User Reviews for Fetzima

Learn more about Fetzima.

Fetzima Review Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fetzima to treat Depression

"I transitioned from Venlafaxine for Fetzima over 3 weeks. Migraines during this timeframe. I have been on only Fetzima for 5 weeks. My overall mood and ability to concentrate is much improved but the side effects are bothersome. One side effect not mentioned here is what I am guessing is an hormonal imbalance. My nipples are sensitive and swollen (I am a 58 yo male) and have outbreaks of acne mostly on my neck area. My blood pressure went for normal to hypertension stage one. Increased headaches (not migraine quality) and blurred vision. Fits of anger/irritated feelings especially when driving. But I do feel emotionally better than when taking Bupropion and Venlafaxine."

Chuck em June 22, 2015

"25, Male. I noticed the previous reviewer mentioned having ocular symptoms with Fetzima. I’ve also been having these issues. Specifically, I’ve had eye pain, a feeling of pressure behind the eyes and a tight feeling as if my eyes are about to pop out of my head. Other than the previous reviewer, I haven’t seen anyone else mention it, and it doesn’t seem to be an acknowledged side effect in the literature. I’ve had a number of other side effects, but they are manageable; this one is most troubling. I’ve been on the drug 3 months and I would have already quit except it’s the only drug (of many I’ve tried) that has helped my energy, focus and motivation. I will probably see an ophthalmologist before I decide whether to discontinue."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

"I've been on Fetzima for about 2 months. I've noticed improvement of my mood and general outlook, and have experienced some of the typical and more minor side effects, but the ocular symptoms are most worrisome. After about a month on this med, my lower right eye lid began twitching intermittently. It does so on a regular basis, and now I am experiencing a strange tightening in my eyes and blurred vision. It flares up randomly, and generally my eyes now feel like they're too big for their sockets. Progressive worsening concerns me as does permanent damage to my eyes. My doctor recommended a daily dosage of Magnesium and increased water intake. Unsure if I should continue to try and stabilize the symptoms, or stop all together!"

AXFL May 2, 2015

"Didn't help my anxiety at all although it does have serotonin in it. However, did help me see reality a bit clearer and begin to feel good emotoons again. Sadly had to get off of it because it caused an allergic reaction after four days with hives and itching. Also made me feel foggy brained, shame after spending $87 on a months worth and having to quit after four days."

Good for depeession not anxiety April 9, 2015

"I have been on cymbalta for years. Recently I went through a series of extreme life changes. Cymbalta didn't seem to be working. I went into a deep depression. My doctor switched me to fetzima. I am on day 10 my medication. I have notice extreme sweating and out burst of anger. I was more laid back on Cymbalta. I am hoping if I give it a little more time that maybe the effects will get better."

Jess B March 27, 2015

"I've been taking 40mg of Fetzima daily for the past 9 months. For me it's hands down the best antidepressant I've ever tried. My mood is significantly better and I have more energy. Most importantly it has lifted my need for other mood altering medicines. I have been sober for four months without really trying. Amazingly I no longer feel the need to "escape" reality. I hope and pray it continues to work as it's given me a glimpse of what life without addiction and depression can be. It's been life changing. As for side effects I have noticed an increase in irritability. I have had inconsistencies in the bedroom as well. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Overall well worth it for me!"

GrumpyMonk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2015

"Have been on many antidepressants, most either not effective enough or side effects were too much. I am on 40mg in 3rd month. On the side I have much more energy, I am no longer sleeping excessively, my anger/irritability is much less. Most important, my depression is much better and emotionally I feel much better. Now, Started getting headaches, severe ones, that only responded to ice packs. Then my blood pressure went way way up. The headaches are probably related to the elevated blood pressure. I also got the sweats (at first I thought it was menopause, but not so). I was also having a hard time sleeping. Finally heart racing. Will try a bit longer to see if body can adapt to it, because my mood is much better, but worried regarding side effects."

WeeBeastie January 22, 2015

"I threw up a few hours after taking this. I discontinued immediately."

Kristys1989 January 17, 2015

"I started Fetzima 4 months ago. My blood pressure went up dramatically to the point that now I am on blood pressure medication. I am also irritable now. I see my doctor in one week and I will tell him to change it. I've never had a blood pressure side effect from medication before. My blood pressure was also normal."

GDD30 October 17, 2014

"I've been taking this for almost 2 months. After doing more research I've realized it isn't for me. I feel no worse or better then when I started it. I have post traumatic stress disorder and this doesn't seem to be helping at all."

Jillbillyjones (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2014

"I was on Fetzima for a couple of months but my depression was still really bad. The doctor kept increasing my dose with no signs of improvement. Eventually, my blood pressure and pulse was so high that I had to come off."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2014

"The doctor tried this to help with depression and bipolar disorder. It caused more anxiety and didn't work well at all. Only stayed on it 2 weeks and couldn't take it anymore."

Justbeingme August 11, 2014

"I started out on 40 mg now I'm on 80 mg, so far so good!!"

Adoni July 31, 2014

"I was only able to take it 4 days on day four I got very I'll started as uncontrollable depression then violent vomiting. I proceed with Dr advice to go back to old medicines. I've been off it 2 days. I can't eat without severe stomach pain no matter what I eat."

ksm888 June 19, 2014

"I suffer from Severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Panic Disorder . The comment above me was almost like a mirror image! I was so relieved to see that another person has been on every anti-depressant out there and none had really worked... For me however, all the anti-depressants I have been on in the past have actually caused an opposite effect than what they are meant to do. I would become even more depressed and even suicidal. I have Systemic Lupus, (among many other serious health issues) and in my case, the Lupus is very severe. It is pain, every waking moment. The Fetzima 40mg has helped a bit with that, it hasn't made me more depressed and I think I may even be feeling a bit more positive. So, all in all, I think it may be working : )"

Hannah_Brooke (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The potential side effect list became my life. I got everything, the extreme sweating, nausea, dry mouth, constipation... all of it. Had to stop going to my daily kickboxing classes completely because I'd get dizzy and throw up every five minutes until I stopped working out. I had to plan taking it around being able to spend two hours in bed not moving in air conditioning just to keep it down. Saw 0 effect on mood, I was switched to a new one yesterday and hopefully life gets better."

asdfghjkl1 June 4, 2014

"Only was able to take this for two days. Second day I felt just awful. Similar to Wellbutrin. I don't think my body can handle norepinephrine increase. I also got painful urination that lasted days after I took my last pill... ouch it hurt."

CGuz (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2014

"I started Fetzima at the request of my doctor as my mood was very dull and I was using Alcohol to help with anxiety. After 8 weeks at 40 mg I could not handle the excessive sweating that was so bad I was showering sometimes 4 times a day and washing my sheets almost daily. The worst part was the excessive pain after intercourse that would almost bring tears to my eyes from the pain. I have since been moved to another SSRI. "

Dealingwithitall (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2014

"Started on 20mg daily and went up to 40mg. Little or no mood changes. Some of the worst side effects I've experienced: Loss of libido, erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Pain with urination. Initial loss of appetite which then seemed to swing the other way and make me want to eat constantly. Very increased irritability, to the point that I caught myself screaming insults at the computer or other drivers (in private, thankfully), pounding my fist on the desk, and having to plug in headphones and crank the music loud enough so that all the little noises around me didn't make me scream in anger."

Squonk (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2014

"I was started on 40mg for 2 weeks..I felt like someone was pulling out the floor from under me and tipping the room. I was decreased to 20mg with unfortunately no improvement. I was previously on Cymbalta that seemed to "stop working". I'm now currently on Paxil which will hopefully help with my sadness and anxiety"

Mel's May 14, 2014

"All I have to say is Wow! this is like taking Red Bull as an anti-depressant. So far so good, I just hope this feeling lasts and side effects do not kick in."

headrush (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Effexor, 300 mg for 15 years and Lexapro, 40 mg for about eight. I have tried to stop taking Effexor twice with horrible experiences each time. My depression began to increase so the Dr. prescribed stopping Lexapro immediately and gradually decreasing Effexor and replacing it with Fetzima (first 40, now 80mg). I was hesitant due to my prior experiences but the Dr. seemed confident. After 12 weeks, today is my first day without any Effexor, only 80 mg of Fetzima. I feel great; I had no negative side effects from the changes and notice definite improvement in my depression. I believe the depression will continue to lift with time. I am so relieved to finally be free of Effexor I believe Fetzima made it possible."

Replacing Effexor, Lexapro with Fetzima April 2, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried every antidepressant in the books over the past twelve years, you name it, I've been on it for an extended period of time "waiting for it to begin working" I have bipolar tendencies and panic disorder which has been so bad at times I've literally fallen down and been physically crippled for long periods of time, sometimes up to four hours due to hyperventilation. Recently traumatic events one after the other left me also with a whopping case of depression to top everything off. My doctor began a starter pack of the Fetizma and now I'm on an 80 mg dose. My anxiety is all but gone, it leaves me extremely calm without feeling sedated and as an added bonus it seems to have greatly reduced my chronic pain. Life just seems better."

Fetizma February 27, 2014

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression