Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Melsss:

I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Kristinaisfree:

Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 10 years or more):

Never a problem.

September 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am taking Lexapro for depression and bulimia. The first week of taking Lexapro my doctor had me on 10mg. Didn't have any negative or positive side effects. I was then bumped up to 20mg. After taking one of the 20mg, the next day my vision was very blurry. It was also getting difficult for me to urinate. (Didn't hurt, but felt like I needed to go ALL the time) I talked to my doctor and she didn't think Lexapro had anything to do with my vision so went back down to 10mg for a week. No negative side effects so went back to 20mg (hoping my body got use to it). No blurry vision this time, but it was still difficult to urinate. The doctor had me get off of it and not even 3 days later I was back to "normal" when it came to using the restroom. Depression was better though. Bulimia..no effect.

September 11, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by LMLaw70:

I was very depressed after my divorce 11 years ago. I would cry easily everyday. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg a day. After a few weeks I was calm and able to handle the difficulties that I had to face. I have never stopped taking it but have cut back to 10mg per day. Each time I try to ween off Lexapro I get very emotional again. My only negative effect has been weight gain. Not happy about the weight gain, but it beats crying at the drop of a hat.

August 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Review by catsanddogs:

I started this medication at a very low dose and experienced nausea, lethargy and dizziness. My doctor told me this was a good sign that the medication was working. I then started to lose control over my thinking and could not focus. My doctor told me this was a symptom of depression and to up the dose of the medication. The nausea never went away and the doctor told me the nausea was anxiety and to up the dose of the medication. I was so sick and tired I was unable to be active or engaged. The doctor told me this was major depressive disorder. Finally, I told my doctor I would no longer take the medication and he gave me a plan for tapering. I experienced extreme dizziness, nausea and hysterical crying. I now feel so much better.

August 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Bullseys (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Finally I found a depression/anxiety medicine that has the least amount of side effects. Tried Elavil, Prozac, Desyrel, Paxil and citalopram (Celaxa) which is very similar to Lexapro but the Celaxa made me sweat when I was not hot, jaw tension, insomnia and hypertension. I think Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the best SSRI out there. I give it a 9 on the scale.

August 3, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by Brownie2820:

Sorry but this medicine made me very sick. I had thrown up from it, it made me had really bad panic attacks and made me very dizzy and light headed.

August 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by Magicpillsaregreat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

If you want to be happy, this is your miracle magic pill. I was prescribed it for depression and generalized anxiety disorder along with an eating disorder. I would get so frustrated over everything, procrastinated, and had a lot of crying spills and nervous word vomit. While on Lexapro, I could handle the things that normally stressed me out in a great way. I was so happy! It was impossible for me to have negative thoughts. I forgot to refill my pills so I didn't take them for about a week. I became really frustrated and upset and just randomly decided I hated Lexapro and being happy. It decreased my sex drive majorly. I couldn't get off at all. It's been two years and I'm going to start taking it again. Lexapro is a miracle.

July 30, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by Covit (taken for less than 1 month):

2 month depression, insomnia. Tried meditation, exercise, psychotherapy, sometime help, but has great mood swing, finally decide to take Lexapro. First night, I took 10mg, it kept me awake whole night. So I took 5mg now in the morning. It seemed to improve my mood, but I have insomnia with this.

July 13, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by kal320 (taken for less than 1 month):

Was on Lexapro after the death of my mom, I didn't like the sexual side effects so I was switched to Wellbutrin, it made me hungry all the time but did work for a few months then suddenly stopped and I was worse than before. I went back on the Lexapro and am doing much better with the anxiety and depression. As for side effects, I would rather deal with those then anxiety and depression any day.

July 7, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by ddmau (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffered from depression and generalized anxiety disorder for 4 years and 10 mg of Lexapro worked miracles. Side effects lasted about month and included fuzziness, fatigue and brain zaps. I weaned myself off 6 months ago and should NOT have done that. Fell into major depression and horrible anxiety including panic attacks. Really bottomed out finally with a twitching emotional collapse curled up in bed. Forced myself to Dr. who put me back on 10 mg 3 weeks ago. First week side effects horrible, including nausea, cramps, brain zaps, tremors and nightmares. Now, into 4th week, depression is gone, anxiety much relieved and able to function. I know in another couple of weeks, I will be back to normal again.

June 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Johnathan Deau:

My feelings of depression were actually amplified by this.

May 24, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by Rhianeetha:

As a mother of two young boys I started feeling down and depressed and I couldn't even leave the house because of my anxiety. It started helping me after 2 days (half tab) now I'm taking 1 and a half tablets and I feel so much better. its been a month since I have started this and I love it. I have tried Celexa, Prozac etc...nothing worked. THIS DOES! It makes me tired so I take it at night.

April 25, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by Pee wee McGee:

Best thing to happen to me. Wish I would have done this years ago.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by TS80:

Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Review by limitless (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This stuff is like magic. I have never been as happy or self actualized as I am now. I can do things I could never do before. No side effects that matter.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Focus and clarity (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've always had anxiety more than most for years since I was a kid. In last few years (I am 50 yr. old male) this grew into depression. It got to the point I would get paralyzed on the next task over thinking it - I couldn't be decisive. Then I would get depressed because I couldn't get things under control which led to lack of sleep - continuous cycle. I was always against anti-depressants (for the weak I thought). I tried everything - exercise, no alcohol, no sugar, sleep aids - with little success. I finally gave Lexapro a chance. It brought the anxiety noise level & depression way down and allowed me to get perspective and sleep. Occasional chills, but less over time. No other side effects for me. Glad I did it.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:00 AM

Review by good as gold:

I have been on Lexapro for the past 10 years for generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It works perfectly and I have no side effects at this point. You have to try different ones to find the right one for you. Don't worry about long term use. Your goal is to return to a normal life. Don't listen to the negative talk and just remember how good you feel. That is what is important as life is too short to worry about all the people who are negative about something that helps you. Good luck to them I say!

200 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Tansy101 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Been off and on Lexapro for 4 years now. I dread having to go back on it as the side effects make me feel lousy - headaches, nausea, jittery, insomnia, lightheaded and anxious. After a week though I feel back to normal and my energy and love for life returns. Being a person who prefers not to take medication I know that sometimes you can fight too long before you need a helping hand - Lexapro helped me. If you do get side effects at the beginning I advise you to go with the flow, understand that it's the medication working & think positive - take care to you all.

196 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 4:15 AM