User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 129 reviews 6 medications

Depression 308 reviews 75 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 763 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I am a 36 year old female. I have been on Lexapro for 4 months now, and It has definitely helped to change my life for the better. I had crippling anxiety and depression, and finally went to the dr when it reached the point that I could not leave the house to go to work (some days) or even to the grocery store. The first two weeks I took 10 mg/day and now I am on 20 mg/day.At first it made me sort of loopy and low sex drive but those things evened out. I wish I would have started it sooner. Please give this medicine a try if you have depression or anxiety."

t-j-r April 24, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The first week is hard. I took it with Xanax to make sure I could sleep through the night. Get through the side effects, and it will change your life. I'm so happy. Night and day difference."

Mjfields (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

For Depression "I'm a 66 y/o female with what I think is "atypical depression", meaning I am not melancholy and not unduly anxious, but suffer from what I lovingly call "homocidal irritation," which can escalate to rage pretty easily. Lexapro (10mg) over the past 8-9 yrs has been a lifesafer, as any of my friends will readily corroborate. If I go off for a few days (refill issues), they can tell! However since my mother died 3 yrs ago and ended my 13-year role as caregiver, I have sunk into a very narrow life, with few interests, a morbid aversion to human interaction, and often a complete inability to get out of bed and tend to the simple basics, like eating, showering, and dressing. Have added 20mg of Wellbutrin to the mix, but so far no improvement."

riknavpdx (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

For Depression "I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can."

ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

For Anxiety "After many, many, many medications, this is the ONLY one that has ever helped!"

Chey Nickole (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffered from anxiety with significant episodes of depression since I was 19 (I'm 26 now). My anxiety manifested itself as hypochondria mostly. I constantly thought I had cancer, MS, or some other debilitating disease. I feared my loved ones would die or get sick as well. The worry would consume my thoughts and I would spend hours online researching these illnesses, convinced I had something. Started taking Lexapro 20 MG and I've never looked back. My hypochondria is completely gone. "Sad" moods are no longer full-blown depressive episodes. My life seems so much lighter and more manageable. There's no shame in taking medicine if you need it. I only wish I had started it sooner."

BE2015 April 13, 2015

For Anxiety "I have been on 10mg of Lexapro 3 days. Day one: I was really dizzy and couldn't keep my eyes open. Day 2: was awful. I kept throwing up a few hours after taking it. It felt like a hangover and flu mixed. Everything hurt. By the end of day 2 I noticed I wasn't spending my day planning, thinking, and breaking down tiny details. I was in the moment. It was a little boring at times but it was extremely refreshing. It was amazing to want to go do things without having to make sure everything was thought of. There were no rushes of chest pains. I felt like I should tell everyone how wonderful it was like not be consumed by thought. Day 3: light dizziness and sore muscles. light anxiety after an argument and a concert. I have very high hopes now."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

For Anxiety "Made my anxiety even worse, was unable to make it past a couple weeks."

Th3Machin3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After years on Zoloft I've been switched to Lexapro, now I'm 10 mg (targeting 20mg per day) with HUGE DIFFERENCE. No more mood swings, no more anxiety, I'm calm and happy. I'm glad I change my meds, now I feel like living person again ! It's great."

Mariusz88 April 10, 2015

For Depression "I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again."

Katzanddogz April 9, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me."

Changed my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Anxiety "I had crippling anxiety for about a decade (childhood to early twenties). Panic attacks, social anxiety, and "generalized anxiety" were some of the titles I had gotten. Bottom line I couldn't interact with others, perform simple tasks, speak in public, make eye contact, the list goes on. I had HORRIBLE anxiety panic and depression for years. I developed a pretty serious drinking problem because I was not being treated for anxiety! I was suicidal and finally sought help. Lexapro 10mg at first. I didn't feel different the first month or so. You need to give Lexapro time! I am 100% a different person. People think I am calm, confident, and put together. I feel no panic. No irrational anxiety. It saved my life."

Callieee April 7, 2015

For Anxiety "Lexapro made everything worse for me. Had horrible side effects! Teeth clinching, headaches, zombie like, no energy, insomnia and horrible nightmares. Had to stop after 3 days."

Anonymous April 3, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffered from every type of anxiety in the book. I could barely go to the grocery store. I got started on 5 mg a few weeks ago. The first week I took this I felt amazing -- more energy, more motivation, happier etc. The second week I felt horrific. So depressed and borderline suicidal (which I never dealt with before). I got scared that the meds would not work. DON'T GIVE UP. Now on the third week I feel much better. I feel like I used to mostly and normalized. Not super peppy like the first week, maybe a little more tired and slightly foggy, but nothing compared to how I felt with anxiety. Most importantly, I have ZERO obsessive thoughts. Mind you I am still eating well, no caffeine, no alcohol and exercising daily."

j12348029 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I had been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a year. I, like many others thought I had something physically wrong with me. Several trips to the ER led me to the diagnosis of anxiety disorder/panic attacks. I was prescribed Xanax which I took 3-4 times a day to try to control the anxiety. My anxiety ended up leading to depression. I started on Lexapro just over 3 weeks ago. I was initially afraid to take it but I didn't want to continue on the Xanax that often. The truth is Lexapro gave me my life back! If I would have known that it would helped me like this I could have not suffered for so long. I'm so glad I decided to try it!"

Ecstatic (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro was the first medication for what was first diagnosed as adjustment disorder and later major depressive disorder. Lexapro (escatalopram) had me relaxed within a couple of days. I was so chilled. Any more relaxed and you'd think I was asleep. I have a highly stressed involved workplace where I lead teams of people and I was able to get my patience, communicative persona, positive outlook and collaborative nature back on track. My home life improved immensely. I was able to regain my perspective on the importance of issues meaning I could let small things go. The most important thing is I felt better in myself. I was so happy until two years down the track. Unfortunately it stopped working."

Julza March 26, 2015

For Anxiety "I've suffered from severe social anxiety and depression for quite some time. I was always terrified of going on pills and wanted to figure it out mentally. I always denied I needed help. It's gotten so bad recently that I struggle to leave the house. I'm only 17!! I went to the doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. I'm an emetophobic and one of the possible side effects was nausea so that was almost a deal breaker for me. I don't think I've experienced real side effects apart from difficulty reaching orgasm and headaches. My phobia makes me feel like I'm gettin side effects when I'm not- good old anxiety. Been on them for 2 days and am praying it gets better."

Wynano (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been borderline depressive my entire life, I am now discovering. It finally came to a point in my life where I was spinning internally and out of control. At a normal doctor checkup I began to cry and my doctor handed me tissues and waited. When I was done, he calmly asked okay, tell me what's going on. And I talked. He prescribed 10mg of Lexapro (generic and I can't begin to spell or pronounce it) He told me it would take about a month before symptoms would disappear and peacefulness would return. It didn't take a week and there has been such a change in me. Everyone in my life (including my disagreeable boss!!) has noticed and things are just nicer all the way around. Wish I'd been on this stuff decades ago."

Tornado Alley Cat March 22, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now and I notice an immediate change. I suffered from bad anxiety attacks where I would have them two or three times a night. I was miserable by the time I got prescribed Lexapro. My doctor initially prescribed me Xanax to get me through until my antidepressants start working because they don't have that initial "kick" like Xanax has. I was happy that I had the Lexapro to help me with my depression, and more so anxiety. The only side effects I have noticed is weight gain and lowered sex drive. I think those are nothing compared to feeling depressed. I would recommend this antidepressant."

mC1234 March 22, 2015

For Anxiety "Absolutely saved my life. After having severe facial pain for 3 months and not one doctor could diagnose me... I started have bad anxiety and depression. I was always that person that was so against anti depressants and anxiety medicine. My family kept telling me I needed to do something so I finally decided to take Lexapro! I have been on it for a little over 2 months and it was the best decision I've made. It has made me mentally relax and when any issues arise I'm able to think about it calmly and rationally, when before I would panic over everything. The first week the side effects were pretty bad, so make sure you take an anxiety medication with it. (For 2 weeks -1 month) until the side effects disappear. Highly recommend"

Kritty Bird March 17, 2015

For Anxiety "Lexapro has given me my life back. Now I'm back to work, back at the gym, socializing, running errands - all things that for the past year I could not do. I feel more at ease with life in general and my depression has also lifted. My husband has noted that I'm much easier to get along with and in turn he is happier. I've tried other meds in the past but this has worked wonders for me. I started on 5mg then after 2 months I went to 10mg. No weight gain at all, sleeping better and smiling more."

Deb405 March 16, 2015

For Depression "Lexapro has worked well for me. My anxiety and depression are about gone. The first 2 months were pretty bad and I almost quit many times but am glad I didn't. Side effects included night sweats, tinitus, headaches, insomnia, sexual issues, dizzzyness...... Most of this has resolved now after 3 months. Adding a b complex with folate and omega 3 seems to have helped me. This is a very good drug for anxiety and depression but you'll need to be very patient, and struggle thru the initial side effects"

bob z March 14, 2015

For Anxiety "This med is amazing. 23 year old christian college grad with every type of anxiety for the past 2 years. Could barely go to class or the grocery store, felt dissociated, distant and terrified of people (including friends). Was scared to try any drug but after losing my job and needing to go out and interview I decided to try something. 3 days in and I feel totally changed. No anxiety. Clear head. Feel like I could even move countries to work and I've been out more in a weekend than I have been in 3 months combined. I take 5mg and 25mg of hydroxyzine to balance out the side effects (blurry vision, headaches, muscle spasms etc). Don't be scared just try it. I regret not going on this sooner."

J886734458 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

J8867 March 14, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "At first I thought lexapro was helping but the only positive aspect was that it slightly helped my thoughts not spin out of control but not enough to keep taking since the side effects were awful! Weight gain, bloating, and others but the worst was that I could NOT hold still. I was constantly moving and restless physically! It drove me and everyone around me insane. Coworkers complained, boyfriend complained. It was a nightmare and also NO sex drive. Got off. Feel fine. So much better."

jamers247 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015