User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"I took many SSRI medications in the past for anxiety/depression but was unable to handle all the negative side effects. I've spent the last 3 years dealing with daily fatigue to the point of just feeling sick every day, so work and bed became my home. I couldn't find the energy to go shop, visit my son, be with friends, attend church, I just felt SICK .Daily crying spells every morning and an awful pain on the inside I can't describe. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I knew it wasn't normal and was only getting worse.!!!! ....Dr gave me 10 mg. Of LEXAPRO ..first pill very sick but have been on it 4 weeks now. Thank goodness FOR THIS MEDICATION!!!!! It took several weeks but as weeks go by I feel even better !!!! :))))"

Kgregory47 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"I am in college and finally started to get help for my depression and anxiety. My counsellor sent me right to the health center when I told her my symptoms because they were both so bad. I was severely depressed, suicidal, and had severe anxiety. They put me on lexapro for the quick results. I took it the next morning and was taken to the hospital by ambulance in the middle of class because of a severe anxiety attack. I had never had one before and it was terrifying. I do not blame this medicine but don't be afraid of something that may take longer. Lexapro just didn't work for me. I now take Zoloft and have no problems. Just be cautious."

AsM08 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

"I went to my OB GYN to ask about Lexapro for some major depression & anxiety I was experiencing. Lexapro had worked quite well for a friend of mine. I had previously taken Zoloft a few years prior & it made my post-partum depression worse. I had great hopes for this drug, but it unfortunately did NOT work well for me. I felt like a zombie. I believe it gave me psychosis. I also experienced my first panic attack after being on 10 MG for 3 days. I then took 5 MG for two more days and stopped taking it all together. Still 3 months after stopping I am having panic attacks with some psychotic features. I've pulled myself out of that deep depression though. Still have bad days occasionally, but I'm only taking Xanax as needed."

Landonsmommy1014 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"I was very skeptical about going on medication and I was really against it but after a big breakdown and not seeing the light, I took lexopro. I kept reading the reviews daily for hope as it took along time for the medication to kick in. Please give it 8 to 10 weeks! Now thoughts that would upset me just don't. It helps to lift the heavy fog and help you to live a normal life again. I still have anxiety at times but I am slowly increasing and it is helping. Thank you lexopro you really are a miracle. Dont give up guys!"

Aussiegirl9 December 28, 2015

"Very good for GAD mixed with depression. I felt worse for 2 months but then felt amazing :) give it a chance"

Vee88 December 21, 2015

"I just got prescribed lexapro today! I've had depression & anxiety for 9 years and I've tried 5 other anti depressants but unfortunately none of worked. I've also tried 3 different psychologists an they didn't really help either! So I am so excited to start lexapro tomorrow! From the reviews it sounds amazing! Also funny this but my friend told me last week about lexapro (she uses it for anxiety) and she said it's been amazing! And now I've been prescribed it! Yay"

EsraD December 19, 2015

"I feel like I have my life back with Lexapro. I am not depressed anymore. No more racing negative thoughts. On the down side, it did give me acne and my have difficulty with my memory and finding the words I want to say. It makes me feel like I have a little dementia, but I am afraid to go off of it and have depression again."

Pepper Rose (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 13, 2015

"My GP has put me on Escitalopram 10mg daily been on it 2 days I am worried about weight gain he said no. I was on Remeron 12 mths ago and I put on a lot of weight with it and also ended up with bad Acid Reflux so went off it and weight fell off and only get occasional reflux now. "

Binnie01 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2015

"I started at 5 mg and after the first week it worked. I then upped it to 10 mg per the doctors orders but am gonna ask if its okay to go back down to 5mg since it was working. I went from not eating, can't get out of bed, can't take care of my kids, depressed, horrible thoughts, can't make dinner, bad with money, just all around sloppy to my normal self. I'm able to think clearly, clean my house, make dinner, enjoy my family. I was afraid to take it but am now thankful . The only side effect for me is sleepiness at night, which is good, and urinary tract infection. Hopefully it was clear up with keflex and a lower dose. I'm okay with it because my life is back."

Lisa1984 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2015

"I've tried almost every antidepressant. I read the reviews on Lexapro and was prepared for a rough introductory period. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt better than ever...not suicidal, no general anxiety issues, I even felt like I could stand up for myself and not be a doormat. But after the first 6 weeks, I started feeling numb in my heart (you know, no true emotions) and became a cold, mean person. Not to mention the sexual side effects, making it even harder on my marriage. I've backed off of it now to try yet another pill, so I'm suicidal and severely anxious and depressed again, but I haven't felt any other emotions yet."

PamaLove8180 November 16, 2015

"To anyone taking Lexapro or any antidepressant: DO NOT believe all the negative reviews you read here or elsewhere. Do not let them scare you away from taking one of these drugs. The drugs are not miracle workers, but they do help some by taking the edge off and by not letting you obsess on your feelings and thoughts. You have to give them time, at least SIX WEEKS. If no improvement, up the dose per your Dr's permission or switch to another. The side effects are mild, and that is despite what anyone says to the contrary. Antidepressants work best in combination with psychotherapy, but they are also effective when taken by themselves. You will eventually feel better."

RB81 November 15, 2015

"Lexapro works! I didn't have any side effects except for small headaches for the first couple of weeks that would show up for 10 seconds, then be gone. I did notice for the first week that I would have carb cravings and I didn't get full as quickly, but I watched what I ate and tried not to give in to any crazy cravings. I have not gained any additional weight. The first day I took the lexapro, it kicked in around 5-6pm and I just got insanely giggly and happy. All of a sudden, it was like a breeze blew past my mind and the little gremlin in my mind that constantly said "I hate everything" was gone. I do notice short term memory is easily forgotten; out of sight, out of mind. I'm sure that's due to relief from anxiety. I am finally happy!"

Iamaunicorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

"I didn't think it loxalate could help me, I thought my bad life choices and my past and future was just something I had to live with. I didn't see myself as depressed, I just thought I had stuffed up my life. I thought when I told my Dr that I was feely down he would question me intensively. Not so ! He just handed me a small questionnaire with about 10 questions on how I was feeling ,,,, multi choice answers numbered 1 to 5 My score result suggested I was depressed and he prescribed me 10mg loxa late tablets. I felt relieved for the first few days, but then it took more than 2 weeks for the tablets to start. Now after 5 weeks I've gone from feeling 3 out of 10 to 6/10. I never miss a tablet and I stopped my occasional alcohol drink"

Started November 10, 2015

"I just wanted to post my experience with lexapro. I have been on it for about four weeks and it has changed my life for the best. Before I got prescribed this medicine I was going to bed crying and waking up crying. Couldn't keep up with my Mother duties cause I was scared I was going to die and was having horrible panic attacks. I have not had any panic attacks since the end of the first week and I have not had the nausea feeling since week three, so I am doing way better. Didn't really have any other side effects from the medicine. I can't wait to I see my doctor so I can thank her for saving me from anxiety and depression."

Mother of three girls (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2015

"I went on lexapro to control my depression caused by depo, and it was awful. It stopped my anxiety attacks, but I was still constantly paranoid. It helped with most of my depression. The lows were not as frequent or severe. However, it made me gain 30 lbs in a year. No amount of exercise of diet would help. I would not recommend this medication."

Katie141516 October 28, 2015

"Hi. I am on day 16 of 10mg. The first 6 days I was very tired, excessively. But the majority of my anxiety was gone by then. Days 6-8 I had severe insomnia, it passed and by day 9 I had no racing thoughts before going to slep. Today is day 16. I feel better about my life circumstances. I have a 9 year old with Aspergers. I am no longer spending every waking moment obsessing over what will become of his future. My cognitve functioning seems clearer. Have been able to keep up more with home chores. Still not as energised as I would like to be. Coffee makes me more jittery since starting the meds. I can now tell the differnce between caffeine jitters and my real anxiety though. I am hoping that by week 6-8 I have even more clarity."

Anxiety & Slight Depressed moo (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

"So far, so good! I started on 10mg daily, then after a week, my dosage was increased to 20mg daily. I have been on this stuff for just under a month now, and I am starting to feel a bit better already. Other people have also noticed and a few have commented that I seem perkier and more alive. I have taken several different types of SSRI/SNRI antidepressants in the past and for me, this one is the best in terms of effectiveness and for side effects. I do get the weird, psychedelic dreams every night and wake up really groggy, I get a bit constipated and I can't stop yawning all day. Also, its difficult to orgasm. But, its still better than constantly wanting to die. I almost feel like going back to work......almost!"

Khati October 6, 2015

"I have only taken Lexapro (generic) for 3 days now. Dr. put me 5mg but told me to cut it in half for about a week. This morning when I woke up I felt GREAT! Not hypomanic great, just great all around. I didn't have the tormenting thoughts in my head as soon as woke up like I usually did. I have been on "depressed mode" with my BiPolar since at least May 2015 and I felt "real" and "normal" (whatever that is lol) this morning. I am very sensitive to medications with side effects of drowsiness and I have felt a little sleepy but not bad. I can actually accomplish things! I have had diarrhea but if I am going to feel like this then I can deal with it and it will probably go away."

Fab52 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

"I was on it for almost a year it helped enough I thought I was fine and stopped taking it. Once I was off I hit a low and was put back on it on a higher dose. I've been on it now for a year and all together nearly 2 and half. It does help but that doesn't mean there aren't still days that are bad and times I don't feel crappy. But it has made a big enough difference that I'm not trying to hurt myself or kill myself which is good!"

Desmen (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2015

"Started taking 5mg for one week, "

Vince9125 September 12, 2015

"Lexapro was a life saver for me. I have really bad TMJ and was in pain daily. The lexapro really helped me calm down and my symptoms went away within a few months! This was my first time taking any medication like this, and to be honest I was so embarrassed to be on it, but after I saw how much it helped me and others there is nothing to be ashamed of!! The only bad thing is I gained 10Lbs. I went from 123Lbs to 133Lbs in a matter of 5 months. (Still worked out 5 days a week and ate clean) Other than the weight gain I would highly recommend Lexapro."

KRITTY BIRD August 28, 2015

"I used this page for support when I first started out on Lexapro so I thought I'd give back. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg for dysthymia (mild chronic depression) and anxiety. The first few weeks were accompanied by a persistent mild headache and some nausea. I was much more tired - slept 8-hour nights plus an afternoon nap. 10 days into my prescription I was at the beach and I noticed some people's swimsuits appeared to have brighter colours. The world slowly began to appear more vivid visually and to have more "depth". At some point rumination stopped almost completely. Two months in, the world seems much more inviting and much less harsh than it used to. This drug works for me."

AllThatJazz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works really good. I also have anxiety and for the most part it helps. I still get anxious but that's just a part of life. Only thing about this medication I don't like is that it's very addictive. Not in the way you need to take it and take more of it like pain pills but rather, if you miss a doss or run out and are unable to fill it you will go through withdrawals. Neurological withdrawals, which are awful. So always make sure you get your refills on time!"

Neurologically imperfect August 10, 2015

"I just started this medicine 3 days ago and I cannot express how much of an effect it has had on me already. I just graduated high school and became depressed soon after, severe anxiety where I couldn't go out to eat without having to vomit. I also couldn't keep focus on anything, especially when trying to talk to people, and overall was in the worst state of my life. Thought I was hopefully, constantly having break downs etc. the doctor prescribed this medicine to me a few months before graduation due to anxiety and overall not feeling myself, I was definitely skeptical and taking medicine in my eyes was a sign of weakness so, I put off the treatment hoping I could cure myself out of this funk. I went to ctb and it helped but it was mainly focused on anxiety. I stopped going because it seemed a waste of my time. Graduation rolls around, my best friends leaves for college really early and my life falls apart. A week was about all I could take of the constant emptiness, headaches and nauseous I got from being so depressed so I decided to start lexapro. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg and the first day I took it (in the morning) I was in a state of euphoria. Just a little background on myself, I was never that outgoing but constantly happy. Never the one to be outgoing in front of strangers and was very conscious of people around me. Not on this pill. I was loopy, could not stop laughing and would not shut up. Although this was great, it did not feel normal and I had very bad dizziness and insomnia that night as the drug began to wear off.. But I wasn't laying in bed miserably like I did countless nights before, I kind of sat there with a smile so it was actually kind of creepy. That morning I called my physician and asked if this was a normal or okay reaction considering I've been told you shouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. He mentioned that it was "weird" that I had this response but it was a negative one. He recommended I cut my dosage in half and stick with taking 5 kg a day since the 10 obviously overtook my body. Within hours of hanging up I popped half a tablet and can honestly say I felt happy without many side effects. I continued this the following day and my relationship with my boyfriend, family, and friends has greatly improved, I sleep better, I can laugh and actually mean it and I can go in public places without constantly being self conscious. I've heard it can have bad results in week 1 and 2 but after taking this medicine for only 3 days, whether it's the placebo effect or not, has saved me and helped me to return to my normal self."

Shayyyyyyd (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"17. My mood before ranged from sad to completely neutral about everything. I was unmotivated, irritable, had chronic migraines, was constantly exhausted but unable to sleep without meds and felt like I had a huge weight on my shoulders. Now I've been taking Lexapro/ Cipralex for 1 week. I didn't get dry mouth thankfully. I feel lighter, wake up very alert, and less irritable. I had a bit of nausea and some pupil dilation the first couple nights and I feel a bit antsy overall. I found that with Seroquel for sleep, I would fall asleep within half an hour. Combined with Lexapro/Cipralex I can fall asleep within 15 minutes. I take it around 11pm and then I take the Seroquel whenever I want to go to sleep. So far it's been pretty good."

Kat_679 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015