User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 3 medications used in the treatment of Benign Essential Tremor.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Benign Essential Tremor

"I started off on 10 mg twice daily, almost 2 years ago, went to neuro for dizziness and migraines and tremors worse. I slowly upped the dosage to 80 mg and the tremors were even worse. Dropped back down to old dosage tremors still bad. Dizziness and migraines still bad, tried 4 diff meds for migraines allergic to all 4. Now along with all that I have started stumbling, toe will catch on floor. I always try to walk near something to catch myself or hold onto so I don't fall. I am only 43 but feel 80."

jebekarue (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 1, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "I started experiencing severe tremors as a side effect of other meds. At first I could not brush my teeth, then I had problems typing, next I could not feed myself or even hold a cup of coffee, finally I had bouts of tremors so bad that I could not even walk. I finally ended up seeing a neurologist who once he saw the problem and the severity he immediately prescribed Inderal. Within a week virtually all of my tremors had stopped and I was immensely relieved. I experienced no side effects at all. I have been on them for 7 years now and I only slightly shake if get really tired or drink too much coffee. All in all - I would highly recommend this medication for anyone with severe tremors."

Amgdala (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2015

"This is a miracle for my essential tremor. It effectively mitigates the tremors in all parts of the body. It used to be debilitating to face stressful situations at work or socially, as my 'shakes' would rear their ugly head in my voice and in any movement. Afterwards, the nervousness is still there, but the tremor is gone. 40mg 2x daily."

rosstex (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 14, 2014

Inderal (propranolol): "I have benign tremors and hypertension. I was taking one Inderol LA 60mg daily for the hypertension. I went to an neurologist about the tremors and he asked my cardiologist to change me to one in the morning and two at night. That was about 5 years ago. It has been a great help for the tremors and my BP is awesome! [e.g., 120/75] Now after so long I have developed a tolerance. My docs think more per day will make my blood pressure too low. If I am really diligent about taking it the tremors are minimal."

Inderol LA user - long time1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2014

"Have been taking Inderal LA for years for Essential Tremor. Originally started on immedate release tablets (40mg, Twice Daily) and switched to long acting (120mg, Once Daily). Stops tremor of hands, voice, neck. Without taking medication, tremor can be felt through abdomen and into legs."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2013

Inderal (propranolol): "My tremors were getting worse and worse so I went to my Doctor. She thought I had Parkinson's and referred me to a neurologist. The appointment came through about 4 months later. The Neurologist diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Half Inderal 80g once a day. After taking the meds I felt so much better, I still get the shakes but nowhere near so bad. My muscles are stiff though and it's causing me problems walking far and my neck and shoulders hurt too. I'll have to ask whether Inderal is the cause at my next appointment. All in all it's been great, I especially notice the difference when cooking or eating a meal or drinking from a glass, I don't spill as much now and it's less embarrassing when in a restaurant."

Britanichris (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines."

BobbieH (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2013

Inderal (propranolol): "I have had good luck with this medicine but as I age it appears to be less effective, or it may be that my tremors are getting worse and the dosage needs to be increased. I have tried an increase in the medication and have become very sluggish. All in all it is working rather well and the cost is low."

Mycocotoo February 26, 2013

"I have taken Propranolol to treat Benign Esstential Tremors for over 20 years now. I finally saw my PCP when not only my hands would shake but, under stressful situations, my head began shaking. He prescribed 40mg once daily. Twenty-some years later, I am still on the same dose - though I am just beginning to realize I need to increase the dose as the tremors are rearing their ugly heads again on occasion. The only side effect I am aware of is that I had less energy and, in the beginning, I recall a weight gain of about 20 lbs. If memory is affected adversely, I don't recall. Haha!"

BarbaraFitzMe February 10, 2013

"Propranolol is a miracle for me. Not only does it stop my tremor, which had made writing almost impossible, but it also is the medicine of choice for my Premature Atrial Contraction which caused heart palpitations. I'm only on 80 mg, but it's enough to allow me to do my work and write neat enough to be read. My dad who is 75 is on a higher dose and his tremor is quite noticeable even with the medicine. I'm not looking forward to getting older with this tremor."

Anonymous February 9, 2012

Inderal (propranolol): "Inderal LA is very very effective. I have bad tremors and have see neurologist and family physician. Starting dosage is low then work up. I take Inderal LA 160 mg once daily. Sometimes during the day I must also take a Xanax once or twice to help. But by far the Inderal was the most effective drug I have every taken for tremors."

Anonymous November 21, 2011

"It did help my tremors quite a bit. I have been on it for 16 years, however, because of extra stress, I am trying something in the same family, Atenolol. Don't know if will help any more than propanolol has helped."

kmcbride21 October 13, 2011

"Helped control my tremors immediately. Tremors were so bad my whole body would shake and had bad muscle cramps. Seemed to lose a bit of its effectiveness after a few months but still way better than before. I'm on Levetiracetam as well for epilepsy which can be a roller coaster ride sometimes when it wears off."

Anonymous July 22, 2011

"Been dealing with Essential Tremor for several years, and finally talked to my doctor about it. Started propranolol a week ago and within a day or so the tremors were all but gone, and I've noticed no side effects at all. I could barely write my name before, now I'm rock steady. No more embarrassing tremors!"

Dave61 July 22, 2011

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My tremors in my right hand were getting so bad I could hardly write my name. Stress would make the tremors even worse. Within 1 day of starting 80mg Propranolol the tremors had disappeared. It has been a huge benefit to my quality of life. I have been taking it daily for 6 months now and the tremors are now very minor in the worst case such as extreme stress."

Anonymous July 1, 2011

Inderal (propranolol): "Propranolol has given me the best tremor control with the least amount of side effects. I tried 4 other medications before my new neurologist suggested this. It's changed my life. No need to increase after 6 months. Some orthostatic hypotension has been an problem, but it seems to be due to mixing this with other medications required for my other health issues."

AnnaMKyle June 22, 2011

Inderal (propranolol): "I had struggled with Benign Essential Tremor for about 7 years (post-trauma), with shaky hands, stuttered speech, etc. For years I was given Valium or Xanax to treat it. In an effort to make a career change, I asked my doctor to find a non-narcotic solution. In short, after seeing a neurologist I was prescribed propranolol and I'm free of almost all symptoms with less side effects and the negative stigma of being prescribed a benzo."

Anonymous February 11, 2010

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has completely changed my life. I am basically tremor free, and have been on the medicine for over 6 years now. My shaking was completely uncontrollable prior to the medicine and I can definitely tell within a half a day if I forget to take it. Lately I am noticing dizzy and light headedness, I normally have low Blood Pressure and am wondering if it has dropped too low now."

Anonymous November 21, 2009

Inderal (propranolol): "My doctor had me on a regular dose of Inderal, and Valium as a back up if needed. This was working fine. When I went in for my annual visit and said everything was as usual, no better but no worse, she changed me to primidone. I am on my 3rd month of this and feel like a basketcase. Vertigo, stomach problems, vision problems, memory problems. "

shakey head September 7, 2009

"Aside from a slight decrease in circulation, cold feet/hands occasionally... Propranolol has significantly enhanced my quality of life."

Anonymous February 18, 2009

Inderal (propranolol): "It worked great in the beginning, but within a few months lost its effectiveness, and I needed more and more to get the same effect. I also felt like I was addicted to it. It was the first thing I went for in the morning."

shaky hands January 30, 2009

"It improve my life a 100%."

daniamark May 11, 2008