What happens with abrupt stop of Lamictal (Lamotrigine)?

Anonymous 21 Jan 2013

Hello Blackey101,

Do not stop taking Lamictal / lamotrigine without first talking to your doctor, even if you feel fine. You may have increased seizures if you stop using lamotrigine suddenly. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.

Read more at https://www.drugs.com/mtm/lamotrigine.html

Take care,

masso.-

pickles503 22 Jan 2013

Hi Blackey.

I'm going to give you a very looooong version of the info I found. Sorry this is so long, but in this case I had to.

Lamotrigine is a medication that works in the brain to treat bipolar disorder. It is also approved for the treatment of seizure disorders. Bipolar disorder involves episodes of depression and/or mania.

A depressive episode, or depression, occurs when a person experiences several of the following symptoms at the same time: “low” or depressed mood (e.g., sad, empty, tearful), decreased interest in most or all activities, changes in appetite (usually decreased), changes in sleep (usually poor sleep), loss of energy, feeling worthless/guilty/ hopeless/ helpless, difficulty concentrating, thoughts of death (suicidal thinking).

onceateacher 22 Jan 2013

Your answer covers it all. I have been taking it for 2 years or so at 400mg for Bipolar. Decreased it on my own from 400 to 250 (HUGE mistake, was in middle of slight manic phase and conversion disorder). We are back at 300 and I'm going to ask psych to increase again. It is very dangerous to stop or decrease without doc input. It only stays in system for 24 hours so before it begins to wear off over the course of the day. Looking to going back to 200 twice a day, 300 at night is not working with mood stabilization during the evening. We had added Respiradal .5mg which was great at first but after 2 weeks caused a huge amount of anxiety. Went off it. Will not go off or decrease Lamictal again, mainstay of medication regime.

pickles503 22 Jan 2013

Hi once.
It's great that you recognized the side effects of withdrawing from Lamictal. Some people refuse to respect their body enough to believe it. I stopped taking lamotrigine when I went into mania, and I had hallucinations, and other symptoms that you already know about. I take 400 mg per day. I usually take it all at once. Lamotrogines makes me nauseous
so I eat it in between food. Like, a sandwich divided in 4, and 100 mg of Lamictal after each quarter of a sandwich. You probably already know that, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. I want to take it in late morning or afternoon, however, that's not always the case. I get lazy or I'm busy, or whatever. I feel the difference when I don't take it till night time. I don't have the energy, and I think it affects my mood(or I'm a b--- h.) It's a toss up. I also noticed that when Lamotrgine kicks in, I have 3-4 hrs of great energy. I could kick an entire football teams butt.
God bless you, Sweetheart.
Love,
Anna

rhercules1961 7 Apr 2015

I recently ran out. I'm unemployed and get tired of asking my family for help. My brother is worth more than a million but keeps a ledger of how much I owe him and reminds me frequently.

I got it today but was off it for a week. Don't ever do that!! I'm having spasms, phantom smells, fatigue and disturbing dreams.

I have no desire to do anything. It is a wonderful med but only if you follow the prescribed dosage.

Hope this helps:)

Ashsmith 23 Jun 2015

Hi..I recently stopped taking 100mg of lamictal, today is my 5th day. I had called my pharmacy and spoke with the pharmacist, he suggested taking half the dosage and skipping days in between. However I just stopped..and the only issue I'm really having is zero appetite and upset stomach, and I couldn't sleep last night. However I'm remaining positive that I'll feel better in a few days. How did you feel when you started taking it again? Did you slowly introduce it back into your system?

monogato 22 Aug 2015

I do not use my rx benefits for Lamical. Genetic for 150 mg once a day for 30 days is $9.00 usd.

want2boffmedz 17 May 2016

I stopped taking Lamotrigine for a week now and I am having spasms, loss of appetite because my food smells weird. I am so tired of taking so many pills. I have seizures so I also take Gabepetin and Topamax. I have another illness that requires me to take an additional 2 pill in the morning and 1 at night. My docs also had me on Citolapram. I quit taking that too, last week. My muscles hurt, maybe from spasms at night, I also am a little confused about things. It is about dates and stuff like that. I am 50 years old. But you know what, I can conquer this! I didn't have to take all of this medicine before, it is too much! I want my body and brain back!! I'll let you all know what happens. I haven't told my doctors yet what I am doing. I am keeping a journal. I am also eating heathier to see if this helps. Thank you for your time.

Anon1977 2 Aug 2016

I take 200 mg twice daily for seizures. One of the side effects of Lamotrigine is short term memory loss which happens all to often with me. In fact it happens so often that I occasionally forget to renew or refill my prescription before it runs out. I know I could do the auto-replenish system but I've had bad experiences with pharmacies screwing that up in the past plus I'm very OCD and like to micromanage everything. Anyway, I forgot to place a renewal last week and was forced to be without my medication for 3 entire days while the details were being worked out. That may not sound like much but in the case of Lamotrigine it's an eternity. I've lapsed before and the most common side effect has been disorientation and confusion. This time however it was that and worse. I've experienced minor spells of depression in the past but never like what happened this past weekend while off my meds.

shellybeans 3 Aug 2016

Please get weaned off. LAMICITAL primarily treats seizures, not just metal health help they later learned, so to stop abruptly you increase a risk of having seizures, spasms, uncontollable tics... check out all the info to your question right here on drugs.com, ought to be enough info/proof. . Please don't cold stop it!

Ashsmith 13 days ago

I wasn't on this medication for seizures, and I felt like crap for a couple weeks but once I started the probiotic I felt fine and have been off all meds for 2 years now. And I recommend probiotic to everyone!!! Your doctor can slowly take you off the same way they slowly put you on it