User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Small Cell Lung Cancer 0 reviews 6 medications

Trophoblastic Disease 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Uveitis 1 reviews 71 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methotrexate reviews 92 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took Methotrexate for 17 years. Started with tablets but progressed to injections for less chance of side effects (and cheaper!). Always felt tired and nauseous for a day after, which got worse and lasted longer over the years, so that instead of just folic acid, my rheum had me take leucovorin the day after (a stronger folic acid). But 6 months ago I developed fatigue, malaise and chronic low grade fever despite normal blood tests; my rheum said he had seen that before in other patients taking Methotrexate and considered it a toxic reaction! There is no literature on this reaction, but I got better once I stopped, so just be aware."

CCEA August 13, 2015

For Scleroderma: "I have morphea, or what they call localized scleroderma. This condition causes red, brown and white patches on the skin, but no other real physical symptoms, so it's very hard for me to justify staying on this medication for 3 months, when it makes me feel so run down. It makes me feel cold, tired, and always like I'm coming down with something. Not sure how long I'll be able to handle these side effects."

Leeia (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I started methotrexate in September 2014 as my body was 75% covered with psoriasis and I had tried every topical/light treatment going. The drug worked wonders and I couldn't believe how my skin was clearing up, by jan/feb I'm actually wearing dresses without tights and short sleeves (especially at work which I'd never done before) the only downside was that the day after I took methotrexate I felt so tired I've ended up having days off work because of it, I decided to come off it in about may 2015 and am now waiting to try a new drug Adalumimab (spelling!?) and my skin has come back worse from methotrexate I'm in so much pain and I'm covered in guttate :(."

wrighth2009 August 7, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I have suffered with psoriasis for 30 years and have tried every possible lotion potion shampoo etc that my dermatologist has recommended - I started taking 10mg methotrexate once per week only 1 month ago - I have not noticed any reduction In scale patches and I am still quite itchy - is this Normal??"

Snowflake shoulders August 1, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "When all other meds/combo of meds failed my rheumy put me on mtx (8 tabs@ 2.5 mg. once a week). I still take 4 mg prednisone twice a day, 400 mg of plaquenil at night, and folic acid every morning. It's been a long road and a lot of ups and downs but I have seen the most progress since mtx was added to my combo of meds. I still have some pain but the stiffness (which used to last most of the day) and the swelling has improved. I am always nauseous and feel lethargic the first 24 - 48 hours after the mtx dose but 1-2 days of that is better than the alternative. I've always been extremely active so it has been rough struggling to do simple things."

Annie M (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I got my RA seven years ago and have eaten Mtx since then. For me it has worked great. I had no weird side effects either. I ate 8 tablets a week for seven years, but now I'm down to 6 tablets .... it works great too. I am Swedish, and our Mtx looks a bit different."

MisoPretty July 19, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed at 10mths old after a knee biopsy. I have been taking methotrexate on & off since I was 16 years old & I am now 41 years old. This medication has greatly reduce the activity of the disease & has increased the quality of my life greatly. I have just changed from methotrexate oral tablets to methotrexate injections. The tablets were making me feel nauseous so my specialist decided to put me on injections to bypass my stomach. The injections are easy to administer & relatively pain free. I am presently just trying to find the right dose for me due to suffering side effects. 15mg has caused me a severely sore lips & mouth, nausea, dizziness, lethargy & abdominal cramps. 12.5mg is the correct dose for me."

Sharrona July 19, 2015

For Psoriasis: "i was getting suicidal from severe scalp psoriasis methotrexate cleared it up,my bald spts went away but for a week ive noticed hair loss and patches coming back,i'm so upset"

karencool July 15, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started mtx in early 2010, I was on it the better part of the last 5 years. I'm also on my fourth biologic. I take 2mg of folic acid daily. Last May I did a four day stretch in hospital because of bone marrow suppression. RBC, WBC, ANC, platelets and hemoglobin were very low. (ANC under 200). I was given leucorvorin rescue. This is a very rare side effect for low dose mtx. Although the drug only gave me a 10 to 20% improvement, the biologic gives me 60 to 90%. Now I'm about to start Arava, I wish I could retry the mtx at half dose as it doesn't cause much in the way of minor side effects. I often think of Huey Lewis and his song "I want a new drug"."

RheumTrucker (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Just started the 15mg dose taken as 6 X 2.5mg tablets. 1st week taking them I had explosive diarrhea after 1 hour of taking medication. I hoped it was coincidence. 1 week later I am already seeing an improvement in my psariosis. I took the dosage this week on an empty stomach and with in an hour stomach cramps and diarrhea. I am going to stick with it until my appointment with dermatologist when I will ask for injections instead. I did have very mild nausea and a slightly fuzzy head after. I will keep u all updated"

hopeful irish man June 9, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on this medication for about 2 months now. I was taking prednisone before but that wouldn't help much. After the second week of taking methotrexate I can honestly say I am pain free. I can actually enjoy doing all the stuff I used to do before being diagnosed with RA. Before starting this medication I would experience horrible pain in my shoulders, hands, fingers, hips and ankles. I would have a rough time getting through the day. This medication works wonderfully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Methotrexate 25mg for 6 weeks now, but 6 month for 20 mg and I have seen much improvement with my back pain. I do have severe rib and chest pain still, but the back pain is much better. I feel like a zombie though every day I can barely make it through the day. I am so upset about my hair. I have cut almost 6 inches off and still have dry damaged hair from the medicine. I loose handfuls of hair daily and the gi problems sometimes are pretty bad. So I don't know if the side effects out way the benefits. I wish I could have someone help Me fix these side effects and I would be ok. I think the fatigued is one of the worse though. :( ...."

Jenn Jenn June 2, 2015

For Psoriasis: "68 year old male who has had Psoriasis for 46 years with coverage up to 90% of my body. No one would initially R(x) me methotrexate so I flew to Trinidad from Canada to see a doc there that would prescribe it. After the initial treatment I was totally free for three years then it came back. I was on every research pgm my cream passes could put me on PUVA, Soralyn, vit A, coal tar, retanoic acid, that stuff that turns everything purple (can't recall name). Finally I had to see a head shrinker as I was fairly emotionally messed up. He R(x)ed me methotrexate 2.5x3 every 12 hours for 36 hours, said not to drink and that I should get liver bios. I've had 10 invasive liver bios in 46 years 10 years ago I said no thanks no more. I'm clear."

MickSAus May 31, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Age 59, F, living N W Eire. No history of psoriasis until it struck 2 yrs ago. Small plaques on scalp, left elbow, then palms of hands, fingers & soles of feet. Itchy, shredding skin, burning as if stung by nettles. Open, painful cracks. Emollients, lotions, prescription creams had no effect. Water & detergents irritated. Touch & walking agony. Latex gloves for shower/chores, cotton gloves at work. Dermatologist found 'debilitating stage 2 psoriatic arthritis' prescribed 2.5 Methotrexate x6 once wkly plus Folic Acid and bloods checked wkly. Now 7th week. Plus: using hands & walking, no irritation. Neg: tired, poor focus, urinary infections, worse in bad weather, still avoiding water/detergents. Conclusion: Highly recommend Methotrexate"

NW Eire (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Started with pill form of methotrexate at 15 mg dosage per week. Moved to injection form and increased dosage to 25mg per week. Seen lots of improvement on my psoriasis. Tired the day and day after injection but not concerned. Stomach a bit irritated but a little drawback for the good benefits."

brooklin kid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm on my 3rd month and I do believe it's helping but the pain is still there. I have noticed as the dosage has increased it takes longer to bounce back and I'm unable to cut hair as that was my profession before diagnosis. I hope in time I will be able to get back to work but I am suffering several side effects. (hair falling out, unusually dry hair, quick to have to rest unlike before and several others) I was completely bed ridden before starting the medication so needless to say I don't want to try anything else because I am scared to take the chance that it won't work at all. I know I'm just beginning and hope in time the side effects will fade."

Jenni bug April 2, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "A couple of years ago my husband was at the point where he was limping severely, with swollen joints in his hands and feet. He was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and began taking methotrexate at 20 mg once a week; he has since cut back to 17.5 mg. It has made a huge difference in his functioning, and he's pretty much back to normal. (Regular strength training at the YMCA has also helped a lot). He was also told to take folic acid once a day, which he does. The only negative is that his hair has thinned quite a bit, which is a common side effect. He is in his 70s."

AnonCat March 19, 2015

For Neoplastic Diseases: "I am taking this for a systemic autoimmune disease. 4 injections so far of 40mg once a week, I can move around. It takes a while to start working, but it's working. Doc said if I take this prescribed overload of folic acid I won't lose my hair. It's a chemotherapy. It makes me nauseous. It makes me tired. But so does the disease. Is giving me infections of the skin, mouth, and eyes. Doc says that might just be because my body is one big infection fighting itself all at once."

Annie Nonomous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I have autoimmune disease and at the age of 65 developed sudden onset psoriasis on my body (arms, neck, chest, legs, ankles, scalp). Within one month of methotrexate treatment (.05 cc once a week) the psoriasis was noticeably disappearing. I have been taking a weekly dose for six months now and have had excellent results. I am also taking Folic Acid and have blood testing done about every 45 days. At this point I have had no adverse side affects and am grateful that I have relief from the psoriasis. In addition, the drug has given me moderate relief from hand and foot joint pain."

Equis February 11, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have only been taking the Methotrexate since the end of September and I am on 25mg per week. I was also prescribed the Folic Acid but can't take that as it causes such an upset stomach that I stopped it all together. So far the only symptoms I have had were in the beginning and that was feeling nausea, and very tired the day after taking it. It has helped with the swelling and pain and I have no pain in my knees anymore and just a bit in the hands, wrists and my one foot."

Cocacolababy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2014

Methotrexate LPF Sodium (methotrexate) for Psoriasis: "Seeing marked improvement in little over 48 hours of receiving injection. Psoriasis is 2/3 s the coloration as before . After 54 years of having this I am pleasantly surprised. Thought it would work much slower. At this point I am thrilled. No side effects yet !"

Juju a October 6, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Just taken my third dose of methotrexate this week (upped to 20mg after 2 weeks on 10mg)....take folic acid 5mg 3 x week. So far side effects have been manageable. Not sure if it's the medication or the steroid injections but I am starting to feel like my old self again. No swelling and little pain now so am now able to do the things I used to take for granted again. Feel hopeful about this medicine."

Dormouse (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking methotrexate for two weeks now. Before taking this, I had pain in my hips, knees, ankle and could not walk on the heel of one of my feet. The pain was really bad. I am now walking on my foot again with little pain and do not feel so fatigued and tired, I do feel tired and a bit dizzy for a few days after the medication but not too bad. I am only taking 3 a week at moment, and about to take four, then five and six. Hopefully I wont have to many side affects."

maseymae (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on methotrexate for almost a year. I am up to 20 mg a week. I take folic acid and leucovorin calcium 12 hours after the methotrexate. I was taking Enbrel but now take Xeljanz. Before the biologics the methotrexate wasn't working very well. I take prednisone too. I am only 36 but at least I can function better than I did. I still flare about twice a month. I suffer side effects from methotrexate. My hair has severely thinned out and I get very tired after taking it. It looks like I'll be on it for a long time tho. Hopefully it gets better. I would really Like my hair to come back."

ACS3 July 5, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on methotrexate for two months now and have slowly increased my dose to 17.5mg/week. I started on a daily dose of folic acid but switched to a weekly dose of Leucovorin due to dizziness a couple of days after my Methotrexate dose. My pain and inflammation are gone and I feel so much better. I am once again able to do the things I love and have no side effects. I'm RF negative, but my rheumatologist chose to treat me quickly and aggressively based on symptoms and a high CCP. I'm thankful she did. I hope Methotrexate will be a long term solution to treat my rheumatoid arthritis."

Dpalmer63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2014