User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Methotrexate Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 232 medications used in the treatment of Psoriasis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Psoriasis

"I've been taking this medicine for 9 weeks now. I'm taking 7.5mg once a week but have seen NO difference whatsoever! All I seem to be getting is little boils everywhere, sickness, nausea and weight gain! :("

kuli (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed with severe advanced plaque psoriasis in Dec, 2014. I was 60% covered when I first went to my dermatologist. By the end of Mar, 2015 after trying one ointment after another I was 95% covered, in pain (felt like 3rd degree sunburn), the itching was like a million fire ant bites 24/7. I couldn't lay down or sleep. The doctor started me on Methotrexate in May. Within 6 wks, I was totally clear and still am. (10/18/15) I take 2-2.5mg tablets Mon AM & again Mon PM then 1 Tues AM for a total of 12.5 mg a wk. I also take 1-1mg Folic Acid every day. I go in for follow ups and blood work every 3 mths but I'm fine now.... thanks to Methotrexate."

TPCDSecretary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2015

"I have been taking a 15 mg weekly dose (three doses of 5 mg at 12 hour intervals once a week) for five weeks now. My psoriasis -- pretty heavy scaling on all joints, and "splatter" over pretty much the whole body, which I've had for 18 years (I'm 51) -- has gone almost completely (still a little bit on elbows, knees, and ankles; hands and rest of body are completely clear). Yes, early days, but hopefully.... My only suggestion is to get empty gelatine capsules (or gelatine substitute if you are vegetarian; harder to get hold of) and put the tablets in them before taking. Helps avoid stomach upset."

AndyW September 3, 2015

"I started methotrexate in September 2014 as my body was 75% covered with psoriasis and I had tried every topical/light treatment going. The drug worked wonders and I couldn't believe how my skin was clearing up, by jan/feb I'm actually wearing dresses without tights and short sleeves (especially at work which I'd never done before) the only downside was that the day after I took methotrexate I felt so tired I've ended up having days off work because of it, I decided to come off it in about may 2015 and am now waiting to try a new drug Adalumimab (spelling!?) and my skin has come back worse from methotrexate I'm in so much pain and I'm covered in guttate :(."

wrighth2009 August 7, 2015

"I have suffered with psoriasis for 30 years and have tried every possible lotion potion shampoo etc that my dermatologist has recommended - I started taking 10mg methotrexate once per week only 1 month ago - I have not noticed any reduction In scale patches and I am still quite itchy - is this Normal??"

Snowflake shoulders August 1, 2015

"i was getting suicidal from severe scalp psoriasis methotrexate cleared it up,my bald spts went away but for a week ive noticed hair loss and patches coming back,i'm so upset"

karencool July 15, 2015

"Just started the 15mg dose taken as 6 X 2.5mg tablets. 1st week taking them I had explosive diarrhea after 1 hour of taking medication. I hoped it was coincidence. 1 week later I am already seeing an improvement in my psariosis. I took the dosage this week on an empty stomach and with in an hour stomach cramps and diarrhea. I am going to stick with it until my appointment with dermatologist when I will ask for injections instead. I did have very mild nausea and a slightly fuzzy head after. I will keep u all updated"

hopeful irish man June 9, 2015

"68 year old male who has had Psoriasis for 46 years with coverage up to 90% of my body. No one would initially R(x) me methotrexate so I flew to Trinidad from Canada to see a doc there that would prescribe it. After the initial treatment I was totally free for three years then it came back. I was on every research pgm my cream passes could put me on PUVA, Soralyn, vit A, coal tar, retanoic acid, that stuff that turns everything purple (can't recall name). Finally I had to see a head shrinker as I was fairly emotionally messed up. He R(x)ed me methotrexate 2.5x3 every 12 hours for 36 hours, said not to drink and that I should get liver bios. I've had 10 invasive liver bios in 46 years 10 years ago I said no thanks no more. I'm clear."

MickSAus May 31, 2015

"Age 59, F, living N W Eire. No history of psoriasis until it struck 2 yrs ago. Small plaques on scalp, left elbow, then palms of hands, fingers & soles of feet. Itchy, shredding skin, burning as if stung by nettles. Open, painful cracks. Emollients, lotions, prescription creams had no effect. Water & detergents irritated. Touch & walking agony. Latex gloves for shower/chores, cotton gloves at work. Dermatologist found 'debilitating stage 2 psoriatic arthritis' prescribed 2.5 Methotrexate x6 once wkly plus Folic Acid and bloods checked wkly. Now 7th week. Plus: using hands & walking, no irritation. Neg: tired, poor focus, urinary infections, worse in bad weather, still avoiding water/detergents. Conclusion: Highly recommend Methotrexate"

NW Eire (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"Started with pill form of methotrexate at 15 mg dosage per week. Moved to injection form and increased dosage to 25mg per week. Seen lots of improvement on my psoriasis. Tired the day and day after injection but not concerned. Stomach a bit irritated but a little drawback for the good benefits."

brooklin kid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

"I have autoimmune disease and at the age of 65 developed sudden onset psoriasis on my body (arms, neck, chest, legs, ankles, scalp). Within one month of methotrexate treatment (.05 cc once a week) the psoriasis was noticeably disappearing. I have been taking a weekly dose for six months now and have had excellent results. I am also taking Folic Acid and have blood testing done about every 45 days. At this point I have had no adverse side affects and am grateful that I have relief from the psoriasis. In addition, the drug has given me moderate relief from hand and foot joint pain."

Equis February 11, 2015

Methotrexate LPF Sodium (methotrexate): "Seeing marked improvement in little over 48 hours of receiving injection. Psoriasis is 2/3 s the coloration as before . After 54 years of having this I am pleasantly surprised. Thought it would work much slower. At this point I am thrilled. No side effects yet !"

Juju a October 6, 2014

"I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 19years old now in my 40s I have tried everything on the market, been on methotrexate since New Year's Day and I am so happy to say that it has nearly all gone. I holiday with all my friends and don't feel embarrassed, I am so happy. I would recommend, it's a slow process but five months in and pretty much clear. No side effects, tired on day of medication but that's no issue."

Mrs DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I live in the UK & have had plaque psoriasis for 20 yrs. After various lotions, UVB & PUVA, my knees & elbows became infected and I could hardly walk or sleep with the discomfort. As I also have depression, my dermatologist decided on prescribing methotrexate as my quality of life was so severely affected. I take 15mg tablets once a week, within a month it had all but gone, & has remained that way. It has been a year since I started, it's such a relief not to think about my knees all the time! I also take folic acid, & the skin on my face has become quite oily, but it's definitely worth it. I've recently noticed the few patches I have left are beginning to increase in size, but I hope this improves with the arrival of summer!"

LeopardHat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2014

"Tried all other methods for relief of psoriasis, 80% of body. Have been on methotrexate for 5.5 weeks, belly, back, chest and forearms are all clear, very mild psoriasis that isn't red or irritated on upper arms and lower legs. My confidence and self esteem has increased heaps, excited to go for a swim 2nd time since I've had psoriasis (7 years). Only had bad fatigue for first few weeks, haven't drank any alcohol, healthy diet with minimal junk food, and nausea if I eat something really, fatty eg. pizza. Skin colour isn't yellowing nor getting black under the eyes, or anything else relating to bad liver. Would definitely recommend this medication. "

Kimmy9519 January 6, 2014

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a baby with "Cradle Cap.'' It was left untreated until I was about 21. I have tried every cream and t-gel out there. Nothing cleared it up fully. Since I turned 24 the condition has spread to other parts of my body, usually parts that don%u2019t get much light. Psoriasis is terrible and affects everyone so differently. This condition has kept me from getting close to people and even kept me from going to hair dressers. Finally I decided to start this medicine. I'm currently on my fourth week of 15mg oral methotrexate. I have noticed a huge decrease in itching and my patches seem to be not as scaly. I really hope this works, so far so good."

scaly girl (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug greatly helped my psoriatic arthritis, but not the plaque poriasis, which always came back. I've been through the scrip topicals, light treatments, Amiveve, etc. I was 98% covered. Why did not a single doctor ever tell me NOT to touch beer???? If you drink beer put it DOWN and see how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and effects the immune system. For topical relief? Try OTC Boudreaux's Butt Paste baby diaper rash cream, which far outshines Dovonex. Scalp treatment? Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. If you are severely covered add zinc or zinc supplements to your diet. I haven't gone to a derm in years and I am clear!!!!"

Kimber321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had psoriasis since I can remember, last year after a foot injury I developed psoriatic arthritis. Since it has spread to both feet, both knees, one hand and lower back. Leaving me hardly being able to walk at 30. I started methotrexate 4 weeks ago and it is helping a lot. Only side effects for me are fatigue. I do 1 ml injections once a week. If you have PsA, get on methotrexate. If you can handle the needles injections are the way to go."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2013

"Started taking methotrexate approx. 1 and a 1/2 weeks ago. Already have seen significant improvements. I have had over 75% coverage of psoriasis from head to toe since my teens and I am now 45. Minor troubling side effect include slight nausea, bad fatigue and dizziness. These clear up after I finish my three day treatment. Positive outweighs the negative. I am scheduled for my first liver test on Oct 1st. In my opinion ...worth it!"

Arouran Moon (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2013

"During the Christchurch earthquakes my mother (who's had psoriasis all her life) and myself broke out big time. We found a specialist and got put on this. It cleared up in a matter on 2 weeks for mum, for me it was 3-4 weeks. We both have had no side effects. However, now 1 yr later after moving to Auckland I can't find a doctor who will supply it to me. One week from being off it and has all come back. Just want to be a normal 20 yr old. If you got a doctor who prescribes this, don't let them go."

stargirl589 July 29, 2013

"I am just diagnosed with psoriasis on May 2013 and I am on my 3rd week of methotrexate and so far it cleared the psoriasis on my neck and under my breast. It stops the wetness and flakes and the ones in my arm and tummy are lesser in flakes. I just hope that my dermatologist will allow me to continue the medicine, but it depends on the lab results on my liver."

laurenban July 22, 2013

"I have been suffering with psoriasis for 4 years now and with each year it keeps on getting worse. The guttate psoriasis covers 80% of my body. I have tried ointments, light therapy and now methotrexate. All treatments work for a while but oddly enough the psoriasis comes back with vengeance. New spots appear. My dermatologist explained to me that it takes 3 months for methotrexate to work. It slightly cleared up my Psoriasis the first month but on the third month my psoriasis came back even worse. I'm glad to read that this medicine has done wonders for many but it just didn't work for me."

ARn26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2013

"Just started a week ago. Was nervous regarding side effects but bit the nerves. Notice there is no flaking after one week. Although still itchy hopefully that goes away. Just felt like I was exhausted faster but want to keep giving it a try. Tried everything else."

azure71 June 6, 2013

"I've had severe psoriasis which covered me head to toe since I was 5 I'm now 30. Tried every trick in the book from lotions and potions, light therapy & homeopathic remedies. I put off taking methotrexate for fear of becoming a glow in the dark alien with the side effects! Finally gave in last year and so glad I did. It cleared within 3 weeks. I'm now on 15mg a week and only have slight patches of psoriasis dotted about. Had a few bad headaches now and then but nothing extreme. A little wobbly on the blood tests but nothing life threatening just yet. Much better quality of life at the min, and much less hoovering haha."

fluffynut (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My mother broke out seemed like overnight with red bumps that quickly turned into dry patches. The dermatologist knew right away what it was. We have been on the Methotrexate for 6 weeks and the flaking is totally gone and is healing. The dose was 2 Friday morning, 2 Friday evening and 2 Saturday morning. Only side effect was appetite and very tired for 2 days."

oneta March 30, 2013