User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Ventricular Tachycardia 1 reviews 33 medications

Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 219 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Benign Essential Tremor: Have been taking Inderal LA for years for Essential Tremor. Originally started on immedate release tablets (40mg, Twice Daily) and switched to long acting (120mg, Once Daily). Stops tremor of hands, voice, neck. Without taking medication, tremor can be felt through abdomen and into legs.

July 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by Autumn_Skies:

For Migraine Prevention: When I was 16 years old I had what most people would have thought would be a stroke. My entire right side was numb. I was slurring my words and my lip was dropping and a terrible terrible migraine. And I was diagnosed with having complex migraines. I'm 17 now and I had another "episode" in May. And just recently I had another this month. But since I have been on this medication I have had little to no headaches unless I forget to take it for a couple days, but propranolol saved my life. If I continue to have these episodes then we will know that it's more than just a migraine and we are going to have to see a neurologist. I have had 2 CAT scans that showed no tumors but my dad had brain tumors that were small. Wish me luck!

July 2, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by JDB13:

For Migraine Prevention: Went to the Dr. for arrhythmia and vertigo. By the end of the week I was slurring my words and they thought I may have had a stroke. All test came back negative. I never had a migraine headache but after the age of 40 I had what my Dr. called silent migraines. There is a family history of migraines. The neurologist put me on propranolol to help with the dizziness and vertigo about a week ago. Starting today I am on 160 MG. It seems to be helping at times. The problem is I have always had BP of 110/70 it dropped this week to 93/60. They said not to be concerned.

June 24, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by Ann zaff:

For Anxiety: I've been taking propranolol for anxiety, a racing heart, hyperthyroidism. It works well, but I have been getting a very foggy head and bad dreams.

June 17, 2013 1:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I've battled migraines since I was 14 and was diagnosed with PMDD. 10 to 15 days out of the month I get crippling migranes. I've tried numerous things and nothing has really helped. I've been on Inderal for a couple days now along with Norco and still have what I would consider a fairly bad headache. I'm still seeing the aura and occasional star flashes in my eyes. I'm hoping something changes here soon. I will say last night was my first night since I've had my son, I slept a full 6 hours straight.

June 15, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by katekore:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on propranolol since mid-January 2013. If I remember correctly, it began working within a few weeks. I am on 80mg (can't remember if I worked up to that or not, was in rehab at the time so not everything is crystal clear) and have found that my daily headaches have pretty much completely disappeared. I read that the normal dose is between 80 and 240mg, but I obviously want to be on as little as possible, especially considering possible side effects. But 80mg works for me. Rarely I get one and ibuprofen is enough to relieve it. This medicine was truly life-changing for me. I have had chronic headaches from the age of 9! Point being, if you are considering this medication to help prevent headaches, I highly recommend you try it.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2013 2:33 AM

Review by Aaron 26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I'm 26 year old male, I used to lead a party animal life i.e. Alcohol, etc. I thought I was invincible through my teens then after 16 years abuse I woke up one morning and felt like I was having a heart attack flared up in the face, tingling down my arms, lack of breath, confusion, hot and cold sweats happened quite often on a daily basis so I went into hospital, did an ECG on my heart then the doctor said you are having panic/anxiety attacks. The flashbacks of my past triggered it. I've been put on 80mg slow release beta blocker they work great for me never had a panic attack since.

May 28, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by cmclien (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: Put me on this for chronic daily headaches (some migraine, some not). It has been two weeks and the headaches which I normally get in the morning are fleeting now and go away on their own which they never did before. Start low and go slow advised so I am taking 20mg a day that I divide up. I am very sensitive to medicines, the side effects for me are middle of the night insomnia which I'm hoping to fix by taking less at night. Stomach upset which it helps to take with food and I increased my Prilosec dose. A little lethargic, dry eyes. Pros that I wasn't counting on is it has helped my TMJD, I feel much calmer during the day (have some Social Anxiety) and my overactive bladder is calmer too.

May 14, 2013 9:51 AM

Review by Britanichris (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: My tremors were getting worse and worse so I went to my Doctor. She thought I had Parkinson's and referred me to a neurologist. The appointment came through about 4 months later. The Neurologist diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Half Inderal 80g once a day. After taking the meds I felt so much better, I still get the shakes but nowhere near so bad. My muscles are stiff though and it's causing me problems walking far and my neck and shoulders hurt too. I'll have to ask whether Inderal is the cause at my next appointment. All in all it's been great, I especially notice the difference when cooking or eating a meal or drinking from a glass, I don't spill as much now and it's less embarrassing when in a restaurant.

May 11, 2013 1:31 AM

Review by go ask alice:

For Performance Anxiety: I used to freak out during presentations, it got to the point where I would have a full blown panic attack in front of the classroom. I would get so embarrassed and it made me feel insecure then in all aspects of my life. Especially social situations. I had a presentation today and although I was nervous before, it completely disappeared once I started talking. My heart was still pounding but not coming out of my chest and I wasn't shaking. I felt so calm and confident. I think this pill is amazing.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Performance Anxiety: Propranolol is a miracle. It helps with public speaking with no side effects and no addiction. I still feel nervous when I am presenting, but it does not show at all on the outside. People think I am a natural. I have had experiences all the way back in elementary school and high school when I would shake and breath fast, almost having a panic attack when getting up in front of the class. Now, because of this medicine, I am not held back and can be who I want to be in my profession. Plus, this medicine is cheap.

May 3, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by cnaddy:

For Performance Anxiety: It was a miracle. I'm a sophomore in college and ever since I started college I have been nervous with public speaking. It was always a hot mess. My hands would shake, my voice would tremble, I would speed through everything often missing valuable information. I took one of these about an hour before my presentation and it worked so well! I was able to look up and look at people as I spoke and I was not uncomfortable at all. It really was amazing to stand up there without my usual anxiety. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

May 1, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by Rana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I have been suffering of migraine-tension headaches for more than two years now. I tried paracetamol, NSAIDs all not effective, until my doctor prescribed me on beta blockers "propranolol" Inderal 20mg twice a day, and my headache really improved after 2-3 months. Thanks!

May 1, 2013 1:01 PM

Review by my name is rd geeta sharma... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I am suffering from migraine for eight years. I went to the doctor four years back and he prescribed me amitriptyline, cinnarizine and sumatriptan though they worked but were not amazing. Amitriptyline used to make me sleep for hours and it affected my daily life. I told my doctor about this and he finally gave me propranolol and it has worked. Now I have minor headache and the frequency has reduced drastically. I am very happy as I can concentrate on other things.

April 29, 2013 9:47 AM

Review by RobertaJ (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by BobbieH (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by melisssmikey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Panic Disorder: I have panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Before I started taking propranolol I would have fast heart rates and the shakes, I could not function. This medicine enables me to live a close to normal life as possible! It does give me cold hands and a little morning dizziness but so what. Compared to a life without it that's nothing.

April 22, 2013 6:34 AM

Review by mr hello (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had tremendous problems with public speaking/presentations. I would almost pray that I would slip and break my leg prior to the presentation, so that I would be deliberated from the pressure. I get full blown panic attacks when speaking in front of a crowd. This is a nightmare considering the circumstances; 30 people sitting dead quiet in a room just staring at you while you are turning into a complete mess. For the first time in my life, at the age of 33, I tried Inderal 20 mg 1 hour prior to an academic presentation. I kid you not, it felt as if I was in my living room chatting with my parents. No anxiety. This tremendous problem vanished thanks to 2 pills. No side effects. Mind blowing.

April 19, 2013 6:02 PM

Review by peterpuddleduck:

For Anxiety: Propanolol is a great anxiety treatment! Unlike Alprazolam, which treats anxiety by creating a mildly stupefying delirium, Propanolol provides an underlying steadiness and effectively prevents the physiological symptoms of anxiety, including racing heart, shakiness, quavering voice, flushing cheeks, somersaulting insides, etc. There are few side affects with Propanolol other than improved blood pressure, win win.

April 16, 2013 2:28 AM

Review by Bridg (taken for less than 1 month):

For Performance Anxiety: All I can say is WOW! This is A-mazing to say the least. Have always been terrified of oral presentations. Had one today, took one 10mg propranolol 1 hour prior to the presentation. Was very fearful that it wasn't going to work but man was I as calm as ever! It was so nice to be standing up in front of the class being able to talk(breathe) no racing heart, no running out of air, no, not being able to finish a sentence! Where has this been all my life!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 9:16 PM

Review by Ted o (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: Excellent. Worked from day one for my anxiety! I tried SSRI's and Wellbutrin. Neither worked for my anxiety. 10mg of the propranolol and I am so happy and waaaaay less anxious.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by Gina3629:

For Performance Anxiety: I have 20 years of public speaking experience as it's been about 75% of what it is that I do for a living. I loved it and have always been good at it. Over the last two years, I've developed these severe panic attacks before giving a presentation and they were progressively getting worse. The blood would rush to my face, my heart beat would pound in my ears, my voice would shake, I couldn't control my breathing or train of thought. This sudden inability to do what I've always done led to depression. I finally went to see my family physician. She immediately prescribed me propanolol. I take 1 10mg pill 30 minutes before public speaking and I finally feel normal again. None of the feelings I have leading up to the attack appeared.

March 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by Mycocotoo:

Inderal (propranolol) for Benign Essential Tremor: I have had good luck with this medicine but as I age it appears to be less effective, or it may be that my tremors are getting worse and the dosage needs to be increased. I have tried an increase in the medication and have become very sluggish. All in all it is working rather well and the cost is low.

February 26, 2013 5:14 PM

Review by True Believer:

For Performance Anxiety: I have battled with public speaking for 18 years and would get nervous about a speech even if it was months away. It ended the second I took propranolol. I take 20-40mg 1 hour prior to any public speaking event and I am completely calm. No racing heart beat prior to standing up, no shaky voice, no trembling hands, no more anxiety attacks, etc. I can't believe I've spent 18 years trying every technique on the market, herbs, physical training, etc. to finally realize this one medicine would instantly cure me. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist after I lost all hope and this has no doubt changed my life and career over night. I went from a regular engineer to running a division of 200 people now with zero fear of speaking to them.

February 23, 2013 1:18 AM

Review by crider81812 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I am almost 30 and have been getting migraines since I was junior high age and my father also suffers from migraines. I have been in the ER every other month at least for the pain. I had a migraine that lasted 13 days straight and couldn't take it anymore. I take amitriptyline every night for several years now for prevention but wasn't on anything for the onset pain of a migraine even though the amitriptyline was working amazing. I still take it now with the Propranolol twice a day for a couple of weeks now and have only gotten a couple of small headaches and a few side effects. I am very happy with it.

February 19, 2013 4:55 AM