User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

Ventricular Tachycardia 2 reviews 32 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 1 reviews 118 medications

5.5
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 257 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propranolol

For Performance Anxiety: "Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it."

JASkq March 23, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety."

Anonymous 34 March 10, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, which is difficult as it prevents me from doing day to day activities, I am doing the exposure and response treatment by myself whilst on the list to go see a professional in CBT. It causes me severe anxiety. I got panicky on buses and at work and would be so afraid of having a panic attack I'd avoid stuff. I told my DR and he gave me these anxiety tablets. My OCD was playing up so I was scaring myself into avoiding taking them incase I became dependent on them. I had an important meeting, I knew I needed help with so I took one, it worked! I took 4 buses in one day went to my meeting and felt confident again no anxiety at all. It doesn't stop your OCD worries however it stops anxiety which helped me."

Loopybird (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "Like lots of you that have commented. I have a huge fear of speaking in front of large groups of people. I'm in sales and I'm great in 1 on 1 or smalls groups when making a sales call. But when I'm asked to speak or get up and talk in company sales meetings that usually consist of 50 people. I freak out instant red face shaky hands trembling voice the whole 9 yards. I was to the point of making a career change from a job that I loved because I lost hope in fixing this problem. Until my doctor prescribed me propranolol or the miracle pill! I take 1 20mg pill about 1 hour before a meeting and 1 take another 10mg right before the meeting. I loose all fear no shaky hands no red face my heart rate is calm I think clear and speak well. Love it."

Miracle pill March 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I am a professional in my late 20s who has had to do a lot of public speaking as of late for work. I have somehow coped with the symptoms of my performance anxiety (extreme heart beat, flushed face, shaking, frozen mind, inability to form complete thoughts, stuttering) until recently since my job depends upon my public speaking and the anxiety has become over burden some. No matter how hard I prepared for public speaking before, I would always experience these debilitating symptoms. Went to doctor who prescribed propranolol before performances. It is really like magic. It completely eliminates my awful physical symptoms. I feel totally relaxed and able to perform to my fullest. Has changed my life! Wish I knew about it years ago!"

lmnop657 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2014

For Arrhythmia: "Tried other meds for arrhythmia but all had side effects I couldn't deal with. This one was most tolerable although it causes some fatigue and dizziness at times which are issues I already deal with-Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I try to take it at night or at a time when I can rest after taking it if I need to."

ms. evie February 19, 2014

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I've been on this medicine for at least 10yrs. It has been working so far. I was on something else before they found out that I had Mitral Valve Prolapse all I had was tachycardia then they found the MVP and the meds I was on wasn't working so I was put on this."

ELLIE Jo February 18, 2014

For Anxiety: "Made me suicidal."

Anonymous February 6, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "My entire life, I have had a fear of public speaking that is so intense I would literally shut down and stop talking in the middle of a presentation. My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest, my mind goes completely blank, I turn red-faced, and my body and voice begin to tremble uncontrollably. I failed college courses, changed jobs, and altered my entire life just to avoid speaking in public. It was such a difficult and embarrassing problem that filled me with so much shame. One day, a friend told me about propranolol and so I went to the Doctor. The Doc prescribed and I can now present like a professional with zero anxiety. Simply put, this medicine changed my entire life and I would recommend it to anyone with anxiety."

Edward812k February 6, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: "Doc prescribed this medication to control my high heart rate after a 3 day hospitalization due to supra ventricular tachycardia. I had horrible side effects. Terrible insomnia, sometimes awake for 24 hours. Palpitations. Heavy congested feeling in chest. Anxiety. I was only on it for 10 days! Switched to metoprolol and after 2 days started to feel tons better!!!"

Okiedokie1717 January 23, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I had read about the calming effects of this drug and my doctor kindly prescribed me some ahead of my Mother's funeral. I was intending to deliver a eulogy of about 10 minutes duration and I really did not want to break down as I was speaking. There is nothing worse than a sobbing speaker. I took Propanalol about 1 hour before the service and it made a huge difference. I was calm throughout the service and I delivered the whole eulogy without any cracking in my voice. I even remembered to look around the audience and engage people by eye. Everyone was very impressed and I was mightily relieved. I will definitely take this medication before any future public speaking."

Norfolk David (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these."

CGRAHAM00 January 14, 2014

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage."

DanaLM January 14, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Took propranolol ER 80 mg before bedtime for the first time and woke up significantly calm and rested and my blood pressure went down to 129/79 versus 140/89 with a 30 day average. We'll see how it goes the next 30 days. At least I do not feel the need for a Valium this morning."

A rabbit January 4, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was lowered immediately after beginning this medicine, also helps with nervous shakes (visible in the hands and feet). It's a great prescription! I've combined this with sodium reduction and relaxation exercises and I have seen My BP drop to the level it was when I was an 18 year old vegetarian and just 80 lbs. Recommend taking this prescription if you are prescribed it. I was lightheaded and dizzy when I took first dose, but not a single issue since that."

Amanda Glamdoll January 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I have a severe phobia of public speaking and major physiological signs and symptoms when doing so. I would have a pounding heart, sweat, shaking hands, and a trembling voice, and my mind would even go completely blank. In my career, I had to speak in public on a regular basis and I lived in fear of each speaking event. I was prescribed propranolol to take an hour before I had to do any public speaking and it helped me out tremendously. I had no physiological symptoms at all while speaking. It is a miracle. I highly recommend propranolol for this indication."

natty13 December 13, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Didn't do much for my anxiety. I still had shortness of breath and that "pit" in my stomach. There was maybe a little less shakiness, but other than that, I still felt anxious. Now I'm on lorazepam, which works much better for me. However, I could understand why many people do not want to take benzos might want to at least give this a try. It just wasn't for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2013

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: "I had a social phobia for a long time with a rapid out of control heart beat, its a big difference since I started taking this medicine, anxiety is a lot less, and more out going with the public and less fear, but the only side effect that I'm not comfortable with is delayed ejaculation."

no medicine is perfect December 8, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "I cannot believe how effective this medicine is. Usually I would be shaky, bright red and my voice would sound like I'm about to cry or something. After taking 40mg before my presentation I was as cool as a cucumber! Kept thinking during the presentation, I can't believe I am able to do this and not feel embarrassed. Won't fear presentations anymore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "After 7 years on various SSRI's and many other tried and tested medicines I finally stumbled across propranolol. A truly life changing medicine for my anxiety disorder. I always presented with high blood pressure and my belief is that hypertension is an underlying cause of crippling anxiety. If it isn't then it is most certainly involved in the anxiety circle, more hypertension, more anxiety, more hypertension, etc. Anyway this is the best medication I have ever taken...my mind and body seem to be healing in a way I can only describe as miraculous! Please bear with this medication, although it does work immediately I'd say it takes around 6 weeks to fully bed in."

Michael69 November 26, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "Well, I must be a really bad case. Seems like 10-20 mg does the trick for most people. I'm a singer/guitarist. I took 10 mg the first time one hour before performance...didn't work. Next time took 20 mg....didn't work. Next time I'll try 30 mg. I'm only 5'3", 103 pounds."

jenna strawberry November 22, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "I was horrendous at talking publically and had run away from giving presentations so much so that I had changed jobs and never given a presentation in my life. I took a new job I knew I would love but involved presentations so went to my Doc. He prescribed Propanolol quick release and what can I say? Amazing... Now timing and amounts are trial and error. I am a big guy - 6'2, 220 lbs so for me I stagger mine and take 80mg 1hr 45 before, 80 mg 1hr 30 before and 80mg 1hr 15 before and for that hour I am amazing. So 240 mg in total. I would not recommend starting out on this dose. For women try 20mg and men 40mg and move up if required. Side effects for me - hard to sleep if I have taken after 2pm, extra sweating and no cardio within 4 hours"

StrongPresenter (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2013

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Inderal to help with migraines. I still get headaches almost daily but they aren't migraine-quality and can be managed with Ibuprofen. Negatives: sleep disturbances, feet are ALWAYS freezing, and I'm experiencing frequent orthostatic hypotension. I had normal-to-low BP when starting this med so I don't think it's the right med for my body, since it lowers BP. I like not having migraines but can't exercise or live life if I'm always dizzy and weak."

Misha13 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2013

For Panic Disorder: "I tried Cipralex for 6 months, then Wellbutrin XL for 4 months. They helped but still not able to function ( No work, moved home, no friends, Not willingly leaving the house, avoiding social anything). I was then prescribed Propranolol with the Wellbutrin, a gradual build up to 20mg over 1 month. Now I am as cool as a cucumber. Still a bit nervous to head outside but that is just thoughts and not a physical reaction. No side effects besides weird dreams but that might be from the Wellbutrin. The first time in a year since this all started I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I am 28, male, heavy drinker. Alcohol might be why this all started. I went from traveling extensively to never leaving the house overnight."

Boiled Frogs. November 8, 2013

For Performance Anxiety: "This drug changed everything for me. I am a singer.. A bloody good one at that and the one thing that always stopped me was stage fright. I was terrified. Didn't seem to matter how often I made myself sing solo and how many times I felt so amazing after that solo, next time would be just as bad or worse. I would literally vibrate, even the muscles in my face would quiver and I had no control. For years I struggled with this until someone finally convinced me to go to the doctors.. I felt ridiculous even saying this to him thinking he was basically going to tell me to get over it. Instead he calmly said 'ok I'm going to prescribe you a small dosage of propranolol' .. And that was it. The crippling stage fright was just gone.. Like magic :)"

Nuala M November 6, 2013