User Reviews for Symbicort

Learn more about Symbicort.

Symbicort review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 65 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Review by Suzi in Illinois (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been on Advair for several years which worked great for maintenance of my ashtma-no side effects. Though, my health insurance changed and they don't cover Advair anymore. Dr put me on Symbicort. After the first two weeks I've developed side effects of nervousness, light-headedness, and the most distressing-ringing in the ears. Now I'm going on a month on Symbicort and still the ringing persists. Lung function is great. I've never needed my rescue inhaler on Symbicort or Advair either. Now in the process of trying to get my insurance company to pay for Advair which I prefer in the first place.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2014 9:57 AM
Review by Gamecockgirl97: User Rating:

I knew this medicine helped, in conjunction with the Spiriva I am on, but didn't realize until today how much. I noticed this morning, I didn't really feel it or anything going down but didn't pay attention and just went about my business (not sure how long it had been like that). Have had to use my rescue inhaler often today, and had to use my nebulizer. I didn't put two and two together until I noticed the dosage counter was on 0 when I looked at it tonight and it all made since. Only then did I realize how important it was. With it left out of the equation, my asthma was definitely not under control.

November 17, 2013 4:26 AM
Review by kartking (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Been on Symbicort now for 15 years. Best thing ever, no side effects, clears my chest in seconds.

November 15, 2013 7:20 PM
Review by 50: User Rating:

I began taking Advair, but after 6 months I began having hand tremors. I tried Symbicort, but the side effects were too strong for me to tolerate. My asthma symptoms were improved. I was very nervous and stressed when I tried it twice. I called for advice about the medication and was told that Symbicort, Advair and Dulera are only slightly different in chemical composition. It was suggested by the pharmacist to call my doctor to discuss trying the other medications. Dulera works well for me now. I do have mild leg cramps. It may be good to contact your doctor and see which medication will give you the least side effects.

October 18, 2013 4:32 PM
Review by Dabitztown: User Rating:

A great complement for my Proventil inhaler. Gets rid of the asthma when the rescue inhaler does not do its job.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 8, 2013 5:01 PM
Review by Linda/Australia (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Comforting to read that others have muscle cramps when using Symbicort. I particularly am now getting cramp in my calf when stretching in bed and good to know this is probably the reason. I also get bleeding soooo easily on my arms now with any minor knock. Minor side effects I think though to be able to breath again and no use of Ventolin since starting on Symbicort 200.

February 13, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by Tom Swank Charlotte Mi (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have had asthma for all 28 years of my life. I used to use my Albuterol inhaler no less than four times a day for over six years. My life was miserable. After many failed maintenance meds my doctor gave me Symbicort. Its like being in a totally different life. I use my emergency inhaler so infrequently that I forget where it is all the time as I used to sleep with it in my hand...All night. Thank you Symbicort and a big old shout out to my Doc. thank you for giving me my life back.

January 17, 2013 7:50 AM
Review by Nayomi (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've always had mild asthma, but about 6 months ago, it got really bad and I was using my Ventolin like every 2 hours. Especially at night, I'd wake up almost every hour and need to have a puff of Ventolin. It was bad, I know, but I kept putting up with it. But last time I went to the doctor, I mentioned how bad it had got and she put me on another asthma medication called Symbicort. It's saved my life, makes it SO much more easy to manage. Now I never use Ventolin at all and I only have two puffs of this Symbicort at night... it's amazing. It's made my life so much easier.

December 30, 2012 10:31 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Asthma, improved, however the loss of my hair by almost 30% and effect in my voice by creating hoarseness, made me to stop the usage of the SYMBICORT.

July 26, 2012 5:51 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

After trying rescue inhaler and corticosteroid inhaler, I used Symbicort 3 times so far, 2 puffs morning and evening. I haven't experienced any asthma attack but a different type of breathing problem with burning sensation in my chest with nausea and I had to use rescue inhaler. Will call the doctor soon to see if lowering dosage will improve that.

July 25, 2012 9:15 AM
Review by MBP (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Generally, I have done quite well on this medicine when used in combination therapy. Lately, however I have developed a raspy voice and increased asthma symptoms. This may be unrelated to Symbicort and I will be seeing a physician shortly to address.

July 13, 2012 12:06 PM
Review by Colonel L (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I took Symbicort 200/6 for 6 years and although it's an effective asthma preventative I suffered an increased number of chest infections and couldn't tolerate temperatures above 30c/86f, this intolerance subsided within a few days of stopping.

May 2, 2012 6:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have used many different types of inhalers for asthma control. Symbicort seems to work well, but may cause significant personality modification (nervous, angry at small things, anxiety over small things) and muscle/bone aching that is significant, especially if any work is done , even small things.

December 12, 2011 10:42 AM
Review by tillyblue: User Rating:

I have been using Symbicort for the past two years. Before that I had constant chest infections and has loads of steroids and antibiotics. But since I was given this I can do a lot more and don't need my Ventolin very much at all.

October 10, 2011 3:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have had asthma for some 20 years. Tried everything on the market. Was using rescue inhaler 10 times a day. Finally was put on Symbicort, and after one day was breathing easier. No coughing, wheezing, or tightness. Only side effect that has bothered me is, severe muscle cramps in my sides. I'll take cramps over not breathing any day.

September 8, 2011 11:45 AM
Review by anna2010: User Rating:

4 years on Symbicort=no asthma. Very expensive here. Side effects yes, worst is any small knock on hands or arms result in instant bruises.

May 10, 2011 4:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

As I got older my asthma got worse, and eventually my doctor gave me Symbicort. I absolutely loved it, and I would totally recommend it. I only had to use it once a day, and I was able to go about my day with no shortness of breath. I was finally confident enough to engage in a lot of activities without the fear of struggling. The only problem I had with this medication was that if I missed a dose I found that I would have a full blown asthma attack. I don't know if anyone else has had that problem.

May 7, 2011 10:32 PM
Review by reneezdaiszy: User Rating:

I have been asthmatic for years, I was using my other inhaler up to 6 times a day, and then my doctor suggested Symbicort and it has been like a miracle. The first time I used it and ever since its just worked great, no more asthma at all. Amazing..anyway I have had no side effects so far...and I pray I don't so I can get back to exercising, I had to stop before, I would have an asthma attack every time. So no we will see if I can climb that hill.

January 29, 2011 7:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I can't live without it. The best asthma medicine ever! I don't use my rescue inhaler ever, and I can sleep all night without waking up gasping for air.

August 12, 2010 4:45 PM
Review by beachgoinanalyst: User Rating:

Helps with maintenance and if I forget to take it, it usually starts working relatively quickly after I have taken my normal dosage.

July 19, 2010 9:32 PM

I'm a seasonal asthmatic. My worst months are May to September. I was using my Ventolin inhaler up to 8 times a day on the onset of my allergy season, so my Doctor put me on Symbicort. The effects were immediate. I've been using it for 2 weeks and haven't used my rescue inhaler since. My side effects are no different than the side effects of my inhaler - increased heart rate and dry cough.

June 15, 2010 2:52 PM
Review by wolflew: User Rating:

Symbicort has made an amazing improvement in my Asthma since I started taking it. I have asthma triggered by pollen, grasses and weeds. During the pollen season here in Atlanta, I wore a mask to go outside. Now I don't have to. Our pollen season is long: March through to May and I was miserable until my Allergist (MD) put be on this medication. You have to give it a few days to take effect but then you can really feel the difference in your airways after you've taken the prescribed inhalations. P.S. I also take Allegra (antihistamine) - so the two products have helped me breathe like a normal person, finally.

May 29, 2010 5:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

My breathing improved after a few days but after being on the inhaler for one week, I began developing oral thrush. My doctor put me on the lower dosage (after a week on Difucan for the thrush) and had me use a spacer but, after one week, I had the thrush again and he had to take me off the medication. I don't know if that is more of a rare reaction to the medication. I always rinsed out my mouth after using the inhaler but it didn't seem to help.

May 24, 2010 5:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on different asthma medications for the past 3 years and this is the first one that actually works. No wonder this inhaler costs so much more than the other kinds! The only side effect I have is awareness of my own heart beat when I am lying down.

March 8, 2010 5:02 PM
Review by TheMilkman01: User Rating:

After having asthma for 23 years, using my inhaler four to eight times daily, and no preventative inhalers ever working, I was given Symbicort. At first I thought it was just another expensive inhaler that wouldn't work, but I was shocked. After one day I was using my inhaler twice a day, and after the first week I went over 24 hours without using a rescue inhaler (the first time in 23 years!). While I still carry it around, I used it 0-2 times daily (a big improvement!). Inhalers that lasted two weeks now last six weeks, or longer. I have noticed that I get a chest pain (like soreness) when I first started, or restart after forgetting it for a week or two. It eventually goes away.

July 23, 2009 2:27 PM