User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Review Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 288 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"When I went to the doc, I had been experiencing the UTI for like a day before. A week before that, I actually had one, but my grandmother gave me cephalexin (one every 12 hrs for 2 days) and it seemed to work.. But since it was only enough for two days, I guess it decided to come back. My doc tested me for a UTI and gave me this sulfa drug, and it worked for one day. Thats it. I've read these reviews and if you go see the doc, ask him/her about taking your urine sample to a lab. My doc told me to do this so she could use the results to put me on an antibiotic that targets the exact bacteria my body is dealing with. This sulfa drug is the general drug. I highly recommend getting the lab test in case the sulfa prescription doesn't work for you."

Emmaleekaye3 August 30, 2015

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Makes me extremely nauseated. Cannot tolerate it. Have had multiple UTI's and septra sometimes doesn't get rid of the infection all the way. Causes insomnia and almost confusion."

Mt.Lady August 23, 2015

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Cleared infection right away but had to stop medicine early because of all of the side effects I had from this. 4 days later,still having some of the effects. Not sure how long the effects will last,but I never want to feel this bad again"

cristi7294 August 19, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm 21 years old with my first UTI. My symptoms started on Saturday (constant urge to go, lower abdominal pressure/cramps, and an extremely uncomfortable urge to continue voiding even after I was done, and dark yellow/brown urine) went to the doctor yesterday(Wednesday) and was prescribed a 7 day prescription to bactrim. My symptoms seemed to dissipate within hours (was still feeling them just not as severe) I've taken 3 doses and all my symptoms have stopped and I can have full voids. Not feeling any side effects From the medication, but glad to be feeling better. Urine was still sent in for a culture. Been drinking lots of cranberry juice and water at my doctors recommendation to "flush" everything out. Feel much better"

Apbeaeryl August 13, 2015

"Day 1. just took one pill in the evening and after 1-2 hours I had high fever, big big headaches like some one hit me with the bat. Lost of appetite. Day 2. Morning get really tired and headaches getting better. And took second pill in the evening. The big headaches came back and dizzy. Try to sleep as much as possible. Day 3 woke up still with headaches and nausea. Skin in my hand is peeling and developed diarrhea I won't continue the medicine due to much side effect. Much more I don't even remember."

Nui. Nina (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

"Relieved UTI symptoms fast but after day 2 of taking pills two times a day I woke up in the middle of the night with a killer headache! Painkillers did not help one bit to relieve the migraine. Symptoms currently are migraine, nauseous, vomiting, neck and back stiffness, fever with chills, muscle aches, diarrhea and it hurts so bad to even move my eyes. I just may be allergic or "sensitive" to this antibiotic but even though my doctor said to keep taking it I don't know if it is worth it, especially if it will continue symptoms mentioned."

AMT2 August 7, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this medicine for 3 days and experienced severe nausea. Been off of it for 1 and I'm still experiencing it off and on. It feels horrible. I will never take this medicine again. I must be allergic to it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015

"I've had a very long history of UTI's. I'm 15 & I usually have a really bad urgency to pee, bloody urine & unbearable burning in my bladder. My doctor usually describes Bactrim & say I take it @ 4pm I won't have anymore symptoms at maybe 6pm. BUT I do lose my appetite, & I feel bloated with bad cramps. I don't care just as long as it gets rid of the UTI."

Anonymous July 5, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim helped with my bladder infection symptoms, but I have had the worst headache for three days straight from it. It hurts so bad that I've been nauseous. I hope I never have to take this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Broke me out in a horrendous rash (apparently I am allergic to sulfa drugs) and had to take a steroid for 5 days to get rid of it. And still had the UTI infection on top of it"

B765 July 4, 2015

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am on the 5th day of my UTI. The pressure and bearing down while urinating is similar to labor pains. I'm out of state and visited an Urgent Care Center. The NP prescribed the generic Bactrim. I went back to the Urgent Care Center after 4 days and she gave me 3 more days of the SMZ -TMP DS. I told her my symptoms were the same as my initial visit. Promised that infection would clear with the additional pills in addition to AZO , an over the counter pill to relieve the pressure. It's now day 5 and I feel like I'm on day 1. This medication is doing NOTHING for me. It's Friday and I'm sure I will be visiting another Dr. on Monday. I just want to feel like myself again. "

Jrzgirl July 3, 2015

"Stupid rash all over to treat mild UTI symptoms. I'm stopping the medications because this rash is just getting worse."

Anonymous June 28, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was given a 10 day course of bactrim. I made through 2.5 days before going back to the doctor. I had severe diarrhea. I was going every 15 minutes and wasn't able to sleep. It seemed to help my uti symptoms, but I almost ended up in the hospital. Now I'm prescribed cipro when I get a uti."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

"I have had reoccurring uti's since I was about 16 so I've always taken bactrim and it has been very successful, I am currently taking bactrim as I woke this morning with a uti so bad it made my body sweat and shake. I can already feel some relief but I'm definitely going to keep taking it. Also try to get comfortable and not think about it so much the less you think about it the less it'll bother you. Good luck"

Mustangboss305 June 6, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "this treatment is the best to kill any bacteria in your body I treat my urine tract infection,star taking the medication 5 pm by 9 pm was a relieve no pain at all and be able to urinate with out any discomfort always you have to fallow up all step after this treatment ,drink lots of water,very happy no upset stomach at all."

Gatito May 27, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am barley able to WRITE THIS!!!... SOO ITCHY!! MY ENTIRE BODY IS COVERED IN GODDAMN RASHES THAT ARENT GOING AWAY AND ARE ITCHY AS HELL HEAD TO FING TOE..."

Chillic May 10, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Was prescribed Bactrim by a walk in clinic. Shoulda known better. After 2 days, I experienced some awful side affects - chills, fevers, night sweats, insomnia, diarrhea, and migraines - for three days. I thought I was going to die. After I finished my prescription, I got this terrible head to toe rash that itches like crazy. My UTI is gone but it was not worth the rash and three days of near death. Does anyone know what I can do for this rash?"

Elle K (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I took this antibiotic after trying Cipro, which was too strong for me. After finishing the 4 days I was on them for, my UTI was still present. Some days it was even worse. This antibiotic didn't work to get rid of my infection, even though the doctor claimed my urine in the lab was responsive to it. Not to mention these pills gave me god awful headaches and insomnia. Overall it lessened the burning and stinging and smell, but didn't clear my infection."

Andreana33 May 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm having the worst gastrointestinal problems and I'm only on day 3/7. I have extremely constipated, I have gas and bloating and I have nausea right after I take the pill."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is definitely my favourite medicine to treat urinary tract infections. I have a longstanding history with UTI's, one even sent me to the ER. The best part about this medicine is that it works quickly and feel relief within the first dose, which is great. I tried nitrofurantin once and absolutely hated it because of side effects & will stick with this. Luckily I've never experienced any negative side effects & I've taken with and without food. No nausea, nothing! It's definitely a hefty sized pill though."

CB1992 April 21, 2015

"Took this medication for a UTI I was experiencing for about 4 weeks prior... Had enough so went to my GP. The first night approx 2-3 hours after taking it at 7pm, I had terrible stomach cramps, bloating nausea. Also seemed to get an associated headache and am not feeling hungry, have lost my appetite which is very unusual for me. Just took my third dose each time I've had the same cramps and abdominal discomfort painful sick sensations.. That last about 5-6 hours. Luckily I've had night shift for 3 nights, but now I have to be up early in the morning and hoping the pains don't keep me awake!! As for effectiveness, not certain yet. But my UTI symptoms appear to be relieved this far."

Nancaz (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It's my 4th day on Bactrim and it has not been great. I feel better from the overall symptoms but I've been fatigued and super groggy and for the first day I had a horrible headache. I keep feeling my heart pounding in my head and ears, but I agree with pretty much everyone else on here, the symptoms from the cure are better than the symptoms of my bladder/kidney infection. I've got 6 more days... Is it effective? Yes. Is it an enjoyable experience? No."

y1223445 March 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took a form of this medication a couple of years ago (Septra, which has the same ingredients) and it cleared up my UTI, although I thought it was a little slow to fully work. So when I got a UTI about a week ago suddenly, I asked my doc to prescribe it for me again, only this time it was Bactrim. I'm funny with antibiotics, I don't like taking them and I have a very sensitive stomach, so I like to stick with what works. Took it again this time, and noticed my symptoms improved, then got bad again. I had two side effects this time, loss of appetite and jittery feeling. I went back to my doc and my urine sample still showed white blood cells, so they sent my sample out to be cultured for a better prescription. It helped but didn't cure it."

DeeAW2010 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It didn't work it gave me a cold and headaches and severe cough and a yeast infection, it's day 7 of 10 and I have NO RELEIF. I do not recommend this. Maybe it just doesn't work for me I don't know. I don't think I'd ever use it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "it is important to know medications affect everyone differently Your genetic chemical makeup is not the same as sue or bill. FYI you are encouraged to drink lots of water when taking Bactrim not everyone will have the same symptoms it is a sulfa drug so if you have an allergy to Sulfa drugs then you might want to tell your doctor let him know and they can prescribe you something else only thing I've had symptom wise with bactrim is a headache and ibuprofen will normally help with the body aches and headache but if you are having any adverse reaction it's a good idea to let your physician or pharmacy know. Zofran is good for nausea and benedryl may be effective with hives or rash but if you have any concerns please consult a medical profes"

kimberlyjaex (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2015