User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 620 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by stlgirl30:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Lexapro about a month ago. Initially I was sleepy all the time but I took it at night and now the only side effect is difficulty reaching an orgasm. I love this medicine! I was having several panic attacks a day and since being on 20mg/night I'm back to myself! I'm going to continue. It's like my own "Happy Pill".

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by Feelin like my old self (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had some difficulty with anxiety and depression. I started taking Zoloft in January after a family crisis triggered my anxiety. I was on Zoloft for 8 months, but it stopped working and was making my jaw tense and causing me to grind my teeth. My doctor switched me to Lexapro, and I started at 5mg. I stayed on the 5 mg until my follow-up appointment. The 5 mg starter dosage was not very effective for me. This is my 3rd day on 10 mg of Lexapro. I feel like my old self. I don't shovel food into my face or feel bloated like I did with the Zoloft. I have my old sense of humor back. So far, I have not experienced any sexual side effects, but I noticed that Lexapro is causing a small amount of facial acne. Thumps UP!

August 29, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by It will get better (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I am 47 and have suffered from bouts of depression all my life but about 2 years ago I was hit with depression and panic attacks so severe, I literally wanted to die. I tried a few medications that didn't work and then Lexapro at 10mg. At first I was very disappointed because it didn't help, even after about 3 weeks. Then it was increased to 20mg and I swear within about 3 days I felt like a new person. I have been on it for about 2 years. At times, I have tried decreasing back to 10mg but I end up with the same severe depression/anxiety symptoms. So I will be staying on 20mg. Thank you for making something life Lexapro available to me.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by nj runner (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking 10 mgs. Lexapro now for two months for depression and anxiety. I hope I never have to stop. I started feeling better the first day and it hasn't let up. This has made me feel as good as I did 15 years ago. (Previously it was a slow, steady decline). There are definitely side effects: for me there have been pretty serious fatigue and near-total loss of appetite. I will use weight gain supplements to stop the weight loss if I have to (I already weigh 107 lbs., down from 115lbs), but I'm not sure what to do about the fatigue other than drink more coffee. (I should also note that this medicine completely solved my sleeping problem, literally the first night. I used to never sleep; now I sleep 7 hours. A miracle for me!).

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by god son:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I had for at least 11 years suffered from anxiety disorder for years. Worrying, palpitations, shortness of breath, basically all the popular anxiety symptoms. I am on Lexapro because it does work. Side effects like lower sex drive, difficulty reaching orgasm, insomnia all go away. I find myself fearless, my life is active, no more "what if's" and no anxiety attacks. It's a miracle pill. BUT, I was 135 pounds, skinny. I'm 5'5 I had an amazing metabolism my body was rock solid. After 3 years of Lexapro I am now 165 pounds. I have to try work out and eat healthy I know. Please don't wait as long as I did to change your life and get back to your wonderfully made self!

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 1:41 AM

Review by Slap Happy:

For Depression: I was at a breaking point and couldn't take any more bad thought and sad days. It got to the point where I was crying up to 4 times a day, snapping at my husband and kids, having to call in to work because I couldn't pull it together long enough to function. It was bad. I had negative thoughts and obsessed about something bad happening to myself or my daughter and not at the hands of myself. Side effects were bad at first-insomnia, nausea, swimmy head, anxiety, those only lasted until about day 5 and was told to push through and tough it out. Every day since has been better and better and I finally feel normal again. Lexapro saved my life.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 3:20 PM

Review by picmic:

For Anxiety: I have been taking Lexapro for approx. three months, 10 mg/day. It has helped a great deal to reduce my anxiety and depression. I still have good days and not so good, but rarely fall back to where I was (sounds like many people on this have experience the same). I agree it has some side effects, but when you consider the benefit, its well worth it.

August 22, 2013 9:08 AM

Review by Samanthak:

For Depression: Would definitely recommend this for severe depression and anxiety. Very few side effects and I started feeling better within a week. Definitely a life saver for clinical depression and anxiety.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Review by Mike W S:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I never thought I would take something like this. About 9 months ago my marriage was rapidly falling apart after over two decades. My whole life was filled with general social anxiety which I'd more or less learned to tolerate through behavior self-control. My wife insisted I try therapy, but that was a general waste of valuable time until I brought up the subject of taking medicines (I was getting desperate). My therapist wend ahead and let me try Lexapro. It took several weeks for my body to stabilize and get used to the changes (including mental). It's the best decision I've made in my life. Marriage is better than ever and my anxieties are history.

August 16, 2013 10:34 AM

Review by Eboneeza (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've tried every anti-depressant out there and for some reason couldn't seem to find one that eliminated my problems all at once! Depression, anxiety, panic attacks and a little obsessive compulsive disorder! Just to name a few. I've been on Lexapro for 4 years now and it's the best medication of its kind out there. The only time I get a little anxious is if I have had a late night and a few too many drinks but that's expected. Anyone looking to take anti-depressants with basically no side effects. I highly recommend Lexapro.

August 14, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by bannanas (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I used Lexapro about ten years ago for a year and went back on it a couple months ago. For a couple days at the start, I felt a bit of pressure in my head--a mild squeezing sensation--but nothing too bad. Now, no side effects at all and I'm feeling decidedly better. The constant feeling of dread is gone and my thinking is clearer. A wonderful help. I'm not worried about going off it eventually. Last time I just tapered down. I had some vivid dreams, but that was it.

August 8, 2013 9:06 PM

Review by JaneKatherine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was on Lexapro 10mg and Abilify 10 mg for about 5 months, and overall it helped with my anxiety. I didn't feel as stressed at work and school, but it kind of made me a zombie. I haven't cried in 5 months, and I hardly feel any emotions. Which I guess is good for people suffering from depression. It completely killed my sex drive so I went to my doctor the other day and switched prescriptions. Currently withdrawing from this medication and it sucks. Getting light-headed and dizzy and vomited a lot the other day.

August 8, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by ecb1980:

For Anxiety: Definitely improving my life. I'm less stressed at work and life with the kids is easier. Some social settings (crowds) still bothersome, but I'm getting there. One of the pages I read warned about caffeine intake, they weren't kidding. I cut out caffeine and it lessened my mood swings. Please read about interactions with other medicines when you start something new, it makes a difference!

August 6, 2013 7:57 AM

Review by PaulaLM (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: Not every medicine is for everyone, but as one who has tried most of the major pharmaceuticals for major depression, panic attacks, severe anxiety and anxiety related bouts of obsessive compulsive disorder, I can tell you Lexapro is the only medicine that I've been able to stay on and be effective for my mental well-being...it is the only one I've had no side effects with. Other SSRI's have either: made me more anxious and/or depressed, dry mouth, BAD weight gain, or extreme fatigue making me into a walking zombie during the day. I've been on Lexapro 6 years now taking from 20 to 30 milligrams each day. During the months with the most sunshine, 20mg is effective. During months of winter, I have to bump it up by 10 mg's. I supplement with 4000 to 6000 IU's of D3 daily

August 5, 2013 10:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro about a year and a half ago after suffering from severe depression and anxiety (female, 23). Started on 10mg and have just upped the dosage to 20mg. I get a yawn and get a bit of nausea, also makes me a bit frigidity/hard to focus. Even so, it's done wonders on my moods and how my brain seems to function. It helps me sleep, I don't have crazy vivid dreams any more. If I miss a dose or two you can really tell the difference. It definitely mellows me out and I feel like I can manage basic day to day things since starting it. I have had some trouble with orgasming, however not always. Can't drink any alcohol on it because it goes straight my head and makes me go silly. Lexapro has changed my life.

July 29, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by frostbite, 58, male (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: It helps with anxiety but actually causes depression for me. Plus, I've gained weight, even when on a starvation type diet. I'm slowing weening myself off, down to 2.5 mg a day, next week I'm stopping completely. I just want to have a clear head, instead of feeling like a zombie.

July 27, 2013 11:34 AM

Review by Torreypine:

For Anxiety: I have been on Lexapro for three and a half years- it has completely changed my life, my moods, my behavior and my reactions to life for the better. I noticed an improvement within. 24 hours after starting Lexapro.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 7:50 PM

Review by Abbey25:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was given Lexapro about 11 days ago for my extreme anxiety. My situation is strange because this anxiety seemed to come out of no where and I was desperate for help. My doctor gave me Lexapro. I started feeling depressed, mainly because I saw that Lexapro is an antidepressant and my mind was playing tricks on me! Today I am feeling so much better and believe Lexapro has helped me. Only side effects have been a bit jittery and night sweats. If you are so desperate to get help for anxiety/depression WHO CARES about side effects. I recommend Lexapro and plan to stop taking it after being stable for a few months.

July 24, 2013 1:36 AM

Review by Thiago Amaro (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This is my first review of a medication, so I'm not a pro. I've been using Lexapro over the past 3 years, and I can tell you that I'm almost cured. I never had depression, only anxiety and panic attacks. I've been through 5, 10, 15, 20mg, and now I'm coming back and I'm already on 10mg again. The side effects suffered when our doctors changes the milligrams are strong (at least they are for me), but its totally worth it!

July 21, 2013 11:17 PM

Review by Ddiazepam (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on Lexapro for under three weeks now and it's been pretty great so far. I suffer from severe general and social anxiety and also depression. I started on 10mg for the first four days, then upped to 20mg on the fifth day. I noticed slight results after day four and to this day the over thinking and gut wrenching anxiety has been lessened. I have no depression anymore and it's close to impossible to care about stressful situations. I'm well aware it can take up to two months for Lexapro to fully take effect, however I feel the positive benefits already. Definitely something worth a try! Especially if you have anxiety and depression that is out of control. Besides the side effects, which are slowly fading away, Lexapro is great

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2013 4:13 AM

Review by Romanygrl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Extremely effective with no side effects other than drowsiness for first three days. Generic brands result in withdrawal symptoms- no idea why. Cannot miss more than one dose even on proper Lexapro or withdrawal symptoms occur.

July 20, 2013 9:18 AM

For Anxiety: I never comment on these this but I feel this website sharing positive experiences helped me a lot. I had my first panic attack two months ago after a night out. Weeks of having 3-4 panic attacks a day and massive levels of anxiety followed. I tried to carry on with life as normal going to work, etc. and started CBT, which helped me establish it had started due to increased stress from work. I struggled to get on trains, tubes, eating in restaurant's, shopping...pretty much every day to day task. When I was put onto Cipralex and for the first four weeks I had high levels on anxiety, headaches, disassociation, tight chest, chest pains. Now on week 5 on Lexapro I am feeling much better and can do everything I did before with only low levels of anxiety.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2013 4:19 PM

Review by Stamptician:

For Fibromyalgia: I have just requested to go back on Lexapro. I took it for several years and it worked wonders for my depression and anxiety. In 2005, I made the switch to Cymbalta due to my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Although Cymbalta seems to have helped with the pain, I have been so depressed and anxious. Not to mention my out of pocket costs for Cymbalta. I welcome Lexapro back into my life!

July 19, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: (escitalopram)

July 17, 2013 10:41 AM

Review by Scjoz:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been severely bipolar since I can remember. My emotions controlled me instead of the other way around my whole life. It's tough to convey my struggles in a short quip. I am on 20mg of Lexapro and for the first time in my life (34 yrs) I feel normal. I take it before bed with Unisom. My life has changed drastically in one month. I went from drinking and drugs 2-4 times a week to waking up at 7 and keeping a schedule. I notice and feel a huge difference in my thoughts, not racing. I noticed that symptom gone immediately. Mood swings, gone. Depression, still shows itself but more moments of peace and clarity. I am a happy gal.

July 16, 2013 7:57 AM