User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 257 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by pepper73: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: It took me a year to be diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia - and I had to go to a doctor in Vienna for this, because the doctors in Romania misdiagnosed me - but Topamax is the medicine that really saved my life. Literally! Because I was contemplating suicide, the pain was that bad and nothing else was working for me. I have lost a little weight in the first couple of months and I also have some trouble finding common words while speaking, but otherwise I did not experience any other side effects so far. My cholesterol level is now increasing - I am wondering if anyone is experiencing that as a possible side effect.

February 23, 2012 8:53 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Helped a lot with chronic migraines. I lost a lot of weight (I weighed 146 and I dropped down to 123 in two months). I ate less but I was still eating close to what I ate before being on the medicine. I think it must speed up your metobolism. I had some mood changes and I did have a little memory loss. I would forget words and things like that. I work with people so I noticed it more because people would point it out. My hands/feet tingled. I noticed less side effects when I took the medicine at night. I only take 50mg at night, that's all I ever have taken and it works for me. It does wonders for my migraines and it's worth the minor side effects. If you are a pop or beer drinker you will HATE it because it ruins carbonated beverages.

February 22, 2012 2:37 PM
Review by lazyfries85:

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: First off my dosage 200mg twice a day, 26 yo male. It's works, in fact the only anti-seizure medication that has worked for me. I have noticed weight loss of 15 to 20lbs under my natural weight (135 to 155 at 5'11") from being on the meds to off (but that could be lack of exercise). Other than that keeps me going in my daily life. Just don't miss too many.

February 21, 2012 12:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started getting migraines when I was about 12 years old. I had terrible migraines on and off for about 3 years. I finally went to the doctor and he put me on Topamax. I have been taking it for about a year now and the only time I get migraines is when I don't refill my prescription right away. Even though I get the occasional migraine, it is nothing compared to what it was before I started taking the medicine. Also, I have not noticed any side effects. Topamax is a miracle!

February 13, 2012 8:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: Started taking this about a month ago to level out my moods. I noticed difficulty focusing at first but it stopped. I'm also having tingling hands, feet, and face occasionally but with the way this medicine works it's worth it. Since I've been on it I'm like a new person, this medicine is a God send. Try it.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2012 1:45 AM

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: This is my magic migraine pill. I had migraine headaches 3-5 days a week, experienced intolerable side-effects from the Imitrex and had tried various other "triptans" and a tricyclic antidepressant before my doctor put me on this one 25mg 2x/day. I LOVE TOPAMAX! I have no headaches unless I am under undue stress. It regulated my sleep-patterns, reduced my anxiety significantly, and I lost about 10 pounds (best side-effect ever). Wouldn't give it up for anything.

February 9, 2012 10:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I had fewer migraines while on Topamax, but the side effects were HORRIBLE for me. I had tingly/numb fingers, brain fog and problems with word retrieval (not good for a teacher), plus it triggered depression-like side effects. The side effects were just not worth it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 9, 2012 9:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I took it for about 3 weeks with no improvement in symptoms whatsoever. Side effects included complete loss of appetite and rapid weight loss, mood swings, intense nausea, insomnia, hallucinations, memory problems and constant confusion. Everyone reacts differently I guess, but this was not the medicine for me.

January 19, 2012 6:41 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I started this medication for weight lose, bipolar, migraines. Seems like it may just be perfect...hopefully. I just finished my first week and lost 3 pounds! I workout 5-6 days a week but due to antidepressants making me gain so much weight, regardless of my diet and exercise I am fat. So today stepping on that scale and seeing 3 POUNDS LIGHGTER! I am a very moody person but the medicine seems to be making it right, moods seem to be very level. And haven't had one migraine! No side effects other than weight loss and loss of appetite..can't complain about that!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2012 11:51 PM
Review by ClusterPuck: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've read some mixed reviews about Topamax. Mine were awful, short-term memory loss, a state of "duhh", just horrible funcionality in general. I felt like I was getting dumber, plus no change in the migraines and cluster headaches. Any sufferer of these types of headaches knows what I mean when you feel that type of pain thrusting through the veins of one side of your head. Everything aches, even your teeth ache. Touching it hurts, leaving it alone hearts...everything hurts. Anyway, I had high hopes in Topamax but no results. I am now on Elavil and I swear it's a miracle. No headaches since.

December 20, 2011 2:10 PM
Review by efloyd105: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: Had cognitive thought and short term memory loss issues.

December 16, 2011 10:36 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have been taking 25MG of Topamax before bed daily for the prevention of my migraines with aura. Been taking it for almost 2 months. I haven't had an aura or a migraine since I started taking it. I love this medicine! Only side effect I have noticed so far is tingling in my feet sometimes, but so far not bad. The one thing that is bothersome about this medicine is that birth control bills are less effective and its recommended to use a different form of birth control. IUD is what I think I'm going to try.

November 18, 2011 9:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I am 31 yrs old and have fought migraines for 9 years. I took Topamax several years ago and decided I did not like side effects and wanted to try other medications. After trying MANY different medications and being sent from one doctor to another for daily chronic migraines that took over my life nothing was working. Recently I decided to give Topamax one more try. Within 2 weeks I have felt better than I have in two years. I still have small but manageable headaches and expect them to get better because I am slowly upping dose to 4/day. Good luck to all of you with migraines, if you haven't tried Topamax you should give it a try.

November 7, 2011 12:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Topamax has helped my life dramatically. I have had daily headaches for close to 20 years and I was always nervous that they would turn into a migraine, which was at least 3-4 times a month. Since I have started this medicine the headaches are gone! I am on 100mg daily and did stop taking it for about 2 weeks because I was busy. The headaches came back immediately just as bad as before the medicine and it took shots to get rid of them. I hopefully will not have to stop this medicine. I do get tingling every once in a while but it does not hurt or stop me from doing daily activities, it just surprises me. I do tell my doctor so he is able to keep track of them. Hopefully if this medicine does not work for people they can try something else.

November 5, 2011 11:39 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Topamax worked pretty well for my daily headaches/migraines. I was down to using 6 of the 9 Imitrex pills that I usually suffered the rest of the month needing more of before. It also helped my cravings for alcohol (former binge drinker) and sugar, significantly. Topamax works for so many things- but there were 2 side effects that I couldn't deal with- irritability and hair loss. I recently had the same experience with Keppra- minus the benefits of Topamax. I have gone through all the seizure medicines with minimal benefit and all have caused hair loss for me except Zonegran, which didn't help my headaches at all.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 20, 2011 8:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I like others have found a great medicine in Topamax. I am 45 and have had headaches/migraines since I was a kid. Been on it about 4 months and gone are the daily headaches, shooting head pains, and many days of debilitating migraines. I am just starting to lose weight. I have the head fog and the loss for words. My tongue tingling has gone and mostly I just have the "falling asleep" of my fingers and toes, which is annoying, but manageable. I am on 100mg a day. I am hoping that this will take me through menopause.

September 30, 2011 7:50 PM
Review by mommy_of_2: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: I have been battling my weight since I was pregnant with my first son, who just turned 2. I was 165 when I got pregnant with him, and on the day I went in to have my second son (who is 5 months old today) I weighed 270. I just took my first 25 mg dose of Topamax last night. I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper and can't even stand the taste. Not hungry either, so I'm hopeful that this medicine will work. I also take Celexa and Tenuate. I don't know if it's the combination, or just the Topamax, but I am feeling kind of "floaty" today, in a sense. Maybe this will improve with time.

September 15, 2011 2:10 PM
Review by kindofkitty: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Although it did work for reducing my migraines, I found that the side effects outweighed the treatment. I had almost all of the side effects mentioned: confusion, irritability, diarrhea, tingling hands and feet, vision changes, loss of appetite and weight, change in sex drive and worst of all hives. The people around me were glad I stopped taking it, as it made me act differently than I would normally.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 14, 2011 6:08 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: Definitely takes away my hunger.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 12, 2011 11:16 PM
Review by grgharhy: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I'm 18 years old and was put on Topamax for headaches at 16. In the beginning, I was put on 2 x 25mg per day, then increased to 2 x 25mg in the morning, and 2 x 25 mgs at night. After reading everyone's reviews I think I was put on way too much. I weighed about 125 and I got down to 108! I thought I looked great although many people said I looked too skinny. The con is that it made me feel very slow and I couldn't concentrate well. As I started to ween myself off of it, the headaches went away. I now weigh 135 and gained about 30 lbs since being off of it. I am considering going back on to lose weight.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 12, 2011 8:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from migraines for about 14 years. Took Topamax for 8 weeks. At 100mg a day I was having moderate headaches every single day, but no migraines. BUT the side effects were just too much: terrible anxiety, irritability, diarrhea, complete brain fog, intense tingling in fingers, numbness in feet, extreme sensitivity to cold, very frequent urination, changes in taste leading to disinterest in food. I also would not recommend this medication if you are also on birth control pills to alleviate menstrual cramps. That was one of the worst side effects for me - daily cramps for over 3 weeks. If it weren't for that and the anxiety, I may have tried to wait it out.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 6, 2011 5:20 PM
Review by annie2belle: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I have taken Topamax for bipolar twice. First for three years then now for a year. Do not know why I ever went off! This has been great for me after 25 years on lithium which was like living under 4 wet wool blankets. I also tried Depakote which only increased the weight gain and depression. At first, the side effects were a bit rough even at the initial very low dose of 25 mg. Very sleepy and tingly of hands and feet. BUT they pass, they really do. It may take a week of just being exhausted even when you increase your dose. The appetite depressant is wonderful. Also cuts down on general anxiety. Takes the real edge off the hypomania. I have not had any of the problems with finding words, etc.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 6, 2011 9:23 AM
Review by scorpio02: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I saw no benefits.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 29, 2011 6:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: This medication made me very anxious and caused panic attacks.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 15, 2011 9:06 PM
Review by linl: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started Topamax in 2005. Doctor said he was going to kill three birds with one stone; migraines, fibromyalgia, and weight. Started on 25mg a day for the first week, 50 the next, then 75 and at a month I was at 100mg. Every week I had different side effects. I would talk funny, not be able to walk, tingly feeling in my extremities, and soda started tasting DISGUSTING! By the end of two months most of the side effects had gone. A few things to mention though; you WILL be thirsty all the time; my suggestion is to carry a bottle of water with you at ALL times. You will NOT sweat; make sure you keep cool. And I lost 76lbs in 6 mo! Looking better than ever, and kept it off for 6 years now! Good luck to you all, stick to it and it will work for you.

August 12, 2011 9:34 AM