User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 194 reviews 7 medications

Depression 357 reviews 78 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 962 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro has literally saved my life! Before starting the medication, I was terribly depressed & suicidal. I finally got the courage, with the help of my husband to talk to my physician. I initially began on the 10mg dosage. The first week was rough with bad headaches, nausea and extreme fatigue. By the second week, the only side affect I had was a little spaciness that I feel was from the fatigue that had continued. However; at week 2, I felt so much better. Now after 2.5 months and moving to a 20mg dose, I have my life back! I haven't felt this much peace in years. I can sleep. I can laugh. I can smile.....and I can't imagine taking my own life. Best of all: I can love others because I'm happy and at peace with myself. Worth it all!!!!"

FAV (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I rate this medication very highly. I had no history of anxiety or depression before being struck down with severe generalised anxiety (and subsequently its bff, depression). I've been on lexapro for 3 months now and my life is completely back to normal. If I still have side effects, they have normalised so that I no longer notice them. About a month ago I starting drinking wine again ( I got a reaction the first time, but was fine after that), and 3 weeks ago I started on coffee again (it made me hyperactive for the first week, then normalised). You just need to ease into it. Please don't give up on this med in the first week. It's a bit of a rough start but so worth it when you come through the other side."

Sass123 March 22, 2016

For Depression "Been on 20 mg for a month and honestly I feel more depressed and more then before. I am also getting super sensitive. Doctor wants me to give it 2 more weeks and added Abilify. I start my first dosage tomorrow. Ugh"

scarlettmple (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

For Anxiety "Been on this medicine for around 5 weeks, 10 mg. Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I have finally got myself out of the darker place I was before. So glad that it's working, and I'm feeling better day to day. Still some anxiety but I can deal with it, depression is completely gone, I can socialize no problem. terrific"

CalPAL March 22, 2016

For Depression "Lexapro made my depression worse, and I had suicidal thoughts within 24 hours. I immediately quit. It was a free sample from my doctor."

Svenska (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I just started taking his medication yesterday. Ive read good teviews. I suffer from GAD and this is leading to severe depression. All i think about is my breathing which is causing me not to be able to Sleep. Im desperate and hope this med works."

Bmob2023 March 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "anxiety/panic Started 21st Dec 2015 on 5 mg after 2 wks went up to 7.5mg for a wk then up to 10 for the next 8 wks. I felt fatigued/nauseas/headaches quit the gym, unmotivated ,bitchy/moody zombie the whole time but I was hopeful and waited for time to pass to feel better but it never happened and I ended up more depressed so I upped my dose to 15 mgs for 4 days thinking I would wait for the bad side effects to pass again , had the increased anxiety and crying spells etc so I rapidly dropped down to 5mgs for another 4 days and then quit. I had some withdrawals but not worse than the feeling of beginning Lexapro anyway. I'm now laughing and happier again with the help of " the mood cure" book & I expect it to take 2 months b4 I feel100%"

Emmalizalee March 16, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been on lexapro for about 8 months now. It's been so good for me! I am 24 and female. I am no longer depressed. Before I first started, I was waking up every morning with suicidal thoughts. Now all of those thoughts are gone! I am so much more social! I can talk to anyone without anxiety, and I actually want to talk to people! I have more energy and have the urge to excercize and cook myself meals. These are things I wanted to do before but depression kept me in my bed feeling hopeless. There's hope! Depression is real. Don't feel weak for taking antidepressants. It can be the first step to getting out of bed and living your life how you want to live it!"

Paigeminica March 14, 2016

For Depression "I started feeling the calming effects of Lexapro after about three weeks. I'm high-achieving, driven, and I love being productive and challenged. Episodes of depression have made dealing with everyday life somewhat difficult, mostly due to the insomnia that comes with depression/anxiety. I was having difficulty sleeping for about a week when I broke down and spoke with my doctor. I was prescribed Lexapro and my symptoms are almost entirely alleviated. I work midnights so I take Lexapro at around 3:00 PM. The first week I had very bad headaches and felt dizzy. I took 5 mg instead of the 10 mg which decreased the intensity of the headaches, and again, the side effects subsided pretty quickly. In addition to this, I lost eight pounds."

Hamiltonia (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medication saved my life. I have been struggling with anxiety for 20 years and nothing has worked. Finally decided to go on an SSRI for this and mild depression and it's like the weight has been lifted off of me. No longer am sick all of the time. No longer do my triggers affect me to the extent that they once did. I had panic attacks about taking this medication, and if you have anxiety about medication I ask you to just give it a try. If this isn't the one for you then your doctor can switch you. If you're looking for a sign to start I hope that this is it!"

Jenny456 March 10, 2016

For Anxiety "Lexapro (or the Escitalopram version in my country) was almost immediately successful in treating my anxiety and extreme rage issues. I've been using it for 8 months, but experience one major side-effect: constant tiredness or lethargy. I've tried taking it at other times during the day, but no change. I sleep really well at night, have vivid dreams, am more creative and able to solve problems - if I can stay awake during the day. Get really drowsy two hours after taking this and can easily nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I'm no longer a bitch, but also no longer awake. So will have to choose between being mentally sharp or being anxious and angry all the time."

Nottheearlybird (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2016

For Anxiety "Lexapro changed my life for the better! I had anxiety and needed help. My doctor put me on 15 mg lexapro and the first month was not fun as my body was getting used to the drug. I had dry mouth, sweating and problems sleeping but after a month the side effects went away and I feel normal again. I bumped it down to 10 mg and have been on it for 2 years"

Amy 1530 March 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have currently been on Lexapro since 2/22/16 and I am starting to feel relief from my anxiety. The first week was terrible with the side effects of headache, nausea, upset stomach and I was extremely sleepy, but starting at the end of week 2, I was able to tolerate it much better. I have noticed now at week 3 that the things that use to bother me, don't bother me anymore or at lease I feel like I can tackle them without being irritable, snappy and moody. I don't sweat the small things anymore and I have no side effects anymore. I am glad I stuck it out. I had determined in my mind that I was gonna take it for 4 weeks straight and faithful and I'm glad I did. I am so much better now. Be encouraged...there is hope!"

Wendy414 March 9, 2016

For Anxiety "Began 10mg daily. First day was difficult. Severe mood swings, heightened anxiety, baseless anger, etc. Advise anyone beginning this to 1) begin on a day off and 2) have someone around to keep an eye on you. That ended at the second day, when I only took half-pills. Now that I am a week in, taking the full 10mg and things settling down nicely. Yawning is annoying and my normal night-owl life is riddled with deep, restful sleep, but I am calmer and less angry all the time."

J. Scott H. March 8, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been taking Lexapro for about 8 months now and it has done me wonders! I have not once had an anxiety attack since, and it has helped me with my depression as well! I highly recommend it!"

HarmonyLacee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "42 year old male. Married with 2 kids. No drugs or alcohol. No history of anxiety or depression prior to this incident. Several months ago I was wrongly diagnosed with throat cancer. As it turns out I am fine and cancer free. But the fear of leaving my family without a husband/father sent me into a tail spin filled with anxiety and depression. The worst part is that I stopped sleeping. My MD put me on Xanax (.5mg) and Ambien (10mg) which only made things worse. Finally went to shrink who put me on 10 mg Lexapro that I take in the morning. The Lex has given me the strength to get off the other 2 meds completely. After 1 month she bumped me up to 20 mg. After 6 weeks anxiety gone, depression gone, and I'm sleeping again naturally"

Anonymous465 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016

For Anxiety ""I was given Lexapro from my Psych recommended by my therapist for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally for many yrs by faith workingout meditation yoga and eating healthy. I am 37 suffering with severe panic-anxiety attacks which started while I was pregnant and involved DV with the dad who is a angel dust addict. I was always against taking any kind of meds not even for a headache so the thought of taking a drug everyday was scary I was diagnose with PTSD and anxiety. Its early since I just took my first dose last night and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness this morning even though I slept 8hrs when I was only sleeping 3-4 at most. I still feel very anxious I will check-in 2-3 wks"

Miraclesoul777 March 2, 2016

For Anxiety "Feeling alive again but still having panick attacks. I've been on 10mg for the past month but I noticed every time I have drinks, the next day I have nasty pânic attacks. They are awful. Its been only a month. Does it get better after 2 months. I like this medicine, I feel alive again. I wanna jump out of my bed and go to the gym at 6am like before! I haven't felt like this in a year! Before all I wanted to do was sleep and stay attached to my bed. I love this med but i think I'll need to upper the dose for my anxiety. :'("

Xuxuzeti (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Before beginning lexapro, I suffered from multiple dabilitating panic attacks a day. Everywhere I went, I had shortness of breath and extreme tightening in my chest and feeling as though I would pass out. I went to the hospital at one point because my bp would not come down and my boyfriend who is an EMT thought that I would start seizing my bp was so high. After that episode I started lexapro again. I was on it when I was 17, but stopped because I gained so much weight while on it. Now at 27, I've decided to try it again. It has helped immensely with my anxiety and I feel like my old self again. While I do notice weight gain again, somewhere around the 15-20 lb range, I will happily take that over feeling incapable of living."

Didksjdjdjdjsjsk February 27, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro has changed my life. I'm now out of a 2 long year depression, and have no more anxiety, no more ruminations, nothing. I feel at peace with myself, I'm feeling happier about my life every day, and have learned to forgive, love and accept myself as I am. I no longer feel shame or guilt for mistakes or my flaws. I feel incredibly positive and in control of my thoughts and feelings. Everyone will have a different experience, but at last I have found something that has truly changed my life for the better."

Ryan Faricy February 25, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Just about to start on Lexapro and have been reading all the reviews. I guess I have been suffering from nearly all the negative reviews but hoping that my experience will be positive. The only thing is, I like to have a few drinks when I get home from work so will need to give these up so that will be challenging. Any tips from anyone?"

Delorean February 25, 2016

For Depression "Taking it about a month and I have to say thank God I feel calm. I sleep good at night and calm during the day."

BarbDel741 February 24, 2016

For Anxiety "Omg my expiriance with lexapro was hell. Doc started me of with 10mg and first day I took it after and hour started feeling it it was worse anxiety I've ever experienced and it was just getting worse. After suffering for about 5 hours I had to go to the ER. They had to wheel me in because I almost passed out. I was given 2 mg oh Ativan and Benadryl and was out bearly remember anything until the next morning. I don't know but that was my expiriance."

Jc32 (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm on day 5 of half a tablet. Pretty much getting all side effects that I don't want. Brain not slowing down, insomnia, nausea, less sex drive, no appetite and headaches. However, having read all the reviews today I will persist. Like everything in life, we have to give it a go. My manic depression has been up and down all my life and I've been mainly on Zoloft in the past but that just didn't work in the end. I will give the the four weeks but think I will stick to half tablet. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories, you inspired me to take today's tablet. Here's hoping I will be back to functioning with a less hyper mood swinging personality soon."

Trusso1969 February 20, 2016

For Depression "I paid $250 for the brand name after having tried the generic 3 months ago with horrible results. Started at 5 mg; immediate increase in anxiety. Bad dreams, insomnia, diarrhea. Doctor said to go up to 10 mg after one week; could not focus, could not eat, intense agitation, uncontrollable crying, crazy thoughts. Anxiety hit the roof- couldn't leave then house. Saw a pychologist/ next a psychiatrist- immediately stopped the lexapro and within 24 hours felt 90% better. This drug is not for all. Sexual side effects and weight gain are high for most. Do your homework."

Caren grammar February 20, 2016