User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Aortic Stenosis 0 reviews 2 medications

6.9
High Blood Pressure 12 reviews 261 medications

6.4
Heart Attack 0 reviews 120 medications

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pheochromocytoma 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Portal Hypertension 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tardive Dyskinesia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propranolol reviews 185 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Propranolol

Review by Mvt123 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I'll get straight too the point. If you're struggling with performance anxiety, and feel helpless (like I did), stop waiting and go see your doctor immediately and get a script for propranolol; it changed my life. Ever since I enrolled in University my fear of public speaking became heightened (because of the pressure to succeeded) to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation. It was the worst moment in my life, and I knew I needed serious help. I got a script for propranolol, and took 20mg 1 hour and 1/2, and another 20mg before my presentation. I went up (I was so nervous I didn't sleep at all the night before) and absolutely killed it. I felt so comfortable in front of the stage. It changed my life.

November 28, 2012 7:07 PM
Review by bigbear11 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: Since I had my child 3 years ago my anxiety manifests as migraines with aura. I have had rosacea most of my life and get laser treatments to keep it under control. I started experiencing migraines every month about 3 days before my cycle, neck cracking and general discomfort. I decided enough was enough and to actually try taking something. My doctor gave me 80 mg Inderal LA and the first month was really hard. I was tired 6 hours after I took it for about 2 hours to the point that I could hardly type or compose a thought at work. Now after 2 months, I feel great. I don't get upset over little things, I can think without hundreds of thoughts and this has worked so much better than Buspar, Zoloft or 5HTP for me. I recommend giving it a try.

November 14, 2012 9:42 AM
Review by Jan from Holland: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Today I had a presentation in front of 20 directors of different companies in the Netherlands. Two hours in advance I took 20mg of propranolol. It all went very well, and I wasn't nervous at all. This medicine is great for me and changed my life completely.

October 25, 2012 1:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: So far so good..thrilled to be feeling human again. Only one migraine in the past month vs. the NASTY 3-4/week minimum that were taking over my life. Side effects: first couple days, blood pressure and pulse dropped too low, but have normalized to normal-low range. Now insomnia and nightmares are the biggest problems. I read that propranolol reduces melatonin production, am hopeful taking a small 1/2-1mg dose a couple hours before bed will help. Note:I don't recommend taking any more than this! A few months ago, I couldn't figure out why I was so tired--my mom suggested I stop taking the 3mg I had been taking right before bed--magically I was no longer falling asleep at work.

October 22, 2012 4:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Absolute miracle - I cannot believe it. I take only 10-20 mg as needed, and it basically shuts off the fight or flight response. Those sudden adrenaline bursts followed by total fear and panic just no longer materialize. In fact your entire body will probably thank you for the stress relief. Propanolol has given me tremendous confidence with virtually no side effects. This coming from someone who has thought it might be better to get hit by a bus than have to attend weekly staff meetings. More effective than alprazolam and without the side effects, from my experience. Doctors need to look at propranolol as first line treatment for anxiety!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 20, 2012 3:07 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: I have had migraines since I was a young child. They have gotten worse as the years have gone by (I'm 37). I would be completely debilitated the entire week I was menstruating with several other less severe migraines throughout the month. I tried all the triptans, and ended up with horrible rebound migraines. I tried Topamax and it made my headaches worse (and the side effects were truly terrible). Propranolol has been a huge lifesaver. It hasn't completely erased my headaches, but I get much fewer during the month and my menstrual migraine is manageable--not completely debilitating. My only complaint: my heart rate doesn't get high enough to exercise aggressively. But it's worth it to not have the out-of-control migraines.

October 11, 2012 12:03 AM
Review by januaryk23 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Anxiety: My psychiatrist prescribed me this medication almost 2 days ago for anxiety and it's physical effects on my body; I feel a difference already; my heart isn't racing nor am I shaking as much; makes me tired though.

September 30, 2012 1:41 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

propranolol for Mitral Valve Prolapse: It works great. Haven't had any of the side effects. Helps my prolapse and migraines.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 13, 2012 10:14 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propranolol for Panic Disorder: This medicine is great at preventing the physical symptoms of panic attacks which are my biggest concern. At 10mg, it keeps my heart rate at a tolerable level and I don't shake or feel nauseous. However, if I take it and don't experience any stress it completely wipes me out and makes me feel like I just want to sleep all day.

August 31, 2012 9:48 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Propranolol was a game changer for me. At the age of 37, I suddenly began to have panic attacks during presentations to management. These attacks could have been a career ender for me. Luckily my doctor prescribed me 10Mg and I only take it before a presentation or interview etc. I now feel totally relaxed and in command of the situation. I keep some with me at work, so I have if needed. It's funny because I now get compliments on my poise and delivery! Also, the fact that I no longer have these attacks reduces my anxiety level, and therefore I may be able to step away from taking in the future. Performance anxiety is more common than people think, so don't let it hold you back.

August 17, 2012 4:23 PM
Review by abbbbeyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: I suffered from migraines terribly, I'm only 15 now and I got them almost everyday and I got put on propanolol and it was perfect! I only had migraines a couple times a month, however a while after using it it didn't work so I stopped using it all together and got put on Pizofen (or something like that). I am off medication at the moment but I get headaches very easily (like waking up with curtains open so I'm in bright light. It doesn't even have to be sunny). I think I may start taking propranolol again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 14, 2012 5:53 AM
Review by Bulldogmom (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: I have been taking propanalol 30mg daily to aid in migraine prevention and hypertension. I love the fact that it has greatly helped with the headaches and blood pressure, but I am having great difficulty with some side effects. My pulse rate used to run around 90-100 and has dropped to 45-49 making me extremely lethargic ready to pass out at any time, even sitting. I have also noticed my feet swelling at night and this is definitely new. I have never had issues with my feet swelling before I started this medication. I am a very active person and working out on the treadmill I can't get my heart rate over 100. I think we need to decrease the dosage even more. Got a call out to the Doctor.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 19, 2012 5:01 PM
Review by MckinseyGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: To say this is an excellent medicine would be an understatement. This is a miracle. Unfortunately it took me 13 years to realize my problem and I sadly look back to all those glorious moments that I missed. Being a consultant, we live on making presentations to our clients. This medicine has saved my career. Just one 20 mg pill about an hour before the big presentation and I can absolutely rock the presentation. I always had the skills and knowledge but never had a clear solid voice. It always seemed shaky and I always seemed nervous. Not any longer. A big thank you to who ever discovered this.

July 14, 2012 7:27 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

propranolol for Panic Disorder: Inderal is a really great alternative to benzodiazepines for anxiety and panic attacks. I have generalized anxiety disorder and am prone to having panic attacks, especially in high stress situations that I can't get out of right away. I am prescribed 20mg to take as needed, up to three times a day. When I have my panic attacks, I fear that I might have a heart attack or some bad heart problem because my panic makes my heart pound so hard and fast. Inderal is a beta blocker that blocks adrenaline, so when I take it, my heart slows down a little and doesn't feel as though it is pounding in my chest. It doesn't remove my panic completely but it prevents my anxiety and worries from building. I like Inderal because it is safe and not addictive.

June 19, 2012 10:46 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: I'm 15 and have been getting bad migraines for about a year. I have been taking Inderal for a few weeks. I have felt car sick for almost the entire time I've been on this medication, I have been really emotional, and have not had an appetite, and been very dizzy and am still getting headaches.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 5, 2012 3:24 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Inderal (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: Didn't work for me. No immediate side effects, but after a few days was really emotional, almost crying. Was not okay with that so I stopped.

June 1, 2012 8:34 PM
Review by happymummy: User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: After years of suffering almost daily, feeling like a bad mother because my girls spent so much time looking after me and going to several doctors I was given Propranolol and have had weeks of being pain free, which is the greatest feeling ever.

May 24, 2012 2:16 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I am 25 year old boy with long history of severe anxiety and panic attack during social activities specially presentation. I used to blush like tomato, speak with stressful voice and my heart pounding like it wants to explode and sometimes I could not finish my presentation because I wasn't able to talk anymore. A dreadful nightmare. Until I knew about this medicine and it changed my life. This lovely little red pill eliminates most of physical symptoms of anxiety like racing heart beat, shaky hands, sweating, stressful voice and I use 40 mg 2 hours before my presentation and it works great. About side effects, sometimes I have a little headache but its not a big deal.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 1, 2012 5:49 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Everyday I felt as if an elephant was sitting on my chest and I was gasping for air. I treated this as asthma when I was actually hyperventilating- I felt like my body was out of my control. After a visit to the ER for hyperventilating, I was given this medicine. My life changed. Before, I had panic attacks just thinking about breakfast, but now it seams as though life is so much easier. I can breathe and I feel well, where as before I felt just a constant struggle. In my case, the physical symptoms of anxiety where ruining my life and I felt a constant hyperventilation. With the symptoms gone, I can now really experience things.

April 20, 2012 1:21 AM
Review by OLIVEU: User Rating:

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: This was great for a preventative, I really love this medication- but I'm always so incredibly tired and fatigued. I recently started a morning boot camp at work and am unable to finish a few minutes worth of exercise without muscles cramping up or my endurance just plummeting and I'm wiped out for the rest of the day. After some research, I switched over to a cocktail of feverfew, magnesium, and riboflavin and will see how this works out. I've been off of the Inderal for 5 days and have a bad headache today, but I'm not tired for the first time in months!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2012 5:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: Decreased the intensity of the headaches but it was the Propranolol LA that reduced the frequency of attacks from 12 to 15 a month to only one or two. Under my doctors direction I take an additional 60 mg LA propranolol when I feel the onset of a migraine. I usually feel relief within 20-30 minutes and have not had more than 2 full blown migraines per year for the last couple of years. It has been a world of difference.

March 31, 2012 6:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Panic Disorder: Have tried other medications, such as tricyclic antidepressants. Propranolol helped the most. Without it there is an uncomfortable feeling.

March 13, 2012 8:34 AM
Review by peter3:

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: I have a very high pressure job and recently been experiencing high stress and anxiety which has built slowly up to a full panic attack. My doctor prescribed propranolol and its really helped me to put things in perspective.

February 28, 2012 1:52 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propranolol for Migraine Prevention: I have lived years with daily headaches, and migraines often. Migraines would be so bad, that even affected my vision at times. I was always hesitant about daily medications for migraines, but it seemed like I was practically eating over the counter migraine relief medications. Neurologist had me try propranonol, and I would highly recommend this medicine! It has given me back my life.

February 26, 2012 4:02 PM

propranolol for Performance Anxiety: Amazing. I suffer irrational anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder over more panic attacks. This worked perfectly. It even helped my ADD.

February 19, 2012 3:36 AM