Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 117 reviews 6 medications

Depression 293 reviews 75 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 715 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication is fantastic. I was suffering from some major anxiety for years and this has taken a huge burden off me. There are still an occasional surge of anxiety but its an anomaly now where it used to be the norm for me. For those bad times I'll take Ativan and the combination between the two work awesome. I only take about 4 Ativan a month, the rest of the time Lexapro does the job. And I sleep SO much better.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: 8 years ago I had my 3rd child, a healthy baby girl, and suffered from horrible postpartum depression. My OBGYN put me on 10 mg Lexapro and after a few more terrible days and a trip to the ER I ended up in a psychiatrist office. He added mirtazapine to help me eat and sleep and in 2 weeks I was much better. I was able to stop the mirtazapine and took the Lexapro for a full year. I am so grateful to those 2 Dr's who helped me crawl out off a very dark hole. A month ago I fell back in and my anxiety kicked into high gear. I was barely functioning. After 2 weeks my psychologist put me back on 10 Mg Escitalopram. I am entering my 3rd week and feel much better. This medicine has been wonderful. Prayer medicine talk therapy.

January 12, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by Bowj:

For Depression: I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Astrophysic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I started taking 20mgs of Lexapro every day 3 months ago. I have experienced the sexual side effects and lethargy associated with it, but it has served as a good mood stabilizer. In fact, it actually helped me to quit drinking. I had developed a daily routine with alcohol and had trouble stopping cold turkey. I needed something. I let the Lexapro work and after two weeks I lost my craving. That isn't to say it cures alcoholism or depression, but it's been just the assist I needed. I combine my medication with some therapy and self-help audio books. I'm in a much better place now than ever before. I strongly encourage anyone to give the medicine a chance to work.

January 11, 2015 7:29 PM

Review by HKJ:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by jesb:

For Depression: I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by Big Cat Ninja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started Lexapro 9 weeks ago for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. My doctor started me at 10mg a day and I'm still taking the same dose. Honestly, the first 3 weeks were tough. No appetite, and very sleepy. My head was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. Then after the 4th week, I started to feel like my old self again. The obsessive thoughts are very minimal now and I can get over things much better. I sleep great now and feel good. I recommend Lexapro to anyone that is suffering from depression and anxiety. The depression is basically gone. The anxiety is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was. Stay patient, It works.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by LineH:

For Anxiety: Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by willie jay:

For Depression: Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by cj rose (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Zoloft for 5 years and it was horrible for first 4 months! Then it began to work. But after 5 years and had recently upped to highest dose, it stopped working. So after discussion with psychiatrist, decided to try Lexapro. I was weaning slowly off the Zoloft and was doing good then boom! Horrible brain zaps, unorganized thinking, it was terrible! Psych told me to start with a quarter of a 10mg tab, as I continued to wean of the Zoloft. The very next day was great...no more brain zaps, mood stabilized because the side effects from weaning off Zoloft were gone! I'm now on the full 10mg Lexapro and down to about 10mg of Zoloft. Lexapro is great so far. I am well pleased. I also take 1mg Klonipin twice daily.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by freeasabird (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I started taking Lexapro after years of anxiety and constant feelings of doom and gloom, it came to a head about 4 years ago and I was seriously considering suicide, anyway I started going to counseling and taking 20 gms of Lexapro, I worked my way through it and about 2 months ago went cold turkey after cutting down to 10 mg for about 6 months. I got bad head spins and felt really tired but I'm coming good now, the interesting thing is that while I was on Lexapro my craving for beer went through the roof and I went from two stubbies a day to sometimes 20 and couldn't get enough. I lived for beer, now I'm off Lexapro I have lost that craving and the beer actually tastes bad so all good. I wonder now whether Lexapro was really doing anything

December 18, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by hellofromSouthAfrica (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Had 3 panic attacks in total..last one was big. So I went to the doctor, I was thinking I was having a stroke! After that experience I was very anxious! I could not learn or do anything! I was a mess for about a few weeks. So I my psychologist said I have Generalized anxiety disorder and of my passing of my father a few years ago and bullying in school lead to all this. I started with Lexapro and after 3 days I stopped it made me feel so sick and I had university exams coming up so I started it again 3 weeks ago and the strange thing is I have little side effects! First day I struggled with sleeping and I tend to feel tired in the morning and afternoon, But I hope that's goes away soon. Anxiety is much better. I'm on 10mg. Waiting for my best results at 4-8 weeks!

December 17, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Austin Parent (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I didn't realize how bad I was until I took this medicine! I'll start back: for seven years, I was either pregnant or breastfeeding and my mood deteriorated the whole time. A year before I took Lexapro, I was almost done nursing my youngest and started to get awful pelvic spasms. Then, once I finished nursing, I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After that, anxiety attacks. My Dr. said, "We gotta put you on something" so I asked for something to help calm my stomach and nerve pain in my pelvis. I started on 5 mg, then 10 mg 2 weeks later. It's been 4 weeks and I'm seeing an amazing difference. Pelvic pain significantly reduced, stomach eased, and I'm happier and the "shakes" and nervousness have lessened. Still have some dry mouth, so be prepared. A !

December 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by WorryWartNoMore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The first week and a half I started 5mg of Lexapro was a nightmare. I would have a psychedelic experience each night when I would try to sleep. It was like my mind was wondering through the expanse of the universe. Very trippy. However, after that first week or so, that feeling went away and it has been nothing less than a miracle for anxiety. Ever since my best friend was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver 4 years ago, I had been extremely worried and anxious that the same scenario would play out with another loved one. I would obsess over this daily and was driving myself crazy. Now that I'm on Lexapro, I don't have those feelings anymore. Sure, I worry about things sometimes, but now I'm free from obsessing.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by KH411:

For Major Depressive Disorder: After suffering with slight anxiety and what I now look back and recognize as mild depression for years my anxiety "blew up" one year ago. It manifested itself in severe panic attacks about diseases, life, intrusive thoughts, and thinking that I was going crazy. It got worse for 8 months until I figured I was going to die or find a med that worked. I tried 2 prior to Lexapro and they were awful. I had no quality of life and honestly thought I'd be dead by now. Lexapro SAVED my life. It kicked in in about 5 weeks and I had some rough patches for a few more. At week 8 I was me again. At times I still have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts but they are easy to push away. I have a life again!

November 30, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Kody G.:

For Depression: I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by J.M.:

For Depression: I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Louis 45:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM