What is the best relief for hip joint pain?

kaismama 19 May 2012

NSAIDS are the drugs of choice with osteoarthritis. Have you tried taking glucosamine? Icing an inflammed joint sometimes helps. Sometimes its heat, that's a matter of trying and finding out. Opiates are used if nothing else helps. Sometimes a hip replacement is the only answer.

HeadStarter 19 May 2012

Hi georgemg ~

How bad is your hip??? Have you been given a "degree" yet for level of deterioration? I am wondering if a cortisone injection would work for a bit. I have had those before. I finally had to get a full hip replacement which is what I am recovering from now... mine was done Feb. 21 of this year. I was told I had "end stage" osteoarthritis and that was the end of that. Hip replacement was the only option that was going to take care of the pain through my groin and radiating down into my knee. That is now gone so I feel a lot better. Now I have to fully recover because the other hip is already at the "severe" stage and not getting better so it will be done around Feb. of next year.

HeadStarter 19 May 2012

I forgot the obvious answer here:

1. Heating pads on the affected side
or
2. Ice packs or gel packs to numb the area

I also find that using a heated pool for aquatherapy or hydrotherapy works well, too.

Hugs,
Mary

kaismama 19 May 2012

How's it going with your new hip Mary? I like to hear when someone does well with them.

balbanese 19 May 2012

Usually a cortisone shot, but a Dr with complete knowledge of your condition is the one to ask. Hope this helps.

Delila 20 May 2012

Hi, long term Glucosamine and Chondroitin(sp?) are excellent for arthritis/osteoarthritis if that is what you have? As Kaismama has said, NSAIDs are commonly used for hip/joint pain. My father recently had a hip replacement, but before this was done, he saw a physiotherapist who gave him exercises to do at home every day. Keeping as active as possible will help. Also hydrotherapy can be very helpful.

Anonymous 20 May 2012

Hello georgem, & welcome to the site. I can totally relate to your pain as I have severe osteoarthritis in every joint in my body (yes every). I also have severe osetoporosis of which I take Forteo shots to build up the bone. These two diseases usually go hand in hand, but doesn't necessarily mean you have both, just curious.I find heat works best for me, but they reccomend just 20 minutes at a time, & alternate between heat & ice. I personally can't stand the ice, so I live on a heating pad. A cortisone shot may give you great relief as suggested, but if you are in so much pain it is affecting your ability to get around, you may be looking at a hip replacement sooner than later. As the other Mary stated, it's kind of scarey, but no more pain? What more could you ask for. Sounds like a plan if all else fails. I would opt for a body trans- plant if I could, but unfortunately that's not in the works yet! I wish you the best...

Anonymous 20 May 2012

What does your doctor suggest? People can write novels about what works for them, but we don't have a crystal ball to see your DX. What some people are suggesting could be very detrimental to your condition, and make you look like an idiot, drug seeking person to your doctor! Do you have arthritis and if what kind? Is it muscle spams from your back, and if so, what is wrong with your back? I hope that you understand why I am questioning you like this, because this is not site to take the place of a doctor who actually knows what is wrong with you. People could be giving you advice about what works for them, that could actually hurt you! If you are looking for medication suggestions, again start with your doctor, and then ask from there. If you read the rules for the question, it does say "add as MUCH detail as possible". Your question is very vague.

Best of luck to you, and please add details!!

Anonymous 20 May 2012

Hi Ellen. I believe he has osteoarthritis from the group he listed... Mary

Anonymous 21 May 2012

Thanks,, Mary

ukliz 20 May 2012

Hi, I had horrible pain in my left hip and last November I had my first injection of steroids into the joint, I was about a nine out of 10 before the injection and I had no pain after. This lasted for 2 months and then I was in a lot of pain again, the doctor wanted to do surgery to look into the joint but I wasn't keen on that and wanted to give the injection again. I had both hips done this time last month, and so far no pain in the right but small amount in the left. There was another medication suggested by the doctor which she said could be done with the steroid one but my insurance rejected it because it is only FDA approved for the knee joint not the hips, it is called Synvisc it has done wonders for knee pain. You might want to ask if anyone has had this medication given to them and what the results were, because if your pain is so intense it might be worth having to pay out of pocket and give this drug a try.

Lisa01 20 May 2012

I had the Synvisc shots in my knee before I finally had to have it replaced. At that time they came in a set of three, one per week. It's an almost gel-like substance that forms a cushion in the joint. The first round was great, lasted about a year. The second round lasted about six months, and the third lasted less than two months. But they did buy me an extra two years before having to have the replacement. They're currently working on FDA approval for the shots to be used on the shoulder joint, which would be wonderful. I've also had numerous cortisone shots in my knees and shoulders, and yes, they are very helpful. The only problem is that the cortisone breaks down the very tissue that the arthritis is already eating away. So most doctors won't give you very many because they'll end up working against you rather than for you. Like some of the others, heat works best for me, while ice just seems to aggravate the problem. I wish I had the magic answer for you, but unfortunately I don't. Best of luck to you!
Lisa