User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Ventricular Tachycardia 1 reviews 33 medications

Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 205 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by RobertaJ (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by BobbieH (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by melisssmikey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Panic Disorder: I have panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Before I started taking propranolol I would have fast heart rates and the shakes, I could not function. This medicine enables me to live a close to normal life as possible! It does give me cold hands and a little morning dizziness but so what. Compared to a life without it that's nothing.

April 22, 2013 6:34 AM

Review by mr hello (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had tremendous problems with public speaking/presentations. I would almost pray that I would slip and break my leg prior to the presentation, so that I would be deliberated from the pressure. I get full blown panic attacks when speaking in front of a crowd. This is a nightmare considering the circumstances; 30 people sitting dead quiet in a room just staring at you while you are turning into a complete mess. For the first time in my life, at the age of 33, I tried Inderal 20 mg 1 hour prior to an academic presentation. I kid you not, it felt as if I was in my living room chatting with my parents. No anxiety. This tremendous problem vanished thanks to 2 pills. No side effects. Mind blowing.

April 19, 2013 6:02 PM

Review by peterpuddleduck:

For Anxiety: Propanolol is a great anxiety treatment! Unlike Alprazolam, which treats anxiety by creating a mildly stupefying delirium, Propanolol provides an underlying steadiness and effectively prevents the physiological symptoms of anxiety, including racing heart, shakiness, quavering voice, flushing cheeks, somersaulting insides, etc. There are few side affects with Propanolol other than improved blood pressure, win win.

April 16, 2013 2:28 AM

Review by Bridg (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: All I can say is WOW! This is A-mazing to say the least. Have always been terrified of oral presentations. Had one today, took one 10mg propranolol 1 hour prior to the presentation. Was very fearful that it wasn't going to work but man was I as calm as ever! It was so nice to be standing up in front of the class being able to talk(breathe) no racing heart, no running out of air, no, not being able to finish a sentence! Where has this been all my life!

April 10, 2013 9:16 PM

Review by Ted o (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Excellent. Worked from day one for my anxiety! I tried SSRI's and Wellbutrin. Neither worked for my anxiety. 10mg of the propranolol and I am so happy and waaaaay less anxious.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by Gina3629:

For Performance Anxiety: I have 20 years of public speaking experience as it's been about 75% of what it is that I do for a living. I loved it and have always been good at it. Over the last two years, I've developed these severe panic attacks before giving a presentation and they were progressively getting worse. The blood would rush to my face, my heart beat would pound in my ears, my voice would shake, I couldn't control my breathing or train of thought. This sudden inability to do what I've always done led to depression. I finally went to see my family physician. She immediately prescribed me propanolol. I take 1 10mg pill 30 minutes before public speaking and I finally feel normal again. None of the feelings I have leading up to the attack appeared.

March 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by Mycocotoo:

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I have had good luck with this medicine but as I age it appears to be less effective, or it may be that my tremors are getting worse and the dosage needs to be increased. I have tried an increase in the medication and have become very sluggish. All in all it is working rather well and the cost is low.

February 26, 2013 5:14 PM

Review by True Believer:

For Performance Anxiety: I have battled with public speaking for 18 years and would get nervous about a speech even if it was months away. It ended the second I took propranolol. I take 20-40mg 1 hour prior to any public speaking event and I am completely calm. No racing heart beat prior to standing up, no shaky voice, no trembling hands, no more anxiety attacks, etc. I can't believe I've spent 18 years trying every technique on the market, herbs, physical training, etc. to finally realize this one medicine would instantly cure me. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist after I lost all hope and this has no doubt changed my life and career over night. I went from a regular engineer to running a division of 200 people now with zero fear of speaking to them.

February 23, 2013 1:18 AM

Review by crider81812 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I am almost 30 and have been getting migraines since I was junior high age and my father also suffers from migraines. I have been in the ER every other month at least for the pain. I had a migraine that lasted 13 days straight and couldn't take it anymore. I take amitriptyline every night for several years now for prevention but wasn't on anything for the onset pain of a migraine even though the amitriptyline was working amazing. I still take it now with the Propranolol twice a day for a couple of weeks now and have only gotten a couple of small headaches and a few side effects. I am very happy with it.

February 19, 2013 4:55 AM

Review by Impressed (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: I wouldn't say that I have a problem performing in fact it's the opposite. However I am on a few other medications that absoluty wire me. So by proxy lots of anxiety has been created. Throughout the day. I take 20mg three times a day and can remain calm and collected. It Actually helps to keep me focused. I guess it's true meds work totally differently for everyone. The only problem is if I forget a dose it can be unbearable and I'm not able to communicate well at all.

February 12, 2013 4:14 AM

Review by BarbaraFitzMe:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have taken Propranolol to treat Benign Esstential Tremors for over 20 years now. I finally saw my PCP when not only my hands would shake but, under stressful situations, my head began shaking. He prescribed 40mg once daily. Twenty-some years later, I am still on the same dose - though I am just beginning to realize I need to increase the dose as the tremors are rearing their ugly heads again on occasion. The only side effect I am aware of is that I had less energy and, in the beginning, I recall a weight gain of about 20 lbs. If memory is affected adversely, I don't recall. Haha!

February 10, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by sugar58:

For Migraine Prevention: After trying a ton of different medications and having no luck, my doctor finally decided to put me on propranolol. After trying so many meds with no luck, I didn't have much hope. I have been on this medication for 3 days now and I am ECSTATIC! I am taking 40mg twice a day (once in morning and once at night). I used to wake up with headaches and go to bed with headaches and for these 3 days I have not had ANY pain! I usually have headaches at least 4-5 days a week and for me to wake up with no pain and go to bed with no pain feels so amazing. I didn't get any dizziness or any side effects at all so far. Although it's only been 3 days so far, I can tell it's made a huge difference already.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Flag59:

For Migraine Prevention: After quitting drinking about a year ago I developed severe migraine headaches. The Propranolol LA 160MG caps have worked very well and I seldom get migraines. I decided because of cost and the fact I was having so few headaches, to try and wean myself from this medication, within 2 days the headaches were back. So I'm back on the Propranolol and back to being headache free most of the time.

January 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Review by johnrecovered (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Taken for years battling anxiety, quite helpful if taken at onset of attack; bottom line-exercise for me is better!

January 18, 2013 5:09 PM

Review by Natisly:

For Migraine Prevention: I have read most of the posts, I am so glad this medicine has helped so many but unfortunately I am one if the few that it did the opposite. I have been on Topamax, a bit effective but I created a fast resistance to it and the constant "idiot" mode, fatige, tingling and memory loss made me decide to ask him to change me to something else. Since you can't be taken off Topamax cold turkey I was advised to take 50mg and one 60mg of propranolol, the first 5 minutes it felt like I had taken a good 5 shots of tequila without the gagging. After that I left as if someone had dropped a bucket of ice water on me and then a nasty migraine...4 hours later I'm without a breath barely feeling my legs.

January 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by traddles:

For Performance Anxiety: I am a no. 2 player in a high profile orchestra. Bullying from below has been a problem. I'm now entirely secure in my position after ten years, not because my managers have dealt with it, but because my doctors continue to without concern prescribe propranolol. They review me regularly and I play solos that are so difficult next to the most impossible of colleagues. As a kid I would have said we in a music school should never touch beta blockers but as a professional I can tell you that the people get you down and my work has never stopped since being prescribed propranolol. It saved my career.

December 30, 2012 6:42 PM

Review by Samgal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from chronic migraines for about 10 years now. I have literally tried EVERYTHING both prescription and holistic. Propanolol was the first medication I found that gave me relief, I went from having migraines on a daily basis to only having about one a week. And the more time that passes, the less intense the migraines seem to be. I take 80mg ER once daily.

December 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been suffering from migraines since the age of 10 (I'm now 18). I used to get at least 4 migraine's a week with severe vomiting and couldn't move out of bed until the next day. I have tried lots of tablets; pizotifen, atenolol are just a few. I began propranolol 2 months ago starting at 60mg, I was still getting a migraine a week, but no vomiting. And constant eye pain all day everyday. Also suffering from poor circulation, severe dry mouth and being unable to sleep at night. The doctor has now put me on 160mg 1 a day and haven't had a migraine since, although still struggling with the side effects! And now been referred to a migraine specialist which will hopefully give me an answer as to why I'm getting them. Would definitely recommend!

December 8, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by Mvt123 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: I'll get straight too the point. If you're struggling with performance anxiety, and feel helpless (like I did), stop waiting and go see your doctor immediately and get a script for propranolol; it changed my life. Ever since I enrolled in University my fear of public speaking became heightened (because of the pressure to succeeded) to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation. It was the worst moment in my life, and I knew I needed serious help. I got a script for propranolol, and took 20mg 1 hour and 1/2, and another 20mg before my presentation. I went up (I was so nervous I didn't sleep at all the night before) and absolutely killed it. I felt so comfortable in front of the stage. It changed my life.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2012 7:07 PM

Review by bigbear11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Since I had my child 3 years ago my anxiety manifests as migraines with aura. I have had rosacea most of my life and get laser treatments to keep it under control. I started experiencing migraines every month about 3 days before my cycle, neck cracking and general discomfort. I decided enough was enough and to actually try taking something. My doctor gave me 80 mg Inderal LA and the first month was really hard. I was tired 6 hours after I took it for about 2 hours to the point that I could hardly type or compose a thought at work. Now after 2 months, I feel great. I don't get upset over little things, I can think without hundreds of thoughts and this has worked so much better than Buspar, Zoloft or 5HTP for me. I recommend giving it a try.

November 14, 2012 9:42 AM

Review by Jan from Holland:

For Performance Anxiety: Today I had a presentation in front of 20 directors of different companies in the Netherlands. Two hours in advance I took 20mg of propranolol. It all went very well, and I wasn't nervous at all. This medicine is great for me and changed my life completely.

October 25, 2012 1:15 PM

For Migraine Prevention: So far so good..thrilled to be feeling human again. Only one migraine in the past month vs. the NASTY 3-4/week minimum that were taking over my life. Side effects: first couple days, blood pressure and pulse dropped too low, but have normalized to normal-low range. Now insomnia and nightmares are the biggest problems. I read that propranolol reduces melatonin production, am hopeful taking a small 1/2-1mg dose a couple hours before bed will help. Note:I don't recommend taking any more than this! A few months ago, I couldn't figure out why I was so tired--my mom suggested I stop taking the 3mg I had been taking right before bed--magically I was no longer falling asleep at work.

October 22, 2012 4:13 PM

For Performance Anxiety: Absolute miracle - I cannot believe it. I take only 10-20 mg as needed, and it basically shuts off the fight or flight response. Those sudden adrenaline bursts followed by total fear and panic just no longer materialize. In fact your entire body will probably thank you for the stress relief. Propanolol has given me tremendous confidence with virtually no side effects. This coming from someone who has thought it might be better to get hit by a bus than have to attend weekly staff meetings. More effective than alprazolam and without the side effects, from my experience. Doctors need to look at propranolol as first line treatment for anxiety!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2012 3:07 AM