Is clonazepam the same as a 1mg xanax?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?

16 Answers

bamamichelle78 30 Apr 2013

Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Valium (diazepam), and Ativan (lorazepam) are all benzodiazepines. They are all in the same class and work similarly. They are all tranquilizers that act against anxiety and produce sedation.

The basic difference between these two drugs is:
Xanax tablets come in 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg, and 2 mg strengths and are indicated for the relief of anxiety.
Klonpoin tablets come in 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2mg strengths and are indicated for the relief of panic disorder or seizures.
Milligrams are relative and are therefore unique to each drug.

The effect either of these drugs would have on you would depend on the quantity you take. Also, patients usually report that the relief provided by a single prescribed dose of Xanax can last up to four hours, and the relief provided by a single prescribed dose of Klonopin can last up to eight hours.

Hope this has helped.

Dicker410 9 Feb 2016

Xanax was a fluke and was used more in seizures than Kpin. People getting advice off a forum proves we over think to much causing anxiety

47 years of battling anxiety and no drug has helped me more than out reaching adolescents to help them in their need.
Each medication works different on all of us . Hopefully you understand this even though there are many similarities.

Tarheel13 6 Sep 2016

Xanax stops my racing thoughts and anxiety. Klonopìn also does but I have no seizure history. So why do they both help with my racing thoughts???

Tarheel13 25 Oct 2016

I am on day 8 of Xanax Detox. My mind is racing. I hear everything. Weird. Right? Went from 2mg to 0 last Monday. Almost there I hope.

IDIOCRACY 22 Nov 2016

It really for me was a question of which one is stronger acting. The information or answer I was looking for was not a breakdown on benzodiazepines it was simply a question of which one is is stronger acting... 1 mg per 1 mg...

Inactive 1 May 2013

1 mg's of Clonazepam is approximately equal to 1 mg's of Xanax (Alprazolam).

shezie 24 Dec 2014

This is wrong in fact I'm seeing this alot! And it's terrible that they all say the same thing then refer to the same chart the found on a website. These people probably never experienced these drugs and just want to feel smart by googling the answer. I can tell you from experience if your used to xanax and are changing to kpins then the 1to1 mg equivalency is incorrect. If ur used to the strong but short burst that xanax provides at 1mg then u will prob need 2mg of kpins. Now if ur the other way around and used to 1mg of kpin and switching to a faster and stronger hitting medicine like xanax u will only need .5mg of xanax . I'm not saying it's a 2to1 ratio but at the lower mg these 2 drugs work in that way the xanax is stronger cause it hits u faster and with full force as where the kpins don't per say kick in u don't get that feeling really cause they slowly ease stress over a few hours not like the 30 mins and u feel relief with the xans.

So be careful if ur taking xanax stick with it unless it's too strong then u need kpins. If ur used to kpins no need to change unless there not doing the job for you then goto xanax and you'll be fine. This is the truth I guarantee so take this advice over all others!!!

chass75 11 Jan 2015

Masso

I agree.

MB0628 10 Mar 2015

Is Xanax and clonazepam the same med? Nurse said the dr ordered Xanax but I think she brought clonazepam. Is it the same?

getittogether27 31 Mar 2015

Ok I'm new to forum but I need some true advise so I use xanax for the last 3 to 4 years can't really remember but two long so I never had a prescription for them but suffer with anxiety and insomnia so I don't have withdraws during the day until about 5pm I take 4mg at once and been for years every day and I mean every single day but I can't get them no more and I do have insurance that I pay for and alway been successful so how do explain to a dr when I'm out completely in 4 day and what can I do so I don't have any of these terrible withdrawal I read and how bad it really is?

Zeeble 18 Apr 2015

I have a bit of experience with these particular prescriptions, However, I first would like to say that prescription drugs, although given a certain classification and labeled to treat such and such symptoms and so on, and advice (good or bad) is usually fairly simple to find. We must remember that we as people vary so tremendously that a medicine that worked miracles for one may have zero - or even an adverse effect on another. Having said that I will say that Kpin and Xanax are quite similar I've noticed that Xanax does as previously mentioned "kick in" quickly which is why it is commonly used to treat those with stress and anxiety disorders specific phobias (*Arachnophobia) or what most us refer to panic "attacks" another reason Xanax is prescribed is because the cumulative effects are short(er) lived.

Were as the longer lasting Kpin is more commonly used to treat the lasting effects of generalized types of anxiety disorders and phobias such as *Agoraphobia and since there isn't an urgent need for relief and the focus is more on providing long term relief Kpin gradually takes effect. Though overall they are both equally powerful and produce a "sedative" effect both are (generally) used to treat different "kinds" of anxiety disorders. However 1mg of one is equal to 1mg of the other and though you my have a tolerance to one you may not to the other... I know everyone hears this all the time but quitting a medication can be as dangerous as over taking it! I've know several people who decided to stop taking there prescriptions (of both Xanie and Kpin) and had gone into multiple seizures one ended in a comatose state for several days none of them had any previous history of seizures, please if you are not sure ask a physician sometimes a pharmacist or even poison control can help you decide if you should or should not take certain medications or what to expect from withdrawal symptoms from medicine that either is or is not prescribed.(always take prescribed medication as prescribed never take prescription medicine that is not prescribed to you) Always Make Informed Decisions especially when your or those you loves life's will be effected or even at stake! -Z-
*Arachnophobia:An extreme or irrational fear of spiders
*Agoraphobia: An extreme or irrational fear of crowded spaces or enclosed public spaces-
Word definitions provided by: New Oxford American Dictionary (via hand held device)

rangers1971 27 May 2015

totally agree xanax is stronger

Patricia2468 18 Jun 2015

What is 0.5mg of Clinazepam equal to?

taylorco105 9 Jul 2015

I have been on Klonopin, Valium and Xanax and by far Xanax is the strongest one. I take 3 two mg. bars a day for agoraphobia. It helps me face the outside world. I like my meds to hit fast so Xanax is the best for that. If you want one with a longer half life then go with Valium though.

IDIOCRACY 22 Nov 2016

SHEZIE... I can say the response that you gave in regards to the Klonopin versus the Xanax and the information you put forth is exactly correct. I have at my 39 years of age had to take after my mother's death benzodiazepines to control my blood pressure my depression stress my anxiety anger every emotion you can possibly imagine. And I can tell you that the Xanax outweighs the Klonopin greatly in my body. It would take me three one milligram Klonopin 2 equal one milligram of Xanax it's really quite annoying when people simply Google something and don't have any idea what these drugs do when you take them! It was very refreshing to see your comment today and read something that made total sense and paralleled every believe I have regarding that medicine vs it's cohorts so thank you very much

DrA-z012 30 Aug 2017

Although they are in the same family, they each have an entirely different chemical make up. The ratio of each all depends on the person taking the meds. Weight, metabolism, ECT.. At this point in our Pharmaceutical Manufacturing world; most can agree, Xanax contain faster, harder hitting chemical compounds. Without discussing atoms and molecules of those chemical makeups... Xanax is king in this benzodiazepine era.

brecia 29 Jul 2015

I started taking clonazepam 1 milligram to help me sleep. But it is not helping. Seriquil. Nothing. What can help me sleep. I took 3 clonazepams yesterday just to sleep but was dizzy for 2 days after. Now I'm scared to take them again.

herk115 23 Sep 2015

brecia,

Try 1 - 2 tabs of Dramamine about an hour before bedtime. Works great for me and I sleep soundly all night long. It's OTC so you'll have no trouble getting it. If it works, buy the Equate generic at WalMart. Trust me, be sure you're in bed snuggled for the night within one hour of taking it, or you'll spend the night on the couch or wherever you were sitting. Hope this helps.

Str8tru6lu2 26 Nov 2015

Ask about 50 mg Hydroxinine

vharvey72 2 Dec 2015

Seroquel is awesome if you're hypo-manic or coming down from a mania, using it to sleep is hard sometimes because it can cause restless legs I have to take cogentin with it. Elavils a mild anti depressants that works well to for sleep. Be very careful if switching from Xanax to Clonzapam, being if you take a high dose of xanax daily you could have seizures. Never be afraid of your Dr. discuss your concerns, I all ready side effects or troubles, we are there to help you, I if your meds aren't working. I It often takes a while to get the right meds that work for you. Good Luck

pdjade 20 Mar 2016

This is one good reason the government should legalize marijuana... I'll bet you if you got high on THC you would sleep perfectly, and you wouldn't have any dizziness or other similar side effects. Plus it's healthier for you than popping pills.
So many peoples reaction to this answer is, "I'm not a drug user." Well thats exactly what taking any prescribed pill like clonazepam makes you, just because it's prescribed by a doctor doesn't make it any less of a drug. And atleast marijuanas a natural herb, not a man made drug like pills are.

Yatzee83 1 Apr 2016

Have u tried Wal-Som? They r over the counter at Walgreens. They work great an there's no hangover in the AM. I wouldn't take Dramamine its a motion sickness pill that has a pretty intense hangover almost like drinking to much caugh syrup.

XavierS 6 May 2016

You should NEVER use over the dose as written by your doctor. If you cannot sleep, best to stay on your clonazapam dose as prescribed, and ask your doctor for an adjunct specially for sleep. Your BEST best, to avoid drug interactions, and get some great sleep, is over-the-counter Benadryl pills--take 50 mgs 30 minutes before bed, and I guarantee you will get at least a good 3-6 hours. If not more! If this is not working, go to your doctor and request a short (1 month only) treatment of Ambien, which is NOT another benzo like clonazapman--you don't ever want to stack benzo on top of benzo--throws your brain into crazy zone!

Try the benadryl--50-100 mgs for the MOST stubborn cases, And all available at most dollar stores for cheap! Good luck. Also, ask God for your mind to be slowed down, and if you keep up on your prayers, I guarantee He will answer. Cheers!

Tarheel13 6 Sep 2016

Eat more at further incrimates.

curious 13 2 Nov 2016

Try triazolam 0.25mg. take two before bed. This is the only thing that helps me sleep

curious 13 2 Nov 2016

juliemccrary 4 Feb 2017

The point of these meds is to relax you, not to knock you out.

robmattjoe22 17 Jun 2017

Seroquel is a terrible medication they give to anyone to help them sleep. It's got horrible side effects, I just lost 150 pounds from being on 200mg to help me sleep. Now my dr. Has me on a cocktail of medications for sleep Gabapentin for nerve damage, 1 1/2 mg of Klonopin, carbamapezine (seizures and more) and 12.5 mg of mecilizine(benedryl on steroids). Don't be afraid to take your medication, take it as prescribed, and speak to your Dr if you're still not sleeping. Try to avoid xanax, they don't last as long as Klonopin make you want to take more and become a ejected trust me. Just be honest with your doctor about your sleeping patterns. I bought a cheap knock-off Fitbit. It wasn't as accurate as the real Fitbit period but at least it gave my doctor an idea how much sleep I was really getting which was about two hours a night.

You can't just take a pill and make everything okay or three I've been struggling with this for years period I haven't gotten more than two to four hours of sleep a night since 2003. I'm finally starting to sleep better but you have to be patient and I know it's hard because you haven't slept so everything seems to be spiraling out of control because you need rest. Talk to you Doctor I also take it to THC pill because I hadn't slept in so long and was such a nervous wreck that I couldn't eat I was down to 124 lb. You also might want to look into dietary changes, and lifestyle changes if you haven't already. I've tried everything and the most sleep I get is 5 hours a night and that's very rare.

bitchcopter 21 Jul 2017

Benadryl and some valerian root helps me sleep at night if I'm having a particularly rough one. I know some people swear by melatonin pills but thats not nearly enough to put me out. Hope this helps.

Iamhere 23 Feb 2018

Try trazodone 50mg. I take one every night to sleep and it works great and I don’t feel groggy in the morning at all.

Xxxriley616xx 24 Feb 2018

Clonazepam was the best one for me. Xanax turned me into a zombie, valium barely even took the edge off but clonazepam you take one in the morning and good all day till night time. Then if you're restless take one more or a half before bed. I also recommend trazodone to help sleep. I was prescribed that in rehab bc i didnt want Seroquel and honestly the heaviest sleep youll ever have. Wake up in the spot you fell asleep I swear

Lordbynx 7 Mar 2018

Try temazepam aka restoril. Its for insomnia and RLS and also is a high power benzo

patricia teeter 16 Feb 2016

Corpamsand Xanax treated for the same thing

sourface 3 Mar 2016

No clonzapam is defiantly not as strong as xanax. I've been on clonzapam for years and it helps with muse relaxation also... whereas the xanax is specifically only for nerves and anxiety.

VictorR 7 Dec 2016

Klonopins f-ing rock$!

margie s 14 Apr 2016

I do not know if it is that's why I'm asking? Is 1 mg colazapam same as 1 mg xannax?

William Roberts 4 May 2016

Is clonazepam the same as kolodipins

Titaniumwoman2017 27 Oct 2017

If you mean Klonapins than yes. Clonazepam is the generic for klonapins. However if you mean CLONADINE AND NOT KLONAPINS then NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. I didn’t use all caps to be rude just to make sure to keep the two meds separate as there is two different answers. I hope this helps.

qwerty420 25 Oct 2016

I've only done 2mg xans and the 3 mg Extended release. and I have been taking them both everyday for 6 months. and a different doctor changed me to klonopin 1 mg. 3 times a day. when I was on 6 mg of xanax. does anyone no if I'll go into withdrawals?

supernovax 29 Dec 2016

I'm no doctor or physician, but you most likely will. Going from taking 6 mgs per day of one benzodiazepine to 3 mgs per day of a different benzodiazepine is a big difference milligram wise, not to mention that they are two totally different medications. Yes, the are both in the same class of drug, but they are both composed of different chemical compounds & they both have different active & inactive ingredients. You will feel different, because Xanax gives you relief of your anxiety almost immediately & you feel the Xanax taking affect right away (except for the time-released ones of course), whereas the Klonopin is much slower acting, & lasts much longer in your body as does the Xanax. The Xanax work well for panic attacks, because a dose of it will ease the panic attack or make it stop almost immediately. Drs. nowadays rather prescribe Klonopin over Xanax, because it's a lot less habit-forming.

As I already mentioned, you don't get the sudden "rush" (if you will), that you get with the Xanax. A 3 mg cut of any benzodiazepine is a very large cut at one time! Not only is your dose being cut in half, but your medication is being changed. The way I see it, he/she should have added the Klonopin, & tapered you off of the Xanax. But again, I'm no dr., I've just been on both meds myself for over 17 years. So, my answer to you (as I already posted above), is yes. You will most likely feel different, with the med not hitting you right away, but your anxiety will at least be at bay for approx 8 hrs, vs. 3-4. You may have some racing thoughts, insomnia, chills, frequent urination & possibly some mild stomach cramping. You may also experience worse anxiety for the first few days to about a week. Just try not to get in your head too much (I know it's way easier said than done). Try to find something that you really like to do, & do it! It will keep your mind focused on that & not the fact that you're going through some withdrawals. Also, take some nice, hot baths. These will help with any muscle tension. Also, drink, drink, drink lots of H2O! Stay hydrated. This will also help with muscle tension/fatigue. HOPE THIS HELPED

Pgoggans 17 May 2017

I did! Big time for couple weeks then slowly got better up til about 45 days. I was in rehab about 8 days.

Rns5182 31 Dec 2016

I've been prescribed xanax and klonopin at different times in the past, and find that 1mg xanax knocks me out within minutes whereas 1mg kpins just relax me along with a slight buzz... not bad. Takes a little while to kick in but once it does it stays with you for quite some time... unlike xanax... with those the effect wears off fast and you need more... which only made me extremely tired.

SnabbenGundersen 4 Feb 2017

Yes.
The fact that people talk about everything other than what you're asking is quite disturbing due to the effect these meds have on you..
What was the question again?

chuck1957 5 Feb 2017

Hi; all what gets very confusing is someone new, Instead of writing their own post they continue to use an old thread or post this one is 4 years old plus so they end up having to read all the old and sometimes not so nice post. TRY not to use old post it causes lots of confusion. Chuck1957 also sometimes because they are old the don't always get an answer.

Amylizzy78 25 May 2017

It's 2017, are there any new threads? All I keep seeing are threads from years ago! Anyone else notice this a lot?

kristielang 9 Jul 2017

I would like to be text messages with the answer at 262 676 3823

Coachbags 12 Aug 2017

Okay here's the Scoop: Ativan is the lowest of the four groups of benzos; then there's Valium; than Klonopin; and Xanax. Xanax only lasts for about 4 hours so if you're sick or going through withdrawal you're better off with Klonopi. But the milligrams are the same however with an Ativan, there are 10mg which is the equivalent 1mg of Klonopin or xanax and Valium, I believe also comes in 10mg and 5mg would be equivalent to a 0.5 of Xanax or Klonopin.

Dblumenthal26 23 Sep 2018

Yes it has the same effect as xanax

Zanexio 30 May 2019

The klonopin work good for some but if im having a panic attack bad day shoulder itch or blink Xanax makes me forget about it down side is the amnesia and accusation of new mystery items