg one in the early mourning. But by the later in the day like late aftenoon especially during the evening i would get bipolar symptoms again. So This XR lasts me throughout the whole day even nights with no bipolar effects.

riley1060 27 Jun 2017

Thank you so much you were very informative! I've asked my doctor to put me on the er because I take it at bedtime, I don't need it to sleep unless the depression comes back! I've done extremely well on Lamictal, it does wear off in the early evening and I really need it to last 24 hours. I suffered all my life along with Narcolepsy, Cataplexy, Bipolar, extreme anxiety, panic attacks sometimes out of the blue and OCD! Really... I lived a hard life because I'm 47 years old and everyone told me right off the back I was clinically depressed! Antidepressants NEVER EVER worked for me so one doctor put me on Abilify, thinking it boosted my antidepressant, I went from 110lb at 4"10... TO 179 OMG