User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 92 reviews 6 medications

Review by Bikebke:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Good

June 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Lizzy15:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!

June 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by Rozer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Completely numbed me, gave me horrible panic attacks. Even when I'd gotten used to the medication my panic attacks turned into a deep depression and felt completely lifeless. 5 weeks in I couldn't do it anymore

June 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Anonymous12345663311 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on this medication for almost a week. Within the first two days I had stopped having panic attacks, down from around two-three a day. Side effects are minor, at least to me. I get hungry a lot, and sometimes can't sleep properly, but both of those are essentially the same as how it was before, so I'm used to it.

June 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Antimeds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: For almost three years I dealt with major depression and anxiety. After my separation, my life fell apart and I couldn't control my emotions. I was dealing with depression, anxiety and rage. I am very anti medication but knew I needed help. I completely broke down and sought help. I was prescribed Zoloft for the first time in my life and felt that I went crazy. My anxiety kicked in overtime and I lost my job. I will never be able to explain how bad it was but I tried to just survive for another year thinking nothing would help. Three months ago I went back to my doctor's office and was prescribed 20mg of Lexapro. I told her I was terrified but would try anything at this point. It took two months to feel like a human again. It saved me.

May 27, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by Johnathan Deau:

For Depression: My feelings of depression were actually amplified by this.

May 24, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

For Anxiety: I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by ccbarista (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It was not fun for the first couple weeks. I was dizzy, couldn't sleep, nauseous, and couldn't eat. I lost 6 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm an already thin 5'8" female who went from 120 to 114lbs in a matter of days. Moving past this, Lexapro has helped me so much. I'm also on Lamictal, so the combination is working well for me. I actually feel like I can talk to people, whereas before I was so scared of being judged that I couldn't even talk to customers at work. I can now ask people to hang out. I'm still very self conscious (I won't pretend it's a miracle medicine that fixes everything), but it has gotten me to a place where I can actually start working on improvement, whereas before I was so paralyzed I couldn't even begin.

May 11, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Rhianeetha:

For Depression: As a mother of two young boys I started feeling down and depressed and I couldn't even leave the house because of my anxiety. It started helping me after 2 days (half tab) now I'm taking 1 and a half tablets and I feel so much better. its been a month since I have started this and I love it. I have tried Celexa, Prozac etc...nothing worked. THIS DOES! It makes me tired so I take it at night.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by Pee wee McGee:

For Depression: Best thing to happen to me. Wish I would have done this years ago.

April 24, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by xx0011all:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro has honestly saved my life. I have been dealing with Anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder my entire life and have tried multiple medications, nothing has worked, this is amazing. I would say before Lexapro my anxiety on a scale of 1-10 was a 10 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now its at 0! Sometimes maybe a 1. It has given me my life back!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by TS80:

For Depression: Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Review by Andrew Jeff:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After being diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro. I was very skeptical. I finally took it after having a few days with me debating whether or not to take it. It made me feel a lot better. I'm only a few days into it but I can feel a difference. I'm a little dizzy and find myself yawning when I first take my dose of 10mg, but that usually goes away. I also had to use the restroom several times, but overall not a lot of side effects. I'm surprised and pleased so far and I'm sure I'll have to up my dose in a few months.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by Ami05:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I WISH Lexapro worked for me like it seems to for everyone else. The first few weeks were a nightmare (tired, nauseous, dizzy, panic attacks), but it did get me out of the deep slump I was in. Then I seemed to get better out of the blue but for the past couple of weeks I've slowly been slipping back into that slump. I've been on it about 2 months. It's causing me to have the most bizarre nightmares. I can't stop thinking about them during the day. I feel like a total zombie too, no emotion whatsoever. I guess that's why I feel like my anxiety has been eased. I've NEVER felt like this before, it's just bizarre.

April 5, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by Nepaflyguy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have suffered from GAD for most if my life. In the last 10 years it had slowly gotten worse and side problems showed like health anxiety, physical symptoms like back pain, neck pain, lump in throat, etc. Worry had taken over my life....unfortunately I didn't notice it associate most of these things with GAD. But it had been effecting my family for sometime. Got to the point where my wife moved out and filed for divorce. I finally made the decision to try an SSSRI. I had tried in the past but had rare side effects from all I tried. I started Lexapro 5mg and within 5 days began to feel better. Then after a few weeks it was like waking up from a deep sleep. I had my life back! Been 8 months now and I feel fantastic! Thank God for Lexapro!

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by FinallyHopeful:

For Anxiety: All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

April 1, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by shanshan27:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I got a panic attack while at the movie, I wasn't watching anything scary, it was an action movie. Anyway, I went to my boyfriends house after and had another panic attack the same night and couldn't calm down. Went to work the next day and was still on edge. I decided to go to the doctors and she gave me Lexapro. While she gave me another medicine to take with it. I decided to only take the Lexpro/Escitopram. For the following 4 weeks only on Lexapro, I was very anxious and didn't go to work, then one morning during the 4th week, I felt better and normal. 2 year's later I saw a different doctor and she put me on a cheaper version of Lexapro, but during my first month on the other medicine I had another panic attack. I am now back on Lexapro.

March 28, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by MStetzer:

For Anxiety: Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by limitless (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This stuff is like magic. I have never been as happy or self actualized as I am now. I can do things I could never do before. No side effects that matter.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Focus and clarity (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I've always had anxiety more than most for years since I was a kid. In last few years (I am 50 yr. old male) this grew into depression. It got to the point I would get paralyzed on the next task over thinking it - I couldn't be decisive. Then I would get depressed because I couldn't get things under control which led to lack of sleep - continuous cycle. I was always against anti-depressants (for the weak I thought). I tried everything - exercise, no alcohol, no sugar, sleep aids - with little success. I finally gave Lexapro a chance. It brought the anxiety noise level & depression way down and allowed me to get perspective and sleep. Occasional chills, but less over time. No other side effects for me. Glad I did it.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:00 AM

Review by AngryGerbil:

For Anxiety: I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM