User Reviews for Symbicort

Learn more about Symbicort.

Symbicort Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"Symbicort has COMPLETELY changed my life. I'm 23 and have been living with severe asthma my entire life. I was using my rescue inhaler 5+ times a day and unable to even climb the steps to my apartment without chest pain and wheezing. I'd tried other medications such as Advair and Singulair, but saw no change in symptoms. Finally, after being completely fed up with being so young, yet unable to go for a walk in the park, or stand within 10 feet of an animal, I talked to my doctor and was prescribed Symbicort. After two weeks, taking 4 puffs a day, it's almost like I don't have asthma anymore. Now, I take one puff every few weeks for maintenance. I can sleep through an entire night, my thinking is much more clear, and I couldn't be happier."

TriSarahtops19 May 17, 2015

"I was perfectly controlled on Seratide but my medical practitioner advised me to change. As far as I can tell, Symbicort has no effect at all. I don't get relief from the reliever part and I wake up coughing and spluttering. I still need to use ventolin. If I didn't know better, I would say it was a placebo."

Whywhywhywhy May 9, 2015

"I was able to breathe finally. I had always been out of breath. All day. When I started taking Symbicort, I could breathe. And I would've been able to clean, and play with my kids, go for a walk, excercise. However, I stopped taking it. The side effects were horrible. I was angry, on edge. Worst constant headache ever! It wasn't fair to my family. Waiting to find an alternative."

LeeLee1111 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

"Severe cough at night. Doctor diagnosed asthma. Symbicort 80/4.5 helped with cough but side effects were awful. Mood, agitation and anger from the steroid were intolerable. "

the Boon January 10, 2015

"I'm a 59 year old male with asthma that has been on this medicine for 12 years. I've tried them all and this seems to work the best for me. A few concerns I have since starting this is cramps in my calves and hands. You need to take vitamin supplements i.e. calcium and magnesium. I've developed tinnitus or ringing in the ear, now constantly. Not sure if this is related. I also have sinusitis so bad that I will be having a turbinate reduction soon. You will develop a thrush or hoarse throat if you don't gargle or rinse after use. I take 2 puffs in the morning and that usually does the trick."

andyman4 (taken for 10 years or more) December 25, 2014

"I went to the Dr. on Wednesday for severe asthma and he put me on Symbicort along with a 10 day dose of Prednisone. I can tell you that Thursday I used my Ventolin inhaler only once where I had been using the Ventolin 10-12 times a day. I woke up Friday morning not wheezing. This is the first time I can ever remember not wheezing and short of breath in the morning. After 2 puffs of Symbicort Friday morning, I am clear as a bell this afternoon. This stuff is amazing and I feel read to start running again."

Golferguy09 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2014

"Suffering asthma for more than 60 years."

cafecleite (taken for 10 years or more) July 9, 2014

"My son has been taking Symbicort 200/6 for 4 years and it has worked well. He started feeling fatigued about a year ago and has been diagnosed in the last week with adrenal suppression/shutdown which is a noted possible reaction. If any users feel fatigued or have difficulty fighting infections I would suggest getting cortisol tested promptly."

JimZ June 7, 2014

"While this medicine seems to work well, it does have side effects. For me it is very easy bruising. I also had two cases of a broken blood vessels. The really scary part, however, is trying to stop. Do not go cold turkey. I am now trying to ease off and am having anxiety attacks for hours."

Mossbreathe May 27, 2014

"I've been on Advair for several years which worked great for maintenance of my ashtma-no side effects. Though, my health insurance changed and they don't cover Advair anymore. Dr put me on Symbicort. After the first two weeks I've developed side effects of nervousness, light-headedness, and the most distressing-ringing in the ears. Now I'm going on a month on Symbicort and still the ringing persists. Lung function is great. I've never needed my rescue inhaler on Symbicort or Advair either. Now in the process of trying to get my insurance company to pay for Advair which I prefer in the first place."

Suzi in Illinois (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2014

"I knew this medicine helped, in conjunction with the Spiriva I am on, but didn't realize until today how much. I noticed this morning, I didn't really feel it or anything going down but didn't pay attention and just went about my business (not sure how long it had been like that). Have had to use my rescue inhaler often today, and had to use my nebulizer. I didn't put two and two together until I noticed the dosage counter was on 0 when I looked at it tonight and it all made since. Only then did I realize how important it was. With it left out of the equation, my asthma was definitely not under control."

Gamecockgirl97 November 17, 2013

"Been on Symbicort now for 15 years. Best thing ever, no side effects, clears my chest in seconds."

kartking (taken for 10 years or more) November 15, 2013

"I began taking Advair, but after 6 months I began having hand tremors. I tried Symbicort, but the side effects were too strong for me to tolerate. My asthma symptoms were improved. I was very nervous and stressed when I tried it twice. I called for advice about the medication and was told that Symbicort, Advair and Dulera are only slightly different in chemical composition. It was suggested by the pharmacist to call my doctor to discuss trying the other medications. Dulera works well for me now. I do have mild leg cramps. It may be good to contact your doctor and see which medication will give you the least side effects."

50 October 18, 2013

"A great complement for my Proventil inhaler. Gets rid of the asthma when the rescue inhaler does not do its job."

Dabitztown October 8, 2013

"Comforting to read that others have muscle cramps when using Symbicort. I particularly am now getting cramp in my calf when stretching in bed and good to know this is probably the reason. I also get bleeding soooo easily on my arms now with any minor knock. Minor side effects I think though to be able to breath again and no use of Ventolin since starting on Symbicort 200."

Linda/Australia (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2013

"I have had asthma for all 28 years of my life. I used to use my Albuterol inhaler no less than four times a day for over six years. My life was miserable. After many failed maintenance meds my doctor gave me Symbicort. Its like being in a totally different life. I use my emergency inhaler so infrequently that I forget where it is all the time as I used to sleep with it in my hand...All night. Thank you Symbicort and a big old shout out to my Doc. thank you for giving me my life back."

Tom Swank Charlotte Mi (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2013

"I've always had mild asthma, but about 6 months ago, it got really bad and I was using my Ventolin like every 2 hours. Especially at night, I'd wake up almost every hour and need to have a puff of Ventolin. It was bad, I know, but I kept putting up with it. But last time I went to the doctor, I mentioned how bad it had got and she put me on another asthma medication called Symbicort. It's saved my life, makes it SO much more easy to manage. Now I never use Ventolin at all and I only have two puffs of this Symbicort at night... it's amazing. It's made my life so much easier."

Nayomi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2012

"Asthma, improved, however the loss of my hair by almost 30% and effect in my voice by creating hoarseness, made me to stop the usage of the SYMBICORT."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2012

"After trying rescue inhaler and corticosteroid inhaler, I used Symbicort 3 times so far, 2 puffs morning and evening. I haven't experienced any asthma attack but a different type of breathing problem with burning sensation in my chest with nausea and I had to use rescue inhaler. Will call the doctor soon to see if lowering dosage will improve that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2012

"Generally, I have done quite well on this medicine when used in combination therapy. Lately, however I have developed a raspy voice and increased asthma symptoms. This may be unrelated to Symbicort and I will be seeing a physician shortly to address."

MBP (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2012

"I took Symbicort 200/6 for 6 years and although it's an effective asthma preventative I suffered an increased number of chest infections and couldn't tolerate temperatures above 30c/86f, this intolerance subsided within a few days of stopping."

Colonel L (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 2, 2012

"I have used many different types of inhalers for asthma control. Symbicort seems to work well, but may cause significant personality modification (nervous, angry at small things, anxiety over small things) and muscle/bone aching that is significant, especially if any work is done , even small things."

Anonymous December 12, 2011

"I have been using Symbicort for the past two years. Before that I had constant chest infections and has loads of steroids and antibiotics. But since I was given this I can do a lot more and don't need my Ventolin very much at all."

tillyblue October 10, 2011

"I have had asthma for some 20 years. Tried everything on the market. Was using rescue inhaler 10 times a day. Finally was put on Symbicort, and after one day was breathing easier. No coughing, wheezing, or tightness. Only side effect that has bothered me is, severe muscle cramps in my sides. I'll take cramps over not breathing any day."

Anonymous September 8, 2011

"4 years on Symbicort=no asthma. Very expensive here. Side effects yes, worst is any small knock on hands or arms result in instant bruises. "

anna2010 May 10, 2011