User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Ventricular Tachycardia 1 reviews 33 medications

Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 205 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Confident speaker:

For Performance Anxiety: I use to run off stage or start crying on stage due to extreme fear of public speaking. My voice trembled so terribly that my nickname was baa baa sheep. I suffered from this phobia for over thirty years and I took propanolol for the first time and I was a stunner during my presentation. Thank you to whoever created this medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by rosstex (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Benign Essential Tremor: This is a miracle for my essential tremor. It effectively mitigates the tremors in all parts of the body. It used to be debilitating to face stressful situations at work or socially, as my 'shakes' would rear their ugly head in my voice and in any movement. Afterwards, the nervousness is still there, but the tremor is gone. 40mg 2x daily.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by ADC1325:

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: Have been taking for over 25 years. Very good control of my migraines.

October 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by ellie baby:

Inderal (propranolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have been on this medicine for over 10yrs they had to switch me to this medicine because the other medicine I was on wasn't working anyway more. I was on atenolol for awhile for rapid heart rate and then I had chest pains so they switched me to Inderal because I had mitro-valve, so far it is working.

October 12, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by haley228190:

For Performance Anxiety: Prescribed this for panic disorder. Just had a "thought induced panic attack", I was crying and sobbing uncontrollably, screaming, hyperventilating, pulling my hair out. The usual! Managed to take 30mg, having been completely dubious, within 30 seconds I just stopped. A wave of calm washed over me. Usually these episodes last 2 - 6 hours. Incredible medicine! Can't actually believe it, I totally thought nothing could stop me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2014 9:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: Great medicine for panic attacks, no anxiety and body symptoms after taking it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by fastmam:

For Performance Anxiety: very good drug .. it helps me to beat my fearing to talk in front of people .. I took 40 mg an hour before my presentition and I feel comfertable without that annoying rapidly heart beating .. highly recommended

September 22, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by worrier123:

For Panic Disorder: I was prescribed propranolol 4 years ago and was on 160mg daily for around a year and it worked straight away. Took away the racing heart and trembling hands and made me feel normal, after around 6 months I started to feel light headed and dizzy and was moved down to 80mg daily which I was on for around 2 years, when I felt I was on better control of my panic attacks I started to titrate down the propranolol as you are not allowed to just stop taking it and this is the downside, as when my panic attacks where under control, I was starting to get a racing heart and trembling again as the doctors where trying to get my titration rate sorted out and I was moved down too quickly. It took 18 months to do this which was the downside.

September 9, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by Jdiddy12 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: I have suffered from public speaking nerves for many years. I have a very successful career and managed to get so far by avoiding or getting through presentations. During the beginning of any presentations my heart would beat like it was about to explode and my mind would go blank. I took one tab 40mg an hour before and it worked like a miracle. I am so happy now.

September 3, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by University student (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Performance Anxiety: I am in full time school in a program that requires me to give many oral presentation. I am a somewhat shy and introverted person and have always had a lot of trouble being able to do this effectively. I get very anxious and I shake and get short of breath and feel my heart racing. I had heard about propranolol so I consulted with my GP and she prescribed 40mg to me. The first time taking it right before my presentation I felt slightly anxious and was thinking that it wasn't working, however the minute I started to present I felt calm and relaxed and was able to present well. No shaking or pounding heart, which I now realize increased the anxiety and really interfered. This medication is a lifesaver to me, I am glad I found it!

July 28, 2014 4:09 AM

Review by Jenipeni (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on the Propanolol for about 4 months and it has done miracles with my migraines. I have only had one aura in that time. The problem is that I have gained 20 pounds without making any changes to my diet or exercise routine. I wish that the medicine didn't have the unwelcome weight gain side affect.

July 24, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by NorCalFemale (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: My experience, while only 2 days so far, has been life changing. I have had migraines for 16 years. Now at age 32, they seem to have only gotten progressively worse. I have resisted daily medication for many many years, feeling that it would somehow mean that I've given in to my headaches and went against my idea of being a healthy, vibrant person. However, after recently having a migraine for 30 consecutive days I realized that migraines had come to control me more than a daily medication ever could. Vacations, my career, my relationships were being threatened. The day I took prop, my 30 day migraine went away within just hours, and has since stayed away! I feel great! Side effects: drowsy, slightly spacey, serene, peaceful, tired.

June 19, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Inderol LA user - long time1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I have benign tremors and hypertension. I was taking one Inderol LA 60mg daily for the hypertension. I went to an neurologist about the tremors and he asked my cardiologist to change me to one in the morning and two at night. That was about 5 years ago. It has been a great help for the tremors and my BP is awesome! [e.g., 120/75] Now after so long I have developed a tolerance. My docs think more per day will make my blood pressure too low. If I am really diligent about taking it the tremors are minimal.

June 13, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by Glad I Found It! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Like many here, I turned to Inderal for public speaking anxiety. I actually was even going to leave the job and used all kinds of excuses in my head (the job was bad, I hated my boss, etc, etc), none of which were true. Plain and simple, it was public speaking fear. The first one without Inderal had the familiar feelings having an out of body experience, the chest tightness, the nervousness. I got through it but immediately started searching the net when I got home and found the Inderal forums. Best medicine ever and so glad I found it. I've nailed every presentation since and speak calmly and confidently now. All the physical symptoms are gone when I have to speak. I usually take 30-40mg 1.5 to 1 hour before I am due to speak. Recommend!

June 9, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by Trying something else:

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I found immense relief with Inderal, on just 10mg every morning and night....it was like a miracle as preventative and I also have found it dulls a migraine if one happens to break through, by taking an extra one. I had been waking up with a bad headache/migraine every day, which lasted all day. Codeine was my only vague relief in mega doses. My only complaint is that since commencing Inderal I have gained 10kg and no dieting seems to help! All this in only 12 months. The other side effects have been an increase to my allergy intolerance to certain foods ie chocolate and a heightened problem with low blood sugar. So, the doctor has just commenced me on Topamax instead 25mg every morning and night. Will report how this compares!

May 29, 2014 5:29 AM

Review by Delaz:

For Performance Anxiety: Unbelievable. Suffered for years with performance anxiety and my current job meant I had to do more and more meeting. It got to point that I was thinking I'd have to leave my job or throw myself off a bridge to escape. As a last resort I went to doctors hoping to try beta blockers - I got these thinking they might help a bit. THEY TOTALLY CURED ME. It was like a miracle - I was even cracking jokes and arriving first at meeting where as before I'd hidden in toilets. Only my 1st week, don't know what the future holds but for now I'll just celebrate the relief this has provided.

May 23, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Somebody5221:

For Performance Anxiety: Having had panic attacks for decades when doing presentations, interviews, standing in line at the grocery shop, taking care of bank errands, sitting in meetings, talking on the phone...and on it goes...propranolol has really helped a lot. I still get the dooming feelings before the attacks and I'm still sweating, but I'm not going completely blank or shake until I fall out of my chair. Actually, when it's my turn, I'm pretty cool besides the sweating but that's not a big issue for me.

May 8, 2014 3:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: It finally dawned on me that others might suffer my same public speaking "fight or flight" response. The uncontrollable shaking uncontrollably, heart racing as my turn to speak neared, panic attacks caused me to not speak and forgo many career advancing opportunities. I over prepared, tried public speaking classes, still the shakes and heart race caused me to lose my train of thought, cut myself short and generally look like an idiot. I finally searched online and found information on propranolol and Xanax. Frankly, Xanax just made me tired. I tried propranolol immediately prior to having to speak, and WOW. I waited for the heart race and blood rush, nothing. I was shocked and was able to speak like any normal person. Miracle!

May 1, 2014 11:29 AM

Review by njchuck (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: I just tried propranolol for public speaking for the first time yesterday. I've hated public speaking my whole life. I shake and blush and it's very embarrassing. I Have a new job now where I have to speak in front of people sometimes. My Dr prescribed me 10 mg. I tried it over the weekend to see if I had any side effects and there were none. I'm generally an anxious person and it did make me feel calmer, but it was a subtle effect and I was worried that 10mg wouldn't work during my speech because I see some reviews of people taking much higher doses. But it actually worked. I still felt nervous like my Dr said I would but at least I didn't shake at all or feel the physical symptoms of my nervousness. I wish I had found this in high school and college.

April 23, 2014 6:30 AM

Review by Billybongthorton (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: Went to the doctor to help with a clonidine taper. Clonidine was prescribed for methadone withdrawal along with Valium. Got off the methadone pretty easy considering how messed up I was. Now stuck with physical clonidine addiction after being on it for 3 months. Was prescribed propranolol for day time control of rebound high blood pressure and withdrawal anxiety and so far it is working amazingly. I feel like I could talk in front of 100,000 people and not flinch in fear. Because propranolol has its own withdrawal if you are on it too long just like clonidine but at least this time I am aware of the possibility rather than blindly taking some medication.

April 14, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by Jim Snt:

For Performance Anxiety: It truly is a miracle. Only thing I'll add differently, I wouldn't take it before an exam, as it kind of makes you a little foggy with the thought process. People can typically deal with this anxiety because its not speaking in front of people but definitely take it before speaking.

April 10, 2014 11:49 PM

Review by keross:

For Performance Anxiety: I used to be a singer but had to quit because of worsening panic attacks (including twitching face muscles - the shame). I hated myself for quitting but saw no other choice. I was working as an EFL teacher and eventually had to quit that too because facing a class suddenly became overwhelming. Staff meetings were impossible, presentations at training sessions were out of the question, until even talking to my small class made me want to run far far away. So I became a freelance copywriter so I could stay at home and not face anyone. I was alone for about 6 years. About 6 months ago somebody told me about propanolol. My new job starts Monday. Thank you, thank you thank you, modern medicine, from me and my family, for giving me my life back

March 28, 2014 3:15 PM

Review by farhatruf:

For Performance Anxiety: Although a very good medicine to overcome the performance anxiety, however one must take into account its two long term side effects: 1. Risk of diabetes due to this medicine 2. memory loss Please share your experience.

March 26, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by JASkq:

For Performance Anxiety: Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it.

March 23, 2014 12:39 AM

Review by Anonymous 34:

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety.

March 10, 2014 5:46 PM