User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 80 reviews 6 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lexapro reviews 586 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by SLB lexapro: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Like many I also suffer with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have tried Zoloft and found that ineffective. The side effects were unbearable. I couldn't eat, sleep, and had increased anxiety. Lexapro has helped transform my life positively! I feel like my old self again. The side effects are very minimal. I saw results the first week on this medicine.

June 22, 2013 4:02 PM
Review by domsmomma: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I gave birth three weeks ago. About two weeks ago I was hit with postpartum depression like a ton of bricks. Started Lexapro 4 days ago after I could no longer handle the awful depression and anxiety. My overall feelings have dramatically changed. I laughed yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, I'm still depressed but I am seeing a huge difference. Side effects are very minimal, they include being a little tired and a slight headache and some nausea but being where I was, I would definitely take the side effects over my depression.

June 21, 2013 10:14 PM
Review by truiz (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make a long story short, I have been battling anxiety and panic attacks for almost ten years. Took many different meds then was put on Lexapro. After a year stopped taking it and went on Zoloft. BIG MISTAKE. Started back on 10 mg two days ago, not having as much anxiety or panic. Just in the mornings waking up feeling anxious. Hopefully this will stop soon. My kids need me to feel better soon.

June 18, 2013 9:36 AM
Review by AhealtyerMe! (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro has finally provided stability to my life after about 6 months. I still have a long way to go and alot to do before I feel "Recovered" but the medication has definitely helped with my anxiety.

June 10, 2013 8:33 PM
Review by Shelly w: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been on it for 5 years and my life is a lot different then it would have been without it!

June 8, 2013 3:13 AM
Review by Gale1245: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro is amazing for blocking out over thinking anger and rage. It's a miracle pill. BUT, I was 120 pounds, model skinny. I'm 5'8 I had an amazing metabolism my body was rock solid. After 2 years of Lexapro I am now 170 pounds. Even when I try to work out and eat healthy the scale doesn't move. Sure will lose about 4 pounds and that's it. Don't take this medicine if you don't want to gain weight. I have never been fat in my entire life, and now I am more depressed then ever.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 2, 2013 6:23 PM
Review by HillsandSnow: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro has changed my life! I no longer have anxiety attacks, and I have control over my emotions. I wish I had started taking it years ago!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 28, 2013 12:42 AM
Review by Mid-Life Crisis Mama: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: About a year ago I lost 8 pounds in 1 week, two pounds more the next week. I couldn't sleep and constantly felt nauseous. My doctor ran every test under the sun and came back with only one conclusion: panic attacks and severe anxiety. After I got past my initial thoughts of thinking he must be a total idiot, I asked for Lexapro. I did 5 mg the first week, moving up to 10 the week after. As my MD warned, the anxiety initially increases, so keep the Xanax handy. Two weeks into it I started having longer and longer periods of normalcy. Then, on week three it's like it suddenly stopped and sent me into a tailspin right back to where I started from. My Pscyh told me to go to 20mg because I didn't have quite enough. Worked like a charm!

May 27, 2013 11:47 PM
Review by lulu888: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I have been suffering from anxiety for about 1.5 years. I am a big believer in natural medicine and psychotherapy. I have tried EVERYTHING . I exercise daily, I eat healthy, I take vitamins I tried meditation, vitamins -You name it. The anxiety started when I began dieting for a body building competition I lost about 10kilos and got down to a small amount of body fat. At this stage my periods stopped and I stopped producing estrogen and progesterone. I always told my mum and close friends it just felt like something inside me was 'missing'. I've been on Lexapro for 2 days and everything has changed. I can't BELIEVE it and I cannot believe I've wasted 1.5 years feeling that bad. You don't realize how bad it is until you feel relief.

May 25, 2013 8:22 PM
Review by Somewhat upset. (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I loved Lexapro, I had been on it for approximately 5 years. It worked wonders, made me feel close to "normal". Recently in the past 6 months I had gone through some life altering events and had noticed my depression was coming back more and more. I finally broke down and told my Doctor (I thought the problem would correct itself) So, he changed me to Pristq. I had a slight yawn while on Lexapro and some sexual side effects but they were less than any other medication I had ever taken. So when Lexapro works it works GREAT! When it's run it's course, time to move on.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 1:57 PM
Review by LALA03: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I've had depression, anxiety and anger issue and this medicine has been the best for me. I noticed a difference with my emotions within a week or two of taking this medicine. I would recommend it to anyone.

May 22, 2013 2:29 PM
Review by Work in progress: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro saved my life pure and simple. I was 42 years old and worked many years in the financial industry. One night before I went to bed right after X-mas, I had a severe panic attack and for three months I suffered unbelievably. I tried dieting, meditation, vitamins, exercise, you name it. Nothing worked. I first tried Zoloft but the side effects were awful. Next I tried Lexapro. Side effects were bad for 2 weeks and then after a month, anxiety reduced by 80%. Still have some but 100% better than before. Another key is to meditate, eat right, exercise and connect spiritually. Lexapro for the brain and meditation for the soul!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 20, 2013 11:34 PM
Review by Imaginaryhero (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've suffered with extreme anxiety and moods swings daily, fatigue and depression and I can tell you two weeks on Lexapro and the difference is like night and day. The anxiety improved about 2 days in and almost all sides are gone on the 8th day. The first week is the worst with tiredness and increased anxiety and moodiness and nausea but the benefits are worth it completely, I can now tolerate stress so much better. Tips: Always take it after breakfast and it prevents nausea. No problem with sleep so far for me.

May 19, 2013 2:08 AM
Review by jrk1212: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: This medicine is great for anxiety, but within first month noticed weight gain and has increased significantly over past 10 years, cannot seem to lose weight only lost 5 pounds on extreme diet/exercise.

May 18, 2013 7:14 AM
Review by seattlewa: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Had horrible anxiety upon waking up for the first two months. But it took Lexapro (15mg) 3 months before I got the full effect and am much better now! Dr also prescribed Seroquel to speed things up. Give this medicine time, it takes longer than the average 4-6 weeks as stated. I felt a difference within a few days.

May 15, 2013 4:25 PM
Review by moho (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Sweating and constipation are my complaints. I was on citalopram for years but stopped working. Two days later, on Lexapro, I'm feeling much better. I have more energy and sleeping much, much better. Two weeks now, I'm fine.

May 9, 2013 6:43 PM
Review by inkspot100 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was on Lexapro for over 10 yrs. LOVED it. Made me feel normal. I finally knew what people were smiling about on a spring morning. Long story short, had to say goodbye to an old friend. Lexapro worked great but stopped working after 10 yrs. Looking for a new friend. Just met Citalopram. Start taking tomorrow. 40 mg. Could be my new best friend.

May 2, 2013 3:40 PM
Review by Johnofflexapro: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Hello to everyone reading this. In the summer of 2012 I had the worst panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack and immediately rushed to the hospital. Long story short, I was prescribed Lexapro since I was not progressing and had lost 40 lbs in less than a month. I spent nights crying asking why me. Within two weeks of taking 20mgs, I felt like my old self again. I was no longer socially anxious when it came to conversing with people and was thankful to be alive. The depressed and anxious me stayed home all day and lay in bed, but not anymore. Been off it 3 months now but advice to others is not to research 100 different sites for side effects.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 2, 2013 3:15 PM
Review by Cap House: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: It saved my life! I can't say enough good about this medication. It ceased the panic attacks in a few days. I highly recommend this medication.

April 26, 2013 1:59 PM
Review by abudhabimommy: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro is a double edged sword for me. I can finally live, now that I have it, free of anxiety. However, I can no longer live without it. I have tried numerous times to wean, all to no avail. So far after about 6 years of use, my labworks are still all fine and normal. Hopefully this will never change.

April 26, 2013 1:48 PM
Review by rgirardo (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: My doctor prescribed 10mg Lexapro for severe anxiety about 5months ago. The first 4 weeks were really rough as the side effects almost caused me to discontinue the medicine. By the 4th week, I had insomnia. I couldn't sleep for several days. I felt like I was on speed. So, I cut the pill in half and the next day I felt a difference. I've been on 5mg for the last 4 months. And, I must say that it has changed my life for the better. I no longer have those negative thoughts or bouts of anxiety. Its amazing. The only side effects that continue are: clenching of the jaw and weight gain due to an increase in appetite. If you take Lexapro, give it 4 to 5 weeks to work before giving up. Best of luck.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 24, 2013 10:07 PM
Review by Ray911: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I suffered from anxiety disorder for 5 years without knowing what it was and after seeing numerous doctors and undergoing numerous medical tests and scans, it all came to naught. The symptoms were very vague and debilitating such as overall weakness, trembling, dizziness and even the simplest chore of lifting a pen results in strange feelings in the body. Finally a doc gave me Lexapro 10mg and my life was saved! Since then I have taken Lexapro (6mths) and stopped and it has relapsed twice and the longest time I survived without Lexapro was 1.5 yrs. Now I believe I have anxiety disorder and need help and Lexapro really helps.

April 24, 2013 12:19 AM
Review by boy wonder: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Being in the army the stress level is always there day and night. Then one day bam hit me like a bullet, got real dizzy, light-headed, heart racing. In reality it was an anxiety attack. Out of all the stuff I've been through this is the one that scared me. After, I ran to the docs at the hospital they gave me Lexapro. Been on it for two months now and I feel fantastic. Still a little tight in the chest and small heart beat skips but still on track and loving it.

April 22, 2013 1:28 AM
Review by Pearlodfdfdkfd: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I took Lexapro for 14 months, on 10mg for 12 and then 5mg for two. The month after I came off it was hell; anxiety returned. I was prescribed it after a severe panic attack where I became severely overwhelmed by life effects and I wasn't responding to talk therapy so it was felt by my doctors that the depression was more clinical and needed a chemical to lift me out of it. Lexapro brought to the fore my issues with alcohol as it mixes really badly with alcohol so it made me finally curb my drinking. Lexapro made me forgetful and unable to remember the word I was looking for mid-sentence or sometimes I'd say weird things which had never happened before. Overall it helped me make the positive changes I needed to get better so it did work.

April 21, 2013 10:40 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: First, the positive. I've suffered from anxiety my entire life. This medication helped tremendously in that it was under control while I was on it. If you suffer from anxiety, you know how wonderful this can be. The negative. I gained 20 pounds quickly that I couldn't get rid of. I decided to get off of the medication because I was trying to get pregnant. The withdrawals were really bad. I had brain zaps non-stop, couldn't stand up straight because of dizziness and extreme confusion. Now, keep in mind I tapered myself slowly off this medication, per doctor's orders. It took 5 months before I wasn't experiencing these withdrawal symptoms. Horrific.

April 21, 2013 7:23 AM