User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 292 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by adoptionsworker:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have had a good experience after trying to find the right cocktail for several years. I have a very high-stress job and my anxiety is put to the test daily. It is not clinically significant at this point and I can only attribute that to finally having my medicines right. I am taking Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Topamax and Zoloft at pretty low dosages for each. I did lose about 70 pounds. After over a year on the Topamax, my normal appetite has started to return and I have gained back about 10 pounds, but I still have self control that I lacked when I was fighting depression which is now at bay.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2013 6:05 PM

Review by KimberBR:

For Bipolar Disorder: Stabilizing when used with Lamictal and Lexapro.

February 10, 2013 4:46 PM

Review by Rosbud (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax since Monday, February 4th, 2013. I have a history of migraines and lately have been having just bad headaches everyday. I am taking 25mg a day and it has really helped. I have had no side effects except lack of interest in eating. I have lost 3 lbs this week. I look forward to no headaches and will watch the weight loss but I can stand to lose a few pounds at this point.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by RoseQ:

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax has significantly reduced my migraines from 1 a month to 1 every 18 months. I have also found that it helps you - to not over eat or drink alcohol. I am very happy being on Topamax for all these reasons. I initially did have tingly feet, a small price to pay, but rarely get that sympton now. I am on 50 mg a day.

February 3, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Cissy<3Oso:

For Migraine Prevention: Took my first dose of 25mg on a Wednesday evening, that Thursday morning I woke up with nausea and diarrhea that only became more severe as the day went on. Had to leave work due to the severe nausea. Went to sleep around 2 p.m. and didn't wake up until 1 p.m. Friday. The only benefits I can say I had were the loss of weight (159lbs at appointment on Thursday/ 155.5lbs on Sunday) and I was able to quit smoking as I didn't have the urge to.

January 30, 2013 11:00 AM

Review by Anna1949:

For Migraine Prevention: I am a retired teacher with a long history of migraines. Because of a heart condition, there were many medications I could not take. I suffered through many days taking mostly over the counter medicines. I was put on Topamax 10 months ago. At 100 mg a day, I was so stupid I could never have run a classroom. I could not do simple math problems or remember the names of streets nearby my home. The huge relief of not having migraines made it almost worth it. After all, I was now retired and did not have to be as sharp as I once was. It was a tough decision . My family was frustrated too with my huge brain fog. I also had the tingling and taste changes but they are easy to adjust to. I recently weaned myself down to 50mg a day and its working well.

January 29, 2013 11:40 AM

Review by Maluscaper (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I am currently taking it for intense migranes. It is the only thing that I have found that has helped. I do have breakthrough migraines but the medication does keep the majority of them at bay. I do get many of the side effects. I get the tingling in the hands and feet. I occasionally get tingling on my tongue and a weird burning/taste when I drink soda. I get a slight dizziness when I first take it. I am more sensitive to cold and I get diarrhea. All of these side effects I can either live with or treat and are worth the freedom of the migraines. If you live with migraines everyday your willing to put up with a lot of side effects just to be pain free for a while. This medication is totally worth it.

January 28, 2013 10:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I took Topamax for 2 months until I finally threw in the towel and could take no more. It did stop the migraines but the other side effects were horrible. I did have the tingling in my hands, feet, and lips and food did taste way different. I was so depressed I could barely even get out of the bed. I actually GAINED about 5 lbs. while I notice most everyone else lost weight. I cried everyday for a week straight and I'm not like that. My house was a wreck and I could barely help my son with his homework.

January 25, 2013 5:53 PM

Review by chaotic-life (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Over the edge..best thing ever!

January 22, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax in January of 2012 for migraines, I was getting one a day. I did experience the brain fog at first, but I found that after about a month or two, I was mostly back to normal. I have experienced the weight loss and loss of appetite, and I'm also lactose intolerant, so I'm trying to work on eating a healthy amount. I have found that drinking a lot of water really helps with the tingly feeling in my feet and hands!

November 28, 2012 10:18 AM

Review by tnl3 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizure Prevention: Confusion, forget, tingling, lights in the corner of eye shining, drops of water dripping on head at times, but the weight loss was good, but its not worth it for me.

November 15, 2012 12:26 PM

Review by Sweet-P (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Began Topamax in 2005 after suffering from migraines that would last for weeks. The litany of side effects is true, and its nickname, "Stupamax" is honestly earned. Word recall, memory, trouble focusing, hand numbness, fatigue, insomnia, the works. But number of days with headaches went from 21 to 9 the very first month. Now, after years of taking it, my body has been depleted of vitamin B12, and I have been suffering from horrible GI troubles. However, none of my doctors seemed to link Topamax to the B12 depletion. It took Google to figure that one out. But thank you to Google and B12 supplements. I hope this helps someone else relieve any issues they've been experiencing.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2012 1:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Topamax for about a year now. I started at 25 mg twice a day and I currently take 100 mg twice a day. IT IS WONDERFUL. I have had only 2-3 migraines since my Dr upped my dosage 3 months ago. I still get "regular" headaches 4-5 times a day but I can handle those. I was gearing 5--6 migraines a week before Topamax. The side effects are all there but I don't care as long as the migraine pain stays away.

October 3, 2012 6:52 PM

For Seizure Prevention: I liked Topamax because I never worried about having a seizure. I obtained complete control and the added benefit of helping the migraines, however the MD discontinued it after I had personality changes, severe weight loss and acidosis.

October 2, 2012 1:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Didn't like initial side effects. Reduced migraines by at least 50-75%

October 1, 2012 7:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Helped migraine and daily headache, however gave suicidal thoughts so discontinued.

September 2, 2012 3:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I love Topamax. I can only take the minimal dosage or else I will get the tingling and start to feel a little out of it. I was suffering from silent migraines for over a year and a half. Nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, light headedness, fatigue, upset stomach and daily headaches but the headaches could be cured with ibuprofen. Of course, it took a while to figure out that these symptoms were all caused by migraines but they were and after taking Topamax for 2 weeks I stopped having silent migraines. I even went off of it after about 3 months of being on it, just to see if my body had possibly regulated itself, but it had not. I was sick again in no time. It was horrible. It took about 2 weeks for the Topamax to kick back in.

August 26, 2012 9:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Topamax for 12 years as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 1 disorder. It is a GREAT mood stabilizer and I used to be quite heavy and I lost 100 pounds in around 6 months (yes you read that right!). The bad part was HORRIBLE side effects. Constant itching in the summer. I developed a 9mm kidney stone when I had no prior history. I developed a blood disorder (something acidosis, was told this was a rare side effect, but that was why I stopped taking it. However, if I could go back in time would I still take it? You bet! One of the best mood stabilizers I've ever been on. Just make sure you EAT when taking it, it makes you not want to eat.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2012 9:51 AM

Review by Kryskay (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax for about 2 years now. I am very thankful that my neurologist finally prescribed it for me. I have had my share of side effects for sure. I still cannot eat a hamburger or steak because any kind of red meat tastes funny now. I'm ok with that. At first carbonated sodas tasted flat so I stopped drinking them, but I found the trick to overcoming that one. If I drink them fast I get the carbonated sensation. I still do not drink very many though. Over time the tingling in my hands and face subsided. The one side effect that bothers me the most is my intolerance to heat. If I get just the least bit over heated I will faint. I will even faint from a hot shower. But I do not have near as many migraines.

July 25, 2012 5:32 PM

Review by Dopamax (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I took this medicine off and on for years. And I can honestly say it has helped my migraines tremendously. I suffer from migraines with the aura, and while off Topamax they come in weekly clusters. About once every couple of months I will have a week from hell. On Topamax I have one attack every couple of months. BUT, the side effects are unbearable.

July 24, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by FortyFour (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizure Prevention: I was prescribed this medicine to treat my petite mal seizures. I was never warned of any potential side-effects, and never thought to ask, seeing as I had never taken a medicine before. After I began taking this, my seizures graduated to full out grand mal seizures. I couldn't speak, I couldn't understand others' speech, and I couldn't sleep more than a few hours most nights. Everything came to a heads about four months after I began taking the medicine, when I couldn't remember how to say "Bye" to my dad. I would have rather had seizures EVERY day than stay on Topamax! I got off of the medicine, and am now on Lamictal, under which I haven't had any seizures or side-effects in the two years I've been taking it.

June 20, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by JH in Maryland (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist added Topamax to my tricyclic and beta-blocker in hopes that it would control my vestibular migraines (total balance loss). It failed completely, but its side effects included immediate impotence, decreased libido, and substantial difficulty finding words. My vocabulary for 3 syllable words dropped 50%. I sounded drunk.

June 19, 2012 5:02 PM

Review by Cnovello (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist was right. The trick is starting dose low and building up a week at a time, letting your body get used to it. I'm up to 75mg and holding.

May 26, 2012 1:10 AM

For Fibromyalgia: WEIGHT LOSS GREAT but hair loss is not worth it

May 20, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by KTD7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Unfortunately, I got more headaches while I was on Topamax. They increased from once a week to several a week. I'm sure I'm an exception to the rule, but one size does not fit all.

May 9, 2012 12:08 PM