User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by Covit (taken for less than 1 month):

2 month depression, insomnia. Tried meditation, exercise, psychotherapy, sometime help, but has great mood swing, finally decide to take Lexapro. First night, I took 10mg, it kept me awake whole night. So I took 5mg now in the morning. It seemed to improve my mood, but I have insomnia with this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by kal320 (taken for less than 1 month):

Was on Lexapro after the death of my mom, I didn't like the sexual side effects so I was switched to Wellbutrin, it made me hungry all the time but did work for a few months then suddenly stopped and I was worse than before. I went back on the Lexapro and am doing much better with the anxiety and depression. As for side effects, I would rather deal with those then anxiety and depression any day.

July 7, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by ddmau (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffered from depression and generalized anxiety disorder for 4 years and 10 mg of Lexapro worked miracles. Side effects lasted about month and included fuzziness, fatigue and brain zaps. I weaned myself off 6 months ago and should NOT have done that. Fell into major depression and horrible anxiety including panic attacks. Really bottomed out finally with a twitching emotional collapse curled up in bed. Forced myself to Dr. who put me back on 10 mg 3 weeks ago. First week side effects horrible, including nausea, cramps, brain zaps, tremors and nightmares. Now, into 4th week, depression is gone, anxiety much relieved and able to function. I know in another couple of weeks, I will be back to normal again.

June 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Johnathan Deau:

My feelings of depression were actually amplified by this.

May 24, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by Rhianeetha:

As a mother of two young boys I started feeling down and depressed and I couldn't even leave the house because of my anxiety. It started helping me after 2 days (half tab) now I'm taking 1 and a half tablets and I feel so much better. its been a month since I have started this and I love it. I have tried Celexa, Prozac etc...nothing worked. THIS DOES! It makes me tired so I take it at night.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by Pee wee McGee:

Best thing to happen to me. Wish I would have done this years ago.

April 24, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by TS80:

Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Review by limitless (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This stuff is like magic. I have never been as happy or self actualized as I am now. I can do things I could never do before. No side effects that matter.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Focus and clarity (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've always had anxiety more than most for years since I was a kid. In last few years (I am 50 yr. old male) this grew into depression. It got to the point I would get paralyzed on the next task over thinking it - I couldn't be decisive. Then I would get depressed because I couldn't get things under control which led to lack of sleep - continuous cycle. I was always against anti-depressants (for the weak I thought). I tried everything - exercise, no alcohol, no sugar, sleep aids - with little success. I finally gave Lexapro a chance. It brought the anxiety noise level & depression way down and allowed me to get perspective and sleep. Occasional chills, but less over time. No other side effects for me. Glad I did it.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:00 AM

Review by good as gold:

I have been on Lexapro for the past 10 years for generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It works perfectly and I have no side effects at this point. You have to try different ones to find the right one for you. Don't worry about long term use. Your goal is to return to a normal life. Don't listen to the negative talk and just remember how good you feel. That is what is important as life is too short to worry about all the people who are negative about something that helps you. Good luck to them I say!

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Tansy101 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Been off and on Lexapro for 4 years now. I dread having to go back on it as the side effects make me feel lousy - headaches, nausea, jittery, insomnia, lightheaded and anxious. After a week though I feel back to normal and my energy and love for life returns. Being a person who prefers not to take medication I know that sometimes you can fight too long before you need a helping hand - Lexapro helped me. If you do get side effects at the beginning I advise you to go with the flow, understand that it's the medication working & think positive - take care to you all.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 4:15 AM

Review by Jeri Lee:

I was diagnosed, with a panic disorder. I was always well traveled, worked hard and had a great social life, then my life changed over night. You can't explain to anyone the feeling of complete helplessness unless you are living it. Anyway long story short Lexapro saved my life, even though could not orgasm while taking it and gained 10 kilos, but I was able too come off it after a year. And now I'm living a normal life again.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2014 5:53 AM

Review by Bo Diddle:

I have been on Lexapro for years, it has worked great. The trouble is finding a good medicine to use in combination with it. Abilify is a good one.

February 16, 2014 4:33 AM

Review by JaneNich:

I was started on Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder because the Xanax I've been on for the past few years is now Schedule 8. I have been on it for 10 days now and I hate the side effects so I will not be taking any more tomorrow. I started out on 5mg for five days and felt nausea, intense headaches, excessive drowsiness, tremors and total lack of concentration. Then I was advised to up the dose to 10mg and things are worse as I feel extremely anxious and haven't left the house all weekend. Another side effect is extreme muscle jerking through the night. Definitely not for me.

February 15, 2014 8:05 AM

Review by maam madames (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro made me crazy. Everything from dry mouth, violent nightmares, violent kicking in my sleep, suicidal feelings, weird brain twitching, and many more symptoms. I started taking this medicine because it was deemed as the "miracle pill", however my experience was not pleasant. However, I have personally seen friends of mine use it and it has changed their lives..

February 13, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by vinpb90 (taken for less than 1 month):

Sexually frustrated me and I was a little bit aggressive coming onto it. EVERYONE has a specific anti-depressant that will work for them. It's all trial and error. However, even though it didn't work for me, I'm a fan of the medication. Prozac, however, did the job.

February 9, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Lexapro 1969 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Best antidepressant I've ever tried. Horrible sexual side effects, especially since I'm a newlywed. But at least I'm happy.

January 31, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Cindy loo who:

Once I got over the nausea, I loved how it helped me feel more human.

January 30, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by Marguerite1002:

Searched for balance for years. Tried a lot of different meds. Lexapro made my life normal. Take 20mg and .5 mg of clonazepam at bedtime. I am in sales and people never would think I deal with anxiety and depression.

January 29, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by Jhjhjhjhjh:

I'm 30 years, have been suffering from depression on and off for years. This year, I came down with a hard case of Seasonal Affective Disorder, which rendered me a useless ball of fear every day from the afternoon onward and eventually led to other problems (digestion, neurological, and otherwise). My doctor prescribed 10mg escilatopram. Goodness, I wasn't expecting much, but I feel absolutely fantastic now. I'm happy and can focus on daily activities, even in the dark winter evenings. Also, I've been on it for almost 2 months now, and I haven't noticed any side effects! No digestive or sexual problems which seem to be not-so-rarely reported.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by ahellwig (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It works to control generalized anxiety disorder. However, don't stop taking it until your doctor tells you to after at least a year. My psych took me off after 6 months and the symptoms returned.

December 18, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by Prplreign (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered from depression for years. At first I was a little apprehensive to take any medication but I had reached a low point. Everyday I woke up with a storm cloud over my head, I was irritable, quick to anger and always grumpy. I could literally feel the weight of my mood on me at all times. I barely laughed anymore, I didn't find anything enjoyable. I have been taking 10mg of Lexapro for three weeks now and I am floored by the difference it has made. It's like I can feel again. I know this sounds cliche, but everything is more vivid, more colorful, more lively. I didn't experience any side effects other than loss of appetite.

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 8:05 PM