User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"I've tried almost every antidepressant. I read the reviews on Lexapro and was prepared for a rough introductory period. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt better than ever...not suicidal, no general anxiety issues, I even felt like I could stand up for myself and not be a doormat. But after the first 6 weeks, I started feeling numb in my heart (you know, no true emotions) and became a cold, mean person. Not to mention the sexual side effects, making it even harder on my marriage. I've backed off of it now to try yet another pill, so I'm suicidal and severely anxious and depressed again, but I haven't felt any other emotions yet."

PamaLove8180 November 16, 2015

"To anyone taking Lexapro or any antidepressant: DO NOT believe all the negative reviews you read here or elsewhere. Do not let them scare you away from taking one of these drugs. The drugs are not miracle workers, but they do help some by taking the edge off and by not letting you obsess on your feelings and thoughts. You have to give them time, at least SIX WEEKS. If no improvement, up the dose per your Dr's permission or switch to another. The side effects are mild, and that is despite what anyone says to the contrary. Antidepressants work best in combination with psychotherapy, but they are also effective when taken by themselves. You will eventually feel better."

RB81 November 15, 2015

"Lexapro works! I didn't have any side effects except for small headaches for the first couple of weeks that would show up for 10 seconds, then be gone. I did notice for the first week that I would have carb cravings and I didn't get full as quickly, but I watched what I ate and tried not to give in to any crazy cravings. I have not gained any additional weight. The first day I took the lexapro, it kicked in around 5-6pm and I just got insanely giggly and happy. All of a sudden, it was like a breeze blew past my mind and the little gremlin in my mind that constantly said "I hate everything" was gone. I do notice short term memory is easily forgotten; out of sight, out of mind. I'm sure that's due to relief from anxiety. I am finally happy!"

Iamaunicorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

"I didn't think it loxalate could help me, I thought my bad life choices and my past and future was just something I had to live with. I didn't see myself as depressed, I just thought I had stuffed up my life. I thought when I told my Dr that I was feely down he would question me intensively. Not so ! He just handed me a small questionnaire with about 10 questions on how I was feeling ,,,, multi choice answers numbered 1 to 5 My score result suggested I was depressed and he prescribed me 10mg loxa late tablets. I felt relieved for the first few days, but then it took more than 2 weeks for the tablets to start. Now after 5 weeks I've gone from feeling 3 out of 10 to 6/10. I never miss a tablet and I stopped my occasional alcohol drink"

Started November 10, 2015

"I just wanted to post my experience with lexapro. I have been on it for about four weeks and it has changed my life for the best. Before I got prescribed this medicine I was going to bed crying and waking up crying. Couldn't keep up with my Mother duties cause I was scared I was going to die and was having horrible panic attacks. I have not had any panic attacks since the end of the first week and I have not had the nausea feeling since week three, so I am doing way better. Didn't really have any other side effects from the medicine. I can't wait to I see my doctor so I can thank her for saving me from anxiety and depression."

Mother of three girls (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2015

"I went on lexapro to control my depression caused by depo, and it was awful. It stopped my anxiety attacks, but I was still constantly paranoid. It helped with most of my depression. The lows were not as frequent or severe. However, it made me gain 30 lbs in a year. No amount of exercise of diet would help. I would not recommend this medication."

Katie141516 October 28, 2015

"Hi. I am on day 16 of 10mg. The first 6 days I was very tired, excessively. But the majority of my anxiety was gone by then. Days 6-8 I had severe insomnia, it passed and by day 9 I had no racing thoughts before going to slep. Today is day 16. I feel better about my life circumstances. I have a 9 year old with Aspergers. I am no longer spending every waking moment obsessing over what will become of his future. My cognitve functioning seems clearer. Have been able to keep up more with home chores. Still not as energised as I would like to be. Coffee makes me more jittery since starting the meds. I can now tell the differnce between caffeine jitters and my real anxiety though. I am hoping that by week 6-8 I have even more clarity."

Anxiety & Slight Depressed moo (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

"So far, so good! I started on 10mg daily, then after a week, my dosage was increased to 20mg daily. I have been on this stuff for just under a month now, and I am starting to feel a bit better already. Other people have also noticed and a few have commented that I seem perkier and more alive. I have taken several different types of SSRI/SNRI antidepressants in the past and for me, this one is the best in terms of effectiveness and for side effects. I do get the weird, psychedelic dreams every night and wake up really groggy, I get a bit constipated and I can't stop yawning all day. Also, its difficult to orgasm. But, its still better than constantly wanting to die. I almost feel like going back to work......almost!"

Khati October 6, 2015

"I have only taken Lexapro (generic) for 3 days now. Dr. put me 5mg but told me to cut it in half for about a week. This morning when I woke up I felt GREAT! Not hypomanic great, just great all around. I didn't have the tormenting thoughts in my head as soon as woke up like I usually did. I have been on "depressed mode" with my BiPolar since at least May 2015 and I felt "real" and "normal" (whatever that is lol) this morning. I am very sensitive to medications with side effects of drowsiness and I have felt a little sleepy but not bad. I can actually accomplish things! I have had diarrhea but if I am going to feel like this then I can deal with it and it will probably go away."

Fab52 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

"I was on it for almost a year it helped enough I thought I was fine and stopped taking it. Once I was off I hit a low and was put back on it on a higher dose. I've been on it now for a year and all together nearly 2 and half. It does help but that doesn't mean there aren't still days that are bad and times I don't feel crappy. But it has made a big enough difference that I'm not trying to hurt myself or kill myself which is good!"

Desmen (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2015

"Started taking 5mg for one week, "

Vince9125 September 12, 2015

"Lexapro was a life saver for me. I have really bad TMJ and was in pain daily. The lexapro really helped me calm down and my symptoms went away within a few months! This was my first time taking any medication like this, and to be honest I was so embarrassed to be on it, but after I saw how much it helped me and others there is nothing to be ashamed of!! The only bad thing is I gained 10Lbs. I went from 123Lbs to 133Lbs in a matter of 5 months. (Still worked out 5 days a week and ate clean) Other than the weight gain I would highly recommend Lexapro."

KRITTY BIRD August 28, 2015

"I used this page for support when I first started out on Lexapro so I thought I'd give back. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg for dysthymia (mild chronic depression) and anxiety. The first few weeks were accompanied by a persistent mild headache and some nausea. I was much more tired - slept 8-hour nights plus an afternoon nap. 10 days into my prescription I was at the beach and I noticed some people's swimsuits appeared to have brighter colours. The world slowly began to appear more vivid visually and to have more "depth". At some point rumination stopped almost completely. Two months in, the world seems much more inviting and much less harsh than it used to. This drug works for me."

AllThatJazz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works really good. I also have anxiety and for the most part it helps. I still get anxious but that's just a part of life. Only thing about this medication I don't like is that it's very addictive. Not in the way you need to take it and take more of it like pain pills but rather, if you miss a doss or run out and are unable to fill it you will go through withdrawals. Neurological withdrawals, which are awful. So always make sure you get your refills on time!"

Neurologically imperfect August 10, 2015

"I just started this medicine 3 days ago and I cannot express how much of an effect it has had on me already. I just graduated high school and became depressed soon after, severe anxiety where I couldn't go out to eat without having to vomit. I also couldn't keep focus on anything, especially when trying to talk to people, and overall was in the worst state of my life. Thought I was hopefully, constantly having break downs etc. the doctor prescribed this medicine to me a few months before graduation due to anxiety and overall not feeling myself, I was definitely skeptical and taking medicine in my eyes was a sign of weakness so, I put off the treatment hoping I could cure myself out of this funk. I went to ctb and it helped but it was mainly focused on anxiety. I stopped going because it seemed a waste of my time. Graduation rolls around, my best friends leaves for college really early and my life falls apart. A week was about all I could take of the constant emptiness, headaches and nauseous I got from being so depressed so I decided to start lexapro. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg and the first day I took it (in the morning) I was in a state of euphoria. Just a little background on myself, I was never that outgoing but constantly happy. Never the one to be outgoing in front of strangers and was very conscious of people around me. Not on this pill. I was loopy, could not stop laughing and would not shut up. Although this was great, it did not feel normal and I had very bad dizziness and insomnia that night as the drug began to wear off.. But I wasn't laying in bed miserably like I did countless nights before, I kind of sat there with a smile so it was actually kind of creepy. That morning I called my physician and asked if this was a normal or okay reaction considering I've been told you shouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. He mentioned that it was "weird" that I had this response but it was a negative one. He recommended I cut my dosage in half and stick with taking 5 kg a day since the 10 obviously overtook my body. Within hours of hanging up I popped half a tablet and can honestly say I felt happy without many side effects. I continued this the following day and my relationship with my boyfriend, family, and friends has greatly improved, I sleep better, I can laugh and actually mean it and I can go in public places without constantly being self conscious. I've heard it can have bad results in week 1 and 2 but after taking this medicine for only 3 days, whether it's the placebo effect or not, has saved me and helped me to return to my normal self."

Shayyyyyyd (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"17. My mood before ranged from sad to completely neutral about everything. I was unmotivated, irritable, had chronic migraines, was constantly exhausted but unable to sleep without meds and felt like I had a huge weight on my shoulders. Now I've been taking Lexapro/ Cipralex for 1 week. I didn't get dry mouth thankfully. I feel lighter, wake up very alert, and less irritable. I had a bit of nausea and some pupil dilation the first couple nights and I feel a bit antsy overall. I found that with Seroquel for sleep, I would fall asleep within half an hour. Combined with Lexapro/Cipralex I can fall asleep within 15 minutes. I take it around 11pm and then I take the Seroquel whenever I want to go to sleep. So far it's been pretty good."

Kat_679 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

"At the age of 55, I found the only drug that has worked for me in 35 years, I can't even begin to explain my childhood or experiences thereafter, as soon as I could, I sought medical attention with my limited finances. Before that, all I could do was drink and have a good time. I thank God I finally was given Lexapro, (Escitalopram.) I felt relief immediately, whereas NOTHING else did, and was happy, After all the drugs I tried, I have no side effects with Lexapro. I hope this gives hope to those who have been searching. God bless you above and beyond your dreams. With LOVE."

Carbini (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I seriously used to cry everyday and wonder when my life would change. I felt like I was stuck and had no one to talk to that would understand the way I felt. I used to think of all different ways to end the pain but I knew suicide was not the answer. I felt empty inside and tried everything to make myself feel better. I would turn to food to make myself feel better and I felt I was spiraling out of control. I would isolate myself from everyone. I resulted in cutting myself and I felt a sense of relief. I knew I needed help immediately. I told my doctor everything I was experiencing with tears in my eyes. He prescribed me lexapro and after two weeks I felt like a different person. It made me feel so much better and I could recognize myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm a 21 year old female and have been taking lexapro for only a short while,but I can honestly say that it has been a miracle for me.Ive been treated for depression since I was 13.Ive been on everything,paxil,celexa,wellbutrin,zoloft,ability (taken with paxil) and nothing ever worked. I had been suicidal and had been self harming for as long as I can remember. I also have a crippling anxiety that made social interaction painful and almost unbearable.I had been hosptilized once as a teenager for a suicide attempt..But I got a new doctor recently,and she prescribed lexapro. For the first time in as long as I can remember I feel happy.i can actually sleep and not eaten up by worry or hopeless depression.i finally feel like a human being. :)"

moodybluez93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Lexapro for almost 6 years now and it has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I first started off with 10mg for about 3 months but didn't notice a huge change in my depression and my anxiety would come and go. After a serious panic attack that hospitalized me for the day my doctor decided to up my dose to 20mg a day. After that I was much happier and less anxious person. My doctor also gave me Xanax for any sudden panic attacks that I do get, but thankfully I haven't had to take it very often (maybe once every 3 months or so). The only side effect I suffered from was drowsiness and it would knock me out at night when I first started. Now in perfectly fine. I'm really glad I started taking this medicine!"

ReaMadison July 10, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now (10/mg). I have not had any differences with my depression or anxiety. In fact my anxiety is still bad. It also makes me crave food that I'm not a huge fan of. Very confusing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2015

"My Dr. put me on Lexapro 10mg x 1 week then to go to 20mg their after for menopausal symptoms, sweats, insomnia. I am a retired nurse and felt so horrible on the 20mg, nausea, sweats, diarrhea,... I called him and he tapered me to to 10 mg q. H.S. it did the job!!!! so for hell of 12 weeks on the 20mg, dropping to 10 mg has made my life shine!!! Hang in there! SSRI's do have a lot of bad side effects, but ride them out! Life is good!"

lanajean (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for two weeks now and I can definitely say that my life has been so much better. I'm on 10 mg and I take one every day. I haven't had any negative side effects expect on my first day taking it I felt dizzy and a little spaced out but they subsided by day 3. Lexapro saved my life! I use to cry everyday and think so much but now all of that has stopped. I'm feeling better, sleeping better; life is just better. Give it a try if you have depression/anxiety."

DMH94MK92 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Everything in my life caused gut-wrenching sadness and I felt disconnected from the world at 18, as I suffered from depression and social anxiety. I was prescribed this medication after my depression gradually got worse. Initially (for the first 2 weeks) my symptoms worsened drastically. Then, one day it was like someone flipped a switch, and I felt good again, like I hadn't in years. I felt like I could be myself. My grades went up, I got into a great private university, and I dated like crazy. I also was less hostile and I could solve problems and assert myself more. I cannot emphasize how grateful I am for this medication, it changed my life. Just give it time to work I am a male btw, and I was on a pretty moderated dose."

Neuroguy May 24, 2015

"Have MDNOS/possibly Bipolar. Went on Lamictal about 5 years ago which saved my life (awful, terrible mood swings). Was still fairly down so added Celexa after 1 year. This helped but after 2 years it lost efficacy. Switched to Lexapro 18 months ago to combat that and it worked for a while. But the side effects have gotten worse. After 6 months taking it my libido started decreasing and now it is literally gone. I get "high" when I take it then crash and feel like a zombie until I take it again. I have no motivation at work, can't stay focused, restless, can't just sit and be content, no emotion. Unless I'm depressed or pissed. It's not worth it. My new doctor is weaning me off it, thank god, here's hoping I come out okay on the other side."

Jenny476 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015