Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

Review by ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 6:30 PM

Review by Katzanddogz:

I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again.

April 9, 2015 10:23 PM

I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 5:37 PM

Review by 1wolfee:

Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better.

February 17, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Eutuxia:

I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by lilybrooke95 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

When I first started taking Lexapro it made my depression even more severe. Then after being on it for several weeks I became a zombie. No, I wasn't depressed anymore but I couldn't feel happy either. And it also made my night terrors much worse.

February 11, 2015 5:45 PM

Review by fee85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have always experienced small bouts of anxiety and depression before but nothing that ever really stuck around. A few months ago something caused me to become anxious, which lead to a panic attack which then lead to depression, and no matter what I did I just couldn't shake it. I couldn't eat, sleep, no desire to do anything, always anxious. I went to my doctor who put me on Lexapro. It immediately helped with my anxiety, and within a few days my depression lifted. I have now been on Lexapro for over 2 months and feel back to my normal self. Initial side effects: Very sleepy for about 3 days, nausea for a couple of nights. I still experience: Vivid dreams and low sex drive. I never experienced: Weight gain or insomnia. Overall very happy.

February 6, 2015 8:56 AM

Review by Meghan2015:

Saved me for the first six years I was on it. Unfortunately as with many SSRI's it will lose its great qualities after time. You can go above 20 mgs but its not recommended. I am adding Lithium to try to get it working again.

January 29, 2015 7:12 PM

I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus.

January 23, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by Bowj:

I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life.

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Astrophysic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking 20mgs of Lexapro every day 3 months ago. I have experienced the sexual side effects and lethargy associated with it, but it has served as a good mood stabilizer. In fact, it actually helped me to quit drinking. I had developed a daily routine with alcohol and had trouble stopping cold turkey. I needed something. I let the Lexapro work and after two weeks I lost my craving. That isn't to say it cures alcoholism or depression, but it's been just the assist I needed. I combine my medication with some therapy and self-help audio books. I'm in a much better place now than ever before. I strongly encourage anyone to give the medicine a chance to work.

January 11, 2015 7:29 PM

Review by jesb:

I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by willie jay:

Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by freeasabird (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started taking Lexapro after years of anxiety and constant feelings of doom and gloom, it came to a head about 4 years ago and I was seriously considering suicide, anyway I started going to counseling and taking 20 gms of Lexapro, I worked my way through it and about 2 months ago went cold turkey after cutting down to 10 mg for about 6 months. I got bad head spins and felt really tired but I'm coming good now, the interesting thing is that while I was on Lexapro my craving for beer went through the roof and I went from two stubbies a day to sometimes 20 and couldn't get enough. I lived for beer, now I'm off Lexapro I have lost that craving and the beer actually tastes bad so all good. I wonder now whether Lexapro was really doing anything

December 18, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by Kody G.:

I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by J.M.:

I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Tsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Out of nowhere, due to what they think is genetics, I got hit with depression, anxiety, and a form of OCD in my early twenties. The Lexapro was a life saver. Although, I still have negative thoughts on a daily basis, I'm able to cope, and I'm not miserable like I was. However, there is one common downside to this medicine that has left me terribly upset and frustrated. I've been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have put on about 20 lbs. I work out almost every day and eat right for the most part. I have not shed a pound. I've never been this big before and to me, I feel as though Lexapro isn't worth it anymore. I'm weening off of it with my doctor's help, and am going to try and cope with my issues with different methods.

November 16, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Survivorofdeath:

Worked amazing and turned my life around for 1-4 months then I got bad again and now I'm on something else, but Lexapro does effect my weight but I felt so amazing for 3 months and that was more important to me at the time.

November 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Z0RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 22 years old and have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder/ depression since I was a youngster stemming from childhood sexual abuse. This medicine has saved my life, it took about a month/ month and a half to kick in, but when it did it really eased my symptoms. I did experience some mild side effects in the beginning, but they all went away except for some loss of libido and delayed ejaculation. Overall, I would recommend this medicine to someone who is in a similar situation as I found myself in.

November 14, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by LifeLongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

Two weeks ago I began taking Lexapro and it is nothing short of a miracle. Although I was told it would take up to three weeks to work, I experienced relief almost immediately, within days. Prior to taking Lexapro, I was having suicidal thoughts nearly every day. My depression was so severe that it would wake me in the middle of the night, like a sharp pain or intense nausea. I would then lay awake. Since I started Lexapro, I haven't had any abnormal levels of anxiety or depression and I haven't had any suicidal thoughts. Side Effects: sleepy (take at night), mild nausea, extremely (almost too) mellow.

November 13, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I always knew I was vulnerable to having the blues, but it wasn't until I lost my motivation, could no longer enjoy the simple things in life (music, TV shows, vacation!) and would randomly burst into tears, did I realize this was something more serious. The first two weeks were brutal (1/2 tablet in morning, 1/2 tablet in evening). I was extremely anxious, had debilitating fatigue and zero appetite. Third week the symptoms set aside and I was a bit better but still felt robotic. Then the past 2-3 days, I noticed I was singing, joking around, MUCH less irritable and wasn't haunted by negative thoughts of doom or self-loathing. My memory is even better. Give it a fair chance, I promise you won't regret it.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by prolexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Delighted. Years of severe anxiety and depression resulting from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, culminating in total debilitation. Unable to work for 12 months and social withdrawal. Started on 5 mg...then up to 10 mg....on 15 mg now and in a week up to 20mg. Apart from sleep still evading me and quite profound sleepiness for the first few days, Lexapro is a Godsend. The fog is clearing, anxiety almost non existent...yay! Still slightly unmotivated but getting better every day! Works for me!

November 8, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Melsss:

I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM