User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

6.6
Ventricular Tachycardia 2 reviews 33 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 233 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Nuala M:

For Performance Anxiety: This drug changed everything for me. I am a singer.. A bloody good one at that and the one thing that always stopped me was stage fright. I was terrified. Didn't seem to matter how often I made myself sing solo and how many times I felt so amazing after that solo, next time would be just as bad or worse. I would literally vibrate, even the muscles in my face would quiver and I had no control. For years I struggled with this until someone finally convinced me to go to the doctors.. I felt ridiculous even saying this to him thinking he was basically going to tell me to get over it. Instead he calmly said 'ok I'm going to prescribe you a small dosage of propranolol' .. And that was it. The crippling stage fright was just gone.. Like magic :)

November 6, 2013 10:59 AM

Review by The Man In The Back (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I had experienced stress-induced migraines from work for years... truly agonizing... Once I discovered beta-blockers, I studied them for quite a while, and over time I correlated the migraines to a surge of catecholamines resulting from stressors acting on the fight or flight response mechanism, which operates via catecholamine release in the brain. Bottom line, 20 - 40 mg a day has completely eradicated the migraines.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 12:46 PM

Review by gwen2295 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered from panic attacks since the age of 13. My doctor prescribed propranolol on an as needed basis for this and it helped tremendously. I usually have severe periods of Irritable Bowel Syndrome during my panic attacks, which can lead to having to use the restroom over 10 times a day. It's painful, makes eating impossible, is embarrassing, and is huge nuisance to deal with in public. Propranolol completely eradicates the physical manifestations of my panic attacks. The IBS is eliminated, I don't cry excessively, I don't get extremely hot or cold, I can breathe normally, and I am able to rationally address the problem at hand.

October 12, 2013 7:16 PM

Review by KC18:

InnoPran XL (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: The only high blood pressure medicine that really helped, BUT due to the price going off the charts, and no insurance, I've had to take a different medicine and suffer with headaches.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2013 10:04 AM

Review by Anonymoussssss:

For Performance Anxiety: I used to get so red, and feel my heart will get out of my chest when I want to make a presentation in the university. Until the day I tried propranolol and it was more than a miracle. I felt so confident, so strong and did excellent in my presentations, with only 10mg half an hour before. That's AMAZING and life changing indeed.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 10:12 AM

Review by Blusher (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: This medication really helped by anxiety. I took 20 mg one hour before going to work and when my boss asked me how was I, I didn't blush as usual and didn't feel so uncomfortable. Even though I thought the symptoms will come but was surprised that I didn't blush.

August 28, 2013 6:24 PM

For Performance Anxiety: The beta-blockers have been an amazing comfort to me for really stressful presentations or broadcast interviews - where I am able to perform without being red-faced and shaky. HOWEVER, I don't take them often because the side effects I experience are vivid (almost waking) nightmares. For instance, the night of one presentation, I was woken up by a strange man in my room... in reality he wasn't a stranger, he was my husband, but in my waking dream, I didn't have a husband and I had never seen him before in my life - I was absolutely terrified he was going to hurt me. I nearly punched him (in reality) in my attempt to get away from my loving and confused husband.

August 23, 2013 2:52 AM

Review by Changes everything!! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Performance Anxiety: I have always had a debilitating fear of public speaking, to the point I would worry months before I knew I was giving a presentation. In my line of work, it is an important skill to be able to give oral presentations and I knew it was something I would have to fix. My doctor prescribed me propranolol. I was reluctant, but after reading others reviews, I gave it a shot. It honestly is the BEST thing my doctor could have prescribed me. I am able to give a presentation without shaking and actually feel at ease. I hope over time as my confidence builds, I will be able to deliver a speech without it.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by PropranololRocks (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Performance Anxiety: I got on here just to rate this medicine, ironically, after reading about it on here. I'm a professional speaker and performer who for years was an amateur wannabe speaker and performer. I have a lot of involuntary nervousness like redness and shaking hands which would sabotage me despite my general level of comfort and quality of presentation. Take 10-40 mg 30 mins to an hour and it becomes physically impossible to get nervous. Now I'm rapidly moving up in my field thanks to my poise and confidence.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by Sara8614:

For Performance Anxiety: It works like a charm - stops the sweating and shaking and hot flashes ascociated with performance anxiety. Makes me calm and able to focus. And absolutely no side efffects. Also, I haven't had a headache in the six months I've been on it.

August 8, 2013 8:42 AM

Review by Sadie K.:

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and extreme anxiety where I basically depleted my adrenals from being so anxious all the time. I was in a constant state of fight or flight. Since my Dr. prescribed this medicine a few years ago it has worked wonders and changed my life. I am now able to function fairly normally as it greatly reduces my heart rate. I seem to have extreme sensitivity to heat as well and it calms my pulse in warm temperatures too. Its never fun to always be aware of a racing heart rate and this med really helps. Takes about 20 mins to kick in but then I usually feel much calmer. Very happy to been prescribed this.

July 19, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by wayne - londonn:

For Performance Anxiety: Really works, also stopped headaches that I have had for 10 years. Down side on libido - haven't had erection since taking it.

July 14, 2013 6:27 AM

Review by A miracle pill (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: I sometimes get picked to read Bible lessons in the Church on Sundays & I would go forward and mess up terribly - shaking, voice breaking, hands sweating, etc. This got real bad that I had to discuss it with my doctor. I actually asked him for Xanax but instead, he prescribed Propanolol. This medicine worked miracles. I even started to think I did not need it anymore until one day I didn't take it and I was called to read the Bible lesson. I had the worst experience of my life that day and promised myself I would never go to Church anymore without taking Propranolol. Since after that day, everything has been okay - of course, with Propranolol. I did not know any medicine could be that effective! I take 10-15mg as needed 1-2 hrs before Church.

July 12, 2013 2:38 AM

Review by Wind player:

For Performance Anxiety: Any wind player (oboe, clarinet, trumpet, etc.) who has a problem with hyperventilating and rapid heart beat during a performance should try this medicine. As a clarinetist, this used to happen to me, especially during long passages of holding a note and expelling almost all of the air in my lungs. I would find myself almost gasping for air and could feel the rapidity of my heartbeat. Inderal prevents the heart from racing and helps you maintain your focus. I don't use it all the time, but for those "special" performances, a mere 10mg does the trick.

July 9, 2013 9:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Benign Essential Tremor: Have been taking Inderal LA for years for Essential Tremor. Originally started on immedate release tablets (40mg, Twice Daily) and switched to long acting (120mg, Once Daily). Stops tremor of hands, voice, neck. Without taking medication, tremor can be felt through abdomen and into legs.

July 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by Autumn_Skies:

For Migraine Prevention: When I was 16 years old I had what most people would have thought would be a stroke. My entire right side was numb. I was slurring my words and my lip was dropping and a terrible terrible migraine. And I was diagnosed with having complex migraines. I'm 17 now and I had another "episode" in May. And just recently I had another this month. But since I have been on this medication I have had little to no headaches unless I forget to take it for a couple days, but propranolol saved my life. If I continue to have these episodes then we will know that it's more than just a migraine and we are going to have to see a neurologist. I have had 2 CAT scans that showed no tumors but my dad had brain tumors that were small. Wish me luck!

July 2, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by JDB13:

For Migraine Prevention: Went to the Dr. for arrhythmia and vertigo. By the end of the week I was slurring my words and they thought I may have had a stroke. All test came back negative. I never had a migraine headache but after the age of 40 I had what my Dr. called silent migraines. There is a family history of migraines. The neurologist put me on propranolol to help with the dizziness and vertigo about a week ago. Starting today I am on 160 MG. It seems to be helping at times. The problem is I have always had BP of 110/70 it dropped this week to 93/60. They said not to be concerned.

June 24, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by Ann zaff:

For Anxiety: I've been taking propranolol for anxiety, a racing heart, hyperthyroidism. It works well, but I have been getting a very foggy head and bad dreams.

June 17, 2013 1:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I've battled migraines since I was 14 and was diagnosed with PMDD. 10 to 15 days out of the month I get crippling migranes. I've tried numerous things and nothing has really helped. I've been on Inderal for a couple days now along with Norco and still have what I would consider a fairly bad headache. I'm still seeing the aura and occasional star flashes in my eyes. I'm hoping something changes here soon. I will say last night was my first night since I've had my son, I slept a full 6 hours straight.

June 15, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by katekore:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on propranolol since mid-January 2013. If I remember correctly, it began working within a few weeks. I am on 80mg (can't remember if I worked up to that or not, was in rehab at the time so not everything is crystal clear) and have found that my daily headaches have pretty much completely disappeared. I read that the normal dose is between 80 and 240mg, but I obviously want to be on as little as possible, especially considering possible side effects. But 80mg works for me. Rarely I get one and ibuprofen is enough to relieve it. This medicine was truly life-changing for me. I have had chronic headaches from the age of 9! Point being, if you are considering this medication to help prevent headaches, I highly recommend you try it.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2013 2:33 AM

Review by Aaron 26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I'm 26 year old male, I used to lead a party animal life i.e. Alcohol, etc. I thought I was invincible through my teens then after 16 years abuse I woke up one morning and felt like I was having a heart attack flared up in the face, tingling down my arms, lack of breath, confusion, hot and cold sweats happened quite often on a daily basis so I went into hospital, did an ECG on my heart then the doctor said you are having panic/anxiety attacks. The flashbacks of my past triggered it. I've been put on 80mg slow release beta blocker they work great for me never had a panic attack since.

May 28, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by cmclien (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: Put me on this for chronic daily headaches (some migraine, some not). It has been two weeks and the headaches which I normally get in the morning are fleeting now and go away on their own which they never did before. Start low and go slow advised so I am taking 20mg a day that I divide up. I am very sensitive to medicines, the side effects for me are middle of the night insomnia which I'm hoping to fix by taking less at night. Stomach upset which it helps to take with food and I increased my Prilosec dose. A little lethargic, dry eyes. Pros that I wasn't counting on is it has helped my TMJD, I feel much calmer during the day (have some Social Anxiety) and my overactive bladder is calmer too.

May 14, 2013 9:51 AM

Review by Britanichris (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: My tremors were getting worse and worse so I went to my Doctor. She thought I had Parkinson's and referred me to a neurologist. The appointment came through about 4 months later. The Neurologist diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Half Inderal 80g once a day. After taking the meds I felt so much better, I still get the shakes but nowhere near so bad. My muscles are stiff though and it's causing me problems walking far and my neck and shoulders hurt too. I'll have to ask whether Inderal is the cause at my next appointment. All in all it's been great, I especially notice the difference when cooking or eating a meal or drinking from a glass, I don't spill as much now and it's less embarrassing when in a restaurant.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 1:31 AM

Review by go ask alice:

For Performance Anxiety: I used to freak out during presentations, it got to the point where I would have a full blown panic attack in front of the classroom. I would get so embarrassed and it made me feel insecure then in all aspects of my life. Especially social situations. I had a presentation today and although I was nervous before, it completely disappeared once I started talking. My heart was still pounding but not coming out of my chest and I wasn't shaking. I felt so calm and confident. I think this pill is amazing.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol is a miracle. It helps with public speaking with no side effects and no addiction. I still feel nervous when I am presenting, but it does not show at all on the outside. People think I am a natural. I have had experiences all the way back in elementary school and high school when I would shake and breath fast, almost having a panic attack when getting up in front of the class. Now, because of this medicine, I am not held back and can be who I want to be in my profession. Plus, this medicine is cheap.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 10:38 AM