User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

High Blood Pressure 13 reviews 207 medications

6.3
Heart Attack 1 reviews 116 medications

5.5
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 279 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Propranolol

For Panic Disorder: "I had terrible anxiety and fear of flying ...each 1 hour flight to Europe was a major battle..i would down Brandy to cope. But I knew I would not be able to cope and needed professional help for the 24 hour flight to Australia ... I was proscribed Propranolol 40 mg & did not think they would work, however I was amazed .. I was dead calm through out the flight and Never had any of the crippling anxiety or panic attacks that had been devastating my life for the previous two years .. I am amazed by this medicine ... thankyou to the manufacturer.."

Pete bear (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I would like to first and foremost state that I have never had performance anxiety, I was prescribed this for high blood pressure and heart palpitations. Every time I took one 10mg I lost an entire day, mild hallucinations, irritability, short term memory loss, and extreme mental and physical fatigue set in. I really can't stand this stuff, although I still take it from time to time to help my heart, I truly feel that it has had more negative repercussions than positive effects. I've found that increasing my exercise regime, low dosage marijuana edibles, meditation, healthy diet, and a quarterly psilocybin dosage has done leaps and bounds more for my overall health than this drug ever could. I truly believe that I was misdiagnosed."

Not a fan (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "I started to use this as a means to help with my tremor in my hand but notice how much better I feel as a person with anxiety I feel better on coping than I did before. I believe its helped me in more ways then in my tremor so big shout out to my dr."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Have had bad migraines for as long as I can remember. Always would wake up with bad migraines, would last for weeks on end. Tried everything then I found propranolol a year or two ago. Lifesaver I tell you !!! Never get a migraine, and if I do it's cause I forgot to take my meds. If I go a while without taking it I get very very light headed and dizzy and can't think straight. Also hallucinate (could be from my cymbalta) another thing is very vivid dreams, but that's ok I never could remember my dreams before propranolol anyways."

Taylorrrr August 26, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "After having a traumatizing experience presenting in front of my class, I decided to visit a doctor. He prescribed me 20 mg of propranolol and told me to take it 1 hour before my presentation. I had doubts whether this will actually work for me or not since I was deathly afraid of public speaking and nothing I ever tried ever helped me. I went inside the classroom feeling absolutely horrified. When my professor called my name, I felt a huge surge of anxiety but as soon as I got up and started presenting, I felt that it was tolerable. It still wasn't a pleasant experience and I didn't do an amazing job at it but I felt extremely satisfied that I got the presentation done."

Irishohh August 25, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "RIP Sir James Whyte Black (1924 %u2013 2010) who was a Scottish pharmacologist and he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1988 for work leading to the development of propranolol and cimetidine. Propranolol is absolutely a miracle. I had been struggling with stage fright for years and I said enough is enough I searched for medicine and ended up with this page which is life changing. Thank you for your comments which helped me to normalize my life."

Worrior August 25, 2015

For Portal Hypertension: "I was prescribed this medication for portal hypertension related to liver disease, which resulted in esophageal varices. I also happen to have primary hypertension, albeit not too bad (high-normal to Hypertension stage 1). I discussed with my liver doctor the fact that my overall BP was rising again, and I had stopped taking Losartan. He then decided to prescribe this drug instead, saying it would also help with the varices. I also tend to be anxious, get migraines, and have insomnia. This drug addresses everything with no bad side-effects and appears to be liver-friendly. As a sleep aid, for me it "takes the edge off" of my anxiety, allowing me to sleep, and my migraines are under control."

Portal Hypertension August 22, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Very good for day to day anxiety. Only downsides can make you feel tired when walking, bit light headed sometimes, short term memory loss and long term use will lead to some hair loss. when i reduced the drug over few months my hair started to grow back! Good medicine, but go easy at first."

Dan198 August 22, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I've had a paralyzingly fear of public speaking for as long as I can remember. I've humiluated myself endless times trying to do presentations. And I mean to the point of becoming so violently ill from the anxiety that Id run out of the room. Fast forward 6 years and in my first big corporate position im required to do a presentation. I almost died. I anticipated this moment. I dreaded it. I went to a dr desperate for help who prescribed me propranolol. I took 15mg 10mg and another half) 2 hours prior plus .25 mg xanax and I felt amazing. I did the best presentation of my life. No nerves. No jitters. I was cool, calm, collected. I made eye contact and was funny. I used my hands and could have stayed up there all day. I love it!!!!"

Happy canper August 17, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I took propranolol initially as a migraine preventative 20+ years ago, at a time I had a job which required me to deliver presentations. I wasn't manic when I had to do these, but there were butterflies. I was amazed that the propranolol completely stopped these reactions, which of course it does by blocking adrenaline. I've used the drug a time or two when going through difficult times. It completely stops anxiety, with ZERO side effects in my case. No drowsiness, sedation, etc., as with benzos. Been nearly 25 years, and I remain astounded that this class of drug, beta blockers, is not used much more frequently for ultra-safe, low side effect anxiety relief."

David7678895 August 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been suffering from migraines since I was 13. The older I got (I am 28 now) the more severe and frequent they became. After being on a number of medications that either didn't work or caused terrible side effects (Topomax caused short term memory loss that I still suffer with) I was finally prescribed Propranolol. What a lifesaver! For over a year I would wake up with migraines almost every day; some so sever I couldn't get out of bed for days. After being on this for only a couple of days I stopped getting migraines! I still get about one a month but after having one almost continuously for an entire year I feel like a new person! The only side effect I have experienced is very vivid dreams... But I don't mind that at all haha."

Laura Leigh August 7, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "This medicine saved my life. I have panic disorder and a mild heart condition. When I was first diagnosed with my heart condition I could not leave the house for fear something would happen to me - I guess agoraphobia set in. This medicine stopped my heart from beating rapidly and calmed me down together with my other medicines. A wonderful medicine."

ChopsDudley August 7, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Absolute miracle drug. I would be doomed without it. Amazing stuff!"

Anonymous August 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "Anxiety/Panic attacks for a year or so. Fear of the fear made my brain expect an episode in virtually every situation with friends/family/strangers you name it. 80mg SR stopped my physical symptoms - shaking, tingling fingers, heart pumping which in turn stopped my brain from racing and expecting the attack. Life changer. Thank you so much. I'm back!!!!!"

On the up (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Been suffering panic and anxiety attacks for about 2 years. Before this time I would consider myself as fairly confident and self assured. Cocky even. About a year ago I realised that my symptoms were due to anxiety. Then of course I was expecting the attacks to come. Fear of the fear that some of you would have definitely read about. In social situations or even on meeting a Colleague at work I would feel an anxiety tingle in my fingers or my leg would shake. This would then start my mind racing and heart pumping which would of course then lead to a panic/anxiety attack. At times I would literally run away to the bathroom or say I have to make a phone call. Benzos didn't help me much. Propranolol 80mg SR has changed my life."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I could not function in my work environment without this drug. I have severe performance anxiety. I am not able to give talks, I'm not good in groups, and am very anxious when put in the spot light. I take 40 mg of propanolol and I am able to function. Without this medication, I would have quit my career and sink deep into depression. Without this medication, I would shake uncontrollably, feel numb with fear and embarrassment, and feel completely out of control."

life saver July 25, 2015

For Anxiety: "I take 20 mg b4 going out to socialize. It takes the paralyzing fear out of being with others. You have to self talk yourself to get out of the house. But once you do and get out, you can make it and survive enough to enjoy yourself. Zero side effects even with a few drinks."

Jotopia34 July 25, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I can hardly believe what this drug did for me the very first time I used it. About one hour before doing a huge speech in public which would usually have had my heart racing and terribly embarrassing purple flushing on my neck and face I took 40mg. Then nothing happened. I mean NO symptoms AT ALL! No panic, no heart, and most important no flushing. At all. Miraculous."

Desperate purple (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I have performance anxiety to an extreme. I couldn't even introduce myself at a meeting among people I mostly knew. My heart would begin pounding SOOOOOO hard, I couldn't even get words out. My voice would shake and I couldn't think. I'd just end up saying my name and ending it there before everyone knew I was so 'scared'. Anyway, after one event where I turned bright red and couldn't speak (to everyone's confusion), I was so disgusted with myself, I made an appointment to a psychiatrist. He prescribed inderol. Result- I was a TOTALLY different person!! The only problem is knowing when I may be in a situation that calls for inderol. Recently, the CEO called me up to his office. I didn't have time to take a bb. I had problems :("

http://www.drugs.com/members_c July 15, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "Nailed my presentation!!!"

Northboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I have had a fear of speaking in front of groups for as far back as I can remember. I dreaded the days when I was assigned a presentation to give in front of my classmates. I tried MANY things to overcome my fear (i.e. hypnosis, practice/repetition, etc), yet nothing seemed to calm my nerves. Often times in college I would choose to receive F's on assignments because it involved giving presentations. My voice would shake, I would get body tremors, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, and mentally freeze. One day I went to see a doctor and she prescribed me Propranolol. Although I doubted it would work, I took a 20mg dose before a presentation and I couldn't believe the outcome. No more anxious symptoms! So glad I discovered it!"

Liam123 July 2, 2015

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I started off on 10 mg twice daily, almost 2 years ago, went to neuro for dizziness and migraines and tremors worse. I slowly upped the dosage to 80 mg and the tremors were even worse. Dropped back down to old dosage tremors still bad. Dizziness and migraines still bad, tried 4 diff meds for migraines allergic to all 4. Now along with all that I have started stumbling, toe will catch on floor. I always try to walk near something to catch myself or hold onto so I don't fall. I am only 43 but feel 80."

jebekarue (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 1, 2015

For Anxiety: "I use to take 10 mg before public speaking/presentation in school and shakiness when performing certain medical tasks at work. I have high blood pressure, anxiety, shakiness during certain presentation tasks. My dr was concerned about my blood pressure sometimes being 158/90, usually when I knew it was going to be taken. After discussing with her I'm now taking 60 mg SR, it keeps me stable without the peaks and crashes. I feel a little more energy physically because the fight or flight responses I felt were exhausting my body, although just not much will to get up and at it, and does make me feel a little lazy/apathetic/foggy, but my dr said it's still ok to drink coffee. And I feel not as irritable with my boyfriend."

Lucy86 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2015

For Performance Anxiety: "I've suffered w. stage fright (panic attacks) while public speaking for 15 years. I finally got an rx for propranolol from my pcp and tried it before a recent presentation. What a GOD SEND. I took 20 mg 1.5 hours prior to my presentation and although I did have some angst and chest tightness prior, once I started speaking the normal heart pounding out of my chest sensation/shortness of breath occasionally spiralling into a full blown panic attack just did not happen. I felt normal and that I could speak for hours. I feel I have my life back now and am excited for what this new confidence will do to my career. I did not notice any side effects. I made sure to drink plenty of water and eat to avoid low blood pressure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: "I started experiencing severe tremors as a side effect of other meds. At first I could not brush my teeth, then I had problems typing, next I could not feed myself or even hold a cup of coffee, finally I had bouts of tremors so bad that I could not even walk. I finally ended up seeing a neurologist who once he saw the problem and the severity he immediately prescribed Inderal. Within a week virtually all of my tremors had stopped and I was immensely relieved. I experienced no side effects at all. I have been on them for 7 years now and I only slightly shake if get really tired or drink too much coffee. All in all - I would highly recommend this medication for anyone with severe tremors."

Amgdala (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2015