User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 41 medications

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 65 medications Not rated - Be the first
Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topamax reviews 336 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "Started 100mg at bedtime (in case of drowsiness) because I was waking up with 3 migraines/week. Later we added 25mg in the morning to prevent afternoon migraines. My headaches have gradually improved, not just in frequency but also in intensity. Only side effects have been weight loss (about 10-15 lb, and it seems to have levelled out there, which is fine; I'm a relatively small person) and paresthesia/tingles in my hands & face. Tingling is more frequent in cold weather, but it's not bad enough to make me quit, especially not with the benefits I'm experiencing. There's been a bit of research into its use for mood disorders, which I have. I'm on other meds for that, but I wonder if the topiramate is having any extra little benefit there."

eisley (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I am 19 year old active kid that exercises 4-6 times a week and suddenly after years of working out some migraines began in the gym that didn't go away for 3 months. All day everyday, constant migraines. I had to stop working out, got fat and lost all my gains. I started 25 mg topamax at the same time with chiropractic care (found in neck x-ray abnormal lordotic curve) and started treatment every week. A week later of both of these combined, the migraines are finally gone! but my head still throbs except with no pain.. I am just happy I can finally exercise again, and stop hating life. (Got CT Scan and MRI of head before X-ray of neck, was clear {checked neck because it got stiffer a month into migraines} ) NO SIDE EFFECTS! :-)"

jamesconley19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Topamax is truly a lifesaver I have been on this for many years now for migraine prevention, and I to would get the "pins and needles" tingle sinsation in hands and feet. I've found A daily multivitamin helps with that, and believe it or not, prenatal vitamins take it completely away. I hope this helps!"

Anonymous March 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax for quite a few months now, and I love it for the most part! I have only had the occasional minor headache, but the side effects are good/bad. The good ones in my book are the weight loss and carbonated beverages and other sweet things tasting horrible. The bad side effects are tingling, usually in my fingers and confusion/'blonde moments" but those are usually more pronounced the more tired I am. I can live with the bad side effects so much easier than I can a migraine everyday!"

Ladylisa1313 March 23, 2015

For Obesity "I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far."

momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I am 22 and have suffered from migraines since I was 11. I finally got a primary doctor who would actually listen to me, I was prescribed this medication. The first night I took it I felt nothing so I figured no side effects. The next day I still was in pain and took my medication that night I had a very severe reaction to it and was taken to the ER... I felt like I had a million bugs crawling through my skin and I couldn't see clearly. I have friends who this has worked for but for me it did not"

Rachel Marie (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have suffered from migraines for the past three years. I would wake up with a headache almost every single day and have a headache at least 27 days out of every month. I started taking just about a week ago and have only had one headache. I could not be any happier. I have had one strange side effect (a yeast infection), but that's a small price to pay for being headache free. I could not be happier."

Topamax is short of a miracle March 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I was on topamax for a month and lost 6lbs. I could handle the tingling in my hands and feet but I stopped taking it because my period never stopped! It started the day after my first dose and ended three days after I stopped taking topamax. I do have the birth control Implanon implanted in my arm. So maybe those drugs combined doesn't work well. I still had migraines but they weren't intense."

tytiannagreen0000000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on 50 mg of Topamax for a month now and it's changed everything for me. I went from having a headache every day for the past 2 years to not having a single one. I was skeptical at first because of the possibility of weight loss, as I am already very small. So far I have had no side effects. It truly has been a life saver."

Krista T. March 2, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Topamax saved my life! I'm currently on 25 mg and will go up if needed. I woke up every single day from a headache. It literally got to the point where I didn't want to wake up. The only side effect I had was nausea for about 3 days but it was gone after that. It took about a week to it to start working for me. I haven't been so happy in my entire life! Headaches controlled my life but not anymore!"

Heather Tillmann (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Life long migraines that were becoming more severe and frequent with age. I was getting up to 10 attacks per month and using Relpax to stop the pain. Doctor had me try Topamax 2x per day everyday. Attacks stopped immediately - it's been amazing. There have been some side effects that took time to get used to, but as compared to the migraine pain I would take the side effects any day. If you're a life long sufferer looking at a maintenance medicine, I would recommend trying it."

Westmichigan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax for about 2 months now. I've went to having a migraine or headache of some sort everyday to 2 migraines in the past 2 months. The only thing I dont like about the medication is the severe tingling in my hands, feet, fingers, and lips."

miramy February 19, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I suffer from migraines, high blood pressure headaches, nerve pain and occasional bouts of trigeminal neuralgia. Topamax is a god send, it stopped my headaches and trigeminal neuralgia after we had gone through every treatment and pill available with no result. I was close to suicide because of the amount of pain in my life when I tried topamax and it solved all of those issues. One thing I will say is that the side effect I got from it was pretty severe-I was unable to physically exert myself or else I would break out in cold sweats and feel very weak. I didn't realize it was the topamax for the longest time as it isn't listed as one of the major side effects, but I was so ill I wasn't exerting myself anyways."

Jwall1077 February 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Prescribed a half 50 mg tab at bedtime for a week. It's been two days and I have no more headaches! Finally! I have a strange side effect of pain in my private area though. Does anyone else have this issue? It's just annoying. I hope it doesn't get any worse. I've been looking for a migraine med that actually helps without too many side effects."

Blueearth February 5, 2015

For Seizure Prevention "I've been on and off Topamax for 20 years, works good and I've lost over 100lbs. Very good medicine. Also I've had five brain Surgerys in my life for seizures because mine was so bad now I'm down to maybe one every 3 years dry mouth a little bit but I rather have the dry mouth and be 100lbs lighter and able to drive and do things then to be off it and have only God knows how many seizures and not be able to drive."

Mr wild 1 January 29, 2015

For Obesity "I am extremely obese. My starting weight when I started taking Topamax was 289.0 lbs. I weighed myself every few days. I started for one week taking 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. Now I take 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening. Im also eating right veggies and fruits and snacks. This medication is making me lose at least 13 lbs since Jan. 5, 15 and today I'm 276.0 and its Jan. 19, 2015. in that short amount of time that's a good amount of weight to drop. So thank you Topamax!"

Steph6981 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax for almost 2 months now. My migraines were out of control and this has definitely helped them some and I'm extremely grateful for that. However, the side effects hit me really really hard! In the beginning, the pins and needles in my hands and feet were so, so bad. I would wake up in the middle of the night yelling about how bad my feet hurt, because they woke me up. I had trouble touching things and picking things up because of the pins and needles in my hands (and occasionally still do). And for a while I was really, really spacey and slurred a lot of words and couldn't hold a conversation or do much of anything. I go back to the doctor soon for my follow up appointment, so I guess we'll see what happens."

Swarren91 January 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks."

Hobotodd January 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started taking Topamax about two and 1/2 weeks ago. In that two weeks I've lost close to 10 pounds. I've also had the tingling in my fingers and feet and toes. I've gotten tingling in my lips too. Other then tingling body parts, so far I love it and Ive gone from headaches every day to maybe 4 really small ones and one migraine."

Kate1933 January 8, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I was prescribed this medicine for frequent migraines. The only bad experience I have had with it is a tingling sensation in my hands at times. It is not unbearable or any reason for me to stop taking the medication. I have been on the medication for a few months and have only had two migraines since I started the medicine."

Cris94 January 8, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I still get slight headaches once in a while, and use Excedrin Migraine with the Topamax, but its nothing compared to what I had. The side effects go away and the ones that don't, you get used to. I still have memory problems, so I had to lower the dose."

Crystal1414 January 4, 2015

For Obesity "I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too."

NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "We tried this for my daughter when she suddenly started getting migraines every day. Migraines down to 2 per week and less severe but when we tried increasing the dose side effects became intolerable: doesn't help her sleep at night yet makes her very tired all day, have to force her to eat, her legs tingle all the way up to her hip. She also has nightmares, and vivid dreams, even during the day. That was the last straw and we'll be trying something else. Real shame because we think it was helping."

Mom of a sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I fell four feet backwards off of a straight truck and whacked the back if my head off of a concrete parking lot and gave my self a concussion. Long story short, I have had a rough go at the post concussion symptoms and the migraine/cluster like headaches have played a MAJOR role. Theres days where I just lay around in the dark and do nothing. The pounding just takes over and that's all that matters. You are not even you anymore. I was prescribed Topamax on Nov.18th and started one week on 25mg. Nothing changed. Then two weeks on 50mg, again nothing changed. This is my third week on 100mg and I am FINALLY migraine free. The side effects do wear off after time. You just have to give this medicine time. Worth it."

Cherbear1987 December 22, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I started taking topamax a year ago and it helped with my visual migraines. I had the side affects such as; delayed speech, confusion, numbness, carbonated drinks are horrible tasting, dizziness, all the normal side affects... But they only lasted a few weeks. I'm at 100mg a day now, 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Now the side effects don't bother me at all. I haven't lost not one pound so I'm not sure what the weight loss is about. I actually gained 10! Overall its doing its purpose."

melodie143 December 19, 2014