User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by ADC1325:

Inderal (propranolol): Have been taking for over 25 years. Very good control of my migraines.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Jenipeni (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on the Propanolol for about 4 months and it has done miracles with my migraines. I have only had one aura in that time. The problem is that I have gained 20 pounds without making any changes to my diet or exercise routine. I wish that the medicine didn't have the unwelcome weight gain side affect.

July 24, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by NorCalFemale (taken for less than 1 month):

My experience, while only 2 days so far, has been life changing. I have had migraines for 16 years. Now at age 32, they seem to have only gotten progressively worse. I have resisted daily medication for many many years, feeling that it would somehow mean that I've given in to my headaches and went against my idea of being a healthy, vibrant person. However, after recently having a migraine for 30 consecutive days I realized that migraines had come to control me more than a daily medication ever could. Vacations, my career, my relationships were being threatened. The day I took prop, my 30 day migraine went away within just hours, and has since stayed away! I feel great! Side effects: drowsy, slightly spacey, serene, peaceful, tired.

June 19, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Trying something else:

Inderal (propranolol): I found immense relief with Inderal, on just 10mg every morning and night....it was like a miracle as preventative and I also have found it dulls a migraine if one happens to break through, by taking an extra one. I had been waking up with a bad headache/migraine every day, which lasted all day. Codeine was my only vague relief in mega doses. My only complaint is that since commencing Inderal I have gained 10kg and no dieting seems to help! All this in only 12 months. The other side effects have been an increase to my allergy intolerance to certain foods ie chocolate and a heightened problem with low blood sugar. So, the doctor has just commenced me on Topamax instead 25mg every morning and night. Will report how this compares!

May 29, 2014 5:29 AM

Review by CGRAHAM00:

I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these.

January 14, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by DanaLM:

Inderal (propranolol): I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage.

January 14, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by Misha13 (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal (propranolol): I started taking Inderal to help with migraines. I still get headaches almost daily but they aren't migraine-quality and can be managed with Ibuprofen. Negatives: sleep disturbances, feet are ALWAYS freezing, and I'm experiencing frequent orthostatic hypotension. I had normal-to-low BP when starting this med so I don't think it's the right med for my body, since it lowers BP. I like not having migraines but can't exercise or live life if I'm always dizzy and weak.

November 12, 2013 11:08 AM

Review by The Man In The Back (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had experienced stress-induced migraines from work for years... truly agonizing... Once I discovered beta-blockers, I studied them for quite a while, and over time I correlated the migraines to a surge of catecholamines resulting from stressors acting on the fight or flight response mechanism, which operates via catecholamine release in the brain. Bottom line, 20 - 40 mg a day has completely eradicated the migraines.

November 5, 2013 12:46 PM

Review by gwen2295 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have suffered from panic attacks since the age of 13. My doctor prescribed propranolol on an as needed basis for this and it helped tremendously. I usually have severe periods of Irritable Bowel Syndrome during my panic attacks, which can lead to having to use the restroom over 10 times a day. It's painful, makes eating impossible, is embarrassing, and is huge nuisance to deal with in public. Propranolol completely eradicates the physical manifestations of my panic attacks. The IBS is eliminated, I don't cry excessively, I don't get extremely hot or cold, I can breathe normally, and I am able to rationally address the problem at hand.

October 12, 2013 7:16 PM

Review by KC18:

InnoPran XL (propranolol): The only high blood pressure medicine that really helped, BUT due to the price going off the charts, and no insurance, I've had to take a different medicine and suffer with headaches.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2013 10:04 AM

Review by Autumn_Skies:

When I was 16 years old I had what most people would have thought would be a stroke. My entire right side was numb. I was slurring my words and my lip was dropping and a terrible terrible migraine. And I was diagnosed with having complex migraines. I'm 17 now and I had another "episode" in May. And just recently I had another this month. But since I have been on this medication I have had little to no headaches unless I forget to take it for a couple days, but propranolol saved my life. If I continue to have these episodes then we will know that it's more than just a migraine and we are going to have to see a neurologist. I have had 2 CAT scans that showed no tumors but my dad had brain tumors that were small. Wish me luck!

July 2, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by JDB13:

Went to the Dr. for arrhythmia and vertigo. By the end of the week I was slurring my words and they thought I may have had a stroke. All test came back negative. I never had a migraine headache but after the age of 40 I had what my Dr. called silent migraines. There is a family history of migraines. The neurologist put me on propranolol to help with the dizziness and vertigo about a week ago. Starting today I am on 160 MG. It seems to be helping at times. The problem is I have always had BP of 110/70 it dropped this week to 93/60. They said not to be concerned.

June 24, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol): I've battled migraines since I was 14 and was diagnosed with PMDD. 10 to 15 days out of the month I get crippling migranes. I've tried numerous things and nothing has really helped. I've been on Inderal for a couple days now along with Norco and still have what I would consider a fairly bad headache. I'm still seeing the aura and occasional star flashes in my eyes. I'm hoping something changes here soon. I will say last night was my first night since I've had my son, I slept a full 6 hours straight.

June 15, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by katekore:

I have been on propranolol since mid-January 2013. If I remember correctly, it began working within a few weeks. I am on 80mg (can't remember if I worked up to that or not, was in rehab at the time so not everything is crystal clear) and have found that my daily headaches have pretty much completely disappeared. I read that the normal dose is between 80 and 240mg, but I obviously want to be on as little as possible, especially considering possible side effects. But 80mg works for me. Rarely I get one and ibuprofen is enough to relieve it. This medicine was truly life-changing for me. I have had chronic headaches from the age of 9! Point being, if you are considering this medication to help prevent headaches, I highly recommend you try it.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2013 2:33 AM

Review by cmclien (taken for less than 1 month):

Put me on this for chronic daily headaches (some migraine, some not). It has been two weeks and the headaches which I normally get in the morning are fleeting now and go away on their own which they never did before. Start low and go slow advised so I am taking 20mg a day that I divide up. I am very sensitive to medicines, the side effects for me are middle of the night insomnia which I'm hoping to fix by taking less at night. Stomach upset which it helps to take with food and I increased my Prilosec dose. A little lethargic, dry eyes. Pros that I wasn't counting on is it has helped my TMJD, I feel much calmer during the day (have some Social Anxiety) and my overactive bladder is calmer too.

May 14, 2013 9:51 AM

Review by Rana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Inderal (propranolol): I have been suffering of migraine-tension headaches for more than two years now. I tried paracetamol, NSAIDs all not effective, until my doctor prescribed me on beta blockers "propranolol" Inderal 20mg twice a day, and my headache really improved after 2-3 months. Thanks!

May 1, 2013 1:01 PM

Review by my name is rd geeta sharma... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am suffering from migraine for eight years. I went to the doctor four years back and he prescribed me amitriptyline, cinnarizine and sumatriptan though they worked but were not amazing. Amitriptyline used to make me sleep for hours and it affected my daily life. I told my doctor about this and he finally gave me propranolol and it has worked. Now I have minor headache and the frequency has reduced drastically. I am very happy as I can concentrate on other things.

April 29, 2013 9:47 AM

Review by RobertaJ (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Inderal (propranolol): I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines.

April 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by crider81812 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am almost 30 and have been getting migraines since I was junior high age and my father also suffers from migraines. I have been in the ER every other month at least for the pain. I had a migraine that lasted 13 days straight and couldn't take it anymore. I take amitriptyline every night for several years now for prevention but wasn't on anything for the onset pain of a migraine even though the amitriptyline was working amazing. I still take it now with the Propranolol twice a day for a couple of weeks now and have only gotten a couple of small headaches and a few side effects. I am very happy with it.

February 19, 2013 4:55 AM

Review by sugar58:

After trying a ton of different medications and having no luck, my doctor finally decided to put me on propranolol. After trying so many meds with no luck, I didn't have much hope. I have been on this medication for 3 days now and I am ECSTATIC! I am taking 40mg twice a day (once in morning and once at night). I used to wake up with headaches and go to bed with headaches and for these 3 days I have not had ANY pain! I usually have headaches at least 4-5 days a week and for me to wake up with no pain and go to bed with no pain feels so amazing. I didn't get any dizziness or any side effects at all so far. Although it's only been 3 days so far, I can tell it's made a huge difference already.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Flag59:

After quitting drinking about a year ago I developed severe migraine headaches. The Propranolol LA 160MG caps have worked very well and I seldom get migraines. I decided because of cost and the fact I was having so few headaches, to try and wean myself from this medication, within 2 days the headaches were back. So I'm back on the Propranolol and back to being headache free most of the time.

January 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Review by Natisly:

I have read most of the posts, I am so glad this medicine has helped so many but unfortunately I am one if the few that it did the opposite. I have been on Topamax, a bit effective but I created a fast resistance to it and the constant "idiot" mode, fatige, tingling and memory loss made me decide to ask him to change me to something else. Since you can't be taken off Topamax cold turkey I was advised to take 50mg and one 60mg of propranolol, the first 5 minutes it felt like I had taken a good 5 shots of tequila without the gagging. After that I left as if someone had dropped a bucket of ice water on me and then a nasty migraine...4 hours later I'm without a breath barely feeling my legs.

January 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Review by Samgal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have suffered from chronic migraines for about 10 years now. I have literally tried EVERYTHING both prescription and holistic. Propanolol was the first medication I found that gave me relief, I went from having migraines on a daily basis to only having about one a week. And the more time that passes, the less intense the migraines seem to be. I take 80mg ER once daily.

December 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been suffering from migraines since the age of 10 (I'm now 18). I used to get at least 4 migraine's a week with severe vomiting and couldn't move out of bed until the next day. I have tried lots of tablets; pizotifen, atenolol are just a few. I began propranolol 2 months ago starting at 60mg, I was still getting a migraine a week, but no vomiting. And constant eye pain all day everyday. Also suffering from poor circulation, severe dry mouth and being unable to sleep at night. The doctor has now put me on 160mg 1 a day and haven't had a migraine since, although still struggling with the side effects! And now been referred to a migraine specialist which will hopefully give me an answer as to why I'm getting them. Would definitely recommend!

December 8, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by bigbear11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Since I had my child 3 years ago my anxiety manifests as migraines with aura. I have had rosacea most of my life and get laser treatments to keep it under control. I started experiencing migraines every month about 3 days before my cycle, neck cracking and general discomfort. I decided enough was enough and to actually try taking something. My doctor gave me 80 mg Inderal LA and the first month was really hard. I was tired 6 hours after I took it for about 2 hours to the point that I could hardly type or compose a thought at work. Now after 2 months, I feel great. I don't get upset over little things, I can think without hundreds of thoughts and this has worked so much better than Buspar, Zoloft or 5HTP for me. I recommend giving it a try.

November 14, 2012 9:42 AM