User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

Ventricular Tachycardia 2 reviews 31 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 1 reviews 118 medications

5.5
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 266 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propranolol

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "I found immense relief with Inderal, on just 10mg every morning and night....it was like a miracle as preventative and I also have found it dulls a migraine if one happens to break through, by taking an extra one. I had been waking up with a bad headache/migraine every day, which lasted all day. Codeine was my only vague relief in mega doses. My only complaint is that since commencing Inderal I have gained 10kg and no dieting seems to help! All this in only 12 months. The other side effects have been an increase to my allergy intolerance to certain foods ie chocolate and a heightened problem with low blood sugar. So, the doctor has just commenced me on Topamax instead 25mg every morning and night. Will report how this compares!"

Trying something else May 29, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "Unbelievable. Suffered for years with performance anxiety and my current job meant I had to do more and more meeting. It got to point that I was thinking I'd have to leave my job or throw myself off a bridge to escape. As a last resort I went to doctors hoping to try beta blockers - I got these thinking they might help a bit. THEY TOTALLY CURED ME. It was like a miracle - I was even cracking jokes and arriving first at meeting where as before I'd hidden in toilets. Only my 1st week, don't know what the future holds but for now I'll just celebrate the relief this has provided."

Delaz May 23, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Performance Anxiety: "Having had panic attacks for decades when doing presentations, interviews, standing in line at the grocery shop, taking care of bank errands, sitting in meetings, talking on the phone...and on it goes...propranolol has really helped a lot. I still get the dooming feelings before the attacks and I'm still sweating, but I'm not going completely blank or shake until I fall out of my chair. Actually, when it's my turn, I'm pretty cool besides the sweating but that's not a big issue for me."

Somebody5221 May 8, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "It finally dawned on me that others might suffer my same public speaking "fight or flight" response. The uncontrollable shaking uncontrollably, heart racing as my turn to speak neared, panic attacks caused me to not speak and forgo many career advancing opportunities. I over prepared, tried public speaking classes, still the shakes and heart race caused me to lose my train of thought, cut myself short and generally look like an idiot. I finally searched online and found information on propranolol and Xanax. Frankly, Xanax just made me tired. I tried propranolol immediately prior to having to speak, and WOW. I waited for the heart race and blood rush, nothing. I was shocked and was able to speak like any normal person. Miracle!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I just tried propranolol for public speaking for the first time yesterday. I've hated public speaking my whole life. I shake and blush and it's very embarrassing. I Have a new job now where I have to speak in front of people sometimes. My Dr prescribed me 10 mg. I tried it over the weekend to see if I had any side effects and there were none. I'm generally an anxious person and it did make me feel calmer, but it was a subtle effect and I was worried that 10mg wouldn't work during my speech because I see some reviews of people taking much higher doses. But it actually worked. I still felt nervous like my Dr said I would but at least I didn't shake at all or feel the physical symptoms of my nervousness. I wish I had found this in high school and college."

njchuck (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "Went to the doctor to help with a clonidine taper. Clonidine was prescribed for methadone withdrawal along with Valium. Got off the methadone pretty easy considering how messed up I was. Now stuck with physical clonidine addiction after being on it for 3 months. Was prescribed propranolol for day time control of rebound high blood pressure and withdrawal anxiety and so far it is working amazingly. I feel like I could talk in front of 100,000 people and not flinch in fear. Because propranolol has its own withdrawal if you are on it too long just like clonidine but at least this time I am aware of the possibility rather than blindly taking some medication."

Billybongthorton (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "It truly is a miracle. Only thing I'll add differently, I wouldn't take it before an exam, as it kind of makes you a little foggy with the thought process. People can typically deal with this anxiety because its not speaking in front of people but definitely take it before speaking."

Jim Snt April 10, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I used to be a singer but had to quit because of worsening panic attacks (including twitching face muscles - the shame). I hated myself for quitting but saw no other choice. I was working as an EFL teacher and eventually had to quit that too because facing a class suddenly became overwhelming. Staff meetings were impossible, presentations at training sessions were out of the question, until even talking to my small class made me want to run far far away. So I became a freelance copywriter so I could stay at home and not face anyone. I was alone for about 6 years. About 6 months ago somebody told me about propanolol. My new job starts Monday. Thank you, thank you thank you, modern medicine, from me and my family, for giving me my life back"

keross March 28, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Performance Anxiety: "Although a very good medicine to overcome the performance anxiety, however one must take into account its two long term side effects: 1. Risk of diabetes due to this medicine 2. memory loss Please share your experience."

farhatruf March 26, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it."

JASkq March 23, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety."

Anonymous 34 March 10, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, which is difficult as it prevents me from doing day to day activities, I am doing the exposure and response treatment by myself whilst on the list to go see a professional in CBT. It causes me severe anxiety. I got panicky on buses and at work and would be so afraid of having a panic attack I'd avoid stuff. I told my DR and he gave me these anxiety tablets. My OCD was playing up so I was scaring myself into avoiding taking them incase I became dependent on them. I had an important meeting, I knew I needed help with so I took one, it worked! I took 4 buses in one day went to my meeting and felt confident again no anxiety at all. It doesn't stop your OCD worries however it stops anxiety which helped me."

Loopybird (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "Like lots of you that have commented. I have a huge fear of speaking in front of large groups of people. I'm in sales and I'm great in 1 on 1 or smalls groups when making a sales call. But when I'm asked to speak or get up and talk in company sales meetings that usually consist of 50 people. I freak out instant red face shaky hands trembling voice the whole 9 yards. I was to the point of making a career change from a job that I loved because I lost hope in fixing this problem. Until my doctor prescribed me propranolol or the miracle pill! I take 1 20mg pill about 1 hour before a meeting and 1 take another 10mg right before the meeting. I loose all fear no shaky hands no red face my heart rate is calm I think clear and speak well. Love it."

Miracle pill March 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I am a professional in my late 20s who has had to do a lot of public speaking as of late for work. I have somehow coped with the symptoms of my performance anxiety (extreme heart beat, flushed face, shaking, frozen mind, inability to form complete thoughts, stuttering) until recently since my job depends upon my public speaking and the anxiety has become over burden some. No matter how hard I prepared for public speaking before, I would always experience these debilitating symptoms. Went to doctor who prescribed propranolol before performances. It is really like magic. It completely eliminates my awful physical symptoms. I feel totally relaxed and able to perform to my fullest. Has changed my life! Wish I knew about it years ago!"

lmnop657 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2014

For Arrhythmia: "Tried other meds for arrhythmia but all had side effects I couldn't deal with. This one was most tolerable although it causes some fatigue and dizziness at times which are issues I already deal with-Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I try to take it at night or at a time when I can rest after taking it if I need to."

ms. evie February 19, 2014

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I've been on this medicine for at least 10yrs. It has been working so far. I was on something else before they found out that I had Mitral Valve Prolapse all I had was tachycardia then they found the MVP and the meds I was on wasn't working so I was put on this."

ELLIE Jo February 18, 2014

For Anxiety: "Made me suicidal."

Anonymous February 6, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "My entire life, I have had a fear of public speaking that is so intense I would literally shut down and stop talking in the middle of a presentation. My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest, my mind goes completely blank, I turn red-faced, and my body and voice begin to tremble uncontrollably. I failed college courses, changed jobs, and altered my entire life just to avoid speaking in public. It was such a difficult and embarrassing problem that filled me with so much shame. One day, a friend told me about propranolol and so I went to the Doctor. The Doc prescribed and I can now present like a professional with zero anxiety. Simply put, this medicine changed my entire life and I would recommend it to anyone with anxiety."

Edward812k February 6, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: "Doc prescribed this medication to control my high heart rate after a 3 day hospitalization due to supra ventricular tachycardia. I had horrible side effects. Terrible insomnia, sometimes awake for 24 hours. Palpitations. Heavy congested feeling in chest. Anxiety. I was only on it for 10 days! Switched to metoprolol and after 2 days started to feel tons better!!!"

Okiedokie1717 January 23, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I had read about the calming effects of this drug and my doctor kindly prescribed me some ahead of my Mother's funeral. I was intending to deliver a eulogy of about 10 minutes duration and I really did not want to break down as I was speaking. There is nothing worse than a sobbing speaker. I took Propanalol about 1 hour before the service and it made a huge difference. I was calm throughout the service and I delivered the whole eulogy without any cracking in my voice. I even remembered to look around the audience and engage people by eye. Everyone was very impressed and I was mightily relieved. I will definitely take this medication before any future public speaking."

Norfolk David (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these."

CGRAHAM00 January 14, 2014

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage."

DanaLM January 14, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Took propranolol ER 80 mg before bedtime for the first time and woke up significantly calm and rested and my blood pressure went down to 129/79 versus 140/89 with a 30 day average. We'll see how it goes the next 30 days. At least I do not feel the need for a Valium this morning."

A rabbit January 4, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was lowered immediately after beginning this medicine, also helps with nervous shakes (visible in the hands and feet). It's a great prescription! I've combined this with sodium reduction and relaxation exercises and I have seen My BP drop to the level it was when I was an 18 year old vegetarian and just 80 lbs. Recommend taking this prescription if you are prescribed it. I was lightheaded and dizzy when I took first dose, but not a single issue since that."

Amanda Glamdoll January 1, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: "I have a severe phobia of public speaking and major physiological signs and symptoms when doing so. I would have a pounding heart, sweat, shaking hands, and a trembling voice, and my mind would even go completely blank. In my career, I had to speak in public on a regular basis and I lived in fear of each speaking event. I was prescribed propranolol to take an hour before I had to do any public speaking and it helped me out tremendously. I had no physiological symptoms at all while speaking. It is a miracle. I highly recommend propranolol for this indication."

natty13 December 13, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next