User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by jesb:

I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by willie jay:

Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by Kody G.:

I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by J.M.:

I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Tsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Out of nowhere, due to what they think is genetics, I got hit with depression, anxiety, and a form of OCD in my early twenties. The Lexapro was a life saver. Although, I still have negative thoughts on a daily basis, I'm able to cope, and I'm not miserable like I was. However, there is one common downside to this medicine that has left me terribly upset and frustrated. I've been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have put on about 20 lbs. I work out almost every day and eat right for the most part. I have not shed a pound. I've never been this big before and to me, I feel as though Lexapro isn't worth it anymore. I'm weening off of it with my doctor's help, and am going to try and cope with my issues with different methods.

November 16, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Survivorofdeath:

Worked amazing and turned my life around for 1-4 months then I got bad again and now I'm on something else, but Lexapro does effect my weight but I felt so amazing for 3 months and that was more important to me at the time.

November 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Z0RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 22 years old and have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder/ depression since I was a youngster stemming from childhood sexual abuse. This medicine has saved my life, it took about a month/ month and a half to kick in, but when it did it really eased my symptoms. I did experience some mild side effects in the beginning, but they all went away except for some loss of libido and delayed ejaculation. Overall, I would recommend this medicine to someone who is in a similar situation as I found myself in.

November 14, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by LifeLongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

Two weeks ago I began taking Lexapro and it is nothing short of a miracle. Although I was told it would take up to three weeks to work, I experienced relief almost immediately, within days. Prior to taking Lexapro, I was having suicidal thoughts nearly every day. My depression was so severe that it would wake me in the middle of the night, like a sharp pain or intense nausea. I would then lay awake. Since I started Lexapro, I haven't had any abnormal levels of anxiety or depression and I haven't had any suicidal thoughts. Side Effects: sleepy (take at night), mild nausea, extremely (almost too) mellow.

November 13, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I always knew I was vulnerable to having the blues, but it wasn't until I lost my motivation, could no longer enjoy the simple things in life (music, TV shows, vacation!) and would randomly burst into tears, did I realize this was something more serious. The first two weeks were brutal (1/2 tablet in morning, 1/2 tablet in evening). I was extremely anxious, had debilitating fatigue and zero appetite. Third week the symptoms set aside and I was a bit better but still felt robotic. Then the past 2-3 days, I noticed I was singing, joking around, MUCH less irritable and wasn't haunted by negative thoughts of doom or self-loathing. My memory is even better. Give it a fair chance, I promise you won't regret it.

November 8, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by prolexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Delighted. Years of severe anxiety and depression resulting from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, culminating in total debilitation. Unable to work for 12 months and social withdrawal. Started on 5 mg...then up to 10 mg....on 15 mg now and in a week up to 20mg. Apart from sleep still evading me and quite profound sleepiness for the first few days, Lexapro is a Godsend. The fog is clearing, anxiety almost non existent...yay! Still slightly unmotivated but getting better every day! Works for me!

November 8, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Melsss:

I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Kristinaisfree:

Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 10 years or more):

Never a problem.

September 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am taking Lexapro for depression and bulimia. The first week of taking Lexapro my doctor had me on 10mg. Didn't have any negative or positive side effects. I was then bumped up to 20mg. After taking one of the 20mg, the next day my vision was very blurry. It was also getting difficult for me to urinate. (Didn't hurt, but felt like I needed to go ALL the time) I talked to my doctor and she didn't think Lexapro had anything to do with my vision so went back down to 10mg for a week. No negative side effects so went back to 20mg (hoping my body got use to it). No blurry vision this time, but it was still difficult to urinate. The doctor had me get off of it and not even 3 days later I was back to "normal" when it came to using the restroom. Depression was better though. Bulimia..no effect.

September 11, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by LMLaw70:

I was very depressed after my divorce 11 years ago. I would cry easily everyday. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg a day. After a few weeks I was calm and able to handle the difficulties that I had to face. I have never stopped taking it but have cut back to 10mg per day. Each time I try to ween off Lexapro I get very emotional again. My only negative effect has been weight gain. Not happy about the weight gain, but it beats crying at the drop of a hat.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Review by catsanddogs:

I started this medication at a very low dose and experienced nausea, lethargy and dizziness. My doctor told me this was a good sign that the medication was working. I then started to lose control over my thinking and could not focus. My doctor told me this was a symptom of depression and to up the dose of the medication. The nausea never went away and the doctor told me the nausea was anxiety and to up the dose of the medication. I was so sick and tired I was unable to be active or engaged. The doctor told me this was major depressive disorder. Finally, I told my doctor I would no longer take the medication and he gave me a plan for tapering. I experienced extreme dizziness, nausea and hysterical crying. I now feel so much better.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Bullseys (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Finally I found a depression/anxiety medicine that has the least amount of side effects. Tried Elavil, Prozac, Desyrel, Paxil and citalopram (Celaxa) which is very similar to Lexapro but the Celaxa made me sweat when I was not hot, jaw tension, insomnia and hypertension. I think Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the best SSRI out there. I give it a 9 on the scale.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by Brownie2820:

Sorry but this medicine made me very sick. I had thrown up from it, it made me had really bad panic attacks and made me very dizzy and light headed.

August 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by Magicpillsaregreat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

If you want to be happy, this is your miracle magic pill. I was prescribed it for depression and generalized anxiety disorder along with an eating disorder. I would get so frustrated over everything, procrastinated, and had a lot of crying spills and nervous word vomit. While on Lexapro, I could handle the things that normally stressed me out in a great way. I was so happy! It was impossible for me to have negative thoughts. I forgot to refill my pills so I didn't take them for about a week. I became really frustrated and upset and just randomly decided I hated Lexapro and being happy. It decreased my sex drive majorly. I couldn't get off at all. It's been two years and I'm going to start taking it again. Lexapro is a miracle.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by Covit (taken for less than 1 month):

2 month depression, insomnia. Tried meditation, exercise, psychotherapy, sometime help, but has great mood swing, finally decide to take Lexapro. First night, I took 10mg, it kept me awake whole night. So I took 5mg now in the morning. It seemed to improve my mood, but I have insomnia with this.

July 13, 2014 9:07 AM