Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Mbd70 (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol): Took Inderal La for a very short time. In the time I was on it I never had a migraine, unfortunately on average I could sleep 7-8 hours a night but being on this medication I was lucky to get 4.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by Gsoglenn (taken for 10 years or more):

My doctor prescribed propranolol explaining how he'd like to try to prevent the migraine in the first place, rather than treating it after it arrived. I explained I'd prefer that as well. Propranolol was prescribed, 1 tablet twice daily. After trying the 60 mg. tablets for three months, I reported only having 6 migraines during that time period. He thereby increased the strength to 80 mg. and I currently experience an average of 2 migraines a year! And it's so inexpensive!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2015 2:53 PM

Review by Jillzplace:

Inderal (propranolol): Have been taking for over 20 years, works good for getting less migraines and even better, helps my tremors. However, when I switched to try the generic, it did neither. Now my insurance wants to make me pay a fee for not being able to use the generic. A fee that equals the list price of the medicine without insurance. I can not afford to go from 100.00 copay for a 3 month supply to 1300.00 for the same amount.

January 29, 2015 11:37 AM

Review by kikajo:

Taking propranolol has significantly changed my life. I was averaging one migraine per week. It would be a two day event with nausea and stomach issues. After starting on 80 mg, the migraines were twice a month. Now on 120 mg they occur about once per month. I am due for a medicine check in Feb. I do not know if my doctor will recommend a dose increase again, but the goal is to eliminate the migraines regularly. Missing one dose will cause a pounding, throbbing headache that may last for several hours upon taking the missed dose. This is not doubling up on the dose! There was some fatigue in the very beginning and very odd, vivid dreams at the start and again when the dosage was increased. This has allowed me to live a better life!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2015 1:29 PM

Review by javad madani London uk (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had migraine for the past 50 years, have taken tons of pain killers you can imagine how my daily life was ruined by the migraine. I was visiting my GP one day recently complaining about palpitation which I suffered for the past 2-3 months, he suggested propranolol 80 mg twice a day and then the miracle started working! As soon as I started taking propranolol both palpitation and migraine gone away! So far and I am hoping it will last for ever as I read the other comments. I am going to give a present to my GP worth at least 1000 pounds if I am headache free for a month. Finger crossed.

January 12, 2015 10:50 PM

Review by Hemo-RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've suffered with migraines as has every female in my family since my late teens. By late 20s I was searching for a prophylactic as I was using Imitrex far more than recommended (or insurance would pay for). I tried anticonvuldants, antidepressants,and calcium channel blockers but with no success until I tried propranolol. My migraines nearly disappeared for months. What a joyful and exciting time in my life to be pain free! Unfortunately, my hair began to fall out in large quantities. Bald spots were forming and my hairline receding. Not an acceptable side effect for young ladies. I hate I had to stop the propranolol but there were no other explanations for the hair loss. With new Rogaine hair I'm back to square one.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 11:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have suffered from migraines for over 20 years. I experienced about 6 or more a month. They would last 3 days in bed, vomiting with multiple trips to ER. I have been taking Propranolol for 3 years now with much success. I still sometimes experience menstrual migraines but they are less severe and controlled with Ibuprofen. In addition, I suffered from anxiety which I no longer have. I do suffer from cold feet and hands all the time and unexplained weight gain (20lbs). I would recommend this for migraine treatment, I feel I got my life back.

December 10, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by nittynat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Years and years of pain misery vomiting. Sometimes I thought I was dying. Ruined my life work life social life. Last migraine went to hospital emergency had to be given morphine as was crying for hours in pain.. my doctor then prescribed propranolol. It's been the best time ever in my adult life its just so fab to wake up pain free. Yes I'm dopey tired but rather that than that evil pain... good luck to us all on this.. only us migraine sufferers can experience this relief of a medicine that actually works.

December 3, 2014 6:28 PM

I was having horrible migraines over the last year. Finally I started talking to a neurologist. After trying a couple other things he suggested propranolol. It has been life changing! I have been on it for 3 months and have had maybe 4 headaches. I hadn't looked into the reviews before now, but I'm glad other users think there is a link between this medicine and weight gain.

October 28, 2014 3:42 PM

Review by ADC1325:

Inderal (propranolol): Have been taking for over 25 years. Very good control of my migraines.

October 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Jenipeni (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on the Propanolol for about 4 months and it has done miracles with my migraines. I have only had one aura in that time. The problem is that I have gained 20 pounds without making any changes to my diet or exercise routine. I wish that the medicine didn't have the unwelcome weight gain side affect.

July 24, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by NorCalFemale (taken for less than 1 month):

My experience, while only 2 days so far, has been life changing. I have had migraines for 16 years. Now at age 32, they seem to have only gotten progressively worse. I have resisted daily medication for many many years, feeling that it would somehow mean that I've given in to my headaches and went against my idea of being a healthy, vibrant person. However, after recently having a migraine for 30 consecutive days I realized that migraines had come to control me more than a daily medication ever could. Vacations, my career, my relationships were being threatened. The day I took prop, my 30 day migraine went away within just hours, and has since stayed away! I feel great! Side effects: drowsy, slightly spacey, serene, peaceful, tired.

June 19, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Trying something else:

Inderal (propranolol): I found immense relief with Inderal, on just 10mg every morning and night....it was like a miracle as preventative and I also have found it dulls a migraine if one happens to break through, by taking an extra one. I had been waking up with a bad headache/migraine every day, which lasted all day. Codeine was my only vague relief in mega doses. My only complaint is that since commencing Inderal I have gained 10kg and no dieting seems to help! All this in only 12 months. The other side effects have been an increase to my allergy intolerance to certain foods ie chocolate and a heightened problem with low blood sugar. So, the doctor has just commenced me on Topamax instead 25mg every morning and night. Will report how this compares!

May 29, 2014 5:29 AM

Review by CGRAHAM00:

I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these.

January 14, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by DanaLM:

Inderal (propranolol): I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage.

January 14, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by Misha13 (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal (propranolol): I started taking Inderal to help with migraines. I still get headaches almost daily but they aren't migraine-quality and can be managed with Ibuprofen. Negatives: sleep disturbances, feet are ALWAYS freezing, and I'm experiencing frequent orthostatic hypotension. I had normal-to-low BP when starting this med so I don't think it's the right med for my body, since it lowers BP. I like not having migraines but can't exercise or live life if I'm always dizzy and weak.

November 12, 2013 11:08 AM

Review by The Man In The Back (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had experienced stress-induced migraines from work for years... truly agonizing... Once I discovered beta-blockers, I studied them for quite a while, and over time I correlated the migraines to a surge of catecholamines resulting from stressors acting on the fight or flight response mechanism, which operates via catecholamine release in the brain. Bottom line, 20 - 40 mg a day has completely eradicated the migraines.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 12:46 PM

Review by gwen2295 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have suffered from panic attacks since the age of 13. My doctor prescribed propranolol on an as needed basis for this and it helped tremendously. I usually have severe periods of Irritable Bowel Syndrome during my panic attacks, which can lead to having to use the restroom over 10 times a day. It's painful, makes eating impossible, is embarrassing, and is huge nuisance to deal with in public. Propranolol completely eradicates the physical manifestations of my panic attacks. The IBS is eliminated, I don't cry excessively, I don't get extremely hot or cold, I can breathe normally, and I am able to rationally address the problem at hand.

October 12, 2013 7:16 PM

Review by KC18:

InnoPran XL (propranolol): The only high blood pressure medicine that really helped, BUT due to the price going off the charts, and no insurance, I've had to take a different medicine and suffer with headaches.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2013 10:04 AM

Review by Autumn_Skies:

When I was 16 years old I had what most people would have thought would be a stroke. My entire right side was numb. I was slurring my words and my lip was dropping and a terrible terrible migraine. And I was diagnosed with having complex migraines. I'm 17 now and I had another "episode" in May. And just recently I had another this month. But since I have been on this medication I have had little to no headaches unless I forget to take it for a couple days, but propranolol saved my life. If I continue to have these episodes then we will know that it's more than just a migraine and we are going to have to see a neurologist. I have had 2 CAT scans that showed no tumors but my dad had brain tumors that were small. Wish me luck!

July 2, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by JDB13:

Went to the Dr. for arrhythmia and vertigo. By the end of the week I was slurring my words and they thought I may have had a stroke. All test came back negative. I never had a migraine headache but after the age of 40 I had what my Dr. called silent migraines. There is a family history of migraines. The neurologist put me on propranolol to help with the dizziness and vertigo about a week ago. Starting today I am on 160 MG. It seems to be helping at times. The problem is I have always had BP of 110/70 it dropped this week to 93/60. They said not to be concerned.

June 24, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Inderal LA (propranolol): I've battled migraines since I was 14 and was diagnosed with PMDD. 10 to 15 days out of the month I get crippling migranes. I've tried numerous things and nothing has really helped. I've been on Inderal for a couple days now along with Norco and still have what I would consider a fairly bad headache. I'm still seeing the aura and occasional star flashes in my eyes. I'm hoping something changes here soon. I will say last night was my first night since I've had my son, I slept a full 6 hours straight.

June 15, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by katekore:

I have been on propranolol since mid-January 2013. If I remember correctly, it began working within a few weeks. I am on 80mg (can't remember if I worked up to that or not, was in rehab at the time so not everything is crystal clear) and have found that my daily headaches have pretty much completely disappeared. I read that the normal dose is between 80 and 240mg, but I obviously want to be on as little as possible, especially considering possible side effects. But 80mg works for me. Rarely I get one and ibuprofen is enough to relieve it. This medicine was truly life-changing for me. I have had chronic headaches from the age of 9! Point being, if you are considering this medication to help prevent headaches, I highly recommend you try it.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2013 2:33 AM

Review by cmclien (taken for less than 1 month):

Put me on this for chronic daily headaches (some migraine, some not). It has been two weeks and the headaches which I normally get in the morning are fleeting now and go away on their own which they never did before. Start low and go slow advised so I am taking 20mg a day that I divide up. I am very sensitive to medicines, the side effects for me are middle of the night insomnia which I'm hoping to fix by taking less at night. Stomach upset which it helps to take with food and I increased my Prilosec dose. A little lethargic, dry eyes. Pros that I wasn't counting on is it has helped my TMJD, I feel much calmer during the day (have some Social Anxiety) and my overactive bladder is calmer too.

May 14, 2013 9:51 AM

Review by Rana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Inderal (propranolol): I have been suffering of migraine-tension headaches for more than two years now. I tried paracetamol, NSAIDs all not effective, until my doctor prescribed me on beta blockers "propranolol" Inderal 20mg twice a day, and my headache really improved after 2-3 months. Thanks!

May 1, 2013 1:01 PM