User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Panic Disorder

Review by PTSDandMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Propranolol does help a bit with panic attacks, but not all that much. It does not have too many discernible side effects besides some dizziness.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by RobRob1985:

After 6 months of severe panic attacks and anxiety, I was prescribed propranolol. Wow, what a huge turn around! I was very paranoid about taking ANY medication but I sucked it up and dealt with it. I'm so glad I did because my life has now changed because of it. My heart rate would beat out of control triggering panic and anxiety. I should mention that I am a strong believer in medication to only be a GUIDE into creating a healthy lifestyle both mentally and physically.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Great medicine for panic attacks, no anxiety and body symptoms after taking it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by worrier123:

I was prescribed propranolol 4 years ago and was on 160mg daily for around a year and it worked straight away. Took away the racing heart and trembling hands and made me feel normal, after around 6 months I started to feel light headed and dizzy and was moved down to 80mg daily which I was on for around 2 years, when I felt I was on better control of my panic attacks I started to titrate down the propranolol as you are not allowed to just stop taking it and this is the downside, as when my panic attacks where under control, I was starting to get a racing heart and trembling again as the doctors where trying to get my titration rate sorted out and I was moved down too quickly. It took 18 months to do this which was the downside.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by Boiled Frogs.:

I tried Cipralex for 6 months, then Wellbutrin XL for 4 months. They helped but still not able to function ( No work, moved home, no friends, Not willingly leaving the house, avoiding social anything). I was then prescribed Propranolol with the Wellbutrin, a gradual build up to 20mg over 1 month. Now I am as cool as a cucumber. Still a bit nervous to head outside but that is just thoughts and not a physical reaction. No side effects besides weird dreams but that might be from the Wellbutrin. The first time in a year since this all started I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I am 28, male, heavy drinker. Alcohol might be why this all started. I went from traveling extensively to never leaving the house overnight.

November 8, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by melisssmikey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Before I started taking propranolol I would have fast heart rates and the shakes, I could not function. This medicine enables me to live a close to normal life as possible! It does give me cold hands and a little morning dizziness but so what. Compared to a life without it that's nothing.

April 22, 2013 6:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine is great at preventing the physical symptoms of panic attacks which are my biggest concern. At 10mg, it keeps my heart rate at a tolerable level and I don't shake or feel nauseous. However, if I take it and don't experience any stress it completely wipes me out and makes me feel like I just want to sleep all day.

August 31, 2012 9:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Inderal is a really great alternative to benzodiazepines for anxiety and panic attacks. I have generalized anxiety disorder and am prone to having panic attacks, especially in high stress situations that I can't get out of right away. I am prescribed 20mg to take as needed, up to three times a day. When I have my panic attacks, I fear that I might have a heart attack or some bad heart problem because my panic makes my heart pound so hard and fast. Inderal is a beta blocker that blocks adrenaline, so when I take it, my heart slows down a little and doesn't feel as though it is pounding in my chest. It doesn't remove my panic completely but it prevents my anxiety and worries from building. I like Inderal because it is safe and not addictive.

June 19, 2012 10:46 PM

Have tried other medications, such as tricyclic antidepressants. Propranolol helped the most. Without it there is an uncomfortable feeling.

March 13, 2012 8:34 AM