User Reviews for Valproic acid

Also known as: Depacon, Depakene, Stavzor

Learn more about Valproic acid.

Mania 2 reviews 14 medications

Hyperekplexia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Valproic acid reviews 16 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Valproic acid

Review by LLG (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

valproic acid for Mania: Bipolar I, I never went manic except during extreme stress, impending death of a family member, when I was under so much stress that I could not remember if I had taken my medication. I have never been one to abandon medication because I "missed" the high. The only other hospitalization was when a rural local 'doctoe in a box' prescribed Prednisone, despite the fact it is contraindicated for Bipolar and that I listed that I was Bipolar on intake sheet. That resulted in an 11 day hospitalisation to get my medications straight. In 2005 changed to Valproic Acid. I did have a manic episode requiring hospitalization prior to my brother's death in 2007. Since then I have had no problems, except low level depression, which I call being 'flat'.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 12:22 PM
Review by farexinian: User Rating:

valproic acid for Bipolar Disorder: Brilliant. After 40 years of bouncing from one medicine to another, this was my answer. It gave me the control of my own emotions, not fully, but enough. I'm on a high dose, but the best thing of all is it just one medication. Nausea yes was there, but I found it worth pushing through.

January 7, 2014 10:19 PM
Review by tkdmom (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: Appreciated what this medicine has done for me. I'm on a pretty high dose and haven't experienced any of the symptoms of nausea or anything like that except right in the very beginning and that quickly wore off.

October 5, 2013 12:13 AM
Review by I'm better now: User Rating:

valproic acid for Bipolar Disorder: 53 yrs old. Coming on for approximately 6 months I couldn't think or remember anything. Stayed in bed for days (retired). My face would grimace. Hands and feet would just "have" to move trying to "make the feeling stop". Relatives said I was avoiding answering direct questions. I was scaring myself, went to doc. Already on an anti-depressant, he added valproic acid 250 mg 2x a day. Worked perfectly for 13 days, then stopped. Went back in and he said just hang in there. After another 10 days, it started working again. Every once in awhile "it" comes back, so I take a pill maybe a bit early. Stayed on 3 a day. It has been a miracle for me. Today, I took apart my ceiling fan that had been broken for 2 years and wasn't afraid to do so.

August 22, 2013 2:34 AM
Review by gertie67 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Depakene (valproic acid) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Effective for mood symptoms when at therapeutic level.

March 24, 2013 11:35 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

valproic acid for Bipolar Disorder: Hullicanation's, depression, mania, aggression.

August 11, 2012 11:59 PM
Review by RubyL: User Rating:

Stavzor (valproic acid) for Mania: This medicine is expensive, but it works. My son started taking this 4 weeks ago. He has experienced no side effects and it is working like magic on his mania.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2012 7:25 PM
Review by cottonkandie: User Rating:

Depakene (valproic acid) for Schizoaffective Disorder: After trying about 10 different medicines this one has been the best.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 9, 2011 3:57 PM
Review by cautiousgirl_87: User Rating:

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: My Doctor prescribed me this medication and on the first night I took it I had bad nausea. I told my doctor about it and decided to give it another chance a few days later. The second time it caused nausea, heartburn and left an acid feel in my mouth so I don't know if it works for other people but the side effects weren't worth it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 6, 2011 4:22 AM
Review by Lynnrx52: User Rating:

valproic acid for Seizures: Depakote sprinkles is the formula my son was taking. It was an almost too good to be true solution for him for over 20 years. For those 20 years he experienced the following manageable side effects; weight gain, periodic hand tremors, constipation. It also gave him a much deserved good 'feeling'. After that his seizures broke through and other side effects appeared such as hair loss, skin issues and more severe constipation. We'll miss Depakote.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 1, 2010 4:13 PM
Review by arianelakyahoo.com: User Rating:

valproic acid for Bipolar Disorder: I use Valproate Sodium for manic episodes I believe. I take 4 tablets per day. The main problem is weight fluctuation - expect a great increase! - and fatigue. If you forget to take the pills, you find a whole host of problems which is also awful but on the whole it works well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2009 12:29 PM
Review by Lizardoli: User Rating:

valproic acid for Seizures: Very effective medication while I was on it, I did switch to Keppra though due to some side effects. It made my hands shaky and weak.

November 3, 2009 5:19 PM
Review by Rx2009: User Rating:

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizure Prevention: The side effects of this drug were so harsh I didn't stick around for its alleged benefits, i.e. seizure prevention.

October 27, 2009 2:11 AM
Review by rwal103: User Rating:

valproic acid for Bipolar Disorder: Was prescribed this to stabilize mood swings. Tended toward depressive episodes while on this medication with severe side effects such as feeling faint when walking, going up stairs etc, unable to sleep, nausea, foggy mind, unable to think of words, constantly dropping things, heart palpitations, very dry eyes and anxiety.

September 29, 2009 2:45 AM
Review by rj6500: User Rating:

valproic acid for Migraine Prevention: Yes, it does help with migraines greatly.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2008 10:27 AM
Review by SeizuresSinceSix: User Rating:

valproic acid for Seizure Prevention: I have been on Depakote ER for 6 years now and although it has not controlled my seizures it has definitly decreased them.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate