User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Methotrexate Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 229 medications used in the treatment of Psoriasis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Psoriasis

"i was getting suicidal from severe scalp psoriasis methotrexate cleared it up,my bald spts went away but for a week ive noticed hair loss and patches coming back,i'm so upset"

karencool July 15, 2015

"Just started the 15mg dose taken as 6 X 2.5mg tablets. 1st week taking them I had explosive diarrhea after 1 hour of taking medication. I hoped it was coincidence. 1 week later I am already seeing an improvement in my psariosis. I took the dosage this week on an empty stomach and with in an hour stomach cramps and diarrhea. I am going to stick with it until my appointment with dermatologist when I will ask for injections instead. I did have very mild nausea and a slightly fuzzy head after. I will keep u all updated"

hopeful irish man June 9, 2015

"68 year old male who has had Psoriasis for 46 years with coverage up to 90% of my body. No one would initially R(x) me methotrexate so I flew to Trinidad from Canada to see a doc there that would prescribe it. After the initial treatment I was totally free for three years then it came back. I was on every research pgm my cream passes could put me on PUVA, Soralyn, vit A, coal tar, retanoic acid, that stuff that turns everything purple (can't recall name). Finally I had to see a head shrinker as I was fairly emotionally messed up. He R(x)ed me methotrexate 2.5x3 every 12 hours for 36 hours, said not to drink and that I should get liver bios. I've had 10 invasive liver bios in 46 years 10 years ago I said no thanks no more. I'm clear."

MickSAus May 31, 2015

"Age 59, F, living N W Eire. No history of psoriasis until it struck 2 yrs ago. Small plaques on scalp, left elbow, then palms of hands, fingers & soles of feet. Itchy, shredding skin, burning as if stung by nettles. Open, painful cracks. Emollients, lotions, prescription creams had no effect. Water & detergents irritated. Touch & walking agony. Latex gloves for shower/chores, cotton gloves at work. Dermatologist found 'debilitating stage 2 psoriatic arthritis' prescribed 2.5 Methotrexate x6 once wkly plus Folic Acid and bloods checked wkly. Now 7th week. Plus: using hands & walking, no irritation. Neg: tired, poor focus, urinary infections, worse in bad weather, still avoiding water/detergents. Conclusion: Highly recommend Methotrexate"

NW Eire (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"Started with pill form of methotrexate at 15 mg dosage per week. Moved to injection form and increased dosage to 25mg per week. Seen lots of improvement on my psoriasis. Tired the day and day after injection but not concerned. Stomach a bit irritated but a little drawback for the good benefits."

brooklin kid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

"I have autoimmune disease and at the age of 65 developed sudden onset psoriasis on my body (arms, neck, chest, legs, ankles, scalp). Within one month of methotrexate treatment (.05 cc once a week) the psoriasis was noticeably disappearing. I have been taking a weekly dose for six months now and have had excellent results. I am also taking Folic Acid and have blood testing done about every 45 days. At this point I have had no adverse side affects and am grateful that I have relief from the psoriasis. In addition, the drug has given me moderate relief from hand and foot joint pain."

Equis February 11, 2015

Methotrexate LPF Sodium (methotrexate): "Seeing marked improvement in little over 48 hours of receiving injection. Psoriasis is 2/3 s the coloration as before . After 54 years of having this I am pleasantly surprised. Thought it would work much slower. At this point I am thrilled. No side effects yet !"

Juju a October 6, 2014

"I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 19years old now in my 40s I have tried everything on the market, been on methotrexate since New Year's Day and I am so happy to say that it has nearly all gone. I holiday with all my friends and don't feel embarrassed, I am so happy. I would recommend, it's a slow process but five months in and pretty much clear. No side effects, tired on day of medication but that's no issue."

Mrs DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2014

"I live in the UK & have had plaque psoriasis for 20 yrs. After various lotions, UVB & PUVA, my knees & elbows became infected and I could hardly walk or sleep with the discomfort. As I also have depression, my dermatologist decided on prescribing methotrexate as my quality of life was so severely affected. I take 15mg tablets once a week, within a month it had all but gone, & has remained that way. It has been a year since I started, it's such a relief not to think about my knees all the time! I also take folic acid, & the skin on my face has become quite oily, but it's definitely worth it. I've recently noticed the few patches I have left are beginning to increase in size, but I hope this improves with the arrival of summer!"

LeopardHat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2014

"Tried all other methods for relief of psoriasis, 80% of body. Have been on methotrexate for 5.5 weeks, belly, back, chest and forearms are all clear, very mild psoriasis that isn't red or irritated on upper arms and lower legs. My confidence and self esteem has increased heaps, excited to go for a swim 2nd time since I've had psoriasis (7 years). Only had bad fatigue for first few weeks, haven't drank any alcohol, healthy diet with minimal junk food, and nausea if I eat something really, fatty eg. pizza. Skin colour isn't yellowing nor getting black under the eyes, or anything else relating to bad liver. Would definitely recommend this medication. "

Kimmy9519 January 6, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a baby with "Cradle Cap.'' It was left untreated until I was about 21. I have tried every cream and t-gel out there. Nothing cleared it up fully. Since I turned 24 the condition has spread to other parts of my body, usually parts that don%u2019t get much light. Psoriasis is terrible and affects everyone so differently. This condition has kept me from getting close to people and even kept me from going to hair dressers. Finally I decided to start this medicine. I'm currently on my fourth week of 15mg oral methotrexate. I have noticed a huge decrease in itching and my patches seem to be not as scaly. I really hope this works, so far so good."

scaly girl (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2013

"This drug greatly helped my psoriatic arthritis, but not the plaque poriasis, which always came back. I've been through the scrip topicals, light treatments, Amiveve, etc. I was 98% covered. Why did not a single doctor ever tell me NOT to touch beer???? If you drink beer put it DOWN and see how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and effects the immune system. For topical relief? Try OTC Boudreaux's Butt Paste baby diaper rash cream, which far outshines Dovonex. Scalp treatment? Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. If you are severely covered add zinc or zinc supplements to your diet. I haven't gone to a derm in years and I am clear!!!!"

Kimber321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2013

"I have had psoriasis since I can remember, last year after a foot injury I developed psoriatic arthritis. Since it has spread to both feet, both knees, one hand and lower back. Leaving me hardly being able to walk at 30. I started methotrexate 4 weeks ago and it is helping a lot. Only side effects for me are fatigue. I do 1 ml injections once a week. If you have PsA, get on methotrexate. If you can handle the needles injections are the way to go."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2013

"Started taking methotrexate approx. 1 and a 1/2 weeks ago. Already have seen significant improvements. I have had over 75% coverage of psoriasis from head to toe since my teens and I am now 45. Minor troubling side effect include slight nausea, bad fatigue and dizziness. These clear up after I finish my three day treatment. Positive outweighs the negative. I am scheduled for my first liver test on Oct 1st. In my opinion ...worth it!"

Arouran Moon (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2013

"During the Christchurch earthquakes my mother (who's had psoriasis all her life) and myself broke out big time. We found a specialist and got put on this. It cleared up in a matter on 2 weeks for mum, for me it was 3-4 weeks. We both have had no side effects. However, now 1 yr later after moving to Auckland I can't find a doctor who will supply it to me. One week from being off it and has all come back. Just want to be a normal 20 yr old. If you got a doctor who prescribes this, don't let them go."

stargirl589 July 29, 2013

"I am just diagnosed with psoriasis on May 2013 and I am on my 3rd week of methotrexate and so far it cleared the psoriasis on my neck and under my breast. It stops the wetness and flakes and the ones in my arm and tummy are lesser in flakes. I just hope that my dermatologist will allow me to continue the medicine, but it depends on the lab results on my liver."

laurenban July 22, 2013

"I have been suffering with psoriasis for 4 years now and with each year it keeps on getting worse. The guttate psoriasis covers 80% of my body. I have tried ointments, light therapy and now methotrexate. All treatments work for a while but oddly enough the psoriasis comes back with vengeance. New spots appear. My dermatologist explained to me that it takes 3 months for methotrexate to work. It slightly cleared up my Psoriasis the first month but on the third month my psoriasis came back even worse. I'm glad to read that this medicine has done wonders for many but it just didn't work for me."

ARn26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2013

"Just started a week ago. Was nervous regarding side effects but bit the nerves. Notice there is no flaking after one week. Although still itchy hopefully that goes away. Just felt like I was exhausted faster but want to keep giving it a try. Tried everything else."

azure71 June 6, 2013

"I've had severe psoriasis which covered me head to toe since I was 5 I'm now 30. Tried every trick in the book from lotions and potions, light therapy & homeopathic remedies. I put off taking methotrexate for fear of becoming a glow in the dark alien with the side effects! Finally gave in last year and so glad I did. It cleared within 3 weeks. I'm now on 15mg a week and only have slight patches of psoriasis dotted about. Had a few bad headaches now and then but nothing extreme. A little wobbly on the blood tests but nothing life threatening just yet. Much better quality of life at the min, and much less hoovering haha."

fluffynut (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2013

"My mother broke out seemed like overnight with red bumps that quickly turned into dry patches. The dermatologist knew right away what it was. We have been on the Methotrexate for 6 weeks and the flaking is totally gone and is healing. The dose was 2 Friday morning, 2 Friday evening and 2 Saturday morning. Only side effect was appetite and very tired for 2 days."

oneta March 30, 2013

"I have been on methotrexate for 2 1/2 years, I cleared up within 2 months and have stayed cleared up! Knowing you can only have so many grams in a certain amount of time makes me sad because soon I will have to stop taking it and switch to something different. I am 39 and have had psoriasis since I was 21. I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and feel normal. Methotrexate has given me my freedom back and I have had no side effects. If you have psoriasis you should give it a try, for me it's been so worth it."

Pipeline girl January 16, 2013

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works great! I have had Psoriasis all my adult life and only two things have worked. The first was the original Skin Cap spray from Spain but that disappeared after the U.S. government got involved. This was second. I have been on methrotrexate 2.5mg tablets for 6 months and was fully clear within the first month. No stomach problems and no other side effects. If you suffer from psoriasis, do yourself a favor and find a doctor that will work with you to try it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2012

"I have been on 15mg methotrexate for one year for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. My psoriasis was mild to moderate and is a little better but I was in a lot of pain from the arthritis and this medicine has helped me so much. I would say my pain went from a 9 to a 3 on a scale of 1- 10. Only side effect is stomach upset and I am considering switching to injections."

Anonymous November 3, 2011

"I have had psorisis all my life (45 yrs). I have been a methotrexate user for 12 years. Before I started using methotrexate I was covered about 90%. Today it is about 1%. Over the years along with blood work. I have had 3 liver biopsy. I have had no side effect."

dw-massachusetts September 4, 2011

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had psoriasis for over 40 years, and although it's just on my elbows and legs, I have tried all the usual remedies (topicals, light therapy, etc.). I tried methotrexate this spring and in a matter of weeks, my psoriasis began to clear up. My doctor has me go for blood-work every month or so to make sure the methotrexate isn't affecting my liver. We have decided to back off of the methotrexate during the winter in order to give my body a break. But, I'll be anxious to begin it again come spring!"

Anonymous August 23, 2011