User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 66 medications Not rated - Be the first
Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 319 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "I was prescribed Topamax as a preventative migraine med. It was effective in significantly reducing migraine. However it gave me insanely severe sinus/hayfever symptoms. I couldn't leave the house because my nose was running like a tap. I was sneezing all the time and totally stuffed up. I got all the other usual digestive upset side effects, but I could live with those as they seemed to reduce as time went on whereas the sinus problems intensified."

Wombat Divine October 19, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I began taking Topamax about a year ago after suffering from weekly migraines since age 15. I increased the dose to 200mg a day before it seemed to be a therapeutic dose for me. My migraines reduced a lot for a long time but I also do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or eat chocolate, cheese. The last few weeks my migraines are back with great intensity. One lasted 4 days. So I will be going back to my doctor. Topamax did not affect my appetite at all. I get occasional tingling."

Danj515 October 6, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Love this medicine, no headaches."

tinafla444 September 29, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Your experiences helped me a lot. This is my 3rd day on Topamax at 25mg at bedtime and the only side effect I'm experiencing is nausea. I'm also looking forward to the weight loss! Would love to lose 15 pounds."

1217jess September 22, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "The side effects outweighed the Wonderful absence of migraines. I did not remember most things I was told. I couldn't remember words, was in a constant fog, hardly smiled or laughed anymore. After I get over these odd "withdrawal" symptoms all will be back to normal. "

comon' MOM ! Remember? (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I'm on day 4 of 50 mg of Topamax, and am supposed to up it to 100mg on the 7th day. I've not had a migraine but the side effects are draining me. I have headaches almost everyday and they usually turn into a migraine. But so far in the 4 days on Topamax I've only had to take one triptan and it worked ASAP. I hope I can hang in there. I'd like to lose some weight too!"

Sweaterpoo September 19, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "I was on Topamax for almost a month, but I had to stop because of the painfully tingly feet. It didn't do much for my pain overall either. I was also taking it to curb my appetite and for PMDD, but my appetite was the same or worse and it did nothing for the PMDD (might have actually made it worse!). We tried this because Geodon worked well for my PMDD but suddenly stopped working after 4 years (and gave me tardive dyskinesia)."

angziety (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "Helps with sleep and weight loss"

Holycats7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "My migraines are primarily abdominal, but I get daily 'tension" type headaches as well. But my nausea "attacks" are totally debilitating and the headaches get more so every day. I took Topamax starting at 25 mgs then increased. I noticed it really helping my symptoms, way less nausea, headaches stopped and I could sleep well. Unfortunately, I am one of the people who react with a rare side effect of an acute onset closed angle glaucoma attack and my vision got very blurry and got so bad I could not see anything but blobs if it was more that 12 inches from my face. If you get blurred vision go to the ER and show them the letter from the Topamax website, because ER had never heard of that reaction. I gave it a 5 because it worked until then."

thisisendless August 8, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "At first this medication impaired my ability to drive a lot. My depth perception was way off making it very dangerous for me to be on the road, over time I did notice my migraines were less often and sometimes I would get all the symptoms of a migraine (light sensitivity, nausea) but no pain, kind of like a ghost migraine, which was weird and inconvenient. For the most part I think this medication is worth a try. I am currently on 25mg."

Larissa555 July 31, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I have been on Topamax for 13 years now and cannot live without it. Before the doctor prescribed it for me I was in the hospital at least 4 times a year for 2 to 3 days. I have not even been to the emergency room for a shot since I have stared taking it. I take 50 mg morning & 50 mg at night. I did not lose many pounds and the side effects did not bother me at all. I would suggest anyone with severe migraines to give Topamax a few months before giving up on it."

Lorrie Louise July 29, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "This is for the Newbies out there. I started this medication when I was 15. Had my first seizure few days before before my 15th birthday. The first side effect you will experience is sleepiness, don't fight it. Let your body get a nap between 1-3, which I found to be the best time. I sleep for 1 hour and still can fall asleep at night. I am 21 now. Some advice to you, whenever you don't feel like eating I found that sweet tea gets me hungry, find that X factor in you. The weight loss is insane. I lost 40 pounds in 6 months just by breathing. Now, sleep patterns are important. If an average person needs 8 hours you and I need 9-10 MINIMUM also try to take the dose at the same time every day, you will fall asleep faster. Hang out to see sunrise."

rogi (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Emotional problems, runny nose, etc. Without much relief."

Chris147 July 17, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I was prepared for the basic side effects: Carbonated beverages not tasting right, and also some loss of appetite. I was put on 100mg from the get go. I also had the fairly common side effect of just feeling confused, though this wasn't all that severe and I was still able to do well in school. I also experienced tingling in my hands and feet, and though this was irritating, it was bearable. The real kicker for why I quit taking this medicine was when I began to have what felt like panic attacks and severe confusion, along with elevated heartbeat and dizziness. Also my fingers would move on their own and seem to get stuck sticking straight out and I had no control over it. "

RomancePants (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I went from 1 or 2 migraines a year to about 9 a month. After a year or so of this my doctor had me try Topamax. I've been on 25 mg., once a day, for the past three weeks and I'm very happy with it. I've only had the beginnings of 3 migraines (immediately took my Relpax) and they went immediately away. I feel like I've got my life back. My only side effects are a slight loss of appetite (which I'm not unhappy about) and a little tingling in my feet. Well worth it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I originally started on Topamax for Migraines and found it to be a 10 for that. I went from 4-5 monthly to maybe 2-3 per year. Life changing! It was difficult for my body to adapt to at first and I had to build up VERY slowly using 12.5mg for a few weeks in the morning and then adding an evening dose, etc. It made me feel horrible, tired, breathless, out of sorts and dopey overall but over time all that wore off and in addition to the absence of migraines I enjoyed a more even keel mood, more control over my decision making including less desire for alcohol. This made staying sober easier than at previous attempts. I also struggled less with eating issues. I've had to increase over time and take breaks/restart to manage the dosage amount vs tolerance."

CaliHeart June 26, 2013

For Obesity "I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!"

Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2013

357 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have always had chronic, severe migraine, often for 15 days or more of each month. Topamax has helped, but I tend to develop a resistance, so when I started getting resistant to Topomax I came off & have not been on anything. 15 days ago I started having severe vertigo, now diagnosed as vitigenous migraine (a new twist on my migraines) and am back on Topamax. I immediately noticed a severe drop in my libido. I don't remember it from previous times. Of course, being dizzy for 2 weeks may also be killing my sex-drive!"

Nat migraine May 18, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Female. 19. I had sinus surgery then started getting headaches after surgery because of nerve damage. I was taking 25mg once every night for a week and every next week would up the dose. My experience was awful! I had the usual side affects people had- tingling in lips/hands, and weight loss. Main one for me was, I was so extremely fatigued and weak. I'm a young healthy girl who eats healthy, is a healthy weight, and before my surgery worked out 4 X a week. I would have physically to force myself out of bed. And as far as the headaches it reduced the intensity of the migraines, but did nothing for the frequency. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "My current dosage is 100mg daily. I started at 113 pounds, today I weigh 100 pounds due to Topamax. Yes, I agree with everyone in the beginning the side effects were the worst. However, my doctor warned me that I would not feel relief until I reached my full dosage and my body adjusted to it, which was about 12 weeks. And I did see a difference. Before Topamax, migraines controlled my life, I had roughly 15 a month. With the Topamax I rarely have a severe migraine at all. Typically I just get 5-7 headaches a month which is a big difference. Yes, sometimes I forget my train of thought or tingly in my feet. However, those side effects beat the alternative to 50% of my life being controlled by severe migraines."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I have now been on Topamax for about 6 years now and in all that time I can honestly say I have only had bad head ache and no migraine at all and the only reason started the medication is I had meningitis in 1993 and one of the long term side effects of this is migraines for life so Topamax has been a lifesaver for me."

Paul height (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I've been taking Topamax for over 3 years and the only side effect I experienced was an initial weight loss of about 15lbs. If there was any cognitive difficulty, memory loss, difficulty remembering words, etc., I didn't notice, as it was worse when I was experiencing a migraine. Before taking Topamax I would have a headache for months, with no relief. After I started taking Topamax the migraines were down to 3 month. My Dr. started me on a dose of 25mg, 2 X day and titrated me to 100mg 2 X day. Unfortunately, the Topamax no longer seems to be effective and on my next visit I will ask my Dr. to either increase the dosage or to prescribe a different medicine. Also, I have to agree with another post I saw, I am always freezing!"

PurpleLady May 7, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "I was put on Topamax 2 months ago after a serious car accident that left me in a flare up of my fibromyalgia. I have not reacted well to medications in the past and have had serious reactions which lead to serious consequences to the other meds I was on. Topamax has been the only medication that I have been able to tolerate well. It does take a while for it to start working though and I have had a few side effects but none that I'm not willing to put up with and 2 of them have gone away since I have started the Topamax."

tinkerbell420 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2013

For Obesity "Losing 10lbs plus per month."

Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2013

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome "I have Tourette's Syndrome and ADHD. Tried different kinds of medicines for my TS. Depending on my day, I could have some to a lot of tics. Topamax did wonders for my tics, but it can have side effects that are similar to ADHD symptoms - different remembering some words/names when asked, unable to concentrate, etc. I also experienced that my thought-pattern were kind of limited to a certain degree, as I would sometimes have difficulties thinking further ahead. This medicine however, was much better than other kinds I've tried. "

SteffenG April 10, 2013