User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

Ventricular Tachycardia 2 reviews 31 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 1 reviews 118 medications

5.5
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 266 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propranolol

For Anxiety: "Anxiety/Panic attacks for a year or so. Fear of the fear made my brain expect an episode in virtually every situation with friends/family/strangers you name it. 80mg SR stopped my physical symptoms - shaking, tingling fingers, heart pumping which in turn stopped my brain from racing and expecting the attack. Life changer. Thank you so much. I'm back!!!!!"

On the up (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Been suffering panic and anxiety attacks for about 2 years. Before this time I would consider myself as fairly confident and self assured. Cocky even. About a year ago I realised that my symptoms were due to anxiety. Then of course I was expecting the attacks to come. Fear of the fear that some of you would have definitely read about. In social situations or even on meeting a Colleague at work I would feel an anxiety tingle in my fingers or my leg would shake. This would then start my mind racing and heart pumping which would of course then lead to a panic/anxiety attack. At times I would literally run away to the bathroom or say I have to make a phone call. Benzos didn't help me much. Propranolol 80mg SR has changed my life."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I could not function in my work environment without this drug. I have severe performance anxiety. I am not able to give talks, I'm not good in groups, and am very anxious when put in the spot light. I take 40 mg of propanolol and I am able to function. Without this medication, I would have quit my career and sink deep into depression. Without this medication, I would shake uncontrollably, feel numb with fear and embarrassment, and feel completely out of control."

life saver July 25, 2015

For Anxiety: "I take 20 mg b4 going out to socialize. It takes the paralyzing fear out of being with others. You have to self talk yourself to get out of the house. But once you do and get out, you can make it and survive enough to enjoy yourself. Zero side effects even with a few drinks."

Jotopia34 July 25, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I can hardly believe what this drug did for me the very first time I used it. About one hour before doing a huge speech in public which would usually have had my heart racing and terribly embarrassing purple flushing on my neck and face I took 40mg. Then nothing happened. I mean NO symptoms AT ALL! No panic, no heart, and most important no flushing. At all. Miraculous."

Desperate purple (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I have performance anxiety to an extreme. I couldn't even introduce myself at a meeting among people I mostly knew. My heart would begin pounding SOOOOOO hard, I couldn't even get words out. My voice would shake and I couldn't think. I'd just end up saying my name and ending it there before everyone knew I was so 'scared'. Anyway, after one event where I turned bright red and couldn't speak (to everyone's confusion), I was so disgusted with myself, I made an appointment to a psychiatrist. He prescribed inderol. Result- I was a TOTALLY different person!! The only problem is knowing when I may be in a situation that calls for inderol. Recently, the CEO called me up to his office. I didn't have time to take a bb. I had problems :("

http://www.drugs.com/members_c July 15, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Nailed my presentation!!!"

Northboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I have had a fear of speaking in front of groups for as far back as I can remember. I dreaded the days when I was assigned a presentation to give in front of my classmates. I tried MANY things to overcome my fear (i.e. hypnosis, practice/repetition, etc), yet nothing seemed to calm my nerves. Often times in college I would choose to receive F's on assignments because it involved giving presentations. My voice would shake, I would get body tremors, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, and mentally freeze. One day I went to see a doctor and she prescribed me Propranolol. Although I doubted it would work, I took a 20mg dose before a presentation and I couldn't believe the outcome. No more anxious symptoms! So glad I discovered it!"

Liam123 July 2, 2015

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I started off on 10 mg twice daily, almost 2 years ago, went to neuro for dizziness and migraines and tremors worse. I slowly upped the dosage to 80 mg and the tremors were even worse. Dropped back down to old dosage tremors still bad. Dizziness and migraines still bad, tried 4 diff meds for migraines allergic to all 4. Now along with all that I have started stumbling, toe will catch on floor. I always try to walk near something to catch myself or hold onto so I don't fall. I am only 43 but feel 80."

jebekarue (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 1, 2015

For Anxiety: "I use to take 10 mg before public speaking/presentation in school and shakiness when performing certain medical tasks at work. I have high blood pressure, anxiety, shakiness during certain presentation tasks. My dr was concerned about my blood pressure sometimes being 158/90, usually when I knew it was going to be taken. After discussing with her I'm now taking 60 mg SR, it keeps me stable without the peaks and crashes. I feel a little more energy physically because the fight or flight responses I felt were exhausting my body, although just not much will to get up and at it, and does make me feel a little lazy/apathetic/foggy, but my dr said it's still ok to drink coffee. And I feel not as irritable with my boyfriend."

Lucy86 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I've suffered w. stage fright (panic attacks) while public speaking for 15 years. I finally got an rx for propranolol from my pcp and tried it before a recent presentation. What a GOD SEND. I took 20 mg 1.5 hours prior to my presentation and although I did have some angst and chest tightness prior, once I started speaking the normal heart pounding out of my chest sensation/shortness of breath occasionally spiralling into a full blown panic attack just did not happen. I felt normal and that I could speak for hours. I feel I have my life back now and am excited for what this new confidence will do to my career. I did not notice any side effects. I made sure to drink plenty of water and eat to avoid low blood pressure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: "I started experiencing severe tremors as a side effect of other meds. At first I could not brush my teeth, then I had problems typing, next I could not feed myself or even hold a cup of coffee, finally I had bouts of tremors so bad that I could not even walk. I finally ended up seeing a neurologist who once he saw the problem and the severity he immediately prescribed Inderal. Within a week virtually all of my tremors had stopped and I was immensely relieved. I experienced no side effects at all. I have been on them for 7 years now and I only slightly shake if get really tired or drink too much coffee. All in all - I would highly recommend this medication for anyone with severe tremors."

Amgdala (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "less headaches but more affected on bladder mainly@ night but not diabetic"

Anonymous June 9, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I suffer from mild social anxiety, audience anxiety or stage fright which when put in the spotlight in big groups (church, ministry programs, or work related events) resulted in me being soaking wet from sweating. I had taken myself off of caffeine, and made efforts to exercise for about an hour to an hour and half before events to practically sweat myself dry. I spoke w/a dr. friend of mine and prescribed 20 mg of propranolol 3 times a day. I have found that if I take it regularly as a daily maintenance drug it is most effective. The last presentation I gave at work in front of about 75 people I sailed thru it w/lots of compliments. I have noticed no side effects either."

Anonymous June 6, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "My anxiety is a daily struggle. My heart races, body tremers, I mentally freeze, over any contact with people I don't know. Even walking by people set me off. I'm prescribed 20 mg twice a day. It's a life saver. No more negative thoughts, unexplained irritability, etc. I love you propranolol."

tarah m May 28, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol took me to the next step in my career. I'm a physician but never really believed in something so routine being so effective with stage fright. I was suddenly invited to give talks at an international conference for physicians - never having given a podium talk in my life before. Took 30mg 1.5 hrs before the two talks. Couldn't feel any symptoms of nervousness when I got up there. No rapid heartbeat, no turning stomach. Absolutely crushed the talks. Ended up winning a presentation award for my talk, against all odds. Not only did this medication help me accomplish what I felt is my base capability, but it elevated me to a level of performance I never thought I could achieve before and only dreamed of."

PicDoc May 22, 2015

For Anxiety: "Really excellent medicine for alleviating the physical symptoms of anxiety. I was sceptical about taking this as my anxiety (or so I thought) was mostly manifesting as mental anxiety. I now realise just how much I can reduce my anxiety levels as a whole by taking this medicine. I've only taken it twice - 40mg once a day, although I think 60mg may be the sweet spot for me. I don't get uncontrollable heart palpitations, sweating, voice cracking, and fully body shakes. In fact I feel comfortable and in control, hence, my thoughts are clearer and less agitated and thus the mental anxiety is also somewhat relieved."

Anonymous May 21, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is my savior! I had to give a speech at my high school graduation, and I was worrying about it for months. Thanks to 60 mg of propranolol an hour before my speech, everything went perfectly! I was 110% calm and composed in front of a nearly-full auditorium; none of my usual uncontrollable nervous laughter and quivering voice. Normally, I'm not the kind of person who is affected by insignificant pill-shaped things, but it was actually very effective. I had tested 20 mg the day before, for my graduation rehearsal (the sort of event that is nerve-wracking for someone like me), and I didn't exhibit any of my usual symptoms. So I knew that I could rely on it for the actual ceremony, and that alleviated my mental anxiety as welI."

Recent High School Graduate May 17, 2015

For Heart Attack: "This drug saves lives. It saved my life at least. Kept my heart from failing due to exhaustion. (yes your heart cant flutter when pushed too far) This can cause an infarction. Absolutely an essential drug in an advanced society."

tachycardia infarction May 15, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I have had a panic attack recently more to do so with relationship and work issues, went to the doctor who prescribed me with the medication and I can honestly say within a couple hours I felt relaxed, I don't feel that anxiety where I feel helpless and out of control wanting to cry myself senseless or run out the house screaming because everything around me is suffocating me!! however it works it is the best thing going for me so far :)"

panicattack May 7, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I have read the testimonials of various users herein and decided to try the Propanohol. 10mg was too light for the levels of my anxiety but I just gave a presentation in a foreign country, speaking a foreign language, and it worked perfectly!! I took 40mgs. All that has been said above is true! If you are thinking about and suffering from all of the performance anxiety symptoms, go for it!!! It is a great relied and I thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I felt I had to do the same for others! Best of luck and go shine in your presentations!!"

Perfectionist Lawyer (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I've tried Buspar, Xanax, Ativan, various anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and even cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxant). Propranolol (20mg daily) has been the best medication of ALL of these for generalized anxiety. No "swimming head", no dry mouth, no ravenous hunger... almost no side effects, except I feel a bit slow before my morning shower. Propranolol gives a nice "body calm" - heart rate steady, no sweating palms and no jittery feeling. I now use low doses of Propranolol and Imipramine for generalized anxiety and panic, and Lamotrigine for cyclothymia, and (rarely) Ativan. I feel like a new man! They also use Propranolol to treat PTSD patients... it blocks the "fight/flight" reaction and allows processing of trauma."

Northern_Guy (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Used inderal recently for a best man speech as I suffer terribly with anxiety and panic attacks. Words cannot describe how well this worked for me. I was still mentally nervous, but physically I was in complete control with no stutter, breathing problems/heart palpitations. I actually enjoyed it and I could have spoken all night. I never review anything online but just felt I wanted to share my experience as I know how horrible performance anxiety can be."

md101 April 28, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "Over the last 6 months , I've been suffering from panic attacks and severe anxiety. Accompanied with frequent fear I experience daily physical symptoms ( pain in chest, dizziness rapid heart rate etc. which started to control my daily life. I started taking Propranolol 10MG 3 times a day, within about 2-3 days I felt so much calmer and could cope with day to day life a lot better. Over the course of a few weeks my anxiety attacks and panic were becoming fewer and fewer . this medication has been a big turning point for me . Fingers crossed this continues"

Anonymous April 13, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "This is a miracle drug for people who suffer with the physical affects of anxiety. I had a very important live TV interview coming up that I was absolutely terrified about, and the thing I was most nervous about was shaking on TV. Every experience I've had with public speaking I have had uncontrollable tremors in my hands and head. I took 40mg of propranolol an hour before the interview, and I experienced none of the awful shaking, blushing, sweating or the increased heart rate. It was a such a relief. The drug will not stop the anxious thoughts or the feeling of terror before the performance, but it absolutely will block the physical effects, which is what most performance anxiety sufferers panic about."

SocialAnx April 9, 2015