User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Methotrexate review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 237 medications used in the treatment of Psoriasis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Psoriasis

Review by Juju a:

Methotrexate LPF Sodium (methotrexate): Seeing marked improvement in little over 48 hours of receiving injection. Psoriasis is 2/3 s the coloration as before . After 54 years of having this I am pleasantly surprised. Thought it would work much slower. At this point I am thrilled. No side effects yet !

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by Mrs DT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 19years old now in my 40s I have tried everything on the market, been on methotrexate since New Year's Day and I am so happy to say that it has nearly all gone. I holiday with all my friends and don't feel embarrassed, I am so happy. I would recommend, it's a slow process but five months in and pretty much clear. No side effects, tired on day of medication but that's no issue.

June 9, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by LeopardHat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I live in the UK & have had plaque psoriasis for 20 yrs. After various lotions, UVB & PUVA, my knees & elbows became infected and I could hardly walk or sleep with the discomfort. As I also have depression, my dermatologist decided on prescribing methotrexate as my quality of life was so severely affected. I take 15mg tablets once a week, within a month it had all but gone, & has remained that way. It has been a year since I started, it's such a relief not to think about my knees all the time! I also take folic acid, & the skin on my face has become quite oily, but it's definitely worth it. I've recently noticed the few patches I have left are beginning to increase in size, but I hope this improves with the arrival of summer!

May 6, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Kimmy9519:

Tried all other methods for relief of psoriasis, 80% of body. Have been on methotrexate for 5.5 weeks, belly, back, chest and forearms are all clear, very mild psoriasis that isn't red or irritated on upper arms and lower legs. My confidence and self esteem has increased heaps, excited to go for a swim 2nd time since I've had psoriasis (7 years). Only had bad fatigue for first few weeks, haven't drank any alcohol, healthy diet with minimal junk food, and nausea if I eat something really, fatty eg. pizza. Skin colour isn't yellowing nor getting black under the eyes, or anything else relating to bad liver. Would definitely recommend this medication.

January 6, 2014 6:41 PM

Review by scaly girl (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a baby with "Cradle Cap.'' It was left untreated until I was about 21. I have tried every cream and t-gel out there. Nothing cleared it up fully. Since I turned 24 the condition has spread to other parts of my body, usually parts that don%u2019t get much light. Psoriasis is terrible and affects everyone so differently. This condition has kept me from getting close to people and even kept me from going to hair dressers. Finally I decided to start this medicine. I'm currently on my fourth week of 15mg oral methotrexate. I have noticed a huge decrease in itching and my patches seem to be not as scaly. I really hope this works, so far so good.

December 30, 2013 11:29 AM

Review by Kimber321 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This drug greatly helped my psoriatic arthritis, but not the plaque poriasis, which always came back. I've been through the scrip topicals, light treatments, Amiveve, etc. I was 98% covered. Why did not a single doctor ever tell me NOT to touch beer???? If you drink beer put it DOWN and see how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and effects the immune system. For topical relief? Try OTC Boudreaux's Butt Paste baby diaper rash cream, which far outshines Dovonex. Scalp treatment? Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. If you are severely covered add zinc or zinc supplements to your diet. I haven't gone to a derm in years and I am clear!!!!

November 4, 2013 3:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had psoriasis since I can remember, last year after a foot injury I developed psoriatic arthritis. Since it has spread to both feet, both knees, one hand and lower back. Leaving me hardly being able to walk at 30. I started methotrexate 4 weeks ago and it is helping a lot. Only side effects for me are fatigue. I do 1 ml injections once a week. If you have PsA, get on methotrexate. If you can handle the needles injections are the way to go.

October 26, 2013 8:50 AM

Review by Arouran Moon (taken for less than 1 month):

Started taking methotrexate approx. 1 and a 1/2 weeks ago. Already have seen significant improvements. I have had over 75% coverage of psoriasis from head to toe since my teens and I am now 45. Minor troubling side effect include slight nausea, bad fatigue and dizziness. These clear up after I finish my three day treatment. Positive outweighs the negative. I am scheduled for my first liver test on Oct 1st. In my opinion ...worth it!

September 13, 2013 8:33 PM

Review by stargirl589:

During the Christchurch earthquakes my mother (who's had psoriasis all her life) and myself broke out big time. We found a specialist and got put on this. It cleared up in a matter on 2 weeks for mum, for me it was 3-4 weeks. We both have had no side effects. However, now 1 yr later after moving to Auckland I can't find a doctor who will supply it to me. One week from being off it and has all come back. Just want to be a normal 20 yr old. If you got a doctor who prescribes this, don't let them go.

July 29, 2013 6:40 AM

Review by laurenban:

I am just diagnosed with psoriasis on May 2013 and I am on my 3rd week of methotrexate and so far it cleared the psoriasis on my neck and under my breast. It stops the wetness and flakes and the ones in my arm and tummy are lesser in flakes. I just hope that my dermatologist will allow me to continue the medicine, but it depends on the lab results on my liver.

July 22, 2013 1:18 AM

Review by ARn26 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been suffering with psoriasis for 4 years now and with each year it keeps on getting worse. The guttate psoriasis covers 80% of my body. I have tried ointments, light therapy and now methotrexate. All treatments work for a while but oddly enough the psoriasis comes back with vengeance. New spots appear. My dermatologist explained to me that it takes 3 months for methotrexate to work. It slightly cleared up my Psoriasis the first month but on the third month my psoriasis came back even worse. I'm glad to read that this medicine has done wonders for many but it just didn't work for me.

July 5, 2013 3:41 PM

Review by azure71:

Just started a week ago. Was nervous regarding side effects but bit the nerves. Notice there is no flaking after one week. Although still itchy hopefully that goes away. Just felt like I was exhausted faster but want to keep giving it a try. Tried everything else.

June 6, 2013 12:33 AM

Review by fluffynut (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had severe psoriasis which covered me head to toe since I was 5 I'm now 30. Tried every trick in the book from lotions and potions, light therapy & homeopathic remedies. I put off taking methotrexate for fear of becoming a glow in the dark alien with the side effects! Finally gave in last year and so glad I did. It cleared within 3 weeks. I'm now on 15mg a week and only have slight patches of psoriasis dotted about. Had a few bad headaches now and then but nothing extreme. A little wobbly on the blood tests but nothing life threatening just yet. Much better quality of life at the min, and much less hoovering haha.

April 5, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by oneta:

My mother broke out seemed like overnight with red bumps that quickly turned into dry patches. The dermatologist knew right away what it was. We have been on the Methotrexate for 6 weeks and the flaking is totally gone and is healing. The dose was 2 Friday morning, 2 Friday evening and 2 Saturday morning. Only side effect was appetite and very tired for 2 days.

March 30, 2013 6:22 PM

Review by Pipeline girl:

I have been on methotrexate for 2 1/2 years, I cleared up within 2 months and have stayed cleared up! Knowing you can only have so many grams in a certain amount of time makes me sad because soon I will have to stop taking it and switch to something different. I am 39 and have had psoriasis since I was 21. I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and feel normal. Methotrexate has given me my freedom back and I have had no side effects. If you have psoriasis you should give it a try, for me it's been so worth it.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It works great! I have had Psoriasis all my adult life and only two things have worked. The first was the original Skin Cap spray from Spain but that disappeared after the U.S. government got involved. This was second. I have been on methrotrexate 2.5mg tablets for 6 months and was fully clear within the first month. No stomach problems and no other side effects. If you suffer from psoriasis, do yourself a favor and find a doctor that will work with you to try it.

May 26, 2012 1:23 AM

I have been on 15mg methotrexate for one year for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. My psoriasis was mild to moderate and is a little better but I was in a lot of pain from the arthritis and this medicine has helped me so much. I would say my pain went from a 9 to a 3 on a scale of 1- 10. Only side effect is stomach upset and I am considering switching to injections.

November 3, 2011 3:49 PM

Review by dw-massachusetts:

I have had psorisis all my life (45 yrs). I have been a methotrexate user for 12 years. Before I started using methotrexate I was covered about 90%. Today it is about 1%. Over the years along with blood work. I have had 3 liver biopsy. I have had no side effect.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2011 3:06 PM

I have had psoriasis for over 40 years, and although it's just on my elbows and legs, I have tried all the usual remedies (topicals, light therapy, etc.). I tried methotrexate this spring and in a matter of weeks, my psoriasis began to clear up. My doctor has me go for blood-work every month or so to make sure the methotrexate isn't affecting my liver. We have decided to back off of the methotrexate during the winter in order to give my body a break. But, I'll be anxious to begin it again come spring!

August 23, 2011 5:49 PM

Review by Bicol treat:

I have been in methotrexate for 6 weeks now. So far, itchiness has been reduced significantly; lesions in my lower leg have dried up (light brown now); other lesions appear to be clearing up though slowly. Side effects to me are nausea, feeling giddy and occasional headache though not severe. May I ask those who are in the same medication: how long did it take for all lesions to be cleared? about 70% of my body has psoriasis. Thank you. .

July 24, 2011 6:13 AM

Review by Wandrer:

I have had severe psoriasis on my hands, elbows, and heels for the past 2 years. Came out of nowhere. Tried everything out there (steroids, antihistamines, light treatments (two periods of it) So now I'm on this medicine. It's only for the second week, but the only difference I see is getting a urinary tract infection. Hopefully I will see improvement soon.

June 29, 2011 4:21 AM

Review by kog:

I started on methotrexate tablets at first but they made me feel very sick so was put on injection made me feel a lot better.

December 28, 2010 8:44 AM

Review by pokkattu:

Methotraxate is very useful for psoriasis. I have been taking 20 mg every week.

October 17, 2010 11:02 AM

Review by kimbak:

I have had psoriatic arthritis since age 10. The deformities in my hands are very, very severe. I have taken methotrexate for about 6 weeks, and don't notice a difference, except have been feeling sick to my stomach, tired, and bowel - movements are painful and a little blood is visible. Kinda scary--I see my rhematologist in a few weeks. Psoriasis patches seem burning or itchier.

March 26, 2010 6:50 PM

Review by wildkatnky:

I have had psoriasis for over 10 years and for the first 5 years it was very mild, but in 2005 it quickly got worse and covered 70% of my body in various spots such as my entire scalp, under my breasts, on my elbows and knees, in my pelvic area and a few other random spots. I was prescribed (5) 25mg pills (1x wk) of methotrexate after trying every cream imaginable and the photo light therapy. The medication made me extremely sick to my stomach. After seeing some improvement my dermatologist recommended I try the tanning bed along with the medication. Within 6 months my psoriasis was completely gone. 4 years after being off the medicines it has come back. It is worse than before and I am taking the medicines and am getting sick a lot. Hope it works again.

February 4, 2010 9:22 PM