Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 257 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topamax

Review by Chris147: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Emotional problems, runny nose, etc. Without much relief.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 17, 2013 1:56 PM
Review by RomancePants (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I was prepared for the basic side effects: Carbonated beverages not tasting right, and also some loss of appetite. I was put on 100mg from the get go. I also had the fairly common side effect of just feeling confused, though this wasn't all that severe and I was still able to do well in school. I also experienced tingling in my hands and feet, and though this was irritating, it was bearable. The real kicker for why I quit taking this medicine was when I began to have what felt like panic attacks and severe confusion, along with elevated heartbeat and dizziness. Also my fingers would move on their own and seem to get stuck sticking straight out and I had no control over it.

July 3, 2013 2:48 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I went from 1 or 2 migraines a year to about 9 a month. After a year or so of this my doctor had me try Topamax. I've been on 25 mg., once a day, for the past three weeks and I'm very happy with it. I've only had the beginnings of 3 migraines (immediately took my Relpax) and they went immediately away. I feel like I've got my life back. My only side effects are a slight loss of appetite (which I'm not unhappy about) and a little tingling in my feet. Well worth it.

July 2, 2013 6:38 PM
Review by CaliHeart: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I originally started on Topamax for Migraines and found it to be a 10 for that. I went from 4-5 monthly to maybe 2-3 per year. Life changing! It was difficult for my body to adapt to at first and I had to build up VERY slowly using 12.5mg for a few weeks in the morning and then adding an evening dose, etc. It made me feel horrible, tired, breathless, out of sorts and dopey overall but over time all that wore off and in addition to the absence of migraines I enjoyed a more even keel mood, more control over my decision making including less desire for alcohol. This made staying sober easier than at previous attempts. I also struggled less with eating issues. I've had to increase over time and take breaks/restart to manage the dosage amount vs tolerance.

June 26, 2013 2:19 PM
Review by Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 5:57 PM
Review by Nat migraine:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have always had chronic, severe migraine, often for 15 days or more of each month. Topamax has helped, but I tend to develop a resistance, so when I started getting resistant to Topomax I came off & have not been on anything. 15 days ago I started having severe vertigo, now diagnosed as vitigenous migraine (a new twist on my migraines) and am back on Topamax. I immediately noticed a severe drop in my libido. I don't remember it from previous times. Of course, being dizzy for 2 weeks may also be killing my sex-drive!

May 18, 2013 1:59 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Female. 19. I had sinus surgery then started getting headaches after surgery because of nerve damage. I was taking 25mg once every night for a week and every next week would up the dose. My experience was awful! I had the usual side affects people had- tingling in lips/hands, and weight loss. Main one for me was, I was so extremely fatigued and weak. I'm a young healthy girl who eats healthy, is a healthy weight, and before my surgery worked out 4 X a week. I would have physically to force myself out of bed. And as far as the headaches it reduced the intensity of the migraines, but did nothing for the frequency.

May 11, 2013 10:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: My current dosage is 100mg daily. I started at 113 pounds, today I weigh 100 pounds due to Topamax. Yes, I agree with everyone in the beginning the side effects were the worst. However, my doctor warned me that I would not feel relief until I reached my full dosage and my body adjusted to it, which was about 12 weeks. And I did see a difference. Before Topamax, migraines controlled my life, I had roughly 15 a month. With the Topamax I rarely have a severe migraine at all. Typically I just get 5-7 headaches a month which is a big difference. Yes, sometimes I forget my train of thought or tingly in my feet. However, those side effects beat the alternative to 50% of my life being controlled by severe migraines.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2013 12:45 AM
Review by Paul height (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have now been on Topamax for about 6 years now and in all that time I can honestly say I have only had bad head ache and no migraine at all and the only reason started the medication is I had meningitis in 1993 and one of the long term side effects of this is migraines for life so Topamax has been a lifesaver for me.

May 9, 2013 4:14 PM
Review by PurpleLady: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Topamax for over 3 years and the only side effect I experienced was an initial weight loss of about 15lbs. If there was any cognitive difficulty, memory loss, difficulty remembering words, etc., I didn't notice, as it was worse when I was experiencing a migraine. Before taking Topamax I would have a headache for months, with no relief. After I started taking Topamax the migraines were down to 3 month. My Dr. started me on a dose of 25mg, 2 X day and titrated me to 100mg 2 X day. Unfortunately, the Topamax no longer seems to be effective and on my next visit I will ask my Dr. to either increase the dosage or to prescribe a different medicine. Also, I have to agree with another post I saw, I am always freezing!

May 7, 2013 2:03 PM
Review by tinkerbell420 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: I was put on Topamax 2 months ago after a serious car accident that left me in a flare up of my fibromyalgia. I have not reacted well to medications in the past and have had serious reactions which lead to serious consequences to the other meds I was on. Topamax has been the only medication that I have been able to tolerate well. It does take a while for it to start working though and I have had a few side effects but none that I'm not willing to put up with and 2 of them have gone away since I have started the Topamax.

April 27, 2013 1:45 AM
Review by Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: Losing 10lbs plus per month.

April 18, 2013 7:02 AM
Review by SteffenG: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Tourette's Syndrome: I have Tourette's Syndrome and ADHD. Tried different kinds of medicines for my TS. Depending on my day, I could have some to a lot of tics. Topamax did wonders for my tics, but it can have side effects that are similar to ADHD symptoms - different remembering some words/names when asked, unable to concentrate, etc. I also experienced that my thought-pattern were kind of limited to a certain degree, as I would sometimes have difficulties thinking further ahead. This medicine however, was much better than other kinds I've tried.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2013 4:54 PM
Review by meldjc (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Began taking Topamax in 2006. Before starting on Topamax migraines were lasting 4-5 days after onset; and frequency of approximately 3 times per month. I experienced some diarrhea which subsided after breaking dosage up throughout the day (200mg daily). Additionally, I have experienced weight loss (a significant amount 50lbs) I could not afford to lose. However, the weight loss has subsided as well. Upon beginning the medication I had trouble with recalling words and memory loss. At this juncture the side effects have since passed and so have the migraines. I experience 1-2 migraines quarterly. Topamax has been a life-saver for me. I had tried many other migraine preventatives to no avail.

April 6, 2013 12:06 PM
Review by POB: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have chronic daily migraines, and have tried several medications for migraine prevention, including Depakote, Elavil (amitriptyline), nortriptyline, and propranolol. The Depakote, amitriptyline and nortriptyline were too sedating. The propranolol worked well, but I had too increase the dosage over time to the point where my blood pressure became too low. Right now a combination of Topamax at 50 mg and propranolol extended release at 60 mg works best for me. There are few adverse effects. The Topamax does cause some frustrating cognitive difficulties but I think I can live with them, considering the relief it gives me from the migraines.

April 1, 2013 8:32 AM
Review by adoptionsworker: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I have had a good experience after trying to find the right cocktail for several years. I have a very high-stress job and my anxiety is put to the test daily. It is not clinically significant at this point and I can only attribute that to finally having my medicines right. I am taking Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Topamax and Zoloft at pretty low dosages for each. I did lose about 70 pounds. After over a year on the Topamax, my normal appetite has started to return and I have gained back about 10 pounds, but I still have self control that I lacked when I was fighting depression which is now at bay.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2013 6:05 PM
Review by KimberBR: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: Stabilizing when used with Lamictal and Lexapro.

February 10, 2013 4:46 PM
Review by Rosbud (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax since Monday, February 4th, 2013. I have a history of migraines and lately have been having just bad headaches everyday. I am taking 25mg a day and it has really helped. I have had no side effects except lack of interest in eating. I have lost 3 lbs this week. I look forward to no headaches and will watch the weight loss but I can stand to lose a few pounds at this point.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2013 12:00 PM
Review by RoseQ: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Topamax has significantly reduced my migraines from 1 a month to 1 every 18 months. I have also found that it helps you - to not over eat or drink alcohol. I am very happy being on Topamax for all these reasons. I initially did have tingly feet, a small price to pay, but rarely get that sympton now. I am on 50 mg a day.

February 3, 2013 7:09 PM
Review by Cissy<3Oso: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Took my first dose of 25mg on a Wednesday evening, that Thursday morning I woke up with nausea and diarrhea that only became more severe as the day went on. Had to leave work due to the severe nausea. Went to sleep around 2 p.m. and didn't wake up until 1 p.m. Friday. The only benefits I can say I had were the loss of weight (159lbs at appointment on Thursday/ 155.5lbs on Sunday) and I was able to quit smoking as I didn't have the urge to.

January 30, 2013 11:00 AM
Review by Anna1949: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I am a retired teacher with a long history of migraines. Because of a heart condition, there were many medications I could not take. I suffered through many days taking mostly over the counter medicines. I was put on Topamax 10 months ago. At 100 mg a day, I was so stupid I could never have run a classroom. I could not do simple math problems or remember the names of streets nearby my home. The huge relief of not having migraines made it almost worth it. After all, I was now retired and did not have to be as sharp as I once was. It was a tough decision . My family was frustrated too with my huge brain fog. I also had the tingling and taste changes but they are easy to adjust to. I recently weaned myself down to 50mg a day and its working well.

January 29, 2013 11:40 AM
Review by Maluscaper (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I am currently taking it for intense migranes. It is the only thing that I have found that has helped. I do have breakthrough migraines but the medication does keep the majority of them at bay. I do get many of the side effects. I get the tingling in the hands and feet. I occasionally get tingling on my tongue and a weird burning/taste when I drink soda. I get a slight dizziness when I first take it. I am more sensitive to cold and I get diarrhea. All of these side effects I can either live with or treat and are worth the freedom of the migraines. If you live with migraines everyday your willing to put up with a lot of side effects just to be pain free for a while. This medication is totally worth it.

January 28, 2013 10:15 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I took Topamax for 2 months until I finally threw in the towel and could take no more. It did stop the migraines but the other side effects were horrible. I did have the tingling in my hands, feet, and lips and food did taste way different. I was so depressed I could barely even get out of the bed. I actually GAINED about 5 lbs. while I notice most everyone else lost weight. I cried everyday for a week straight and I'm not like that. My house was a wreck and I could barely help my son with his homework.

January 25, 2013 5:53 PM
Review by chaotic-life (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: Over the edge..best thing ever!

January 22, 2013 9:58 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax in January of 2012 for migraines, I was getting one a day. I did experience the brain fog at first, but I found that after about a month or two, I was mostly back to normal. I have experienced the weight loss and loss of appetite, and I'm also lactose intolerant, so I'm trying to work on eating a healthy amount. I have found that drinking a lot of water really helps with the tingly feeling in my feet and hands!

November 28, 2012 10:18 AM