User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Ventricular Tachycardia 1 reviews 33 medications

Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 211 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Britanichris (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: My tremors were getting worse and worse so I went to my Doctor. She thought I had Parkinson's and referred me to a neurologist. The appointment came through about 4 months later. The Neurologist diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Half Inderal 80g once a day. After taking the meds I felt so much better, I still get the shakes but nowhere near so bad. My muscles are stiff though and it's causing me problems walking far and my neck and shoulders hurt too. I'll have to ask whether Inderal is the cause at my next appointment. All in all it's been great, I especially notice the difference when cooking or eating a meal or drinking from a glass, I don't spill as much now and it's less embarrassing when in a restaurant.

May 11, 2013 1:31 AM

Review by go ask alice:

For Performance Anxiety: I used to freak out during presentations, it got to the point where I would have a full blown panic attack in front of the classroom. I would get so embarrassed and it made me feel insecure then in all aspects of my life. Especially social situations. I had a presentation today and although I was nervous before, it completely disappeared once I started talking. My heart was still pounding but not coming out of my chest and I wasn't shaking. I felt so calm and confident. I think this pill is amazing.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol is a miracle. It helps with public speaking with no side effects and no addiction. I still feel nervous when I am presenting, but it does not show at all on the outside. People think I am a natural. I have had experiences all the way back in elementary school and high school when I would shake and breath fast, almost having a panic attack when getting up in front of the class. Now, because of this medicine, I am not held back and can be who I want to be in my profession. Plus, this medicine is cheap.

May 3, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by cnaddy:

For Performance Anxiety: It was a miracle. I'm a sophomore in college and ever since I started college I have been nervous with public speaking. It was always a hot mess. My hands would shake, my voice would tremble, I would speed through everything often missing valuable information. I took one of these about an hour before my presentation and it worked so well! I was able to look up and look at people as I spoke and I was not uncomfortable at all. It really was amazing to stand up there without my usual anxiety. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by Rana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I have been suffering of migraine-tension headaches for more than two years now. I tried paracetamol, NSAIDs all not effective, until my doctor prescribed me on beta blockers "propranolol" Inderal 20mg twice a day, and my headache really improved after 2-3 months. Thanks!

May 1, 2013 1:01 PM

Review by my name is rd geeta sharma... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I am suffering from migraine for eight years. I went to the doctor four years back and he prescribed me amitriptyline, cinnarizine and sumatriptan though they worked but were not amazing. Amitriptyline used to make me sleep for hours and it affected my daily life. I told my doctor about this and he finally gave me propranolol and it has worked. Now I have minor headache and the frequency has reduced drastically. I am very happy as I can concentrate on other things.

April 29, 2013 9:47 AM

Review by RobertaJ (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by BobbieH (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by melisssmikey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Panic Disorder: I have panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Before I started taking propranolol I would have fast heart rates and the shakes, I could not function. This medicine enables me to live a close to normal life as possible! It does give me cold hands and a little morning dizziness but so what. Compared to a life without it that's nothing.

April 22, 2013 6:34 AM

Review by mr hello (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had tremendous problems with public speaking/presentations. I would almost pray that I would slip and break my leg prior to the presentation, so that I would be deliberated from the pressure. I get full blown panic attacks when speaking in front of a crowd. This is a nightmare considering the circumstances; 30 people sitting dead quiet in a room just staring at you while you are turning into a complete mess. For the first time in my life, at the age of 33, I tried Inderal 20 mg 1 hour prior to an academic presentation. I kid you not, it felt as if I was in my living room chatting with my parents. No anxiety. This tremendous problem vanished thanks to 2 pills. No side effects. Mind blowing.

April 19, 2013 6:02 PM

Review by peterpuddleduck:

For Anxiety: Propanolol is a great anxiety treatment! Unlike Alprazolam, which treats anxiety by creating a mildly stupefying delirium, Propanolol provides an underlying steadiness and effectively prevents the physiological symptoms of anxiety, including racing heart, shakiness, quavering voice, flushing cheeks, somersaulting insides, etc. There are few side affects with Propanolol other than improved blood pressure, win win.

April 16, 2013 2:28 AM

Review by Bridg (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: All I can say is WOW! This is A-mazing to say the least. Have always been terrified of oral presentations. Had one today, took one 10mg propranolol 1 hour prior to the presentation. Was very fearful that it wasn't going to work but man was I as calm as ever! It was so nice to be standing up in front of the class being able to talk(breathe) no racing heart, no running out of air, no, not being able to finish a sentence! Where has this been all my life!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 9:16 PM

Review by Ted o (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Excellent. Worked from day one for my anxiety! I tried SSRI's and Wellbutrin. Neither worked for my anxiety. 10mg of the propranolol and I am so happy and waaaaay less anxious.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by Gina3629:

For Performance Anxiety: I have 20 years of public speaking experience as it's been about 75% of what it is that I do for a living. I loved it and have always been good at it. Over the last two years, I've developed these severe panic attacks before giving a presentation and they were progressively getting worse. The blood would rush to my face, my heart beat would pound in my ears, my voice would shake, I couldn't control my breathing or train of thought. This sudden inability to do what I've always done led to depression. I finally went to see my family physician. She immediately prescribed me propanolol. I take 1 10mg pill 30 minutes before public speaking and I finally feel normal again. None of the feelings I have leading up to the attack appeared.

March 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by Mycocotoo:

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I have had good luck with this medicine but as I age it appears to be less effective, or it may be that my tremors are getting worse and the dosage needs to be increased. I have tried an increase in the medication and have become very sluggish. All in all it is working rather well and the cost is low.

February 26, 2013 5:14 PM

Review by True Believer:

For Performance Anxiety: I have battled with public speaking for 18 years and would get nervous about a speech even if it was months away. It ended the second I took propranolol. I take 20-40mg 1 hour prior to any public speaking event and I am completely calm. No racing heart beat prior to standing up, no shaky voice, no trembling hands, no more anxiety attacks, etc. I can't believe I've spent 18 years trying every technique on the market, herbs, physical training, etc. to finally realize this one medicine would instantly cure me. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist after I lost all hope and this has no doubt changed my life and career over night. I went from a regular engineer to running a division of 200 people now with zero fear of speaking to them.

February 23, 2013 1:18 AM

Review by crider81812 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I am almost 30 and have been getting migraines since I was junior high age and my father also suffers from migraines. I have been in the ER every other month at least for the pain. I had a migraine that lasted 13 days straight and couldn't take it anymore. I take amitriptyline every night for several years now for prevention but wasn't on anything for the onset pain of a migraine even though the amitriptyline was working amazing. I still take it now with the Propranolol twice a day for a couple of weeks now and have only gotten a couple of small headaches and a few side effects. I am very happy with it.

February 19, 2013 4:55 AM

Review by Impressed (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: I wouldn't say that I have a problem performing in fact it's the opposite. However I am on a few other medications that absoluty wire me. So by proxy lots of anxiety has been created. Throughout the day. I take 20mg three times a day and can remain calm and collected. It Actually helps to keep me focused. I guess it's true meds work totally differently for everyone. The only problem is if I forget a dose it can be unbearable and I'm not able to communicate well at all.

February 12, 2013 4:14 AM

Review by BarbaraFitzMe:

For Benign Essential Tremor: I have taken Propranolol to treat Benign Esstential Tremors for over 20 years now. I finally saw my PCP when not only my hands would shake but, under stressful situations, my head began shaking. He prescribed 40mg once daily. Twenty-some years later, I am still on the same dose - though I am just beginning to realize I need to increase the dose as the tremors are rearing their ugly heads again on occasion. The only side effect I am aware of is that I had less energy and, in the beginning, I recall a weight gain of about 20 lbs. If memory is affected adversely, I don't recall. Haha!

February 10, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by sugar58:

For Migraine Prevention: After trying a ton of different medications and having no luck, my doctor finally decided to put me on propranolol. After trying so many meds with no luck, I didn't have much hope. I have been on this medication for 3 days now and I am ECSTATIC! I am taking 40mg twice a day (once in morning and once at night). I used to wake up with headaches and go to bed with headaches and for these 3 days I have not had ANY pain! I usually have headaches at least 4-5 days a week and for me to wake up with no pain and go to bed with no pain feels so amazing. I didn't get any dizziness or any side effects at all so far. Although it's only been 3 days so far, I can tell it's made a huge difference already.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Flag59:

For Migraine Prevention: After quitting drinking about a year ago I developed severe migraine headaches. The Propranolol LA 160MG caps have worked very well and I seldom get migraines. I decided because of cost and the fact I was having so few headaches, to try and wean myself from this medication, within 2 days the headaches were back. So I'm back on the Propranolol and back to being headache free most of the time.

January 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Review by johnrecovered (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Taken for years battling anxiety, quite helpful if taken at onset of attack; bottom line-exercise for me is better!

January 18, 2013 5:09 PM

Review by Natisly:

For Migraine Prevention: I have read most of the posts, I am so glad this medicine has helped so many but unfortunately I am one if the few that it did the opposite. I have been on Topamax, a bit effective but I created a fast resistance to it and the constant "idiot" mode, fatige, tingling and memory loss made me decide to ask him to change me to something else. Since you can't be taken off Topamax cold turkey I was advised to take 50mg and one 60mg of propranolol, the first 5 minutes it felt like I had taken a good 5 shots of tequila without the gagging. After that I left as if someone had dropped a bucket of ice water on me and then a nasty migraine...4 hours later I'm without a breath barely feeling my legs.

January 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by traddles:

For Performance Anxiety: I am a no. 2 player in a high profile orchestra. Bullying from below has been a problem. I'm now entirely secure in my position after ten years, not because my managers have dealt with it, but because my doctors continue to without concern prescribe propranolol. They review me regularly and I play solos that are so difficult next to the most impossible of colleagues. As a kid I would have said we in a music school should never touch beta blockers but as a professional I can tell you that the people get you down and my work has never stopped since being prescribed propranolol. It saved my career.

December 30, 2012 6:42 PM

Review by Samgal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from chronic migraines for about 10 years now. I have literally tried EVERYTHING both prescription and holistic. Propanolol was the first medication I found that gave me relief, I went from having migraines on a daily basis to only having about one a week. And the more time that passes, the less intense the migraines seem to be. I take 80mg ER once daily.

December 29, 2012 7:56 PM