User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Small Cell Lung Cancer 0 reviews 6 medications

Trophoblastic Disease 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Uveitis 1 reviews 95 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methotrexate reviews 72 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Methotrexate

Rheumatrex Dose Pack (methotrexate) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Took methotrexate for 6 months after diagnosis for Rheumatoid arthritis, seemed to work fairly well for the pain/stiffness, but I had terrible side effects including nausea, fatigue, mood swings - almost couldn't get to work, coming up stairs felt like my feet weighed 500 pounds each - almost could not function at all. Now going to try in injectable form to see if that will not cause the side effects - hopeful.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2012 1:50 PM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I am female, 41, have been taking methotrexate for 2 months now. I was crippled, my hands fingers wrists ankles balls of my feet knees shoulders arms even my jaw. I could barely walk I couldn't unscrew lids, peel potatoes, do everyday chores people take for granted. My rheumatoid factor was 1380. After 1 month no change hopefully my 2nd reading it will come down. Anyway after 1 month on the medication my joint pains has disappeared thanks to Methotrexate. I take 10mg once weekly with folic acid next day. Worked for me. YAY!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2012 12:06 PM

Review by Uk lady (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have only been taking this medicine for a short while and the benefits are good so far. I am still able to keep working as a Paramedic which is physically demanding. Without my 20mg I slowly turn into a statue.

August 15, 2012 7:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Psoriasis: It works great! I have had Psoriasis all my adult life and only two things have worked. The first was the original Skin Cap spray from Spain but that disappeared after the U.S. government got involved. This was second. I have been on methrotrexate 2.5mg tablets for 6 months and was fully clear within the first month. No stomach problems and no other side effects. If you suffer from psoriasis, do yourself a favor and find a doctor that will work with you to try it.

May 26, 2012 1:23 AM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been taking the medication sine June 2011 I like it, but I'm always sick. It minimizes the pain and swelling, but it doesn't take it all away. I wake up every morning, and I can hardly move my ankles. I'm way to young to have to deal with this I'm only 22 years old. Some days I feel like I'm suffering, and if I'm sick I can't even walk.

March 1, 2012 8:01 PM

For Psoriatic Arthritis: Been on methotrexate for a few years, started with one pill than nine pills. Now I do injection 25mg weekly for about a year now. I know there is no cure and I am thankful this medicine has made it possible to chase grandson around daily.

February 17, 2012 7:16 AM

Review by sweetestfairy:

For Systemic Sclerosis: My daughter age 10 has this disease. She has been on methotrexate for almost a year. She started out 0.6mg now 10 plus Solu-Medrol infusions to stop or slow the process, suppress it I know it is helping to slow it down cause it is getting a bit worse. She has blood tests done monthly and when they raise her dose her blood gets tested in 2 weeks. We noticed this disease at age 3.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2012 9:35 AM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Started taking methotrexate 24th November 4 x 2.5mg weekly. Didn't feel to bad until Sat 3rd December and felt really ill. I had the flu jab as well hopefully things will improve but I was in bed from Saturday until today and I have a taste of metal in my mouth, I can't eat and haven't enjoyed a cup of tea. I also take the folic acid. I have lost 4lb in weight since Saturday.

December 6, 2011 6:00 PM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been taking this medicine since June and recently increased my dose. This medication has not worked for me at all. I continue to have pain and swelling in my wrist and fingers. The only thing that works for me is prednisone.

November 15, 2011 11:10 PM

For Psoriasis: I have been on 15mg methotrexate for one year for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. My psoriasis was mild to moderate and is a little better but I was in a lot of pain from the arthritis and this medicine has helped me so much. I would say my pain went from a 9 to a 3 on a scale of 1- 10. Only side effect is stomach upset and I am considering switching to injections.

November 3, 2011 3:49 PM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I'm 30 years old and have been on 20mg of methotrexate for 2 years now. While I have experienced some side effects (mainly abdominal pain) I would not and will not stop taking it. So far for me the benefits have far outweighed any costs of being on methotrexate. The disease activity has dropped and I have far less swelling in my wrists, fingers and shoulders and have been able to get back into bowling leagues which I love.

October 13, 2011 10:25 AM

Review by dw-massachusetts:

For Psoriasis: I have had psorisis all my life (45 yrs). I have been a methotrexate user for 12 years. Before I started using methotrexate I was covered about 90%. Today it is about 1%. Over the years along with blood work. I have had 3 liver biopsy. I have had no side effect.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2011 3:06 PM

For Psoriasis: I have had psoriasis for over 40 years, and although it's just on my elbows and legs, I have tried all the usual remedies (topicals, light therapy, etc.). I tried methotrexate this spring and in a matter of weeks, my psoriasis began to clear up. My doctor has me go for blood-work every month or so to make sure the methotrexate isn't affecting my liver. We have decided to back off of the methotrexate during the winter in order to give my body a break. But, I'll be anxious to begin it again come spring!

August 23, 2011 5:49 PM

Review by Bicol treat:

For Psoriasis: I have been in methotrexate for 6 weeks now. So far, itchiness has been reduced significantly; lesions in my lower leg have dried up (light brown now); other lesions appear to be clearing up though slowly. Side effects to me are nausea, feeling giddy and occasional headache though not severe. May I ask those who are in the same medication: how long did it take for all lesions to be cleared? about 70% of my body has psoriasis. Thank you. .

July 24, 2011 6:13 AM

Review by Wandrer:

For Psoriasis: I have had severe psoriasis on my hands, elbows, and heels for the past 2 years. Came out of nowhere. Tried everything out there (steroids, antihistamines, light treatments (two periods of it) So now I'm on this medicine. It's only for the second week, but the only difference I see is getting a urinary tract infection. Hopefully I will see improvement soon.

June 29, 2011 4:21 AM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have taken this medicine for over 10 years, so far it has helped stop the disease.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2011 12:28 PM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Taking 12.5mg/week along with Prilosec due to stomach ulcers from too many NSAIDS. Works well on the rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Have been bumping the dose up from 7.5 mg/week and have now run into low platelet count 85 when it should run between 150 and 400. I'm backing off of the methotrexate to see if I get a recovery of my platelet levels. Did a two month stint without methotrexate and was in massive pain (all the Vicodin in the world could not touch it). It works but hopefully I'll be able to get by on the lower dose and get a comeback in platelet levels.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2011 3:21 PM

Review by peter webb:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: This medicine is wonderful. Without it I could not move my fingers and wrists and my knees and ankles. I feel normal and people cannot believe that I have RA. The only down side is my skin on my arms is thinned and very easy to bruise and bleed and marks but as this is a small price to pay for a normal lifestyle and to be able to work.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2011 2:16 AM

Review by DHollenbach:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I take 20mg methotrexate each week and it is so wonderful to feel 'normal' again. I have no side effects with it and all my pain is gone. Love it!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2011 3:05 PM

For Ectopic Pregnancy: Felt like the top of my head was sore and got electrical sensations throughout the spot, on the top of my head, 2 days after injection and worsening on the 3rd day of the injection.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2011 3:29 PM

Review by kog:

For Psoriasis: I started on methotrexate tablets at first but they made me feel very sick so was put on injection made me feel a lot better.

December 28, 2010 8:44 AM

Review by pokkattu:

For Psoriasis: Methotraxate is very useful for psoriasis. I have been taking 20 mg every week.

October 17, 2010 11:02 AM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: It definitely helps with the pain and mobility part of rheumatoid arthritis, but I am nauseous usually 2 or three days after I do the shot. I'm also tired a lot and feel weak after I take my weekly shot. Sometimes I don't take it consistently because I don't feel like being sick that week. I do enjoy it when my fingers actually bend though.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2010 1:32 PM

Review by kimbak:

For Psoriasis: I have had psoriatic arthritis since age 10. The deformities in my hands are very, very severe. I have taken methotrexate for about 6 weeks, and don't notice a difference, except have been feeling sick to my stomach, tired, and bowel - movements are painful and a little blood is visible. Kinda scary--I see my rhematologist in a few weeks. Psoriasis patches seem burning or itchier.

March 26, 2010 6:50 PM

Review by wildkatnky:

For Psoriasis: I have had psoriasis for over 10 years and for the first 5 years it was very mild, but in 2005 it quickly got worse and covered 70% of my body in various spots such as my entire scalp, under my breasts, on my elbows and knees, in my pelvic area and a few other random spots. I was prescribed (5) 25mg pills (1x wk) of methotrexate after trying every cream imaginable and the photo light therapy. The medication made me extremely sick to my stomach. After seeing some improvement my dermatologist recommended I try the tanning bed along with the medication. Within 6 months my psoriasis was completely gone. 4 years after being off the medicines it has come back. It is worse than before and I am taking the medicines and am getting sick a lot. Hope it works again.

February 4, 2010 9:22 PM