User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Psoriasis 51 reviews 310 medications

Gastric Cancer 1 reviews 3 medications

Scleroderma 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Methotrexate reviews 118 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had taken methotrexate 21 years by the VA . plus Enbrel,Humira, folic acid and more ..well this is a warning ..I now have NASH it's a disease from the meds .cirrossis of the liver. Uncureable! Just change foods . Pray it doesn't get worse. WARNING. WARNING WARNING ,!"

Larrylorenzo May 14, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After a severe case of Ross River Fever for which i was taking 50 mg Prednisone daily I developed chronic degenerative Polymyalgia Rheumatica, the pain in my arms, neck, hips, knees, hands and ankles was intense and never ending, i tried all the usual pain killers including Oxycontin and Methadone with varying short term success but the mind numbing daily struggle associated with taking Opiates was taking a toll on my life, my Rheum trialed me on 15 mg mtx weekly for 2 months and the result was incredible, the pain in neck and knees almost disappeared after the first week so the Rheum increased dose to 15 mg morning and night once a week, wow what a difference! few side effects and almost pain free, thank you MTX"

Ronnsy (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 14. My life was hell by the time I was 18. It covered pretty much every where the sun didn't shine. I tried every thing topical, uv light and sun bathing, different diets you name it, I tried it. In my 30's I accepted that the only way I as ever going to have relief was by once every three or so months sun bath until I was so burnt it forced the psoriasis to slow down. I met a random stranger who saw my psoriasis and mentioned methotrexate. He told me his story, so I gave it a try. I hope the people who are complaining after six or even seven weeks stay the course. It took me four moths to see results. I am 40 now and have been %95 clear for the past eight years. 12mg once a week."

AllClear May 7, 2016

For Psoriasis: "After 20 years of psoriasis and having had light treatment and creams I was prescribed cyclosporin which was fantastic. Almost clear within 2 weeks but over a long period of time it affected my kidneys. Been on methotrexate for 1 week 12.5mg per week and no real change. Not as quick as cyclosporin but I am hopeful it will clear soon"

Picnic April 30, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on Methotrexate for 9 months now 20mg once a week with 2 folic acids 2 days later my problem is that whilst the med is working its playing havoc on my liver I've had to come off it as my LFT results were constantly increasing then suddenly doubled. She asked me to have a Biopsy of my liver to work out if it is defiantly the Methotrexate or something else I guess this is what I need to do now. I've finally got myself down to 5mg Prednisone and now the Rheumo has said stop Mtx and see how you go if we need to we can up the Pred I don't want to up the Pred I eat like a horse and put so much weight on I'm hoping theres something else out there that will help me. Already tried Sulfazasaline and got a rash and other side effects."

Teish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "For all the people just starting MTX for psoriasis...patience, it takes time!!!! I have had psoriasis for 20 years worse every year for the last decade, tried ointments, UV therapy, all sorts diets in vain. Started MTX 7.5mg weekly 4 months ago, feeling heart broken the first couple months as I saw no change, but it is happening... at turtle speed I am clearing. After 3 months the itch stopped now I am VERY SLOWLY clearing ( as long as I don't take any alcohol). Dermatologist said at such low dose expect best benefit around 6 months. No side effects!"

Scaly April 2, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Works moderately well and with few side effects for me. I take 7.5-10mg a week along side 200mg twice daily hydroxycloroquine ( plaquenil) and 1mg folic acid 6 times a week ( not on my MTX day) . It's pretty cheap with insurance and even without it. The side effect that I get is metallic taste in mouth / tingles in my tongue towards my bottom teeth and loss of appetite ( which is common to me on any arthritis medications and ever since I got arthritis in the first place ) and feeling slightly sick after I take the pills. The drug definitely has had a positive effect on my pain levels though and has even led to a reduction in my overall meds . I'm feeling much better then I used to and am able to work and have a pretty normal life again."

Cash hardy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been taking Methotrexate for almost 3 years now. Last fall, I felt good enough that I went off it without my Drs knowledge, because it made me feel pretty ill for a day or so after. What a mistake! I started taking it again about 2 months ago, and although it still makes me sick, it sure beats the pain I`m in without it. (on 25 mg a week, along with Hydroxychloroquin and folic acid)"

Macaroon5 March 6, 2016

For Gastric Cancer: "I have crohn's disease and started methotrexate in conjunction with my remicade treatments, as it was supposed to lessen the chance of developing antibodies to remicade. The biggest effect this drug had on me was psychologically. I became severely depressed (absolutely no history of depression), when I started have some suicidal thoughts I knew I had to stop it (took drug for just 3 months). As soon as I stopped (but continued with remicade) all those symptoms stopped. For me it was one of the scariest drugs I've ever been on and I wanted to put this here, while these side effects seem rare, this was definitely a side effect of taking methotrexate for me, and there may be others."

cw55 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

For Psoriasis: "On methotrexate for 20 years, no issues w/liver function. Otezla worked much better, but ins. refused to cover it, back on metho. Psoriasis since age 7, psoriatic arthritis since 40's. Now 54. Increased metho from 10mg/wk to 15/wk, pain and scaling more severe. New patches around my eyes, lids are swollen, painful and itchy. Eyes constantly dry, red, painful, itchy - might have psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis in them, going back to rheumatologist and an opthalmologist for help. OTC allergy eye drops, soothing drops and nightly administration of Vaseline in/around eyes not alleviating condition. Very sore all over, sunny weather alleviates the patches and joint/tendon pain. Can't wait to sunbathe! No biologics, cancer scare."

AustinTexas February 12, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 62, and was diagnosed with RA about 10 years ago, I have been through a battery of drugs to suppress my immune system, ending up on subcutaneous methrotrexate 10mg, I originally had a 'bad day' the day after my injections, however it seems to be getting to be a bad couple of days lately. Intense pressure head ache (I'm also a migraine sufferer), nausea, confusion, tiredness and now really troubled sleep, nightmares, and some visual disruption/ (almost hallucinations), feelings of panic, unease and claustrophobic. I know the alternatives, stop and face RA full on, but I would rather get 3/4 good days than be on the road to being completely disabled."

Nigel G (taken for 10 years or more) February 8, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been taking mtx, folic and Plaquinel for 1.5 yrs. My biggest side effect is lack of appetite. Not sure if it is the MTX or plaquinel causing this but as a result I feel I have no energy or muscle mass left. I wonder whether it is better to take the drugs or let the RA runs it's course. History of cancer in the family but not seeing any reference to that side effect here"

Jonseycanada February 3, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Following treatment for acute auto-immune disease of the brain I suddenly developed RA symptoms in my hands and feet - dropping things all day, severe overnight swelling and pain. Two previous medications prescribed by my rheumatologist were ineffective. Tried Methotrexate (8 x 2.5mg once/week folic acid) two days ago and 50% of swelling and 90% of the pain are gone; can make a more-or-less painless fist with both hands, easy to type first thing in the morning (woo hoo) and happy to be alive."

Mister Moo (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have had rheumatoid arthritis 15 years severe & aggressive. Finding a good rheumatologist has been impossible. I take Humira, methotrexate, folic acid. Taking the prescribed dose of methotrexate10 mg once a week. I am so lethargic, still stiff hands, feet joints as well as pain. It is better than no medication because that pain is fire, this has dulled the fire. Had one surgery shoulder.. My hair has been rapidly falling out again, I can't eat normally. After reading this blog I realize I may do better with either injections or stopping completely. Planquenil, sulfa-salazine were of no benefit. Allergci to biologics. Had to find one that has been a game changer."

Sparks203 January 23, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on methotrexate about 5 months ago after a nasty flare up back in the spring. I have had arthritis in my left knee since the age of 2 but found the arthritis went into remission all through my teens and has kind of been in and out of remission throughout my 20's. Steroid injections always worked well but this time around, it did nothing. The R/A has now spread to shoulders and wrists as well so I was put on methatrexate 20mg once a week along with hydroxychloriquine. I have found that it has only been the last couple of weeks that I am starting to feel some benefit from the meds, the knee pain is much better although my wrists are still very painful especially at night! My consultant assures me the meds will work. Fingers crossed"

Emma jd January 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I've had psoriasis for the past 10 years and was exhausted from trying creams and such. I searched for a treatment that would do more - and have been on methotrexate for about 7 weeks now. I haven't noticed any change in my skin - atleast not for the better. I've been really itchy, and I really feel like my scalp has gotten worse. I have flakes constantly and my head is covered in acne and red bumps now. My face is getting a bit of acne too. And, despite the fact that I eat very healthy and work out, I have put on about 2 pounds per week. :( So sad"

Better Living January 12, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Been on mtx for about 18 months. Just went from pills to injections and I'm fairly pleased. The day after doesn't seem as bad. Definitely will never go back to the pills. I get about 75% relief. I'll take that any day!"

Liberty's Noni (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I've been taking this medicine for 9 weeks now. I'm taking 7.5mg once a week but have seen NO difference whatsoever! All I seem to be getting is little boils everywhere, sickness, nausea and weight gain! :("

kuli (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate has been a miracle for me. For the past 3 years experiencing extreme tiredness, no energy to do anything, thankful to get through a day's work. Tried every combination of vitamins the world has ever made without any results. Then over last one year severe inflammation of hands, could barely make a fist, difficulty using hands. Under rheumatologist advice used 2 other medications till placed on methotrexate with a dose of 5 pills per week. Have been on this dose past 8 months with great results. Have been walking, biking around from 2 to 4 miles frequently, mowing grass, doing property maintenance 6 to 8 hrs per day and still having energy to continue working on other things! Crossing fingers, THANKS METHOTREXATE!"

jFr123 December 22, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 23 years old, I was diagnosed with RA at age 21. My pain, swelling & fatigue was so severe, I could barely walk and had to be in a wheelchair during my hospital stay. My Rheum. started me on MTX immediately along with prednisone. At one point I was also taking Enbrel (biologic), but the auto injections were so painful, it outweighed the benefit of the drug and I stopped taking it. I am now only taking prednisone during flare ups and take 25 mgs of MTX every week. The RA already makes me so tired, the added side effects of MTX are next to unbearable. The day after I take the drug, I am so fatigued, I can barely pick my head up. The nausea and vomitting is awful. It is: Would you rather not be able to walk? Or walk and be sick?"

Kari Zari (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with severe advanced plaque psoriasis in Dec, 2014. I was 60% covered when I first went to my dermatologist. By the end of Mar, 2015 after trying one ointment after another I was 95% covered, in pain (felt like 3rd degree sunburn), the itching was like a million fire ant bites 24/7. I couldn't lay down or sleep. The doctor started me on Methotrexate in May. Within 6 wks, I was totally clear and still am. (10/18/15) I take 2-2.5mg tablets Mon AM & again Mon PM then 1 Tues AM for a total of 12.5 mg a wk. I also take 1-1mg Folic Acid every day. I go in for follow ups and blood work every 3 mths but I'm fine now.... thanks to Methotrexate."

TPCDSecretary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2015

For Ectopic Pregnancy: "Ectopic pregnancy, 11 weeks. Was not warned about the side effects other than I would have cramping and pain. Day 1 after methorexate not too bad, definitely nauseous & lower back cramping, then toward the end of day 2 and day 3 & 4 I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Terrible nausea, felt like my body was made of lead, no strength, no energy, strong labor like pain & all over malaise."

valley view (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "When I was first diagnosed my hands hurt so badly I wondered how I could convince my doctor to amputate them and give me prosthetics. Methotrexate was among the first things tried to get my RA under control. After steroids, a variety of IV therapies, and anti-inflammatories Methotrexate has been my mainstay and keeps my RA under control as well as the biologics. I take it orally with no side effects. Yeah for Methotrexate in my life."

211106 September 17, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate has helped with the pain, but no one told me that it could affect my blood glucose and pressure. I worked for 3 years to control my diabetes with diet and had just completely normalized my glucose levels. Methotrexate ruined that with the first dose. So should a person take it and add additional BP meds and have to go on diabetes meds?"

Devora2 September 16, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I have been taking a 15 mg weekly dose (three doses of 5 mg at 12 hour intervals once a week) for five weeks now. My psoriasis -- pretty heavy scaling on all joints, and "splatter" over pretty much the whole body, which I've had for 18 years (I'm 51) -- has gone almost completely (still a little bit on elbows, knees, and ankles; hands and rest of body are completely clear). Yes, early days, but hopefully.... My only suggestion is to get empty gelatine capsules (or gelatine substitute if you are vegetarian; harder to get hold of) and put the tablets in them before taking. Helps avoid stomach upset."

AndyW September 3, 2015