User Reviews for Topamax (Page 2)

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 331 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "The 2 weeks I was taking topamax ended up being the worst 2 weeks of my life. I was started on this med on Wednesday. By Monday, I was half-way through my day at work when I got lightheaded, dizzy, a terrible headache and started experiencing left sided numbness/tingling. Nearly wrecked and ended up in the ER where they diagnosed migraines. Was sent home to have a headache with left side weakness/numbness, confusion, foggy feeling for the next 2 weeks. 5 doctors appts, 2 ER visits, 1 outpatient infusion for migraines, and 1 admission to the hospital later. I finally figured out on MY OWN that when I stopped taking topamax, my symptoms got better. Although they are still not gone. My vision has changed as well as other long term effects."

AH0811 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've read many of the poor reviews, and wonder how many refer to the generic version of Topamax. I can't use the generic version - it simply doesn't work for me, and I do recall more side effects. However, the brand name drug has been a lifesaver for me. I suffered with chronic daily migraine for over a decade before being placed on Topamax, and NO other drug helped. I was on beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, every medication for seizure disorders, and talk about side effects! They were horrific! I could barely function at work, missed lots of time, and essentially had no life. Topamax has made a major difference. I now have many fewer migraines, rarely contend with chronic daily migraine, and I've experienced no major side effects"

Migraine Lynn (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I felt compelled to write a review, as I was on topamax (or should I say dopamax?!) for about 2 years. I started this medication when I was 21 and was so desperate to find something that would actually help my on-going migraines. Personally, the side effect symptoms FAR outweighed the benefits. I started out on 25mg a day and gradually increased to 100mg. As soon as I got on this, the side effects came rolling in. Before I knew it my memory was completely gone. In daily conversation I couldn't think of simple words, names or phrases. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't form the words to do so. The worst of all, it really affected my grades in college. I used to have awesome memorization skills. Unfortunately I would study for hours upon hours, and still wouldn't do well as I would have "brain fog" during tests, etc. Another side effect I experienced was weight loss. I lost around 25 lbs., HOWEVER I don't believe all of this was ultimately from topamax. I'd definitely say it suppressed my appetite, but I really changed my eating habits and worked out daily. It helped with my first few pounds and got me motivated to do the rest. On the plus side, I saw a significant difference in the amount of migraines I received. It was a night and day difference in that aspect. However, approaching a year and a half on this medication I couldn't take it anymore and had to get off. It wasn't worth it anymore. I don't think tapering off or stopping cold turkey on this really makes a difference. My mom stopped cold turkey and I tapered off, as my doctor instructed me. I rebounded off this HORRIBLY, as did my mom. I was STARVING constantly after no longer taking it. This didn't just go away either. My body didn't feel levelled out and "detoxed" of this for honestly about a year after. I not only gained back all my weight I lost, but plus some. Although everyone's body reacts differently, I highly do NOT recommend taking this. Not even for those desperate for weight loss. Losing weight from a medication like this is not sustainable long term. I'm 24 now and am still affected by my choice of taking this. Topamax has ultimately ruined my memory to this day. I still cannot remember words or things. It changed me. Do not take this! There are other answers out there."

Marie37381 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've had migraines on and off for over a decade, and they're increasing with perimenopause. My new doctor had me try generic Topamax, starting with 25 mg for the first week, then increase to 100 mg, half in the morning and half in the evening. The first week went all right, though I had a migraine all through it. I had a second prescription for Sumatriptan to help. But 100 mg was... horrid. Tired, could hardly get out of bed, brain fog, physical fatigue (very evident at the gym), thirsty. After only 2 weeks I'm tapering off and seeing my doctor again to try something else."

WillametteBearcat October 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I take 50mg at night because of drowsiness. The medication did help me with my migraines , I've only had a few since I started the medication. My side effects include, tingling in hands and feet, Red eyes, But the worst is the brain fog, trying to remember the simplest things are tough. I have also noticed that I get angry about stuff more than I used to."

Anonymous October 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "First week ok. Dizzy first day. Overwhelming sense of wellness for the first week, minus dizzy feeling. I thought this is great. When I increased the dose as prescribed the second week I developed a headache the next day. Had pains in my abdomen, all throughout my back. Continued for 2 more weeks then my body shut down, had the worst migraine that lasted 2 days. I slept for 4 days. Then muscle weekness, nausea, and persistent headache. My bladder was painful and felt like I could not empty it. Three days off them, I can finally stand up straight, but I lost a week of work. Might have been ok if dose was not increased."

Lor26 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I only took Topamax for a short time, but the side effects were so bad I had to stop. Primarily, it made me feel goofy. I was in a cloud and had trouble remembering how to get places I went to frequently. I lost the ability to taste bubbles in beverages, and beer or soda without carbonation just wasn't the same. In short, the nickname "dopamax" seemed well earned to me."

Head Honcho (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "Very sick and dizziness"

ryan726363 September 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I took Topamax a few years ago and regret it. It has changed my life for the worse. Even after stopping the meds several years ago, I still have bad brain fog, loss of vision, memory loss especially short term, lost the ability to comprehend things and lost ability to do simple functions such as basic math. Prior to taking this medicine I was at the top of my game. Now I feel helpless and the doctors were no help. My vision changed after it, mind you I had lasik eye surgery and could see perfectly fine prior to this. It's frustrating because I have to do things differently now and it's embarrassing because people look at you like something wrong since you can't do simple things a 2 year old can do!"

Unique7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2015

For Tourette's Syndrome "Topamax/Topiramate has been wonderful for tic reduction. I have a fairly obvious case and they are exhausting and embarrassing. I have minimal to no side effects, a little drier mouth perhaps, plus my 15/20 vision reduces to 20/20. I feel less anxious and less "pressure/need" to tic. I can take much lower doses of the brand name to achieve the same effect with the generic; but my insurance won't cover the brand name. It's 100mg twice/day generic versus half that amount brand version. It's still worth it!! I feel so much more in control and "almost normal"."

SBrun September 21, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I seemed to catch everything while I was on this rx. First it was a really bad cold, next I could not seem to heal from surgery for deviated septum - my ENT was stumped, then later I caught the flu while the rest of my family seemed fine. Also during this 6 month period I had a couple of sinus infections. Eventually, I knew something was very wrong. I started searching the Internet for immunity issues and topiramate, and I got a couple of hits from blogs where women about my age (40s) claimed that topiramate had wrecked their immunity. Alas, my search (and problem) was over because I knew exactly what they meant by "wrecked my immunity". Within a few short weeks of ceasing the use of topiramate, my health returned. Please beware!"

GPC71 September 14, 2015

For Obesity "I have been over weight and suffer from depression for over 20 years, I admit food was my best friend!!! After hysterectomy doctor put me on hormone replacement medicine, I was so hungry constantly , All I could think about was eating. Then my doctor put me on Topamax and I LOVE IT! I went from 252 lbs to now 167 lbs. From size 22 now size 10. I have to make myself eat, never hungry, and when I am eating I just try to eat slowly, and I do drink water now because even my favorite diet soda does taste terrible. I would tell everyone to try it!"

Jo Jo 997 September 13, 2015

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was getting 10-12 migraines a month when I was prescribed Topamax. I took it for a little over a month but had to quit because it made me extremely depressed and suicidal. After I stopped taking it, I felt fine again."

IdahoMt September 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I cannot recommend this medication. Yes it did prevent migraines but the side-effects far outweighed the benefit. My doctor put me on a gradual increase in dosage and I was unable to get past the first week. After a couple of days I lost control of my own thoughts and focused on every negative I my mind could come up with. My work was impacted. I work in an accounting office and lost my ability to count and remember the alphabet. Not to mention I would stop talking in mid-sentence quite often. I knew what I needed to say but my mouth just wouldn't do it. My short term memory was non-existent and I decided to stop taking this medication after I forgot where I was driving to on my way to work; the same place I've been to for the last 9 years."

SP87 September 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have not had good luck with this medicine. The side effects were horrible at first but they did settle down and mostly disappeared after 4 or 5 months on the medication. If you're just starting it, give it some time and the side effects will go away, but for me it never helped lessen or decrease my migraines so now my doc has given me Amitriptyline to try so I'm hoping I have better luck with this one!!"

Krista123456 September 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started having migraines a week after starting the birth control pill as a teen. Over the years (I'm now 55) I have tried many drugs for the treatment of or prevention of migraines. I get the classic vascular migraine with an aura each time I get a migraine. I finally was prescribed Topamax as a preventative, the final dose that worked was 75mg in am and 75mg in pm. My migraines went from daily to MAYBE once a month. I took this for 3 years at least. I was just at the point of quitting it when I lost my job so I had no choice. The reason I was quitting it was that I lost SO MUCH WEIGHT that I looked anorexic! And soon realized that my memory was HORRIBLE!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "This is the 2nd time in 10 yrs a neurologist has put me on Topomax. I am on 125 mg a day. The side effects are horrible and the migraines are worse than ever. Neuro refuses to take me off it after I have told him I do not like this drug or its many side effects. I was told I was a lost cause."

valliejo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have had estrogen- and barometric migraine since my mid-twenties. I was noticing that the intensity & frequency of said migraines were getting worse over time (I'm 47 now). I was over-presrcribed Imitrex & was having rebound migraines, suffering 20 migraines/mo. So far, I've been on this med for a little over 2 weeks, & am on 25 mg. I don't think I need to go any higher right now, which is fine by me. For the first 4 days, I had a horrid migraine, felt dizzy & had some nausea. After that, I started feeling a lot better, more alert, no pain, felt sharper too. I'm in peri menopause & have noticed that I get a migraine around the time of my period, but it's about a 5 or 6 instead of a 10 . So far is working w/very few & side effects."

Tamiko B. September 4, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started Topamax on August 18th and my life has changed! Today is September 2nd, two weeks without a migraine is a miracle. I’m on 50mg. At first I was having a hard time at work. Brain fog is an understatement. But I would say it’s gone now. Within the first week my sensitivity to light disappeared. I actually started crying tears of joy while driving because I could finally see in the day time without migraine. And same thing at night. I don’t have to turn the mirror up anymore. I can see! I occasionally get some tingling in my hands and feet but not bad at all. I will update again on my progress/side effect in a month or two. Good luck to everyone. This has been such a blessing for me."

Victoria925 (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I had extreme vision changes, loss of memory, extreme depression with long crying spells, anger, and suicidal thoughts. I have tried it at 3 different points in my life and have had the same experience each time...NOT GOOD. I tried the medication 3 times because the doctor and I thought that perhaps the side effects were from a mix of other medications I took with the pill. I did have weight loss but it was not worth it at all. I could barely drive and soft drinks (although not really important) tasted amazingly disgusting. I had no warning about all of the things I might experience and it was horrible trying to teach middle school, raise two young children, do daily tasks, and drive. I've had friends get divorced due to side effects."

Been there and done that (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've had migraines since kindergarten. They have become increasingly debilitating in adulthood and sometimes I would average 15 headaches per month! My life revolved around my migraines. I tried everything to stop them. When my doctor talked to me about Topomax, I was thrilled. It took me two years to get to a dosage that managed the headaches and auras but now the only time I get a migraine, it's weather related. I use Relpax to relieve it. Topomax has been a God send for me!"

PattiPLante July 25, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started taking Topamax 12 years ago after one of my migraines sent me out of my classroom & into the ER. After the initial few weeks of disorientation, halo vision, & tingling/numbness, my body adjusted to the meds & I had almost 10 years of maybe two headaches per year. A miracle! When menopause hit, my migraines came roaring back with a vengeance. But I stayed on Topamax & my neurologist added other meds to supplement. Things are better now; Topamax has been a lifesaver for me. But it takes some time to let the side effects settle out & for your doctor to tweak the dosages."

Palmyra July 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have suffered from severe migraines since I was 15 and the older I got the more severe they got I have been on numerous medications over the years but 5 years ago I found a neurologist that gave me Topamax and my life has changed completely 50g in the morning and 50g at night and I don't get any anymore I had a few at the start but haven't had a headache now for a few years thank God for Topamax"

Gerardene July 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "At first it seemed to make the migraines not so unbearable. The weight loss was nice too! It did make me drowsy at first. I also couldn't think straight and find the right words. I saw light trails esp at night. But I struggled through for a few years thinking I would get over the side effects. Ultimately I didn't think the benefits were worth the side effects. Everyone is different."

Romababy July 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "It help with less migraines but I lost a ton of weight I usually was at 130-135 but Topamax I was at 112-115. I never had an appetite"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2015