User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is day 2 taking this med. It makes me very queasy and very tired. The nausea and tiredness start about 30 minutes after I take one, and seem to last for 6 or 7 hours. I try to take it with food, but I don't have much appetite (not gonna be mad about that tho). The uti seems pretty much gone, but I'm also taking Azo."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

"Okay took it for a week and broke out in hives and then stopped and put on steroids and now have burning sensation on skin! I hope that. Other meds get out of body soon"

Cocbean May 25, 2016

"I started taking sulfamethoxazole on my third day of having a UTI for the second time in my life and the first two days I was taking cranberry pills and drinking tons of cranberry juice and water, so by the time I started the antibiotics I was almost already healed. The first day I took sulfamethoxazole I felt my heart racing all day and at night it continued and I couldn't sleep until 4. Same thing went on for the next few days except it got worse and I would just lay in bed with my heart racing until 6 in the morning. I stopped taking the antibiotics after 4 days because my UTI went away but my heart wouldn't stop racing and I ended up suffering from insomnia for about 2 weeks. It is because of this antibiotic bc I've never had this issue"

allyzick (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Never again, first 10'days macrobid. Still had infection. Put me on bactrim. I was so sick after day 5. I missed 7 days of work, I think 10 days was to much. Had loose poop, neasea every day, dizzy, loss 7 lbs in 7 days and the worst was the dry eyes and mouth. I felt like poo. I thought I would end up in hospital. It even made me depressed! Never again!"

myuti (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This was amazing! I had my first UTI this morning I had frequency and irritation after I urinated. I took Bactrum about an hour ago and I'm was in so much pain until a couple minutes age when the medicine kicked in! I feel so much relief and I have less urge to go! UTIs are terrible and I'm so sorry for everyone who has gotten one but I'm also glad that there is medication to treat it and that it works this fast!!!"

Lizzie12345 May 7, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am the type of person who is sensitive to chemicals, smells, sounds, etc. I rarely need meds and recently had to take bactrim ds for five days due to a UTI. I was sooo nervous about taking it. I was convinced I would be allergic to it, or at least have side affects. Well, all that worrying was for nothing. I took it as prescribed for five days with no problem at all! I hope you do well on it too if you need it!"

Patun1a (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

"I gave it a 2 star rating. 1 star more than I planned and that's because it worked but too many side affects that were exasperating to deal with. It lowered my blood sugar and I was having to constantly combat the affects. Headaches, aches and pains, and lastly constipation. I didn't have a bm for 4 straight days. I usually have 1/day."

Gigi 2016 May 4, 2016

"I had this medication about a month ago with no side effects. This time I have theeee worst nausea and headaches. I did take it on an empty stomach and I took excedrin. My birthday is in 1 week. And I can't drink while on it. It's my 21st btw"

Anonymous May 1, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I put my self on Bactrim thanks to the internet, 3 or 4 years hematuria,dr, say mild infection ok keflix.,Cipro.macrodantin.rucefin,not sure of spelling none worked. Bactrim seems to have nailed but will wait and see, took for 12 days no side effect at all. old school is better,than the new all all purpose meds , here's hoping"

wright 1 April 14, 2016

"I had bad abdominal pain under my naval and sharp dull pains in my pelvic area for what seems a good week or so. Took a UTI test at home, and came back as a possible UTI. Called the doctor and she put me on Cipro, all in all. After the first day, I was having chest pains in my left side and in the middle that were constant and wouldn't go away. I switched from Cipro to Sulfamethoxazole, and all my symptoms from before taking any medication have gone away. Except I've been peeing a WHOLE lot, I've had a loss in appetite, and I have felt nauseous and bad headaches. Little to no back pain, unless the usual, sitting for too long."

Lexie O April 12, 2016

"I am on my first day of this pill treating a uti...i got the worse migraine ever..took excedrin to rid the pain..i am still feeling abdominal discomfort but will continue this 5 day treatment..cipro worked for me many years ago...i should have used that"

Anonymous March 31, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"I went to the ER for pain in my lower back & my stomach. The Dr said I had an UTI which I didn't think that was the case cause I didn't have the symptoms of a UTI. Anyways, I started using the pills (Antibiotics) & about an hour of using it I felt nauseas, dizzy & started vomiting,itch all over my body & also I lost my appetite. I throw the pills away, I don't recommend them at all. I never have been allergic to any medication in my life."

Luz M. March 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

"I took this medication for a uti i had, it helped but after the 3rd day out of a 7 day dosage I started to get a rash under both my armpits and it started to burn when I would pee which it was suppose to fix."

Anonymous February 26, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim doesn't seem to help, have a UTI and Dr put me on Bactrim, even after I told him it didn't work for me in the past. Been on it for a week and I can barely urinate. (Cipro has worked well for me). Now the Dr. wants me to make another office visit, because he gave me an antibiotic that I told him has not worked for me in the past. I asked him to call in a script for Cipro, he won't. He is convinced that if Bactrim didn't work, I need another visit. So now I have to pay for another visit. I almost always test negative for UTI, which makes me wonder how inclusive their culture test is. Anyway, ask for Cipro if Bactrim doesn't work."

not cured February 20, 2016

"I had a UTI with a MRSA on my face. I was given the drug for both. First mistake I went to FL and was under sun exposure which I didn't know is dangerous. Was ok with acidophilis too. Day 8 of Bactrim I developed vaginal bleeding but made no connection. Day 9 I stopped it. And day 10 I was blown up in hives, severe body rash, terrible chill w hi fever and a severe migraine attack. I was livid. They scared me to death. I felt I was dying. I was on Benadryl for 24 hours and started getting better. But the next day the MRSA WAS BACK. I nearly lost it! Obviously It was a terrible allergic reaction but my dr was hesitant as it occured after day 9 as opposed to his textbooks of day 2 or 3. As of now The bleeding has only subsided.Its 10 days since"

Anonymous February 16, 2016

"I had a UTI with a MRCA on my face. I was given the drug for both. First mistake I went to FL and was under sun exposure which i didnt know is dangerous. Was ok with acidophilis too. Day 8 of Bactrim i developed vaginal bleeding but made no connection. Day 9 i stopped it. And day 10 i was blown up in hives, severe body rash, terrible chill w hi fever and a severe migrane attack. I was livid. They scared me to death. I felt i was dying. I was on Benadryl for 24 hours and started getting better. But the next day the MRSA WAS BACK. I nearly lost it! Obviously It was a terrible allergic reaction but my dr was hesitant as it occured aftr day 9 as opposed to his textbooks of day 2 or 3. As of now The bleeding has only subsided.Its 10 days since"

Halli February 16, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "They prescribed bactrim to me, worst thing ever ended up in the hospital body Aches , fever , insomnia ... & went to hospital ended up with a low blood count ran all kinds of tests it was just awful I will never take this again & it's been about a month & I'm still not 100% better I will never take this ever again!"

Desti (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"I've been on a vicious cycle of UTI and yeast infections since November and the past 2 weeks have been place on 3 different antibiotics. I woke up yesterday with bladder and back pain and was prescribed this medication. I've taken it twice now and my back pain is worse than ever."

Ellspow February 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been on bactrim for the last 3 days and on the fourth pill and its done nothing for me"

Karen Willerbee February 3, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm currently on bactrim, first day taking the medication and I saw an immediate difference. My Uti's are horrible, I'm normally awaken from my sleep, as they hurt that bad. I'm up for hours on hours sitting on the toilet due to the urge. Bactrim is helping this a lot. Also I see a lot of people are feeling sick while taking this medicine, my doctor recommends that I take the medicine with food, hope this helps you guys in the future if you're experiencing sickness."

Jai Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I went to the Dr and was prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. I initially took it on a empty stomach which was a mistake. Taking it with food, even crackers, prevents nausea, and most other side effects. I am on my 3rd full day of taking it and I have no relief from my symptoms. I'm waiting for my culture to come back and will call my Dr for something else if necessary."

MLongRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

"When I started this medication everything was absolutely fine for the 1st two days, no side effects and I thought all was good, then on the 3rd day, (4 pills) I woke very early with the worst stomach pain and diarrhoea, I also felt nauseous and dizzy, I went to work as I was well aware of the side effects and tried to soldier on, I made it till about 2pm, another bout of diarrhoea followed by extreme nausea, I called the doctor and now have an appointment to swap antibiotics, still feeling slight signs of the side effects but it's only been 24 hours so I'm guessing it's still passing, fingers crossed the new stuff works better"

Rich0987 January 20, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had a uti for about a month. I was on Cipro for 10 days and Bactrim for 10 days. I went for a urinalysis and was prescribed Bactrim. I have only been taking it for 3 days and am already starting to feel way better. The only downside is that I've noticed that my urine is very smelly and brightly colored. I'm hoping that I feel back to my normal self within the next few days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016