User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"I've been on Lexapro for two weeks now and I can definitely say that my life has been so much better. I'm on 10 mg and I take one every day. I haven't had any negative side effects expect on my first day taking it I felt dizzy and a little spaced out but they subsided by day 3. Lexapro saved my life! I use to cry everyday and think so much but now all of that has stopped. I'm feeling better, sleeping better; life is just better. Give it a try if you have depression/anxiety."

DMH94MK92 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2015

"Everything in my life caused gut-wrenching sadness and I felt disconnected from the world at 18, as I suffered from depression and social anxiety. I was prescribed this medication after my depression gradually got worse. Initially (for the first 2 weeks) my symptoms worsened drastically. Then, one day it was like someone flipped a switch, and I felt good again, like I hadn't in years. I felt like I could be myself. My grades went up, I got into a great private university, and I dated like crazy. I also was less hostile and I could solve problems and assert myself more. I cannot emphasize how grateful I am for this medication, it changed my life. Just give it time to work I am a male btw, and I was on a pretty moderated dose."

Neuroguy May 24, 2015

"Have MDNOS/possibly Bipolar. Went on Lamictal about 5 years ago which saved my life (awful, terrible mood swings). Was still fairly down so added Celexa after 1 year. This helped but after 2 years it lost efficacy. Switched to Lexapro 18 months ago to combat that and it worked for a while. But the side effects have gotten worse. After 6 months taking it my libido started decreasing and now it is literally gone. I get "high" when I take it then crash and feel like a zombie until I take it again. I have no motivation at work, can't stay focused, restless, can't just sit and be content, no emotion. Unless I'm depressed or pissed. It's not worth it. My new doctor is weaning me off it, thank god, here's hoping I come out okay on the other side."

Jenny476 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

"Helped with depression at increased dosages but once at maximum dosage I had to change meds"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

"I have been on Lexapro for a year, it is fantastic, I feel so calm. I didn't want to go on anything but I'm so glad I did. Depression and Anxiety runs in my family, my 20 yr old who has tried to commit suicide has recently gone on it too, he is a different boy"

sharonlesley May 7, 2015

"Diagnosed with major depressive disorder 9 months ago, my whole life just fell apart, I coudn't sleep, couldn't eat, was having panic attacks every day. Tried every herbal remedy on the market but none of them worked. Started lexapro 4 months ago and it has helped to lift my mood by about 40% I am sleeping better but I am always tired and foggy headed everyday. I find myself being happy and full of life only 1 day a week then I will go back to the same way again, I am so sick of the ups and downs, last week I had 2 good days then a whole week of crying and feeling terrible. After 4 months It is just not doing what I thought it would have done for me. I feel like I will never get my old like back"

ChrisAus (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

"This review is based on my own experiences and my opinion doesn't reflect Lexapro (Escitalopram). I found Lexapro's starting side effects to be mild and tolerable - I experienced dizziness, nausea, dry mouth and sexual dysfunction. However, like I said they were mild and tolerable and they subsided after a few days. I experienced no worsening of my depressive or anxiety symptoms. As I just mentioned I suffer from depression and anxiety and although I didn't find Lexapro to be a "miracle pill" that fully cured me of my ailment's but it did significantly alleviate them to mild and tolerable levels. Overall for me Lexapro was an easy antidepressant to start and it has been effective in treating my depression and anxiety."

James93 May 3, 2015

"I felt better during the day after about a week, but the side effects have been unpleasant. Mainly the lack of sleep. Since the first day I started I couldn't get a good quality night sleep. Only 2 weeks in and I'm already feeling how I did before. Did the depression and anxiety go away? Yeah, for a short time. But it just gives me this fake happiness that I can't really describe. Its like a lot of the sadness goes away, but so does many other good feelings. I may be because of the lack of sleep/appetite/sex drive, but all in all, hasn't really helped me."

chris1469 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"I found Lexapro to be only slightly effective for Seasonal Affective Disorder and mild depression. It worked better for anxiety. I was able to sleep on this medication. It exacerbated my tinnitus, but otherwise there were no noteworthy side effects."

B-Hurd April 29, 2015

"Started Lexapro four days ago,psychologically I feel better but have had terrible nausea,headaches and trouble sleeping at night."

Sophiaaaaa April 28, 2015

"It's incredible how much Lexapro has improved my overall emotional wellness in such a short amount of time. I was extremely hesitant to start medication for obvious reasons, but after much research I decided to give it a try. I cannot stress enough how much of a positive effect Lexapro has had on my life. Just feeling that the darkest of clouds has been lifted after lingering for years is pure happiness and relief; I didn't even think it was possible. The first week I was pretty nauseous and I still get drowsy and have some trouble sleeping on this medication, but it is nothing compared to how I felt prior to taking Lexapro. You deserve to be HAPPY. Give it a try."

AATM (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I'm a 66 y/o female with what I think is "atypical depression", meaning I am not melancholy and not unduly anxious, but suffer from what I lovingly call "homocidal irritation," which can escalate to rage pretty easily. Lexapro (10mg) over the past 8-9 yrs has been a lifesafer, as any of my friends will readily corroborate. If I go off for a few days (refill issues), they can tell! However since my mother died 3 yrs ago and ended my 13-year role as caregiver, I have sunk into a very narrow life, with few interests, a morbid aversion to human interaction, and often a complete inability to get out of bed and tend to the simple basics, like eating, showering, and dressing. Have added 20mg of Wellbutrin to the mix, but so far no improvement."

riknavpdx (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

"I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can."

ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

"I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again."

Katzanddogz April 9, 2015

"Lexapro has worked well for me. My anxiety and depression are about gone. The first 2 months were pretty bad and I almost quit many times but am glad I didn't. Side effects included night sweats, tinitus, headaches, insomnia, sexual issues, dizzzyness...... Most of this has resolved now after 3 months. Adding a b complex with folate and omega 3 seems to have helped me. This is a very good drug for anxiety and depression but you'll need to be very patient, and struggle thru the initial side effects"

bob z March 14, 2015

"Had a major depressive episode out of nowhere (no stressful life circumstances). When I started on 10 mg I stayed awake 40 hours straight and had panic attacks. Went off it. After horrible Effexor side effects I started on 5 mg of Lexapro again (I was absolutely desperate) and gradually increased. For the first two weeks this drug made my anxiety/depression way worse and I became delusional, but once I took a very small dose of seroquel I became progressively better each day and I have no symptoms of mental illness whatsoever anymore. Completely healed me of depression."

Anonymous February 25, 2015

"I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far."

Anonymous February 22, 2015

"Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better."

1wolfee February 17, 2015

"I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you."

Eutuxia February 17, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"When I first started taking Lexapro it made my depression even more severe. Then after being on it for several weeks I became a zombie. No, I wasn't depressed anymore but I couldn't feel happy either. And it also made my night terrors much worse."

lilybrooke95 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2015

"I have always experienced small bouts of anxiety and depression before but nothing that ever really stuck around. A few months ago something caused me to become anxious, which lead to a panic attack which then lead to depression, and no matter what I did I just couldn't shake it. I couldn't eat, sleep, no desire to do anything, always anxious. I went to my doctor who put me on Lexapro. It immediately helped with my anxiety, and within a few days my depression lifted. I have now been on Lexapro for over 2 months and feel back to my normal self. Initial side effects: Very sleepy for about 3 days, nausea for a couple of nights. I still experience: Vivid dreams and low sex drive. I never experienced: Weight gain or insomnia. Overall very happy."

fee85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2015

"Saved me for the first six years I was on it. Unfortunately as with many SSRI's it will lose its great qualities after time. You can go above 20 mgs but its not recommended. I am adding Lithium to try to get it working again."

Meghan2015 January 29, 2015

"I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus."

Anonymous January 23, 2015

"I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life."

Bowj January 12, 2015

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking 20mgs of Lexapro every day 3 months ago. I have experienced the sexual side effects and lethargy associated with it, but it has served as a good mood stabilizer. In fact, it actually helped me to quit drinking. I had developed a daily routine with alcohol and had trouble stopping cold turkey. I needed something. I let the Lexapro work and after two weeks I lost my craving. That isn't to say it cures alcoholism or depression, but it's been just the assist I needed. I combine my medication with some therapy and self-help audio books. I'm in a much better place now than ever before. I strongly encourage anyone to give the medicine a chance to work."

Astrophysic (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2015