User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 271 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: This medication in combination with other medicines gave me my life back. I had unsuccessful or allergic reactions to other meds that I had tried. I thank my doctor and this medicine every day for giving me my life back.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by Wonder medication! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Topamax (brand) for approximately ten years. Due to severe migraines this was the only medication to prevent what had been dabilitating headaches, nausea & vomiting, sensitivity to light, smell, sound, movement, and dizziness. After several years, my insurance refused to continue payment of the brand until I tried the generic tablets. After 3 days, the original symptoms returned. They finally approved continued payment of brand and now two years later they again have refused to cover (pay) for medication although it falls under the plan. For three months, my neurologist and I have issued appeals with no clear explanation of the denial. I would just like to again take meds to rid myself of this pain.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by Sam2287:

For Migraine Prevention: Took a 50 mg last night before bedtime for the 1st time. Woke up like a zombie, my top lip numb, in a fog, soda taste metallic. I can't function on this medicine. I function better with migraines. I am a receptionist, and about to fall asleep at my desk.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by manc_lover (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on every medicine. I've had electroshock therapy. Medications don't really work for me very well. I'm only taking Lithium ER 450 mg right now cos my body can't handle more of it. I was taking Topamax for headaches, I thought, but my psychiatrist said it might help my mood. Been taking it for years. I didn't know that it did work for me until I stopped using it. I broke into a manic episode because I started taking that Garcinia weight loss thing, and I wasn't on the Topamax. Well, I guess Topamax DOES work.

July 30, 2014 2:24 PM

For Migraine Prevention: By the time I started Topamax, I was getting migraines 2-4 days a week. Topamax seemed like the best fix. And for a while, it was. My migraines significantly reduced, though I did get most of the common side effects: slight tingling in my fingers, carbonated beverages tasted gross, and weight loss. My main warning about this medicine is weight loss. It seems to be paraded as a benefit, and to some it may be, but if you are already naturally slim, pay very close attention. I wound up dropping to an unhealthy weight despite all attempts to counter it, and it's ultimately why I had to stop Topamax. I was unwillingly wasting away. When I stopped, my migraines returned in short order, and I'm still looking for an alternative that works.

July 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been taking Topamax for 2 years now after trying many different medications. Yes I got some of the side effect mainly thought process was slow and word confusion that was real frustrating it is worse under stress. The all over tingling is not as bad anymore but not have headaches every day, you have to weigh you options.

July 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by DIANA FORD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I used it for migraines. My side effects were: depression, dehydration, impaired thinking, confusion, drowsiness, memory problems, nervousness, trouble in concentrating, weakness, loss of appetite, vertigo, and SEVERE ANXIETY. After stopping this medication, I still suffer from severe anxiety and vertigo.

June 10, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by allisanderson (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Works extremely well to prevent my migraines.

May 24, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by Bridget Wolfe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Was put on Topamax for migraines a year and a half ago, I have had maybe one or two headaches since being on this medicine compared to the weekly migraines I was having before the Topamax AND I am down 80 pounds. I only take 100mg a day. I was just diagnosed with bipolar 1 and after reading this forum I am going to talk to my doctor and see if upping my dose will help with that since I've seen that it is helping all of you. I am feeling quite confident that this could be my medicine of choice for multiple ailments. Good luck to all in your search.

May 16, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by mkelly33:

For Bulimia: I had been bulimic, anorexic for 15 years. I tried in-patient/ out-patient programs in the best places in Toronto, Canada .. and I did each 3-4 times. When I started Topamax, I could attend lunches at work and can honestly say I haven't binged at work this year (I am a teacher). In previous years, I binged and purged, 3-4 times a day. I know socialize and have friends. I do admit though that the meds have made me very, very, tired. I sleep in until about 1 or 2 pm on the weekends which brothers me a lot but I think its a small price to pay for the huge changes I've made.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by Zoe014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them.

May 11, 2014 3:56 PM

Review by great days ahead (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have felt great. No weight loss yet but I feel very good. I am taking it with sertraline. And so far it is the right medicine for me.

May 6, 2014 4:18 AM

Review by RJinVegas:

For Migraine Prevention: Wow, what a roller coaster ride! Started on 25mg, no effect, then 50, 200 finally 400. It did stop the cluster headaches, but Extreme confusion, serious loss of hearing, forgetfulness, couldn't remember my phone number! My wife wouldn't let me drive at 400mg, I was dangerous, parking became very difficult, once I had to get out of the car and let her park. Frustrating and humiliating. In the end, I was down to 50mg a day, Doc said that wasn't causing any side effects at that low dose. WRONG! When I finally stopped, it took a couple of weeks to become me again. I was shocked at the difference it made being off of it. Some of my hearing came back thankfully. I did lose 30 pounds that did not come back.

May 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by mrs.thrompson (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Topamax for about 2 years now, 100 mg a day. I have severe chronic migraines due to my spinal cord. So my doctor put me on this medication. The only side effect I've had was the tingling but I get that anyways even before this medication so who knows if it was a side effect. But it works ok for me when I take it regularly but I also have focal seizures so this medication is for both of my problems. But I always take it with my hydrocodone so my migraines are fine.

May 4, 2014 1:52 PM

Review by barbiedee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Took away 95% of my pain

April 13, 2014 11:48 AM

Review by GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect.

April 1, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by a must have.:

For Bulimia: It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation.

March 27, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by Bojomom:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by Nearly Migraine Free!:

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax literally saved my life! I have been getting headaches often since I was 14 or so. They progressed to full blown migraines after my 3rd child (I was 28 in 2004)and increased from there. By 2008/2009 they had gotten so bad I was literally having paralysis on the left side of my face, could not keep my eyes open at all, severe vomiting. Once I had one there was no driving or I'd run off the road. Thankfully after getting no relief from several medications & including visits to the ER, ENT, and neurologist to try and figure out something... I was prescribed Topamax. Use 50mg a day with 2 Aleve & 500mg Magnesium. Pretty much wiped out my migraines. Got pretty much all the side effects...who cares? I'm not suffering everyday anymore. :)

February 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by Back to start...:

For Seizure Prevention: When I first used Topamax it was for seizures but I had not been diagnosed with bipolar then it was thought to be depression. I lost 83 pounds but I stopped taking it because of the tingling in my hands and face, but after trying other medications years later I gained 123 pounds which I was devastated and plunged in a deep depression that I am still in after reading about again I know, I can live with the other things it seems minor to the darkness I have been living in I can't what to try it again after realizing its better than 99% of things I tried when I go to my appointment in two weeks. I'm excited for the first time in a long time to try it again.

February 6, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by mrhotel_ca (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine Prevention: I took Topamax as much as 300mg/day for 15 years and my last dose was 150mg at night. I recently changed to Lyrica which is also an anti-convulsant and am taking 100mg/day and find it more effective than Topamax without the memory and lost word problems. I discontinued Topamax because it slowly got to the point where I could not remember something for an hour. Topamax also was causing erectile dysfunction problems for the last 3 years. I do not have this problem with Lyrica. In the end I was getting 5 or more migraines a week and now get 2 or 3 a week and expect to increase Lyrica to 300mg/day.

December 25, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by cademan123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizure Prevention: This medicine was great in taking care of seizures but I honestly felt like I was crazy most of the time. I lost weight which I was happy with but when it comes to the final review, I was a crazy, small person. I couldn't even call an order in on the phone because I couldn't think fast enough, I went back to my doctor and ask him to take me off this.

November 27, 2013 7:53 AM

Review by kaycp:

For Bulimia: I've tried Prozac and Effexor. I'm back on Topamax because it seems to be the only medicine that works for me. I never thought my bulimia would get this far, I'm 22 and I've been bulimic since I was 14. I'm done university, and it's been the hardest thing I've had to go through. I've had trouble finding a job and leading my life in the right direction...I wish this medication was sought out more for bulimia.

November 26, 2013 11:55 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 10, 2013 9:20 PM