Has anyone been prescribed ABILIFY alone? Not as an add-on to an anti-depressant?

Bsteinbrueck 14 Mar 2012

Are you being treated for depression only? Abilify is an antipsychotic medication so it CAN be used without an antidepressant, but not to treat depression. Are you on any other medications at all? And what are you being treated for?
Answering those questions will help the people on here help you.
Let us know :)
-B

bettervedder 14 Mar 2012

Hi. Thank you for writing.
I was diagnosed with Bi-polar 2 recently. I spend approx. 75 percent of the time with debilitating depression. My upswings are never a problem. I just feel great & can accomplish alot. I'm not on any other medications. That's why the prescription seemed strange to me.

Bsteinbrueck 14 Mar 2012

May I ask your age? And when were you diagnosed? Did you have a different diagnosis before this one? Depending on your answers, I may have a LOT of insight to share with you. Let me know! I'll friend you so you can private message me if you'd like.
-B

bettervedder 14 Mar 2012

Thank you, B! I added you as a friend :-) I'm new, so I hope it worked. Let me know. AND Thank you again!!

christle 13 Aug 2013

I am 40... I have been on too many anti depressants to list my last one I just got of was viibrd I have chronic depression will ambilify work without an antidepressant?? my doctor didn't prescribe one with it just the abilify but I mostly here this is used as an add-on?

Wristycat 28 Mar 2014

I am a 35 yr old female and I hv bn diagnosed w/bi polar typ 2 .. I also suffer from severe anxiety And I'm now on abilify alone, and I feel great and I hv bn on almost all medications.. My last one was cymbalta. I also take benzo's for my anxiety. So I was just wondering if it is normal to get such good results being on this med alone...

Thanks, cat

slattery 14 Mar 2012

No, I think I read on a website that an anti-psychotic can be used as a bipolar drug on it's own... plus I see that abilify is also considered to be the anti-depressant "balance" for those suffering from bipolar. So yes, this can be done; whether the anti-psychotic drug is abilify, zyprexa, risperadone or seroquel. The abilify literature DOES state that it is also an anti-depressant, albeit that it is also used as a safeguard against psychosis... so I guess that it has dual properties. And I must say that based on my experience, this drug is STREETS ahead when contrasted with zyprexa, in terms of the absence of side effects. Except that I unfortunately ran into health problems along physical lines (and I think that those started with YEARS of being over-medicated on zyprexa!) it is a NICE drug to take. You don't get nastily sedated, very minor if no weight gain, and just for me, you feel good on the drug. So if this is what your dr. is doing, it sounds like it's common practice. And besides which, the fewer drugs you can get away with taking, the better, right? Kathleen

Bsteinbrueck 14 Mar 2012

I agree that more medication does not equal better results. It just complicates everything even more than it already is.
I also agree that it is possible to use Abilify for bipolar disorder. However, antipsychotic medications have a whole lot more possible long term or permanently damaging side effects compared to other options such as mood stabilizers like Lamictal.
Literature may state that Abilify can also act as an antidepressant, but that does not change the fact that it is an antipsychotic medication as well. I know these kinds of meds are needed in certain cases, but because of the risks that come with them, it only seems right to use them as a last resort.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Bipolar type two is VERY different from bipolar one. It is much less common for an antipsychotic to be beneficial to someone with type two. Not that it CAN'T be, but other, less severe options need to be tried first. If someone has tried other options with no success, then it may be necessary to see if the antipsychotic helps them.

slattery 14 Mar 2012

Oh yeah sure, I absolutely agree all right with your statement that if it was a toss-up between a mood stabilizer or an anti-psychotic, the mood stabilizer's the way to go. But I was just trying to bear in mind that the dr. may have a particular objective in mind... i.e. there must be a REASON why he'd prescribe an anti-psychotic w/anti-depressant qualities over a plain old mood stabilizer. After all, the patient never gets to see his/her records, & there may be further commentaries documented/observed by the dr. which the patient is not privy to. You see, the problem here on drugs.com is that none of us are psychiatrists, and all WE are doing is dishing out layman's advice from a fellow patients' point of view... and the danger there is that not being experts with MD degree's, we just don't totally know why a doctor makes a particular decision to render a specific drug.

bettervedder 15 Mar 2012

Thank you for writing, Kathleen!
This is very helpful.

bettervedder 15 Mar 2012

Wow! You girls are great. I'm very appreciative of all of your advice.

slattery 15 Mar 2012

Great bettervedder! Our aim is to please here, lolol! Good luck with sorting this dilemma out. And my further bit of advice is that trying to establish a good rapport & open lines of communication with your doctor is really important to his/her being able to make a guess @ which drug is best suited for you. Kathleen