User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 326 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "I didn't use it long enough to see if it would prevent my monthly migraine but I wanted to share the side effects I experienced. I started with 25 milligrams twice a day for 7 days and felt ok but did experience some tingling in my feet and fingers. Then I increased to 50 milligrams twice a day per doctor's order and things really changed. I started having the craziest dreams every night. Tingling was very pronounced every day in feet and hands. I couldn't get out of bed easily. I felt very lethargic and really like a zombie. I kind of had a flat affect and felt very robotic at times. Other times I was very depressed and irritable or even angry. I stopped taking it. Also was hungry all the time. That was not normal for me at all."

DDIndiana (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I am taking 25mg in morning. Working up to 100mg over few weeks going up 25mg every 2weeks, iv only been taking it 4days and tbh only thing I've noticed was first day felt rough but since I've felt the odd nausea no other side effects, maybe because I've been so busy haven't noticed them, I'm actually lookin forward to upping dosage, I want to prevent migraines I dunno why I didn't go get help sooner I've suffered for years, but to me being overweight I'm also hoping itl help with the weightloss I've been struggling to lose for over 4yrs I'm fit and healthy and regular exercise and healthy eater yet can't shift so hoping this helps"

clog April 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I take 25mg in the morning and 50 at night. Within the first two weeks of taking it, I tried to commit suicide, I was fighting major depression at the time too. By week four the feeling went away. Took 2-3 months for the fingers and toes to stop tingling but I had that in the toes any ways from nerve damage in the back. They increased my evening dose and within two weeks again I tried to commit suicide again. This time twice in one week and within a month I stabilized again. My doctor will not raise it anymore even though I just begged her to, it's only day 7-21 that I need to be watched and the last time, I called my sister to take me to the hospital the second attempt.I didn't lose weight on it."

lunarminx (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "This is the worst drug I've ever taken. It gave me horrible tremors, anxiety, & a guilt complex."

464168281 March 11, 2016

For Obesity "I suffer from migraines and also am overweight. So the Dr prescribed me topamax for both. I weighed in at 209 on Feb 2 2016 and today Feb 12 2016 I am 203. So far so good with the weight loss. I'm not to pleased with the side affects however. I feel fuzzy all day. Like I'm on a cloud, Dizzy. Tingling and nubness in my fingers and toes. Hasn't helped my migraines at all either. It does though not make me hungry at all. I have to force myself to eat because I know I have too. I don't see myself taking this medication long term. I'd rather try and lose the weight naturally. Not worth all the side affects"

RachelLp February 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "It lessened the frequency of my migraines. But the side effects are not worth the relief it provided. It turned me into a zombie. I didn't care about anything. I couldn't even taste my food! And the worst part was it robbed me of my ability to be alarmed by the growing severity of my depression and other serious symptoms. After three months, I was GLAD to detox. 4 days clean and I can almost taste sugar again. Can't wait til the brain fog lifts."

Sheryl M. February 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "Horrible medication with tons of side effects. I have tried this stuff twice over a 15 year period and this time was much worse....all the side effects listed I got to experience within two weeks of taking this drug with slow introduction. And I still got migraines even while taking it...and now I have to take eye medication on top of wheezing, felt like puking, dizzy, edgy and wanting to kill myself. Throw this one in the waste basket and try the alternatives before touching this stuff."

Hutch77 February 7, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "This medicine gave me a kidney stone. They don't run in my family and I have never had one before. The kidney stone got stuck and after several of the most painful weeks of my life thus far I had to have surgery to get it removed. I would gladly suffer from migraines then to ever experience a kidney stone."

annette7878 January 23, 2016

For Obesity "I have been obese my whole life. I have struggled with diets and exercise and eating and starving. I have gone as far as having weight loss surgery. EVERYTHING has only been temporary. My new doctor has recommended Topamax. I currently weigh 282.6. I have started out on 25 in the morning and 25 at night. In 1 month I will go in for my follow up. Has anyone else tried everything else and completely fail? My doctor says it could be my genetic makeup. But anyway I plan on keeping a record on here of my journey for myself and others to follow. Thank you for your support."

AmandaRaeKrause January 14, 2016

For Smoking Cessation "Horrific experience! It was working, but had to stop to protect sanity. Side effects were SO AWFUL, that I give it a "2" rating, despite effectiveness of quitting, a "9". Piece of cake to reduce by half, in a matter of days, with zero effort. 46 year smoker. Had to stop before ever reached full dosage. Almost went to ER, to have myself admitted for psych treatment. (Also lost 20lbs., in one month, with no effort.) Trust me - I would have loved to have stayed on it. Some effects - mild paranoia, visual and auditory hallucinations, cry at drop if a hat, intense sense of insecurity, inadequacy, fear of loss of self-control. 3 months later, still smoking about 25% less and 10lbs loss. Other side effects I can't recall, except acne and weird skin rash."

supersmoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "It has been 1 year and I'm still suffering from the side effects of this awful medicine. I was put on this because of severe migraines that was shutting down the left side of my body top to bottom. I was only taking 1/2 a pill for 2 weeks which in turn gave me kidney stones. The stones in turn tore my ureter so now I have had 1 blockage from scar tissue and the scar tissue is growing back again. My Ureter has narrowed and now going through all the blood work to see how much my kidney is damaged and different procedures for my tube. I take no meds for migraines now I have been seeing an acupuncturist. As far as migraines I have none as long as I have acupuncture."

mellynn December 16, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "The thing I noticed is 90% of my outbreaks went away, however the other 10% were more severe. If you can group that other 10% of the time with a powerful pain medicine then making it through this is not as hard as it use to be. I had been taking other opioids for other conditions that did nothing to help fibro until topamax."

Bobby Johnny doe December 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Topamax is by far the best migraine preventative I have ever tried. I take 100mg at night and have even been on 200mg - 1 100mg in the AM and 1 100mg in the PM. My neurologist and I discussed Topamax and figured it was worth a shot since my chronic, daily migraines were uncontrollable and I was getting Imitrex injections almost every week and could no longer take Toradol. Unlike other people, I have very few side effects. I weaned off Topamax once to try Gabapentin but it by itself wasn't enough and my migraines returned full force. Very few side effects: trouble finding words, thirst, and weight lose (not that I mind). Topamax is a wonderful drug and a LIFESAVER. It and my Gabapentin together is my divine combo!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

For Obesity "When I first started taking Topamax it was prescribed to me for the prevention of migraine headaches. A couple of years later I now take 200mg in the morning and 200mg at bedtime and since February I have lost 51 lbs... 282 down to 232 and still loosing more!!!!"

sfears1120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

For Obesity "This was prescribed for binge eating as I have mood disorder and I need to lose weight. The binge eating was causing me to go over my calorie plan. I have taken it for over 6 months. I have worked up to 200 mg a day. Never had any side effects and no help with appetite either."

ChiWee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I swear, this stuff almost ruined my life. I am a veteran who suffers from anxiety and chronic migraines from an injury in Iraq. The VA (my neurologist) had me try this drug to see if it would help me with the migraines. After about a month I noticed that I couldn't concentrate, and I'd began to effect my studies badly. My anxiety was the worst it had ever been and I was slipping into a depression. I had no idea what was wrong g with me. The VA gave me (a person who suffers from anxiety) a medication that makes you stupid, and wrecked havoc on my mind without warning me about any potential side effects. I had to process the change on my own, figure out what was wrong with me, and ween myself off the pills. Use with extreme caution!"

Fergus82airborne November 22, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "Highly negative experience. Was treated for migraines with this medication, however I ended up with severe depression and suicidal behaviours. It became so bad I could not be left in our house alone. I had muscle atrophy and injured myself just from trying to walk. One broken foot and 3 back injuries. Worst medication I have ever taken; it almost killed me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2015

For Seizure Prevention "I found this drug to be very effective to control my seizures. Before taking Topirimate, my seizures were uncontrollable. I would get 3-5 seizures per week. Not including the amount of injuries I sustained- fortunately, nothing serious, just bumps on the head and sprained ankles from falling over. But I've been so lucky. I've also lost weight. Amazing. I've wanted to lose weight for a while now. I've lost about 2 stone. But unfortunately the appetite suppressant within the Topiramate has ceased. It doesn't last very long. My appetite has come back :-( But the seizures have been greatly reduced. Which is the main thing, which I'm very happy about."

AshR00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I was taking this medication for over two years had to stop it because my memory is terrible. Places I have been going for over ten years I forgot where they were and how to get there. This medicine has messed up my life, even after I stopped it my memory still hasn't returned. I deal with this everyday and it scares me so bad. I have to write things down everyday in order to remember. It did help with my headaches a little but if I had read up on this medication before I started I can promise you I would not have taken it."

dimples1621 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have suffered hormonal migraines since my early 20's (now early 40's). I had tried most everything for migraines and they were still coming and starting to cluster. I was put onto Topirmirate by my GP at the recommendation of the specialist I saw after plan A stopped working after 6 months. I had some extremity tingling for about 6 weeks when I first started (I was slowly built up to 100mg daily dose). In the interest of full disclosure I am also a type 1 diabetic so I am monitored pretty closely for sight and kidney function and I have had no issues around this. I have also started taking an anti depressant to combat a hormone imbalance issue so I don't get the mood swings either."

CalmB (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "The 2 weeks I was taking topamax ended up being the worst 2 weeks of my life. I was started on this med on Wednesday. By Monday, I was half-way through my day at work when I got lightheaded, dizzy, a terrible headache and started experiencing left sided numbness/tingling. Nearly wrecked and ended up in the ER where they diagnosed migraines. Was sent home to have a headache with left side weakness/numbness, confusion, foggy feeling for the next 2 weeks. 5 doctors appts, 2 ER visits, 1 outpatient infusion for migraines, and 1 admission to the hospital later. I finally figured out on MY OWN that when I stopped taking topamax, my symptoms got better. Although they are still not gone. My vision has changed as well as other long term effects."

AH0811 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've read many of the poor reviews, and wonder how many refer to the generic version of Topamax. I can't use the generic version - it simply doesn't work for me, and I do recall more side effects. However, the brand name drug has been a lifesaver for me. I suffered with chronic daily migraine for over a decade before being placed on Topamax, and NO other drug helped. I was on beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, every medication for seizure disorders, and talk about side effects! They were horrific! I could barely function at work, missed lots of time, and essentially had no life. Topamax has made a major difference. I now have many fewer migraines, rarely contend with chronic daily migraine, and I've experienced no major side effects"

Migraine Lynn (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I felt compelled to write a review, as I was on topamax (or should I say dopamax?!) for about 2 years. I started this medication when I was 21 and was so desperate to find something that would actually help my on-going migraines. Personally, the side effect symptoms FAR outweighed the benefits. I started out on 25mg a day and gradually increased to 100mg. As soon as I got on this, the side effects came rolling in. Before I knew it my memory was completely gone. In daily conversation I couldn't think of simple words, names or phrases. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't form the words to do so. The worst of all, it really affected my grades in college. I used to have awesome memorization skills. Unfortunately I would study for hours upon hours, and still wouldn't do well as I would have "brain fog" during tests, etc. Another side effect I experienced was weight loss. I lost around 25 lbs., HOWEVER I don't believe all of this was ultimately from topamax. I'd definitely say it suppressed my appetite, but I really changed my eating habits and worked out daily. It helped with my first few pounds and got me motivated to do the rest. On the plus side, I saw a significant difference in the amount of migraines I received. It was a night and day difference in that aspect. However, approaching a year and a half on this medication I couldn't take it anymore and had to get off. It wasn't worth it anymore. I don't think tapering off or stopping cold turkey on this really makes a difference. My mom stopped cold turkey and I tapered off, as my doctor instructed me. I rebounded off this HORRIBLY, as did my mom. I was STARVING constantly after no longer taking it. This didn't just go away either. My body didn't feel levelled out and "detoxed" of this for honestly about a year after. I not only gained back all my weight I lost, but plus some. Although everyone's body reacts differently, I highly do NOT recommend taking this. Not even for those desperate for weight loss. Losing weight from a medication like this is not sustainable long term. I'm 24 now and am still affected by my choice of taking this. Topamax has ultimately ruined my memory to this day. I still cannot remember words or things. It changed me. Do not take this! There are other answers out there."

Marie37381 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've had migraines on and off for over a decade, and they're increasing with perimenopause. My new doctor had me try generic Topamax, starting with 25 mg for the first week, then increase to 100 mg, half in the morning and half in the evening. The first week went all right, though I had a migraine all through it. I had a second prescription for Sumatriptan to help. But 100 mg was... horrid. Tired, could hardly get out of bed, brain fog, physical fatigue (very evident at the gym), thirsty. After only 2 weeks I'm tapering off and seeing my doctor again to try something else."

WillametteBearcat October 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I take 50mg at night because of drowsiness. The medication did help me with my migraines , I've only had a few since I started the medication. My side effects include, tingling in hands and feet, Red eyes, But the worst is the brain fog, trying to remember the simplest things are tough. I have also noticed that I get angry about stuff more than I used to."

Anonymous October 28, 2015