User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

Ventricular Tachycardia 2 reviews 33 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 1 reviews 120 medications

5.5
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 251 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Propranolol

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I've been on this medicine for at least 10yrs. It has been working so far. I was on something else before they found out that I had Mitral Valve Prolapse all I had was tachycardia then they found the MVP and the meds I was on wasn't working so I was put on this."

ELLIE Jo February 18, 2014

For Anxiety: "Made me suicidal."

Anonymous February 6, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "My entire life, I have had a fear of public speaking that is so intense I would literally shut down and stop talking in the middle of a presentation. My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest, my mind goes completely blank, I turn red-faced, and my body and voice begin to tremble uncontrollably. I failed college courses, changed jobs, and altered my entire life just to avoid speaking in public. It was such a difficult and embarrassing problem that filled me with so much shame. One day, a friend told me about propranolol and so I went to the Doctor. The Doc prescribed and I can now present like a professional with zero anxiety. Simply put, this medicine changed my entire life and I would recommend it to anyone with anxiety."

Edward812k February 6, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: "Doc prescribed this medication to control my high heart rate after a 3 day hospitalization due to supra ventricular tachycardia. I had horrible side effects. Terrible insomnia, sometimes awake for 24 hours. Palpitations. Heavy congested feeling in chest. Anxiety. I was only on it for 10 days! Switched to metoprolol and after 2 days started to feel tons better!!!"

Okiedokie1717 January 23, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I had read about the calming effects of this drug and my doctor kindly prescribed me some ahead of my Mother's funeral. I was intending to deliver a eulogy of about 10 minutes duration and I really did not want to break down as I was speaking. There is nothing worse than a sobbing speaker. I took Propanalol about 1 hour before the service and it made a huge difference. I was calm throughout the service and I delivered the whole eulogy without any cracking in my voice. I even remembered to look around the audience and engage people by eye. Everyone was very impressed and I was mightily relieved. I will definitely take this medication before any future public speaking."

Norfolk David (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these."

CGRAHAM00 January 14, 2014

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage."

DanaLM January 14, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Took propranolol ER 80 mg before bedtime for the first time and woke up significantly calm and rested and my blood pressure went down to 129/79 versus 140/89 with a 30 day average. We'll see how it goes the next 30 days. At least I do not feel the need for a Valium this morning."

A rabbit January 4, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was lowered immediately after beginning this medicine, also helps with nervous shakes (visible in the hands and feet). It's a great prescription! I've combined this with sodium reduction and relaxation exercises and I have seen My BP drop to the level it was when I was an 18 year old vegetarian and just 80 lbs. Recommend taking this prescription if you are prescribed it. I was lightheaded and dizzy when I took first dose, but not a single issue since that."

Amanda Glamdoll January 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I have a severe phobia of public speaking and major physiological signs and symptoms when doing so. I would have a pounding heart, sweat, shaking hands, and a trembling voice, and my mind would even go completely blank. In my career, I had to speak in public on a regular basis and I lived in fear of each speaking event. I was prescribed propranolol to take an hour before I had to do any public speaking and it helped me out tremendously. I had no physiological symptoms at all while speaking. It is a miracle. I highly recommend propranolol for this indication."

natty13 December 13, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Didn't do much for my anxiety. I still had shortness of breath and that "pit" in my stomach. There was maybe a little less shakiness, but other than that, I still felt anxious. Now I'm on lorazepam, which works much better for me. However, I could understand why many people do not want to take benzos might want to at least give this a try. It just wasn't for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2013

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: "I had a social phobia for a long time with a rapid out of control heart beat, its a big difference since I started taking this medicine, anxiety is a lot less, and more out going with the public and less fear, but the only side effect that I'm not comfortable with is delayed ejaculation."

no medicine is perfect December 8, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "I cannot believe how effective this medicine is. Usually I would be shaky, bright red and my voice would sound like I'm about to cry or something. After taking 40mg before my presentation I was as cool as a cucumber! Kept thinking during the presentation, I can't believe I am able to do this and not feel embarrassed. Won't fear presentations anymore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2013

For Anxiety: "After 7 years on various SSRI's and many other tried and tested medicines I finally stumbled across propranolol. A truly life changing medicine for my anxiety disorder. I always presented with high blood pressure and my belief is that hypertension is an underlying cause of crippling anxiety. If it isn't then it is most certainly involved in the anxiety circle, more hypertension, more anxiety, more hypertension, etc. Anyway this is the best medication I have ever taken...my mind and body seem to be healing in a way I can only describe as miraculous! Please bear with this medication, although it does work immediately I'd say it takes around 6 weeks to fully bed in."

Michael69 November 26, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "Well, I must be a really bad case. Seems like 10-20 mg does the trick for most people. I'm a singer/guitarist. I took 10 mg the first time one hour before performance...didn't work. Next time took 20 mg....didn't work. Next time I'll try 30 mg. I'm only 5'3", 103 pounds."

jenna strawberry November 22, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "I was horrendous at talking publically and had run away from giving presentations so much so that I had changed jobs and never given a presentation in my life. I took a new job I knew I would love but involved presentations so went to my Doc. He prescribed Propanolol quick release and what can I say? Amazing... Now timing and amounts are trial and error. I am a big guy - 6'2, 220 lbs so for me I stagger mine and take 80mg 1hr 45 before, 80 mg 1hr 30 before and 80mg 1hr 15 before and for that hour I am amazing. So 240 mg in total. I would not recommend starting out on this dose. For women try 20mg and men 40mg and move up if required. Side effects for me - hard to sleep if I have taken after 2pm, extra sweating and no cardio within 4 hours"

StrongPresenter (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2013

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Inderal to help with migraines. I still get headaches almost daily but they aren't migraine-quality and can be managed with Ibuprofen. Negatives: sleep disturbances, feet are ALWAYS freezing, and I'm experiencing frequent orthostatic hypotension. I had normal-to-low BP when starting this med so I don't think it's the right med for my body, since it lowers BP. I like not having migraines but can't exercise or live life if I'm always dizzy and weak."

Misha13 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2013

For Panic Disorder: "I tried Cipralex for 6 months, then Wellbutrin XL for 4 months. They helped but still not able to function ( No work, moved home, no friends, Not willingly leaving the house, avoiding social anything). I was then prescribed Propranolol with the Wellbutrin, a gradual build up to 20mg over 1 month. Now I am as cool as a cucumber. Still a bit nervous to head outside but that is just thoughts and not a physical reaction. No side effects besides weird dreams but that might be from the Wellbutrin. The first time in a year since this all started I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I am 28, male, heavy drinker. Alcohol might be why this all started. I went from traveling extensively to never leaving the house overnight."

Boiled Frogs. November 8, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "This drug changed everything for me. I am a singer.. A bloody good one at that and the one thing that always stopped me was stage fright. I was terrified. Didn't seem to matter how often I made myself sing solo and how many times I felt so amazing after that solo, next time would be just as bad or worse. I would literally vibrate, even the muscles in my face would quiver and I had no control. For years I struggled with this until someone finally convinced me to go to the doctors.. I felt ridiculous even saying this to him thinking he was basically going to tell me to get over it. Instead he calmly said 'ok I'm going to prescribe you a small dosage of propranolol' .. And that was it. The crippling stage fright was just gone.. Like magic :)"

Nuala M November 6, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: "I had experienced stress-induced migraines from work for years... truly agonizing... Once I discovered beta-blockers, I studied them for quite a while, and over time I correlated the migraines to a surge of catecholamines resulting from stressors acting on the fight or flight response mechanism, which operates via catecholamine release in the brain. Bottom line, 20 - 40 mg a day has completely eradicated the migraines."

The Man In The Back (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered from panic attacks since the age of 13. My doctor prescribed propranolol on an as needed basis for this and it helped tremendously. I usually have severe periods of Irritable Bowel Syndrome during my panic attacks, which can lead to having to use the restroom over 10 times a day. It's painful, makes eating impossible, is embarrassing, and is huge nuisance to deal with in public. Propranolol completely eradicates the physical manifestations of my panic attacks. The IBS is eliminated, I don't cry excessively, I don't get extremely hot or cold, I can breathe normally, and I am able to rationally address the problem at hand."

gwen2295 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2013

InnoPran XL (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "The only high blood pressure medicine that really helped, BUT due to the price going off the charts, and no insurance, I've had to take a different medicine and suffer with headaches."

KC18 September 29, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "I used to get so red, and feel my heart will get out of my chest when I want to make a presentation in the university. Until the day I tried propranolol and it was more than a miracle. I felt so confident, so strong and did excellent in my presentations, with only 10mg half an hour before. That's AMAZING and life changing indeed."

Anonymoussssss September 18, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Performance Anxiety: "This medication really helped by anxiety. I took 20 mg one hour before going to work and when my boss asked me how was I, I didn't blush as usual and didn't feel so uncomfortable. Even though I thought the symptoms will come but was surprised that I didn't blush."

Blusher (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "The beta-blockers have been an amazing comfort to me for really stressful presentations or broadcast interviews - where I am able to perform without being red-faced and shaky. HOWEVER, I don't take them often because the side effects I experience are vivid (almost waking) nightmares. For instance, the night of one presentation, I was woken up by a strange man in my room... in reality he wasn't a stranger, he was my husband, but in my waking dream, I didn't have a husband and I had never seen him before in my life - I was absolutely terrified he was going to hurt me. I nearly punched him (in reality) in my attempt to get away from my loving and confused husband."

Anonymous August 23, 2013