User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 96 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 643 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by Paul6999B:

For Depression: I am a 60 year male who became disabled 14 years ago. Every since I was unable to work or even walk I have been very depressed and had severe anxiety. Once I was started on 20 mgs of Lexapro I felt like a new person. It took a week or so for the full effect to come on but have had no problems with side effects at all. Thank God for Lexapro!

November 4, 2013 1:56 PM

Review by flipp:

For Anxiety: Life saver for my anxiety

November 4, 2013 8:49 AM

Review by anonymous251 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro is extremely helpful in reducing my generalized anxiety disorder. I need to take a Xanax very very rarely in case of panic attack or severe anxiety that the Lexapro doesn't cut it but 98% of the time Lexapro knocks out my feelings of rumination from generalized anxiety, panic and fear.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2013 7:56 PM

Review by Emily_22 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I was only on Lexapro for 2 weeks but in that time, I had a headache everyday, would get extremely tense muscles and the back of my neck, was very drowsy (took a few 2+ hour naps), felt dizzy (had some vertigo effects), couldn't focus on anything, and completely lost the ability to orgasm which caused my partner a lot of stress and made sex frustrating instead of enjoyable. I was on 5mg for a week then 10mg. It just wasn't worth it for me. I'm now taking Wellbutrin SR and like it so far (only on my 3rd day).

October 19, 2013 7:17 PM

Review by Constance Sue:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and depression and panic attacks. My first reaction to my anxiety was to drink alcohol. Since alcohol is a depressant, that made everything worse. Now that I am on this medication, I feel like I'm back old self - and I have no desire for alcohol (which should not be taken with this medication anyway). I started with 10mg initially and had a lot of side effects (nausea, diarrhea, etc.) and was very lethargic, so I cut it in half and tried again. I can't tell you how much this medication has helped me. Remember, our body chemistries are all different, so sometimes adjustment have to be made initially. Now I'm on 10mg and I feel like a new woman.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by Dr. DZ:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Had terrible reaction to this medication. Could only tolerate it for one week. Increased anxiety levels, restlessness.

October 11, 2013 8:26 PM

Review by Nettle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Worked wonders for stabilising my mood - and my ability to leave the house! Been taking it for about two years now. only thing I find is it starts to 'wear off' after a few months. My doctor has me come off them for a month and then go back on when this happens and I find this much more effective than upping the dose. Main side effect for me has been insomnia. A small price to pay for the huge positive impact Lexapro has made on my life.

October 10, 2013 7:20 PM

Review by Mandypants:

For Depression: I'm 27 and have been on Lexapro for 8 months. I take 10mg/day (5mg in the morning, 5mg in the evening). I've been depressed since I was 14 and as an adult started having severe anxiety. I was in therapy for 10 yrs but still having a lot of trouble functioning. Lexapro has really made me FUNCTIONAL and happy, I enjoy my hobbies/friends more and I no longer obsess about things until I break myself down. MAJOR EFFECT FOR ME IS REDUCING OBSESSIVE THOUGHTS, cycles of worry/loneliness. I'm so happy with this medicine and want to be on it the rest of my life. My friendships, work, and romantic relationships are healthier. Only side effects are drowsiness (fixed by taking 2 small doses instead of 1 big one) and vivid dreams (awesome).

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by Tetta (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Just wanted to thank you everyone who took their time to write these reviews. I was adamant I was going to overcome anxiety by myself but I lost more and more control. Lived in the constant fear of it and was obsessed. My life has been literally on hold for the last 8 weeks and my husband and children have suffered from it too. After reading your reviews yesterday I took my first Lexapro, didn't think it would work for a few weeks but actually the effect was pretty immediate, about an hour after taking it I went out and suddenly realized the world, the color, the people everything looked like it used too! Very little side effects so far, only dry mouth and poor appetite. So far so good.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 2:15 AM

Review by Mike2014:

For Anxiety: I got sick from it, diarrhea. I started having ear trouble and started hallucinating.

October 2, 2013 6:03 PM

Review by monetkay5 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was on Lexapro for 14 months, 10 MG. I was hungry every 3 hours and gained 8 lbs. After I stopped Lexapro the excessive hunger disappeared. Also while on Lexapro I thought I had developed irritable bowel syndrome but all symptoms stopped when I went off Lexapro.

October 1, 2013 3:03 PM

Review by Flynn1234:

For Depression: After transitioning into university I had a really horrible time with anxiety. I started to feel down all the time and couldn't stand it. First I was given 10mgs and I worked well for the first two weeks, then I just felt worse. Been on 20mg and that is the perfect dose for me. I feel normal again, it's great to feel the way I used too.

September 27, 2013 3:27 AM

Review by vjh463:

For Depression: 50 year old male with depression and anxiety from life changes and job. Resisted for a long time and judged others on SSRIs as weak. Finally crashed and admitted I needed help. Three months out now on 10 mg/day. Initial side effects were chills, yawns and slightly tense jaw muscles. All of that disappeared. Now I'm free of depressive bouts and greatly reduced anxiety. Has allowed me to enjoy things again and I get better sleep. I take it in the morning.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by hjjj:

For Depression: I was prescribed 10 mg once a day for depression and anxiety. After 3 months, I did notice a change in my mood. I would say it took about 3 weeks for me to notice a difference. I wasn't as anxious, less panic attacks and I wasn't as "down in the dumps". However, for me the side effects nulled the good. My sex drive decreased a good bit which caused problems in my relationship. I also experienced increased headaches, brain "zaps" and I was ALWAYS tired. I would yawn all day long LITERALLY. Being a full time college student, this was not good. I was too tired to enjoy life. All I wanted to do was sleep. I am now on Prozac.

September 25, 2013 9:06 PM

Review by sassypantsej:

For Anxiety: I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro for about 6 years. I am so thankful for this medication. I am a crying weepy mess without it!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2013 11:35 AM

Review by the teen (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: It totally helped me out. I took for 4 months, it really helps.

September 23, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by Berrier2:

For Anxiety: I've been taking Lexapro for 2 months now for depression and panic attacks, which seem to come from nowhere (and I've never truly understood how scary a panic attack could be until that moment). It has helped me tremendously! Suddenly this last week the side effects which had seemed to taper, have returned. I have the addition of a headache (which I did not have in the beginning) and irritability. I'm also noticeably more tired than I was before. I am now taking the Lexapro in the evening instead of in the morning to help with sleep - but am curious if it is normal to have the side effects go in waves? It seemed as if they were mostly gone except for the lethargy, now they are increasing.

September 23, 2013 5:53 PM

Review by Goodeday (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Started Lexapro 10 mg 11 days ago. At first the side effects were very obvious. 1st day dry mouth, dizzy, tired.2nd day, fuzzy feeling, dizzy, tired.Each day got better & Better. By day 5 I wasn't napping anymore. Before Lexapro, I was having serious sleep problems, probably half my depression problem. Well I am sleeping like the dead! Waking up feeling completely refreshed & awake! My anxiety is gone. No more crazy thoughts and negative self talk! Feeling happy for the first time in a year. Try not to read all the negative reviews. Remember a lot of people have other things going on mentally, physically, etc. Some people also combine other medicines with Lexapro. I'm only on Lexapro. So far the only thing is that I can't orgasm. Hoping that goes away.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 5:40 PM

Review by nervousnick (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: If you're suffering, you need to fix you! This medication is the most important thing to ever happen in my life. I went from a nervous, neurotic, obsessional wreck, to calm, cool and in-control dude - and I only take 5-10 mg (I'm 6' 4"). Over the last seven years, I've taken it on average 1-2 months out of the year - only when needed and never more than 6-8 weeks. I prefer not to be on anything, but when my health and business decline because of my mood, I immediately break the safety glass and reach for the Lexapro. And if for some reason Lexapro doesn't work for you, work with your doctor to find the right medicine so you can feel better. (I've tried 6 different medicines, we all have different chemistries - never give up.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 5:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Lexapro worked well for me initially and helped me through a dark time. Started on 5mg and increased does over time to 10mg, then 20mg. However on the highest dose I felt very fuzzy-headed, and unmotivated. Couldn't concentrate and my mind wandered off constantly. Made it difficult at work where I have a high-pressure job. I was weaned off the medicine and now feel much better. Thankfully it worked really well at the start, when I needed it.

September 13, 2013 5:52 AM

Review by EMBERRY:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was always a worrier and an anxious individual. It never came to mind to label these characteristics as someone suffering from generalized anxiety disorder. Well late last year I began to worry obsessively about my health and became completely consumed by my fearful thoughts. One panic attack led to another and before I knew what had happened, I could barely leave the house or function. That's when I realized I needed help. Admitting that I needed help was probably the hardest part of my struggle since I always thought of myself as an independent and confident person. I was put on 10mg of Lexapro and after approximately 5 weeks I was able to "live" again with some mild anxiety. I did gain about 10 pounds in the 9 months since starting the medication, worth it!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 3:44 PM

Review by DNH (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: After hitting an all time low I had to do something. I was very apprehensive about taking this. The listed side effects alone are enough. I have depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I started taking this medication at night with the 5mg. I will eventually increase to 10mg. So far this has been the best decision of my life. No side effects yet, it's only been a week. The day I 1st started this medicine I was in the worst mood of my life. The night before my husband told me he wanted to separate if I didn't change. Within an hour of taking this I immediately felt better. I hope things continue to go this well.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by Sfhkygcwcv:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro is a miracle for me. Irrational anxiety is 95% gone.

September 8, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by stlgirl30:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Lexapro about a month ago. Initially I was sleepy all the time but I took it at night and now the only side effect is difficulty reaching an orgasm. I love this medicine! I was having several panic attacks a day and since being on 20mg/night I'm back to myself! I'm going to continue. It's like my own "Happy Pill".

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by Feelin like my old self (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had some difficulty with anxiety and depression. I started taking Zoloft in January after a family crisis triggered my anxiety. I was on Zoloft for 8 months, but it stopped working and was making my jaw tense and causing me to grind my teeth. My doctor switched me to Lexapro, and I started at 5mg. I stayed on the 5 mg until my follow-up appointment. The 5 mg starter dosage was not very effective for me. This is my 3rd day on 10 mg of Lexapro. I feel like my old self. I don't shovel food into my face or feel bloated like I did with the Zoloft. I have my old sense of humor back. So far, I have not experienced any sexual side effects, but I noticed that Lexapro is causing a small amount of facial acne. Thumps UP!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 2:09 PM