User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 65 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 287 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Topamax

For Bulimia "I had been bulimic, anorexic for 15 years. I tried in-patient/ out-patient programs in the best places in Toronto, Canada .. and I did each 3-4 times. When I started Topamax, I could attend lunches at work and can honestly say I haven't binged at work this year (I am a teacher). In previous years, I binged and purged, 3-4 times a day. I know socialize and have friends. I do admit though that the meds have made me very, very, tired. I sleep in until about 1 or 2 pm on the weekends which brothers me a lot but I think its a small price to pay for the huge changes I've made."

mkelly33 May 14, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them."

Zoe014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have felt great. No weight loss yet but I feel very good. I am taking it with sertraline. And so far it is the right medicine for me. "

great days ahead (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "Wow, what a roller coaster ride! Started on 25mg, no effect, then 50, 200 finally 400. It did stop the cluster headaches, but Extreme confusion, serious loss of hearing, forgetfulness, couldn't remember my phone number! My wife wouldn't let me drive at 400mg, I was dangerous, parking became very difficult, once I had to get out of the car and let her park. Frustrating and humiliating. In the end, I was down to 50mg a day, Doc said that wasn't causing any side effects at that low dose. WRONG! When I finally stopped, it took a couple of weeks to become me again. I was shocked at the difference it made being off of it. Some of my hearing came back thankfully. I did lose 30 pounds that did not come back."

RJinVegas May 4, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I've been taking Topamax for about 2 years now, 100 mg a day. I have severe chronic migraines due to my spinal cord. So my doctor put me on this medication. The only side effect I've had was the tingling but I get that anyways even before this medication so who knows if it was a side effect. But it works ok for me when I take it regularly but I also have focal seizures so this medication is for both of my problems. But I always take it with my hydrocodone so my migraines are fine."

mrs.thrompson (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2014

For Fibromyalgia "Took away 95% of my pain"

barbiedee (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect."

GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2014

For Bulimia "It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation."

a must have. March 27, 2014

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax."

Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A "

Bojomom March 16, 2014

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Topamax literally saved my life! I have been getting headaches often since I was 14 or so. They progressed to full blown migraines after my 3rd child (I was 28 in 2004)and increased from there. By 2008/2009 they had gotten so bad I was literally having paralysis on the left side of my face, could not keep my eyes open at all, severe vomiting. Once I had one there was no driving or I'd run off the road. Thankfully after getting no relief from several medications & including visits to the ER, ENT, and neurologist to try and figure out something... I was prescribed Topamax. Use 50mg a day with 2 Aleve & 500mg Magnesium. Pretty much wiped out my migraines. Got pretty much all the side effects...who cares? I'm not suffering everyday anymore. :)"

Nearly Migraine Free! February 10, 2014

For Seizure Prevention "When I first used Topamax it was for seizures but I had not been diagnosed with bipolar then it was thought to be depression. I lost 83 pounds but I stopped taking it because of the tingling in my hands and face, but after trying other medications years later I gained 123 pounds which I was devastated and plunged in a deep depression that I am still in after reading about again I know, I can live with the other things it seems minor to the darkness I have been living in I can't what to try it again after realizing its better than 99% of things I tried when I go to my appointment in two weeks. I'm excited for the first time in a long time to try it again."

Back to start... February 6, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I took Topamax as much as 300mg/day for 15 years and my last dose was 150mg at night. I recently changed to Lyrica which is also an anti-convulsant and am taking 100mg/day and find it more effective than Topamax without the memory and lost word problems. I discontinued Topamax because it slowly got to the point where I could not remember something for an hour. Topamax also was causing erectile dysfunction problems for the last 3 years. I do not have this problem with Lyrica. In the end I was getting 5 or more migraines a week and now get 2 or 3 a week and expect to increase Lyrica to 300mg/day."

mrhotel_ca (taken for 10 years or more) December 25, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "This medicine was great in taking care of seizures but I honestly felt like I was crazy most of the time. I lost weight which I was happy with but when it comes to the final review, I was a crazy, small person. I couldn't even call an order in on the phone because I couldn't think fast enough, I went back to my doctor and ask him to take me off this."

cademan123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2013

For Bulimia "I've tried Prozac and Effexor. I'm back on Topamax because it seems to be the only medicine that works for me. I never thought my bulimia would get this far, I'm 22 and I've been bulimic since I was 14. I'm done university, and it's been the hardest thing I've had to go through. I've had trouble finding a job and leading my life in the right direction...I wish this medication was sought out more for bulimia."

kaycp November 26, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous November 10, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have taken Topamax for about 5 years I take 100 mg in the morning 100 in the afternoon and 200 more mg at night I almost never have a migraine.I used to have one 4 out of 7 days a week. I don't have any side effects not even drowsiness."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I have been on Topamax now for 2 years. I reached a breaking point where I almost lost my job because I was calling out of work so much with 3-4 (sometimes 5) migraines a week. I was initially annoyed because I wanted it to work immediately, but I still had migraines. You have to titrate the dose up 25 mg a week. I initially went up to the recommended 100 mg, but I hated the "loss of words" feeling I had, and found that I had about 1-2 migraines a month. So I decided to go back to 75 mg and see what happened. I had less loss of words and finger tingling, and yet my amount of migraines stayed at 1-2/month. This has been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it."

Blondiechick (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was prescribed Topamax as a preventative migraine med. It was effective in significantly reducing migraine. However it gave me insanely severe sinus/hayfever symptoms. I couldn't leave the house because my nose was running like a tap. I was sneezing all the time and totally stuffed up. I got all the other usual digestive upset side effects, but I could live with those as they seemed to reduce as time went on whereas the sinus problems intensified."

Wombat Divine October 19, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I began taking Topamax about a year ago after suffering from weekly migraines since age 15. I increased the dose to 200mg a day before it seemed to be a therapeutic dose for me. My migraines reduced a lot for a long time but I also do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or eat chocolate, cheese. The last few weeks my migraines are back with great intensity. One lasted 4 days. So I will be going back to my doctor. Topamax did not affect my appetite at all. I get occasional tingling."

Danj515 October 6, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Love this medicine, no headaches."

tinafla444 September 29, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Your experiences helped me a lot. This is my 3rd day on Topamax at 25mg at bedtime and the only side effect I'm experiencing is nausea. I'm also looking forward to the weight loss! Would love to lose 15 pounds."

1217jess September 22, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "The side effects outweighed the Wonderful absence of migraines. I did not remember most things I was told. I couldn't remember words, was in a constant fog, hardly smiled or laughed anymore. After I get over these odd "withdrawal" symptoms all will be back to normal. "

comon' MOM ! Remember? (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I'm on day 4 of 50 mg of Topamax, and am supposed to up it to 100mg on the 7th day. I've not had a migraine but the side effects are draining me. I have headaches almost everyday and they usually turn into a migraine. But so far in the 4 days on Topamax I've only had to take one triptan and it worked ASAP. I hope I can hang in there. I'd like to lose some weight too!"

Sweaterpoo September 19, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "I was on Topamax for almost a month, but I had to stop because of the painfully tingly feet. It didn't do much for my pain overall either. I was also taking it to curb my appetite and for PMDD, but my appetite was the same or worse and it did nothing for the PMDD (might have actually made it worse!). We tried this because Geodon worked well for my PMDD but suddenly stopped working after 4 years (and gave me tardive dyskinesia)."

angziety (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2013