Can different manufacturers of same generic drugs have different side effects?

Inbako 15 Jul 2017

Some people will tell you no. But I believe they can as they use different fillers. You may be allergic to something in a certain brand.

janiebme 15 Jul 2017

I agree with inbako. I believe that not all generics are the same. Each manufacturer can have different ingredients for the same generic drug. Some people have adverse reactions to the generic med and or it does not work as well. I disagree that the generic works the same as the brand name. When a drug goes generic it seems more people post that it is not working the same or they are having side effects they did not have before on the brand name.

Dani926 22 Jul 2017

franjb1949... in a word, absolutely... in my career i worked for 2 pharmaceutical companies, one big pharma & the other a very small & unrelatively unheard of company though very wealthy & powerful nonetheless... specifically, i worked in both clinical trials & more recently, regulatory operations, where i processed much submission documentation, which is basically all supporting documentation required by the FDA for any drug company to have its drug/compound FDA-approved. though the percentage difference acceptable in generic versions of drugs is miniscule, the variant in inactive ingredients (aka fillers) can pack a powerful difference in individual side effects. most notably as indicated in many trial results that are rarely if ever published, inefficacy & headaches are the top 2 reported side effects.

sophiabrown 5 Sep 2018

I really think they must. I just switched from one manufacturer to another last night and this morning I woke up with an insane and terrifying dizziness. I couldn't figure out why and I'd never felt like this before and then I looked at my new bottle and it says that it may cause dizziness, whereas my last bottle didn't warn anything of the sort and had no negative side effects.