User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"At the age of 55, I found the only drug that has worked for me in 35 years, I can't even begin to explain my childhood or experiences thereafter, as soon as I could, I sought medical attention with my limited finances. Before that, all I could do was drink and have a good time. I thank God I finally was given Lexapro, (Escitalopram.) I felt relief immediately, whereas NOTHING else did, and was happy, After all the drugs I tried, I have no side effects with Lexapro. I hope this gives hope to those who have been searching. God bless you above and beyond your dreams. With LOVE."

Carbini (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2015

"I seriously used to cry everyday and wonder when my life would change. I felt like I was stuck and had no one to talk to that would understand the way I felt. I used to think of all different ways to end the pain but I knew suicide was not the answer. I felt empty inside and tried everything to make myself feel better. I would turn to food to make myself feel better and I felt I was spiraling out of control. I would isolate myself from everyone. I resulted in cutting myself and I felt a sense of relief. I knew I needed help immediately. I told my doctor everything I was experiencing with tears in my eyes. He prescribed me lexapro and after two weeks I felt like a different person. It made me feel so much better and I could recognize myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2015

"I'm a 21 year old female and have been taking lexapro for only a short while,but I can honestly say that it has been a miracle for me.Ive been treated for depression since I was 13.Ive been on everything,paxil,celexa,wellbutrin,zoloft,ability (taken with paxil) and nothing ever worked. I had been suicidal and had been self harming for as long as I can remember. I also have a crippling anxiety that made social interaction painful and almost unbearable.I had been hosptilized once as a teenager for a suicide attempt..But I got a new doctor recently,and she prescribed lexapro. For the first time in as long as I can remember I feel happy.i can actually sleep and not eaten up by worry or hopeless depression.i finally feel like a human being. :)"

moodybluez93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

"I've been taking Lexapro for almost 6 years now and it has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I first started off with 10mg for about 3 months but didn't notice a huge change in my depression and my anxiety would come and go. After a serious panic attack that hospitalized me for the day my doctor decided to up my dose to 20mg a day. After that I was much happier and less anxious person. My doctor also gave me Xanax for any sudden panic attacks that I do get, but thankfully I haven't had to take it very often (maybe once every 3 months or so). The only side effect I suffered from was drowsiness and it would knock me out at night when I first started. Now in perfectly fine. I'm really glad I started taking this medicine!"

ReaMadison July 10, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now (10/mg). I have not had any differences with my depression or anxiety. In fact my anxiety is still bad. It also makes me crave food that I'm not a huge fan of. Very confusing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2015

"My Dr. put me on Lexapro 10mg x 1 week then to go to 20mg their after for menopausal symptoms, sweats, insomnia. I am a retired nurse and felt so horrible on the 20mg, nausea, sweats, diarrhea,... I called him and he tapered me to to 10 mg q. H.S. it did the job!!!! so for hell of 12 weeks on the 20mg, dropping to 10 mg has made my life shine!!! Hang in there! SSRI's do have a lot of bad side effects, but ride them out! Life is good!"

lanajean (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for two weeks now and I can definitely say that my life has been so much better. I'm on 10 mg and I take one every day. I haven't had any negative side effects expect on my first day taking it I felt dizzy and a little spaced out but they subsided by day 3. Lexapro saved my life! I use to cry everyday and think so much but now all of that has stopped. I'm feeling better, sleeping better; life is just better. Give it a try if you have depression/anxiety."

DMH94MK92 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2015

"Everything in my life caused gut-wrenching sadness and I felt disconnected from the world at 18, as I suffered from depression and social anxiety. I was prescribed this medication after my depression gradually got worse. Initially (for the first 2 weeks) my symptoms worsened drastically. Then, one day it was like someone flipped a switch, and I felt good again, like I hadn't in years. I felt like I could be myself. My grades went up, I got into a great private university, and I dated like crazy. I also was less hostile and I could solve problems and assert myself more. I cannot emphasize how grateful I am for this medication, it changed my life. Just give it time to work I am a male btw, and I was on a pretty moderated dose."

Neuroguy May 24, 2015

"Have MDNOS/possibly Bipolar. Went on Lamictal about 5 years ago which saved my life (awful, terrible mood swings). Was still fairly down so added Celexa after 1 year. This helped but after 2 years it lost efficacy. Switched to Lexapro 18 months ago to combat that and it worked for a while. But the side effects have gotten worse. After 6 months taking it my libido started decreasing and now it is literally gone. I get "high" when I take it then crash and feel like a zombie until I take it again. I have no motivation at work, can't stay focused, restless, can't just sit and be content, no emotion. Unless I'm depressed or pissed. It's not worth it. My new doctor is weaning me off it, thank god, here's hoping I come out okay on the other side."

Jenny476 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

"Helped with depression at increased dosages but once at maximum dosage I had to change meds"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

"I have been on Lexapro for a year, it is fantastic, I feel so calm. I didn't want to go on anything but I'm so glad I did. Depression and Anxiety runs in my family, my 20 yr old who has tried to commit suicide has recently gone on it too, he is a different boy"

sharonlesley May 7, 2015

"Diagnosed with major depressive disorder 9 months ago, my whole life just fell apart, I coudn't sleep, couldn't eat, was having panic attacks every day. Tried every herbal remedy on the market but none of them worked. Started lexapro 4 months ago and it has helped to lift my mood by about 40% I am sleeping better but I am always tired and foggy headed everyday. I find myself being happy and full of life only 1 day a week then I will go back to the same way again, I am so sick of the ups and downs, last week I had 2 good days then a whole week of crying and feeling terrible. After 4 months It is just not doing what I thought it would have done for me. I feel like I will never get my old like back"

ChrisAus (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

"This review is based on my own experiences and my opinion doesn't reflect Lexapro (Escitalopram). I found Lexapro's starting side effects to be mild and tolerable - I experienced dizziness, nausea, dry mouth and sexual dysfunction. However, like I said they were mild and tolerable and they subsided after a few days. I experienced no worsening of my depressive or anxiety symptoms. As I just mentioned I suffer from depression and anxiety and although I didn't find Lexapro to be a "miracle pill" that fully cured me of my ailment's but it did significantly alleviate them to mild and tolerable levels. Overall for me Lexapro was an easy antidepressant to start and it has been effective in treating my depression and anxiety."

James93 May 3, 2015

"I felt better during the day after about a week, but the side effects have been unpleasant. Mainly the lack of sleep. Since the first day I started I couldn't get a good quality night sleep. Only 2 weeks in and I'm already feeling how I did before. Did the depression and anxiety go away? Yeah, for a short time. But it just gives me this fake happiness that I can't really describe. Its like a lot of the sadness goes away, but so does many other good feelings. I may be because of the lack of sleep/appetite/sex drive, but all in all, hasn't really helped me."

chris1469 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"I found Lexapro to be only slightly effective for Seasonal Affective Disorder and mild depression. It worked better for anxiety. I was able to sleep on this medication. It exacerbated my tinnitus, but otherwise there were no noteworthy side effects."

B-Hurd April 29, 2015

"Started Lexapro four days ago,psychologically I feel better but have had terrible nausea,headaches and trouble sleeping at night."

Sophiaaaaa April 28, 2015

"It's incredible how much Lexapro has improved my overall emotional wellness in such a short amount of time. I was extremely hesitant to start medication for obvious reasons, but after much research I decided to give it a try. I cannot stress enough how much of a positive effect Lexapro has had on my life. Just feeling that the darkest of clouds has been lifted after lingering for years is pure happiness and relief; I didn't even think it was possible. The first week I was pretty nauseous and I still get drowsy and have some trouble sleeping on this medication, but it is nothing compared to how I felt prior to taking Lexapro. You deserve to be HAPPY. Give it a try."

AATM (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I'm a 66 y/o female with what I think is "atypical depression", meaning I am not melancholy and not unduly anxious, but suffer from what I lovingly call "homocidal irritation," which can escalate to rage pretty easily. Lexapro (10mg) over the past 8-9 yrs has been a lifesafer, as any of my friends will readily corroborate. If I go off for a few days (refill issues), they can tell! However since my mother died 3 yrs ago and ended my 13-year role as caregiver, I have sunk into a very narrow life, with few interests, a morbid aversion to human interaction, and often a complete inability to get out of bed and tend to the simple basics, like eating, showering, and dressing. Have added 20mg of Wellbutrin to the mix, but so far no improvement."

riknavpdx (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

"I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can."

ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

"I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again."

Katzanddogz April 9, 2015

"Lexapro has worked well for me. My anxiety and depression are about gone. The first 2 months were pretty bad and I almost quit many times but am glad I didn't. Side effects included night sweats, tinitus, headaches, insomnia, sexual issues, dizzzyness...... Most of this has resolved now after 3 months. Adding a b complex with folate and omega 3 seems to have helped me. This is a very good drug for anxiety and depression but you'll need to be very patient, and struggle thru the initial side effects"

bob z March 14, 2015

"Had a major depressive episode out of nowhere (no stressful life circumstances). When I started on 10 mg I stayed awake 40 hours straight and had panic attacks. Went off it. After horrible Effexor side effects I started on 5 mg of Lexapro again (I was absolutely desperate) and gradually increased. For the first two weeks this drug made my anxiety/depression way worse and I became delusional, but once I took a very small dose of seroquel I became progressively better each day and I have no symptoms of mental illness whatsoever anymore. Completely healed me of depression."

Anonymous February 25, 2015

"I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far."

Anonymous February 22, 2015

"Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better."

1wolfee February 17, 2015

"I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you."

Eutuxia February 17, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next