User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

6.6
Ventricular Tachycardia 2 reviews 33 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 233 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Mbd70 (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: Took Inderal La for a very short time. In the time I was on it I never had a migraine, unfortunately on average I could sleep 7-8 hours a night but being on this medication I was lucky to get 4.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by Gsoglenn (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine Prevention: My doctor prescribed propranolol explaining how he'd like to try to prevent the migraine in the first place, rather than treating it after it arrived. I explained I'd prefer that as well. Propranolol was prescribed, 1 tablet twice daily. After trying the 60 mg. tablets for three months, I reported only having 6 migraines during that time period. He thereby increased the strength to 80 mg. and I currently experience an average of 2 migraines a year! And it's so inexpensive!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2015 2:53 PM

Review by gamesmaster (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: Unbelievable! No shakes, no sweats, no tremors.... just cool, calm and collected during my interview. I was like a different person, highly recommend if you have performance anxiety!!!

March 2, 2015 3:28 AM

Review by Lonely at the Top:

For Performance Anxiety: Like many on this sight, I had the same terrible symptons that paralyzed me in front of even the smallest group - even my own direct reports. I was prescribed propranolol and I am my old self again. THANKS

February 24, 2015 12:26 PM

Review by Jillzplace:

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: Have been taking for over 20 years, works good for getting less migraines and even better, helps my tremors. However, when I switched to try the generic, it did neither. Now my insurance wants to make me pay a fee for not being able to use the generic. A fee that equals the list price of the medicine without insurance. I can not afford to go from 100.00 copay for a 3 month supply to 1300.00 for the same amount.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 11:37 AM

Review by KaKeOd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have a very nerve racking job that involves public speaking to large groups of important people on very technical subjects. When I started, I was a nervous wreck. My legs would shake involuntarily, my voice would crackle and a couple times I walked on stage and blanked out, leaving a huge audience full of people just staring at me, waiting for me to speak. I have been diagnosed with general anxiety but I don't take anything for it. My doctor gave me propanolol for panic attacks and I swear it is a wonder pill. I take it an hour before speaking. It takes away all of the physical symptoms of anxiety without clouding your mind. It takes the edge off in a way that no other medicine can, but you don't feel intoxicated, or altered mentally at all.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 9:22 PM

Review by kikajo:

For Migraine Prevention: Taking propranolol has significantly changed my life. I was averaging one migraine per week. It would be a two day event with nausea and stomach issues. After starting on 80 mg, the migraines were twice a month. Now on 120 mg they occur about once per month. I am due for a medicine check in Feb. I do not know if my doctor will recommend a dose increase again, but the goal is to eliminate the migraines regularly. Missing one dose will cause a pounding, throbbing headache that may last for several hours upon taking the missed dose. This is not doubling up on the dose! There was some fatigue in the very beginning and very odd, vivid dreams at the start and again when the dosage was increased. This has allowed me to live a better life!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2015 1:29 PM

Review by javad madani London uk (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I have had migraine for the past 50 years, have taken tons of pain killers you can imagine how my daily life was ruined by the migraine. I was visiting my GP one day recently complaining about palpitation which I suffered for the past 2-3 months, he suggested propranolol 80 mg twice a day and then the miracle started working! As soon as I started taking propranolol both palpitation and migraine gone away! So far and I am hoping it will last for ever as I read the other comments. I am going to give a present to my GP worth at least 1000 pounds if I am headache free for a month. Finger crossed.

January 12, 2015 10:50 PM

Review by Hemo-RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I've suffered with migraines as has every female in my family since my late teens. By late 20s I was searching for a prophylactic as I was using Imitrex far more than recommended (or insurance would pay for). I tried anticonvuldants, antidepressants,and calcium channel blockers but with no success until I tried propranolol. My migraines nearly disappeared for months. What a joyful and exciting time in my life to be pain free! Unfortunately, my hair began to fall out in large quantities. Bald spots were forming and my hairline receding. Not an acceptable side effect for young ladies. I hate I had to stop the propranolol but there were no other explanations for the hair loss. With new Rogaine hair I'm back to square one.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 11:15 AM

Review by Game Changer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol launched my career! I suffered from severe fight or flight syndrome during presentations, interviews, meetings and even phone calls. Symptoms included rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, sweating, weak voice, etc. I started taking these almost a year ago and have since been promoted to a director position, I present to our entire organization and lead meetings with our executive team - symptom free! I use 10 mg for meetings and up to 40 mg for presentations and interviews. I have also used 10 mg before a golf tournament and the 1st tee box jitters were completely gone.. The rest of my game still sucked but it felt good not to dribble the first one off the tee!

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by barigood (taken for 10 years or more):

Inderal (propranolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: I was diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia back in the 70's but it was "paroxysmal" meaning unpredictable. I was also diagnosed with anxiety attacks. The Inderal was critical to my improvement and as life went on, I found that I was low in calcium, magnesium and potassium. Supplementing those things basically expunged the tachycardia. If I feel it coming on, I increase those things and use the Inderal and it goes away. It also helped with the anxiety attacks. So everyone is different...and diet, supplements are also critical to good health.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by Joe beningo:

For Panic Disorder: Works great. For very stressful events, its not enough. I take 20 mg plus 0.5 mg Ativan. That does the trick 1 hour before. If its a mildly stressful event I don't need the Ativan. Just the 20 mg. it's not effective for me anyway to stop a panic attack after its started. I need Ativan plus propranolol for that.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by PTSDandMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Panic Disorder: Propranolol does help a bit with panic attacks, but not all that much. It does not have too many discernible side effects besides some dizziness.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from migraines for over 20 years. I experienced about 6 or more a month. They would last 3 days in bed, vomiting with multiple trips to ER. I have been taking Propranolol for 3 years now with much success. I still sometimes experience menstrual migraines but they are less severe and controlled with Ibuprofen. In addition, I suffered from anxiety which I no longer have. I do suffer from cold feet and hands all the time and unexplained weight gain (20lbs). I would recommend this for migraine treatment, I feel I got my life back.

December 10, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by RobRob1985:

For Panic Disorder: After 6 months of severe panic attacks and anxiety, I was prescribed propranolol. Wow, what a huge turn around! I was very paranoid about taking ANY medication but I sucked it up and dealt with it. I'm so glad I did because my life has now changed because of it. My heart rate would beat out of control triggering panic and anxiety. I should mention that I am a strong believer in medication to only be a GUIDE into creating a healthy lifestyle both mentally and physically.

December 6, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by nittynat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Years and years of pain misery vomiting. Sometimes I thought I was dying. Ruined my life work life social life. Last migraine went to hospital emergency had to be given morphine as was crying for hours in pain.. my doctor then prescribed propranolol. It's been the best time ever in my adult life its just so fab to wake up pain free. Yes I'm dopey tired but rather that than that evil pain... good luck to us all on this.. only us migraine sufferers can experience this relief of a medicine that actually works.

December 3, 2014 6:28 PM

Review by SaraLynn1024 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: I started getting panic attacks when I was 12. Every time I had to present something to my class it felt like I was having a heart attack and my hands and voice would shake uncontrollably. I couldn't get through the presentations most of the time and the kids would make fun of me. It was dreadful. Finally, when I was 14 I saw the doctor that prescribed this. It was a life changer. There was a speech I had to give as an 8th grade project and while I was up at the podium I could actually organize all my thoughts. No shaking. No heart palpitations. No sweaty hands. I could have stayed up there for hours! I even remember thinking, this stuff really works!" I'm 23 now and started taking it for work-related situations.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by Mcmak (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medicine a couple days ago due to my social anxiety. What I want to tell people most is that it does not take away your anxiety mentally, only physically. So let's say you have an oral presentation, you will still have severe anxiety but just without the shakes, redness, and sweating. I personally have a problem with going into grocery stores and paying/chatting with an employee. After I took the medicines I left and realized that I was no longer red and did not feel shaky at all. I highly recommend this medicine, just do not expect to drop your anxiety completely. You will not notice that it is working until you're in the situation. Give it a shot.

November 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by dtt:

For Performance Anxiety: Used it today for a work presentation and it worked. At some point later in the day I had to hold back the tears thinking about how my life would have been different had I known about this medicine. I'm 42 years old and wish I knew about this 20 years ago.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 6:21 PM

Review by Adrian1983 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I cannot speak highly enough of this medication. I have had general anxiety for as long as I remember. I have always had a fast heartbeat (a physiological symptom of my anxiety), regularly got palpitations randomly, I often had skipped and missed heartbeats which freaked me out, far more often I believe than the general population. After trying SSRI's and benzo's I asked my Dr for this medicine after doing some research. Well I cannot believe it, I feel calm, nothing panics me. It is not addictive like other first line treatments for anxiety. My heart does not race randomly, even the skipped beats I used to get numerous times a day have all but gone. In my opinion if you have anxiety, this should be the first port of call. Its changed my life.

November 11, 2014 4:37 AM

For Performance Anxiety: Really suffered with public speaking anxiety to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation and had to stop. Friend recommended propranolol and the difference it made was remarkable. Felt slightly nervous when I had to give a presentation to a large group but when I started talking felt completely at ease. No issues at all. If anyone suffers with the same thing I implore you to see your GP/doctor and get this prescribed.

November 7, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by Zx:

For Performance Anxiety: Was very anxious and became depressed after my father was diagnosed terminally ill. I started a new job which didn't help with the stress. Was having often panic attacks. Now I feel amazing. I now have my life back. Without this I think I would of had to be hospitalised. Thank goodness. Life is good again.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 9:19 PM

For Performance Anxiety: This is quiet literally a miracle medicine. I used to give presentations all of the time to big groups of people but over the years seem to develop a fear and would be anxious for days leading up to the presentation ... not anymore. I take 1 10mg red pill 1hr before the presentation and because the heart is not racing the rest of me is perfectly calm and relaxed. You still need to prepared and know your stuff or be well rehearsed for a speech but outside of that you now have nothing to worry about. This is truly a life and game changer for anyone who has to give public presentations.

November 2, 2014 4:43 PM

Review by scared speaker (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Performance Anxiety: I recently was promoted but with that came public speaking. I was a mess! Sweating, shortness of breath, shaking, not being able to think straight...it was awful! My dr prescribed this and the transformation was unbelievable!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by MadameLily (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Works like a miracle. My job requires some presentation skills and no amount of practice reduced the anxiety. My speaking skills improved with Toastmasters, but the anxiety was still crippling. I no longer fear giving workshops and presentations. I only need take it prior to giving a presentation - just once in a while - and a single pill does the trick. Far superior to anxiety meds like Xanax. Propranolol reduces the anxiety with no negative effects on my performance, and no side effects that I've noticed.

October 29, 2014 4:24 PM