User Reviews for Prometrium

Learn more about Prometrium.

Premature Labor 2 reviews 15 medications

Uterine Bleeding 2 reviews 10 medications

Perimenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 23 medications

8.3
Progesterone Insufficiency 5 reviews 10 medications

7.4
Amenorrhea 3 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Prometrium reviews 15 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Prometrium

Review by rebelsunset:

For Premature Labor: I was on Prometrium from day 1 up until week 19 then I was placed on the Makena shot which is also progesterone until I was 36 weeks. I fully believe this is why I have my daughter today. She is almost two and has had no side effects from me taking this medication in pregnancy. I have MTHFR FACTOR and low progesterone. This is why I needed to be on this medication

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Premature Labor: Early pregnancy loss was a huge issue. I have been on prometrium since day after ovulation. I am 18 weeks pregnant. Drs wanted me to stop at 14 weeks I had extra and continued. I ran out for two days and started having contractions. My Dr decided it was best to stay on prometrium due to evidence of risked preterm labor.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2012 12:13 AM

Review by swhitico81 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Progesterone Insufficiency: I am 49 and have been on this medication for one cycle. The side effects have not been as bad as I had anticipated. I had a few mild headaches, and bit of bloating, tender breasts and a mild acne breakout, and was a bit tired a few days. I am taking it for a proliferative endometrium and after 4 days being off the medicine, I am getting a period, so it seems to be working as planned. I am taking 200 mg.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2012 7:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Amenorrhea: I am currently taking this medication for a missed cycle. I was told to take it at night due to the drowsiness it may cause. So far I have not noticed much of a problem with that. I have been on the pill for 5 days and the side effects are almost unbearable. I have breast tenderness, but also the muscles around my chest/back area are aching to the point of being painful. I called my doctor about this side effect and was told that the medication has not been known to cause achiness. After reading this website I see it is very possible. I have had some dizziness, sweating, and irritability as well. Either way the medication seems to be helping, but I really cannot wait to quit it!

August 25, 2012 11:12 PM

Review by etangel:

For Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis: I am taking this med without any estrogen for endometrial hyperplasia. I am in my first cycle of taking this and already started a period on day 9 of the 12 pills. I really hope this will eradicate my hyperplasia,

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2012 7:22 PM

For Progesterone Insufficiency: I am on 100mg dose, days 14-28 of my period or the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. The first month was great, I felt level, the only side effects felt were extreme sugar cravings and vivid, bizarre dreams. However, in month two, no cravings, extreme mood swings and ranging from a need for a lot of sleep, not wanting to get out of bed to anxiety and very little sleep. No pregnancy yet.

October 19, 2011 8:18 PM

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: I take this medicine in conjunction with applications of divigel

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2011 4:01 AM

For Uterine Bleeding: It saved my baby. I was was showing signs of miscarrying because of my hormone levels. I took this for 12 weeks. The bleeding stopped the next day and I now have a healthy little girl!

March 10, 2011 2:44 PM

Review by kbehunin:

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: Taking it at 100 mg. Didn't like the dizzy feeling. Started taking it at night, much better but I feel it building up in my system over time. I wish I could take half or 3/4 as much but it is not available in those doses. I have absorption issues and the liquid form is great except I can't cut it in half. I do like what it does for my thinking, digestion, emotions etc but over time irritability, heavy-dreaming, pregnant-like feeling build-up. I am a small woman about 110lbs, 5 feet and wish smaller doses were available. A little bit goes a long way.

November 12, 2010 12:03 PM

For Progesterone Insufficiency: I'm pregnant and my lab work came back indicating I have a low progesterone level. My doctor prescribed Prometrium and initially I took the medication in the daytime, but then found that it makes me extremely tired. I decided to start taking the medicine at bedtime then started having very bizarre dreams only when I take the medication at bedtime. I informed my doctor,but he dismissed the side effect as not being related. I'm positive the side effect is from the medication. I hope this comment let other women who experience this side effect know that you are not alone. Just because it's not a listed side effect doesn't mean it can't happen.

March 20, 2010 8:11 PM

Review by chicago girl:

For Amenorrhea: This drug is effective at inducing a period, but it has AWFUL side effects. Basically, you will feel pregnant--tired, dizzy, hungry for junk food, and BLOATED. My breasts grew half a size within 3 days of taking. Then the rest of me caught up and I gained 5lbs in the 10 day time frame that I took this drug. But it did do what it was supposed to do, so I can't totally complain.

March 10, 2010 3:47 PM

Review by Dawn in NJ:

For Amenorrhea: Prescribed by my gynecologist to treat amenorrhea and long, heavy periods as a result of anovulation (I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which causes anovulation). Due to the anovulation, I would go several months without a period only to eventually have a period which would last anywhere from 14-35 days. The period would be much heavier than the norm, especially for the first 7-10 days. I would also have very large clot-like discharge. I take Prometrium for 21 days, then off for 7 days(which brings on my period). The only significant side effect has been hot flashes during the day, usually in the late morning I will have one bad one with profuse sweating. Then usually one in the afternoon but it's not as bad.

July 12, 2009 11:27 AM

Review by skrumm:

For Progesterone Insufficiency: I'm 48, and found that this nicely balanced the issues I'm having with estrogen dominance. I've had no side effects that I can tell, but a real clearing up of the fuzzy brain, night sweats, and trouble sleeping. I love it!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2009 8:49 PM

For Progesterone Insufficiency: I experienced a few mild side effects - mainly mild nausea and irritability. Well worth the improvement in my overall health.

December 31, 2008 9:01 AM

Review by ACE24:

For Uterine Bleeding: My doctor is having me take this medication because I have excessive bleeding. So far the bleeding has stopped but I'm on day 10 and the side effects are kicking in. I have breast tenderness, stomach cramps and I makes me very tired. Overall so far it has done what it needs to do. I go off of it in 2 days I'm hoping that my body will regulate.

November 13, 2008 9:23 PM

Review by zoda:

For Seizures: This artical says it's not known what happens with overdose of Prometrium but I can tell you do not take 2 doses at once. I normally take 800mg/day for last 1/2 of my cycle to suppress catamenial seizures. It works great with no negative side effects. I take 200mg every 6 hours. I recently missed a 200mg dose so I took 400mg at once. I was completely anesthesized for a couple of hours. Body went jelly-like. Everything slowed way down to the point that words came too slowly, if at all. Family opted to take me to the ER. Later was determined I was likely not in danger of dying but was clearly knocked out for a while. Memory of much of those 2 hours is totally lost to me. Family says I was pleasant and cooperative but out of it.

August 19, 2008 11:22 AM