User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Hemangioma 1 reviews 2 medications

Heart Attack 1 reviews 120 medications

5.5
Summary of Propranolol reviews 416 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propranolol

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking 100 milligrams of propranolol for 1 year now and it has reduced the number of migraines significantly. I still take Imitrex when I do get a migraine but not as often. Propranolol does however cause impotence. I have seen the number of comments regarding weight gain but I actually started taking Cymbalta at the same time and lost 30 pounds so I have no comment on that issue."

jvillari May 29, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is a life saver. I always had a fear of public speaking and have gone to great lengths to avoid every occasion to speak to a group. I have stammered in the past wherever I have mustered up the courage to speak to a group, this is despite a lot of preparation. A couple of weeks ago I was to make a 1 hour presentation to a group of overseas customers, I took a dose of 10mg two hours before my presentation and 2X10mg an hour before. I was quite surprised at the way I was able to handle the presentation, very confident, no stage fright, no performance anxiety. Many in the audience complimented me after my presentation, little did they know of my past struggle with speaking in public."

Baiju (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "Incredible results! I used 80 mg (40 mg about 1 h before and 40 mg 10 to 15 minutes before the presentation) since my weight is 85 kg. No more fear of public presentations, especially when a microphone was involved!!"

Ddlm73 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "These reviews are highly accurate. I have suffered public speaking anxiety my whole life but I'm in a position now in my job where I have no choice but to speak. Used this for the first time yesterday. Took 20 mg about 1.5 hours before my speech and was totally clam the whole time I was up there. No shaking, no racing heart and no quivering voice. Awesome! Highly recommend."

No more fear May 27, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "I have always had the fear of speeches. Everyday I would play a scene in my head whereby im asked to present in front of the team and this was my worst nightmare. It influenced many choices I have made (what courses to take, whether to apply for jobs with presentations etc). I had tried meditation, been on public speaking courses, I even used alcohol to get through some. Eventually I went to the doctors and prescribed propanolol, I took 10mg 2 hours and then 10mg 30 mins before a presentation. Today I managed to present in front of 50 people for the first time. I was hesitant just before... but once up there I was cool and calm. It was AMAZING. No shaky voice or hands, I just did it. One of the most significant days of my life."

Ronimm May 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I have had intense panic attacks when talking to a bunch of people, giving presentations and explaining myself to strangers. When giving presentations, there have been instances when i felt really embarrassing and humiliating due to panic attacks. My heart pounds like hell and my body is no more in my control with very narrow and blurring vision and shortness of breath. I checked my heartbeat once before presentation and it was 165-175 bpm. For the record, my bpm while running stays somewhere between 150-160 bpm. After taking a 40mg propanolol before 2 hours and 40mg before 1 hour (total of 80mg as i didnt know whether ot would work or not), i was very calm and in control and no more heart pounding, no more shortness of breath."

Aliikbkjj (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "I had two very different experiences with Propranolol. After a long break from work after having a baby, I needed Propranolol to start all the interview process, etc. After taking it everyday (40mg twice a day), I developed a terrible Insomnia. Then I found myself in a nightmare taking something to calm me down in day time and not having any sleep AT ALL at night because of it. So I was prescribed sleeping pills. I managed to stop it all after a few months and took nothing for years. I started feeling a bit anxious once again and started Propranolol couple of weeks ago. I realised that if you take it small doses, only when needed, it's actually fine. Just before speeches, interviews, 10mg up to 20 mg. No Insomnia! Good luck"

Prepme (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "This pill does what a decade of therapy failed to do and it costs WAY less. I had to take a speech class for college--a class that i'd been putting off for yrs (had already failed once due to anxiety). My dr prescribed this when i mentioned what happens when i have to do any kind of public speaking (my flight or fight response goes through the roof and i can barely speak my voice gets so shaky). Did i still get nervous? Yes, but it makes a HUGE difference because not only did it eliminate the whole racing heart and shaking voice thing but it actually made me more confident cause i knew no matter how much my speech sucked that i'd be able to deliver it cool as a cucumber. FYI chewing a small dose 5 mins before makes it fast acting!"

Anonymous10000008 May 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have a really bad case of anxiety, including not being able to sit, having panic attack after panic attack, not being able to stay at work. I also have a benign tremor. I was on Gabapentin, Risperdal and Lamictal. Didn't work. My body has the opposite effect of what is supposed to happen for most drugs. I have my psych completely confused. I suggested Propanolol to her just to try and after someone suggested it to me. Two doses of 10 mg a day. I have been on Propanolol for 2 weeks and OH MY GOD, as far as I can tell this is a miracle drug. My anxiety is GONE. My shakes are GONE. No side effects, except maybe increased hunger. Hard to tell, because risperdal does that to me too. I cannot explain how amazing I feel!"

Shawn12345 May 11, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "I gave speeches and presentations for years with mild anxiety, but did pretty well. All of a sudden at a meeting I had to get up and present some information and my heart rate shot up. I couldn't catch my breath. It was the most embarrassing experience of my life. I literally had to sit down. Thankfully I moved to a new town and was offered a position that required speaking often in front of groups. Out of desperation I went to my doctor and he prescribed propranolol. 20mg one hour before speaking and I'm a little dizzy, but the symptoms were gone. It does not relieve pre-speech anxiety, but miraculously keeps the symptoms at bay. Bottom line it works."

LongTimeeer May 10, 2016

For Benign Essential Tremor: "Over the past 27 years I have has two major meningiomas removed, front bone flap removed, titanium cranioplasty and removed, in all 5 craniotomies. The last on 2005 since well before that time I have had essential tremors as the first tumor was between the frontal lobes of the brain causing moderate gliosis. I have been taking deralin (propranolol) 20mg x 2 daily with reasonable control of my hands. Recently my Dr reduced my dosage to 10mg x 2 daily and tremors on some days are now very bad. I am not quite sure why, but I did have a period diabetic problems (type2) ranging from Hi to Lo readings which was thought to have been cause by an infection (I am 81) Hopefully he will raise the dose soon."

Sploddy May 8, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "As other users have stated, I have had severe stage fright anxiety since I was at highschool. I dread presentations, I would avoid them at all costs!! But it has come to a time in my life when I could avoid them no more, so I did some googling and this wonderful drug came up. I went to my doc, he said it was safe to use. I took 20mg 1.5hrs before my speech, I was sceptical though! But when It was my turn, I got up and felt nothing.. It was amazing!!! My usual fight or flight response was gone! No rapid pounding heart, no sweats, no shakes, no nervous voice, NOTHING! I was cool and calm, it was unbelievable! Would recommend to anyone suffering severe performance anxiety. But also note it does make you feel a little sluggish, Goodluck!"

Cured!!!! May 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "It worked for me I didn't leave my house for months except to go to the doctor. I had to lean on my husband to get to the car Doing much better now I can even attend family occasions This is much better than Xanax, which I had a very hard time getting off of."

AnnieBannie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "At 35 I was put on propranolol for anxiety, migraine, and hypertension... Complete impotence, Non responsive, nada... Nothing, even with the 100MG of Viag."

Cm156000 May 4, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "Like the other comments explained: the drug does not eliminate the nerves, but it enables you to function normally. Definitely the number one choice for anyone suffering from fear of public speaking."

Nick91 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "Even 30 mg works!"

IHusainI April 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm 18. After a terrible experience on citalopram (antidepressant) to treat anxiety i was really reluctant to take any more medication,. I wanted to feel normal and be able to enjoy the company of others again, i bit the bullet and took 40mg propanolol and within in an hour, i was perfectly still and could concentrate on my work rather than the physical symptoms i could feel!! It also gave me cold hands and feet and breath, but i can more than deal with that!! I also have asthma but as long as i dont do anything too strenuous im fine. I also did a speech this week in a calm collected manner. Doesnt stop the cognitive symptoms like worrying but taking the physical symptoms stops the cycle in its tracks. So glad i was offered this drug."

Mondaymadness (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "I feel I needed to share this as this medicine has definitely helped me. I have had performance anxiety for quite some time. I've tried multiple methods to help ease any fight or flight feelings right before presentations and they have been hit and miss. I used propranolol for the first time last week for a presentation that has been causing me stress. It was a lifesaver. It doesn't get rid of the anxiety, but it gets rid of the fight or flight response my body gets sometimes. That is the worst part of presenting. So while this doesn't get rid of anxiety, it really lowers the dreadful feelings. It you need it, I suggest trying it."

Rando4 April 25, 2016

For Benign Essential Tremor: "So I started off taking this medication 3 weeks. And I thought it would be great. I have Essental tremors, hypertension, and my cardiologist was waiting for a few test results before confirming tachycardyia. while blood pressure and heart rate are signifigantly improved. Went from 133 bpm to 84 and 155/95 to 134/75 the tremors haven't stopped. Not to mention the side effects for me. Increased depression, insomina, dizziness, and nightmares."

Jaw Tremor (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was given Propranolol for heart palpitations. It was ongoing for a few days due to anxiety and stress. I was given 10mg to be taken twice a day and three times a day for 3 days. I did not react well to this medication. Day two I started to feel drunk, and in another world. My eye slight was not right. I was unable to eat, I couldn't sleep, it caused severe panic, shaking, sweating. I stopped taking it after day 4. Stopping this medication suddenly can be unsafe for people with heart issues, but I had to stop taking it due to the side effects. It caused me horrible withdrawal even after 4 days of taking, I was even more sick after I had stopped. It's now day 6 after stopping, and I'm almost back to normal. I do not recommend this product"

Ninabb (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Performance Anxiety: "three words- AN ABSOLUTE MIRACLE. Propranolol has literally saved my career. I am an outgoing, social, funny woman but for some reason, I have paralyzing fear of speaking in front of a group; even to just introduce myself (which is crazy!!). 2-10mg pills about an hour before a presentation and I can speak with compete ease and absolutely NO symptoms of nervousness. People even comment afterwards saying how great I did. Propranolol is a life saver!!!"

Gdubs April 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was in the process of discontinuing a SSRI antidepressant and struggling with out-of-nowhere bouts of intense anxiety. I could literally sit at my desk, read something relaxing and then I would suddenly feel my heart racing, stomach cramping, hands becoming very cold but sweaty at the same time - for no reason. Then obviously my mind picked up on that, anxious racing thoughts appeared, I was getting some chest pains too. After an attack like that it was really hard to calm down, so then I couldn't fall asleep. 10mg propranolol in the morning was enough to stop these attacks from occurring and somehow without those nasty physical symptoms my anxiety levels were much lower, so I was able to carry on working/socializing without any problems."

Ichiko (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "This didn't do much of anything for my anxiety. It took away some of the physical symptoms, but I was still anxious and I still had panic attacks. It also made my blood pressure lower than it already was, so I was pretty sluggish. I can see how it would work well for someone who only has performance anxiety, but I don't recommend it for people like me."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Propranolol has reduced the frequency of migraines during the past 8 months that I've been on it. However, it makes me so tired and "out-of-it" that I'm lethargic...so I've put on 15 pounds and I never want to do anything! I can't stand this awful side effect. I'm 46, female, and now weigh 160. Was at 145 before propranolol. The size Large pants are getting tight. I'll be in XL soon if I stay in this medication. It doesn't help that I'm also on Lyrica since one month ago (so now I'm even MORE tired and confused!) Tried topamax in the past to prevent migraines. It did help in my 30s, but not in my 40s."

$dazedandconfused$ April 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "I used to be a confident person until I was in an abusive relationship for several years. After that, I couldn't launch my legal career because I would tremble and have a racing heart for days before an anticipated stressful event such as a deposition or hearing. I have an uncontrollable fear of angry men. I've had therapy, tried self-soothing, meditation, lorazapam, nothing worked until propranolol. I take 10mg before an anticipated stressful event, and all my anxiety melts away, with no trembling, heart pounding. Best of all, there seem to be no side effects - I don't feel like I'm on any drugs, I just feel like myself minus the shaking and horrible anxiety. I no longer have sleepless nights where my heart is racing because I'm so anxious"

Back to confident again April 15, 2016