User Reviews for Valproic acid

Also known as: Depacon, Depakene, Stavzor, Valproate Sodium

Learn more about Valproic acid.

Mania 2 reviews 14 medications

Cluster-Tic Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperekplexia 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Valproic acid reviews 18 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Valproic acid

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizures: "I was on this for 4 1/2 years, right up to a very high dose. I got the side effect of constantly feeling hungry yet never feeling full, no matter how much I ate. That immediately caused me to gain 10 lbs. a month for 6 months: 60 pounds! It also gave me the side effects of major depression and a generally unpleasant mood overall. It was of the usual average effectiveness in controlling my seizures, which began due to neurological brain damage in a traffic accident. Note: This medication is highlyY dangerous to pregnant women. It will cause permanent damage to their fetus."

SensiblePi July 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Hemiplegic Migraines cause a severe aura with ataxia that leave one side of my body paralyzed. Valproic Acid & Magnesium Sulfate are the one thing that will counteract it every time!"

MeyerAD (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2014

For Mania: "Bipolar I, I never went manic except during extreme stress, impending death of a family member, when I was under so much stress that I could not remember if I had taken my medication. I have never been one to abandon medication because I "missed" the high. The only other hospitalization was when a rural local 'doctoe in a box' prescribed Prednisone, despite the fact it is contraindicated for Bipolar and that I listed that I was Bipolar on intake sheet. That resulted in an 11 day hospitalisation to get my medications straight. In 2005 changed to Valproic Acid. I did have a manic episode requiring hospitalization prior to my brother's death in 2007. Since then I have had no problems, except low level depression, which I call being 'flat'."

LLG (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Brilliant. After 40 years of bouncing from one medicine to another, this was my answer. It gave me the control of my own emotions, not fully, but enough. I'm on a high dose, but the best thing of all is it just one medication. Nausea yes was there, but I found it worth pushing through."

farexinian January 7, 2014

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: "Appreciated what this medicine has done for me. I'm on a pretty high dose and haven't experienced any of the symptoms of nausea or anything like that except right in the very beginning and that quickly wore off."

tkdmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "53 yrs old. Coming on for approximately 6 months I couldn't think or remember anything. Stayed in bed for days (retired). My face would grimace. Hands and feet would just "have" to move trying to "make the feeling stop". Relatives said I was avoiding answering direct questions. I was scaring myself, went to doc. Already on an anti-depressant, he added valproic acid 250 mg 2x a day. Worked perfectly for 13 days, then stopped. Went back in and he said just hang in there. After another 10 days, it started working again. Every once in awhile "it" comes back, so I take a pill maybe a bit early. Stayed on 3 a day. It has been a miracle for me. Today, I took apart my ceiling fan that had been broken for 2 years and wasn't afraid to do so. "

I'm better now August 22, 2013

Depakene (valproic acid) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Effective for mood symptoms when at therapeutic level."

gertie67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hullicanation's, depression, mania, aggression."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2012

Stavzor (valproic acid) for Mania: "This medicine is expensive, but it works. My son started taking this 4 weeks ago. He has experienced no side effects and it is working like magic on his mania."

RubyL February 23, 2012

Depakene (valproic acid) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "After trying about 10 different medicines this one has been the best."

cottonkandie October 9, 2011

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: "My Doctor prescribed me this medication and on the first night I took it I had bad nausea. I told my doctor about it and decided to give it another chance a few days later. The second time it caused nausea, heartburn and left an acid feel in my mouth so I don't know if it works for other people but the side effects weren't worth it. "

cautiousgirl_87 July 6, 2011

For Seizures: "Depakote sprinkles is the formula my son was taking. It was an almost too good to be true solution for him for over 20 years. For those 20 years he experienced the following manageable side effects; weight gain, periodic hand tremors, constipation. It also gave him a much deserved good 'feeling'. After that his seizures broke through and other side effects appeared such as hair loss, skin issues and more severe constipation. We'll miss Depakote."

Lynnrx52 July 1, 2010

For Bipolar Disorder: "I use Valproate Sodium for manic episodes I believe. I take 4 tablets per day. The main problem is weight fluctuation - expect a great increase! - and fatigue. If you forget to take the pills, you find a whole host of problems which is also awful but on the whole it works well."

arianelakyahoo.com December 1, 2009

For Seizures: "Very effective medication while I was on it, I did switch to Keppra though due to some side effects. It made my hands shaky and weak."

Lizardoli November 3, 2009

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizure Prevention: "The side effects of this drug were so harsh I didn't stick around for its alleged benefits, i.e. seizure prevention. "

Rx2009 October 27, 2009

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was prescribed this to stabilize mood swings. Tended toward depressive episodes while on this medication with severe side effects such as feeling faint when walking, going up stairs etc, unable to sleep, nausea, foggy mind, unable to think of words, constantly dropping things, heart palpitations, very dry eyes and anxiety."

rwal103 September 29, 2009

For Migraine Prevention: "Yes, it does help with migraines greatly. "

rj6500 November 9, 2008

For Seizure Prevention: "I have been on Depakote ER for 6 years now and although it has not controlled my seizures it has definitly decreased them."

SeizuresSinceSix October 24, 2008