User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

"23-year old female. I've been on Inderal (Propranolol) for about 1 year now after suffering with increasingly bad migraines for about 8 years. I was prescribed Imitrex (Sumatriptan) to treat the migraines, but that made me nauseous and didn't fix the migraines at all. After being prescribed Inderal, I was migraine free, all but for maybe one menstrual-related migraine per month, which the doctor recommended treating with 1 week pre-menstrual daily dose of ibuprofen leading up to my cycle -- which worked! So now I am 100% migraine free between 20mg each morning and night of Inderal, and 400mg daily of ibuprofen the full week before my cycle. Inderal might make you have some very vivid dreams, and cause you to feel a bit drowsy at first."

Risscro February 2, 2016

"Weight gain 27 pounds in 2-3 months"

CatTallafuss January 3, 2016

"I started taking propranolol after trying anti-seizure drugs that didn't work at all. I used immitrex for a couple of years and it was wonderful, but got less and less effective. I started with 80 mg propranolol extended release. I could tell it made a difference in the severity, but didn't completely control the migraines. I have been on 160 mg a day, once in the morning, once in the evening. Now I rarely get migraines, and very manageable when I do. Different things work for different people.This really works well for me. I had some weight gain, but I attribute it to getting my appetite back. No migraines, no nausea. Haven't gained enough to remotely think about stopping. Had weird and vivid dreams to start with, but that has stopped."

L C January 3, 2016

"I've had severe migraines since age 35. 20 days out of 30 and many unhelpful trips to ER. Even Demerol did not stop the migraine. I have been taking 80 mg of Propranolol every day since then, 31 years. The propranolol did very little for my pain. I researched and now take 400 mg of Coenzyme Q 10 and two 400 mg feverfew per day. Am headache free. I still take the propranolol because I have taken it so long I cannot safely get off it. Sleeplessness, wild dreams are common, IBS D is a problem and the worst part is the sexual side effects. ED. I wish I had know about the Co Q 10 and feverfew first."

Budiboi1469 December 3, 2015

"This drug has been wonderful! I had a feeling of being off-balance(not true vertigo, though) with my almost daily migraines. I started this medication about 9 months ago and have had only 5 migraines and they were very mild and easily managed. only negative is it does give you some fatigue. I also suffer from anxiety and this drug has helped tremendously on that front since I often ended up with tachycardia during a panic attack and this drug lowers your hear rate and stops that "fight or flight" response."

Sedoh November 30, 2015

"Effective for stopping migraine but headaches and other side effects don't make it an effective remedy, muscle pain, sleep apnea, stomach upsets even though I take omeprazole. I was much happier taking imigran when I got a migraine rather than taking these tablets, and shall be seeing my doctor to ask about other possible medication that doesn't impose on my wellbeing as much,"

Billynomates (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "I took this med once a day for 1 year. Before being prescribed this med was having migraines 25 out of 30/31 days per month. Birth control pills made the migraines worse. Could not tolerate prescription pain medication, severe vomiting. Lights and sound were not to be tolerated. Emergency Room Shots then available would not stop the migraine, still had to go to bed. Blood pressure would soar during an attack. Had to have suppositories for the vomiting. Could not keep pills down. I don't remember about weight gain; however I discontinued this medication because I developed numbness all over my body. Arms, legs, stomach, hips, private places. I worked a physical job and had many contact bruises where I didn't notice pain on item contact."

CC Carol Ann October 23, 2015

"I been having migraines so bad mainly on left side and my eye. I been back and forth to ER, first time they gave me a shot in my arm because he said I'm complaining of the back of neck. I was crying after they were sending me home, then the next day I left work to go back to ER, they ran test on my blood and everything came back fine, blood pressure was high, but this time they put me on IV and gave me Benadryl which knocked me out, then I was awaken by doctor asking how I felt then he gave me reglan thru Iv which made me jump up, couldn't lay still I was going crazy I asked what did you give me, I think he said reglan, I remember going to bathroom wanting to just lay on floor felt terrible. But felt better later to go home."

Avaiya October 16, 2015

"Chronic migraine sufferer, about 3 a month bed stricken end with severe head pain, vomiting & upset tummy 2 days out of action. I have been taking Deralin 40mg for 6 months & am migraine free except occasional menstrual migraine but this is manageable. However Deralin disturbs my sleep with awful nightmares & I have put on weight without changing diet!"

Michele de Ravel October 15, 2015

"Started taking propanol 80mg one daily, three weeks ago for migraine prevention. Zero outbreaks during that time. Have suffered twice weekly migraines for forty years so this is a great breakthrough. They do affect sleep and reduce energy levels during day (I am a manual worker) but low energy is better than a tiresome, distracting migraine."

Ayd October 9, 2015

"Didn't work, was changed from amitryptaline to propanolol and my migraines came back with a vengeance."

Crazihaze (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

"Gave me life back from migraines"

kimye October 4, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "I can't begin to describe to you the kinds of nightmares that this medication gave me. Believe me. You don't want to know about them. It DID, however, prevent a migraine that would have most certainly occurred. (It rained one day and weather changes are my biggest trigger.) Yes, this medicine worked for me in the sense that it prevented a migraine. BUT!!! I would rather treat an existing migraine than have these TERRIFYING dreams every night."

copyrightamanda (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

"Have had bad migraines for as long as I can remember. Always would wake up with bad migraines, would last for weeks on end. Tried everything then I found propranolol a year or two ago. Lifesaver I tell you !!! Never get a migraine, and if I do it's cause I forgot to take my meds. If I go a while without taking it I get very very light headed and dizzy and can't think straight. Also hallucinate (could be from my cymbalta) another thing is very vivid dreams, but that's ok I never could remember my dreams before propranolol anyways."

Taylorrrr August 26, 2015

"I have been suffering from migraines since I was 13. The older I got (I am 28 now) the more severe and frequent they became. After being on a number of medications that either didn't work or caused terrible side effects (Topomax caused short term memory loss that I still suffer with) I was finally prescribed Propranolol. What a lifesaver! For over a year I would wake up with migraines almost every day; some so sever I couldn't get out of bed for days. After being on this for only a couple of days I stopped getting migraines! I still get about one a month but after having one almost continuously for an entire year I feel like a new person! The only side effect I have experienced is very vivid dreams... But I don't mind that at all haha."

Laura Leigh August 7, 2015

"less headaches but more affected on bladder mainly@ night but not diabetic"

Anonymous June 9, 2015

Inderal LA (propranolol): "Took Inderal La for a very short time. In the time I was on it I never had a migraine, unfortunately on average I could sleep 7-8 hours a night but being on this medication I was lucky to get 4."

Mbd70 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

"My doctor prescribed propranolol explaining how he'd like to try to prevent the migraine in the first place, rather than treating it after it arrived. I explained I'd prefer that as well. Propranolol was prescribed, 1 tablet twice daily. After trying the 60 mg. tablets for three months, I reported only having 6 migraines during that time period. He thereby increased the strength to 80 mg. and I currently experience an average of 2 migraines a year! And it's so inexpensive!"

Gsoglenn (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2015

"I have been on 40mg Deralin (propranolol) for 3 years. I still get daily headaches and the occasional migraine. I find I have dizziness and vertigo, lethargy and tension whilst on it. I also have trouble exercising - because I get puffed within 2-3 mins of cardio - like almost vomiting kinda puffed!. Deralin has helped with my headaches a little, eliminated my tremor, but the biggest improvement is with anxiety. Its almost zero. I have attempted to reduce my intake because id like to get fit. But was met with overwhelming dizziness, vertigo and panic attacks within 5 days of decreasing my dose to 20mg. So its great for some things, but hard to get off. Id love to hear of something similar that has less side effects."

Nudge82 February 24, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "Have been taking for over 20 years, works good for getting less migraines and even better, helps my tremors. However, when I switched to try the generic, it did neither. Now my insurance wants to make me pay a fee for not being able to use the generic. A fee that equals the list price of the medicine without insurance. I can not afford to go from 100.00 copay for a 3 month supply to 1300.00 for the same amount."

Jillzplace January 29, 2015

"Taking propranolol has significantly changed my life. I was averaging one migraine per week. It would be a two day event with nausea and stomach issues. After starting on 80 mg, the migraines were twice a month. Now on 120 mg they occur about once per month. I am due for a medicine check in Feb. I do not know if my doctor will recommend a dose increase again, but the goal is to eliminate the migraines regularly. Missing one dose will cause a pounding, throbbing headache that may last for several hours upon taking the missed dose. This is not doubling up on the dose! There was some fatigue in the very beginning and very odd, vivid dreams at the start and again when the dosage was increased. This has allowed me to live a better life!"

kikajo January 13, 2015

"I have had migraine for the past 50 years, have taken tons of pain killers you can imagine how my daily life was ruined by the migraine. I was visiting my GP one day recently complaining about palpitation which I suffered for the past 2-3 months, he suggested propranolol 80 mg twice a day and then the miracle started working! As soon as I started taking propranolol both palpitation and migraine gone away! So far and I am hoping it will last for ever as I read the other comments. I am going to give a present to my GP worth at least 1000 pounds if I am headache free for a month. Finger crossed."

javad madani London uk (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2015

"I've suffered with migraines as has every female in my family since my late teens. By late 20s I was searching for a prophylactic as I was using Imitrex far more than recommended (or insurance would pay for). I tried anticonvuldants, antidepressants,and calcium channel blockers but with no success until I tried propranolol. My migraines nearly disappeared for months. What a joyful and exciting time in my life to be pain free! Unfortunately, my hair began to fall out in large quantities. Bald spots were forming and my hairline receding. Not an acceptable side effect for young ladies. I hate I had to stop the propranolol but there were no other explanations for the hair loss. With new Rogaine hair I'm back to square one."

Hemo-RN (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2015

"I have suffered from migraines for over 20 years. I experienced about 6 or more a month. They would last 3 days in bed, vomiting with multiple trips to ER. I have been taking Propranolol for 3 years now with much success. I still sometimes experience menstrual migraines but they are less severe and controlled with Ibuprofen. In addition, I suffered from anxiety which I no longer have. I do suffer from cold feet and hands all the time and unexplained weight gain (20lbs). I would recommend this for migraine treatment, I feel I got my life back."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2014

"Years and years of pain misery vomiting. Sometimes I thought I was dying. Ruined my life work life social life. Last migraine went to hospital emergency had to be given morphine as was crying for hours in pain.. my doctor then prescribed propranolol. It's been the best time ever in my adult life its just so fab to wake up pain free. Yes I'm dopey tired but rather that than that evil pain... good luck to us all on this.. only us migraine sufferers can experience this relief of a medicine that actually works."

nittynat (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014