User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 5)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 195 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 21 reviews 46 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 965 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I posted in Oct. My 9 yr. Old has Aspergers and my life was hard. It is now the last week of month 2 on 10mg. of Lexapro. OMG!!! Is this what normal really feels like!? Please.. if you have anxiety and possible depression give this drug a chance. I feel like a new person. I laugh at shows now, I have a sense of humor again. My spouse is spending more time around me since I am more pleseant to be around. I cooked a small Thx giving dinner for 4 from scratch in 4 hours without stressing it. I can watch sad movies and feel the emotions but not cry through the whole show or movie. Find myself interested in things I used to enjoy but stopped. I am glad I hung in and listened to others who said to give it 6-8 weeks for full effect.They were right.:)"

Special needs Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2015

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I had suffered with mild depression for quite a few years, The Dr. had prescribed several anti-depressants over the years, with mild effectiveness, so I stopped taking them. When I was in my mid 30's, I had an episode where I thought I was having a heart attack. After going to the ER, I was diagnosed with having panic disorder. I was totally embarrassed and thought I was being a hypocondriac. These panic attacks continued on and on. I had enough, and told my Dr. about it. She prescribed Lexapro. I reluctantly took it, thinking it would be like the others.I was totally wrong. I finally felt like my true self....not afraid, or anxious and no more panic attacks! I can finally live my life without fear. So thankful for this medication."

ECD20 November 25, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Lexapro nearly two years ago after struggling with generalised and social anxiety for years. I have been taking 5mg consistently. Side effects were noticeable for the first week or so but now I get none at all. No sexual side effects whatsoever. In the time I've been taking it I've relocated to a new job and had a promotion, motivation through the roof. The negative thought patterns have disappeared."

Brisbane John November 24, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "When I first started taking this medication, I was determined to end it all. Four years later, I'm the happiest person I know. I still have a high sex drive, although I've known people to say that lexapro takes it away for them. I didn't gain any weight and I've learned through meditation and breathing techniques to handle what small anxiety attacks I may get in my hectic life (two jobs, an apartment, school, long distance boyfriend) and at 20 years old I'm better off than most of my friends and feel like I can accomplish anything. Lexapro saved my life."

Marytaylor November 20, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "At age 59 I had my first panic attack along with anxiety that would last all day and into the evening. I was given Prozac which I believe caused the symptoms to occur. After just one week on Lexapro 20 mg my anxiety completely disappeared and I haven't had a panic attack since. I would highly recommend Lexapro for anyone suffering from depression and anxiety couples together. I don't walk in fear now I'm completely relaxed and confident! Thank God for this medication!"

Prodigious (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2015

For Anxiety "I was having terrible anxiety out of the blue at age 59 they anxiety lasted all day and into the evening for one month. I was on Prozac and the doctor put me on Lexapro instead and my anxiety was gone by the third day of taking it! It has worked wonderfully for me I feel normal again and not so fearful!"

Prodigious November 19, 2015

For Depression "I've tried almost every antidepressant. I read the reviews on Lexapro and was prepared for a rough introductory period. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt better than ever...not suicidal, no general anxiety issues, I even felt like I could stand up for myself and not be a doormat. But after the first 6 weeks, I started feeling numb in my heart (you know, no true emotions) and became a cold, mean person. Not to mention the sexual side effects, making it even harder on my marriage. I've backed off of it now to try yet another pill, so I'm suicidal and severely anxious and depressed again, but I haven't felt any other emotions yet."

PamaLove8180 November 16, 2015

For Depression "To anyone taking Lexapro or any antidepressant: DO NOT believe all the negative reviews you read here or elsewhere. Do not let them scare you away from taking one of these drugs. The drugs are not miracle workers, but they do help some by taking the edge off and by not letting you obsess on your feelings and thoughts. You have to give them time, at least SIX WEEKS. If no improvement, up the dose per your Dr's permission or switch to another. The side effects are mild, and that is despite what anyone says to the contrary. Antidepressants work best in combination with psychotherapy, but they are also effective when taken by themselves. You will eventually feel better."

RB81 November 15, 2015

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I'm 19 years old and I've had anxiety since I was a kid. When my family would sing happy birthday to me, I would have a panic attack and cry. I cried every day my kindergarden year. My anxiety got worse over the years but my parents are those types that don't believe in medication and mental disorders. This year, since being an adult and being able to make my own decisions, I decided to see a therapist. They started me out on 5mg lexapro. The first month was like heaven. I could hold conversations with strangers, go to restaurants and not have a panic attack trying to order food, and so on. After that first month the medicine just stopped working. I was tired and sick all the time and it made me have horrible bursts of anger. Don't take this!!"

Krlewisr November 13, 2015

For Depression "Lexapro works! I didn't have any side effects except for small headaches for the first couple of weeks that would show up for 10 seconds, then be gone. I did notice for the first week that I would have carb cravings and I didn't get full as quickly, but I watched what I ate and tried not to give in to any crazy cravings. I have not gained any additional weight. The first day I took the lexapro, it kicked in around 5-6pm and I just got insanely giggly and happy. All of a sudden, it was like a breeze blew past my mind and the little gremlin in my mind that constantly said "I hate everything" was gone. I do notice short term memory is easily forgotten; out of sight, out of mind. I'm sure that's due to relief from anxiety. I am finally happy!"

Iamaunicorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I took this after being on Zoloft for anxiety & social phobia. Zoloft didn't work (I was on it for about 4 weeks and it gave me terrible headaches, couldn't sleep, but felt tired all the time). After about 2 weeks of being on Lexapro, I got severe anxiousness and anger and rage. I had it for 3 days straight and my husband told me to call the doc and get off the meds. I also was dizzy all the time so much that I couldn't stand up without having to immediately sit down because of the world spinning. I'm switching over to Efexxor now and hoping that will help."

vegans save the world (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

For Depression "I didn't think it loxalate could help me, I thought my bad life choices and my past and future was just something I had to live with. I didn't see myself as depressed, I just thought I had stuffed up my life. I thought when I told my Dr that I was feely down he would question me intensively. Not so ! He just handed me a small questionnaire with about 10 questions on how I was feeling ,,,, multi choice answers numbered 1 to 5 My score result suggested I was depressed and he prescribed me 10mg loxa late tablets. I felt relieved for the first few days, but then it took more than 2 weeks for the tablets to start. Now after 5 weeks I've gone from feeling 3 out of 10 to 6/10. I never miss a tablet and I stopped my occasional alcohol drink"

Started November 10, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "At 37 I was woken in the night by my first panic attack, I dialed 911. For 4 months I've been crippled with 24-7 severe anxiety accompanied with 2-4 panic attacks a day. Looking back I've had GAD my whole life but a stressful event finally brought it to the surface. After 3 months I sought a psychiatrist and today is day 14 on generic Lexapro (Escitalopram.) I began on 5mg and yesterday was increased to 7.5. Within 9 days I noted improvment but I had bad side effects. I made myself hang on and today I can tell you IT WORKS! I have a ways to go and will update as I progress but this medicine meant life or death to me and has in 14 days allowed me to care for myself and my kids again. Push through the side effects and give it time! It works!"

IntoTheLight (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2015

For Anxiety "I suffer from major anxiety and panic attacks. My dr started me on 5mg of lexapro and been taking it for 6 days now. Im not sure if I should continue the medication. Im having weird feelings in my chest tightness fluttering feeling that makes me cough. Also I feel a lot of pressure in my head and daily headaches. It causes more anxiety for me so taking xanax to help. Anyone having these side effects?"

Anonymous November 5, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The only drug that has been effective in treating my anxiety that isn't a benzo (Klonopin Xanex etc) has been Paxil CR, which reaches full efficacy within a week. Problem with the benzos that is it only lasts for a few months before I start going even more nuts than before, and the withdrawal makes me borderline suicidal. I told my primary I wanted to try something new and she prescribed the lexapro. After one week on 5mg anxiety symptoms are reduced greatly and I'm willing to try 10mg to see if they are eliminated completely but will wait out the full efficacy period before asking. No side effects (huge improvement over Paxil jitters) besides reduced libido (which I'm ok with)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

For Anxiety "I've had serious anxiety since I was a teen. In the last 4 years (thanks to some random health issues) it has skyrocketed and life has become unbearable. Everyday I thought I was having a heart attack - despite stellar cardio results. Anxiety took full control of my life - mentally and physically. Xanax and booze (not together) work like a charm but I fear the addiction potential. My doc put me on low dose of Lexapro (5 mg) and within 48 hours all my crazy anxiety ended. Gone. I feel normal again - it's been YEARS since I've felt this way. Small sexual side effect (long time to ejaculate) and slight weight gain but I'm ok with that. Another side effect: my co-workers & friends like me again."

Scorbett November 2, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Stated taking Lexapro 10/22/2015. Immediately afterward, could not achieve an erection or an orgasm."

Affected My Sex Life (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2015

For Depression "I just wanted to post my experience with lexapro. I have been on it for about four weeks and it has changed my life for the best. Before I got prescribed this medicine I was going to bed crying and waking up crying. Couldn't keep up with my Mother duties cause I was scared I was going to die and was having horrible panic attacks. I have not had any panic attacks since the end of the first week and I have not had the nausea feeling since week three, so I am doing way better. Didn't really have any other side effects from the medicine. I can't wait to I see my doctor so I can thank her for saving me from anxiety and depression."

Mother of three girls (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I went on lexapro to control my depression caused by depo, and it was awful. It stopped my anxiety attacks, but I was still constantly paranoid. It helped with most of my depression. The lows were not as frequent or severe. However, it made me gain 30 lbs in a year. No amount of exercise of diet would help. I would not recommend this medication."

Katie141516 October 28, 2015

For Anxiety "I am 19 years old. I had severe panic attacks before dates and would get sick right in front of them. Also, had trouble talking to "higher ups" at work. My doc put me on 10 mg Lexapro for social anxiety disorder. Worked right away after the first dose. Takes away all pain and worrying. The only bad thing is I feel like my life is all in slow motion and can't be bothered about anything. Puts you in your happy place. No need to suffer anymore, there is an answer!"

anonymous22987 (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

For Anxiety "I was having a lot of anxiety over trying to raise my RAD (Reactive attachment disorder) niece. I didn't feel depressed just anxious and had panic attacks. Her and I were in a power struggle. This med helped me relax and pick my battles and not get over zealous about thing. The bad thing is within 5 months I gained 15 pounds not changing my eating habits at all. The 6th month I tried to lose weight and could not so I went back and got on something else."

MomofRad October 23, 2015

For Anxiety "I suffer from severe social and general anxiety. Started on lexapro about a month ago. Took 10mg daily for 3 and 1/2 weeks with little results. I would always check these reviews because I saw how much it had changed many people's lives so I was trying to stay optimistic. side affects were tough the first week but went away quickly. Not much help with anxiety, all I really noticed was a "cloudy headed" feeling all day. Don't give up taking it though! This drug does wonders for many people."

Kurp (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Anxiety "Hi. I am on day 16 of 10mg. The first 6 days I was very tired, excessively. But the majority of my anxiety was gone by then. Days 6-8 I had severe insomnia, it passed and by day 9 I had no racing thoughts before going to slep. Today is day 16. I feel better about my life circumstances. I have a 9 year old with Aspergers. I am no longer spending every waking moment obsessing over what will become of his future. My cognitve functioning seems clearer. Have been able to keep up more with home chores. Still not as energised as I would like to be. Coffee makes me more jittery since starting the meds. I can now tell the differnce between caffeine jitters and my real anxiety though. I am hoping that by week 6-8 I have even more clarity."

Anxiety & Slight Depression (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Depression "Hi. I am on day 16 of 10mg. The first 6 days I was very tired, excessively. But the majority of my anxiety was gone by then. Days 6-8 I had severe insomnia, it passed and by day 9 I had no racing thoughts before going to slep. Today is day 16. I feel better about my life circumstances. I have a 9 year old with Aspergers. I am no longer spending every waking moment obsessing over what will become of his future. My cognitve functioning seems clearer. Have been able to keep up more with home chores. Still not as energised as I would like to be. Coffee makes me more jittery since starting the meds. I can now tell the differnce between caffeine jitters and my real anxiety though. I am hoping that by week 6-8 I have even more clarity."

Anxiety & Slight Depressed moo (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Anxiety "This medicine absolutely almost ruined my life, to the point I was going to lose EVERYTHING. It made me nauseous, tired, loss of sex drive , made me want to drink 24/7 all because I DIDN'T CARE ANYMORE! I lost 2 jobs, because I had no desire to function basically. I have been off it for 2 weeks now now and the side effects from coming off this medication is not bad at all. I feel happy again, a little anxiety but omg I'll deal with it the natural way. ...exercise or just enjoy my family again. "

Cf123082 October 14, 2015