Fanapt Side Effects
Generic Name: iloperidone
Note: This document contains side effect information about iloperidone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Fanapt.
Some side effects of Fanapt may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to iloperidone: oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, iloperidone (the active ingredient contained in Fanapt) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking iloperidone:More common
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- Blurred vision
- body aches or pain
- cold sweats
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty with moving
- difficulty with speaking
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position suddenly
- ear congestion
- inability to sit still
- loss of balance control
- loss of voice
- muscle pain or stiffness
- muscle trembling, jerking, or stiffness
- nasal congestion
- need to keep moving
- pain in the joints
- runny nose
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- shortness of breath
- shuffling walk
- sore throat
- stiffness of the limbs
- tightness in the chest
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- twitching, twisting, uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
- uncontrolled movements, especially of the face, neck, and back
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
- Abdominal or stomach fullness
- aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs
- actions that are out of control
- aggressive or angry
- attack, assault, or force
- back pain
- black, tarry stools
- bloody nose
- burning while urinating
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- chest pain or discomfort
- confusion as to time, place, or person
- decrease in the amount of urine
- decrease in the frequency of urination
- decrease in urine volume
- decreased awareness or responsiveness
- decreased urination
- decreased weight
- difficult or painful urination
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- difficulty with walking
- dilated neck veins
- dry mouth
- dry skin and hair
- extreme thirst
- extremely high fever or body temperature
- false beliefs that cannot be changed by facts
- fast, shallow breathing
- feeling cold
- frequent urination
- gaseous abdominal pain
- groin pain
- hair loss
- hoarseness or husky voice
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
- inability to move the eyes
- increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
- increased thirst
- irregular breathing
- loss of appetite
- loss of bladder control
- mimicry of speech or movements
- mood swings
- muscle aching or cramping
- muscle spasms
- muscle twitching
- nausea or vomiting
- noisy breathing
- noisy, rattling breathing
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- pale, clammy skin
- peculiar postures or movements, mannerisms, or grimacing
- pounding, slow heartbeat
- rapid breathing
- rapid weight gain
- recurrent fever
- severe sleepiness
- slow movement
- slow reflexes
- sore throat
- sore tongue
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- sticking out of tongue
- sunken eyes
- swelling of the face, ankles, fingers, feet, or lower legs
- swollen glands
- swollen joints
- swollen, tender prostate
- talking, feeling, and acting with excitement
- troubled breathing at rest
- troubled breathing with exertion
- uncontrolled twisting movements of the neck, trunk, arms, or legs
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
- unusual facial expressions
- weight gain
- wrinkled skin
- yellow eyes or skin
Some side effects of iloperidone may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- Abdominal or stomach discomfort
- not able to ejaculate semen
- stuffy nose
- Absent, missed, or irregular menstrual periods
- blurred vision
- breast pain
- burning feeling in the chest or stomach
- burning upper abdominal pain
- canker sores
- continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- decreased vision
- delusions of persecution, mistrust, suspiciousness, or combativeness
- dry eyes
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- hearing loss
- inability to have or keep an erection
- increase in blood flow to the whites of the eyes
- increased appetite
- increased watering of the mouth
- irregular menstruation
- irritation or soreness of the mouth
- longer or heavier menstrual periods
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- loss of bowel control
- loss of memory
- normal menstrual bleeding occurring earlier, possibly lasting longer than expected
- problems with memory
- redness, swelling, or itching of the eyelids
- sensation of spinning
- stomach upset
- stopping of menstrual bleeding
- swelling of the breasts or breast soreness in both females and males
- swelling or inflammation of the mouth
- tenderness in the stomach area
- uncontrolled eye movements
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to iloperidone: oral kit, oral tablet
Extrapyramidal symptoms have included akathisia (up to 2.3%), bradykinesia (up to 0.6%), dyskinesia (up to 1.7%), dystonia (up to 1%), Parkinsonism (up to 0.3%), and tremor (up to 3.1%).
Nervous system side effects including dizziness (up to 20%), somnolence (up to 15%), extrapyramidal disorder (up to 5%), tremor (3%), and lethargy (up to 3%) have been reported. Paraesthesia, psychomotor hyperactivity, restlessness, amnesia, and nystagmus have been reported infrequently. Restless legs syndrome has been reported rarely.
Cardiovascular side effects including tachycardia (up to 12%), orthostatic hypotension (5%), and hypotension (3%) have been reported. Palpitations have been reported frequently. Arrhythmia, first degree atrioventricular block, cardiac failure (including both congestive and acute) have been reported rarely.
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea (up to 10%), dry mouth (up to 10%), and abdominal discomfort (up to 3%) have been reported. Gastritis, salivary hypersecretion, fecal incontinence, and mouth ulceration have been reported infrequently. Aphthous stomatitis, duodenal ulcer, hiatus hernia, hyperchlorhydria, lip ulceration, reflux esophagitis, and stomatitis have been reported rarely.
General side effects including increased weight (up to 9%), fatigue (up to 6%), and arthralgia (3%) and have been reported. Decreased weight has been reported frequently. Edema, increased appetite, difficulty in walking, and thirst have been reported infrequently. Hyperthermia has been reported rarely.
Respiratory side effects including nasal congestion (up to 8%), nasopharyngitis (up to 4%), upper respiratory tract infection (up to 3%), and dyspnea (2%) have been reported. Epistaxis, asthma, rhinorrhea, sinus congestion, and nasal dryness have been reported infrequently. Dry throat, sleep apnea syndrome, and exertional dyspnea have been reported rarely.
Ocular side effects including blurred vision (up to 3%) have been reported. Conjunctivitis (including allergic) has been reported frequently. Dry eye, blepharitis, eyelid edema, eye swelling, lenticular opacities, cataract, and hyperemia (including conjunctival) has been reported infrequently.
Musculoskeletal side effects including musculoskeletal stiffness (up to 3%) have been reported. Myalgia and muscle spasms have been reported frequently. Torticollis has been reported rarely.
Dermatologic side effects including rash (up to 3%) have been reported.
Genitourinary side effects including ejaculatory failure (2%) have been reported. Erectile dysfunction has been reported frequently. Testicular pain, amenorrhea, and breast pain have been reported infrequently. Irregular menstruation, gynecomastia, menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, postmenopausal hemorrhage, and prostatitis have been reported rarely.
Psychiatric side effects including restlessness, aggression, and delusion have been reported frequently. Hostility, decreased libido, paranoia, anorgasmia, confusional state, mania, catatonia, mood swings, panic attack, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, delirium, polydipsia psychogenic, impulse-control disorder, and major depression have been reported infrequently.
Renal side effects including urinary incontinence have been reported frequently. Dysuria, pollakiuria, enuresis, and nephrolithiasis have been reported infrequently. Urinary retention and acute renal failure have been reported rarely.
Metabolic side effects including dehydration, hypokalemia, and fluid retention have been reported infrequently.
Hematologic side effects including anemia, decreased hemoglobin, increased neutrophil count, decreased hematocrit, and iron deficiency anemia have been reported infrequently. Leukopenia has been reported rarely.
Endocrine side effects including hypothyroidism have been reported infrequently.
Hepatobiliary side effects including cholelithiasis have been reported infrequently.
Other side effects including vertigo and tinnitus have been reported infrequently.
More about Fanapt (iloperidone)
Compare with other treatments for:
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.