User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Review by dtt:

Used it today for a work presentation and it worked. At some point later in the day I had to hold back the tears thinking about how my life would have been different had I known about this medicine. I'm 42 years old and wish I knew about this 20 years ago.

November 14, 2014 6:21 PM

Really suffered with public speaking anxiety to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation and had to stop. Friend recommended propranolol and the difference it made was remarkable. Felt slightly nervous when I had to give a presentation to a large group but when I started talking felt completely at ease. No issues at all. If anyone suffers with the same thing I implore you to see your GP/doctor and get this prescribed.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by Zx:

Was very anxious and became depressed after my father was diagnosed terminally ill. I started a new job which didn't help with the stress. Was having often panic attacks. Now I feel amazing. I now have my life back. Without this I think I would of had to be hospitalised. Thank goodness. Life is good again.

November 2, 2014 9:19 PM

This is quiet literally a miracle medicine. I used to give presentations all of the time to big groups of people but over the years seem to develop a fear and would be anxious for days leading up to the presentation ... not anymore. I take 1 10mg red pill 1hr before the presentation and because the heart is not racing the rest of me is perfectly calm and relaxed. You still need to prepared and know your stuff or be well rehearsed for a speech but outside of that you now have nothing to worry about. This is truly a life and game changer for anyone who has to give public presentations.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 4:43 PM

Review by scared speaker (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I recently was promoted but with that came public speaking. I was a mess! Sweating, shortness of breath, shaking, not being able to think straight...it was awful! My dr prescribed this and the transformation was unbelievable!

October 31, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by MadameLily (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Inderal (propranolol): Works like a miracle. My job requires some presentation skills and no amount of practice reduced the anxiety. My speaking skills improved with Toastmasters, but the anxiety was still crippling. I no longer fear giving workshops and presentations. I only need take it prior to giving a presentation - just once in a while - and a single pill does the trick. Far superior to anxiety meds like Xanax. Propranolol reduces the anxiety with no negative effects on my performance, and no side effects that I've noticed.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by mama0514:

I must really have a problem. I take it for singing at church. But need a much higher dose than most I see on here. When I am just singing with the Praise Team I take 60 mg, but when I sing a solo I take 100 mg to feel no symptoms of heart palpitations, feelign like my throat is going to close with no notes coming out. And im 5'3 115 lbs female...started with 10mg and kept having to increase dosage until I felt symptoms gone during a performance. Seriously dont know what I would do without this medication!!

October 26, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Speech Paranoid (taken for less than 1 month):

My dad always raved about how wonderful this medicine is for speech anxiety and I am finishing up my bachelors degree.. Needless to say I put my 'Public Speaking' course until my last semester.. I took 20mgs an hour before my speech and did I nail it!! I wasn't nervous at all.. And I usually feel like I'm going to puke before a presentation! This is a miracle for me and I will definitely take it again for speeches later on! Would highly recommend to anyone with "stage fright" or fearful of talking in front of others!

October 23, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by Confident speaker:

I use to run off stage or start crying on stage due to extreme fear of public speaking. My voice trembled so terribly that my nickname was baa baa sheep. I suffered from this phobia for over thirty years and I took propanolol for the first time and I was a stunner during my presentation. Thank you to whoever created this medication.

October 14, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by haley228190:

Prescribed this for panic disorder. Just had a "thought induced panic attack", I was crying and sobbing uncontrollably, screaming, hyperventilating, pulling my hair out. The usual! Managed to take 30mg, having been completely dubious, within 30 seconds I just stopped. A wave of calm washed over me. Usually these episodes last 2 - 6 hours. Incredible medicine! Can't actually believe it, I totally thought nothing could stop me.

October 11, 2014 9:25 PM

Review by fastmam:

very good drug .. it helps me to beat my fearing to talk in front of people .. I took 40 mg an hour before my presentition and I feel comfertable without that annoying rapidly heart beating .. highly recommended

September 22, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Jdiddy12 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered from public speaking nerves for many years. I have a very successful career and managed to get so far by avoiding or getting through presentations. During the beginning of any presentations my heart would beat like it was about to explode and my mind would go blank. I took one tab 40mg an hour before and it worked like a miracle. I am so happy now.

September 3, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by University student (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am in full time school in a program that requires me to give many oral presentation. I am a somewhat shy and introverted person and have always had a lot of trouble being able to do this effectively. I get very anxious and I shake and get short of breath and feel my heart racing. I had heard about propranolol so I consulted with my GP and she prescribed 40mg to me. The first time taking it right before my presentation I felt slightly anxious and was thinking that it wasn't working, however the minute I started to present I felt calm and relaxed and was able to present well. No shaking or pounding heart, which I now realize increased the anxiety and really interfered. This medication is a lifesaver to me, I am glad I found it!

July 28, 2014 4:09 AM

Review by Glad I Found It! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Like many here, I turned to Inderal for public speaking anxiety. I actually was even going to leave the job and used all kinds of excuses in my head (the job was bad, I hated my boss, etc, etc), none of which were true. Plain and simple, it was public speaking fear. The first one without Inderal had the familiar feelings having an out of body experience, the chest tightness, the nervousness. I got through it but immediately started searching the net when I got home and found the Inderal forums. Best medicine ever and so glad I found it. I've nailed every presentation since and speak calmly and confidently now. All the physical symptoms are gone when I have to speak. I usually take 30-40mg 1.5 to 1 hour before I am due to speak. Recommend!

June 9, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by Delaz:

Unbelievable. Suffered for years with performance anxiety and my current job meant I had to do more and more meeting. It got to point that I was thinking I'd have to leave my job or throw myself off a bridge to escape. As a last resort I went to doctors hoping to try beta blockers - I got these thinking they might help a bit. THEY TOTALLY CURED ME. It was like a miracle - I was even cracking jokes and arriving first at meeting where as before I'd hidden in toilets. Only my 1st week, don't know what the future holds but for now I'll just celebrate the relief this has provided.

May 23, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Somebody5221:

Having had panic attacks for decades when doing presentations, interviews, standing in line at the grocery shop, taking care of bank errands, sitting in meetings, talking on the phone...and on it goes...propranolol has really helped a lot. I still get the dooming feelings before the attacks and I'm still sweating, but I'm not going completely blank or shake until I fall out of my chair. Actually, when it's my turn, I'm pretty cool besides the sweating but that's not a big issue for me.

May 8, 2014 3:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It finally dawned on me that others might suffer my same public speaking "fight or flight" response. The uncontrollable shaking uncontrollably, heart racing as my turn to speak neared, panic attacks caused me to not speak and forgo many career advancing opportunities. I over prepared, tried public speaking classes, still the shakes and heart race caused me to lose my train of thought, cut myself short and generally look like an idiot. I finally searched online and found information on propranolol and Xanax. Frankly, Xanax just made me tired. I tried propranolol immediately prior to having to speak, and WOW. I waited for the heart race and blood rush, nothing. I was shocked and was able to speak like any normal person. Miracle!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 11:29 AM

Review by njchuck (taken for less than 1 month):

I just tried propranolol for public speaking for the first time yesterday. I've hated public speaking my whole life. I shake and blush and it's very embarrassing. I Have a new job now where I have to speak in front of people sometimes. My Dr prescribed me 10 mg. I tried it over the weekend to see if I had any side effects and there were none. I'm generally an anxious person and it did make me feel calmer, but it was a subtle effect and I was worried that 10mg wouldn't work during my speech because I see some reviews of people taking much higher doses. But it actually worked. I still felt nervous like my Dr said I would but at least I didn't shake at all or feel the physical symptoms of my nervousness. I wish I had found this in high school and college.

April 23, 2014 6:30 AM

Review by Billybongthorton (taken for less than 1 month):

Went to the doctor to help with a clonidine taper. Clonidine was prescribed for methadone withdrawal along with Valium. Got off the methadone pretty easy considering how messed up I was. Now stuck with physical clonidine addiction after being on it for 3 months. Was prescribed propranolol for day time control of rebound high blood pressure and withdrawal anxiety and so far it is working amazingly. I feel like I could talk in front of 100,000 people and not flinch in fear. Because propranolol has its own withdrawal if you are on it too long just like clonidine but at least this time I am aware of the possibility rather than blindly taking some medication.

April 14, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by Jim Snt:

It truly is a miracle. Only thing I'll add differently, I wouldn't take it before an exam, as it kind of makes you a little foggy with the thought process. People can typically deal with this anxiety because its not speaking in front of people but definitely take it before speaking.

April 10, 2014 11:49 PM

Review by keross:

I used to be a singer but had to quit because of worsening panic attacks (including twitching face muscles - the shame). I hated myself for quitting but saw no other choice. I was working as an EFL teacher and eventually had to quit that too because facing a class suddenly became overwhelming. Staff meetings were impossible, presentations at training sessions were out of the question, until even talking to my small class made me want to run far far away. So I became a freelance copywriter so I could stay at home and not face anyone. I was alone for about 6 years. About 6 months ago somebody told me about propanolol. My new job starts Monday. Thank you, thank you thank you, modern medicine, from me and my family, for giving me my life back

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2014 3:15 PM

Review by farhatruf:

Although a very good medicine to overcome the performance anxiety, however one must take into account its two long term side effects: 1. Risk of diabetes due to this medicine 2. memory loss Please share your experience.

March 26, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by JASkq:

Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2014 12:39 AM

Review by Anonymous 34:

Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety.

March 10, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Loopybird (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, which is difficult as it prevents me from doing day to day activities, I am doing the exposure and response treatment by myself whilst on the list to go see a professional in CBT. It causes me severe anxiety. I got panicky on buses and at work and would be so afraid of having a panic attack I'd avoid stuff. I told my DR and he gave me these anxiety tablets. My OCD was playing up so I was scaring myself into avoiding taking them incase I became dependent on them. I had an important meeting, I knew I needed help with so I took one, it worked! I took 4 buses in one day went to my meeting and felt confident again no anxiety at all. It doesn't stop your OCD worries however it stops anxiety which helped me.

March 1, 2014 11:07 PM