User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 128 reviews 6 medications

Depression 305 reviews 75 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 758 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet."

Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2014

For Depression "Two weeks ago I began taking Lexapro and it is nothing short of a miracle. Although I was told it would take up to three weeks to work, I experienced relief almost immediately, within days. Prior to taking Lexapro, I was having suicidal thoughts nearly every day. My depression was so severe that it would wake me in the middle of the night, like a sharp pain or intense nausea. I would then lay awake. Since I started Lexapro, I haven't had any abnormal levels of anxiety or depression and I haven't had any suicidal thoughts. Side Effects: sleepy (take at night), mild nausea, extremely (almost too) mellow."

LifeLongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was a very emotional teenager and couldn't handle small problems. After trauma around the age of 17 I was diagnosed major depressive disorder, anxiety, mood swings and a personality disorder. I started taking escitalopram 10 and of course the first weeks were still as bad as before or even worse but for me it felt like I was already in hell. After a month I felt great! Just as clear head, stable, no running thoughts or emotions and just happy and peaceful. After one and a half year I quit drop by drop in a time lapse of 3 months but I had to start again because all the symptoms came back. It is really hard to just start taking again or to admit you need it. All side effects are in my opinion way nicer than uncontrollable emotions."

Emster November 9, 2014

For Depression "I always knew I was vulnerable to having the blues, but it wasn't until I lost my motivation, could no longer enjoy the simple things in life (music, TV shows, vacation!) and would randomly burst into tears, did I realize this was something more serious. The first two weeks were brutal (1/2 tablet in morning, 1/2 tablet in evening). I was extremely anxious, had debilitating fatigue and zero appetite. Third week the symptoms set aside and I was a bit better but still felt robotic. Then the past 2-3 days, I noticed I was singing, joking around, MUCH less irritable and wasn't haunted by negative thoughts of doom or self-loathing. My memory is even better. Give it a fair chance, I promise you won't regret it."

Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Delighted. Years of severe anxiety and depression resulting from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, culminating in total debilitation. Unable to work for 12 months and social withdrawal. Started on 5 mg...then up to 10 mg....on 15 mg now and in a week up to 20mg. Apart from sleep still evading me and quite profound sleepiness for the first few days, Lexapro is a Godsend. The fog is clearing, anxiety almost non existent...yay! Still slightly unmotivated but getting better every day! Works for me!"

prolexa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2014

For Anxiety "My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg."

Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2014

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Rating - 10 -11 Very good and very effective. Taking Lexapro since 2009. Few problems. Have a very serious depression/minor schizo-psychosis problem. Took generic and am taking Lexapro again. Had a few problems with generic. Don't have same calm reaction with generic. Lexapro puts me in a good mood most of the time. Feeling of equilibrium mentally. Am happier/relaxed/calmer. Does make me very sleepy/drowsy, & a few other minor side effects. Only antidepressant I have had few problems with. Able to be more relaxed. Can fall asleep in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Have had a very good experience with it. Trying to get insurance to pay for it."

avm October 28, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Over the summer, I experienced my first panic attack leading to a string of additional panic attacks that followed. Subsequently, I was so overly focused on all the tics and aspects of my body, I was unable to focus or leave the house. I was getting panic attacks nearly on the daily, and had a terrible experience with the medication Viibryd, which gave me serotonin syndrome and left me awake for five straight days. Lexapro gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to start to really help, and 2 months to work in full strength. It allowed me for the first time in years to truly be happy, and deal with the problems of life. For those of you who just started this medicine, give it a chance because the side effects at first are very tough."

Anxious College Student October 26, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Before taking Lexapro I would be very uncomfortable around people and I would become depressed because I continued to deal with mild obsessive compulsive disorder. My job is also very stressful as I am a manager at an entertainment business and would obsess over my job so I would not miss any details. I had no time for life outside of work because I would obsess over my job and "worse case scenario". I am a 26 year old and when I was younger, around 17, doctors would treat me with all types of depressive medications. With negative outcomes, I decided young that I would not take any more medications and "toughen" it out. NOW with events leading up to me taking Lexapro, I am a new person and I don't worry about little things any more. The OCD is GONE!"

ContessSpider October 24, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was on Lexapro for over 5 years for depression. I could definitely notice a difference for the better. Was no longer suicidal and could work and function on a daily basis again. But still think I could have been happier than I was. The only side effect was loss of libido."

Bethkk (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!"

collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2014

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle."

Melsss October 18, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND."

undefeated October 18, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before."

melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2014

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I began feeling very anxious and getting anxiety attacks almost every morning. This went on for months and finally I told my doctor. She gave me a low dose of Xanax and it helped a bit but once it wore off, I had to take more since my anxiety returned. I asked my doctor to put me on Lexapro and I swear, it started to work almost immediately! I have been on it two weeks now and I've only had one minor anxiety attack, and every day I'm feeling a little better. I'm already feeling much calmer and more peaceful and I only take 5mg at night. My sleep is better too! The only side effects were nausea, and diarrhea (which are subsiding) and weight loss (which I don't mind). I'm feeling so much more hopeful now, and I had almost lost hope."

Anonymous7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety most of my life. As a child, I couldn't cope with being bullied, as I turned into a teen severe anxiety took over which worsened in my twenties and peaked in my thirties (now.) After getting the shakes frequently, bursts of unexplained rage (with no outlet), panic attacks and severe discomfort in social situations worsening, I finally saw a Dr who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and put me on 10mg at first and now I'm on 20mg. I cannot stress enough how much Lexapro has helped me. Its like a magical pill that has made my life worth living again. The anxiety that once plagued me has all but disappeared, and my depression has decreased to a point where I can manage it. No side effects noted."

don'tneedausername (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2014

For Anxiety "My experience thus far on this mediicne is absolutely life changing. I have never taken any form of medication in my life bar antibiotics on a couple of occasions, however when anxiety hit me out of nowhere I thought I was losing my mind. I could not think or function. I didn't have the strength to stomach food and was afraid all the time. I could not work and thought that living was becoming impossible. As a result of this I became depressed and the vicious cycle continued. I thought I would never escape this feeling. It all became too much for me after about a month and I went to my doctor a blithering mess. He prescribed me 10mg Lexapro and I regained my life. 14 days later I am back to normal and happy smiling. Get your life back."

Elviseat October 9, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years. I've tried diet and exercise,meditiation, herbs, and when I finally realized how many things I was missing out on with my family and friends I knew I needed to try medicine. First I tried Buspar which offered no help and made me really dizzy. Next was Lexapro. The first couple of days on Lexapro i noticed nothing. By day 4 I was really tired and had a headache. Day 5-6 was the same and I was very anxious and couldn't sleep. By this point i am so tired I have to sleep late, sleep at lunch and go to bed early. On day 8-10 my ears rang and I almost gave up. On day 11 I FINALLY started to feel better. Waiting for 4 weeks to see full benefits, but the side effects DO go away."

Mavrik33 October 8, 2014

For Anxiety "Lexapro saved my life. I was locked into worry, self-recrimination, and rumination. I couldn't let go of the past and see myself in a good light. Within a couple of days the anxiety lifted and I could finally SLEEP! I've been taking it now for 6 weeks. In that time, I got a volunteer job that I love and I'm so upbeat. I'm grateful for this site because I read others' experiences which led me to ask my psychiatrist for Lexapro. Thanks to the posts about taking only the brand name Lexapro (my psychiatrist concurs). It's difficult taking medicines because with emotional/mental problems we feel out of control and taking a medicine that doesn't work makes us feel more out of control. It's worth trying until you find what works. Don't give up."

Tweetie Bird October 3, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine."

Ash2014 October 1, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track."

Rwaters123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Male, 50, about 1 yr ago experienced sudden onset of debilitating generalized anxiety disorder. Suffered 3 months trying benzodiazepines, Buspar, Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. Settled on Lexapro 20 mg. 100% symptom-free in about 1 month. After 1 year, tapered off about a month ago. ZERO negative side effects from tapering and 100% recovery. I'm not one to suggest a miracle but this is about as close as it gets."

RHS1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2014

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-"

Jvjh September 25, 2014

For Anxiety "Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro."

JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2014

For Depression "Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before."

Kristinaisfree September 23, 2014

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next