User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

Review by TS80: User Rating:

Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 6:37 PM
Review by limitless (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

This stuff is like magic. I have never been as happy or self actualized as I am now. I can do things I could never do before. No side effects that matter.

March 16, 2014 1:35 PM
Review by Focus and clarity (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I've always had anxiety more than most for years since I was a kid. In last few years (I am 50 yr. old male) this grew into depression. It got to the point I would get paralyzed on the next task over thinking it - I couldn't be decisive. Then I would get depressed because I couldn't get things under control which led to lack of sleep - continuous cycle. I was always against anti-depressants (for the weak I thought). I tried everything - exercise, no alcohol, no sugar, sleep aids - with little success. I finally gave Lexapro a chance. It brought the anxiety noise level & depression way down and allowed me to get perspective and sleep. Occasional chills, but less over time. No other side effects for me. Glad I did it.

March 16, 2014 9:00 AM
Review by good as gold:

I have been on Lexapro for the past 10 years for generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It works perfectly and I have no side effects at this point. You have to try different ones to find the right one for you. Don't worry about long term use. Your goal is to return to a normal life. Don't listen to the negative talk and just remember how good you feel. That is what is important as life is too short to worry about all the people who are negative about something that helps you. Good luck to them I say!

March 11, 2014 10:06 PM
Review by Tansy101 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Been off and on Lexapro for 4 years now. I dread having to go back on it as the side effects make me feel lousy - headaches, nausea, jittery, insomnia, lightheaded and anxious. After a week though I feel back to normal and my energy and love for life returns. Being a person who prefers not to take medication I know that sometimes you can fight too long before you need a helping hand - Lexapro helped me. If you do get side effects at the beginning I advise you to go with the flow, understand that it's the medication working & think positive - take care to you all.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 1, 2014 4:15 AM
Review by Jeri Lee: User Rating:

I was diagnosed, with a panic disorder. I was always well traveled, worked hard and had a great social life, then my life changed over night. You can't explain to anyone the feeling of complete helplessness unless you are living it. Anyway long story short Lexapro saved my life, even though could not orgasm while taking it and gained 10 kilos, but I was able too come off it after a year. And now I'm living a normal life again.

February 20, 2014 5:53 AM
Review by Bo Diddle: User Rating:

I have been on Lexapro for years, it has worked great. The trouble is finding a good medicine to use in combination with it. Abilify is a good one.

February 16, 2014 4:33 AM
Review by JaneNich: User Rating:

I was started on Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder because the Xanax I've been on for the past few years is now Schedule 8. I have been on it for 10 days now and I hate the side effects so I will not be taking any more tomorrow. I started out on 5mg for five days and felt nausea, intense headaches, excessive drowsiness, tremors and total lack of concentration. Then I was advised to up the dose to 10mg and things are worse as I feel extremely anxious and haven't left the house all weekend. Another side effect is extreme muscle jerking through the night. Definitely not for me.

February 15, 2014 8:05 AM
Review by maam madames (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro made me crazy. Everything from dry mouth, violent nightmares, violent kicking in my sleep, suicidal feelings, weird brain twitching, and many more symptoms. I started taking this medicine because it was deemed as the "miracle pill", however my experience was not pleasant. However, I have personally seen friends of mine use it and it has changed their lives..

February 13, 2014 8:06 PM
Review by vinpb90 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Sexually frustrated me and I was a little bit aggressive coming onto it. EVERYONE has a specific anti-depressant that will work for them. It's all trial and error. However, even though it didn't work for me, I'm a fan of the medication. Prozac, however, did the job.

February 9, 2014 1:41 PM
Review by Lexapro 1969 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Best antidepressant I've ever tried. Horrible sexual side effects, especially since I'm a newlywed. But at least I'm happy.

January 31, 2014 1:12 PM
Review by Cindy loo who: User Rating:

Once I got over the nausea, I loved how it helped me feel more human.

January 30, 2014 6:34 PM
Review by Marguerite1002: User Rating:

Searched for balance for years. Tried a lot of different meds. Lexapro made my life normal. Take 20mg and .5 mg of clonazepam at bedtime. I am in sales and people never would think I deal with anxiety and depression.

January 29, 2014 11:57 PM
Review by Jhjhjhjhjh: User Rating:

I'm 30 years, have been suffering from depression on and off for years. This year, I came down with a hard case of Seasonal Affective Disorder, which rendered me a useless ball of fear every day from the afternoon onward and eventually led to other problems (digestion, neurological, and otherwise). My doctor prescribed 10mg escilatopram. Goodness, I wasn't expecting much, but I feel absolutely fantastic now. I'm happy and can focus on daily activities, even in the dark winter evenings. Also, I've been on it for almost 2 months now, and I haven't noticed any side effects! No digestive or sexual problems which seem to be not-so-rarely reported.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 3, 2014 12:44 PM
Review by ahellwig (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

It works to control generalized anxiety disorder. However, don't stop taking it until your doctor tells you to after at least a year. My psych took me off after 6 months and the symptoms returned.

December 18, 2013 2:00 PM
Review by Prplreign (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have suffered from depression for years. At first I was a little apprehensive to take any medication but I had reached a low point. Everyday I woke up with a storm cloud over my head, I was irritable, quick to anger and always grumpy. I could literally feel the weight of my mood on me at all times. I barely laughed anymore, I didn't find anything enjoyable. I have been taking 10mg of Lexapro for three weeks now and I am floored by the difference it has made. It's like I can feel again. I know this sounds cliche, but everything is more vivid, more colorful, more lively. I didn't experience any side effects other than loss of appetite.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 26, 2013 8:05 PM
Review by Alice627 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro seemed to do some things to help with the negative thinking I had from depression, but it had the side effect of making me extremely tired all the time, which was enough to counteract any of the positive benefits I was getting from it. Zoloft ended up being the better medication for me.

November 24, 2013 2:44 PM
Review by radarscott (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I suffer from SAD and in the winter it sometimes felt like I could actually feel the darkness, especially on dreary days. I've been on Lexapro for 3 years and it has worked great. I only feel a tinge of "heaviness" if it stays dreary for several days, but even then it is nothing like it used to be.

November 9, 2013 9:11 PM
Review by Paul6999B: User Rating:

I am a 60 year male who became disabled 14 years ago. Every since I was unable to work or even walk I have been very depressed and had severe anxiety. Once I was started on 20 mgs of Lexapro I felt like a new person. It took a week or so for the full effect to come on but have had no problems with side effects at all. Thank God for Lexapro!

November 4, 2013 1:56 PM
Review by Emily_22 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was only on Lexapro for 2 weeks but in that time, I had a headache everyday, would get extremely tense muscles and the back of my neck, was very drowsy (took a few 2+ hour naps), felt dizzy (had some vertigo effects), couldn't focus on anything, and completely lost the ability to orgasm which caused my partner a lot of stress and made sex frustrating instead of enjoyable. I was on 5mg for a week then 10mg. It just wasn't worth it for me. I'm now taking Wellbutrin SR and like it so far (only on my 3rd day).

October 19, 2013 7:17 PM
Review by Mandypants: User Rating:

I'm 27 and have been on Lexapro for 8 months. I take 10mg/day (5mg in the morning, 5mg in the evening). I've been depressed since I was 14 and as an adult started having severe anxiety. I was in therapy for 10 yrs but still having a lot of trouble functioning. Lexapro has really made me FUNCTIONAL and happy, I enjoy my hobbies/friends more and I no longer obsess about things until I break myself down. MAJOR EFFECT FOR ME IS REDUCING OBSESSIVE THOUGHTS, cycles of worry/loneliness. I'm so happy with this medicine and want to be on it the rest of my life. My friendships, work, and romantic relationships are healthier. Only side effects are drowsiness (fixed by taking 2 small doses instead of 1 big one) and vivid dreams (awesome).

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 9, 2013 10:19 PM
Review by monetkay5 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on Lexapro for 14 months, 10 MG. I was hungry every 3 hours and gained 8 lbs. After I stopped Lexapro the excessive hunger disappeared. Also while on Lexapro I thought I had developed irritable bowel syndrome but all symptoms stopped when I went off Lexapro.

October 1, 2013 3:03 PM
Review by Flynn1234: User Rating:

After transitioning into university I had a really horrible time with anxiety. I started to feel down all the time and couldn't stand it. First I was given 10mgs and I worked well for the first two weeks, then I just felt worse. Been on 20mg and that is the perfect dose for me. I feel normal again, it's great to feel the way I used too.

September 27, 2013 3:27 AM
Review by vjh463: User Rating:

50 year old male with depression and anxiety from life changes and job. Resisted for a long time and judged others on SSRIs as weak. Finally crashed and admitted I needed help. Three months out now on 10 mg/day. Initial side effects were chills, yawns and slightly tense jaw muscles. All of that disappeared. Now I'm free of depressive bouts and greatly reduced anxiety. Has allowed me to enjoy things again and I get better sleep. I take it in the morning.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 25, 2013 10:17 PM
Review by hjjj: User Rating:

I was prescribed 10 mg once a day for depression and anxiety. After 3 months, I did notice a change in my mood. I would say it took about 3 weeks for me to notice a difference. I wasn't as anxious, less panic attacks and I wasn't as "down in the dumps". However, for me the side effects nulled the good. My sex drive decreased a good bit which caused problems in my relationship. I also experienced increased headaches, brain "zaps" and I was ALWAYS tired. I would yawn all day long LITERALLY. Being a full time college student, this was not good. I was too tired to enjoy life. All I wanted to do was sleep. I am now on Prozac.

September 25, 2013 9:06 PM