User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

6.9
High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 194 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Impressed (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: I wouldn't say that I have a problem performing in fact it's the opposite. However I am on a few other medications that absoluty wire me. So by proxy lots of anxiety has been created. Throughout the day. I take 20mg three times a day and can remain calm and collected. It Actually helps to keep me focused. I guess it's true meds work totally differently for everyone. The only problem is if I forget a dose it can be unbearable and I'm not able to communicate well at all.

February 12, 2013 4:14 AM

Review by BarbaraFitzMe:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have taken Propranolol to treat Benign Esstential Tremors for over 20 years now. I finally saw my PCP when not only my hands would shake but, under stressful situations, my head began shaking. He prescribed 40mg once daily. Twenty-some years later, I am still on the same dose - though I am just beginning to realize I need to increase the dose as the tremors are rearing their ugly heads again on occasion. The only side effect I am aware of is that I had less energy and, in the beginning, I recall a weight gain of about 20 lbs. If memory is affected adversely, I don't recall. Haha!

February 10, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by sugar58:

For Migraine Prevention: After trying a ton of different medications and having no luck, my doctor finally decided to put me on propranolol. After trying so many meds with no luck, I didn't have much hope. I have been on this medication for 3 days now and I am ECSTATIC! I am taking 40mg twice a day (once in morning and once at night). I used to wake up with headaches and go to bed with headaches and for these 3 days I have not had ANY pain! I usually have headaches at least 4-5 days a week and for me to wake up with no pain and go to bed with no pain feels so amazing. I didn't get any dizziness or any side effects at all so far. Although it's only been 3 days so far, I can tell it's made a huge difference already.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Flag59:

For Migraine Prevention: After quitting drinking about a year ago I developed severe migraine headaches. The Propranolol LA 160MG caps have worked very well and I seldom get migraines. I decided because of cost and the fact I was having so few headaches, to try and wean myself from this medication, within 2 days the headaches were back. So I'm back on the Propranolol and back to being headache free most of the time.

January 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Review by johnrecovered (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Taken for years battling anxiety, quite helpful if taken at onset of attack; bottom line-exercise for me is better!

January 18, 2013 5:09 PM

Review by Natisly:

For Migraine Prevention: I have read most of the posts, I am so glad this medicine has helped so many but unfortunately I am one if the few that it did the opposite. I have been on Topamax, a bit effective but I created a fast resistance to it and the constant "idiot" mode, fatige, tingling and memory loss made me decide to ask him to change me to something else. Since you can't be taken off Topamax cold turkey I was advised to take 50mg and one 60mg of propranolol, the first 5 minutes it felt like I had taken a good 5 shots of tequila without the gagging. After that I left as if someone had dropped a bucket of ice water on me and then a nasty migraine...4 hours later I'm without a breath barely feeling my legs.

January 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by traddles:

For Performance Anxiety: I am a no. 2 player in a high profile orchestra. Bullying from below has been a problem. I'm now entirely secure in my position after ten years, not because my managers have dealt with it, but because my doctors continue to without concern prescribe propranolol. They review me regularly and I play solos that are so difficult next to the most impossible of colleagues. As a kid I would have said we in a music school should never touch beta blockers but as a professional I can tell you that the people get you down and my work has never stopped since being prescribed propranolol. It saved my career.

December 30, 2012 6:42 PM

Review by Samgal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from chronic migraines for about 10 years now. I have literally tried EVERYTHING both prescription and holistic. Propanolol was the first medication I found that gave me relief, I went from having migraines on a daily basis to only having about one a week. And the more time that passes, the less intense the migraines seem to be. I take 80mg ER once daily.

December 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been suffering from migraines since the age of 10 (I'm now 18). I used to get at least 4 migraine's a week with severe vomiting and couldn't move out of bed until the next day. I have tried lots of tablets; pizotifen, atenolol are just a few. I began propranolol 2 months ago starting at 60mg, I was still getting a migraine a week, but no vomiting. And constant eye pain all day everyday. Also suffering from poor circulation, severe dry mouth and being unable to sleep at night. The doctor has now put me on 160mg 1 a day and haven't had a migraine since, although still struggling with the side effects! And now been referred to a migraine specialist which will hopefully give me an answer as to why I'm getting them. Would definitely recommend!

December 8, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by Mvt123 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: I'll get straight too the point. If you're struggling with performance anxiety, and feel helpless (like I did), stop waiting and go see your doctor immediately and get a script for propranolol; it changed my life. Ever since I enrolled in University my fear of public speaking became heightened (because of the pressure to succeeded) to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation. It was the worst moment in my life, and I knew I needed serious help. I got a script for propranolol, and took 20mg 1 hour and 1/2, and another 20mg before my presentation. I went up (I was so nervous I didn't sleep at all the night before) and absolutely killed it. I felt so comfortable in front of the stage. It changed my life.

November 28, 2012 7:07 PM

Review by bigbear11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Since I had my child 3 years ago my anxiety manifests as migraines with aura. I have had rosacea most of my life and get laser treatments to keep it under control. I started experiencing migraines every month about 3 days before my cycle, neck cracking and general discomfort. I decided enough was enough and to actually try taking something. My doctor gave me 80 mg Inderal LA and the first month was really hard. I was tired 6 hours after I took it for about 2 hours to the point that I could hardly type or compose a thought at work. Now after 2 months, I feel great. I don't get upset over little things, I can think without hundreds of thoughts and this has worked so much better than Buspar, Zoloft or 5HTP for me. I recommend giving it a try.

November 14, 2012 9:42 AM

Review by Jan from Holland:

For Performance Anxiety: Today I had a presentation in front of 20 directors of different companies in the Netherlands. Two hours in advance I took 20mg of propranolol. It all went very well, and I wasn't nervous at all. This medicine is great for me and changed my life completely.

October 25, 2012 1:15 PM

For Migraine Prevention: So far so good..thrilled to be feeling human again. Only one migraine in the past month vs. the NASTY 3-4/week minimum that were taking over my life. Side effects: first couple days, blood pressure and pulse dropped too low, but have normalized to normal-low range. Now insomnia and nightmares are the biggest problems. I read that propranolol reduces melatonin production, am hopeful taking a small 1/2-1mg dose a couple hours before bed will help. Note:I don't recommend taking any more than this! A few months ago, I couldn't figure out why I was so tired--my mom suggested I stop taking the 3mg I had been taking right before bed--magically I was no longer falling asleep at work.

October 22, 2012 4:13 PM

For Performance Anxiety: Absolute miracle - I cannot believe it. I take only 10-20 mg as needed, and it basically shuts off the fight or flight response. Those sudden adrenaline bursts followed by total fear and panic just no longer materialize. In fact your entire body will probably thank you for the stress relief. Propanolol has given me tremendous confidence with virtually no side effects. This coming from someone who has thought it might be better to get hit by a bus than have to attend weekly staff meetings. More effective than alprazolam and without the side effects, from my experience. Doctors need to look at propranolol as first line treatment for anxiety!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2012 3:07 AM

For Migraine Prevention: I have had migraines since I was a young child. They have gotten worse as the years have gone by (I'm 37). I would be completely debilitated the entire week I was menstruating with several other less severe migraines throughout the month. I tried all the triptans, and ended up with horrible rebound migraines. I tried Topamax and it made my headaches worse (and the side effects were truly terrible). Propranolol has been a huge lifesaver. It hasn't completely erased my headaches, but I get much fewer during the month and my menstrual migraine is manageable--not completely debilitating. My only complaint: my heart rate doesn't get high enough to exercise aggressively. But it's worth it to not have the out-of-control migraines.

October 11, 2012 12:03 AM

Review by januaryk23 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: My psychiatrist prescribed me this medication almost 2 days ago for anxiety and it's physical effects on my body; I feel a difference already; my heart isn't racing nor am I shaking as much; makes me tired though.

September 30, 2012 1:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: It works great. Haven't had any of the side effects. Helps my prolapse and migraines.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2012 10:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: This medicine is great at preventing the physical symptoms of panic attacks which are my biggest concern. At 10mg, it keeps my heart rate at a tolerable level and I don't shake or feel nauseous. However, if I take it and don't experience any stress it completely wipes me out and makes me feel like I just want to sleep all day.

August 31, 2012 9:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol was a game changer for me. At the age of 37, I suddenly began to have panic attacks during presentations to management. These attacks could have been a career ender for me. Luckily my doctor prescribed me 10Mg and I only take it before a presentation or interview etc. I now feel totally relaxed and in command of the situation. I keep some with me at work, so I have if needed. It's funny because I now get compliments on my poise and delivery! Also, the fact that I no longer have these attacks reduces my anxiety level, and therefore I may be able to step away from taking in the future. Performance anxiety is more common than people think, so don't let it hold you back.

August 17, 2012 4:23 PM

Review by abbbbeyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I suffered from migraines terribly, I'm only 15 now and I got them almost everyday and I got put on propanolol and it was perfect! I only had migraines a couple times a month, however a while after using it it didn't work so I stopped using it all together and got put on Pizofen (or something like that). I am off medication at the moment but I get headaches very easily (like waking up with curtains open so I'm in bright light. It doesn't even have to be sunny). I think I may start taking propranolol again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2012 5:53 AM

Review by Bulldogmom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been taking propanalol 30mg daily to aid in migraine prevention and hypertension. I love the fact that it has greatly helped with the headaches and blood pressure, but I am having great difficulty with some side effects. My pulse rate used to run around 90-100 and has dropped to 45-49 making me extremely lethargic ready to pass out at any time, even sitting. I have also noticed my feet swelling at night and this is definitely new. I have never had issues with my feet swelling before I started this medication. I am a very active person and working out on the treadmill I can't get my heart rate over 100. I think we need to decrease the dosage even more. Got a call out to the Doctor.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2012 5:01 PM

Review by MckinseyGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: To say this is an excellent medicine would be an understatement. This is a miracle. Unfortunately it took me 13 years to realize my problem and I sadly look back to all those glorious moments that I missed. Being a consultant, we live on making presentations to our clients. This medicine has saved my career. Just one 20 mg pill about an hour before the big presentation and I can absolutely rock the presentation. I always had the skills and knowledge but never had a clear solid voice. It always seemed shaky and I always seemed nervous. Not any longer. A big thank you to who ever discovered this.

July 14, 2012 7:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: Inderal is a really great alternative to benzodiazepines for anxiety and panic attacks. I have generalized anxiety disorder and am prone to having panic attacks, especially in high stress situations that I can't get out of right away. I am prescribed 20mg to take as needed, up to three times a day. When I have my panic attacks, I fear that I might have a heart attack or some bad heart problem because my panic makes my heart pound so hard and fast. Inderal is a beta blocker that blocks adrenaline, so when I take it, my heart slows down a little and doesn't feel as though it is pounding in my chest. It doesn't remove my panic completely but it prevents my anxiety and worries from building. I like Inderal because it is safe and not addictive.

June 19, 2012 10:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I'm 15 and have been getting bad migraines for about a year. I have been taking Inderal for a few weeks. I have felt car sick for almost the entire time I've been on this medication, I have been really emotional, and have not had an appetite, and been very dizzy and am still getting headaches.

June 5, 2012 3:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: Didn't work for me. No immediate side effects, but after a few days was really emotional, almost crying. Was not okay with that so I stopped.

June 1, 2012 8:34 PM