User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 196 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 23 reviews 47 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 977 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on many medications through the years, and this is the first one I've been on a medication that didn't make me drowsy, and had side effects I could tolerate. Having Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, and Anxiety, but also having issues with psych medication side effects; I've been quite happy with this medication. It takes the edge off my negative moods, and at times renders me ambivalent-- which is better than before considering my PTSD anxiety was driving me to suicidal inclinations. However, if you aren't dealing with severe depression and anxiety, I'd suggest something less intense. Also, my medicaid covered this medication, but many insurance companies wont, and the original price is naught to scoff at."

Tia DeFye (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

For Depression "So I absolutely adore my lexapro I'm the happiest I have been in years. I literally cannot function without it. I had went off of it for about a month however due to insurance issues and I went insane. Like literally. Hysterical crying episodes I left my husband. So be prepared to never ever skip it. (i am back with my husband,btw when I got my mind back)"

Yasss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 10mg valuim for 10 years. I started lexpro today. I am already feeling nauseous and feel my anxiety increasing. After reading these reviews I am willing to give a shot in really hope it works. Thanks for the reviews."

Dannie36 April 7, 2016

For Anxiety "Escitalopram has helped me tremendously with panic and anxiety! Want to give hope to others who've been combing forums as I have. Started having panic attacks 6 months ago for no apparent reason. Waited it out hoping they would stop, but only worsened and my life went downhill fast. Dr. gave me Escitalopram 10 mg. with Clonazepam to help with start up effects. The first 10 days were difficult: insomnia, loss of appetite, increased anxiety. These effects disappeared as I hoped and each day I noticed subtle improvements. I am now panic free! Still have small anxiety, but that is human and "normal". So happy that I took action, as I was very afraid. Give this med a chance and give it time to work. I'm sure glad that I did!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

For Depression "After trying numerous antidepressants years back and having bizarre reactions and becoming a walking zombie I was prescribed "Cipralex" 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I started with only 1/4 of a tablet as I was apprehensive but beside a bit of an odd smell when going to the bathroom they are amazing. After only 1/4 pill the first day about 4 hours after I took it I found myself laughing for the first time in years and now feel calmer, and much more focused with more drive. A month ago I could barely read a paragraph without losing my concentration or re-reading it over and over,now I WANT to read and read. I feel so much more in control,then again I have been experiencing depression for about 20 years so do something about it now no regrets here!"

Henry Ateris April 3, 2016

For Depression "I was on Lexapro for close to 5 months - didn't work for me, it made me More anxious. Told my dr & weaned off of it. I would not recommend it."

JB129 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

For Depression "I have been a heavy drinker in the past, and decided to completely quit drinking about 6 weeks ago for a variety of reasons. I had never really been depressed up to this point, but maybe I was dealing with my depression through drinking all along. I digress. I slid into a depression. I could not put one foot in front of the other. Work performance, sex life, hobbies, and social skills all seemed to suffer. My family and friends (some pharmacists and nurses) urged me to try an SSRI and see if it made a difference. They assured me that depression was common in early sobriety and that I may need a boost to get back to living a fulfilling life. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg 2 weeks ago and I can already tell the difference. Everyday gets better"

Zackrey (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been taking Lexapro for three years now. It has been a miracle. I have not had any panic attacks in over two years. I have a great outlook on life and am totally comfortable in my own skin. Before I started I had panic attacks regularly. They were so bad that I would have them while driving, at work, while I was trying to sleep. I was a mess. Much, MUCH better with Lexapro."

Helen215! March 31, 2016

For Anxiety "I took Lexapro for almost 4 weeks and quit because it was pure hell. I tried to push through the side effects but they never went away. Insomnia, couldn't eat, anxiety hit the roof, panic attacks every night, and crazy thoughts. Was not for me."

C dallas March 30, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "So to start, Im not affiliated with any med companies, nor is this some fake bs review. I was you, scanning reviews all night long, just two weeks ago. I have a HUGE personal phobia of medication, in dread of any adverse side effects... and my anxiety has also come back with a vengeance over the last 2 years, and began controlling my life. I started on 5mg generic. People say it's placebo at this dose....everyone is different. I can tell you a few things: The 9th day on it I had realized most of my anxiety was gone & all my emotions, sex drive, were all in tact. 1 major problem... Insomnia for every single night, and night sweats. Couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night. Helped, but not the right med for me due to this. Try it!"

AnActuallyHonestReview (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on my 5th day taking Lexapro 10mg and the side effects have been horrible! The most I can put into my stomach is a breakfast essential shake in a whole day, I get heavy head aches, the back of my eyes hurt like hell, I wake up drenched in sweat, my whole body aches to the point where I can barely walk, I get very cold easily, and I sleep throughout the day.. I was told the side effects will stop after a week but will the loss of appetite stop too?"

Drew72366 March 24, 2016

For Depression "Lexapro has been a lifesaver! Started on prozac for 8 weeks but did not work for me. Doctor switched me to Lexapro 3 weeks ago and I feel calm and relaxed for the first time in a long time. Only taking 20mg but really helps with sleep and making healthy rational decisions. I highly recommend and had no side effects."

Joanne075 March 24, 2016

For Depression "Not great med. Gained lots of weight. 15mg I was like a zombie. Tired alot and twitching."

scott ryan March 23, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "As my nickname says I have been very quiet and most of my life. Always worried and anxious since a child, I came to the US when on my 30s and years later, I think the stresses of life and my personality put me in a severe anxiety with depression and several panic attacks. I was thinking I would die!. Went to Psychiatrist did not trust on him first time, I did not want to take the medicine and I got worse! I started taking lexapro 10 mg, it helped me so much, I had that hope on it that I didn't remember side effects. I used also the benzodizepines and ambien to be calmer and get some sleep. Like 3 months later didn't take more benzo ,and/or ambien. I have been in this medicine since March 2014, today is March 2016. Been reduced now to half"

Quiet Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro has literally saved my life! Before starting the medication, I was terribly depressed & suicidal. I finally got the courage, with the help of my husband to talk to my physician. I initially began on the 10mg dosage. The first week was rough with bad headaches, nausea and extreme fatigue. By the second week, the only side affect I had was a little spaciness that I feel was from the fatigue that had continued. However; at week 2, I felt so much better. Now after 2.5 months and moving to a 20mg dose, I have my life back! I haven't felt this much peace in years. I can sleep. I can laugh. I can smile.....and I can't imagine taking my own life. Best of all: I can love others because I'm happy and at peace with myself. Worth it all!!!!"

FAV (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I rate this medication very highly. I had no history of anxiety or depression before being struck down with severe generalised anxiety (and subsequently its bff, depression). I've been on lexapro for 3 months now and my life is completely back to normal. If I still have side effects, they have normalised so that I no longer notice them. About a month ago I starting drinking wine again ( I got a reaction the first time, but was fine after that), and 3 weeks ago I started on coffee again (it made me hyperactive for the first week, then normalised). You just need to ease into it. Please don't give up on this med in the first week. It's a bit of a rough start but so worth it when you come through the other side."

Sass123 March 22, 2016

For Depression "Been on 20 mg for a month and honestly I feel more depressed and more then before. I am also getting super sensitive. Doctor wants me to give it 2 more weeks and added Abilify. I start my first dosage tomorrow. Ugh"

scarlettmple (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

For Anxiety "Been on this medicine for around 5 weeks, 10 mg. Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I have finally got myself out of the darker place I was before. So glad that it's working, and I'm feeling better day to day. Still some anxiety but I can deal with it, depression is completely gone, I can socialize no problem. terrific"

CalPAL March 22, 2016

For Depression "Lexapro made my depression worse, and I had suicidal thoughts within 24 hours. I immediately quit. It was a free sample from my doctor."

Svenska (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I just started taking his medication yesterday. Ive read good teviews. I suffer from GAD and this is leading to severe depression. All i think about is my breathing which is causing me not to be able to Sleep. Im desperate and hope this med works."

Bmob2023 March 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "anxiety/panic Started 21st Dec 2015 on 5 mg after 2 wks went up to 7.5mg for a wk then up to 10 for the next 8 wks. I felt fatigued/nauseas/headaches quit the gym, unmotivated ,bitchy/moody zombie the whole time but I was hopeful and waited for time to pass to feel better but it never happened and I ended up more depressed so I upped my dose to 15 mgs for 4 days thinking I would wait for the bad side effects to pass again , had the increased anxiety and crying spells etc so I rapidly dropped down to 5mgs for another 4 days and then quit. I had some withdrawals but not worse than the feeling of beginning Lexapro anyway. I'm now laughing and happier again with the help of " the mood cure" book & I expect it to take 2 months b4 I feel100%"

Emmalizalee March 16, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been on lexapro for about 8 months now. It's been so good for me! I am 24 and female. I am no longer depressed. Before I first started, I was waking up every morning with suicidal thoughts. Now all of those thoughts are gone! I am so much more social! I can talk to anyone without anxiety, and I actually want to talk to people! I have more energy and have the urge to excercize and cook myself meals. These are things I wanted to do before but depression kept me in my bed feeling hopeless. There's hope! Depression is real. Don't feel weak for taking antidepressants. It can be the first step to getting out of bed and living your life how you want to live it!"

Paigeminica March 14, 2016

For Depression "I started feeling the calming effects of Lexapro after about three weeks. I'm high-achieving, driven, and I love being productive and challenged. Episodes of depression have made dealing with everyday life somewhat difficult, mostly due to the insomnia that comes with depression/anxiety. I was having difficulty sleeping for about a week when I broke down and spoke with my doctor. I was prescribed Lexapro and my symptoms are almost entirely alleviated. I work midnights so I take Lexapro at around 3:00 PM. The first week I had very bad headaches and felt dizzy. I took 5 mg instead of the 10 mg which decreased the intensity of the headaches, and again, the side effects subsided pretty quickly. In addition to this, I lost eight pounds."

Hamiltonia (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medication saved my life. I have been struggling with anxiety for 20 years and nothing has worked. Finally decided to go on an SSRI for this and mild depression and it's like the weight has been lifted off of me. No longer am sick all of the time. No longer do my triggers affect me to the extent that they once did. I had panic attacks about taking this medication, and if you have anxiety about medication I ask you to just give it a try. If this isn't the one for you then your doctor can switch you. If you're looking for a sign to start I hope that this is it!"

Jenny456 March 10, 2016