User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

"Propranolol has reduced the frequency of migraines during the past 8 months that I've been on it. However, it makes me so tired and "out-of-it" that I'm lethargic...so I've put on 15 pounds and I never want to do anything! I can't stand this awful side effect. I'm 46, female, and now weigh 160. Was at 145 before propranolol. The size Large pants are getting tight. I'll be in XL soon if I stay in this medication. It doesn't help that I'm also on Lyrica since one month ago (so now I'm even MORE tired and confused!) Tried topamax in the past to prevent migraines. It did help in my 30s, but not in my 40s."

$dazedandconfused$ April 19, 2016

"Helps tremendously with preventing migraines however I have instant weight gain around the middle. I gained 20 lbs in 2 months on it and watching what I ate and exercise would not take it off. The weight was continuing to come on. I slowly weaned myself off. I took the weight off. The migraines became out of control,again and I went back on it. I've been on it 10 days and gained 5 lbs. I'm on 60 mg a day which isn't doesn't seem that much I have to find something else because of the weight issue."

Rivermama (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2016

Inderal (propranolol): "I had migraine from age of 10 to age 26 when my doctor prescribed inderal 10 mg morn and eveng. No migraines since . Now I am 72 whenever I feel there is a trigger I swallow inderal and as well. works gr8 for migraine. it has terrible side effects too.i started getting nightmares after the first month of starting inderal.to this day the night mares continue.i feel sleepy the whole day and gained weight which went out of control. i can tolerate the side effects but happy no more migraine."

mona anol March 29, 2016

"I have had 8-12 migraines per month for the past 2 years. The Imitrex 150mg that I take for them has started to lose efficacy, so I keep having these day long auras but not full blown migraines. It's very draining. My doctor recommended Propanolol ER 80mg capsules as a preventitive. I took them before bed and for the first 3 days felt pretty light headed and foggy in the morning, but that went away. But, the awful acidic, churning stomach aches did not go away. I discontinued it after 1 week because the stomach aches and worsening diarrhea were too much. And then I got a migraine the next day. I think it probably worked well for migraine prevention but the side effects were not worth it."

Robota March 27, 2016

"I started taking 10mg of propranolol about 2 months ago, I used to have around 4 severe migraines a week. I now only have 3 a month!! No bad side effects, for the first 2 weeks I did feel a little tired but other then that there was nothing."

Ilovedogs1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

"I'm 33 have been suffering migraines since the age of 5! It's a genetic thing in our family. Been on all sorts of prevention meds, attack meds, and inderal has been the best I now only get a pre menstrual migraine once every few months. I've been on this medication for years and I will never get off it. I do get tired a lot from it. But worth it over having migraines few times a week."

Jlousully (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 9, 2016

"I had a migraine for about 7 months before I even went to the doctor. I've now been taking propranolol for about 5 and a half years now and at 21 I am now almost completely migraine free. I still get migraines at times where I am highly stressed but otherwise I don't have to worry about taking sumatriptan when I have bad migraine considering it affected me badly even if it did get rid of my migraine. It doesn't have any bad side effects for me.I just take it before bedtime and no more migraines."

Mirandalynn6 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 12, 2016

"23-year old female. I've been on Inderal (Propranolol) for about 1 year now after suffering with increasingly bad migraines for about 8 years. I was prescribed Imitrex (Sumatriptan) to treat the migraines, but that made me nauseous and didn't fix the migraines at all. After being prescribed Inderal, I was migraine free, all but for maybe one menstrual-related migraine per month, which the doctor recommended treating with 1 week pre-menstrual daily dose of ibuprofen leading up to my cycle -- which worked! So now I am 100% migraine free between 20mg each morning and night of Inderal, and 400mg daily of ibuprofen the full week before my cycle. Inderal might make you have some very vivid dreams, and cause you to feel a bit drowsy at first."

Risscro February 2, 2016

"Weight gain 27 pounds in 2-3 months"

CatTallafuss January 3, 2016

"I started taking propranolol after trying anti-seizure drugs that didn't work at all. I used immitrex for a couple of years and it was wonderful, but got less and less effective. I started with 80 mg propranolol extended release. I could tell it made a difference in the severity, but didn't completely control the migraines. I have been on 160 mg a day, once in the morning, once in the evening. Now I rarely get migraines, and very manageable when I do. Different things work for different people.This really works well for me. I had some weight gain, but I attribute it to getting my appetite back. No migraines, no nausea. Haven't gained enough to remotely think about stopping. Had weird and vivid dreams to start with, but that has stopped."

L C January 3, 2016

"I've had severe migraines since age 35. 20 days out of 30 and many unhelpful trips to ER. Even Demerol did not stop the migraine. I have been taking 80 mg of Propranolol every day since then, 31 years. The propranolol did very little for my pain. I researched and now take 400 mg of Coenzyme Q 10 and two 400 mg feverfew per day. Am headache free. I still take the propranolol because I have taken it so long I cannot safely get off it. Sleeplessness, wild dreams are common, IBS D is a problem and the worst part is the sexual side effects. ED. I wish I had know about the Co Q 10 and feverfew first."

Budiboi1469 December 3, 2015

"This drug has been wonderful! I had a feeling of being off-balance(not true vertigo, though) with my almost daily migraines. I started this medication about 9 months ago and have had only 5 migraines and they were very mild and easily managed. only negative is it does give you some fatigue. I also suffer from anxiety and this drug has helped tremendously on that front since I often ended up with tachycardia during a panic attack and this drug lowers your hear rate and stops that "fight or flight" response."

Sedoh November 30, 2015

"Effective for stopping migraine but headaches and other side effects don't make it an effective remedy, muscle pain, sleep apnea, stomach upsets even though I take omeprazole. I was much happier taking imigran when I got a migraine rather than taking these tablets, and shall be seeing my doctor to ask about other possible medication that doesn't impose on my wellbeing as much,"

Billynomates (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "I took this med once a day for 1 year. Before being prescribed this med was having migraines 25 out of 30/31 days per month. Birth control pills made the migraines worse. Could not tolerate prescription pain medication, severe vomiting. Lights and sound were not to be tolerated. Emergency Room Shots then available would not stop the migraine, still had to go to bed. Blood pressure would soar during an attack. Had to have suppositories for the vomiting. Could not keep pills down. I don't remember about weight gain; however I discontinued this medication because I developed numbness all over my body. Arms, legs, stomach, hips, private places. I worked a physical job and had many contact bruises where I didn't notice pain on item contact."

CC Carol Ann October 23, 2015

"I been having migraines so bad mainly on left side and my eye. I been back and forth to ER, first time they gave me a shot in my arm because he said I'm complaining of the back of neck. I was crying after they were sending me home, then the next day I left work to go back to ER, they ran test on my blood and everything came back fine, blood pressure was high, but this time they put me on IV and gave me Benadryl which knocked me out, then I was awaken by doctor asking how I felt then he gave me reglan thru Iv which made me jump up, couldn't lay still I was going crazy I asked what did you give me, I think he said reglan, I remember going to bathroom wanting to just lay on floor felt terrible. But felt better later to go home."

Avaiya October 16, 2015

"Chronic migraine sufferer, about 3 a month bed stricken end with severe head pain, vomiting & upset tummy 2 days out of action. I have been taking Deralin 40mg for 6 months & am migraine free except occasional menstrual migraine but this is manageable. However Deralin disturbs my sleep with awful nightmares & I have put on weight without changing diet!"

Michele de Ravel October 15, 2015

"Started taking propanol 80mg one daily, three weeks ago for migraine prevention. Zero outbreaks during that time. Have suffered twice weekly migraines for forty years so this is a great breakthrough. They do affect sleep and reduce energy levels during day (I am a manual worker) but low energy is better than a tiresome, distracting migraine."

Ayd October 9, 2015

"Didn't work, was changed from amitryptaline to propanolol and my migraines came back with a vengeance."

Crazihaze (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

"Gave me life back from migraines"

kimye October 4, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "I can't begin to describe to you the kinds of nightmares that this medication gave me. Believe me. You don't want to know about them. It DID, however, prevent a migraine that would have most certainly occurred. (It rained one day and weather changes are my biggest trigger.) Yes, this medicine worked for me in the sense that it prevented a migraine. BUT!!! I would rather treat an existing migraine than have these TERRIFYING dreams every night."

copyrightamanda (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

"Have had bad migraines for as long as I can remember. Always would wake up with bad migraines, would last for weeks on end. Tried everything then I found propranolol a year or two ago. Lifesaver I tell you !!! Never get a migraine, and if I do it's cause I forgot to take my meds. If I go a while without taking it I get very very light headed and dizzy and can't think straight. Also hallucinate (could be from my cymbalta) another thing is very vivid dreams, but that's ok I never could remember my dreams before propranolol anyways."

Taylorrrr August 26, 2015

"I have been suffering from migraines since I was 13. The older I got (I am 28 now) the more severe and frequent they became. After being on a number of medications that either didn't work or caused terrible side effects (Topomax caused short term memory loss that I still suffer with) I was finally prescribed Propranolol. What a lifesaver! For over a year I would wake up with migraines almost every day; some so sever I couldn't get out of bed for days. After being on this for only a couple of days I stopped getting migraines! I still get about one a month but after having one almost continuously for an entire year I feel like a new person! The only side effect I have experienced is very vivid dreams... But I don't mind that at all haha."

Laura Leigh August 7, 2015

"less headaches but more affected on bladder mainly@ night but not diabetic"

Anonymous June 9, 2015

Inderal LA (propranolol): "Took Inderal La for a very short time. In the time I was on it I never had a migraine, unfortunately on average I could sleep 7-8 hours a night but being on this medication I was lucky to get 4."

Mbd70 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

"My doctor prescribed propranolol explaining how he'd like to try to prevent the migraine in the first place, rather than treating it after it arrived. I explained I'd prefer that as well. Propranolol was prescribed, 1 tablet twice daily. After trying the 60 mg. tablets for three months, I reported only having 6 migraines during that time period. He thereby increased the strength to 80 mg. and I currently experience an average of 2 migraines a year! And it's so inexpensive!"

Gsoglenn (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2015