User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Review Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 315 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "this treatment is the best to kill any bacteria in your body I treat my urine tract infection,star taking the medication 5 pm by 9 pm was a relieve no pain at all and be able to urinate with out any discomfort always you have to fallow up all step after this treatment ,drink lots of water,very happy no upset stomach at all."

Gatito May 27, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am barley able to WRITE THIS!!!... SOO ITCHY!! MY ENTIRE BODY IS COVERED IN GODDAMN RASHES THAT ARENT GOING AWAY AND ARE ITCHY AS HELL HEAD TO FING TOE..."

Chillic May 10, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Was prescribed Bactrim by a walk in clinic. Shoulda known better. After 2 days, I experienced some awful side affects - chills, fevers, night sweats, insomnia, diarrhea, and migraines - for three days. I thought I was going to die. After I finished my prescription, I got this terrible head to toe rash that itches like crazy. My UTI is gone but it was not worth the rash and three days of near death. Does anyone know what I can do for this rash?"

Elle K (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I took this antibiotic after trying Cipro, which was too strong for me. After finishing the 4 days I was on them for, my UTI was still present. Some days it was even worse. This antibiotic didn't work to get rid of my infection, even though the doctor claimed my urine in the lab was responsive to it. Not to mention these pills gave me god awful headaches and insomnia. Overall it lessened the burning and stinging and smell, but didn't clear my infection."

Andreana33 May 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm having the worst gastrointestinal problems and I'm only on day 3/7. I have extremely constipated, I have gas and bloating and I have nausea right after I take the pill."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is definitely my favourite medicine to treat urinary tract infections. I have a longstanding history with UTI's, one even sent me to the ER. The best part about this medicine is that it works quickly and feel relief within the first dose, which is great. I tried nitrofurantin once and absolutely hated it because of side effects & will stick with this. Luckily I've never experienced any negative side effects & I've taken with and without food. No nausea, nothing! It's definitely a hefty sized pill though."

CB1992 April 21, 2015

"Took this medication for a UTI I was experiencing for about 4 weeks prior... Had enough so went to my GP. The first night approx 2-3 hours after taking it at 7pm, I had terrible stomach cramps, bloating nausea. Also seemed to get an associated headache and am not feeling hungry, have lost my appetite which is very unusual for me. Just took my third dose each time I've had the same cramps and abdominal discomfort painful sick sensations.. That last about 5-6 hours. Luckily I've had night shift for 3 nights, but now I have to be up early in the morning and hoping the pains don't keep me awake!! As for effectiveness, not certain yet. But my UTI symptoms appear to be relieved this far."

Nancaz (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It's my 4th day on Bactrim and it has not been great. I feel better from the overall symptoms but I've been fatigued and super groggy and for the first day I had a horrible headache. I keep feeling my heart pounding in my head and ears, but I agree with pretty much everyone else on here, the symptoms from the cure are better than the symptoms of my bladder/kidney infection. I've got 6 more days... Is it effective? Yes. Is it an enjoyable experience? No."

y1223445 March 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took a form of this medication a couple of years ago (Septra, which has the same ingredients) and it cleared up my UTI, although I thought it was a little slow to fully work. So when I got a UTI about a week ago suddenly, I asked my doc to prescribe it for me again, only this time it was Bactrim. I'm funny with antibiotics, I don't like taking them and I have a very sensitive stomach, so I like to stick with what works. Took it again this time, and noticed my symptoms improved, then got bad again. I had two side effects this time, loss of appetite and jittery feeling. I went back to my doc and my urine sample still showed white blood cells, so they sent my sample out to be cultured for a better prescription. It helped but didn't cure it."

DeeAW2010 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It didn't work it gave me a cold and headaches and severe cough and a yeast infection, it's day 7 of 10 and I have NO RELEIF. I do not recommend this. Maybe it just doesn't work for me I don't know. I don't think I'd ever use it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "it is important to know medications affect everyone differently Your genetic chemical makeup is not the same as sue or bill. FYI you are encouraged to drink lots of water when taking Bactrim not everyone will have the same symptoms it is a sulfa drug so if you have an allergy to Sulfa drugs then you might want to tell your doctor let him know and they can prescribe you something else only thing I've had symptom wise with bactrim is a headache and ibuprofen will normally help with the body aches and headache but if you are having any adverse reaction it's a good idea to let your physician or pharmacy know. Zofran is good for nausea and benedryl may be effective with hives or rash but if you have any concerns please consult a medical profes"

kimberlyjaex (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have had these urinary tract infections and the only thing that works quickly is the Bactrim DS. It works in a matter of days. Side effects are different for everyone but as mild as mine have been I would choose this over any other antibiotic. Very happy! Make sure that you always take the full dose and the whole bottle as prescribed even though it feels like it's going away. best wishes!"

Mustang girl (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This medication has worked for me for so many yrs. when I take the 2nd. dose, I feel no pain while urinating! I recommend this "highly"!"

shilonputty February 18, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Something really bad happened to me 14 years ago that caused trauma to the urinary tract. Ever since I have used Bactrim on a regular basis to flush out my bladder and urethra of bacteria because my body does not do a sufficient job through urination. If you take it on an empty stomach, it will make you feel really sick, but the medicine is awesome and I highly recommend it."

Superstar11111 January 7, 2015

"I just recently experienced my first urinary tract infection. I was on Cipro for 3 days and I thought it cleared up. But symptoms got worse within a couple days after I had stopped the Cipro. I was then prescribed sulfa... After 45 minutes within taking this pill I got terrible cramps, to the point where I couldn't even sit in a certain position or drive myself home. The second time, same thing. I have yet to take my third dose, but I'm honestly scared and annoyed that I'm probably going to have to go through the cramping again. Although, I must admit, after the first pill I feel my UTI is gone, but just to be safe I'm going to take it for one more day. I didn't throw up or anything, I did experience nausea but I made mint tea and that calmed my stomach."

Sykad (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "For those that are experiencing headaches and nausea, drink a glass of milk before taking Bactrim. This always works for me."

Rhiannoncat December 22, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This made my very sick to my stomach. I couldn't even finish the bottle. I stopped the day before yesterday and still have severe nausea and insomnia. I just want to feel better!"

Sorbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2014

"Took this medication for my UTI and on the 3rd day it gave me a very bad yeast infection."

L3 November 9, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It's currently 12:30am, and I'm wide awake on a school night typing this. I didn't exactly have all the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, but always have the urgency to pee. I went to urgent care, and the doctor prescribed me Bactrim. I've been on it for 3 days (today will be my 4th), and I have yet to see results. According to some of you, it doesn't start working until the 5th day, which still gives me hope since the doctor told me it would work within 2 days. What I have been seeing is nausea, diarrhea, shakiness, insomnia, extreme headaches, and loss of appetite. I really hope this works. The constant urge to pee pretty much ruins what little social life I have. Having to make constant trips to the bathroom doesn't fit well with football games."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have reoccuring UTI's and have taken several different antibiotics for them. I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS. After taking the second pill, the aching, pain and soreness was almost gone. It works better for me than Cipro, but you should always have a urine culture to be sure which antibiotic is best for you. Fortunately, I haven't had any terrible side effects. The only side effect is feeling a bit fatiqued a few hours after taking Bactrim."

SmokyMtnWoman (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2014

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Based on results of a urine culture, I was put on this medication. I have taken 4 pills. While at work today, my tongue was feeling like I just took a big bite of piping hot pizza. The burning feeling was quite intense and I had not eaten anything that might have caused this. I also had numbness of my lips. The last pill I took was at 7:30 am and I still have intense burning and a bit of numbness. I was puzzled and decided to look up side effects of this new medication because it was the only thing newly exposed to my body. Since these problems were listed in your side effects listing, I will immediately discontinue using it."

Kathy Turner (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Worked after one dose. High dose of 3 strong pills once only. But today I feel lightheaded, dizzy and low appetite."

no name n September 24, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I ended up with a urinary tract infection due to my diabetes. My PA prescribed Bactrim and I have not experienced any side effects. The burning and urge to urinate, but even after 2 days still feel like the bladder was not emptied. It is day 5 and I noticed some discoloration in urine in the morning hours. I take it that is due to some bleeding. It went back to clear yellow tonight. I am carefully completing the course of this medication and hope it works for others like it has for me. I feel great!"

Mr. Happy (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2014

"Cleared up the infection pretty fast but - 3rd day in and really faint, shakes and fast heart rate. Definitely not a good reaction to this."

Hope90 September 18, 2014

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've taken Septra DS before (with no side effects), but for some reason this time it is different! It has given me severe insomnia!! Very odd and super frustrating. Also has caused me a lot of nausea but doctor prescribed Zofran (also known as the miracle medicine for nausea), so that's better. Also feel a bit "out of it" and lethargic. One last strange symptom it's causing me is "urinary hesitancy." Had no idea there was such a thing until I spoke to my dr about it. Hoping these symptoms resolve or I may need to switch medicines, as only half way through this 10-day treatment."

Jlynnie (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2014