User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 267 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Used to get 2-3 weekly migraines before Topamax and would run out of Fioricet and Imitrex. I tapered up to the 100 mg dose and while I do get the occasional tingling in my fingers and toes, its nothing compared to a full fledged migraine. I also dropped 8 or 9 lbs, which is a lot for me since I'm 5'2 and was 129, now I'm 121lbs. I have almost no appetite, but almost no migraines.

April 29, 2012 9:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I switched to Topamax from Lamictal to see if it would control my bipolar disorder and help me lose weight. My mood and sleep have been incredible and I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks on Topamax. I was a little worried about having memory problems but have not suffered this side effect at all. Have a little tingling in my feet at night but not bad enough to stop taking it. Overall I highly recommend this medication for bipolar disorder.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2012 6:17 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax worked great to prevent migraines, however the side effects that I experienced were not worth the prevention. I experienced numbness and tingling in my extremities, severe problems with word retrieval, a complete inability to focus or concentrate, anxiety, agitation, severe mood issues (I became very angry and upset at the smallest of things). But what finally did me in was severe epigastric pain, nausea, dizziness and disorientation that came about suddenly and was persistent until I titrated myself off the medication after a visit to the urgent care. As soon as I got off Topamax, the migraines were back every day and I question which was worse - the migraines or the side effects.

April 8, 2012 12:14 AM

Review by ......:

For Migraine Prevention: I took topiramate for approx 3 months before I refused to continue with the therapy. The side effects (peripheral neuropathy, inability to remember anything, altered taste of just about everything, insomnia were not worth suffering through. So I'm still going through an adjustment. As of right now, I have been taking propranolol for a month and have not had a migraine (was getting 1-2 a week previously).

April 6, 2012 9:27 PM

Review by luv zombies:

For Migraine Prevention: I love this medication. I have chronic migraines. It was nothing for me to have 5 in 3 days. I started this medicine and I have only have two migraines and it was nothing compared to what they used to be like. I only had one side effect my soda tasted funny. I don't drink soda any more... Easy fix. I've been on it for 4 months now. I would highly recommend it.

April 5, 2012 9:50 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Been on Topamax for 3 months I have recently gone up on the dose to 75 mg at bedtime. I've been all right dealing with the tingling. I have quit smoking and drinking which is great. I started working out alot since I've been so anxious. Possible side effect? The worst for me is the sleep issues and the mood swings. Since the dose went up I am having terrible night sweats and am waking up all night long. I'm exhausted all day with little to no motivation. My mood swings quickly and dramatically from happy to annoyed. Just trying to wait it out. I'm still having headaches everyday. Just not migraines.

April 3, 2012 3:29 PM

Review by tdiamond:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax for about 6 months for Migraines. I take 50mg per day. I am written to take 25mg morning and night but I take it all at night, which works better for me. I have not had a single migraine since starting Topamax therapy and I find it helps to stabilize my mood in conjunction with Effexor XR. I also have cyclothemia. I have also lost 45 pounds with this medication. I have not noticed horrible side effects with exception of some tingling in my lower extremities, but it is not that bad and far less worse than the migraines I once suffered on a weekly basis. I am very pleased with Topamax. I refused to take Depakote because of weight gain and its effect on the liver.

March 24, 2012 6:45 PM

Review by dimples12553:

For Migraine Prevention: Well I was on Topamax for approximately 6mos. My doctor hoped that he would be able to get me to the medicinal dosage of about 25mg twice daily. However I could not stand the way the medicine made me fall asleep. If I took it at 8pm, I passed out by 8:15. I can say that I was getting the BEST sleep of my life. I was afraid to take it in the morning before/during or after work, so I only took it once I got home. I only got to the 5mg dosage before I stopped taking it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2012 11:34 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar seven years ago and have basically been on Topamax along with Welbutrin the whole time. I have not really experienced the weight loss. I do feel fatigued and have been feeling very angry lately. I also feel sort of zombied out.

March 17, 2012 8:51 PM

For Obesity: Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 12:05 AM

Review by pepper73:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: It took me a year to be diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia - and I had to go to a doctor in Vienna for this, because the doctors in Romania misdiagnosed me - but Topamax is the medicine that really saved my life. Literally! Because I was contemplating suicide, the pain was that bad and nothing else was working for me. I have lost a little weight in the first couple of months and I also have some trouble finding common words while speaking, but otherwise I did not experience any other side effects so far. My cholesterol level is now increasing - I am wondering if anyone is experiencing that as a possible side effect.

February 23, 2012 8:53 AM

For Migraine Prevention: Helped a lot with chronic migraines. I lost a lot of weight (I weighed 146 and I dropped down to 123 in two months). I ate less but I was still eating close to what I ate before being on the medicine. I think it must speed up your metobolism. I had some mood changes and I did have a little memory loss. I would forget words and things like that. I work with people so I noticed it more because people would point it out. My hands/feet tingled. I noticed less side effects when I took the medicine at night. I only take 50mg at night, that's all I ever have taken and it works for me. It does wonders for my migraines and it's worth the minor side effects. If you are a pop or beer drinker you will HATE it because it ruins carbonated beverages.

February 22, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by lazyfries85:

For Seizure Prevention: First off my dosage 200mg twice a day, 26 yo male. It's works, in fact the only anti-seizure medication that has worked for me. I have noticed weight loss of 15 to 20lbs under my natural weight (135 to 155 at 5'11") from being on the meds to off (but that could be lack of exercise). Other than that keeps me going in my daily life. Just don't miss too many.

February 21, 2012 12:51 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I started getting migraines when I was about 12 years old. I had terrible migraines on and off for about 3 years. I finally went to the doctor and he put me on Topamax. I have been taking it for about a year now and the only time I get migraines is when I don't refill my prescription right away. Even though I get the occasional migraine, it is nothing compared to what it was before I started taking the medicine. Also, I have not noticed any side effects. Topamax is a miracle!

February 13, 2012 8:09 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Started taking this about a month ago to level out my moods. I noticed difficulty focusing at first but it stopped. I'm also having tingling hands, feet, and face occasionally but with the way this medicine works it's worth it. Since I've been on it I'm like a new person, this medicine is a God send. Try it.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2012 1:45 AM

For Migraine Prevention: This is my magic migraine pill. I had migraine headaches 3-5 days a week, experienced intolerable side-effects from the Imitrex and had tried various other "triptans" and a tricyclic antidepressant before my doctor put me on this one 25mg 2x/day. I LOVE TOPAMAX! I have no headaches unless I am under undue stress. It regulated my sleep-patterns, reduced my anxiety significantly, and I lost about 10 pounds (best side-effect ever). Wouldn't give it up for anything.

February 9, 2012 10:17 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I had fewer migraines while on Topamax, but the side effects were HORRIBLE for me. I had tingly/numb fingers, brain fog and problems with word retrieval (not good for a teacher), plus it triggered depression-like side effects. The side effects were just not worth it.

February 9, 2012 9:21 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I took it for about 3 weeks with no improvement in symptoms whatsoever. Side effects included complete loss of appetite and rapid weight loss, mood swings, intense nausea, insomnia, hallucinations, memory problems and constant confusion. Everyone reacts differently I guess, but this was not the medicine for me.

January 19, 2012 6:41 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I started this medication for weight lose, bipolar, migraines. Seems like it may just be perfect...hopefully. I just finished my first week and lost 3 pounds! I workout 5-6 days a week but due to antidepressants making me gain so much weight, regardless of my diet and exercise I am fat. So today stepping on that scale and seeing 3 POUNDS LIGHGTER! I am a very moody person but the medicine seems to be making it right, moods seem to be very level. And haven't had one migraine! No side effects other than weight loss and loss of appetite..can't complain about that!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2012 11:51 PM

Review by ClusterPuck:

For Migraine Prevention: I've read some mixed reviews about Topamax. Mine were awful, short-term memory loss, a state of "duhh", just horrible funcionality in general. I felt like I was getting dumber, plus no change in the migraines and cluster headaches. Any sufferer of these types of headaches knows what I mean when you feel that type of pain thrusting through the veins of one side of your head. Everything aches, even your teeth ache. Touching it hurts, leaving it alone hearts...everything hurts. Anyway, I had high hopes in Topamax but no results. I am now on Elavil and I swear it's a miracle. No headaches since.

December 20, 2011 2:10 PM

Review by efloyd105:

For Fibromyalgia: Had cognitive thought and short term memory loss issues.

December 16, 2011 10:36 AM

For Migraine Prevention: I have been taking 25MG of Topamax before bed daily for the prevention of my migraines with aura. Been taking it for almost 2 months. I haven't had an aura or a migraine since I started taking it. I love this medicine! Only side effect I have noticed so far is tingling in my feet sometimes, but so far not bad. The one thing that is bothersome about this medicine is that birth control bills are less effective and its recommended to use a different form of birth control. IUD is what I think I'm going to try.

November 18, 2011 9:46 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I am 31 yrs old and have fought migraines for 9 years. I took Topamax several years ago and decided I did not like side effects and wanted to try other medications. After trying MANY different medications and being sent from one doctor to another for daily chronic migraines that took over my life nothing was working. Recently I decided to give Topamax one more try. Within 2 weeks I have felt better than I have in two years. I still have small but manageable headaches and expect them to get better because I am slowly upping dose to 4/day. Good luck to all of you with migraines, if you haven't tried Topamax you should give it a try.

November 7, 2011 12:55 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax has helped my life dramatically. I have had daily headaches for close to 20 years and I was always nervous that they would turn into a migraine, which was at least 3-4 times a month. Since I have started this medicine the headaches are gone! I am on 100mg daily and did stop taking it for about 2 weeks because I was busy. The headaches came back immediately just as bad as before the medicine and it took shots to get rid of them. I hopefully will not have to stop this medicine. I do get tingling every once in a while but it does not hurt or stop me from doing daily activities, it just surprises me. I do tell my doctor so he is able to keep track of them. Hopefully if this medicine does not work for people they can try something else.

November 5, 2011 11:39 AM

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax worked pretty well for my daily headaches/migraines. I was down to using 6 of the 9 Imitrex pills that I usually suffered the rest of the month needing more of before. It also helped my cravings for alcohol (former binge drinker) and sugar, significantly. Topamax works for so many things- but there were 2 side effects that I couldn't deal with- irritability and hair loss. I recently had the same experience with Keppra- minus the benefits of Topamax. I have gone through all the seizure medicines with minimal benefit and all have caused hair loss for me except Zonegran, which didn't help my headaches at all.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate