User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

7.9
Summary of Lexapro reviews 608 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by ecb1980:

For Anxiety: Definitely improving my life. I'm less stressed at work and life with the kids is easier. Some social settings (crowds) still bothersome, but I'm getting there. One of the pages I read warned about caffeine intake, they weren't kidding. I cut out caffeine and it lessened my mood swings. Please read about interactions with other medicines when you start something new, it makes a difference!

August 6, 2013 7:57 AM

Review by PaulaLM (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: Not every medicine is for everyone, but as one who has tried most of the major pharmaceuticals for major depression, panic attacks, severe anxiety and anxiety related bouts of obsessive compulsive disorder, I can tell you Lexapro is the only medicine that I've been able to stay on and be effective for my mental well-being...it is the only one I've had no side effects with. Other SSRI's have either: made me more anxious and/or depressed, dry mouth, BAD weight gain, or extreme fatigue making me into a walking zombie during the day. I've been on Lexapro 6 years now taking from 20 to 30 milligrams each day. During the months with the most sunshine, 20mg is effective. During months of winter, I have to bump it up by 10 mg's. I supplement with 4000 to 6000 IU's of D3 daily

August 5, 2013 10:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro about a year and a half ago after suffering from severe depression and anxiety (female, 23). Started on 10mg and have just upped the dosage to 20mg. I get a yawn and get a bit of nausea, also makes me a bit frigidity/hard to focus. Even so, it's done wonders on my moods and how my brain seems to function. It helps me sleep, I don't have crazy vivid dreams any more. If I miss a dose or two you can really tell the difference. It definitely mellows me out and I feel like I can manage basic day to day things since starting it. I have had some trouble with orgasming, however not always. Can't drink any alcohol on it because it goes straight my head and makes me go silly. Lexapro has changed my life.

July 29, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by frostbite, 58, male (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: It helps with anxiety but actually causes depression for me. Plus, I've gained weight, even when on a starvation type diet. I'm slowing weening myself off, down to 2.5 mg a day, next week I'm stopping completely. I just want to have a clear head, instead of feeling like a zombie.

July 27, 2013 11:34 AM

Review by Torreypine:

For Anxiety: I have been on Lexapro for three and a half years- it has completely changed my life, my moods, my behavior and my reactions to life for the better. I noticed an improvement within. 24 hours after starting Lexapro.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 7:50 PM

Review by Abbey25:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was given Lexapro about 11 days ago for my extreme anxiety. My situation is strange because this anxiety seemed to come out of no where and I was desperate for help. My doctor gave me Lexapro. I started feeling depressed, mainly because I saw that Lexapro is an antidepressant and my mind was playing tricks on me! Today I am feeling so much better and believe Lexapro has helped me. Only side effects have been a bit jittery and night sweats. If you are so desperate to get help for anxiety/depression WHO CARES about side effects. I recommend Lexapro and plan to stop taking it after being stable for a few months.

July 24, 2013 1:36 AM

Review by Thiago Amaro (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This is my first review of a medication, so I'm not a pro. I've been using Lexapro over the past 3 years, and I can tell you that I'm almost cured. I never had depression, only anxiety and panic attacks. I've been through 5, 10, 15, 20mg, and now I'm coming back and I'm already on 10mg again. The side effects suffered when our doctors changes the milligrams are strong (at least they are for me), but its totally worth it!

July 21, 2013 11:17 PM

Review by Ddiazepam (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on Lexapro for under three weeks now and it's been pretty great so far. I suffer from severe general and social anxiety and also depression. I started on 10mg for the first four days, then upped to 20mg on the fifth day. I noticed slight results after day four and to this day the over thinking and gut wrenching anxiety has been lessened. I have no depression anymore and it's close to impossible to care about stressful situations. I'm well aware it can take up to two months for Lexapro to fully take effect, however I feel the positive benefits already. Definitely something worth a try! Especially if you have anxiety and depression that is out of control. Besides the side effects, which are slowly fading away, Lexapro is great

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2013 4:13 AM

Review by Romanygrl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Extremely effective with no side effects other than drowsiness for first three days. Generic brands result in withdrawal symptoms- no idea why. Cannot miss more than one dose even on proper Lexapro or withdrawal symptoms occur.

July 20, 2013 9:18 AM

For Anxiety: I never comment on these this but I feel this website sharing positive experiences helped me a lot. I had my first panic attack two months ago after a night out. Weeks of having 3-4 panic attacks a day and massive levels of anxiety followed. I tried to carry on with life as normal going to work, etc. and started CBT, which helped me establish it had started due to increased stress from work. I struggled to get on trains, tubes, eating in restaurant's, shopping...pretty much every day to day task. When I was put onto Cipralex and for the first four weeks I had high levels on anxiety, headaches, disassociation, tight chest, chest pains. Now on week 5 on Lexapro I am feeling much better and can do everything I did before with only low levels of anxiety.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2013 4:19 PM

Review by Stamptician:

For Fibromyalgia: I have just requested to go back on Lexapro. I took it for several years and it worked wonders for my depression and anxiety. In 2005, I made the switch to Cymbalta due to my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Although Cymbalta seems to have helped with the pain, I have been so depressed and anxious. Not to mention my out of pocket costs for Cymbalta. I welcome Lexapro back into my life!

July 19, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: (escitalopram)

July 17, 2013 10:41 AM

Review by Scjoz:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been severely bipolar since I can remember. My emotions controlled me instead of the other way around my whole life. It's tough to convey my struggles in a short quip. I am on 20mg of Lexapro and for the first time in my life (34 yrs) I feel normal. I take it before bed with Unisom. My life has changed drastically in one month. I went from drinking and drugs 2-4 times a week to waking up at 7 and keeping a schedule. I notice and feel a huge difference in my thoughts, not racing. I noticed that symptom gone immediately. Mood swings, gone. Depression, still shows itself but more moments of peace and clarity. I am a happy gal.

July 16, 2013 7:57 AM

Review by ball game:

For Depression: I had extreme stomach pain within 1/2- 1 hour after taking Lexapro. I ended up in the hospital, dosage was 20mg. I had taken Lexapro a few years ago with no side effects. I have gained weight while on this.

July 13, 2013 10:05 AM

Review by C1990:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I am on my 9th day of taking 5mg of Lexapro and I feel much calmer than I normally would be. I had horrible headaches and dizziness at first. It's starting to get better and I'm starting to feel normal and relaxed. It's working great so far for me.

July 12, 2013 4:30 PM

Review by LadyB36:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffer from depression, anxiety and a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder. I just started taking this medication and in less than two weeks I feel a huge difference. Before the medication it seems I was crying about any and everything and at times for no reasons. Then the simplest things would irritate the heck out of me. Things as simple as popping gum. Now on the medication, I finally feel at ease and more calm. I even feel very upbeat and happy. Its a wonderful thing for me to even be able to say I even feel this way. I will come back after a while longer on the meds and give another update.

July 12, 2013 1:07 PM

Review by Life Saver (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: LEXAPRO changed my life. I am so against medication and was scared to try anything but after 6 months of pure hell and not able to function I surrendered to Lexapro and am SO happy I did. The side effects were bad but by the help of my Dr. and this page I didn't give up. It took the 6 weeks to start feeling like a human again. The two things I would say to anyone starting is 1. Give it time, 2 months plus and 2. Pills are not miracles, you have to work on yourself and with a professional in addition but it's worth it. Stay Strong.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2013 7:40 PM

Review by AJ27:

For Anxiety: When I first started this on 10mg, I had bad sides. Insomnia, crawling skin, heart palpitations and shallow breathing. I think a lot of it was in my head and from reading too much about side effects. My doctor wanted me to go back on Celexa but I had already been on Lexapro 3.5 weeks so I asked my doc if I could stick with it. He bumped my dose up to 15mg and its now been 2 weeks on 15 mg and it has helped ALOT with my anxiety and panic attacks. I can now actually function at work. Give it a chance. I'm no doctor but for me it took over 4 weeks. It worked! Hang in there.

July 9, 2013 2:09 AM

Review by Lexapro & Ativan (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: About a 1 yr ago I had a very bad allergic reaction to shellfish were I thought I would die. I was with my husband & my 5 yr old son in a restaurant when it happened. They rushed me to the hospital and later that day I went home just to come back 5 more times not knowing that they were panic attacks and a lot of anxiety. They gave me 1 mg of Ativan and I felt normal soon. I saw a Psychologist and a psychiatrist too and they told me I also suffer from phobia and its sad because I don't know what to do.

July 8, 2013 8:08 PM

Review by Jur Jaye H D G (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have no depression only anxiety disorder and panic attacks. On Lexapro 10 mg for almost two weeks. Anxiety definitely has decreased already. I actually think I was in a better mood off the Lexapro, because I didn't suffer from depression in the first place. It has a desensitizing effect in the sense that I know there are things still present that would normally make me go into a panic or severely anxious, however, I almost don't care. I know it's there, but emotionally I am not affected. I have had side effects such as sweaty palms and feet, jitters, spacey at times, hard to get out what I want to say when it pertains to something that may be a stressor. Horrible yawning, fatigue and sleepiness. A slight bit of dry mouth and trouble focusing.

July 2, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by Jen1562 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: So far have been on Lexapro for 4 weeks (not counting the first week of weaning off Remeron and onto Lexapro). Generally, I think I feel better as a whole, but know I have to give it more time. Unfortunately, this has NOT helped the anxiety I experience every single morning which makes me cry, and have actually had to take more Ativan than prescribed to stop the trembling inside. Will be talking to my doctor soon because something's got to give. I don't want to try anything else after 4 weeks and go through new side-effects, and most of the comments on here are very favorable if you stick it out. Guess I'm going to try to stick it out for another couple weeks. I wish people could comment on these comments instead of in the Questions and Answers forum.

June 30, 2013 4:09 PM

Review by SunnySand (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Lexapro helped me in many ways back in 2009. I suffered with anxiety for awhile before I sought professional help. After many exhausting trips to urgent cares and emergency rooms, it was time to address my anxiety head on. After a trip to an urgent care in San Diego, a doctor prescribed me 10 0.25mg of Xanax. He said I should try it out to help ease my anxiety. Xanax worked wonders but I knew that it wasn't safe for long term use. I eventually got a new prescription from my primary for a 30 day supply of 0.25mg of Xanax. I used it very sparingly and it took almost three months to finish the 30 day supply. My anxiety was still horrible and I was becoming too reliant on Xanax. I needed help fast! That's when Lexapro changed my life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2013 11:04 PM

Review by SLB lexapro:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Like many I also suffer with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have tried Zoloft and found that ineffective. The side effects were unbearable. I couldn't eat, sleep, and had increased anxiety. Lexapro has helped transform my life positively! I feel like my old self again. The side effects are very minimal. I saw results the first week on this medicine.

June 22, 2013 4:02 PM

Review by domsmomma:

For Depression: I gave birth three weeks ago. About two weeks ago I was hit with postpartum depression like a ton of bricks. Started Lexapro 4 days ago after I could no longer handle the awful depression and anxiety. My overall feelings have dramatically changed. I laughed yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, I'm still depressed but I am seeing a huge difference. Side effects are very minimal, they include being a little tired and a slight headache and some nausea but being where I was, I would definitely take the side effects over my depression.

June 21, 2013 10:14 PM

Review by truiz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make a long story short, I have been battling anxiety and panic attacks for almost ten years. Took many different meds then was put on Lexapro. After a year stopped taking it and went on Zoloft. BIG MISTAKE. Started back on 10 mg two days ago, not having as much anxiety or panic. Just in the mornings waking up feeling anxious. Hopefully this will stop soon. My kids need me to feel better soon.

June 18, 2013 9:36 AM