User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 5)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 177 reviews 7 medications

Depression 339 reviews 77 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 907 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "Been on Lexapro for 2 days. Horrible nausea, headache. My husband asked the pharmacist about help with this. She recommended an over-the-counter liquid called Ematrol. Used by children and adults. It helped. Also sipped ginger ale as needed. Feel very out-of-body, shaky but trying to stick it out as everyone seems to say the first day/week is hell, but then all is good. Am continuing on Klonopin, per my psychiatrist's recommendation, until the Lexapro kicks in. Will try taking it at night, as this seems easier to "ride out" the side effects through sleep."

mattkend August 16, 2015

For Anxiety "Absolutely ineffective for my GAD....stuck with it for a year based on pdoc advice. Now I have to deal with tapering. What a mistake that has been. Additionally, I have tried several other ssri's as well as a few ssri's all to no avail. Suicidal thoughts, intolerable side effects, lack of any efficacy. Without Benzodiazepan's I would not be here now."

Johnny Joe August 16, 2015

For Depression "It works really good. I also have anxiety and for the most part it helps. I still get anxious but that's just a part of life. Only thing about this medication I don't like is that it's very addictive. Not in the way you need to take it and take more of it like pain pills but rather, if you miss a doss or run out and are unable to fill it you will go through withdrawals. Neurological withdrawals, which are awful. So always make sure you get your refills on time!"

Neurologically imperfect August 10, 2015

For Depression "I just started this medicine 3 days ago and I cannot express how much of an effect it has had on me already. I just graduated high school and became depressed soon after, severe anxiety where I couldn't go out to eat without having to vomit. I also couldn't keep focus on anything, especially when trying to talk to people, and overall was in the worst state of my life. Thought I was hopefully, constantly having break downs etc. the doctor prescribed this medicine to me a few months before graduation due to anxiety and overall not feeling myself, I was definitely skeptical and taking medicine in my eyes was a sign of weakness so, I put off the treatment hoping I could cure myself out of this funk. I went to ctb and it helped but it was mainly focused on anxiety. I stopped going because it seemed a waste of my time. Graduation rolls around, my best friends leaves for college really early and my life falls apart. A week was about all I could take of the constant emptiness, headaches and nauseous I got from being so depressed so I decided to start lexapro. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg and the first day I took it (in the morning) I was in a state of euphoria. Just a little background on myself, I was never that outgoing but constantly happy. Never the one to be outgoing in front of strangers and was very conscious of people around me. Not on this pill. I was loopy, could not stop laughing and would not shut up. Although this was great, it did not feel normal and I had very bad dizziness and insomnia that night as the drug began to wear off.. But I wasn't laying in bed miserably like I did countless nights before, I kind of sat there with a smile so it was actually kind of creepy. That morning I called my physician and asked if this was a normal or okay reaction considering I've been told you shouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. He mentioned that it was "weird" that I had this response but it was a negative one. He recommended I cut my dosage in half and stick with taking 5 kg a day since the 10 obviously overtook my body. Within hours of hanging up I popped half a tablet and can honestly say I felt happy without many side effects. I continued this the following day and my relationship with my boyfriend, family, and friends has greatly improved, I sleep better, I can laugh and actually mean it and I can go in public places without constantly being self conscious. I've heard it can have bad results in week 1 and 2 but after taking this medicine for only 3 days, whether it's the placebo effect or not, has saved me and helped me to return to my normal self."

Shayyyyyyd (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I read these reviews which helped me to make a decision to take this med so I will add my experience in the hopes it will help others. I am 56, male and had two minor heart attacks 6 months ago. That and a very stressful job caused many sleepless nights and some stress and anxiety. My Doctor suggested lexipro a few times and I finally decided to give it a try. I was prescribed 10 mg and broke them in half as a trial so 5 mg to start.The first 2-3 days I felt no change but by day 3-4 the side effects kicked in hard. Nausea, severe hot flashes, fullness and tightness in chest, fogginess, very anxious feelings. I decided to stop after 6 days and was worried about any withdrawal but the day I stopped I felt much better. just my experience."

Here's my story (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

For Anxiety "I've been on Lexapro for 2 years. Just recently switched to Effexor and Klonopin. Lexapro never really did much for me. At first, after the 2-week adjustment to the medicine which was hell, I thought it worked. But it may have just been placebo more than the medicine. Had multiple serious near life-changing anxiety attacks while on Lexapro which is why I switched. I couldn't be happier for switching. If you have anxiety, don't waste your time with an SSRI. Also, I've stopped taking lexapro multiple times. It's not too hard, you get aggravated at everything for a few days, the brain shocks aren't nearly as bad as people say they are."

GoJoGoJo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015

For Anxiety "On my fourth day now taking this and I feel so much better. The first 2 days were hell for me. Side effects just like everybody else says. I felt like I was dizzy, nauseous, and had diarrhea. It just made me feel strange. But by the third day I felt amazing. I still felt a little weird at first but the side effects wore off quickly and then and began to stop overthinking things so much. It's almost as if I just started to feel at peace with everything like I was just laid back which is not how I ever was. No more of that chest pain or heavy breathing or sickening nervous feeling. Even my girlfriend could notice a difference in me as I was not so wound up about everything. just happy I can feel normal again"

N89 August 6, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "17. My mood before ranged from sad to completely neutral about everything. I was unmotivated, irritable, had chronic migraines, was constantly exhausted but unable to sleep without meds and felt like I had a huge weight on my shoulders. Now I've been taking Lexapro/ Cipralex for 1 week. I didn't get dry mouth thankfully. I feel lighter, wake up very alert, and less irritable. I had a bit of nausea and some pupil dilation the first couple nights and I feel a bit antsy overall. I found that with Seroquel for sleep, I would fall asleep within half an hour. Combined with Lexapro/Cipralex I can fall asleep within 15 minutes. I take it around 11pm and then I take the Seroquel whenever I want to go to sleep. So far it's been pretty good."

Kat_679 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

For Anxiety "I encountered a bout of hypochondria when Doctors couldn%u2019t diagnose some pain I was having. Slight worry turned into full-blown panic attacks and daylong anxiety. With anxiety comes a bunch of physical symptoms and I was certain each one of those symptoms was more proof of me having some sort of undiscovered health condition, feeding into the anxiety. My physician suggested I try going on Lexapro for 6 months and I was at the end of my rope so I reluctantly agreed. Side effects were horrible but they went away and within 1 month of my first dose I was completley back to normal. I've now been off it for 6 months and its like my entire episode never happened. Lexapro saved my life."

RustyShackleford August 3, 2015

For Anxiety "I love this medication! I have been on it for about a year and it has made my life so much better. I had been living with severe anxiety and depression. After starting lexapro, I had some side effects such as the weird dreams, nausea, dizziness, and increased anxiety. After 2 weeks, I started to feel so much better! I now have less anxiety and I have not had a panic attack in 6 months! It is amazing how great I feel. Finally, I can live my life like a normal 24 year old! My advice to anyone who is on this medicine is to stay on it! It is worth it!"

Court court August 2, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on lexapro 4 days 5mg and found I have nausea and feel very restless and more anxiety I also have the a strange feeling in my leg not sure whether to keep going with medication. My heart feels like it is racing but that could be from the anxiety. Not sure I can rate this so early in taking it."

GeForce August 1, 2015

For Anxiety "I am 28. I have been on this medicine now for 6 months being treated for sever OCD and anxiety. In 6 months time I have gained 30 ish pounds, my Sex drive is gone, I can not sleep at night (horrible and weird dreams), and I still can not stop thinking of a million and one things before I go to bed (example: I need to make my bed, dishes done, kids set for the next day,) I am tired all the time and I have no energy anymore for anything. I feel like I'm a different person. However I am not as bad with my OCD as I was before taking it, I am actually calm at night rather than worried if something will happen, I am just all around calmer. I am up in the air with this drug because it does seem to work but am I too calm. I am not really myself."

Jessie lynn July 31, 2015

For Anxiety "I just finished reading all these reviews about Lexapro, just prior I was reading all the reviews from people trying to get off Lexapro.. Crazy the things people go thru to get on this medication and then just as crazy the things you go thru to get off it. So what to do???? I have been on Lex for approx. 18 months my Dr put me on when there was a lot going on in my life and i told 'I had shopping cart rage" :) among others issues. I too went thru all the crap in the beginning and felt just stick it out. I did and I survived and things seemed better. fast forward 18 months later I thought my life has calmed down and I wanted off the meds. I also have Ambien and Xanax that I take "as needed" which isn't often. I ask my Dr about getting off"

Anonymous July 28, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've just started taking Lexapro 10mg 4 days ago. I have the normal headaches, some nausea, but I also feel restlessness. I do not feel like I'm crawling out of my skin, but I feel like I can't sit still and I have some odd pain in my legs. It isn't cramping or sharp pains per say. It almost feels like a warm sensation. I also feel maybe a bit more anxiety as of now. Is the restlessness and feeling in my legs normal. I wouldn't say it is intolerable, just annoying. Should I continue through the first week? I know I can call my doctor and I plan to, but I would like to see if anyone else has experienced these side effects and if they subsided."

HeavybagsAndHope July 28, 2015

For Anxiety "Don't try it, withdrawal is horrible. 5 days, no relief."

Pacing (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm in my late twenties and I've been prescribed this medication for social anxiety and depression (I live in Canada). I had been in therapy for almost a year before starting taking it, and also doing yoga and meditation for a couple of years. I had basically tried every herb and supplement for anxiety over the years and was very stressed out and secretly suicidal when I went to my doctor. This medication saved me. At first I couldn't eat for about 10 days, no desire to put food in my dry mouth. I also felt a bit drugged and weird. After 2 weeks on the 10 mg dose I started feeling a lot better, and as the weeks went by my anxiety lowered a whole lot. I finally feel like myself, I can speak my mind and let my personality shine. I feel happy!"

xperfume (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Depression "At the age of 55, I found the only drug that has worked for me in 35 years, I can't even begin to explain my childhood or experiences thereafter, as soon as I could, I sought medical attention with my limited finances. Before that, all I could do was drink and have a good time. I thank God I finally was given Lexapro, (Escitalopram.) I felt relief immediately, whereas NOTHING else did, and was happy, After all the drugs I tried, I have no side effects with Lexapro. I hope this gives hope to those who have been searching. God bless you above and beyond your dreams. With LOVE."

Carbini (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2015

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was initially put on Lexapro (5mg) at age 14 for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and it helped drastically and I took it for maybe 8 months. After becoming a victim of sexual assault at age 18 and spending five years in legal battles. I was then diagnosed with (in addition to OCD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, and Depression. I was on Celexa for about six months and felt extreme bursts of anger so my doctor had me switch to Lexapro as my body had adapted to it well as a teen. I was placed on 10mg of Lexapro and have been doing amazing for the last year I have taken it. The first month I vomited nearly every day and was unable to drive myself more than 5 minutes but it really was worth the month of struggle."

MilitaryWife (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2015

For Depression "I seriously used to cry everyday and wonder when my life would change. I felt like I was stuck and had no one to talk to that would understand the way I felt. I used to think of all different ways to end the pain but I knew suicide was not the answer. I felt empty inside and tried everything to make myself feel better. I would turn to food to make myself feel better and I felt I was spiraling out of control. I would isolate myself from everyone. I resulted in cutting myself and I felt a sense of relief. I knew I needed help immediately. I told my doctor everything I was experiencing with tears in my eyes. He prescribed me lexapro and after two weeks I felt like a different person. It made me feel so much better and I could recognize myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2015

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started to get anxiety when I went back to work. I was prescribed lexapro by my doctor and started 3 days ago. A lot of the reviews say to keep sticking with it so I plan too. As far as the side effects, I get the nausea and dizziness but it's not so severe that I can't function. I do however, feel like I'm constantly zoning out and just staring out into space sometimes. I do notice I yawn a lot too and my lower jaw feels really tense all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to keep sticking with this drug. There is such good reviews once the side effects subside and your body adjusts to it."

IREJ July 19, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking two months now lexapro 10 mg and it helped with the insomnia I had due to anxiety.I was taking ambien for two years, but now with lexapro I didn't need ambien anymore to sleep."

elii July 17, 2015

For Depression "I'm a 21 year old female and have been taking lexapro for only a short while,but I can honestly say that it has been a miracle for me.Ive been treated for depression since I was 13.Ive been on everything,paxil,celexa,wellbutrin,zoloft,ability (taken with paxil) and nothing ever worked. I had been suicidal and had been self harming for as long as I can remember. I also have a crippling anxiety that made social interaction painful and almost unbearable.I had been hosptilized once as a teenager for a suicide attempt..But I got a new doctor recently,and she prescribed lexapro. For the first time in as long as I can remember I feel happy.i can actually sleep and not eaten up by worry or hopeless depression.i finally feel like a human being. :)"

moodybluez93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I've been taking Lexapro for almost 6 years now and it has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I first started off with 10mg for about 3 months but didn't notice a huge change in my depression and my anxiety would come and go. After a serious panic attack that hospitalized me for the day my doctor decided to up my dose to 20mg a day. After that I was much happier and less anxious person. My doctor also gave me Xanax for any sudden panic attacks that I do get, but thankfully I haven't had to take it very often (maybe once every 3 months or so). The only side effect I suffered from was drowsiness and it would knock me out at night when I first started. Now in perfectly fine. I'm really glad I started taking this medicine!"

ReaMadison July 10, 2015

For Anxiety "I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

For Anxiety "I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015