User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Review by Billybongthorton (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: Went to the doctor to help with a clonidine taper. Clonidine was prescribed for methadone withdrawal along with Valium. Got off the methadone pretty easy considering how messed up I was. Now stuck with physical clonidine addiction after being on it for 3 months. Was prescribed propranolol for day time control of rebound high blood pressure and withdrawal anxiety and so far it is working amazingly. I feel like I could talk in front of 100,000 people and not flinch in fear. Because propranolol has its own withdrawal if you are on it too long just like clonidine but at least this time I am aware of the possibility rather than blindly taking some medication.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 14, 2014 2:39 PM
Review by Jim Snt: User Rating:

propranolol: It truly is a miracle. Only thing I'll add differently, I wouldn't take it before an exam, as it kind of makes you a little foggy with the thought process. People can typically deal with this anxiety because its not speaking in front of people but definitely take it before speaking.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 11:49 PM
Review by keross: User Rating:

propranolol: I used to be a singer but had to quit because of worsening panic attacks (including twitching face muscles - the shame). I hated myself for quitting but saw no other choice. I was working as an EFL teacher and eventually had to quit that too because facing a class suddenly became overwhelming. Staff meetings were impossible, presentations at training sessions were out of the question, until even talking to my small class made me want to run far far away. So I became a freelance copywriter so I could stay at home and not face anyone. I was alone for about 6 years. About 6 months ago somebody told me about propanolol. My new job starts Monday. Thank you, thank you thank you, modern medicine, from me and my family, for giving me my life back

March 28, 2014 3:15 PM
Review by farhatruf: User Rating:

propranolol: Although a very good medicine to overcome the performance anxiety, however one must take into account its two long term side effects: 1. Risk of diabetes due to this medicine 2. memory loss Please share your experience.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 1:47 PM
Review by JASkq: User Rating:

propranolol: Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it.

March 23, 2014 12:39 AM
Review by Anonymous 34: User Rating:

propranolol: Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety.

March 10, 2014 5:46 PM
Review by Loopybird (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: I have been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, which is difficult as it prevents me from doing day to day activities, I am doing the exposure and response treatment by myself whilst on the list to go see a professional in CBT. It causes me severe anxiety. I got panicky on buses and at work and would be so afraid of having a panic attack I'd avoid stuff. I told my DR and he gave me these anxiety tablets. My OCD was playing up so I was scaring myself into avoiding taking them incase I became dependent on them. I had an important meeting, I knew I needed help with so I took one, it worked! I took 4 buses in one day went to my meeting and felt confident again no anxiety at all. It doesn't stop your OCD worries however it stops anxiety which helped me.

March 1, 2014 11:07 PM
Review by Miracle pill: User Rating:

propranolol: Like lots of you that have commented. I have a huge fear of speaking in front of large groups of people. I'm in sales and I'm great in 1 on 1 or smalls groups when making a sales call. But when I'm asked to speak or get up and talk in company sales meetings that usually consist of 50 people. I freak out instant red face shaky hands trembling voice the whole 9 yards. I was to the point of making a career change from a job that I loved because I lost hope in fixing this problem. Until my doctor prescribed me propranolol or the miracle pill! I take 1 20mg pill about 1 hour before a meeting and 1 take another 10mg right before the meeting. I loose all fear no shaky hands no red face my heart rate is calm I think clear and speak well. Love it.

March 1, 2014 3:38 AM
Review by lmnop657 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: I am a professional in my late 20s who has had to do a lot of public speaking as of late for work. I have somehow coped with the symptoms of my performance anxiety (extreme heart beat, flushed face, shaking, frozen mind, inability to form complete thoughts, stuttering) until recently since my job depends upon my public speaking and the anxiety has become over burden some. No matter how hard I prepared for public speaking before, I would always experience these debilitating symptoms. Went to doctor who prescribed propranolol before performances. It is really like magic. It completely eliminates my awful physical symptoms. I feel totally relaxed and able to perform to my fullest. Has changed my life! Wish I knew about it years ago!

February 25, 2014 1:52 AM
Review by Edward812k: User Rating:

propranolol: My entire life, I have had a fear of public speaking that is so intense I would literally shut down and stop talking in the middle of a presentation. My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest, my mind goes completely blank, I turn red-faced, and my body and voice begin to tremble uncontrollably. I failed college courses, changed jobs, and altered my entire life just to avoid speaking in public. It was such a difficult and embarrassing problem that filled me with so much shame. One day, a friend told me about propranolol and so I went to the Doctor. The Doc prescribed and I can now present like a professional with zero anxiety. Simply put, this medicine changed my entire life and I would recommend it to anyone with anxiety.

February 6, 2014 12:49 PM
Review by Norfolk David (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: I had read about the calming effects of this drug and my doctor kindly prescribed me some ahead of my Mother's funeral. I was intending to deliver a eulogy of about 10 minutes duration and I really did not want to break down as I was speaking. There is nothing worse than a sobbing speaker. I took Propanalol about 1 hour before the service and it made a huge difference. I was calm throughout the service and I delivered the whole eulogy without any cracking in my voice. I even remembered to look around the audience and engage people by eye. Everyone was very impressed and I was mightily relieved. I will definitely take this medication before any future public speaking.

January 19, 2014 4:37 AM
Review by natty13: User Rating:

propranolol: I have a severe phobia of public speaking and major physiological signs and symptoms when doing so. I would have a pounding heart, sweat, shaking hands, and a trembling voice, and my mind would even go completely blank. In my career, I had to speak in public on a regular basis and I lived in fear of each speaking event. I was prescribed propranolol to take an hour before I had to do any public speaking and it helped me out tremendously. I had no physiological symptoms at all while speaking. It is a miracle. I highly recommend propranolol for this indication.

December 13, 2013 3:08 AM
Review by no medicine is perfect: User Rating:

Inderal (propranolol): I had a social phobia for a long time with a rapid out of control heart beat, its a big difference since I started taking this medicine, anxiety is a lot less, and more out going with the public and less fear, but the only side effect that I'm not comfortable with is delayed ejaculation.

December 8, 2013 3:24 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: I cannot believe how effective this medicine is. Usually I would be shaky, bright red and my voice would sound like I'm about to cry or something. After taking 40mg before my presentation I was as cool as a cucumber! Kept thinking during the presentation, I can't believe I am able to do this and not feel embarrassed. Won't fear presentations anymore.

December 5, 2013 4:08 PM
Review by jenna strawberry: User Rating:

propranolol: Well, I must be a really bad case. Seems like 10-20 mg does the trick for most people. I'm a singer/guitarist. I took 10 mg the first time one hour before performance...didn't work. Next time took 20 mg....didn't work. Next time I'll try 30 mg. I'm only 5'3", 103 pounds.

November 22, 2013 10:04 PM
Review by StrongPresenter (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

propranolol: I was horrendous at talking publically and had run away from giving presentations so much so that I had changed jobs and never given a presentation in my life. I took a new job I knew I would love but involved presentations so went to my Doc. He prescribed Propanolol quick release and what can I say? Amazing... Now timing and amounts are trial and error. I am a big guy - 6'2, 220 lbs so for me I stagger mine and take 80mg 1hr 45 before, 80 mg 1hr 30 before and 80mg 1hr 15 before and for that hour I am amazing. So 240 mg in total. I would not recommend starting out on this dose. For women try 20mg and men 40mg and move up if required. Side effects for me - hard to sleep if I have taken after 2pm, extra sweating and no cardio within 4 hours

November 13, 2013 10:01 AM
Review by Nuala M: User Rating:

propranolol: This drug changed everything for me. I am a singer.. A bloody good one at that and the one thing that always stopped me was stage fright. I was terrified. Didn't seem to matter how often I made myself sing solo and how many times I felt so amazing after that solo, next time would be just as bad or worse. I would literally vibrate, even the muscles in my face would quiver and I had no control. For years I struggled with this until someone finally convinced me to go to the doctors.. I felt ridiculous even saying this to him thinking he was basically going to tell me to get over it. Instead he calmly said 'ok I'm going to prescribe you a small dosage of propranolol' .. And that was it. The crippling stage fright was just gone.. Like magic :)

November 6, 2013 10:59 AM
Review by Anonymoussssss: User Rating:

propranolol: I used to get so red, and feel my heart will get out of my chest when I want to make a presentation in the university. Until the day I tried propranolol and it was more than a miracle. I felt so confident, so strong and did excellent in my presentations, with only 10mg half an hour before. That's AMAZING and life changing indeed.

September 18, 2013 10:12 AM
Review by Blusher (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: This medication really helped by anxiety. I took 20 mg one hour before going to work and when my boss asked me how was I, I didn't blush as usual and didn't feel so uncomfortable. Even though I thought the symptoms will come but was surprised that I didn't blush.

August 28, 2013 6:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol: The beta-blockers have been an amazing comfort to me for really stressful presentations or broadcast interviews - where I am able to perform without being red-faced and shaky. HOWEVER, I don't take them often because the side effects I experience are vivid (almost waking) nightmares. For instance, the night of one presentation, I was woken up by a strange man in my room... in reality he wasn't a stranger, he was my husband, but in my waking dream, I didn't have a husband and I had never seen him before in my life - I was absolutely terrified he was going to hurt me. I nearly punched him (in reality) in my attempt to get away from my loving and confused husband.

August 23, 2013 2:52 AM
Review by Changes everything!! (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

propranolol: I have always had a debilitating fear of public speaking, to the point I would worry months before I knew I was giving a presentation. In my line of work, it is an important skill to be able to give oral presentations and I knew it was something I would have to fix. My doctor prescribed me propranolol. I was reluctant, but after reading others reviews, I gave it a shot. It honestly is the BEST thing my doctor could have prescribed me. I am able to give a presentation without shaking and actually feel at ease. I hope over time as my confidence builds, I will be able to deliver a speech without it.

August 19, 2013 12:05 AM
Review by PropranololRocks (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

propranolol: I got on here just to rate this medicine, ironically, after reading about it on here. I'm a professional speaker and performer who for years was an amateur wannabe speaker and performer. I have a lot of involuntary nervousness like redness and shaking hands which would sabotage me despite my general level of comfort and quality of presentation. Take 10-40 mg 30 mins to an hour and it becomes physically impossible to get nervous. Now I'm rapidly moving up in my field thanks to my poise and confidence.

August 9, 2013 7:04 PM
Review by Sara8614: User Rating:

propranolol: It works like a charm - stops the sweating and shaking and hot flashes ascociated with performance anxiety. Makes me calm and able to focus. And absolutely no side efffects. Also, I haven't had a headache in the six months I've been on it.

August 8, 2013 8:42 AM
Review by wayne - londonn: User Rating:

propranolol: Really works, also stopped headaches that I have had for 10 years. Down side on libido - haven't had erection since taking it.

July 14, 2013 6:27 AM
Review by A miracle pill (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol: I sometimes get picked to read Bible lessons in the Church on Sundays & I would go forward and mess up terribly - shaking, voice breaking, hands sweating, etc. This got real bad that I had to discuss it with my doctor. I actually asked him for Xanax but instead, he prescribed Propanolol. This medicine worked miracles. I even started to think I did not need it anymore until one day I didn't take it and I was called to read the Bible lesson. I had the worst experience of my life that day and promised myself I would never go to Church anymore without taking Propranolol. Since after that day, everything has been okay - of course, with Propranolol. I did not know any medicine could be that effective! I take 10-15mg as needed 1-2 hrs before Church.

July 12, 2013 2:38 AM