User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Review Summary

9.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"After having a traumatizing experience presenting in front of my class, I decided to visit a doctor. He prescribed me 20 mg of propranolol and told me to take it 1 hour before my presentation. I had doubts whether this will actually work for me or not since I was deathly afraid of public speaking and nothing I ever tried ever helped me. I went inside the classroom feeling absolutely horrified. When my professor called my name, I felt a huge surge of anxiety but as soon as I got up and started presenting, I felt that it was tolerable. It still wasn't a pleasant experience and I didn't do an amazing job at it but I felt extremely satisfied that I got the presentation done."

Irishohh August 25, 2015

"RIP Sir James Whyte Black (1924 %u2013 2010) who was a Scottish pharmacologist and he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1988 for work leading to the development of propranolol and cimetidine. Propranolol is absolutely a miracle. I had been struggling with stage fright for years and I said enough is enough I searched for medicine and ended up with this page which is life changing. Thank you for your comments which helped me to normalize my life."

Worrior August 25, 2015

"Very good for day to day anxiety. Only downsides can make you feel tired when walking, bit light headed sometimes, short term memory loss and long term use will lead to some hair loss. when i reduced the drug over few months my hair started to grow back! Good medicine, but go easy at first."

Dan198 August 22, 2015

"I've had a paralyzingly fear of public speaking for as long as I can remember. I've humiluated myself endless times trying to do presentations. And I mean to the point of becoming so violently ill from the anxiety that Id run out of the room. Fast forward 6 years and in my first big corporate position im required to do a presentation. I almost died. I anticipated this moment. I dreaded it. I went to a dr desperate for help who prescribed me propranolol. I took 15mg 10mg and another half) 2 hours prior plus .25 mg xanax and I felt amazing. I did the best presentation of my life. No nerves. No jitters. I was cool, calm, collected. I made eye contact and was funny. I used my hands and could have stayed up there all day. I love it!!!!"

Happy canper August 17, 2015

"I took propranolol initially as a migraine preventative 20+ years ago, at a time I had a job which required me to deliver presentations. I wasn't manic when I had to do these, but there were butterflies. I was amazed that the propranolol completely stopped these reactions, which of course it does by blocking adrenaline. I've used the drug a time or two when going through difficult times. It completely stops anxiety, with ZERO side effects in my case. No drowsiness, sedation, etc., as with benzos. Been nearly 25 years, and I remain astounded that this class of drug, beta blockers, is not used much more frequently for ultra-safe, low side effect anxiety relief."

David7678895 August 10, 2015

"Absolute miracle drug. I would be doomed without it. Amazing stuff!"

Anonymous August 6, 2015

"Been suffering panic and anxiety attacks for about 2 years. Before this time I would consider myself as fairly confident and self assured. Cocky even. About a year ago I realised that my symptoms were due to anxiety. Then of course I was expecting the attacks to come. Fear of the fear that some of you would have definitely read about. In social situations or even on meeting a Colleague at work I would feel an anxiety tingle in my fingers or my leg would shake. This would then start my mind racing and heart pumping which would of course then lead to a panic/anxiety attack. At times I would literally run away to the bathroom or say I have to make a phone call. Benzos didn't help me much. Propranolol 80mg SR has changed my life."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

"I could not function in my work environment without this drug. I have severe performance anxiety. I am not able to give talks, I'm not good in groups, and am very anxious when put in the spot light. I take 40 mg of propanolol and I am able to function. Without this medication, I would have quit my career and sink deep into depression. Without this medication, I would shake uncontrollably, feel numb with fear and embarrassment, and feel completely out of control."

life saver July 25, 2015

"I can hardly believe what this drug did for me the very first time I used it. About one hour before doing a huge speech in public which would usually have had my heart racing and terribly embarrassing purple flushing on my neck and face I took 40mg. Then nothing happened. I mean NO symptoms AT ALL! No panic, no heart, and most important no flushing. At all. Miraculous."

Desperate purple (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

"I have performance anxiety to an extreme. I couldn't even introduce myself at a meeting among people I mostly knew. My heart would begin pounding SOOOOOO hard, I couldn't even get words out. My voice would shake and I couldn't think. I'd just end up saying my name and ending it there before everyone knew I was so 'scared'. Anyway, after one event where I turned bright red and couldn't speak (to everyone's confusion), I was so disgusted with myself, I made an appointment to a psychiatrist. He prescribed inderol. Result- I was a TOTALLY different person!! The only problem is knowing when I may be in a situation that calls for inderol. Recently, the CEO called me up to his office. I didn't have time to take a bb. I had problems :("

http://www.drugs.com/members_c July 15, 2015

"Nailed my presentation!!!"

Northboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"I have had a fear of speaking in front of groups for as far back as I can remember. I dreaded the days when I was assigned a presentation to give in front of my classmates. I tried MANY things to overcome my fear (i.e. hypnosis, practice/repetition, etc), yet nothing seemed to calm my nerves. Often times in college I would choose to receive F's on assignments because it involved giving presentations. My voice would shake, I would get body tremors, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, and mentally freeze. One day I went to see a doctor and she prescribed me Propranolol. Although I doubted it would work, I took a 20mg dose before a presentation and I couldn't believe the outcome. No more anxious symptoms! So glad I discovered it!"

Liam123 July 2, 2015

"I've suffered w. stage fright (panic attacks) while public speaking for 15 years. I finally got an rx for propranolol from my pcp and tried it before a recent presentation. What a GOD SEND. I took 20 mg 1.5 hours prior to my presentation and although I did have some angst and chest tightness prior, once I started speaking the normal heart pounding out of my chest sensation/shortness of breath occasionally spiralling into a full blown panic attack just did not happen. I felt normal and that I could speak for hours. I feel I have my life back now and am excited for what this new confidence will do to my career. I did not notice any side effects. I made sure to drink plenty of water and eat to avoid low blood pressure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

"I suffer from mild social anxiety, audience anxiety or stage fright which when put in the spotlight in big groups (church, ministry programs, or work related events) resulted in me being soaking wet from sweating. I had taken myself off of caffeine, and made efforts to exercise for about an hour to an hour and half before events to practically sweat myself dry. I spoke w/a dr. friend of mine and prescribed 20 mg of propranolol 3 times a day. I have found that if I take it regularly as a daily maintenance drug it is most effective. The last presentation I gave at work in front of about 75 people I sailed thru it w/lots of compliments. I have noticed no side effects either."

Anonymous June 6, 2015

"My anxiety is a daily struggle. My heart races, body tremers, I mentally freeze, over any contact with people I don't know. Even walking by people set me off. I'm prescribed 20 mg twice a day. It's a life saver. No more negative thoughts, unexplained irritability, etc. I love you propranolol."

tarah m May 28, 2015

"Propranolol took me to the next step in my career. I'm a physician but never really believed in something so routine being so effective with stage fright. I was suddenly invited to give talks at an international conference for physicians - never having given a podium talk in my life before. Took 30mg 1.5 hrs before the two talks. Couldn't feel any symptoms of nervousness when I got up there. No rapid heartbeat, no turning stomach. Absolutely crushed the talks. Ended up winning a presentation award for my talk, against all odds. Not only did this medication help me accomplish what I felt is my base capability, but it elevated me to a level of performance I never thought I could achieve before and only dreamed of."

PicDoc May 22, 2015

"Propranolol is my savior! I had to give a speech at my high school graduation, and I was worrying about it for months. Thanks to 60 mg of propranolol an hour before my speech, everything went perfectly! I was 110% calm and composed in front of a nearly-full auditorium; none of my usual uncontrollable nervous laughter and quivering voice. Normally, I'm not the kind of person who is affected by insignificant pill-shaped things, but it was actually very effective. I had tested 20 mg the day before, for my graduation rehearsal (the sort of event that is nerve-wracking for someone like me), and I didn't exhibit any of my usual symptoms. So I knew that I could rely on it for the actual ceremony, and that alleviated my mental anxiety as welI."

Recent High School Graduate May 17, 2015

"I have had a panic attack recently more to do so with relationship and work issues, went to the doctor who prescribed me with the medication and I can honestly say within a couple hours I felt relaxed, I don't feel that anxiety where I feel helpless and out of control wanting to cry myself senseless or run out the house screaming because everything around me is suffocating me!! however it works it is the best thing going for me so far :)"

panicattack May 7, 2015

"I have read the testimonials of various users herein and decided to try the Propanohol. 10mg was too light for the levels of my anxiety but I just gave a presentation in a foreign country, speaking a foreign language, and it worked perfectly!! I took 40mgs. All that has been said above is true! If you are thinking about and suffering from all of the performance anxiety symptoms, go for it!!! It is a great relied and I thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I felt I had to do the same for others! Best of luck and go shine in your presentations!!"

Perfectionist Lawyer (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2015

"Used inderal recently for a best man speech as I suffer terribly with anxiety and panic attacks. Words cannot describe how well this worked for me. I was still mentally nervous, but physically I was in complete control with no stutter, breathing problems/heart palpitations. I actually enjoyed it and I could have spoken all night. I never review anything online but just felt I wanted to share my experience as I know how horrible performance anxiety can be."

md101 April 28, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is a miracle drug for people who suffer with the physical affects of anxiety. I had a very important live TV interview coming up that I was absolutely terrified about, and the thing I was most nervous about was shaking on TV. Every experience I've had with public speaking I have had uncontrollable tremors in my hands and head. I took 40mg of propranolol an hour before the interview, and I experienced none of the awful shaking, blushing, sweating or the increased heart rate. It was a such a relief. The drug will not stop the anxious thoughts or the feeling of terror before the performance, but it absolutely will block the physical effects, which is what most performance anxiety sufferers panic about."

SocialAnx April 9, 2015

"Okay, first off my anxiety has gotten worse the past couple of years to the point where if my boss calls me in his office to talk to me one on one, I get sweaty palms, quivering voice, and chest pain. Well...I came to this sight saw what you guys had to say and I got a prescription for Propanolol thinking it would help me. Guess What? It's a total GAMECHANGER. My boss called me in his office today to try to intimidate me and I was just like Hey boss what's new? What can I do for you? I just treated him like it was no big deal and he wasn't intimidating me one bit. I put a bead on him and look him directly in his eyes and was cool and calm. I could have NEVER done that before. Thanks everyone on here. Propanolol is the real deal."

AC Slater March 27, 2015

"OMG..... Thus drug works like a charm! I've feated and failed miserably over the years doing oral reports from pure anxiety- even my head would shake! I recently was " forced" to do a presentation for work and simply cannot believe what a difference inderal made taken 1 hr before speaking. I could actually make eye contact with the audience and my words came out as rehearsed, not jumbled!!! Wish I had this in college- would've saved me lots of Agony. I hope my testimonial can offer hope who harbor this same fear- it's miraculous!!!!!"

No more tremors (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

"I have suffered from performance anxiety for a few years. When it came to my turn to talk in a meeting I would have what is known as a panic attack, and for those of you that have not experienced this it is horrible. I would somehow manage to get through these talks. As soon as the talk would finish my mind would instantly go to worrying about the next talk next week, a living circle of constant anxiety. I was prescribed Propranolol. I had to stand up and do a 5 min presentation to about 20 people. I took 40mg 1 hr prior waited for my turn to go and....nothing! no heart beat, no trembling, no sweats! I was a totally different person and will now use this medicine whenever I have to do a talk. I highly recommend it."

Mutacuit March 18, 2015

"I had been having serious performance anxiety for about a year at work - voice shaking, rapid heartbeat, short of breath, light headed, couldn't collect my thoughts in front of my bosses or in meetings whice I often led. I was avoiding talking to my bosses and direct reports. After taking this medicine I notice a general calm when in these situations now and I'm so relieved. I led a meeting today and didn't get nervous at all. I was able to put my thoughts together no problem and had mimimal/ manageable physiological symptoms. On a 10MG dose."

John J. Haindel March 10, 2015