Citalopram - Did anyone have the side effects of upset stomach or vomiting?

Anonymous 18 Mar 2012

Hello sister1968. They are both common, normal side effects when beginning on the drug. They usually ease up and disappear once you've been taking it for awhile longer. The drug will take about four weeks before you begin to feel its full theraputic capability/potential. Regards, pledge

sister1968 18 Mar 2012

yes, but they say that about alot of drugs, I have heard from alot of people that they didnt have any side effects, I want to know if people have actually experienced it or not.
first time on medication my whole life, dont want to be sick on a pill the first time I try it, I wont be sick for weeks to just to it get better.

Anonymous 29 Apr 2012

My advice to you is every one is different, & have different side effects. If you know several people that take it & don't have that particular side effect, the only way you will know if you will is to try it. They have to report ALL side effects no matter how many or how few. It doesn't automatically mean you will have them. Hope this helps in your decision... Mary

Delila 19 Mar 2012

Hi, sorry i can't put your mind at rest... I didn't experience these side effects, but as Pledge said, they are common potential symptoms. If you are worried give your doctor a call or speak to your pharmacist. I wouldn't worry too much though short term. Hope you feel better soon!

Riku 9 Apr 2012

Hi there. I have just started taking citalopram - I am on day 13 today, and I have felt sick for the entirety. I am taking 20 mg daily and I guess my body is just adjusting to the new medication. It isn't pleasant though and I hope it goes away soon. I can take any physical pain but hate feeling nauseous. I also get headaches and feel tired a lot as I am not sleeping. I have also lost 8kg and have no appetite. I plan to stick with it as many drugs in the SSRI field have similarly unwanted side effects for the first month to six weeks. I hope the symptoms go away for you - I have heard much good about the drug. Good luck!

Asianeyes 6 Aug 2013

Hello I take 10mg a day, I find that if its daytime with food I feel fine but if I take at nighttime I can get an uncomfortable gnawing feeling. Over time you get more use to it and it goes away. I was on it three months or so and in past few months decided take a break from it bc depression sumptoms were gone. Mind that I have unusual sensitivity to taking medicine and tend to get sick alot.

Recently I decided have my prescription refilled I have found that I am no longer able to stomach celexa since being diagnosed with stomach ulcers the high acidity makes my ulcers flare up causing nausea vomiting lasting for days. Im not able to take OTC NSAIDS either among alot other things This is just my individual experience hope it answers your question.

Graceyc 26 Apr 2012

I have been on citalopram 10 mg for three weeks. I'm still having nausea, jaw clenching, crying spells, and headaches.

I have a friend who is on this drug for panic attacks. She vomited for the first two weeks. Her psychiatrist kept her on it and she is now doing fine, 6 months later.

endlessPred 26 Apr 2012

I have had no problems with it except a very mild nausea. Being pregnant was a whole lot worse! lol

Have you contacted your doctor? I get anti nausea meds when a new med is causing an issue. It is also important when you are taking it, if you have eaten at that time and what you are eating. I go for oatmeal, yogurt, and soothing foods. The fiber is essential for the stomach to work on rather than the stomach lining.

Tee6759 26 Apr 2012

I wish I could say it will go away soon. I was on 40mg then went to 60mg. I was fortunate I guess to not experience any of the side effects you speak of. I already had insomnia, so that part didn't affect me any differently. If it causes you such great concern, by all means contact your doctor and discuss this with them. There are others in the same family that may not affect you like this. I hope you find relief. Take care.
In peace
Tee

Anonymous 29 Apr 2012

Tee, are you still on 60mg? there was a FDA warning that anything over 40mg a day can cause heart problems. Just thought you should know about this just in case... Mary

Dumpster Diver 28 Apr 2012

I have been on citalaprn for 6 yrs. 20 mg. No problem, just ate breakfast first
Then Dr. upped it to 40 mgs daily and I felt like a zombie. But in answer to
your ?, no never had nausea.

Graceyc 28 Apr 2012

You are fortunate. Are you still on 40 mg daily?