Has anyone ever used valerian root for anxiety or pain? does it work or a waste of money?

kaismama 12 Oct 2013

It can be calming. I've used it to calm my mind at bedtime.

pickles503 14 Oct 2013

That's so cool, Kai. I'm gonna look that up and see if it will help build my pharmacy. I doubt it. I'm gonna have to get another upboard to hold all my meds. L, Anna

pickles503 14 Oct 2013

Hi wrink!

Valerian is most commonly used for sleep disorders, especially the inability to sleep (insomnia). It is frequently combined with hops, lemon balm, or other herbs that also cause drowsiness. Some people who are trying to withdraw from the use of “sleeping pills” use valerian to help them sleep after they have tapered the dose of the sleeping pill. There is some scientific evidence that valerian works for sleep disorders, although not all studies are positive.

Valerian is also used for conditions connected to anxiety and psychological stress including nervous asthma, hysterical states, excitability, fear of illness (hypochondria), headaches, migraine, and stomach upset.

Some people use valerian for depression, mild tremors, epilepsy, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

BeYondRepair 14 Oct 2013

Hi, I am new to this site and when I saw this question I just had to chime in. I have found Valerian root helpful with sleep aids already on board. Slept like a baby!! However, used alone, it frankly did nothing for me.

wrink 14 Oct 2013

Thank you I wanted to know if anyone used it and if it worked. I know what it is and used for I looked that up but was wondering if it really worked. Didn't want to waste my money if it wasn't going to do nothing.

BeYondRepair 14 Oct 2013

wrink - Sorry to disappoint, but, for pain and anxiety alone, I wouldn't waste my money. It does have a calming effect, but, that does not relieve my anxiety and certainly not my pain. But, as is said many times, different things work for different people. If your question was does it help with sleep, I think the responses would be more positive. But thats NOT your question, but it is your money. I don't know how expensive it is. If not bad, maybe you could try it along with your meds, if that is acceptable. Good luck!!

laurelintarald 2 Mar 2015

I use Valerian to help with my Meralgia Parasthetica. I've had this for over a decade after a partial dislocation of my hip joint, which was never treated (I have only recently been diagnosed).
Having taken the Valerian I no longer suffer from the burning pain, and although it is not entirely gone, I have far more sensation in my leg than I've had for a decade.

samsungtb2 16 May 2015

I have suffered from performance anxiety for years. So embarrassing. I would sweat, trimble, etc. Valerian root is my secret weapon. My brain sees certain situations as dangerous when it is not. As a result, I get an adrenaline dump and my fight or flight response kicks in. I make a small cup of camomile tea and add around 600 to 700 mg of valerian root (liquid form) before I enter an environment that I know triggers my problem. Works for hours. There is a sort of calmness that takes over and I feel totally at peace. I remember my first time using it. I purposely entered into an environment that normally triggers my attacks. I was so amazed and enjoyed myself so much. I spent years avoiding certain social situations that I now can enjoy. FYI I only take Valerian when I need it. It's not an everyday routine for me. I'm not sure if everyday use is safe or if the user will develop an immunity after long term use. Hope this helps.

lawrence12 8 Sep 2015

Could you tell me what brand you used? I pretty much suffer the type of anxiety you described, something that is hard to deal with during-especially when speaking in front of a class comes around. I've tried L-Theanine but am contemplating a switch. The only thing I'm worried about is taking it before going out and end up being mostly drowsy rather than simply calm.

Beckypa 21 Oct 2015

What brand did you use? I need something for my anxiety really bad :(

Beckypa 21 Oct 2015

I didn't but I'm also trying to find out is it helping. I heard some positive things about it so hopefully it'll help. Did you tried it already?

Lemmonsgirl 5 Aug 2016

I love Valerian root for stress. It's a subtle feeling of calm. It you are thinking that you want something that's going to make you feel nothing, this is not it. You may not even notice the effects until after a stressful day when you realize that the Valerian really worked, because your anxiety level was not high. I take themy in pill form when I know I have a stressful situation happening. I just take one 450mg in the morning. I've had different brands they all work the same. My husband says they smell like sweat socks, lol! He's right the do, but after I take them, I don't repeat on me, so I don't keep tasting them later. I've heard the valerian shrub smells too. Valerian has been used for centuries to help people sleep. I've also used for sleep. Work well. Like I said calming effect. I take 3 to 5 if i need it to sleep. Bottle says 5. My mom takes them every night for sleep after dad passed too.

dcraig26 25 Oct 2016

I've used this for my anxiety after being taken off valium. I take 4 pills 530mg three times a day abd it's been very beneficial it calms me really well and though it doesn't really make me sleepy just very calm and I'm able to to carry on in life thanks to it. Give it a try everyone's body is different but give it a few weeks or even a month for it to work if your taking it regularly like I am.