User Reviews for Topamax (Page 2)

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 326 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "First week ok. Dizzy first day. Overwhelming sense of wellness for the first week, minus dizzy feeling. I thought this is great. When I increased the dose as prescribed the second week I developed a headache the next day. Had pains in my abdomen, all throughout my back. Continued for 2 more weeks then my body shut down, had the worst migraine that lasted 2 days. I slept for 4 days. Then muscle weekness, nausea, and persistent headache. My bladder was painful and felt like I could not empty it. Three days off them, I can finally stand up straight, but I lost a week of work. Might have been ok if dose was not increased."

Lor26 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I only took Topamax for a short time, but the side effects were so bad I had to stop. Primarily, it made me feel goofy. I was in a cloud and had trouble remembering how to get places I went to frequently. I lost the ability to taste bubbles in beverages, and beer or soda without carbonation just wasn't the same. In short, the nickname "dopamax" seemed well earned to me."

Head Honcho (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "Very sick and dizziness"

ryan726363 September 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I took Topamax a few years ago and regret it. It has changed my life for the worse. Even after stopping the meds several years ago, I still have bad brain fog, loss of vision, memory loss especially short term, lost the ability to comprehend things and lost ability to do simple functions such as basic math. Prior to taking this medicine I was at the top of my game. Now I feel helpless and the doctors were no help. My vision changed after it, mind you I had lasik eye surgery and could see perfectly fine prior to this. It's frustrating because I have to do things differently now and it's embarrassing because people look at you like something wrong since you can't do simple things a 2 year old can do!"

Unique7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2015

For Tourette's Syndrome "Topamax/Topiramate has been wonderful for tic reduction. I have a fairly obvious case and they are exhausting and embarrassing. I have minimal to no side effects, a little drier mouth perhaps, plus my 15/20 vision reduces to 20/20. I feel less anxious and less "pressure/need" to tic. I can take much lower doses of the brand name to achieve the same effect with the generic; but my insurance won't cover the brand name. It's 100mg twice/day generic versus half that amount brand version. It's still worth it!! I feel so much more in control and "almost normal"."

SBrun September 21, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I seemed to catch everything while I was on this rx. First it was a really bad cold, next I could not seem to heal from surgery for deviated septum - my ENT was stumped, then later I caught the flu while the rest of my family seemed fine. Also during this 6 month period I had a couple of sinus infections. Eventually, I knew something was very wrong. I started searching the Internet for immunity issues and topiramate, and I got a couple of hits from blogs where women about my age (40s) claimed that topiramate had wrecked their immunity. Alas, my search (and problem) was over because I knew exactly what they meant by "wrecked my immunity". Within a few short weeks of ceasing the use of topiramate, my health returned. Please beware!"

GPC71 September 14, 2015

For Obesity "I have been over weight and suffer from depression for over 20 years, I admit food was my best friend!!! After hysterectomy doctor put me on hormone replacement medicine, I was so hungry constantly , All I could think about was eating. Then my doctor put me on Topamax and I LOVE IT! I went from 252 lbs to now 167 lbs. From size 22 now size 10. I have to make myself eat, never hungry, and when I am eating I just try to eat slowly, and I do drink water now because even my favorite diet soda does taste terrible. I would tell everyone to try it!"

Jo Jo 997 September 13, 2015

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was getting 10-12 migraines a month when I was prescribed Topamax. I took it for a little over a month but had to quit because it made me extremely depressed and suicidal. After I stopped taking it, I felt fine again."

IdahoMt September 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I cannot recommend this medication. Yes it did prevent migraines but the side-effects far outweighed the benefit. My doctor put me on a gradual increase in dosage and I was unable to get past the first week. After a couple of days I lost control of my own thoughts and focused on every negative I my mind could come up with. My work was impacted. I work in an accounting office and lost my ability to count and remember the alphabet. Not to mention I would stop talking in mid-sentence quite often. I knew what I needed to say but my mouth just wouldn't do it. My short term memory was non-existent and I decided to stop taking this medication after I forgot where I was driving to on my way to work; the same place I've been to for the last 9 years."

SP87 September 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have not had good luck with this medicine. The side effects were horrible at first but they did settle down and mostly disappeared after 4 or 5 months on the medication. If you're just starting it, give it some time and the side effects will go away, but for me it never helped lessen or decrease my migraines so now my doc has given me Amitriptyline to try so I'm hoping I have better luck with this one!!"

Krista123456 September 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started having migraines a week after starting the birth control pill as a teen. Over the years (I'm now 55) I have tried many drugs for the treatment of or prevention of migraines. I get the classic vascular migraine with an aura each time I get a migraine. I finally was prescribed Topamax as a preventative, the final dose that worked was 75mg in am and 75mg in pm. My migraines went from daily to MAYBE once a month. I took this for 3 years at least. I was just at the point of quitting it when I lost my job so I had no choice. The reason I was quitting it was that I lost SO MUCH WEIGHT that I looked anorexic! And soon realized that my memory was HORRIBLE!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "This is the 2nd time in 10 yrs a neurologist has put me on Topomax. I am on 125 mg a day. The side effects are horrible and the migraines are worse than ever. Neuro refuses to take me off it after I have told him I do not like this drug or its many side effects. I was told I was a lost cause."

valliejo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have had estrogen- and barometric migraine since my mid-twenties. I was noticing that the intensity & frequency of said migraines were getting worse over time (I'm 47 now). I was over-presrcribed Imitrex & was having rebound migraines, suffering 20 migraines/mo. So far, I've been on this med for a little over 2 weeks, & am on 25 mg. I don't think I need to go any higher right now, which is fine by me. For the first 4 days, I had a horrid migraine, felt dizzy & had some nausea. After that, I started feeling a lot better, more alert, no pain, felt sharper too. I'm in peri menopause & have noticed that I get a migraine around the time of my period, but it's about a 5 or 6 instead of a 10 . So far is working w/very few & side effects."

Tamiko B. September 4, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started Topamax on August 18th and my life has changed! Today is September 2nd, two weeks without a migraine is a miracle. I’m on 50mg. At first I was having a hard time at work. Brain fog is an understatement. But I would say it’s gone now. Within the first week my sensitivity to light disappeared. I actually started crying tears of joy while driving because I could finally see in the day time without migraine. And same thing at night. I don’t have to turn the mirror up anymore. I can see! I occasionally get some tingling in my hands and feet but not bad at all. I will update again on my progress/side effect in a month or two. Good luck to everyone. This has been such a blessing for me."

Victoria925 (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I had extreme vision changes, loss of memory, extreme depression with long crying spells, anger, and suicidal thoughts. I have tried it at 3 different points in my life and have had the same experience each time...NOT GOOD. I tried the medication 3 times because the doctor and I thought that perhaps the side effects were from a mix of other medications I took with the pill. I did have weight loss but it was not worth it at all. I could barely drive and soft drinks (although not really important) tasted amazingly disgusting. I had no warning about all of the things I might experience and it was horrible trying to teach middle school, raise two young children, do daily tasks, and drive. I've had friends get divorced due to side effects."

Been there and done that (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've had migraines since kindergarten. They have become increasingly debilitating in adulthood and sometimes I would average 15 headaches per month! My life revolved around my migraines. I tried everything to stop them. When my doctor talked to me about Topomax, I was thrilled. It took me two years to get to a dosage that managed the headaches and auras but now the only time I get a migraine, it's weather related. I use Relpax to relieve it. Topomax has been a God send for me!"

PattiPLante July 25, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started taking Topamax 12 years ago after one of my migraines sent me out of my classroom & into the ER. After the initial few weeks of disorientation, halo vision, & tingling/numbness, my body adjusted to the meds & I had almost 10 years of maybe two headaches per year. A miracle! When menopause hit, my migraines came roaring back with a vengeance. But I stayed on Topamax & my neurologist added other meds to supplement. Things are better now; Topamax has been a lifesaver for me. But it takes some time to let the side effects settle out & for your doctor to tweak the dosages."

Palmyra July 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have suffered from severe migraines since I was 15 and the older I got the more severe they got I have been on numerous medications over the years but 5 years ago I found a neurologist that gave me Topamax and my life has changed completely 50g in the morning and 50g at night and I don't get any anymore I had a few at the start but haven't had a headache now for a few years thank God for Topamax"

Gerardene July 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "At first it seemed to make the migraines not so unbearable. The weight loss was nice too! It did make me drowsy at first. I also couldn't think straight and find the right words. I saw light trails esp at night. But I struggled through for a few years thinking I would get over the side effects. Ultimately I didn't think the benefits were worth the side effects. Everyone is different."

Romababy July 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "It help with less migraines but I lost a ton of weight I usually was at 130-135 but Topamax I was at 112-115. I never had an appetite"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "While on Topamax, I lost my ability to think straight. I couldn't process things the same way. I couldn't even finish my sentences. I would start talking and would forget the words that came next. My friends and family would have to help me finish my sentences. After getting off the medicine, I could finally finish my thoughts again. However, I feel like I still cannot learn as easily as I did before I got on the medicine. I think it changed my brain processing capability. I have talked to a friend who had the exact same problem on this medicine. I would not recommend it unless you actually cannot live without it."

Caseyyyyy July 11, 2015

For Seizure Prevention "I've been on Topiramate now for 3 yrs after switching from Lamotrogine, on which I had a full-on epileptic seizure. My experience on Topiramate however has been fine. I lost weight like others seem to have, but have since put it back on. I surrendered my driving license for a year after the seizure but have since got that back. I carry out my job with ease as well so really can't complain there. The only issues I've had are the side effects of tingly hands and feet, sudden dizziness, becoming very, very tired all of a sudden - and more recently - losing my train of thought, getting confused easily and being unable to focus. I've noticed this mainly happens though when I'm bored and have nothing to do. When I'm busy, all works well."

Rebecca13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've had cronic migraines since I was 14 and I was put on topamax at 16 at 50mg I've been on it for 4 years now and its worked great for me until recently when I delt with the loss of my father and started experiencing light head aches so my doctor upped me to 100mg, 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night and I haven't gotten a migraine since. Its also helped me as a mood stabilizer too, I would recommend this medication if over the counter drugs aren't working for your migraines it really does wonders"

Ashh July 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have awful headaches on the daily and was so happy when my doctor prescribed me something that could lessen them. I was very optimistic and wanted it to help. This medication did not get rid of the headaches but I experienced some of the worst headaches ever while on this drug. I felt alright during the day, but once evening time rolled around I was so grouchy, so moody, tired, and my head was throbbing. I kept taking the medication because I just thought it needed time to "make its way into my body." Finally, I said enough is enough and asked my doctor if I could stop taking it. I have not taken a pill in two days and am still experiencing the awful migraines. I am so miserable and have not felt like myself for a week and a half."

tpickk (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "Topamax was a miracle drug for me! It helped with my Fibromyalgia pain & headaches. I would definitely recommend this drug. I have to stop taking it now due to the development of kidney stones. I wish I could stay on it as it improved my life by 90%. I'm a 59 year old female. I have had fibromyalgia for 23 plus years."

Burps (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2015