User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 277 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Helped migraine and daily headache, however gave suicidal thoughts so discontinued.

September 2, 2012 3:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I love Topamax. I can only take the minimal dosage or else I will get the tingling and start to feel a little out of it. I was suffering from silent migraines for over a year and a half. Nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, light headedness, fatigue, upset stomach and daily headaches but the headaches could be cured with ibuprofen. Of course, it took a while to figure out that these symptoms were all caused by migraines but they were and after taking Topamax for 2 weeks I stopped having silent migraines. I even went off of it after about 3 months of being on it, just to see if my body had possibly regulated itself, but it had not. I was sick again in no time. It was horrible. It took about 2 weeks for the Topamax to kick back in.

August 26, 2012 9:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Topamax for 12 years as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 1 disorder. It is a GREAT mood stabilizer and I used to be quite heavy and I lost 100 pounds in around 6 months (yes you read that right!). The bad part was HORRIBLE side effects. Constant itching in the summer. I developed a 9mm kidney stone when I had no prior history. I developed a blood disorder (something acidosis, was told this was a rare side effect, but that was why I stopped taking it. However, if I could go back in time would I still take it? You bet! One of the best mood stabilizers I've ever been on. Just make sure you EAT when taking it, it makes you not want to eat.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2012 9:51 AM

Review by Kryskay (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax for about 2 years now. I am very thankful that my neurologist finally prescribed it for me. I have had my share of side effects for sure. I still cannot eat a hamburger or steak because any kind of red meat tastes funny now. I'm ok with that. At first carbonated sodas tasted flat so I stopped drinking them, but I found the trick to overcoming that one. If I drink them fast I get the carbonated sensation. I still do not drink very many though. Over time the tingling in my hands and face subsided. The one side effect that bothers me the most is my intolerance to heat. If I get just the least bit over heated I will faint. I will even faint from a hot shower. But I do not have near as many migraines.

July 25, 2012 5:32 PM

Review by Dopamax (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I took this medicine off and on for years. And I can honestly say it has helped my migraines tremendously. I suffer from migraines with the aura, and while off Topamax they come in weekly clusters. About once every couple of months I will have a week from hell. On Topamax I have one attack every couple of months. BUT, the side effects are unbearable.

July 24, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by FortyFour (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizure Prevention: I was prescribed this medicine to treat my petite mal seizures. I was never warned of any potential side-effects, and never thought to ask, seeing as I had never taken a medicine before. After I began taking this, my seizures graduated to full out grand mal seizures. I couldn't speak, I couldn't understand others' speech, and I couldn't sleep more than a few hours most nights. Everything came to a heads about four months after I began taking the medicine, when I couldn't remember how to say "Bye" to my dad. I would have rather had seizures EVERY day than stay on Topamax! I got off of the medicine, and am now on Lamictal, under which I haven't had any seizures or side-effects in the two years I've been taking it.

June 20, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by JH in Maryland (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist added Topamax to my tricyclic and beta-blocker in hopes that it would control my vestibular migraines (total balance loss). It failed completely, but its side effects included immediate impotence, decreased libido, and substantial difficulty finding words. My vocabulary for 3 syllable words dropped 50%. I sounded drunk.

June 19, 2012 5:02 PM

Review by Cnovello (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist was right. The trick is starting dose low and building up a week at a time, letting your body get used to it. I'm up to 75mg and holding.

May 26, 2012 1:10 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: WEIGHT LOSS GREAT but hair loss is not worth it

May 20, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by KTD7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Unfortunately, I got more headaches while I was on Topamax. They increased from once a week to several a week. I'm sure I'm an exception to the rule, but one size does not fit all.

May 9, 2012 12:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Used to get 2-3 weekly migraines before Topamax and would run out of Fioricet and Imitrex. I tapered up to the 100 mg dose and while I do get the occasional tingling in my fingers and toes, its nothing compared to a full fledged migraine. I also dropped 8 or 9 lbs, which is a lot for me since I'm 5'2 and was 129, now I'm 121lbs. I have almost no appetite, but almost no migraines.

April 29, 2012 9:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I switched to Topamax from Lamictal to see if it would control my bipolar disorder and help me lose weight. My mood and sleep have been incredible and I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks on Topamax. I was a little worried about having memory problems but have not suffered this side effect at all. Have a little tingling in my feet at night but not bad enough to stop taking it. Overall I highly recommend this medication for bipolar disorder.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2012 6:17 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax worked great to prevent migraines, however the side effects that I experienced were not worth the prevention. I experienced numbness and tingling in my extremities, severe problems with word retrieval, a complete inability to focus or concentrate, anxiety, agitation, severe mood issues (I became very angry and upset at the smallest of things). But what finally did me in was severe epigastric pain, nausea, dizziness and disorientation that came about suddenly and was persistent until I titrated myself off the medication after a visit to the urgent care. As soon as I got off Topamax, the migraines were back every day and I question which was worse - the migraines or the side effects.

April 8, 2012 12:14 AM

Review by ......:

For Migraine Prevention: I took topiramate for approx 3 months before I refused to continue with the therapy. The side effects (peripheral neuropathy, inability to remember anything, altered taste of just about everything, insomnia were not worth suffering through. So I'm still going through an adjustment. As of right now, I have been taking propranolol for a month and have not had a migraine (was getting 1-2 a week previously).

April 6, 2012 9:27 PM

Review by luv zombies:

For Migraine Prevention: I love this medication. I have chronic migraines. It was nothing for me to have 5 in 3 days. I started this medicine and I have only have two migraines and it was nothing compared to what they used to be like. I only had one side effect my soda tasted funny. I don't drink soda any more... Easy fix. I've been on it for 4 months now. I would highly recommend it.

April 5, 2012 9:50 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Been on Topamax for 3 months I have recently gone up on the dose to 75 mg at bedtime. I've been all right dealing with the tingling. I have quit smoking and drinking which is great. I started working out alot since I've been so anxious. Possible side effect? The worst for me is the sleep issues and the mood swings. Since the dose went up I am having terrible night sweats and am waking up all night long. I'm exhausted all day with little to no motivation. My mood swings quickly and dramatically from happy to annoyed. Just trying to wait it out. I'm still having headaches everyday. Just not migraines.

April 3, 2012 3:29 PM

Review by tdiamond:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax for about 6 months for Migraines. I take 50mg per day. I am written to take 25mg morning and night but I take it all at night, which works better for me. I have not had a single migraine since starting Topamax therapy and I find it helps to stabilize my mood in conjunction with Effexor XR. I also have cyclothemia. I have also lost 45 pounds with this medication. I have not noticed horrible side effects with exception of some tingling in my lower extremities, but it is not that bad and far less worse than the migraines I once suffered on a weekly basis. I am very pleased with Topamax. I refused to take Depakote because of weight gain and its effect on the liver.

March 24, 2012 6:45 PM

Review by dimples12553:

For Migraine Prevention: Well I was on Topamax for approximately 6mos. My doctor hoped that he would be able to get me to the medicinal dosage of about 25mg twice daily. However I could not stand the way the medicine made me fall asleep. If I took it at 8pm, I passed out by 8:15. I can say that I was getting the BEST sleep of my life. I was afraid to take it in the morning before/during or after work, so I only took it once I got home. I only got to the 5mg dosage before I stopped taking it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2012 11:34 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar seven years ago and have basically been on Topamax along with Welbutrin the whole time. I have not really experienced the weight loss. I do feel fatigued and have been feeling very angry lately. I also feel sort of zombied out.

March 17, 2012 8:51 PM

For Obesity: Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 12:05 AM

Review by pepper73:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: It took me a year to be diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia - and I had to go to a doctor in Vienna for this, because the doctors in Romania misdiagnosed me - but Topamax is the medicine that really saved my life. Literally! Because I was contemplating suicide, the pain was that bad and nothing else was working for me. I have lost a little weight in the first couple of months and I also have some trouble finding common words while speaking, but otherwise I did not experience any other side effects so far. My cholesterol level is now increasing - I am wondering if anyone is experiencing that as a possible side effect.

February 23, 2012 8:53 AM

For Migraine Prevention: Helped a lot with chronic migraines. I lost a lot of weight (I weighed 146 and I dropped down to 123 in two months). I ate less but I was still eating close to what I ate before being on the medicine. I think it must speed up your metobolism. I had some mood changes and I did have a little memory loss. I would forget words and things like that. I work with people so I noticed it more because people would point it out. My hands/feet tingled. I noticed less side effects when I took the medicine at night. I only take 50mg at night, that's all I ever have taken and it works for me. It does wonders for my migraines and it's worth the minor side effects. If you are a pop or beer drinker you will HATE it because it ruins carbonated beverages.

February 22, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by lazyfries85:

For Seizure Prevention: First off my dosage 200mg twice a day, 26 yo male. It's works, in fact the only anti-seizure medication that has worked for me. I have noticed weight loss of 15 to 20lbs under my natural weight (135 to 155 at 5'11") from being on the meds to off (but that could be lack of exercise). Other than that keeps me going in my daily life. Just don't miss too many.

February 21, 2012 12:51 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I started getting migraines when I was about 12 years old. I had terrible migraines on and off for about 3 years. I finally went to the doctor and he put me on Topamax. I have been taking it for about a year now and the only time I get migraines is when I don't refill my prescription right away. Even though I get the occasional migraine, it is nothing compared to what it was before I started taking the medicine. Also, I have not noticed any side effects. Topamax is a miracle!

February 13, 2012 8:09 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Started taking this about a month ago to level out my moods. I noticed difficulty focusing at first but it stopped. I'm also having tingling hands, feet, and face occasionally but with the way this medicine works it's worth it. Since I've been on it I'm like a new person, this medicine is a God send. Try it.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2012 1:45 AM