User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 302 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I've been on a vicious cycle of UTI and yeast infections since November and the past 2 weeks have been place on 3 different antibiotics. I woke up yesterday with bladder and back pain and was prescribed this medication. I've taken it twice now and my back pain is worse than ever."

Ellspow February 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been on bactrim for the last 3 days and on the fourth pill and its done nothing for me"

Karen Willerbee February 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I went to the Dr and was prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. I initially took it on a empty stomach which was a mistake. Taking it with food, even crackers, prevents nausea, and most other side effects. I am on my 3rd full day of taking it and I have no relief from my symptoms. I'm waiting for my culture to come back and will call my Dr for something else if necessary."

MLongRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

"When I started this medication everything was absolutely fine for the 1st two days, no side effects and I thought all was good, then on the 3rd day, (4 pills) I woke very early with the worst stomach pain and diarrhoea, I also felt nauseous and dizzy, I went to work as I was well aware of the side effects and tried to soldier on, I made it till about 2pm, another bout of diarrhoea followed by extreme nausea, I called the doctor and now have an appointment to swap antibiotics, still feeling slight signs of the side effects but it's only been 24 hours so I'm guessing it's still passing, fingers crossed the new stuff works better"

Rich0987 January 20, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Made me very sick"

Tee Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"I%u2018m half way through the course of tablets for a UTI. Never again do I want to take this drug. Had migraines from hell every single day since starting the treatment. After a really bad migraine today, I got suspicious this antibiotic might be trigger. I don%u2018t know what to do. I don%u2018t want to take another day of it. Today I had to take 100 mg of sumatriptan to get rid of a migraine. I had a UTI a few months ago and a different doctor gave me another antibiotic that didn%u2018t give me the headaches from hell. But stopping antibiotics before you finish your course leads to antibiotics resistance. But since I had migraines 5 days in a row I%u2018m not going to take another tablet!"

Mimity (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"Today is my second day on this RX to treat my uti. Urgency and burning come and go along with any other pain related to a UTI. I am experiencing dizziness and a very sore throat, which is very uncomfortable, I think this drug is ok for treating UTI's."

Jusaly December 30, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Knocked UTI symptoms out effectively after the first 24 hours. However, the side effects were not pleasant and were very noticeable: headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headed, weakness, sweating, dry mouth, excessive thirst, tiredness. I'm on day 3 and have asked the doc to switch me to something else so I can function better at home and work. Trying Cipro. Be sure to drink water constantly when on Bactrim DS."

sparriott (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Was on cipro for a week but no relief so my doctor switched me to this drug. Felt relief within 72 hours. I had extreme nausea and a headache the first day I took this drug but then I started to take it with meals and I haven't had those side effects."

Anon22222 December 27, 2015

"I started taking this medicine for a UTI that was awful. This is my first UTI and I'm 18. I'm on day 3 now and it seems like the side effects from the pills are way worse than the actual UTI. I'm reading all the other reviews and the medicine has made me nauseous but it's also giving me really bad abdominal pain and sharp pain in my ribs along with feeling really dizzy and hot( especially at work) hoping It doesn't get worse as I take it"

Nonamefemale December 22, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am in my second uti this month. I went to the doctor the first time and was prescribed macrobid and my uti came back in two weeks. Now I'm on Bactrim and it seems to work really well minus the headaches. I like it the a lot better and I feel like it's actually gone now"

Red93 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim for a very painful UTI that I could not flush out naturally with water and cranberry. My UTI pain subsided after about 5 hours of the first dose of Bactrim which is great. However, the side effects are not so pleasant. I have had chills, mild diarrhea, vivid nightmares/dreams and extreme migraines. I am on day 3 of a 7 day prescription, but I am contemplating stopping after day 4 or 5 if the side effects continue. The side effects are still not as bad as the UTI pain!"

Anonymous December 16, 2015

"On this drug now and I feel awful! Was seriously considering going to ER. I have extreme nausea, tingling in my hands, dizziness, stomach pain, sore throat and my eyes are red and dry. I will never take this again for a UTI."

Hate this medicine December 13, 2015

"I only took it for a day before I was bringing up acid and blood"

Lol12344 December 2, 2015

"Had bloody urine, started this drug for bacterial infection, day 2 on drug. I take Kefir (yoghurt drink probiotic) and also a supplement called D-Mannose to help clear out bacteria from urinary tract. Can not take Cipro (tendon and joint pain lasting a year after) and allergic to many antibiotics. Having problem urinating now, 3 days to go. I have fewer side effects taking probiotics during and months after. New reports say women need lower doses of all meds, and over 60 need lower doses. As female over 60 would have broken pills in half (without doctor's ok) but could not get them to break. Urine has cleared up already - usually call pharmacist for info on problems."

Lassie49 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "only took the medication for 5 days, had read about it online after being prescribed it and got really worried at all the awful side affects. I experienced nausea and headaches and slight itchiness while on it and was glad to finally get off of it. It is my 3rd day off of it and the itching has got worse and all over now. I only have a few tiny redish bumps though and I am experiencing anxiety on and off randomly and just feel weird and have also caught a cold (sore throat/cough). will never take this medication ever again and I severely advise against it."

e6 November 29, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Im currently taking bactrim for a UTI. It relieved my symptoms rather quickly however the side effects are really bothering me. I've had the most painful migraines since taking it yesterday. I also have the chills and slight nausea. I wont take this medicine ever again once I finish it. The constant painful headaches are not worth it."

Hshhs November 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I suffer with regular UTI's due to a chronic pelvic prolapse I can't get anyone to take seriously. Since having a hysterectomy and estrogen-suppression therapy for adjuvant therapy for cancer the UTI's have worsened. Bactrim does have side effects, but since I can't take Macrobid, I'm stuck with this or Cipro. I'm starting to think I'm developing a resistant strain of infection, but the Bactrim seems to take care of it."

IDunnoWho November 22, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this for a UTI and I had horrible side effects. I could not sleep, extremely dizzy and nauseated, constipated, and had bad indigestion. I lost my appetite and was vomiting acid."

-A November 16, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took Bactrim and I had no side effects. Bactrim worked for me. It definitely took the burning feeling away..... Also the cloudy and different smelling urine left."

Che rol (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Having a horrible experience on Bactrim. This antibiotic should come with a warning label. Urinary symptoms have not been relieved yet (going on 3rd day). Experiencing severe nausea and diarrhea. Zofran helps somewhat. I don't know that I can continue this medication for 3 more days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been taking bactrim now for about a week n a half for a uti, and mrsa. I am sure it's workin because the kidney pain has subsided however the nausea is so crucial it's like the worst nausea I've ever had in my life. Not to mention headache and chills. Ugh I don't know if it's worth it"

flores1413 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "So, I wanted to review this drug because I've been on five antibiotic treatments within the last month and a half for the craziest UTI I've ever experienced in my life. Landed in the ER for fevers and pain and worst was the mental confusion.... Anyways, during this time I've been on IV antibiotics, Z pak as well as Keflex, which gave me horrible anxiety and extreme photo sensitivity. When I tried levaquin, it sent me to the ER. Then finally bactrim DS was prescribed. After taking it the first night I did have some trouble sleeping but after two doses of the medication I did adjust. I have been taking probiotics with these meds. It's helped overall. Side effects I noted vivid dreams, fatigue, and constipation were the main three."

Leahjaybee123 October 30, 2015

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "After the 5th pill side effects were horrendous. Slight right side facial weekness, shaking, confused and nearly paralyzed from the right shoulder thru my neck. I asked the pharmacists if there was anything I should know before taking this drug, he told me no."

Side effect October 23, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Had no negative side effects. Got rid of my UTI fast."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015