I was on 10 mg amitriptyline for 3 months for headaches and insomnia. I tolerated this dose well with some dry mouth and grogginess upon waking. After 3 months I decided to taper down, with the approval of my neurologist. I tapered to 5 mg (using a pill splitter) for 1 month and then 2.5 mg... but promptly began experiencing major withdrawal symptoms. I had 10/10 headache that sent me to the ER, as well as high levels of fear, panic, and anxiety which are completely abnormal for me. Correlated to this was also diarrhea, rapid heart rate, and trouble urinating.

We connected all this to withdrawal and I went back up to 10 mg, with symptoms steadily improving. Note that Ami has delayed withdrawal symptoms. More recently, my progress seems to have stalled and somewhat declined. I am again experiencing rapid heart rate and headache, but the emotional symptoms are not as pronounced.

The doc has suggested that I switch to Nortriptyline as perhaps it can be more effective for me. I would like to know if anyone has had experience switching from Amitrip to Nortrip and if you noted any adverse effects with the switch? I am hesitant to change things. I do not want to go through withdrawal all over again.

Also, has anyone gone through Amitrip withdrawal and what was your experience like/what did you do to stabilize and then taper effectively later on?