User Reviews for Methotrexate (Page 2)

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Ectopic Pregnancy 3 reviews 0 medications

Cogan's Syndrome 1 reviews 9 medications

Scleroderma 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Methotrexate reviews 107 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on this medication for about 2 months now. I was taking prednisone before but that wouldn't help much. After the second week of taking methotrexate I can honestly say I am pain free. I can actually enjoy doing all the stuff I used to do before being diagnosed with RA. Before starting this medication I would experience horrible pain in my shoulders, hands, fingers, hips and ankles. I would have a rough time getting through the day. This medication works wonderfully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Methotrexate 25mg for 6 weeks now, but 6 month for 20 mg and I have seen much improvement with my back pain. I do have severe rib and chest pain still, but the back pain is much better. I feel like a zombie though every day I can barely make it through the day. I am so upset about my hair. I have cut almost 6 inches off and still have dry damaged hair from the medicine. I loose handfuls of hair daily and the gi problems sometimes are pretty bad. So I don't know if the side effects out way the benefits. I wish I could have someone help Me fix these side effects and I would be ok. I think the fatigued is one of the worse though. :( ...."

Jenn Jenn June 2, 2015

For Psoriasis: "68 year old male who has had Psoriasis for 46 years with coverage up to 90% of my body. No one would initially R(x) me methotrexate so I flew to Trinidad from Canada to see a doc there that would prescribe it. After the initial treatment I was totally free for three years then it came back. I was on every research pgm my cream passes could put me on PUVA, Soralyn, vit A, coal tar, retanoic acid, that stuff that turns everything purple (can't recall name). Finally I had to see a head shrinker as I was fairly emotionally messed up. He R(x)ed me methotrexate 2.5x3 every 12 hours for 36 hours, said not to drink and that I should get liver bios. I've had 10 invasive liver bios in 46 years 10 years ago I said no thanks no more. I'm clear."

MickSAus May 31, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Age 59, F, living N W Eire. No history of psoriasis until it struck 2 yrs ago. Small plaques on scalp, left elbow, then palms of hands, fingers & soles of feet. Itchy, shredding skin, burning as if stung by nettles. Open, painful cracks. Emollients, lotions, prescription creams had no effect. Water & detergents irritated. Touch & walking agony. Latex gloves for shower/chores, cotton gloves at work. Dermatologist found 'debilitating stage 2 psoriatic arthritis' prescribed 2.5 Methotrexate x6 once wkly plus Folic Acid and bloods checked wkly. Now 7th week. Plus: using hands & walking, no irritation. Neg: tired, poor focus, urinary infections, worse in bad weather, still avoiding water/detergents. Conclusion: Highly recommend Methotrexate"

NW Eire (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Started with pill form of methotrexate at 15 mg dosage per week. Moved to injection form and increased dosage to 25mg per week. Seen lots of improvement on my psoriasis. Tired the day and day after injection but not concerned. Stomach a bit irritated but a little drawback for the good benefits."

brooklin kid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm on my 3rd month and I do believe it's helping but the pain is still there. I have noticed as the dosage has increased it takes longer to bounce back and I'm unable to cut hair as that was my profession before diagnosis. I hope in time I will be able to get back to work but I am suffering several side effects. (hair falling out, unusually dry hair, quick to have to rest unlike before and several others) I was completely bed ridden before starting the medication so needless to say I don't want to try anything else because I am scared to take the chance that it won't work at all. I know I'm just beginning and hope in time the side effects will fade."

Jenni bug April 2, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "A couple of years ago my husband was at the point where he was limping severely, with swollen joints in his hands and feet. He was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and began taking methotrexate at 20 mg once a week; he has since cut back to 17.5 mg. It has made a huge difference in his functioning, and he's pretty much back to normal. (Regular strength training at the YMCA has also helped a lot). He was also told to take folic acid once a day, which he does. The only negative is that his hair has thinned quite a bit, which is a common side effect. He is in his 70s."

AnonCat March 19, 2015

For Neoplastic Diseases: "I am taking this for a systemic autoimmune disease. 4 injections so far of 40mg once a week, I can move around. It takes a while to start working, but it's working. Doc said if I take this prescribed overload of folic acid I won't lose my hair. It's a chemotherapy. It makes me nauseous. It makes me tired. But so does the disease. Is giving me infections of the skin, mouth, and eyes. Doc says that might just be because my body is one big infection fighting itself all at once."

Annie Nonomous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I have autoimmune disease and at the age of 65 developed sudden onset psoriasis on my body (arms, neck, chest, legs, ankles, scalp). Within one month of methotrexate treatment (.05 cc once a week) the psoriasis was noticeably disappearing. I have been taking a weekly dose for six months now and have had excellent results. I am also taking Folic Acid and have blood testing done about every 45 days. At this point I have had no adverse side affects and am grateful that I have relief from the psoriasis. In addition, the drug has given me moderate relief from hand and foot joint pain."

Equis February 11, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have only been taking the Methotrexate since the end of September and I am on 25mg per week. I was also prescribed the Folic Acid but can't take that as it causes such an upset stomach that I stopped it all together. So far the only symptoms I have had were in the beginning and that was feeling nausea, and very tired the day after taking it. It has helped with the swelling and pain and I have no pain in my knees anymore and just a bit in the hands, wrists and my one foot."

Cocacolababy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Methotrexate LPF Sodium (methotrexate) for Psoriasis: "Seeing marked improvement in little over 48 hours of receiving injection. Psoriasis is 2/3 s the coloration as before . After 54 years of having this I am pleasantly surprised. Thought it would work much slower. At this point I am thrilled. No side effects yet !"

Juju a October 6, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Just taken my third dose of methotrexate this week (upped to 20mg after 2 weeks on 10mg)....take folic acid 5mg 3 x week. So far side effects have been manageable. Not sure if it's the medication or the steroid injections but I am starting to feel like my old self again. No swelling and little pain now so am now able to do the things I used to take for granted again. Feel hopeful about this medicine."

Dormouse (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking methotrexate for two weeks now. Before taking this, I had pain in my hips, knees, ankle and could not walk on the heel of one of my feet. The pain was really bad. I am now walking on my foot again with little pain and do not feel so fatigued and tired, I do feel tired and a bit dizzy for a few days after the medication but not too bad. I am only taking 3 a week at moment, and about to take four, then five and six. Hopefully I wont have to many side affects."

maseymae (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on methotrexate for almost a year. I am up to 20 mg a week. I take folic acid and leucovorin calcium 12 hours after the methotrexate. I was taking Enbrel but now take Xeljanz. Before the biologics the methotrexate wasn't working very well. I take prednisone too. I am only 36 but at least I can function better than I did. I still flare about twice a month. I suffer side effects from methotrexate. My hair has severely thinned out and I get very tired after taking it. It looks like I'll be on it for a long time tho. Hopefully it gets better. I would really Like my hair to come back."

ACS3 July 5, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on methotrexate for two months now and have slowly increased my dose to 17.5mg/week. I started on a daily dose of folic acid but switched to a weekly dose of Leucovorin due to dizziness a couple of days after my Methotrexate dose. My pain and inflammation are gone and I feel so much better. I am once again able to do the things I love and have no side effects. I'm RF negative, but my rheumatologist chose to treat me quickly and aggressively based on symptoms and a high CCP. I'm thankful she did. I hope Methotrexate will be a long term solution to treat my rheumatoid arthritis."

Dpalmer63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 19years old now in my 40s I have tried everything on the market, been on methotrexate since New Year's Day and I am so happy to say that it has nearly all gone. I holiday with all my friends and don't feel embarrassed, I am so happy. I would recommend, it's a slow process but five months in and pretty much clear. No side effects, tired on day of medication but that's no issue."

Mrs DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I live in the UK & have had plaque psoriasis for 20 yrs. After various lotions, UVB & PUVA, my knees & elbows became infected and I could hardly walk or sleep with the discomfort. As I also have depression, my dermatologist decided on prescribing methotrexate as my quality of life was so severely affected. I take 15mg tablets once a week, within a month it had all but gone, & has remained that way. It has been a year since I started, it's such a relief not to think about my knees all the time! I also take folic acid, & the skin on my face has become quite oily, but it's definitely worth it. I've recently noticed the few patches I have left are beginning to increase in size, but I hope this improves with the arrival of summer!"

LeopardHat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for 35 years. I finally found a rheumatologist that was very good. I started on Plaquenil, which was great, but I developed an allergy to it. Switched to methotrexate oral, but had a hard time tolerating the nausea and diarrhea. Switched to injectable methotrexate, and had no nausea, limited diarrhea. It worked moderately well for the RA. Not completely pain free, but could do most things most days. I got cellulitis while on it, so had to go off for about 3 mos. When I went back to it, it didn't seem to work quite as well, and I realized I was experiencing more side effects than I was aware of the first time: thin skin, dermatitis, bruising, bleeding, hair falling out. New rheumatologist (my good one moved) decided to try Arava."

kpalchk (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "Tried all other methods for relief of psoriasis, 80% of body. Have been on methotrexate for 5.5 weeks, belly, back, chest and forearms are all clear, very mild psoriasis that isn't red or irritated on upper arms and lower legs. My confidence and self esteem has increased heaps, excited to go for a swim 2nd time since I've had psoriasis (7 years). Only had bad fatigue for first few weeks, haven't drank any alcohol, healthy diet with minimal junk food, and nausea if I eat something really, fatty eg. pizza. Skin colour isn't yellowing nor getting black under the eyes, or anything else relating to bad liver. Would definitely recommend this medication. "

Kimmy9519 January 6, 2014

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a baby with "Cradle Cap.'' It was left untreated until I was about 21. I have tried every cream and t-gel out there. Nothing cleared it up fully. Since I turned 24 the condition has spread to other parts of my body, usually parts that don%u2019t get much light. Psoriasis is terrible and affects everyone so differently. This condition has kept me from getting close to people and even kept me from going to hair dressers. Finally I decided to start this medicine. I'm currently on my fourth week of 15mg oral methotrexate. I have noticed a huge decrease in itching and my patches seem to be not as scaly. I really hope this works, so far so good."

scaly girl (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "This drug greatly helped my psoriatic arthritis, but not the plaque poriasis, which always came back. I've been through the scrip topicals, light treatments, Amiveve, etc. I was 98% covered. Why did not a single doctor ever tell me NOT to touch beer???? If you drink beer put it DOWN and see how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and effects the immune system. For topical relief? Try OTC Boudreaux's Butt Paste baby diaper rash cream, which far outshines Dovonex. Scalp treatment? Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. If you are severely covered add zinc or zinc supplements to your diet. I haven't gone to a derm in years and I am clear!!!!"

Kimber321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2013

For Psoriasis: "I have had psoriasis since I can remember, last year after a foot injury I developed psoriatic arthritis. Since it has spread to both feet, both knees, one hand and lower back. Leaving me hardly being able to walk at 30. I started methotrexate 4 weeks ago and it is helping a lot. Only side effects for me are fatigue. I do 1 ml injections once a week. If you have PsA, get on methotrexate. If you can handle the needles injections are the way to go."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2013

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I have been using 20 mg for over a year with few side effects. It didn't take away pain and stiffness 100%, so my doctor included Humira. With both meds I am virtually pain free, stiffness and inflamation gone. Before I began treatment, I couldn't tie my shoes, write a letter, or open a jar. Now all of those activities are effortless."

MoneyMan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2013

For Psoriasis: "Started taking methotrexate approx. 1 and a 1/2 weeks ago. Already have seen significant improvements. I have had over 75% coverage of psoriasis from head to toe since my teens and I am now 45. Minor troubling side effect include slight nausea, bad fatigue and dizziness. These clear up after I finish my three day treatment. Positive outweighs the negative. I am scheduled for my first liver test on Oct 1st. In my opinion ...worth it!"

Arouran Moon (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2013

For Psoriasis: "During the Christchurch earthquakes my mother (who's had psoriasis all her life) and myself broke out big time. We found a specialist and got put on this. It cleared up in a matter on 2 weeks for mum, for me it was 3-4 weeks. We both have had no side effects. However, now 1 yr later after moving to Auckland I can't find a doctor who will supply it to me. One week from being off it and has all come back. Just want to be a normal 20 yr old. If you got a doctor who prescribes this, don't let them go."

stargirl589 July 29, 2013