User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Panic Disorder

"I've tried Buspar, Xanax, Ativan, various anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and even cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxant). Propranolol (20mg daily) has been the best medication of ALL of these for generalized anxiety. No "swimming head", no dry mouth, no ravenous hunger... almost no side effects, except I feel a bit slow before my morning shower. Propranolol gives a nice "body calm" - heart rate steady, no sweating palms and no jittery feeling. I now use low doses of Propranolol and Imipramine for generalized anxiety and panic, and Lamotrigine for cyclothymia, and (rarely) Ativan. I feel like a new man! They also use Propranolol to treat PTSD patients... it blocks the "fight/flight" reaction and allows processing of trauma."

Northern_Guy (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

"Over the last 6 months , I've been suffering from panic attacks and severe anxiety. Accompanied with frequent fear I experience daily physical symptoms ( pain in chest, dizziness rapid heart rate etc. which started to control my daily life. I started taking Propranolol 10MG 3 times a day, within about 2-3 days I felt so much calmer and could cope with day to day life a lot better. Over the course of a few weeks my anxiety attacks and panic were becoming fewer and fewer . this medication has been a big turning point for me . Fingers crossed this continues"

Anonymous April 13, 2015

"Works great. For very stressful events, its not enough. I take 20 mg plus 0.5 mg Ativan. That does the trick 1 hour before. If its a mildly stressful event I don't need the Ativan. Just the 20 mg. it's not effective for me anyway to stop a panic attack after its started. I need Ativan plus propranolol for that."

Joe beningo December 18, 2014

"Propranolol does help a bit with panic attacks, but not all that much. It does not have too many discernible side effects besides some dizziness."

PTSDandMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2014

"After 6 months of severe panic attacks and anxiety, I was prescribed propranolol. Wow, what a huge turn around! I was very paranoid about taking ANY medication but I sucked it up and dealt with it. I'm so glad I did because my life has now changed because of it. My heart rate would beat out of control triggering panic and anxiety. I should mention that I am a strong believer in medication to only be a GUIDE into creating a healthy lifestyle both mentally and physically."

RobRob1985 December 6, 2014

"Great medicine for panic attacks, no anxiety and body symptoms after taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2014

"I was prescribed propranolol 4 years ago and was on 160mg daily for around a year and it worked straight away. Took away the racing heart and trembling hands and made me feel normal, after around 6 months I started to feel light headed and dizzy and was moved down to 80mg daily which I was on for around 2 years, when I felt I was on better control of my panic attacks I started to titrate down the propranolol as you are not allowed to just stop taking it and this is the downside, as when my panic attacks where under control, I was starting to get a racing heart and trembling again as the doctors where trying to get my titration rate sorted out and I was moved down too quickly. It took 18 months to do this which was the downside."

worrier123 September 9, 2014

"I tried Cipralex for 6 months, then Wellbutrin XL for 4 months. They helped but still not able to function ( No work, moved home, no friends, Not willingly leaving the house, avoiding social anything). I was then prescribed Propranolol with the Wellbutrin, a gradual build up to 20mg over 1 month. Now I am as cool as a cucumber. Still a bit nervous to head outside but that is just thoughts and not a physical reaction. No side effects besides weird dreams but that might be from the Wellbutrin. The first time in a year since this all started I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I am 28, male, heavy drinker. Alcohol might be why this all started. I went from traveling extensively to never leaving the house overnight."

Boiled Frogs. November 8, 2013

"I have panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Before I started taking propranolol I would have fast heart rates and the shakes, I could not function. This medicine enables me to live a close to normal life as possible! It does give me cold hands and a little morning dizziness but so what. Compared to a life without it that's nothing."

melisssmikey (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2013

"This medicine is great at preventing the physical symptoms of panic attacks which are my biggest concern. At 10mg, it keeps my heart rate at a tolerable level and I don't shake or feel nauseous. However, if I take it and don't experience any stress it completely wipes me out and makes me feel like I just want to sleep all day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2012

"Inderal is a really great alternative to benzodiazepines for anxiety and panic attacks. I have generalized anxiety disorder and am prone to having panic attacks, especially in high stress situations that I can't get out of right away. I am prescribed 20mg to take as needed, up to three times a day. When I have my panic attacks, I fear that I might have a heart attack or some bad heart problem because my panic makes my heart pound so hard and fast. Inderal is a beta blocker that blocks adrenaline, so when I take it, my heart slows down a little and doesn't feel as though it is pounding in my chest. It doesn't remove my panic completely but it prevents my anxiety and worries from building. I like Inderal because it is safe and not addictive."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2012

"Have tried other medications, such as tricyclic antidepressants. Propranolol helped the most. Without it there is an uncomfortable feeling."

Anonymous March 13, 2012