User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 280 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by a must have.:

For Bulimia: It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation.

March 27, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by Bojomom:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by Nearly Migraine Free!:

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax literally saved my life! I have been getting headaches often since I was 14 or so. They progressed to full blown migraines after my 3rd child (I was 28 in 2004)and increased from there. By 2008/2009 they had gotten so bad I was literally having paralysis on the left side of my face, could not keep my eyes open at all, severe vomiting. Once I had one there was no driving or I'd run off the road. Thankfully after getting no relief from several medications & including visits to the ER, ENT, and neurologist to try and figure out something... I was prescribed Topamax. Use 50mg a day with 2 Aleve & 500mg Magnesium. Pretty much wiped out my migraines. Got pretty much all the side effects...who cares? I'm not suffering everyday anymore. :)

February 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by Back to start...:

For Seizure Prevention: When I first used Topamax it was for seizures but I had not been diagnosed with bipolar then it was thought to be depression. I lost 83 pounds but I stopped taking it because of the tingling in my hands and face, but after trying other medications years later I gained 123 pounds which I was devastated and plunged in a deep depression that I am still in after reading about again I know, I can live with the other things it seems minor to the darkness I have been living in I can't what to try it again after realizing its better than 99% of things I tried when I go to my appointment in two weeks. I'm excited for the first time in a long time to try it again.

February 6, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by mrhotel_ca (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine Prevention: I took Topamax as much as 300mg/day for 15 years and my last dose was 150mg at night. I recently changed to Lyrica which is also an anti-convulsant and am taking 100mg/day and find it more effective than Topamax without the memory and lost word problems. I discontinued Topamax because it slowly got to the point where I could not remember something for an hour. Topamax also was causing erectile dysfunction problems for the last 3 years. I do not have this problem with Lyrica. In the end I was getting 5 or more migraines a week and now get 2 or 3 a week and expect to increase Lyrica to 300mg/day.

December 25, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by cademan123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizure Prevention: This medicine was great in taking care of seizures but I honestly felt like I was crazy most of the time. I lost weight which I was happy with but when it comes to the final review, I was a crazy, small person. I couldn't even call an order in on the phone because I couldn't think fast enough, I went back to my doctor and ask him to take me off this.

November 27, 2013 7:53 AM

Review by kaycp:

For Bulimia: I've tried Prozac and Effexor. I'm back on Topamax because it seems to be the only medicine that works for me. I never thought my bulimia would get this far, I'm 22 and I've been bulimic since I was 14. I'm done university, and it's been the hardest thing I've had to go through. I've had trouble finding a job and leading my life in the right direction...I wish this medication was sought out more for bulimia.

November 26, 2013 11:55 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 9:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have taken Topamax for about 5 years I take 100 mg in the morning 100 in the afternoon and 200 more mg at night I almost never have a migraine.I used to have one 4 out of 7 days a week. I don't have any side effects not even drowsiness.

November 2, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by Blondiechick (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax now for 2 years. I reached a breaking point where I almost lost my job because I was calling out of work so much with 3-4 (sometimes 5) migraines a week. I was initially annoyed because I wanted it to work immediately, but I still had migraines. You have to titrate the dose up 25 mg a week. I initially went up to the recommended 100 mg, but I hated the "loss of words" feeling I had, and found that I had about 1-2 migraines a month. So I decided to go back to 75 mg and see what happened. I had less loss of words and finger tingling, and yet my amount of migraines stayed at 1-2/month. This has been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2013 12:13 PM

Review by Wombat Divine:

For Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed Topamax as a preventative migraine med. It was effective in significantly reducing migraine. However it gave me insanely severe sinus/hayfever symptoms. I couldn't leave the house because my nose was running like a tap. I was sneezing all the time and totally stuffed up. I got all the other usual digestive upset side effects, but I could live with those as they seemed to reduce as time went on whereas the sinus problems intensified.

October 19, 2013 10:08 PM

Review by Danj515:

For Migraine Prevention: I began taking Topamax about a year ago after suffering from weekly migraines since age 15. I increased the dose to 200mg a day before it seemed to be a therapeutic dose for me. My migraines reduced a lot for a long time but I also do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or eat chocolate, cheese. The last few weeks my migraines are back with great intensity. One lasted 4 days. So I will be going back to my doctor. Topamax did not affect my appetite at all. I get occasional tingling.

October 6, 2013 8:29 AM

Review by tinafla444:

For Migraine Prevention: Love this medicine, no headaches.

September 29, 2013 8:17 AM

Review by 1217jess:

For Migraine Prevention: Your experiences helped me a lot. This is my 3rd day on Topamax at 25mg at bedtime and the only side effect I'm experiencing is nausea. I'm also looking forward to the weight loss! Would love to lose 15 pounds.

September 22, 2013 10:08 PM

Review by comon' MOM ! Remember? (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: The side effects outweighed the Wonderful absence of migraines. I did not remember most things I was told. I couldn't remember words, was in a constant fog, hardly smiled or laughed anymore. After I get over these odd "withdrawal" symptoms all will be back to normal.

September 22, 2013 12:24 PM

Review by Sweaterpoo:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm on day 4 of 50 mg of Topamax, and am supposed to up it to 100mg on the 7th day. I've not had a migraine but the side effects are draining me. I have headaches almost everyday and they usually turn into a migraine. But so far in the 4 days on Topamax I've only had to take one triptan and it worked ASAP. I hope I can hang in there. I'd like to lose some weight too!

September 19, 2013 7:06 PM

Review by angziety (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I was on Topamax for almost a month, but I had to stop because of the painfully tingly feet. It didn't do much for my pain overall either. I was also taking it to curb my appetite and for PMDD, but my appetite was the same or worse and it did nothing for the PMDD (might have actually made it worse!). We tried this because Geodon worked well for my PMDD but suddenly stopped working after 4 years (and gave me tardive dyskinesia).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 12:43 AM

Review by Holycats7 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Helps with sleep and weight loss

August 31, 2013 12:38 PM

Review by thisisendless:

For Migraine Prevention: My migraines are primarily abdominal, but I get daily 'tension" type headaches as well. But my nausea "attacks" are totally debilitating and the headaches get more so every day. I took Topamax starting at 25 mgs then increased. I noticed it really helping my symptoms, way less nausea, headaches stopped and I could sleep well. Unfortunately, I am one of the people who react with a rare side effect of an acute onset closed angle glaucoma attack and my vision got very blurry and got so bad I could not see anything but blobs if it was more that 12 inches from my face. If you get blurred vision go to the ER and show them the letter from the Topamax website, because ER had never heard of that reaction. I gave it a 5 because it worked until then.

August 8, 2013 3:00 AM

Review by Larissa555:

For Migraine Prevention: At first this medication impaired my ability to drive a lot. My depth perception was way off making it very dangerous for me to be on the road, over time I did notice my migraines were less often and sometimes I would get all the symptoms of a migraine (light sensitivity, nausea) but no pain, kind of like a ghost migraine, which was weird and inconvenient. For the most part I think this medication is worth a try. I am currently on 25mg.

July 31, 2013 2:44 PM

Review by Lorrie Louise:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax for 13 years now and cannot live without it. Before the doctor prescribed it for me I was in the hospital at least 4 times a year for 2 to 3 days. I have not even been to the emergency room for a shot since I have stared taking it. I take 50 mg morning & 50 mg at night. I did not lose many pounds and the side effects did not bother me at all. I would suggest anyone with severe migraines to give Topamax a few months before giving up on it.

July 29, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by rogi (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Seizure Prevention: This is for the Newbies out there. I started this medication when I was 15. Had my first seizure few days before before my 15th birthday. The first side effect you will experience is sleepiness, don't fight it. Let your body get a nap between 1-3, which I found to be the best time. I sleep for 1 hour and still can fall asleep at night. I am 21 now. Some advice to you, whenever you don't feel like eating I found that sweet tea gets me hungry, find that X factor in you. The weight loss is insane. I lost 40 pounds in 6 months just by breathing. Now, sleep patterns are important. If an average person needs 8 hours you and I need 9-10 MINIMUM also try to take the dose at the same time every day, you will fall asleep faster. Hang out to see sunrise.

July 21, 2013 10:00 AM

Review by Chris147:

For Migraine Prevention: Emotional problems, runny nose, etc. Without much relief.

July 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Review by RomancePants (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I was prepared for the basic side effects: Carbonated beverages not tasting right, and also some loss of appetite. I was put on 100mg from the get go. I also had the fairly common side effect of just feeling confused, though this wasn't all that severe and I was still able to do well in school. I also experienced tingling in my hands and feet, and though this was irritating, it was bearable. The real kicker for why I quit taking this medicine was when I began to have what felt like panic attacks and severe confusion, along with elevated heartbeat and dizziness. Also my fingers would move on their own and seem to get stuck sticking straight out and I had no control over it.

July 3, 2013 2:48 AM