User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by no name n:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Worked after one dose. High dose of 3 strong pills once only. But today I feel lightheaded, dizzy and low appetite.

September 24, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by Hope90:

Cleared up the infection pretty fast but - 3rd day in and really faint, shakes and fast heart rate. Definitely not a good reaction to this.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by Jlynnie (taken for less than 1 month):

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I've taken Septra DS before (with no side effects), but for some reason this time it is different! It has given me severe insomnia!! Very odd and super frustrating. Also has caused me a lot of nausea but doctor prescribed Zofran (also known as the miracle medicine for nausea), so that's better. Also feel a bit "out of it" and lethargic. One last strange symptom it's causing me is "urinary hesitancy." Had no idea there was such a thing until I spoke to my dr about it. Hoping these symptoms resolve or I may need to switch medicines, as only half way through this 10-day treatment.

September 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Maggibella:

I get UTI's all the time, they always give me this. Unfortunately with taking this medication I've gotten a lot of lower back pain, vomitting, and muscle weakness. It also takes a couple days for the pain to go away and the medicine to kick in. Thankfully, it clears up the UTI within 5/7 days.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by ms. too:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Taken this medicine for urinary tract infection. Pain stopped after taking medicine 1 day. Side effects on day 3 horrible. ..weakness, bad nausea, lightheaded, loss of appetite, and headache.

August 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by yasghahremani (taken for less than 1 month):

Awful. Went to A E and was prescribed these. Ended up back in hospital a week later because these hadn't even touched me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by anonnn:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Seemed to clear up my infection, but started feeling nauseous the next day. Steadily got worse each day. On the fourth day developed a severe headache but slept it off. Doctor instructed me to stop taking it. Experienced severely high blood pressure. Also made my abdominal muscles feel weak

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 5:07 PM

Review by mumtaj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My baby is taking this from day of 4 after he was born. He always seems to be restless, uncomfortable, grunting sounds, spitting more than usual, motion problems, not constipated but difficulty in going poop, straining a lot.

June 17, 2014 8:08 AM

Review by Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I used to get recurrent urinary tract infections but hadn't had one in 7 years. Just got one and they tried nitrofurantonin but it did nothing. I got Bactrim and the urgency and burning was gone within hours. I don't like taking antibiotics but UTIs are no joke. Bactrim worked for me and thank goodness. I get a little stomach ache but it beats the UTI symptoms!

June 11, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by JessG:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Felt mild relief, Doc said it should be gone in 3 days gave me enough to take it for 5 days in case it was not gone. I also experienced fevers and achiness. Not pleasant. Everyday I had discomfort and today I am out of it and feel terrible with my urinary tract symptoms again.

May 19, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by KittyBee:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I was prescribed Bactrim and felt worse right away. After reading the side effects, I told myself that what I was feeling was normal. I took the prescribed dosage (2 per day) for 5 days, feeling even worst on the 5th day - shaky, diarrhea, headache, nervousness, unable to sleep. Then after some research, I discovered that there also were interaction side effects with my blood pressure medications.

May 10, 2014 10:35 AM

Review by taleeuh1:

I took this medicine after having many urinary tract infections in the past year. I usually am prescribed CIPRO but this time the nurse at the minute clinic CVS told me to try this. Little did I know how much worse I was going to feel. It did help with the UTI which then later became a yeast infection...but I became very weak, had a fever, no energy and went numb from my knees down my legs. I could not feel circulation in my legs.

February 17, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Sarah82:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I tried taking Septra, and by the second day I was vomiting all day long. Couldn't take it long enough to cure the bladder infection and because of changing antibiotics partway through, ended up in a trip to the hospital with a kidney infection.

February 14, 2014 9:33 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I just started Bactrim. I have noticed a significant change for the better. For those of you that get yeast infections, eat lots of yogurt if you can. I have found this has helped me in the past.

January 5, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by aldkjfodnf:

After I got home and had taken about 4 of these I had loss of appetite, and had a headache. I looked at the papers from the pharmacy and I seen it said sulphamethazole! I called my doctor in a panic since it is listed in my allergies. I haven't had an allergic reaction, but my dad and moms side have. I finished out the antibiotic and have been fine. I did notice on Monday, which was my last dose, that I was feeling really queezy and had a headache. But no hives. Also This did some weird things while on it. I felt sick, and wasn't hungry, plus gave me a little anxiety. I will go back in a few days to make sure it is all cleared up. I took it for five days twice a day. I do however feel tons better.

November 20, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by elletee:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Make sure Bactrim is actually the correct medication for your UTI! I took Bactrim for 4 days with no relief before my doctor's office got the results back from my UA and realized that Bactrim is resistant to the bacteria causing my UTI. Now I am taking Cipro and it seems to be doing the trick. I did not have any side effects with Bactrim though, it just didn't work for me.

November 11, 2013 11:18 AM

Review by jaxdam:

I took one for the first time for a urinary tract infection and about 3-4 hours after taking I had rapid heart beat, shaking, diarrhea and nausea. I took a Xanax because I mistook this for a panic attack but the Xanax did nothing to help and I started to get a strange flushing, burning skin sensation. The sensation happens in waves over my skin, very strange like nothing that has ever happened to me. Called Dr.s office and was told it was an allergic reaction, been taking Benadryl all day but still feeling the effects over 2 hours later!

October 18, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by lollipop69 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Bactrim did a great job! My whole lower part of the body hurt and burned, it was awful. I couldn't even walk for a while without feeling strong pain. Going to the toilet was a nightmare and it happened every five minutes. I took Bactrim and the symptoms got worse, but then in two days I was cured. no pain, no nothing. Bactrim is perfect.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Ilu83:

Took this for a urinary tract infection and I've had them before, taken other medicines. This appealed to me because it was a three day deal. Started my first dose Thurs evening and everything was going pretty smooth. I ended up having to leave work after two hrs on Monday morning because My body was shaking uncontrollably (more hands than anything). I was nauseous, which I pretty much felt everyday but more so the last. And almost like my head was spinning, like I was going to faint. The shaking was the worst though.

July 31, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by GOOGS1951 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Took Bactrim for 3 days. Cleared up the urinary tract infection but became very nauseous, weak, chills, sweats, no appetite and shaky. Still weak and somewhat nauseous after 3 days of not taking it.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 3:30 PM

Review by Ans247 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I was prescribed Bactrim DS 2x a day for 10 days to clear a urinary tract infection. I was having nausea, acid reflux and intestinal/digestive issues that felt like irritable bowel syndrome or Stomach Flu by the 3rd day. After the 5th day I decided to stop taking it and the infection is gone along with all side effects. I am glad I decided to stop taking it, it seems Bactrim DS 2x a day was a bit too much for me.

July 28, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Kelly Lyn:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Great for urinary tract infection.

July 8, 2013 12:57 PM

Review by Sam b:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Always works well with no side effects.

July 1, 2013 9:45 PM

Review by angellwingg:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I have frequent urinary tract infections and I've taken this many times but hadn't in five or so years because my urinary tract infection became resistant to it. Now since I'm taking it again its given me the jitters and acid reflux but those are still better that cystitis.

June 20, 2013 3:21 AM

Review by NURSEEE (taken for less than 1 month):

i HAVE HAD 3 URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS. CULTURES CONTAMINATED EACH TIME. BACTRIM GIVEN TWICE. NO SIDE EFFECTS FOR ME, EXCEPT OCCASIONAL INCREASE IN BLURRED VISION.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate