Doc gave me zoloft for anxiety but Im scared to take it I feel like ima feel worse ?

IndyLady2012 25 May 2011

Thats a normal reaction for someone who suffers from aniexty.
Fear is what brings it on to begin with.I have had it for years i personally took zoloft and it didnt help me.Lexapro is a great drug if you suffer from alot of aniexty.

ace_rick 25 May 2011

Hi Lopez86,

sweetie pie 25 May 2011

Hello Lopez! I can understand your apprehension taking a new medication. But, how will you know it will not help you if you do not try it for awhile. I hope that the doctor went over the possible side effects of Zoloft with you. They are just POSSIBLE! side effects! I have been on Zolft for years now and it has really made a big difference in how I feel. Also, if Zoloft does not help you there are many more antideppresants available. So talk to your doctor about your concerns. It is normal to feel alittle uneasy when starting a new medication. I wish you the best! Sweetie Pie

LaurieShay 25 May 2011

Hey lopez,

Zoloft is a good choice of antidepressants that also help with anxiety. It may take as much as a month to reach full effectiveness. If you experience any of the possible side effects, keep in mind they generally subside after a couple of weeks. If anything becomes too bothersome give the doc a call.

If Zoloft happens to not work for you there are other antidepressants that help anxiety that you can try. Unfortunately it is a trail and error sort of deal, but you will find the one that works for you. So relax and take the medication and don't be too hard on yourself, a little apprehension is normal.

Good luck with the new med,

Laurie

Anonymous 25 May 2011

Lopez, yes it is normal to feel scared. Im the worst. It took my doc a while to get me to trust him to take meds. I have not taken zoloft but my daughter was on it for years and she did great on it. The only reason she is off is because her stupid ex husband told her she couldn't take it anymore. She is home with me and doing good so maybe she will be ok. But she would be the first to tel you it did great for her.

IndyLady2012 25 May 2011

I didnt take any medicine for years out of fear of a adverse reaction.
But i did finally relieze that the only thing you need to fear is fear itself.
You will be fine.Look at it this way.If it helps it will be well worth it.
I do understand i have been there and if it hadnt been for my husband pushing me i probally would still not be on any medicine and still suffering.

Avrahom 25 May 2011

Lopez:
I was prescribed Zoloft in 1992 and took it for a few years to help my obsessive compulsive disorder. With me there was no side effects and I was able to function. My opinion, if you want to fight your situation without medication good. If not, try the Zoloft. It may help. In the world of anxiety we shouldn't be scared but patient. as I have been there too.

ace_rick 26 May 2011

Dear Avrahom,since you'd been taking Zoloft for a few years,did it cure your obsessive compulsive disorder?Or it just helped reduce it to some extent? your answers are important.thanks.ace_rick

Avrahom 26 May 2011

Ace Rick:
The Zoloft only lessened the symptoms of my obsessive compulsive disorder, not diminish them.
Avrahom

lopez86 27 May 2011

Well I finally convinced myself to try it at first I felt really tired then I woke up really anxious then it went away I feel better like I can control my bad thoughts a little more but still got some anxiety but its the first day I hope it gets better I know it takes time thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it

ace_rick 27 May 2011

Good news lopez86.I'm happy for you that you've finally kicked off with Zoloft..going upstairs is step by step..ace_rick

Anonymous 27 May 2011

Lopez, I think what your are feeling is normal. Taking a med not knowing what to expect is scary. Glad you tried it, just try to relax and see the out come. I know what you are feeling I soooo scared of meds. Good luck. Let me know hoe things turn out.

flutterby36 26 Dec 2011

I take zoloft and have been for 2yrs now for aniexty. They work, don't be afraid of them. Also, another tip for aniexty and deperssion is abilify... that works GREAT for me.