User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

6.9
High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 185 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Billybongthorton (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Went to the doctor to help with a clonidine taper. Clonidine was prescribed for methadone withdrawal along with Valium. Got off the methadone pretty easy considering how messed up I was. Now stuck with physical clonidine addiction after being on it for 3 months. Was prescribed propranolol for day time control of rebound high blood pressure and withdrawal anxiety and so far it is working amazingly. I feel like I could talk in front of 100,000 people and not flinch in fear. Because propranolol has its own withdrawal if you are on it too long just like clonidine but at least this time I am aware of the possibility rather than blindly taking some medication.

April 14, 2014 2:39 PM
Review by Jim Snt: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: It truly is a miracle. Only thing I'll add differently, I wouldn't take it before an exam, as it kind of makes you a little foggy with the thought process. People can typically deal with this anxiety because its not speaking in front of people but definitely take it before speaking.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 11:49 PM
Review by keross: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I used to be a singer but had to quit because of worsening panic attacks (including twitching face muscles - the shame). I hated myself for quitting but saw no other choice. I was working as an EFL teacher and eventually had to quit that too because facing a class suddenly became overwhelming. Staff meetings were impossible, presentations at training sessions were out of the question, until even talking to my small class made me want to run far far away. So I became a freelance copywriter so I could stay at home and not face anyone. I was alone for about 6 years. About 6 months ago somebody told me about propanolol. My new job starts Monday. Thank you, thank you thank you, modern medicine, from me and my family, for giving me my life back

March 28, 2014 3:15 PM
Review by farhatruf: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Although a very good medicine to overcome the performance anxiety, however one must take into account its two long term side effects: 1. Risk of diabetes due to this medicine 2. memory loss Please share your experience.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 1:47 PM
Review by JASkq: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it.

March 23, 2014 12:39 AM
Review by Anonymous 34: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety.

March 10, 2014 5:46 PM
Review by Loopybird (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I have been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, which is difficult as it prevents me from doing day to day activities, I am doing the exposure and response treatment by myself whilst on the list to go see a professional in CBT. It causes me severe anxiety. I got panicky on buses and at work and would be so afraid of having a panic attack I'd avoid stuff. I told my DR and he gave me these anxiety tablets. My OCD was playing up so I was scaring myself into avoiding taking them incase I became dependent on them. I had an important meeting, I knew I needed help with so I took one, it worked! I took 4 buses in one day went to my meeting and felt confident again no anxiety at all. It doesn't stop your OCD worries however it stops anxiety which helped me.

March 1, 2014 11:07 PM
Review by Miracle pill: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Like lots of you that have commented. I have a huge fear of speaking in front of large groups of people. I'm in sales and I'm great in 1 on 1 or smalls groups when making a sales call. But when I'm asked to speak or get up and talk in company sales meetings that usually consist of 50 people. I freak out instant red face shaky hands trembling voice the whole 9 yards. I was to the point of making a career change from a job that I loved because I lost hope in fixing this problem. Until my doctor prescribed me propranolol or the miracle pill! I take 1 20mg pill about 1 hour before a meeting and 1 take another 10mg right before the meeting. I loose all fear no shaky hands no red face my heart rate is calm I think clear and speak well. Love it.

March 1, 2014 3:38 AM
Review by lmnop657 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I am a professional in my late 20s who has had to do a lot of public speaking as of late for work. I have somehow coped with the symptoms of my performance anxiety (extreme heart beat, flushed face, shaking, frozen mind, inability to form complete thoughts, stuttering) until recently since my job depends upon my public speaking and the anxiety has become over burden some. No matter how hard I prepared for public speaking before, I would always experience these debilitating symptoms. Went to doctor who prescribed propranolol before performances. It is really like magic. It completely eliminates my awful physical symptoms. I feel totally relaxed and able to perform to my fullest. Has changed my life! Wish I knew about it years ago!

February 25, 2014 1:52 AM
Review by ms. evie: User Rating:

propranolol for Arrhythmia: Tried other meds for arrhythmia but all had side effects I couldn't deal with. This one was most tolerable although it causes some fatigue and dizziness at times which are issues I already deal with-Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I try to take it at night or at a time when I can rest after taking it if I need to.

February 19, 2014 8:48 PM
Review by ELLIE Jo: User Rating:

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I've been on this medicine for at least 10yrs. It has been working so far. I was on something else before they found out that I had Mitral Valve Prolapse all I had was tachycardia then they found the MVP and the meds I was on wasn't working so I was put on this.

February 18, 2014 10:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Anxiety: Made me suicidal.

February 6, 2014 1:21 PM
Review by Edward812k: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: My entire life, I have had a fear of public speaking that is so intense I would literally shut down and stop talking in the middle of a presentation. My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest, my mind goes completely blank, I turn red-faced, and my body and voice begin to tremble uncontrollably. I failed college courses, changed jobs, and altered my entire life just to avoid speaking in public. It was such a difficult and embarrassing problem that filled me with so much shame. One day, a friend told me about propranolol and so I went to the Doctor. The Doc prescribed and I can now present like a professional with zero anxiety. Simply put, this medicine changed my entire life and I would recommend it to anyone with anxiety.

February 6, 2014 12:49 PM
Review by Norfolk David (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I had read about the calming effects of this drug and my doctor kindly prescribed me some ahead of my Mother's funeral. I was intending to deliver a eulogy of about 10 minutes duration and I really did not want to break down as I was speaking. There is nothing worse than a sobbing speaker. I took Propanalol about 1 hour before the service and it made a huge difference. I was calm throughout the service and I delivered the whole eulogy without any cracking in my voice. I even remembered to look around the audience and engage people by eye. Everyone was very impressed and I was mightily relieved. I will definitely take this medication before any future public speaking.

January 19, 2014 4:37 AM
Review by CGRAHAM00: User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2014 10:50 PM
Review by DanaLM: User Rating:

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2014 8:23 PM
Review by A rabbit: User Rating:

propranolol for High Blood Pressure: Took propranolol ER 80 mg before bedtime for the first time and woke up significantly calm and rested and my blood pressure went down to 129/79 versus 140/89 with a 30 day average. We'll see how it goes the next 30 days. At least I do not feel the need for a Valium this morning.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 4, 2014 9:07 AM
Review by Amanda Glamdoll: User Rating:

propranolol for High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure was lowered immediately after beginning this medicine, also helps with nervous shakes (visible in the hands and feet). It's a great prescription! I've combined this with sodium reduction and relaxation exercises and I have seen My BP drop to the level it was when I was an 18 year old vegetarian and just 80 lbs. Recommend taking this prescription if you are prescribed it. I was lightheaded and dizzy when I took first dose, but not a single issue since that.

January 1, 2014 9:15 AM
Review by natty13: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I have a severe phobia of public speaking and major physiological signs and symptoms when doing so. I would have a pounding heart, sweat, shaking hands, and a trembling voice, and my mind would even go completely blank. In my career, I had to speak in public on a regular basis and I lived in fear of each speaking event. I was prescribed propranolol to take an hour before I had to do any public speaking and it helped me out tremendously. I had no physiological symptoms at all while speaking. It is a miracle. I highly recommend propranolol for this indication.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 3:08 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Anxiety: Didn't do much for my anxiety. I still had shortness of breath and that "pit" in my stomach. There was maybe a little less shakiness, but other than that, I still felt anxious. Now I'm on lorazepam, which works much better for me. However, I could understand why many people do not want to take benzos might want to at least give this a try. It just wasn't for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 11, 2013 10:24 PM
Review by no medicine is perfect: User Rating:

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: I had a social phobia for a long time with a rapid out of control heart beat, its a big difference since I started taking this medicine, anxiety is a lot less, and more out going with the public and less fear, but the only side effect that I'm not comfortable with is delayed ejaculation.

December 8, 2013 3:24 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I cannot believe how effective this medicine is. Usually I would be shaky, bright red and my voice would sound like I'm about to cry or something. After taking 40mg before my presentation I was as cool as a cucumber! Kept thinking during the presentation, I can't believe I am able to do this and not feel embarrassed. Won't fear presentations anymore.

December 5, 2013 4:08 PM
Review by Michael69: User Rating:

propranolol for Anxiety: After 7 years on various SSRI's and many other tried and tested medicines I finally stumbled across propranolol. A truly life changing medicine for my anxiety disorder. I always presented with high blood pressure and my belief is that hypertension is an underlying cause of crippling anxiety. If it isn't then it is most certainly involved in the anxiety circle, more hypertension, more anxiety, more hypertension, etc. Anyway this is the best medication I have ever taken...my mind and body seem to be healing in a way I can only describe as miraculous! Please bear with this medication, although it does work immediately I'd say it takes around 6 weeks to fully bed in.

November 26, 2013 2:35 AM
Review by jenna strawberry: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Well, I must be a really bad case. Seems like 10-20 mg does the trick for most people. I'm a singer/guitarist. I took 10 mg the first time one hour before performance...didn't work. Next time took 20 mg....didn't work. Next time I'll try 30 mg. I'm only 5'3", 103 pounds.

November 22, 2013 10:04 PM
Review by StrongPresenter (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I was horrendous at talking publically and had run away from giving presentations so much so that I had changed jobs and never given a presentation in my life. I took a new job I knew I would love but involved presentations so went to my Doc. He prescribed Propanolol quick release and what can I say? Amazing... Now timing and amounts are trial and error. I am a big guy - 6'2, 220 lbs so for me I stagger mine and take 80mg 1hr 45 before, 80 mg 1hr 30 before and 80mg 1hr 15 before and for that hour I am amazing. So 240 mg in total. I would not recommend starting out on this dose. For women try 20mg and men 40mg and move up if required. Side effects for me - hard to sleep if I have taken after 2pm, extra sweating and no cardio within 4 hours

November 13, 2013 10:01 AM