User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"For me personally, I hated Lexpro. It made me a shell of the person I used to be and like others have described, a walking zombie. I couldn't connect with my emotions whatsoever. There are much better SSRI's available!"

finners (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

"I am taking 20 MG and it has completely taken away my anxiety. I do not like the sexual side effects but its much better then getting panic attacks. Highly recommend this drug for anyone who has GAD."

NoMoreAnxiety May 16, 2016

"Overall, for me, Lexapro was very destructive. I was on it for about three months and in that time my depression worsened, but that's not necessarily the worst part. The debilitating panic attacks that put me in the hospital was the worst part. After cutting the dose from 10 mg to 5 mg and not seeing any difference, I discontinued it. Bad depression, bad anxiety, bad drug overall; at least for me anyway."

elliottgroce (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

"I felt a positive difference within the first week. I also have generalized anxiety and it seems to have helped with it as well. Due to my epilepsy, I take the highest dosage that I can, which is 10mg. I feel better but I think 20 would work great."

koffepot (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"I have taken Lexapro for 10 years. I had severe depression/anxiety and was put on Lexapro and xanax-(initially). If I skipped or I didn't take my Lexapro on time, I would have a bad bought of anxiety within a day. Too much or double up, and my brain was on fire and severe anxiety. But, it has been a life saver. I am totally myself with no weird thoughts or dreams and am happy! Your body will let you know when you should lower your dosage, but that will take a while, like years (headaches were my symptoms). Note for women, I still felt off right before my period. My doctor added the mini pill for the estrogen and now I am 100% all month. P.S. watch some of the generics, some have bad side effects!!!!"

jhappy! April 20, 2016

"I personally didn't like this medication. The first intake had me feeling like a walking zombie. It made me deaf and nauseous."

nishiiiiiiie April 15, 2016

"So I absolutely adore my lexapro I'm the happiest I have been in years. I literally cannot function without it. I had went off of it for about a month however due to insurance issues and I went insane. Like literally. Hysterical crying episodes I left my husband. So be prepared to never ever skip it. (i am back with my husband,btw when I got my mind back)"

Yasss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

"I have been on 10mg valuim for 10 years. I started lexpro today. I am already feeling nauseous and feel my anxiety increasing. After reading these reviews I am willing to give a shot in really hope it works. Thanks for the reviews."

Dannie36 April 7, 2016

"After trying numerous antidepressants years back and having bizarre reactions and becoming a walking zombie I was prescribed "Cipralex" 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I started with only 1/4 of a tablet as I was apprehensive but beside a bit of an odd smell when going to the bathroom they are amazing. After only 1/4 pill the first day about 4 hours after I took it I found myself laughing for the first time in years and now feel calmer, and much more focused with more drive. A month ago I could barely read a paragraph without losing my concentration or re-reading it over and over,now I WANT to read and read. I feel so much more in control,then again I have been experiencing depression for about 20 years so do something about it now no regrets here!"

Henry Ateris April 3, 2016

"I was on Lexapro for close to 5 months - didn't work for me, it made me More anxious. Told my dr & weaned off of it. I would not recommend it."

JB129 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

"I have been a heavy drinker in the past, and decided to completely quit drinking about 6 weeks ago for a variety of reasons. I had never really been depressed up to this point, but maybe I was dealing with my depression through drinking all along. I digress. I slid into a depression. I could not put one foot in front of the other. Work performance, sex life, hobbies, and social skills all seemed to suffer. My family and friends (some pharmacists and nurses) urged me to try an SSRI and see if it made a difference. They assured me that depression was common in early sobriety and that I may need a boost to get back to living a fulfilling life. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg 2 weeks ago and I can already tell the difference. Everyday gets better"

Zackrey (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

"Lexapro has been a lifesaver! Started on prozac for 8 weeks but did not work for me. Doctor switched me to Lexapro 3 weeks ago and I feel calm and relaxed for the first time in a long time. Only taking 20mg but really helps with sleep and making healthy rational decisions. I highly recommend and had no side effects."

Joanne075 March 24, 2016

"Not great med. Gained lots of weight. 15mg I was like a zombie. Tired alot and twitching."

scott ryan March 23, 2016

"Been on 20 mg for a month and honestly I feel more depressed and more then before. I am also getting super sensitive. Doctor wants me to give it 2 more weeks and added Abilify. I start my first dosage tomorrow. Ugh"

scarlettmple (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

"Lexapro made my depression worse, and I had suicidal thoughts within 24 hours. I immediately quit. It was a free sample from my doctor."

Svenska (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2016

"I started feeling the calming effects of Lexapro after about three weeks. I'm high-achieving, driven, and I love being productive and challenged. Episodes of depression have made dealing with everyday life somewhat difficult, mostly due to the insomnia that comes with depression/anxiety. I was having difficulty sleeping for about a week when I broke down and spoke with my doctor. I was prescribed Lexapro and my symptoms are almost entirely alleviated. I work midnights so I take Lexapro at around 3:00 PM. The first week I had very bad headaches and felt dizzy. I took 5 mg instead of the 10 mg which decreased the intensity of the headaches, and again, the side effects subsided pretty quickly. In addition to this, I lost eight pounds."

Hamiltonia (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

"Taking it about a month and I have to say thank God I feel calm. I sleep good at night and calm during the day."

BarbDel741 February 24, 2016

"I paid $250 for the brand name after having tried the generic 3 months ago with horrible results. Started at 5 mg; immediate increase in anxiety. Bad dreams, insomnia, diarrhea. Doctor said to go up to 10 mg after one week; could not focus, could not eat, intense agitation, uncontrollable crying, crazy thoughts. Anxiety hit the roof- couldn't leave then house. Saw a pychologist/ next a psychiatrist- immediately stopped the lexapro and within 24 hours felt 90% better. This drug is not for all. Sexual side effects and weight gain are high for most. Do your homework."

Caren grammar February 20, 2016

"This was the first medicine I was prescribed by my psychiatrist for my anxiety and depression. While I felt it worked decent, I got wicked headaches and I had terrible night sweats. I also suffered from fits of rage, and I felt really angry in general. To be fair I'm an angry person and I often felt that since I didn't feel as depressed or anxious any longer, my anger became more prominent. I also felt I had issues reaching orgasm at times, but then others I would feel insatiable. All in all, it was okay but I definitely ended up switching at my monthly appointment."

Ashley Savage (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"I've had depression for years and very high anxiety which at one point I could barely breathe and I had to focus on my breath to calm down at all. I took xanax for 6 months a year ago. It helped a little with anxiety but not for depression very well. I got off xanax last year and took nothing at all. I felt like I was losing my mind and had thoughts of just ending my emotional and mental agony. I went back to my Dr and he gave me Lexapro and xanax. For the first time in years my face doesn't grimace in emotional pain and I feel happy. I don't know if Lexapro could do that by itself, but with xanax it's saved my life."

s. from Texas (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"The first six weeks were hell. Increased anxiety so severe I lost seventeen pounds. I'm now five months in and have never felt better. I'm on 20 mg of lexapro once daily 20mg of Buspirone twice daily. .5 mg of Clonazepam to be taken once daily if needed, I rarely need it. I would suggest trying a physician that will prescribe a low dosage of Clonazepam from the start, it would have saved me a great deal of suffering . Clonazepam is addictive so most doctors hesitate to prescribe it straight out of the box. Good luck and stick with it."

La ling January 26, 2016

"I took many SSRI medications in the past for anxiety/depression but was unable to handle all the negative side effects. I've spent the last 3 years dealing with daily fatigue to the point of just feeling sick every day, so work and bed became my home. I couldn't find the energy to go shop, visit my son, be with friends, attend church, I just felt SICK .Daily crying spells every morning and an awful pain on the inside I can't describe. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I knew it wasn't normal and was only getting worse.!!!! ....Dr gave me 10 mg. Of LEXAPRO ..first pill very sick but have been on it 4 weeks now. Thank goodness FOR THIS MEDICATION!!!!! It took several weeks but as weeks go by I feel even better !!!! :))))"

Kgregory47 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am in college and finally started to get help for my depression and anxiety. My counsellor sent me right to the health center when I told her my symptoms because they were both so bad. I was severely depressed, suicidal, and had severe anxiety. They put me on lexapro for the quick results. I took it the next morning and was taken to the hospital by ambulance in the middle of class because of a severe anxiety attack. I had never had one before and it was terrifying. I do not blame this medicine but don't be afraid of something that may take longer. Lexapro just didn't work for me. I now take Zoloft and have no problems. Just be cautious."

AsM08 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

"I went to my OB GYN to ask about Lexapro for some major depression & anxiety I was experiencing. Lexapro had worked quite well for a friend of mine. I had previously taken Zoloft a few years prior & it made my post-partum depression worse. I had great hopes for this drug, but it unfortunately did NOT work well for me. I felt like a zombie. I believe it gave me psychosis. I also experienced my first panic attack after being on 10 MG for 3 days. I then took 5 MG for two more days and stopped taking it all together. Still 3 months after stopping I am having panic attacks with some psychotic features. I've pulled myself out of that deep depression though. Still have bad days occasionally, but I'm only taking Xanax as needed."

Landonsmommy1014 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"I was very skeptical about going on medication and I was really against it but after a big breakdown and not seeing the light, I took lexopro. I kept reading the reviews daily for hope as it took along time for the medication to kick in. Please give it 8 to 10 weeks! Now thoughts that would upset me just don't. It helps to lift the heavy fog and help you to live a normal life again. I still have anxiety at times but I am slowly increasing and it is helping. Thank you lexopro you really are a miracle. Dont give up guys!"

Aussiegirl9 December 28, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next