User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

6.5
High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 262 medications

6.4
Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 223 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Game Changer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol launched my career! I suffered from severe fight or flight syndrome during presentations, interviews, meetings and even phone calls. Symptoms included rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, sweating, weak voice, etc. I started taking these almost a year ago and have since been promoted to a director position, I present to our entire organization and lead meetings with our executive team - symptom free! I use 10 mg for meetings and up to 40 mg for presentations and interviews. I have also used 10 mg before a golf tournament and the 1st tee box jitters were completely gone.. The rest of my game still sucked but it felt good not to dribble the first one off the tee!

December 29, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Joe beningo:

For Panic Disorder: Works great. For very stressful events, its not enough. I take 20 mg plus 0.5 mg Ativan. That does the trick 1 hour before. If its a mildly stressful event I don't need the Ativan. Just the 20 mg. it's not effective for me anyway to stop a panic attack after its started. I need Ativan plus propranolol for that.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by PTSDandMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Panic Disorder: Propranolol does help a bit with panic attacks, but not all that much. It does not have too many discernible side effects besides some dizziness.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from migraines for over 20 years. I experienced about 6 or more a month. They would last 3 days in bed, vomiting with multiple trips to ER. I have been taking Propranolol for 3 years now with much success. I still sometimes experience menstrual migraines but they are less severe and controlled with Ibuprofen. In addition, I suffered from anxiety which I no longer have. I do suffer from cold feet and hands all the time and unexplained weight gain (20lbs). I would recommend this for migraine treatment, I feel I got my life back.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by RobRob1985:

For Panic Disorder: After 6 months of severe panic attacks and anxiety, I was prescribed propranolol. Wow, what a huge turn around! I was very paranoid about taking ANY medication but I sucked it up and dealt with it. I'm so glad I did because my life has now changed because of it. My heart rate would beat out of control triggering panic and anxiety. I should mention that I am a strong believer in medication to only be a GUIDE into creating a healthy lifestyle both mentally and physically.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by nittynat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Years and years of pain misery vomiting. Sometimes I thought I was dying. Ruined my life work life social life. Last migraine went to hospital emergency had to be given morphine as was crying for hours in pain.. my doctor then prescribed propranolol. It's been the best time ever in my adult life its just so fab to wake up pain free. Yes I'm dopey tired but rather that than that evil pain... good luck to us all on this.. only us migraine sufferers can experience this relief of a medicine that actually works.

December 3, 2014 6:28 PM

Review by SaraLynn1024 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: I started getting panic attacks when I was 12. Every time I had to present something to my class it felt like I was having a heart attack and my hands and voice would shake uncontrollably. I couldn't get through the presentations most of the time and the kids would make fun of me. It was dreadful. Finally, when I was 14 I saw the doctor that prescribed this. It was a life changer. There was a speech I had to give as an 8th grade project and while I was up at the podium I could actually organize all my thoughts. No shaking. No heart palpitations. No sweaty hands. I could have stayed up there for hours! I even remember thinking, this stuff really works!" I'm 23 now and started taking it for work-related situations.

November 29, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by Mcmak (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medicine a couple days ago due to my social anxiety. What I want to tell people most is that it does not take away your anxiety mentally, only physically. So let's say you have an oral presentation, you will still have severe anxiety but just without the shakes, redness, and sweating. I personally have a problem with going into grocery stores and paying/chatting with an employee. After I took the medicines I left and realized that I was no longer red and did not feel shaky at all. I highly recommend this medicine, just do not expect to drop your anxiety completely. You will not notice that it is working until you're in the situation. Give it a shot.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by dtt:

For Performance Anxiety: Used it today for a work presentation and it worked. At some point later in the day I had to hold back the tears thinking about how my life would have been different had I known about this medicine. I'm 42 years old and wish I knew about this 20 years ago.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 6:21 PM

Review by Adrian1983 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I cannot speak highly enough of this medication. I have had general anxiety for as long as I remember. I have always had a fast heartbeat (a physiological symptom of my anxiety), regularly got palpitations randomly, I often had skipped and missed heartbeats which freaked me out, far more often I believe than the general population. After trying SSRI's and benzo's I asked my Dr for this medicine after doing some research. Well I cannot believe it, I feel calm, nothing panics me. It is not addictive like other first line treatments for anxiety. My heart does not race randomly, even the skipped beats I used to get numerous times a day have all but gone. In my opinion if you have anxiety, this should be the first port of call. Its changed my life.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 4:37 AM

For Performance Anxiety: Really suffered with public speaking anxiety to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation and had to stop. Friend recommended propranolol and the difference it made was remarkable. Felt slightly nervous when I had to give a presentation to a large group but when I started talking felt completely at ease. No issues at all. If anyone suffers with the same thing I implore you to see your GP/doctor and get this prescribed.

November 7, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by Zx:

For Performance Anxiety: Was very anxious and became depressed after my father was diagnosed terminally ill. I started a new job which didn't help with the stress. Was having often panic attacks. Now I feel amazing. I now have my life back. Without this I think I would of had to be hospitalised. Thank goodness. Life is good again.

November 2, 2014 9:19 PM

For Performance Anxiety: This is quiet literally a miracle medicine. I used to give presentations all of the time to big groups of people but over the years seem to develop a fear and would be anxious for days leading up to the presentation ... not anymore. I take 1 10mg red pill 1hr before the presentation and because the heart is not racing the rest of me is perfectly calm and relaxed. You still need to prepared and know your stuff or be well rehearsed for a speech but outside of that you now have nothing to worry about. This is truly a life and game changer for anyone who has to give public presentations.

November 2, 2014 4:43 PM

Review by scared speaker (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Performance Anxiety: I recently was promoted but with that came public speaking. I was a mess! Sweating, shortness of breath, shaking, not being able to think straight...it was awful! My dr prescribed this and the transformation was unbelievable!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by MadameLily (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Works like a miracle. My job requires some presentation skills and no amount of practice reduced the anxiety. My speaking skills improved with Toastmasters, but the anxiety was still crippling. I no longer fear giving workshops and presentations. I only need take it prior to giving a presentation - just once in a while - and a single pill does the trick. Far superior to anxiety meds like Xanax. Propranolol reduces the anxiety with no negative effects on my performance, and no side effects that I've noticed.

October 29, 2014 4:24 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I was having horrible migraines over the last year. Finally I started talking to a neurologist. After trying a couple other things he suggested propranolol. It has been life changing! I have been on it for 3 months and have had maybe 4 headaches. I hadn't looked into the reviews before now, but I'm glad other users think there is a link between this medicine and weight gain.

October 28, 2014 3:42 PM

Review by mama0514:

For Performance Anxiety: I must really have a problem. I take it for singing at church. But need a much higher dose than most I see on here. When I am just singing with the Praise Team I take 60 mg, but when I sing a solo I take 100 mg to feel no symptoms of heart palpitations, feelign like my throat is going to close with no notes coming out. And im 5'3 115 lbs female...started with 10mg and kept having to increase dosage until I felt symptoms gone during a performance. Seriously dont know what I would do without this medication!!

October 26, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Speech Paranoid (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: My dad always raved about how wonderful this medicine is for speech anxiety and I am finishing up my bachelors degree.. Needless to say I put my 'Public Speaking' course until my last semester.. I took 20mgs an hour before my speech and did I nail it!! I wasn't nervous at all.. And I usually feel like I'm going to puke before a presentation! This is a miracle for me and I will definitely take it again for speeches later on! Would highly recommend to anyone with "stage fright" or fearful of talking in front of others!

October 23, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by Confident speaker:

For Performance Anxiety: I use to run off stage or start crying on stage due to extreme fear of public speaking. My voice trembled so terribly that my nickname was baa baa sheep. I suffered from this phobia for over thirty years and I took propanolol for the first time and I was a stunner during my presentation. Thank you to whoever created this medication.

October 14, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by rosstex (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Benign Essential Tremor: This is a miracle for my essential tremor. It effectively mitigates the tremors in all parts of the body. It used to be debilitating to face stressful situations at work or socially, as my 'shakes' would rear their ugly head in my voice and in any movement. Afterwards, the nervousness is still there, but the tremor is gone. 40mg 2x daily.

October 14, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by ADC1325:

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: Have been taking for over 25 years. Very good control of my migraines.

October 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by ellie baby:

Inderal (propranolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have been on this medicine for over 10yrs they had to switch me to this medicine because the other medicine I was on wasn't working anyway more. I was on atenolol for awhile for rapid heart rate and then I had chest pains so they switched me to Inderal because I had mitro-valve, so far it is working.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by haley228190:

For Performance Anxiety: Prescribed this for panic disorder. Just had a "thought induced panic attack", I was crying and sobbing uncontrollably, screaming, hyperventilating, pulling my hair out. The usual! Managed to take 30mg, having been completely dubious, within 30 seconds I just stopped. A wave of calm washed over me. Usually these episodes last 2 - 6 hours. Incredible medicine! Can't actually believe it, I totally thought nothing could stop me.

October 11, 2014 9:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: Great medicine for panic attacks, no anxiety and body symptoms after taking it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by fastmam:

For Performance Anxiety: very good drug .. it helps me to beat my fearing to talk in front of people .. I took 40 mg an hour before my presentition and I feel comfertable without that annoying rapidly heart beating .. highly recommended

September 22, 2014 5:08 PM