Cymbalta - what percentage of people on this medication gain weight?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Cymbalta and Weight Gain?

lady2882 4 Apr 2013

Weight gain is uncommon with cymbalta as it usually has the side effects of loss of appetite, diarrhea and nausea. 9 % of people taking it report a loss of appetite, and up to 2 % of people report weight loss compared to 1 % of people reporting a weight gain (Mayo clinic).
However, people who discontinue Cymbalta are at high risk of binge eating and weight gain (cymbalta withdrawal forums).
On a personal note, depending on why you are considering taking cymbalta, I would suggest some serious online research before starting to take it as it is a rather expensive medication that has not lived up to the expectations as outlined by the drug company.
Even youtube has some interesting videos from people who took it.
If you are going to try it for chronic or nerve pain - don't waste your time and health.
You can ask me private questions if you want, I am now cymbalta free.
Take care of you

bestpup 4 Apr 2013

I agree with you 100% lady 2882. I myself also took cymbalta with the impression it was miracle chronic pain med. Despite taking it for a year, I must admit it did nothing to elevate my chronic lupus pain. And yes I too found it way to expensive. One must be there own judge and jury when it comes to new designer drugs. Your friend bestpup

warsop87 17 Aug 2013

I was just put on cymbalta for my depression/anxiety. I have had diarrhea and I have felt sick so far. What are the risks?

Louis DeLuca 28 Aug 2013

I started taking cymbalta for depression in 2006 at the age of 45 and gained almost 100 pounds in less than 2 years. My waist increased by 8 inches. I developed type 2 diabetes and became increasingly more depressed. And although my eating habits didn't change and I could not understand why I got so heavy, i had no idea it was because of the cymbalta. It wasn't until I changed doctors and he made me aware, weaning me off cymbalta and onto prozac.

I'm happier now, but losing that weight is a long hard battle. Had I known then it would reek havoc in my life and on my body, I never would have started it. For 7 years I took 90mg (one 60 and one 30mg tablet, increased because I was still depressed). Now I walk with a cane, lost the cartilage in my knee and have difficulty getting around. I feel like an old man at 52.

Be careful with this drug. I wish you all the best.
Louis

MrsManic 26 Sep 2013

They say 1% of people gain weight on Cymbalta which seems awfully slim to me (no pun intended lol). I spoke to my pharmacist AND physical trainer who both said everyone they know has gained on this med. I have personally gained 25 lbs and COUNTING! I just cannot seem to ever get full! I am even seeing a nutritionist who wants me to load up on fiber and protein but I crave carbs to help to fill me up. Now I'm on topamax to counteract cymbalta's appetite -inducing pangs. Has anyone else endured this?

zak4208 19 Dec 2013

I started Cymbalta two months ago... took Effexor XR previously and stopped taking it for two years. After sinking in to a deep depression my Dr. indicated that he couldn't just put me back on Effexor XR... he should prescribe something stronger. I've been taking 60mg of Cymbalta for two months & I have gained more than 30 pounds... my diet has been improving... my blood work is awesome... my weight continues to increase each time I step on a scale... and my blood pressure has gone from 120/80 to 149/105... today I convinced my Dr. to switch me back to Effexor XR... I will keep you up to date... I am on a blood sugar medication that makes me feal saciated... and that has helped with the diet... not over eating! Good Luck! Happy Holidays! Zak

Panthers fan 27 Nov 2015

I noticed at the beginning of this year I gained 20 pounds in about six weeks I could not figure out how or where it came from I had not changed eating habits or exercise habits nothing changed I just realized after doing research tonight about Cymbalta with the girls that people have gained a lot of weight from the Strug when I went back to look to see when I started taking it it was six weeks before all this weight gain happened. This is a terrible drug the withdrawal is horrible trying to get off of this drug in the weight gain has made me even more depressed I do not recommend anyone taking this medication

nuttynelly 17 Oct 2013

been on this drug 8 days gained a dress size ,at least. waist especially unrecognizable. crave carbs , constant hunger . I'm a runner and gym addict . I have not ran or trained due to lethargy .I'm coming off it .this gain so soon is horrendous , makin me depressed looking and feeling this way .

I was told Cymbalta is a weight neutral drug but I struggle believing that now. Over the past year I have gained over 70 lbs - much of that time while staying on a 1500 calorie diet. Unfortunately, I was also put on Gabapentin which I recently learned is related to Lyrica. My rheumatologist told me given my weight gain she would not put me on Lyrica because it definitely causes weight gain and not due to increasing your appetite but simply the drug itself causes cellular changes. I wish I had known about the relationship to Gabapentin before taking it because I am finally having some pain relief and only need Tylenol for breakthrough pain and hate giving this relief up!. Anyway, I do believe Cymbalta contributes to weight gain because I gained the most weight before going on the Gabapentin.
People think we are considering vanity over health, however, with fibromyalgia and the 5 autoimmune disorders we know I have, I NEED to keep my weight down. I cannot take another knee replacement and this added weight is putting undue stress on both of my knees.

Mehpsh0316 16 days ago

I was on Prozac for years and switched to cymbalta 30mg in dec for chronic pain. I take neuro 200 mg at night. Stress kicked up in January and cymbalta was increased to 60 mg. My eating habits have not changed. I have gained 8 lbs in 2 months. This isn't a huge gain, but for someone who watches the scale, it's the beginning of a slippery slope. My work dress pants are tight. I can't afford to get new ones - don't want to either. These meds are the only changes I can attribute. I'm still in pain - the cymbalta is not working. Thoughts or suggestions?

rosey 33 16 Aug 2015

I have been on Cymbalta for 1 month and have put on 10 lbs. It has not helped my depression at all. I had lost a lot of weight from pain meds due to a hurniated disk so I could afford to put on 10. But if this keeps increasing I will not continue this medicine.

Sphynx 16 Aug 2015

I gained weight on Paxil and Prozac, but lost weight while I was taking Cymbalta at 90mg.

newmeplz 5 Oct 2016

I have been on Cymbalta for a month now and my appetite has decreased. Until just yesterday for some reason I couldn't get filled up? I even had a donut after I had already eaten my toast and yogurt. I hope this was only temporary

SpringBaxter 15 Oct 2016

I had less hunger at first then became a bottomless pit 3-week in. I am 6 pounds up but can't seem to find something this helpful for back pain. Does Lexapro help without weight gain, anyone know?

Karendonald 19 Feb 2017

I have Fibromyalgia that doesn't stop without a constant use of pain meds. I was also very depressed and angry. I was put on Cymbalta by my doctor and he warned me about the side effects of nausea for the first two weeks. He said it would continue to build up in my system for about two months to get to full capacity. It saved my life, I was genially happy, not druged or just didn't care I felt like the me before my depression. I have used it for over 2 years now and have gained 40 pounds. I hate the extra weight and now am slowly going off of it. Hoping the pain doesn't come back or depression. Wish me luck!