User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

"I have been suffering from migraines since I was 13. The older I got (I am 28 now) the more severe and frequent they became. After being on a number of medications that either didn't work or caused terrible side effects (Topomax caused short term memory loss that I still suffer with) I was finally prescribed Propranolol. What a lifesaver! For over a year I would wake up with migraines almost every day; some so sever I couldn't get out of bed for days. After being on this for only a couple of days I stopped getting migraines! I still get about one a month but after having one almost continuously for an entire year I feel like a new person! The only side effect I have experienced is very vivid dreams... But I don't mind that at all haha."

Laura Leigh August 7, 2015

"less headaches but more affected on bladder mainly@ night but not diabetic"

Anonymous June 9, 2015

Inderal LA (propranolol): "Took Inderal La for a very short time. In the time I was on it I never had a migraine, unfortunately on average I could sleep 7-8 hours a night but being on this medication I was lucky to get 4."

Mbd70 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

"My doctor prescribed propranolol explaining how he'd like to try to prevent the migraine in the first place, rather than treating it after it arrived. I explained I'd prefer that as well. Propranolol was prescribed, 1 tablet twice daily. After trying the 60 mg. tablets for three months, I reported only having 6 migraines during that time period. He thereby increased the strength to 80 mg. and I currently experience an average of 2 migraines a year! And it's so inexpensive!"

Gsoglenn (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2015

"I have been on 40mg Deralin (propranolol) for 3 years. I still get daily headaches and the occasional migraine. I find I have dizziness and vertigo, lethargy and tension whilst on it. I also have trouble exercising - because I get puffed within 2-3 mins of cardio - like almost vomiting kinda puffed!. Deralin has helped with my headaches a little, eliminated my tremor, but the biggest improvement is with anxiety. Its almost zero. I have attempted to reduce my intake because id like to get fit. But was met with overwhelming dizziness, vertigo and panic attacks within 5 days of decreasing my dose to 20mg. So its great for some things, but hard to get off. Id love to hear of something similar that has less side effects."

Nudge82 February 24, 2015

Inderal (propranolol): "Have been taking for over 20 years, works good for getting less migraines and even better, helps my tremors. However, when I switched to try the generic, it did neither. Now my insurance wants to make me pay a fee for not being able to use the generic. A fee that equals the list price of the medicine without insurance. I can not afford to go from 100.00 copay for a 3 month supply to 1300.00 for the same amount."

Jillzplace January 29, 2015

"Taking propranolol has significantly changed my life. I was averaging one migraine per week. It would be a two day event with nausea and stomach issues. After starting on 80 mg, the migraines were twice a month. Now on 120 mg they occur about once per month. I am due for a medicine check in Feb. I do not know if my doctor will recommend a dose increase again, but the goal is to eliminate the migraines regularly. Missing one dose will cause a pounding, throbbing headache that may last for several hours upon taking the missed dose. This is not doubling up on the dose! There was some fatigue in the very beginning and very odd, vivid dreams at the start and again when the dosage was increased. This has allowed me to live a better life!"

kikajo January 13, 2015

"I have had migraine for the past 50 years, have taken tons of pain killers you can imagine how my daily life was ruined by the migraine. I was visiting my GP one day recently complaining about palpitation which I suffered for the past 2-3 months, he suggested propranolol 80 mg twice a day and then the miracle started working! As soon as I started taking propranolol both palpitation and migraine gone away! So far and I am hoping it will last for ever as I read the other comments. I am going to give a present to my GP worth at least 1000 pounds if I am headache free for a month. Finger crossed."

javad madani London uk (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2015

"I've suffered with migraines as has every female in my family since my late teens. By late 20s I was searching for a prophylactic as I was using Imitrex far more than recommended (or insurance would pay for). I tried anticonvuldants, antidepressants,and calcium channel blockers but with no success until I tried propranolol. My migraines nearly disappeared for months. What a joyful and exciting time in my life to be pain free! Unfortunately, my hair began to fall out in large quantities. Bald spots were forming and my hairline receding. Not an acceptable side effect for young ladies. I hate I had to stop the propranolol but there were no other explanations for the hair loss. With new Rogaine hair I'm back to square one."

Hemo-RN (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2015

"I have suffered from migraines for over 20 years. I experienced about 6 or more a month. They would last 3 days in bed, vomiting with multiple trips to ER. I have been taking Propranolol for 3 years now with much success. I still sometimes experience menstrual migraines but they are less severe and controlled with Ibuprofen. In addition, I suffered from anxiety which I no longer have. I do suffer from cold feet and hands all the time and unexplained weight gain (20lbs). I would recommend this for migraine treatment, I feel I got my life back."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2014

"Years and years of pain misery vomiting. Sometimes I thought I was dying. Ruined my life work life social life. Last migraine went to hospital emergency had to be given morphine as was crying for hours in pain.. my doctor then prescribed propranolol. It's been the best time ever in my adult life its just so fab to wake up pain free. Yes I'm dopey tired but rather that than that evil pain... good luck to us all on this.. only us migraine sufferers can experience this relief of a medicine that actually works."

nittynat (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

"I was having horrible migraines over the last year. Finally I started talking to a neurologist. After trying a couple other things he suggested propranolol. It has been life changing! I have been on it for 3 months and have had maybe 4 headaches. I hadn't looked into the reviews before now, but I'm glad other users think there is a link between this medicine and weight gain."

Anonymous October 28, 2014

Inderal (propranolol): "Have been taking for over 25 years. Very good control of my migraines."

ADC1325 October 14, 2014

"I have been on the Propanolol for about 4 months and it has done miracles with my migraines. I have only had one aura in that time. The problem is that I have gained 20 pounds without making any changes to my diet or exercise routine. I wish that the medicine didn't have the unwelcome weight gain side affect."

Jenipeni (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2014

"My experience, while only 2 days so far, has been life changing. I have had migraines for 16 years. Now at age 32, they seem to have only gotten progressively worse. I have resisted daily medication for many many years, feeling that it would somehow mean that I've given in to my headaches and went against my idea of being a healthy, vibrant person. However, after recently having a migraine for 30 consecutive days I realized that migraines had come to control me more than a daily medication ever could. Vacations, my career, my relationships were being threatened. The day I took prop, my 30 day migraine went away within just hours, and has since stayed away! I feel great! Side effects: drowsy, slightly spacey, serene, peaceful, tired."

NorCalFemale (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2014

Inderal (propranolol): "I found immense relief with Inderal, on just 10mg every morning and night....it was like a miracle as preventative and I also have found it dulls a migraine if one happens to break through, by taking an extra one. I had been waking up with a bad headache/migraine every day, which lasted all day. Codeine was my only vague relief in mega doses. My only complaint is that since commencing Inderal I have gained 10kg and no dieting seems to help! All this in only 12 months. The other side effects have been an increase to my allergy intolerance to certain foods ie chocolate and a heightened problem with low blood sugar. So, the doctor has just commenced me on Topamax instead 25mg every morning and night. Will report how this compares!"

Trying something else May 29, 2014

"I was put on 120 mg's and that worked for my migraines for about a week or two then they came back just like before. Some weeks were better than others but I always had at least one migraine a week. The Dr. upped my dose to 160 mg's and now I only get one migraine a month. It is a three day migraine related to PMS. I take Imitrex to get rid of these."

CGRAHAM00 January 14, 2014

Inderal (propranolol): "I have been on this at least a year on 10mg 2x a day, I've had unexplained weight gain and my headaches haven't gotten better. I've been to nutrition specialist and stepping up the exercise and tried to eat better but no matter what I do I still gain weight and my doctor's keep telling me that I'm not taking anything that would cause weight gain! Now they have doubled my dosage."

DanaLM January 14, 2014

Inderal (propranolol): "I started taking Inderal to help with migraines. I still get headaches almost daily but they aren't migraine-quality and can be managed with Ibuprofen. Negatives: sleep disturbances, feet are ALWAYS freezing, and I'm experiencing frequent orthostatic hypotension. I had normal-to-low BP when starting this med so I don't think it's the right med for my body, since it lowers BP. I like not having migraines but can't exercise or live life if I'm always dizzy and weak."

Misha13 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2013

"I had experienced stress-induced migraines from work for years... truly agonizing... Once I discovered beta-blockers, I studied them for quite a while, and over time I correlated the migraines to a surge of catecholamines resulting from stressors acting on the fight or flight response mechanism, which operates via catecholamine release in the brain. Bottom line, 20 - 40 mg a day has completely eradicated the migraines."

The Man In The Back (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2013

"I have suffered from panic attacks since the age of 13. My doctor prescribed propranolol on an as needed basis for this and it helped tremendously. I usually have severe periods of Irritable Bowel Syndrome during my panic attacks, which can lead to having to use the restroom over 10 times a day. It's painful, makes eating impossible, is embarrassing, and is huge nuisance to deal with in public. Propranolol completely eradicates the physical manifestations of my panic attacks. The IBS is eliminated, I don't cry excessively, I don't get extremely hot or cold, I can breathe normally, and I am able to rationally address the problem at hand."

gwen2295 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2013

InnoPran XL (propranolol): "The only high blood pressure medicine that really helped, BUT due to the price going off the charts, and no insurance, I've had to take a different medicine and suffer with headaches."

KC18 September 29, 2013

"When I was 16 years old I had what most people would have thought would be a stroke. My entire right side was numb. I was slurring my words and my lip was dropping and a terrible terrible migraine. And I was diagnosed with having complex migraines. I'm 17 now and I had another "episode" in May. And just recently I had another this month. But since I have been on this medication I have had little to no headaches unless I forget to take it for a couple days, but propranolol saved my life. If I continue to have these episodes then we will know that it's more than just a migraine and we are going to have to see a neurologist. I have had 2 CAT scans that showed no tumors but my dad had brain tumors that were small. Wish me luck!"

Autumn_Skies July 2, 2013

"Went to the Dr. for arrhythmia and vertigo. By the end of the week I was slurring my words and they thought I may have had a stroke. All test came back negative. I never had a migraine headache but after the age of 40 I had what my Dr. called silent migraines. There is a family history of migraines. The neurologist put me on propranolol to help with the dizziness and vertigo about a week ago. Starting today I am on 160 MG. It seems to be helping at times. The problem is I have always had BP of 110/70 it dropped this week to 93/60. They said not to be concerned."

JDB13 June 24, 2013

Inderal LA (propranolol): "I've battled migraines since I was 14 and was diagnosed with PMDD. 10 to 15 days out of the month I get crippling migranes. I've tried numerous things and nothing has really helped. I've been on Inderal for a couple days now along with Norco and still have what I would consider a fairly bad headache. I'm still seeing the aura and occasional star flashes in my eyes. I'm hoping something changes here soon. I will say last night was my first night since I've had my son, I slept a full 6 hours straight. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013