User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 92 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 627 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by Berrier2:

For Anxiety: I've been taking Lexapro for 2 months now for depression and panic attacks, which seem to come from nowhere (and I've never truly understood how scary a panic attack could be until that moment). It has helped me tremendously! Suddenly this last week the side effects which had seemed to taper, have returned. I have the addition of a headache (which I did not have in the beginning) and irritability. I'm also noticeably more tired than I was before. I am now taking the Lexapro in the evening instead of in the morning to help with sleep - but am curious if it is normal to have the side effects go in waves? It seemed as if they were mostly gone except for the lethargy, now they are increasing.

September 23, 2013 5:53 PM

Review by Goodeday (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Started Lexapro 10 mg 11 days ago. At first the side effects were very obvious. 1st day dry mouth, dizzy, tired.2nd day, fuzzy feeling, dizzy, tired.Each day got better & Better. By day 5 I wasn't napping anymore. Before Lexapro, I was having serious sleep problems, probably half my depression problem. Well I am sleeping like the dead! Waking up feeling completely refreshed & awake! My anxiety is gone. No more crazy thoughts and negative self talk! Feeling happy for the first time in a year. Try not to read all the negative reviews. Remember a lot of people have other things going on mentally, physically, etc. Some people also combine other medicines with Lexapro. I'm only on Lexapro. So far the only thing is that I can't orgasm. Hoping that goes away.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 5:40 PM

Review by nervousnick (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: If you're suffering, you need to fix you! This medication is the most important thing to ever happen in my life. I went from a nervous, neurotic, obsessional wreck, to calm, cool and in-control dude - and I only take 5-10 mg (I'm 6' 4"). Over the last seven years, I've taken it on average 1-2 months out of the year - only when needed and never more than 6-8 weeks. I prefer not to be on anything, but when my health and business decline because of my mood, I immediately break the safety glass and reach for the Lexapro. And if for some reason Lexapro doesn't work for you, work with your doctor to find the right medicine so you can feel better. (I've tried 6 different medicines, we all have different chemistries - never give up.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 5:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Lexapro worked well for me initially and helped me through a dark time. Started on 5mg and increased does over time to 10mg, then 20mg. However on the highest dose I felt very fuzzy-headed, and unmotivated. Couldn't concentrate and my mind wandered off constantly. Made it difficult at work where I have a high-pressure job. I was weaned off the medicine and now feel much better. Thankfully it worked really well at the start, when I needed it.

September 13, 2013 5:52 AM

Review by EMBERRY:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was always a worrier and an anxious individual. It never came to mind to label these characteristics as someone suffering from generalized anxiety disorder. Well late last year I began to worry obsessively about my health and became completely consumed by my fearful thoughts. One panic attack led to another and before I knew what had happened, I could barely leave the house or function. That's when I realized I needed help. Admitting that I needed help was probably the hardest part of my struggle since I always thought of myself as an independent and confident person. I was put on 10mg of Lexapro and after approximately 5 weeks I was able to "live" again with some mild anxiety. I did gain about 10 pounds in the 9 months since starting the medication, worth it!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 3:44 PM

Review by DNH (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: After hitting an all time low I had to do something. I was very apprehensive about taking this. The listed side effects alone are enough. I have depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I started taking this medication at night with the 5mg. I will eventually increase to 10mg. So far this has been the best decision of my life. No side effects yet, it's only been a week. The day I 1st started this medicine I was in the worst mood of my life. The night before my husband told me he wanted to separate if I didn't change. Within an hour of taking this I immediately felt better. I hope things continue to go this well.

September 10, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by Sfhkygcwcv:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro is a miracle for me. Irrational anxiety is 95% gone.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by stlgirl30:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Lexapro about a month ago. Initially I was sleepy all the time but I took it at night and now the only side effect is difficulty reaching an orgasm. I love this medicine! I was having several panic attacks a day and since being on 20mg/night I'm back to myself! I'm going to continue. It's like my own "Happy Pill".

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by Feelin like my old self (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had some difficulty with anxiety and depression. I started taking Zoloft in January after a family crisis triggered my anxiety. I was on Zoloft for 8 months, but it stopped working and was making my jaw tense and causing me to grind my teeth. My doctor switched me to Lexapro, and I started at 5mg. I stayed on the 5 mg until my follow-up appointment. The 5 mg starter dosage was not very effective for me. This is my 3rd day on 10 mg of Lexapro. I feel like my old self. I don't shovel food into my face or feel bloated like I did with the Zoloft. I have my old sense of humor back. So far, I have not experienced any sexual side effects, but I noticed that Lexapro is causing a small amount of facial acne. Thumps UP!

August 29, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by It will get better (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I am 47 and have suffered from bouts of depression all my life but about 2 years ago I was hit with depression and panic attacks so severe, I literally wanted to die. I tried a few medications that didn't work and then Lexapro at 10mg. At first I was very disappointed because it didn't help, even after about 3 weeks. Then it was increased to 20mg and I swear within about 3 days I felt like a new person. I have been on it for about 2 years. At times, I have tried decreasing back to 10mg but I end up with the same severe depression/anxiety symptoms. So I will be staying on 20mg. Thank you for making something life Lexapro available to me.

August 28, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by nj runner (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking 10 mgs. Lexapro now for two months for depression and anxiety. I hope I never have to stop. I started feeling better the first day and it hasn't let up. This has made me feel as good as I did 15 years ago. (Previously it was a slow, steady decline). There are definitely side effects: for me there have been pretty serious fatigue and near-total loss of appetite. I will use weight gain supplements to stop the weight loss if I have to (I already weigh 107 lbs., down from 115lbs), but I'm not sure what to do about the fatigue other than drink more coffee. (I should also note that this medicine completely solved my sleeping problem, literally the first night. I used to never sleep; now I sleep 7 hours. A miracle for me!).

August 27, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by god son:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I had for at least 11 years suffered from anxiety disorder for years. Worrying, palpitations, shortness of breath, basically all the popular anxiety symptoms. I am on Lexapro because it does work. Side effects like lower sex drive, difficulty reaching orgasm, insomnia all go away. I find myself fearless, my life is active, no more "what if's" and no anxiety attacks. It's a miracle pill. BUT, I was 135 pounds, skinny. I'm 5'5 I had an amazing metabolism my body was rock solid. After 3 years of Lexapro I am now 165 pounds. I have to try work out and eat healthy I know. Please don't wait as long as I did to change your life and get back to your wonderfully made self!

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 1:41 AM

Review by Slap Happy:

For Depression: I was at a breaking point and couldn't take any more bad thought and sad days. It got to the point where I was crying up to 4 times a day, snapping at my husband and kids, having to call in to work because I couldn't pull it together long enough to function. It was bad. I had negative thoughts and obsessed about something bad happening to myself or my daughter and not at the hands of myself. Side effects were bad at first-insomnia, nausea, swimmy head, anxiety, those only lasted until about day 5 and was told to push through and tough it out. Every day since has been better and better and I finally feel normal again. Lexapro saved my life.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 3:20 PM

Review by picmic:

For Anxiety: I have been taking Lexapro for approx. three months, 10 mg/day. It has helped a great deal to reduce my anxiety and depression. I still have good days and not so good, but rarely fall back to where I was (sounds like many people on this have experience the same). I agree it has some side effects, but when you consider the benefit, its well worth it.

August 22, 2013 9:08 AM

Review by Samanthak:

For Depression: Would definitely recommend this for severe depression and anxiety. Very few side effects and I started feeling better within a week. Definitely a life saver for clinical depression and anxiety.

August 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Review by Mike W S:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I never thought I would take something like this. About 9 months ago my marriage was rapidly falling apart after over two decades. My whole life was filled with general social anxiety which I'd more or less learned to tolerate through behavior self-control. My wife insisted I try therapy, but that was a general waste of valuable time until I brought up the subject of taking medicines (I was getting desperate). My therapist wend ahead and let me try Lexapro. It took several weeks for my body to stabilize and get used to the changes (including mental). It's the best decision I've made in my life. Marriage is better than ever and my anxieties are history.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2013 10:34 AM

Review by Eboneeza (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've tried every anti-depressant out there and for some reason couldn't seem to find one that eliminated my problems all at once! Depression, anxiety, panic attacks and a little obsessive compulsive disorder! Just to name a few. I've been on Lexapro for 4 years now and it's the best medication of its kind out there. The only time I get a little anxious is if I have had a late night and a few too many drinks but that's expected. Anyone looking to take anti-depressants with basically no side effects. I highly recommend Lexapro.

August 14, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by bannanas (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I used Lexapro about ten years ago for a year and went back on it a couple months ago. For a couple days at the start, I felt a bit of pressure in my head--a mild squeezing sensation--but nothing too bad. Now, no side effects at all and I'm feeling decidedly better. The constant feeling of dread is gone and my thinking is clearer. A wonderful help. I'm not worried about going off it eventually. Last time I just tapered down. I had some vivid dreams, but that was it.

August 8, 2013 9:06 PM

Review by JaneKatherine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was on Lexapro 10mg and Abilify 10 mg for about 5 months, and overall it helped with my anxiety. I didn't feel as stressed at work and school, but it kind of made me a zombie. I haven't cried in 5 months, and I hardly feel any emotions. Which I guess is good for people suffering from depression. It completely killed my sex drive so I went to my doctor the other day and switched prescriptions. Currently withdrawing from this medication and it sucks. Getting light-headed and dizzy and vomited a lot the other day.

August 8, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by ecb1980:

For Anxiety: Definitely improving my life. I'm less stressed at work and life with the kids is easier. Some social settings (crowds) still bothersome, but I'm getting there. One of the pages I read warned about caffeine intake, they weren't kidding. I cut out caffeine and it lessened my mood swings. Please read about interactions with other medicines when you start something new, it makes a difference!

August 6, 2013 7:57 AM

Review by PaulaLM (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: Not every medicine is for everyone, but as one who has tried most of the major pharmaceuticals for major depression, panic attacks, severe anxiety and anxiety related bouts of obsessive compulsive disorder, I can tell you Lexapro is the only medicine that I've been able to stay on and be effective for my mental well-being...it is the only one I've had no side effects with. Other SSRI's have either: made me more anxious and/or depressed, dry mouth, BAD weight gain, or extreme fatigue making me into a walking zombie during the day. I've been on Lexapro 6 years now taking from 20 to 30 milligrams each day. During the months with the most sunshine, 20mg is effective. During months of winter, I have to bump it up by 10 mg's. I supplement with 4000 to 6000 IU's of D3 daily

August 5, 2013 10:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro about a year and a half ago after suffering from severe depression and anxiety (female, 23). Started on 10mg and have just upped the dosage to 20mg. I get a yawn and get a bit of nausea, also makes me a bit frigidity/hard to focus. Even so, it's done wonders on my moods and how my brain seems to function. It helps me sleep, I don't have crazy vivid dreams any more. If I miss a dose or two you can really tell the difference. It definitely mellows me out and I feel like I can manage basic day to day things since starting it. I have had some trouble with orgasming, however not always. Can't drink any alcohol on it because it goes straight my head and makes me go silly. Lexapro has changed my life.

July 29, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by frostbite, 58, male (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: It helps with anxiety but actually causes depression for me. Plus, I've gained weight, even when on a starvation type diet. I'm slowing weening myself off, down to 2.5 mg a day, next week I'm stopping completely. I just want to have a clear head, instead of feeling like a zombie.

July 27, 2013 11:34 AM

Review by Torreypine:

For Anxiety: I have been on Lexapro for three and a half years- it has completely changed my life, my moods, my behavior and my reactions to life for the better. I noticed an improvement within. 24 hours after starting Lexapro.

July 25, 2013 7:50 PM

Review by Abbey25:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was given Lexapro about 11 days ago for my extreme anxiety. My situation is strange because this anxiety seemed to come out of no where and I was desperate for help. My doctor gave me Lexapro. I started feeling depressed, mainly because I saw that Lexapro is an antidepressant and my mind was playing tricks on me! Today I am feeling so much better and believe Lexapro has helped me. Only side effects have been a bit jittery and night sweats. If you are so desperate to get help for anxiety/depression WHO CARES about side effects. I recommend Lexapro and plan to stop taking it after being stable for a few months.

July 24, 2013 1:36 AM