User Reviews for Septra DS

Learn more about Septra DS.

Bacterial Infection 1 reviews 132 medications

Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nocardiosis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumonia 0 reviews 191 medications Not rated - Be the first
Prevention of Bladder infection 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sinusitis 0 reviews 250 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Septra DS reviews 16 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Septra DS

Review by Sarah82: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I tried taking Septra, and by the second day I was vomiting all day long. Couldn't take it long enough to cure the bladder infection and because of changing antibiotics partway through, ended up in a trip to the hospital with a kidney infection.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 14, 2014 9:33 PM
Review by prettygentle (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Went to the doctor for an upper respiratory tract infection that would not relent. The Septra DS had me feeling much better in just a couple of days. Remember to finish the entire prescription!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 23, 2012 1:51 PM
Review by TX (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: Had ache in back/side under rib, remembered that it was symptom of kidney infection, left urine sample at doctor's office immediately, test was positive for infection, doctor (who knows me well) called in this antibiotic and I began making immediate progress within 24 hours. I was careful to take the full course of the medicine without stopping.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 15, 2012 8:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: Allergic reaction, hives.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 3, 2012 6:01 PM
Review by DMan2 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: I've been having some discomfort that my doctor felt could be prostatitis. So, until I could get in for a CT Scan and also see a urologist, he put me on Septra DS. Everything was going fine until day 6. I was on my 23 anniversary weekend and I got up that morning to take a nice hot bath in the hot tub in our room. When I got out of the hot tub and started to dry off I noticed hives on my inner thighs. Looking in the mirror, I noticed that I was also covered in hives from my armpit to my waist on both sides. The culprit? Septra DS. Within the next few hours I was covered on my back, stomach, legs, arms, and a few on my lips. Allergic reaction.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 25, 2012 8:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Septra DS worked wonderful this time I am only on day 2 with 5 more days to go. I have however taken this and Bactrim DS before. I am quite sensitive to antibiotics but tolerate these well. I usually ask for Bactrim DS due to tolerating it well so that is what MD prescribed. i also take metformin and lotensin and they seem to work fine with this med though i take them at least 3 hours from each other

July 11, 2012 5:21 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have a severe allergic reaction. I had extreme rash, with blisters all over my body, including the inside of my mouth. This happened after taking it for three days. It wasn't a positive experience.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 11, 2011 4:39 PM
Review by suzgrrl: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I am always nervous about taking new medications, especially antibiotics because they usually give me many side effects. However, Septra DS was very well tolerated! I don't do well with large pills, so I split them in two (since they're scored for that purpose) and found them much easier to swallow. I took each half about 30 minutes apart and never had any side effects other than a funny taste in my mouth, which may have been from the pyridium (stuff that turns pee orange) for the pain, which I stopped after the first day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 13, 2011 10:17 PM
Review by BumbleLee123: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have been having Urinary tract Infections for a while and have had them more than once. I have been given different kinds of medications to treat the infection-- even ones that made my urine turn orange and stained my underwear. I have to honestly say that the Septra DS is the best I have ever taken (I asked for the generic brand from my doctor). I know its huge-like horse pills, but after the first dose I felt relieved. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't have to urinate that often and the pain associated with urinating subsided. I never had any side effects with this medication.

September 4, 2011 10:24 AM
Review by Canie: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: After the first day I felt kind of better, the second--a little rash, and at the third -- changes of the mouth mucosa/lining.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2011 5:25 PM
Review by Chuck White: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: After my first dose of Septra my Urinary Tract Infection symptoms disappeared and my urinary system began functioning normally again. So, as far as being effective against UTI's Septra seems to do a good job. I've been on it for 9 days and I have one more day to go. However, there might be some side effects. In my case they were mildly unpleasant. The first night of Septra I felt extremely tired and I fell into a light sleep with the weirdest dreams of my life. They were more like hallucinations than dreams. However, they seemed to pass and the only other side effects were mainly gastrointestinal, i.e. mild diarrhea, bloating, belching, and a transient sense of mild nausea.

July 15, 2011 6:18 PM

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: First 2 1/2 days this seemed to be working for me. 3rd day developed a major headache and nausea, by day 4 I felt a bit feverish, but nothing major, by day 5 my entire body ached and I just wanted to sleep. The fever although not high continued to go up and down. By day 6 I felt just as bad, no headache, but nausea, feverish, chills, etc. Day 7 enlarged lymph nodes, stopped taking it, day 8-9 severe rash all over body. Seeing now poss signs of Steven-Johnson Syndrome.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2011 12:21 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: The side effects were pretty brutal as I was taking this and Clindamycin. Constant pain in the liver area, along with nausea...I am hoping it worked to be rid of the infection.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2010 1:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Septra DS is excellent for UTI. I have been on it for three days with absolutely no side effects. My UTI has cleared up rapidly. My only criticism is that the pills are rather large and very dry that is probably why it is recommended that it be taken with lots of water.

November 29, 2009 8:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: As far as I'm concerned, this works great. I've been on this for three days and my staph infection has considerably been reduced but the side effects are bad. I've actually taken the drug for the same purpose a month before with no side effects, so I don't know what the deal is. The first night I had at least half of the listed side effects and was probably the worst night of my life. I still haven't had any sleep and I've been on Septra DS for three days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Otitis Media: My son has IGA deficiency. This was the second antibiotic given for his ear infection. His fever did not return but the infection continued.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2009 1:11 PM

Watch this video series to learn about managing severe allergies (anaphylaxis).