User Reviews for Symbicort

Learn more about Symbicort.

Symbicort review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Review by cafecleite (taken for 10 years or more):

Suffering asthma for more than 60 years.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by JimZ:

My son has been taking Symbicort 200/6 for 4 years and it has worked well. He started feeling fatigued about a year ago and has been diagnosed in the last week with adrenal suppression/shutdown which is a noted possible reaction. If any users feel fatigued or have difficulty fighting infections I would suggest getting cortisol tested promptly.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2014 5:04 AM

Review by Mossbreathe:

While this medicine seems to work well, it does have side effects. For me it is very easy bruising. I also had two cases of a broken blood vessels. The really scary part, however, is trying to stop. Do not go cold turkey. I am now trying to ease off and am having anxiety attacks for hours.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 4:56 PM

Review by Suzi in Illinois (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Advair for several years which worked great for maintenance of my ashtma-no side effects. Though, my health insurance changed and they don't cover Advair anymore. Dr put me on Symbicort. After the first two weeks I've developed side effects of nervousness, light-headedness, and the most distressing-ringing in the ears. Now I'm going on a month on Symbicort and still the ringing persists. Lung function is great. I've never needed my rescue inhaler on Symbicort or Advair either. Now in the process of trying to get my insurance company to pay for Advair which I prefer in the first place.

February 27, 2014 9:57 AM

Review by Gamecockgirl97:

I knew this medicine helped, in conjunction with the Spiriva I am on, but didn't realize until today how much. I noticed this morning, I didn't really feel it or anything going down but didn't pay attention and just went about my business (not sure how long it had been like that). Have had to use my rescue inhaler often today, and had to use my nebulizer. I didn't put two and two together until I noticed the dosage counter was on 0 when I looked at it tonight and it all made since. Only then did I realize how important it was. With it left out of the equation, my asthma was definitely not under control.

November 17, 2013 4:26 AM

Review by kartking (taken for 10 years or more):

Been on Symbicort now for 15 years. Best thing ever, no side effects, clears my chest in seconds.

November 15, 2013 7:20 PM

Review by 50:

I began taking Advair, but after 6 months I began having hand tremors. I tried Symbicort, but the side effects were too strong for me to tolerate. My asthma symptoms were improved. I was very nervous and stressed when I tried it twice. I called for advice about the medication and was told that Symbicort, Advair and Dulera are only slightly different in chemical composition. It was suggested by the pharmacist to call my doctor to discuss trying the other medications. Dulera works well for me now. I do have mild leg cramps. It may be good to contact your doctor and see which medication will give you the least side effects.

October 18, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by Dabitztown:

A great complement for my Proventil inhaler. Gets rid of the asthma when the rescue inhaler does not do its job.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by Linda/Australia (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Comforting to read that others have muscle cramps when using Symbicort. I particularly am now getting cramp in my calf when stretching in bed and good to know this is probably the reason. I also get bleeding soooo easily on my arms now with any minor knock. Minor side effects I think though to be able to breath again and no use of Ventolin since starting on Symbicort 200.

February 13, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Tom Swank Charlotte Mi (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have had asthma for all 28 years of my life. I used to use my Albuterol inhaler no less than four times a day for over six years. My life was miserable. After many failed maintenance meds my doctor gave me Symbicort. Its like being in a totally different life. I use my emergency inhaler so infrequently that I forget where it is all the time as I used to sleep with it in my hand...All night. Thank you Symbicort and a big old shout out to my Doc. thank you for giving me my life back.

January 17, 2013 7:50 AM

Review by Nayomi (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've always had mild asthma, but about 6 months ago, it got really bad and I was using my Ventolin like every 2 hours. Especially at night, I'd wake up almost every hour and need to have a puff of Ventolin. It was bad, I know, but I kept putting up with it. But last time I went to the doctor, I mentioned how bad it had got and she put me on another asthma medication called Symbicort. It's saved my life, makes it SO much more easy to manage. Now I never use Ventolin at all and I only have two puffs of this Symbicort at night... it's amazing. It's made my life so much easier.

December 30, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Asthma, improved, however the loss of my hair by almost 30% and effect in my voice by creating hoarseness, made me to stop the usage of the SYMBICORT.

July 26, 2012 5:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

After trying rescue inhaler and corticosteroid inhaler, I used Symbicort 3 times so far, 2 puffs morning and evening. I haven't experienced any asthma attack but a different type of breathing problem with burning sensation in my chest with nausea and I had to use rescue inhaler. Will call the doctor soon to see if lowering dosage will improve that.

July 25, 2012 9:15 AM

Review by MBP (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Generally, I have done quite well on this medicine when used in combination therapy. Lately, however I have developed a raspy voice and increased asthma symptoms. This may be unrelated to Symbicort and I will be seeing a physician shortly to address.

July 13, 2012 12:06 PM

Review by Colonel L (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I took Symbicort 200/6 for 6 years and although it's an effective asthma preventative I suffered an increased number of chest infections and couldn't tolerate temperatures above 30c/86f, this intolerance subsided within a few days of stopping.

May 2, 2012 6:11 PM

I have used many different types of inhalers for asthma control. Symbicort seems to work well, but may cause significant personality modification (nervous, angry at small things, anxiety over small things) and muscle/bone aching that is significant, especially if any work is done , even small things.

December 12, 2011 10:42 AM

Review by tillyblue:

I have been using Symbicort for the past two years. Before that I had constant chest infections and has loads of steroids and antibiotics. But since I was given this I can do a lot more and don't need my Ventolin very much at all.

October 10, 2011 3:56 PM

I have had asthma for some 20 years. Tried everything on the market. Was using rescue inhaler 10 times a day. Finally was put on Symbicort, and after one day was breathing easier. No coughing, wheezing, or tightness. Only side effect that has bothered me is, severe muscle cramps in my sides. I'll take cramps over not breathing any day.

September 8, 2011 11:45 AM

Review by anna2010:

4 years on Symbicort=no asthma. Very expensive here. Side effects yes, worst is any small knock on hands or arms result in instant bruises.

May 10, 2011 4:30 PM

As I got older my asthma got worse, and eventually my doctor gave me Symbicort. I absolutely loved it, and I would totally recommend it. I only had to use it once a day, and I was able to go about my day with no shortness of breath. I was finally confident enough to engage in a lot of activities without the fear of struggling. The only problem I had with this medication was that if I missed a dose I found that I would have a full blown asthma attack. I don't know if anyone else has had that problem.

May 7, 2011 10:32 PM

Review by reneezdaiszy:

I have been asthmatic for years, I was using my other inhaler up to 6 times a day, and then my doctor suggested Symbicort and it has been like a miracle. The first time I used it and ever since its just worked great, no more asthma at all. Amazing..anyway I have had no side effects so far...and I pray I don't so I can get back to exercising, I had to stop before, I would have an asthma attack every time. So no we will see if I can climb that hill.

January 29, 2011 7:24 PM

I can't live without it. The best asthma medicine ever! I don't use my rescue inhaler ever, and I can sleep all night without waking up gasping for air.

August 12, 2010 4:45 PM

Review by beachgoinanalyst:

Helps with maintenance and if I forget to take it, it usually starts working relatively quickly after I have taken my normal dosage.

July 19, 2010 9:32 PM

I'm a seasonal asthmatic. My worst months are May to September. I was using my Ventolin inhaler up to 8 times a day on the onset of my allergy season, so my Doctor put me on Symbicort. The effects were immediate. I've been using it for 2 weeks and haven't used my rescue inhaler since. My side effects are no different than the side effects of my inhaler - increased heart rate and dry cough.

June 15, 2010 2:52 PM

Review by wolflew:

Symbicort has made an amazing improvement in my Asthma since I started taking it. I have asthma triggered by pollen, grasses and weeds. During the pollen season here in Atlanta, I wore a mask to go outside. Now I don't have to. Our pollen season is long: March through to May and I was miserable until my Allergist (MD) put be on this medication. You have to give it a few days to take effect but then you can really feel the difference in your airways after you've taken the prescribed inhalations. P.S. I also take Allegra (antihistamine) - so the two products have helped me breathe like a normal person, finally.

May 29, 2010 5:44 PM